[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it better at Dc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 287
Thread images: 25

File: IMG_20170124_130932.jpg (89KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170124_130932.jpg
89KB, 640x1136px
Jim Starlin got paid more with the KGBeast appearing in Batman vs Superman than Drax, Thanos and Gamora in the marvel movies
>>
>>89379194
Hold the fucking phone on that boring shit, apparently there're dream granting Jalapeno Chedder Bagels!
>>
Didn't the same happened with the guy who created Wolverine and Lucious Fox? He received more for Fox's appearances than he ever did for Wolverine.
>>
>>89379207
Sounds pretty good actually

Also its (((marvel))) not surprising at all
>>
>>89379207
Does Jalapeno Cheddar Bagels qualify for DREAM status? Turn into Food Network and find out!
>>
>>89379224

Len Wein? yes he gets more money for Lucius Fox appearing in the Nolan movies than all the Wolverine appearances combined.
>>
>>89379224
Yep. Len Wein
>"Money comes with the anonymity, at least. I have contracts that guarantee me some small piece of the action. Lucius Fox has earned me a great deal more money than Wolverine ever has, although I will say that for the latest film Marvel did send me a nice cheque."
>>
Didn't the guy who created Rocket Raccoon get totally fucked over too?
>>
>>89379248
>>89379252

What's up with that?
>>
>>89379257
sort of, he has a brain disorder now so I think they just had him watch a special screening.
>>
>>89379257

Bill Mantlo who created Rocket and a shitload of other characters for Marvel was disabled in a hit and run car accident in the 90s and is brain damaged. He's not in any shape to contest anything so his brother represents him IIRC
>>
>>89379272

Yeah, but I imagine a large check could really benefit his family.
>>
>>89379194
... KGBeast was in Batman v. Superman? Was he the boring criminal guy with the neck tattoos that Batman burned alive?
>>
>>89379281

Yup.
>>
>>89379194
someone should ask Brolin if he got more for Jonah Hex than Thanos
>>
>>89379268
Probably depends on what kind of contract you signed, reminder that grant morrison had a ridiculous contract on arkham asylum and bought a castle with the money
>>
>>89379268
Even Dixon got alot of money from bane. We always get a piece of what Bane makes. We’ll see money from this movie. They have graphs and charts to figure out how much based on how many lines of dialogue he has and how much he’s in the movie and how much impact he has on the story… I still talk to Licensing at DC. They still e-mail me and talk to me on the phone. We’re copacetic there. I can’t say a bad word about DC there. They’re very diligent about following up on that front.
>>
>>89379281

Here's an odd one:

Steve Ditko was payed a good sum of money for MoS because of the Jack Ryder/Creeper, but gave it back.

Did anyone even remember Creeper being in it?
>>
How can one company be so based?
>>
>>89379316
>>89379319

Sounds like DC/WB just wants to make sure their ducks are in a row to avoid any kind of legal problems - they probably play it safe on the off chance that any one character has the potential to be a break out star.
>>
>>89379330
The Siegel/Shuster clusterfuck lawsuits since the 40s probably made them paranoid about shit like this
>>
I wonder how much Dini & Timm are getting for Harley
>>
>>89379330
Agredd after they almost lost superman.
>>
>>89379345

Good point. Forgot all about that.

Yeah, they're doing everything they can to avoid another situation like that.
>>
>>89379358
Give it a few years, now that they've given Bill Finger credit for Batman, the Finger estate is gonna come calling soon
>>
File: ClwuP_NUoAA5REp.jpg (25KB, 570x234px)
ClwuP_NUoAA5REp.jpg
25KB, 570x234px
>>89379319
it was supposed to be this guy but they got shot down at the last minute
>>
>>89379345
>>89379351
>>89379358

it's okay, Bob Kane ensured that DC kept the rights to Superman and Siegel & Shuster got fucked over.
>>
>>89379319
yeAh, they just change the character name to lex luthor
>>
>>89379368

Oh, yeah, that's the fucker. Goyer talked about it. They embargoed him so he couldn't use the character's name in the movie.
>>
>>89379351
>>89379330
>>89379345
>>89379358
>literally any reason to hate DC

its more than fucking Marvel does, what is your explanation for why they dont do it? If they arent getting sued left and right, what makes you think DC would?

Goddamn you are some fucking retards. Hang yourselves.
>>
>>89379389
Nigger what the fuck are you talking about, no one mentioned Marvel at any point
>>
>>89379404
bitch learn to read, you are all making excuses that DC is only doing this so they dont get sued, but Marvel doesnt do shit and they aint being sued. DC is doing it out of kindness when they dont need to.
>>
>>89379420

Possibly, or DC is doing it because they almost lost their most iconic character and they don't want that to happen to any of their properties again.
>>
>>89379420
>DC is doing it out of kindness when they dont need to.
What cucks
>>
>>89379434
then, like I ask, why isnt Marvel doing it? Where is Marvel being sued?
>>
>>89379420
Anon, they do it because they've been fighting Siegel and Shuster and their estates for close to 70 years at this point.
>>
>>89379434
>>89379437

>I need a reason to hate DC
hang yourselves
>>
>>89379440

They're not. Which is why Marvel's not doing it.
>>
>>89379404
Read the thread again, you idiot. Even the OP mentions how Starlin made more money off of a came in a DC movie than he has for 3 main characters in a movie.
>>
>>89379420
>DC is doing it out of kindness
>A corporation
>giving money away out of kindness

In what alternate reality do you live? Because I wanna go there.
>>
>>89379491
>quotes 4 posts that refer to DC and the Superman ownership case
>BUT MARVEL
>>
>>89379194
wait why are they getting money for their characters appearing?
>>
>>89379524
Yes, but marvel, because Marvel are acting like scum once again and they're getting away with it. No, scratch that, idiots like you think they're doing the RIGHT thing. You think DC gives a shit if they lose KGBeast true lawsuits like they did with Sueprman? They don't, it's a throwaway character. I can understand giving royalties to people that created their big name characters but giving Wein or Starlin a lot of money for creating Fox and KGBeast is not them covering their asses, especially since they know they aren't getting much from marvel for creating important and central characters for them.
Get your head out of your ass, Marvel has always been cheap, from the shit paper they use for their trades to the fact that they give the smallest amount of $/page to writers out of any comic book publisher.
>>
>>89379570
Royalties, contracts they had signed over characters etc etc.
>>
>>89379296
Of course he didn't, he's an actor, he always gets the big bucks, not like one of these filthy, lowbrow funny book "writers".
>>
>>89379594
but aren't those characters owner by the companies?

or there's licensing and they are only allowed to be used in comics without pay?
>>
>>89379570
Because they invented them...? You think JK Rowling is filthy rich out of book sales?
>>
File: 1392852460832.jpg (139KB, 600x697px) Image search: [Google]
1392852460832.jpg
139KB, 600x697px
>>89379272
>>
>>89379636
Dude, that's such a complicated mess that there's a legal dispute concerning Superman ownership and royalty rights that stretches for 70 years now.
>>
>>89379583
They get royalties for any character they created. It's not different rates for A, B, or C-list characters. It's a set amount on initial signing. Do you seriously think upon creating a character they go
>well this is gonna be a really important and central character in 40 years, so we'll give you more than we've given you for this other character
And again, this isn't Marvel. This is DC covering their asses because they know to cover their asses. They've had rights issues with creators in the past, so to prevent that they'd rather give a cut on creative to prevent any future problems. Marvel haven't had that problem with their creative, so they've never needed to give a higher incentive. Their past staff has been happy with whatever measly percentage they got since they haven't tried to take them to court over it.
>>
>>89379276

>On July 17, 1992, Mantlo was struck by a car while rollerblading. The driver of the car fled the scene and was never identified. Mantlo suffered severe head trauma. According to his biographer, cartoonist David Yurkovich, in 2006, "For a while Bill was comatose. Although no longer in a coma, the brain damage he suffered in the accident is irreparable. His activities of daily living are severely curtailed and he resides in a healthcare facility where he receives full-time care." Mantlo's brother describes the injury; "Bill is, and has been, trapped in a world of confusion and despair since his accident. The cognitive deficits he suffered have left him unable to reason or understand his situation, and he struggles daily to maintain any control over his own mind.

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>89379636
Thing is, where the hell is that money going if it's going to a company that audits paperclips?
>>
>>89379302
What? There's no way he got video game royalties when it had nothing to do with the book. Where'd the money come from?
>>
>>89379661
as far as i know Rowling is fully in control of the harry Potter IP. It's different that making characters for a company.
>>
>>89379716
>The cognitive deficits he suffered have left him unable to reason or understand his situation, and he struggles daily to maintain any control over his own mind
He better don't watch the GotG movies.
>>
>>89379716
Rollerblading. Not even once.
>>
>>89379786
Why would he? Or did he invent Arkham Asylum and I didn't know?
>>
File: bw24.jpg (23KB, 249x277px)
bw24.jpg
23KB, 249x277px
>>89379194
>Marvel is a bunch of kikes
>DC plays fair
>>
>>89379613
oh is that what these people are
>>
>>89379194
>Thanos

in all the 20 seconds of air time? I understand why hes adding them up but Thanos was barely anything yet
>>
>>89379861

Reportedly he was taken to a private screening of the movie and reacted with visible delight when Rocket appeared on-screen. So, hey, good for him. Nice that some tiny pinprick of happiness could pierce that haze of existential horror.
>>
http://thrillbent.com/blog/how-dc-contracts-work/
>>
>>89379901
> DC doesnt know how to write a contract so their movies flop because poor budgeting
> Marvel has a good legal/recruiting team

its funny because the less paid actors were in better movies.
>>
>>89379319
Steve Ditko is a real man. Thats why.
>>
>>89379931
>Did you like the scene in Batman Begins where young Bruce Wayne climbs a Himalayan mountain holding a blue flower? Christopher Priest got paid for having come up with that. Or the scene where Bruce Wayne picks out a potential Batmobile from among his own holdings? That was lifted from a Chuck Dixon-written comic, and Paul sent Dixon a check to acknowledge that. Same with dozens of similar moments in cartoons, DVDs, and so forth and so on.
I've always wondered if we'll get to a point where franchises that have been redeveloped completely by certain creative teams would end up with royalty credits as opposed to the original creator credits. Say X-Men at creation, and X-Men when Claremont takes over and revamps the entire franchise. Since every adaptation is based on his work, would he be getting the same royalties Lee and Kirby would have been getting for those adaptations since they were the original creators? Same with Daredevil pre and post-Miller
>>
>>89379950
>actors
>>
>>89379950
Nice butthurt, bro.
>>
File: 2x05_.png (154KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
2x05_.png
154KB, 320x240px
>>89379929
Well, you need to be mentally damaged to enjoy such a movie...
>>
>>89379957
>wants no royalties
All employees should be like him.
>>
>>89379716
Holy fuck...I HATED Bill Mantlo during the 80s for his run on Alpha Flight. I believed he ruined the franchise. The funny thing is, in recent years I have revisited that run and came to the realization that is Mantlo had not filled 75% of every single panel with wordy word balloons and practiced a little decompression his AF ideas would have been fantastic. Definitiely ahead of their time, (Walter Langkowski as wanda. Jean Paul as queer, and others.) His problem was fitting two thousand words per panel onto every page and rushing through every plot. But I did not know he ended up like this. Im very sad to hear it.
>>
>>89379912
More than Anatoli.
>>
>>89379268
DC has way better royalties for this type of stuff thanks to Levitz' tenure as VP and then President of DC, iirc
>>
>>89380085
Ditko is an Objectivist. He has a stern, fixed moral code only Ayn Rand could explain. He has always been this way my whole life and I am much older than many here. In his mind he probably thought he didnt do anything to deserve being paid so fuck marvel. I wouldve taken the money but so would chuck norris. Im not like Ditko and neither is Chuck. No one is desu.
>>
>>89380020
Wow, DC is legit. Marvel on the other hand continue being filthy Jews.
>>
>>89380160
>Objectivist employees are cheaper than Mexican illegals
Very interesting.
>>
>>89380099
Mantlo was also famous for plagiarizing, according to Jim Shooter. Of course, this came to an end the day he plagiarized Harlan Ellison...
>>
>>89380188
Ive read every single thing Rand ever wrote. I know a lot about Objectivist thinking though i cant understand how those people stay so locked into it. If Ditko felt he had contributed he would have demanded top dollar for it. Thats sortve the way they are. (I suggest Fountainhead for any interested. its a much better read and story than Atlas Shrugged in my opinion.)
>>
>>89380228
>Rand
That ugly lady who ended up signing for Social Security to heal her cancer?
>>
>>89379931
Ooh, nice. it's interesting that there was no drama behind it. Both companies just decided to revamp their hiring contracts.

>Mike and I signed a contract that grants us a small percentage of all revenue DC might earn off Impulse action figures, merchandise, guest-starring roles on Young Justice or Smallville, what have you.

that explains it. Sales out of comics get revenue & royalties per contract.

>it was totally at Paul’s discretion and only Paul knows what math he used to determine what he felt would be fair, but it was a goodwill gesture from an exec sympathetic to the creative community.

What's Paul doing now?

>>89380160
I think it's because Ditko's contract was work-for-hire and so the company isn't legally obligated. He must not like being gifted things

>>89380228
The only reason it lasted for so long is that Rand takes some elements from religion and uses it as ideology (ie. anyone who doesn't believe in objectivism is morally corrupted or some shit)
>>
>>89380277
>What's Paul doing now?

Last I remember he was writing those giant hardcover DC Golden Age/Silver Age retrospective books for Taschen.
>>
>>89379716
Holy fuck... creatives live in their heads.
>>
>>89380262
I wouldnt call her ugly. As far as the ssi goes i think her fans explain that using the meme that we pay in to it so its ours to collect or whatever. Im not defending her. I love pre-1960s writers and old books. I LOVE the prose of Gone With The Wind, the novel, as another example. It is written in a lush style that is lost today and it really is not appreciated by college students. (muh racism)
>>
>>89380320
>I LOVE the prose of Gone With The Wind, the novel
Anon... your taste is dead.
>>
>>89380277
He recently finished that Hipster Fate comic.
>>
>>89380320
I love when people refuse to read any literature by someone who was Christian, it's like they don't understand how much was saved by Monasteries after the fall of Rome. We owe a lot to those guys. It's not their fault it was the only show in town at the time.
>>
>>89380386
>no one mentioned religions
>he complains about anti-Christianity
/pol/ pls
>>
>>89380347
>Hipster Fate
at least we got some McCarthy issues towards the end
>>
I honestly wonder what Marvel's royalties contract is like, if it's absolutely nothing like DC's contract.
>>
>>89380428
>Marvel
>royalties
>ever
>>
>>89380177
A Jew (((Paul Levitz))) was the one who came up with DC's royalty payment system
>>
>>89380414
I mean, the whole run had great art, Sonny Liew, Ibrahim Moustafa, Inaki Miranda and Brendan fucking McCarthy. The wasted great art only makes me madder.
>>
>>89380458
A good one though, not the bendis kind of jew.
>>
>>89380428
basically all your royalties go to Stan Lee instead because you were dumb enough to let him put his name on your book back when you were inventing all these characters
>>
File: nw credits.jpg (67KB, 358x400px) Image search: [Google]
nw credits.jpg
67KB, 358x400px
Maybe Nightwing" is considered a separate entity as far as all the paperwork's concerned.
>>
>>89379583
>from the shit paper they use for their trades
Marvel uses better paper in floppies, trades, omnibuses, etc. tho.
>>
>>89379448
You already said that.
>>
File: Len Wein.png.jpg (53KB, 495x275px)
Len Wein.png.jpg
53KB, 495x275px
>>89380482
>>
>>89379194
Obviously. Marvel is owned by Jews (Disney and Perlmutter). What did he expect?
>>
>>89380410
I was commenting on people's inability to respect that people are a product of their time. Like that shit about taking down statues of people who said a racist thing, meanwhile they were an integral abolitionist.
>>
>>89379194
But KGB is unrecognizable and dead, unlike the rest,

Cash over Art eh?
>>
>>89380480
notalljews
>>
>>89380482
Every time I see him appear in one of the films I want to punch his face. Not a vicious, elderly killing punch, just a "fuck you" sort of punch.
>>
Marvel Horror Stories are basically shitty conditions thanks to Ike's Kikery and sad alphanerds measuring how big their dicks are based on how long they've been a Marvelslave.
DC Horror Stories are Women stay out of the rapist cage please.
>>
Who gives a shit about KGBeast anyways, hes a shitty character, always has been
>>
>>89380526
Is there a historical reason they're all up in them entertainments or what?
>>
>>89380528
>Mark Twain spoke against slavery
>hated Indians
No one likes a hypocrite, /pol/.
>>
>>89379281
>boring
He wasn't the main villain.
He didn't need to be a cartoon.
>>
>>89380542
>quipping idiots
>""""""art""""""
>>
>>89380577
>sad alphanerds measuring how big their dicks are based on how long they've been a Marvelslave
We have those in every cape movie thread.
>>
>>89380607
Exactly imagine how bad it is when it's your actual coworker and you're working the same shitty job?
>>
>>89379467
Okay but aside from maybe the Finger estate, DC doesn't have anything controversial worth suing over. Especially Marvel on the other side of the fence adapting characters and specific takes (like Gaurdians) new and old while giving jack shit to the creators. What did Bill Mantalo get? A viewing of GotG on his deathbed? The whole pony is that DC is paying out more for obscure name checks than Marvel is for Thanos.
>>
>>89380584
this but Thanos
>>
>>89379950
>flop
Inigo_Montoya.exe
>>
>>89379583
>Get your head out of your ass, Marvel has always been cheap
This is now a Perlmutter thread. Post dank Perlmutters

>employees now have to purchase bathroom tokens
>remember to leave your paper water cup and re-use it every day (25 bucks per small paper cup, no outside cups allowed)
>any time an editor has to use the internet or an encyclopedia, he has to pay 20 dollars
>new breathing fee: five cents for breath
>>
>>89380584
Tolya's is my fave bat-villain so i care, fuck you anon
>>
>>89380277
I don't know about that re: Ditko. He certainly cared about who between him and Lee was the creator of Spider-Man... but that could a pride thing more than a money thing.
>>
>>89380644
Trump advisor too. Interesting times...
>>
Just a friendly reminder GotG was filmed when Ike Perlmutter was still in charge of the MCU.
>>
>>89380684
And it was shit.
>>
>>89380684
That explains the cheap writing and the cheap director.
>>
>>89379716
Ughhh! I hate it when anyone has to suffer. I wish there were some way to help him out.
>>
>>89380593
Christians denied them many spots in society
>>
>>89380783
Rabbi pls.
Usury is immoral.
>>
>>89380020
Perhaps this is the real reason why movies are hesitant to use comic book stories and make up their own OC's?
>>
>>89380262
>signing for Social Security to heal her cancer?
The way this was worded made me laugh.

"Want to cure your cancer?"
"Yes!"
"Just sign here!"
>>
>>89380228
I'll just wait until Snyder makes the Fountain-Head movie.
>>
>>89380886
But the fact she was a fraud makes you cry.

>>89380831
>movies are hesitant to use comic book stories and make up their own OC's
wut
>>
>>89380901
Meh, it's easy to pay the libertarian when you have money. Look at RDJ, he says he's one but then you see him asking people to vote.
>>
>>89380574
I can't punch an elderly person because it would be unjust, so I made an anti-aging ray and shot Stan Lee with it so I could punch him while he's in his prime. Then I put him back to normal and broke the ray.
>>
>>89380498
They use horrible paper and their ttades, floppies and omnibuses are on average more expensive than other publishers. The only thing their collections did right is that they switched to sewn bindings earlier.
>>
>>89379194
Is this the power of Jalapeno Cheddar Bagels?
>>
>>89380931
If they use specific comic book stories they have to pay the person who invented them so they make their own up instead. Same with characters (eg Rachel).
>>
>>89380783
>HEBES OUT MUH EVERYTHING but here hold on to my money for me. Maybe put on a show.
>>89380595
I don't get what you're on about.
>>
>>89380997
Multiculturalism? Sure.

>>89381005
As far as I know, so far they have been using elements and characters from different stories.
>>
>>89380458
>echoing even after prefacing with "A Jew"
???Are you virtue signalling to /pol/ of all fucking places?
>>
>>89379931
So taking off from Waid's own example, this is the reason why Doom was so heavily changed from Tower of Babel.
>>
>>89381083
It's /co/mblr.
>>
>>89380577
what's even more infuriating is that more fuel was given to DC's fire when it was something that happened years ago. Ike is still actively jewing out and interfering with comics like with the Nu-Inhumans
>>
Len Wein got more money from Lucius Fox in the Nolan movies than he ever got from Wolverine.

Levitz i think started making sure people got money for their creations, glad someone is keeping it alive
>>
>>89379786
Not the video game. He got that much money just from A Serious House on Serious Earth.
>>
>>89381152

dude bought a castle with the money
>>
>>89381180
And went on a world trip, did a lot of drugs, visited aliens.
>>
>>89381150
>Levitz i think started making sure people got money for their creations, glad someone is keeping it alive
He isn't president anymore so the payment policy is stricter now.
>>
>>89381150
He Brought a new house with that money, since his old burn down. When I work for DC, anything I create I get a piece of. Lucius Fox, for example, who was in the last trilogy of Batman movies played by Morgan Freeman, bought my new house. The short version is that an old electric heater in the bathroom apparently sparked and set fire to a pile of papers. Len and Michael were in the house asleep. Len woke up, managed to wake up Michael, and both escaped. Their dog, Sheba, was used to hiding in the bathroom, and evidently confused, went in and perished.

The house is badly damaged, and many, many irreplaceable possessions were destroyed. Len and Chris, as evidenced by Facebook postings, are as okay as could be expected under the circumstances but are mourning the loss of their pet. They did have insurance, of course, and will have temporary housing for up to six months while the house is rebuild.
>>
>>89379786
He means the 1989 graphic novel you idiot. It was released around the time Burton's Batman was released, the batmanua turned Grant a millionaire over night.
>>
>>89381180
Actually not as impressive as it sounds. Castles are drafty and expensive to heat, so they're much more affordable than you would think due to low demand.
>>
>>89380542
>Cash over Art eh?

Dance off bro!
>>
>>89381271
>>89381180
You mean a gate into the Multiverse.
>>
>>89379636
this was during the jeatte kahn era. DC had very generous contracts then giving the talent royalties for future use.
>>
>>89380625
What could they do? Bob Kane supposedly strong armed them so they couldn't even acknowledge Finger for many years who was dead in the 70s and since then DC didn't even know Finger's had a granddaughter and were instead sending money to the guy who had taken care of Finger's son after he had contracted and died of HIV.
>>
>>89379950
lol @ mouseketeers
>>
It should not be a secret that marvel does NOT take care of their own.

Len Wein not getting much isn't really a marvel issue though. Marvel likely gets very little money from those movies from Fox.

However, remember when the cast of Avengers during AoU production all seemed to want out of their contracts? They all had 2 movies left and were done. Because Chris Hemsworth made more money doing non-marvel movies than 3 movies as thor. That's stupidly retarded. Marvel does not value its writers, actors, artists. Stan Lee gets insane amounts of money. Ike likely does too. They cut everywhere they can.

Im glad Starlin is being public about this. Not talking about how much money you make is a way for companies to pay you less. The creators certainly deserve a cut, if WB/DC can afford to.....man marvel can too.
>>
>>89379194
>Marvel are super Jews and a terrible company
>More news at 10!

Seriously, after all the shit they pull how in the fuck are casuals still surprised by this?
>>
>>89381761
Casuals are very dumb.
>liked their movies
>that means they're good people too!
>>
>>89379330
It's because Levitz and Neal Adams fought to get the DC royalty program changed so that people working for DC don't end up homeless and freeze to death sleeping in a cardboard box near the Potomac once the work dries up.

Which has its positives and negatives. Basically the royalty program is from a certain year forwards. Like 1975 or something. That's why DC is happy to put out collected editions of Golden Age Superman like those b&w Showcase books, but only to a certain time. Cause they don't have to pay shit for that. But newer stuff? Not so much. That's why they canceled the Suicide Squad showcase.
>>
>>89382061
But they published a Showcase presents Blue Beetle, and they reprint many comics in digital.
>>
>>89381608
And people wonder why they keep snatching up amateurs to write and draw their books.
>>
>>89381608
Stan Lee does not work for Marvel and isn't seeing any money from the movies/comics/merchandise (outside of whatever they pay him to do cameos).
>>
>>89382450
>isn't seeing any money from the movies/comics/merchandise
Nigga is, he managed to have Ike pay him even more than he got.
>>
>>89382450
>Not seeing money
Oh lord anon, that's a laugh.

He gets paid MILLIONS per movie and has a several million dollar annual fee. He has basically blackmailed the company under threat of legal action.
>>
>>89382450
>isn't seeing any money from the movies
Oh boy, some post how he outjewed Ike the Kike.
>>
>>89380593
Jews are extremely nepotistic so one Jew probably worked his way up and roped in the rest of his buddies.

>>89380783
I WISH!
>>
>seriously thinking a lizard person would ever care about creators' reparations
>>
File: 1463782455029-co.gif (2MB, 300x200px)
1463782455029-co.gif
2MB, 300x200px
>>89379194
That's not surprising actually.
http://www.fortressofsolitude.co.za/2017/01/comicbook-com-rig-best-2016-poll/
>>
>>89379268
It's some really convoluted bullshit about the name of the movie.

The Wolverine apparently netted him a decent cheque (not as much as the Lucius Fox royalties, but he described it as nice), but the other movies (including X-Men Origins: Wolverine) didn't get him shit all.
>>
>>89379661
>You think JK Rowling is filthy rich out of book sales?
She was filthy rich due to book and mech sales even before the movie deal
>>
>>89382648
>Twitter bots
>rigged polls
>bribed critics
>DC survives all that
Man, this publisher is really heroic.
>>
>>89380663
He's not quite an adviser. They're close friends.
>>
>>89380020
I would assume they split the royalties between the two parties. The creator would get some, the writer whose work it is based on would get some.

That being said, Marvel's royalties are different to DCs. It avoids paying them whenever possible.
>>
>>89379434
>Possibly, or DC is doing it because they almost lost their most iconic character

Except this has been happening before the lawsuits over Superman. Len Wein got paid for usage of Lucius Fox during the Dark Knight Trilogy. And back in the 90's and 00's when Levitz was in charge, the contracts were even more favorable, since creators were getting paid even for lines used in films. After Levitz stepped down WB reduced what creators could get paid for yet still pays them for usage of characters they created.
>>
File: S70120-014249.jpg (245KB, 720x1280px)
S70120-014249.jpg
245KB, 720x1280px
>>89382769
A *National* comics indeed.
>>
>>89379387
>embargoed the creeper
but why?
>>
>>89382648
>>89382769
Truly, it is the comics publisher of Superman.
>>
>>89380386
>refuse to read any literature by someone who was Christian,
which is... basically 90% of the world's literature available in the English language?
>>
>>89382921
>the Marvel CEO and a WB film producer
Democracy.
>>
>>89382921
Ugh, lucky that we progressives prefer Disney.
>>
>>89382061
>That's why they canceled the Suicide Squad showcase.

And then put it out in color, after negotiating a deal with Ostrander. They couldn't do it as a showcase because it'd have cost too much to print with the normal royalties. Keep in mind it'd have been 500 pages with a a cheap seventeen dollar retail price tag, and I think you have to pay royalties per page reprinted or something like that.
>>
>>89379348
None because they created her for WB and not in a DC comic.

That's why Roxy Rocket was created in a comic first instead.
>>
>>89380072
Sounds like you enjoyed the movie a lot
>>
>>89385424
>Trump can't decide for DC or Marvel so he got one of each
>>
>>89382450
He gets royalties from every comic l, movie, and video game that includes characters he created

So literally everything
>>
>>89382805
He got appointed to a position in the VA
>>
>>89385635
>they canceled the Suicide Squad showcase.
>And then put it out in color, after negotiating a deal with Ostrander
Based, very based.

>>89386107
And he's going to be handling the money for veterans. Expect more vets living in the street, folks!
>>
>>89386107
Oh, never mind then. I wasn't aware of that
>>
>>89380972
The cardstock they use for trades is trash too
>>
>>89379583
Precedent.
>>
>>89386089
>I hate to admit this, but I do not share in the movie's profits. I just share in the interviews, in the glamour, in the people saying, "Wow, I love that movie, Stan" -- but I'm not a participant in the profits.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/14/showbiz/movies/stan-lee-avengers/index.html

He sued Marvel years ago to get 10% of all profits from the characters he created. He was winning at first, but Marvel eventually settled with him for a one time payment of $10 million for all past and future claimed payments. He still gets $1 million a year from Marvel as Chairman Emeritus, an honorary title. That's it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/29/business/media/marvel-settles-with-a-spiderman-creator.html
>>
>>89386952
>characters he created
So he gets a 10% of 0?
>>
>>89379950
>less paid actors
Not even shilling here but Robert Downey Half-The-Budget Junior would disagree.
>>
Hol up...
KGBeast was in BvS??
>>
>>89387003
we did that joke already
>>
>>89387003
No, but they used his real name in BvS.
>>
>>89386992
kej

>>89386997
You know what they say! Half-a-man means half-a-budget!
>>
>>89379194

Do you think poor artists ever try to convince screenwriters to include random name drops like this so that they can get easy royalties?

It seems to easy to not do all the time.
>>
>>89379194
WB has always had a family-life structure. They take care of their actors/directors/writers/creative people. That's why they stick by Zack Snyder, that's why actors like working for them. They know that WB actually cares about them.
>>
>>89387168
When you're making a superhero cinematic universe, dropping names and events is obligatory. Just like in the comics.
>>
>>89387180
And that's what makes them OK in my book, no matter if their movies fail.
>>
>>89379503
If DC was making coat hangers or coffee machines, you'd be right, but their main product depends on creative input from their employees, and they recognize that treating those people well and giving them a good living makes for better output.
But I guess making employees bring their own toilet paper like Ike does works too.
>>
>>89379277
A large check benefits his family, his brother has stated that Marvel has been a god send in taking care of his brother.
>>
>>89387354
they also helped PAD when he got that stroke, IIRC
>>
>>89379704
>"Marvel has been nothing less than, ahem, 'marvelous' in all of our dealings with them," Mantlo stated, when asked to summarize the relationship between his family and the company.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvels-negotiations-rocket-raccoon-creator-723966
>>
>>89379281
>Was he the boring criminal guy with the neck tattoos

He was pretty cool, creepy af.
>>
>>89387311
This 100%. Productivity is an important aspect of the job and having an irritated staff will ruin that.

>when you realize that Marvel is evil Lex and DC is Bruce Wayne
>>
>>89383225
Probably because he's technically a Batman related character since he lives in Gotham.
>>
>>89387705
>Lex tries to run Wayne out of business all the fucking time
>Wayne shrugs it off, always
Good comparison.
>>
>>89380428
Depends on what time your contract was signed. Liefeld makes BANK off Deadpool, like he could never work again and he'd be set
>>
>>89379389
Nah both companies are trash when it comes to paying creators. Why do you think everyone is fleeing to image?
>>
>>89388211
>working for any of the Big 3
MY comics company is so obscure, it doesn't even have a name! AND we pay well.
>>
File: 141.png (80KB, 430x240px)
141.png
80KB, 430x240px
>>89388211
>everyone is fleeing to image
>>
>>89379931
>I’m not eager to start seeing more “Mark Waid Bashes On DC” tweets:
>>
>>89388211
Everyone's putting out an Image book because they want to be the next Robert Kirkman
>>
>>89380496
Nightwing would be kind of tricky, I imagine. Not only because the character used to be Robin, but because the name isn't original. It was used by that superhero in Kandor.
>>
>>89388363
But Kirkman sucks.
>>
>>89388548
Sure but his comic was adapted into a wildly popular TV series
>>
>>89388668
Yeah, one comic. One.
>>
>>89379714
>It's a set amount on initial signing

Its really not, its a well known fact that they dont get shit for work for hire, but Levitz started the trend of paying comic writers for using their stuff in movies and it stuck. Its completely out of the kindness of their hearts.
>>
>>89388734

And that's all you need anon. He could probably retire with comic,TV and merch money.

Make something and it's popular and explodes, you're set. Image is the future.
>>
>>89388211
>both are trash about paying to creators
>in a thread specifically about how Morrison made enough from DC to buy a castle, Wein a house, and Starlin buttloads of money

kys you idiot, your genes are cancer
>>
>>89388937
Do you really think he's gonna breed anyway, anon?
>>
>>89381235
I wonder if Len Wein got any royalties when Cain showed up in Justice League Action, since the character was visually based on him.
>>
>>89388903
For every TWD there is a 100 books that never become that big.
>>
>>89389168
That isn't going to stop those 100 writers from trying though
>>
>>89389189
Poor fools.
>>
>>89389336
>get to write whatever they want
>probably make more money off it than at Marvel or DC
>ha ha what idiots!
>>
File: Catwoman (1993-2001) 072-017.jpg (113KB, 526x1070px) Image search: [Google]
Catwoman (1993-2001) 072-017.jpg
113KB, 526x1070px
>>89389418
>probably make more money off it than at Marvel or DC
Confirmed for Image shill.
>>
>>89381323
So he made his on religion?
>>
>>89389468
>get a majority of the profits from comic sales
>get all royalties since you own the characters and work
>sexy merchandising checks

Yeah no it sounds way more lucrative.
>>
>>89387463
This warms my cynical as fuck heart.
>>
>>89389537
>you can make millions at Image!
>>
>>89389537
>comic sales
Not enough to pay the bills.
>get all royalties
>sexy merchandising checks
For what? If no one adapts your book, there is no royalties and no merchandising.
>>
>>89389572
In the long term its more lucrative.
>>89389606
So make a good comic then.

Also,
>implying you need to have your work adapted to have merchandise based on it.

Dumbass.
>>
>>89379224
Does no-one here know how to spell Lucius, or know what 'luscious' means?
>>
>>89389606
>Not enough to pay the bills
It can be since they don't have to be huge sellers to be successful and they get a substantial cut of those sweet sweet trade sales
>>
>>89381323
He's so damn smug
>>
>>89389646
>So make a good comic then.
Many people did so but they haven't become rich; so cut the shilling, Image.
>>
>>89389666
>the Luscious Fox porn star failed meme that never took off
Too bad I can't draw.
>>
>>89389646
>In the long term its more lucrative.
Only if you're making sales.

You're the only person making the series, it's not like the big 2 where they keep going and going with new writers/artists.

and the fact is the vast majority of Image comics make very few sales compared to cape comics.

>>89389666
Maybe we just think those lips are really lucius
>>
>>89379389

They weren't bitching about DC you weirdo. They were explaining that DC's model of paying the creators is influenced by the Siegel/Shuster shenanigans.

But if we are going to look at Marvel being shitheads about it look at Stan Lee stealing shit off Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko.
>>
>>89389418

I'll explain the actual reason why a lot of successful creators decide to make books for Image.

Lets say you have an idea for a comic book in your mind, and it doesn't require the IP of Marvel or DC.

You pitch it to Marvel or DC (probably DC because of Vertigo, but whatever). DC or Marvel like the idea and want to publish it for you. But the issue is that if you're a good writer they also want you to maybe write some other character for them too, because if you've come up with a good story based on OC characters then surely you can come up with an ide to make Booster Gold or the 29th Ghost Rider interesting?

Or you go to Image, have at least a slight name and they're like "we'll publish it".

It's why a lot of people have gone to Image to publish their OC ideas.
>>
>>89393144
>But the issue is that if you're a good writer they also want you to maybe write some other character for them too, because if you've come up with a good story based on OC characters then surely you can come up with an ide to make Booster Gold or the 29th Ghost Rider interesting?
Nah, if anything the issue is that they wanna take your OCs and shove them into shitty team books or events that destroy the narrative you're trying to make.

Your idea is only your idea until they decide to change it.
>>
>>89386107
>>89386134
>And he's going to be handling the money for veterans. Expect more vets living in the street, folks!
This really bums me out.
>>
>>89393192

If it's a Vertigo book it probably isn't going to be shoved into a Team book or event.
>>
>>89393617
Honestly it's more of the reverse. If you're a DC book you've got a pretty good chance of getting into Vertigo. Swamp Thing, Animal, Constantine, hell even Sandman have deep ties to the DCU
>>
>>89393617
DC you'd likely have better luck, yeah.

If you're making a decent story and it's not selling awful they'd probably just let you do your own thing.

Marvel no way. If it gets a taste of popularity your character becomes the new town bike.
>>
File: 1469167871029.jpg (109KB, 679x864px) Image search: [Google]
1469167871029.jpg
109KB, 679x864px
>>89379194
NO!
>>
>>89393674

Y: The Last Man; Preacher; Transmetropolitan; Fables, and others won't be pulled into the DCU.

Sandman was a DCU character before Neil Gaiman remade the character I mean his story has fucking Batman in it; Swamp Thing was as well; and Constantine did too. Hell if you read Moore's pitch for Twilight of the Superheroes Constantine is the MAIN character.
>>
>>89379194
B-But Disney told me DC was shit and full of assholes!
>>
>>89379950
Mouse niggers i swear to shit.
>>
At this point I don't care about any live action but it's good that creators I care about are getting taken care of
>>
>>89381608
Ike doesn't get the name "Ike the Kike" for nothing. Even amongst the jews in Hollywood he has a reputation.
>>
>>89394507
do you send a royalty check every year to the architect who designed your house?
>>
>>89394712
I don't know what you're talking about here. I'm not saying the companies have to pay them but it's nice that people I enjoy are getting paid.
>>
>>89394712
Are you in charge of those anti-piracy ads that say that you wouldn't steal a car, by any chance?
>>
>>89394712
No, because the architect doesn't have it in his contract, you dumbass.
>>
>>89394745
suddenly I don't like disney MCU movies anymore.
>>
File: VandalSavage.jpg (96KB, 1920x1080px)
VandalSavage.jpg
96KB, 1920x1080px
>>89379194

...tell me more about these bagels.
>>
A reminder that this cunt tried to end DC/WB's participation program.
>>
>>89395314
>participation program
hm?
>>
>>89395433
About two years ago Gerry Conway got a check for Power Girl & a letter from Diane Nelson saying this was the last payment he was ever going to get from WB ever again.

Lee & Didio apparently stepped up & convinced her to keep the program in place. I"ll always give them credit for that.
>>
>>89395968
>Lee & Didio

Based Lee and Didio.
>>
>>89379194
>Jim Starlin got paid more with the KGBeast appearing in Batman vs Superman than Drax, Thanos and Gamora in the marvel movies

Makes sense.

Thanos, Drax and Gamora were all created in the 70s, whereas KGBeast was a late 80s creation, and the explosion of creator rights that happened in the first half of the decade as the direct market took off.
>>
>>89395968
>>89396090
That's really cool! I wonder what they did.
>>
>>89397446
Probably just argued that it made them more attractive to talent. They still couldn't stop her from killing Vertigo (or at least I believe the change of everything made there belonging to WB was her fault, correct me if I'm wrong) anyway so maybe it didn't seem like that big of a deal to give in on it.
>>
>>89379194
>>89379901
>DC plays fair
What the actual fuck are you talking about?

Do none of you retards remember Bill Finger? The ridiculous legal battles of siegel and shuster?
>>
>>89397967
>historic wrongs mean the current rights don't count

k
>>
File: 1459210335981.jpg (91KB, 600x448px)
1459210335981.jpg
91KB, 600x448px
>>89379950
disney always wins baby!
>>
>>89394712
>do you send a royalty check every year to the architect who designed your house?
No, but the construction company sends a check to the architect every time they use his design

Most houses are pre-designed, it's not like every house has it's own custom architect.
>>
>>89379268
Ikes and Foxes are cheap skates
>>
>>89397446
You know they spitroasted her.
>>
very interesting thread, gentlemen.
>>
>>89386952
A million a year? Shit, that must be rough.
>>
>>89397446
>That's really cool! I wonder what they did.
Jim "9 kids is nothing" Lee
>>
>>89401083
this
>>
>>89397446
Johns Also did the same from Tony Isabella.
>>
So what I get from this thread is DC is full of bleeding-heart liberals and Marvel is full of sound-minded fiscal conservatives?

lol no wonder DC can't ever win.
>>
>>89405262
So what you get from your post is another cent?
>>
>>89405262
More that DC has always taken the long-term view when it comes to creators and the market while Marvel is incapable of doing anything but chasing the next month regardless of the problems that causes (variants, datedness, no evergreen tpbs, fill-ins, bad creator treatment causing multiple waves of Image exoduses, this weird war its having with its own properties like X-Men, FF, old Nick Fury which they've done before with both the FF and the Avengers, the direct market, over shipping to maintain "market dominance"... movie tie-ins) it means they will always seem more "relevant" or "successful" and they may hit a few out of the park because everyone does sometimes but they also generate a lot of waste, shitty books, and market problems everyone else has to deal with.

It allows them to be both shitty to work for and desirable to work for. Which is not supposed to happen in a market assuming equal bargaining power and low transaction costs... but there you have it.
>>
File: Absolutely Disgusting.jpg (26KB, 435x326px) Image search: [Google]
Absolutely Disgusting.jpg
26KB, 435x326px
>>89387180
I have never seen such corporate dick sucking in my life.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
9KB, 225x225px
> Current Happenings:
https://gitgud.io/gamergate/gamergateop/tree/master/Current-Happenings
CURRENT TASKS:
PRIORITY TARGET: CONTACT THE IRS REGARDING FEMFREQ POTENTIAL VIOLATION ON POLITICAL CAMPAIGNING.
https://archive.is/mwfP5
1. HIT VICE IN ITS WEAK SPOT FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE
>>>/gamergatehq/319806
https://p.teknik.io/AjPB2
2. OPEASYONEHOURSALVO
https://pastebin.com/V2eFA9GE (Last updated November 29th, 2016)
3. Archive.is isn't sure you'll donate money to them. Prove them wrong: https://liberapay.com/archiveis/donate
4. OP DISNOD 2: REBOOT. The Blizzard staff email addresses were added for easy emails.
>>>/gamergatehq/328644
5. Defend Free Speech! Anti-Internet Censorship Database Operation:
>>>/gamergatehq/329022
6. Dig for info regarding the ESA, (also ECA, IARC)
>>>/gamergatehq/329602
7. OP ESRBusted! Expose the ESRB for being against developers and consumers.
>>>/gamergatehq/329225
>>
File: marlel.jpg (117KB, 800x1011px)
marlel.jpg
117KB, 800x1011px
>>89379194
>>
>>89405262
Good afternoon, Mr Perlmutter! How are you this fine day?
>>
Not surprised. Len Wein has gone on record saying that Lucius Fox's appearances on the TDK trilogy pretty much paid his new house, a high-contrast with Wolverine's live-action appearances which he gets minor royalties.
>>
>>89379224
DC's always been bad at contract law. It's how they ended up with the Fawcett back catalog and brought a years-long lawsuit over it that they were forced to settle.
>>
>>89379268
>>89379302
It maybe goes with story credits in that case, though Warren Ellis said he got nothing for Extremis on IM3 (and said so before it released).

I would guess at some point creators started giving up story rights as well as character rights because that would make it simpler to finance movies/tv shows in future (nobody wants to even try if there's any question of a veto from someone, which means no loans, no investors), in return for which they're probably getting a higher page rate than before. Or maybe not; but if you get the same rate as before and your work isn't being turned into movies or tv shows, have you given anything up at all? Most stories will never get adaptations. A lot of them are just plain bad.
>>
>>89409121
what kind of trailer does he live in?
>>
File: 1480838353503.png (158KB, 700x700px)
1480838353503.png
158KB, 700x700px
>>89408061
>>
>>89405262
>sound-minded fiscal conservatives?
After the brutality that was Stan Lee metaphorically beating Perlmutter into a thin paste?

Sound-minded no
Thread posts: 287
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.