[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do /co/ characters hate broccoli and Brussels sprouts? They're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

Why do /co/ characters hate broccoli and Brussels sprouts? They're delicious.
>>
>>89319841
cruciferous vegetables, that is those of the cabbage family, contain sulfurogenic compounds that result in the release of large amounts of hydrogen sulfide (and potentially sulfuric acid in your digestive system) making them stink and upset your insides, followed by the worst farts ever

IF they're cooked wrong. which they almost always are. brussels sprouts in particular are mainly popular in the UK, where the history of cooking is basically "if it's not boiled yet, boil it"
>>
A couple different reasons. It's a trope based on a grain of truth. A lot of children do genuinely reject eating their vegetables sometimes. Part of it is biological. At a young age, a kid's sense of taste is more sensitive, and they have an easier time being put off by new flavors that an adult won't notice as bad. Especially since some vegetables like brussel sprouts and broccoli can very easily be ruined if the person preparing them doesn't put much effort into them. A person, like say, a busy mom who doesn't have time or resources to put into fixing a more tasteful meal, and who themselves may very well have been raised in a generation and culture that just fucking boiled all their food to shit and in turn picked up that method themselves.

And then part of it is psychological, which is where the trope gets into an awful cycle. Kids are taught by media that vegetables are icky, and shit like fried chicken tenders and ice cream and candy is tasty. So with their impressionable minds they buy that perspective, which in turn feeds into the accepted idea that kids don't like their vegetables. Then we get into cartoon characters, which are aimed at kids, and usually are children themselves, or childlike characters the audience is meant to identify with. They don't like their vegetables because its assumed the child audience doesn't like their vegetables, and will identify with the character based partly on this common ground.

Now, as to why broccoli specifically over, say turnip or avocado or something: broccoli is a popular vegetable with a very distinctive color and shape that is easy to draw, so it's the most obvious choice. Brussel sprouts are also a nice bright and distinctively green color.
>>
>>89320301
Don't forget kids are significantly more sensitive to both pathogens and indigestion, due to their much higher stomach pH and lack of a complete set of digestive bacteria. Plus, they have a much lower dietary fiber requirement and a higher sugar requirement, what with the whole 'small, growing body and growing brain' thing, so vegetables aren't even that necessary for them aside from making sure they get their vitamins and minerals.
>taught by the media
I dunno where you grew up but all the media I listened to was shrieking at me to eat only vegetables and stop eating meat, sugar, and anything with fat, as if those aren't also vital forms of sustenance, and I know for a fact that bullshit has only gotten heavier since I was a kid. chelly obammy killed the cereal mascots and the mcdonaldland characters, the bitch.
>>
>>89319841
Because the Brussels sprouts are always broiled instead of cut in half and roasted.
>>
>>89320404
oh, and more susceptible to poisoning too, I left that part out. that's why bitter things bother them so easily. Really adult humans enjoy a lot of foods that just about nothing else likes because they have 'please for the love of god don't eat me' chemicals running through them, that we actually like.. and sometimes that does us a favor, like onions and garlic
>>
>>89320449
cut in half and steamed is pretty nice too. Just put them in a pan with maybe a centimeter of water for 5-10 minutes with a generous amount of salt, and then throw in a pat of butter when the water dries up and lightly fry them
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (300KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
300KB, 1000x1000px
>Trusting a plant that looks like this.
>>
>>89319841
I thought it started because Bush Sr. hated broccoli
>>
>>89320404
>chelly obammy killed the cereal mascots and the mcdonaldland characters, the bitch.

She did that? Well she's gone now.
>>
>>89320554
i always wondered what they looked like. I guess I assumed they were the same as cabbages, just a head growing on the ground, but smaller
>>
>>89320404
>all the media I listened to was shrieking at me to eat only vegetables and stop eating meat, sugar, and anything with fat

That's what parents and the school system wanted to teach me, but all the entertainment I watched like The Power Puff Girls, Tiny Toons, Doug, and Kids Next Door tried to make me buy that veggies are some kinda evil plot set up by adults to torture kids or something. Popeye is the only not "educational television" tier or toddler entertainment character that I can think of who actually told me vegetables are great. Oh and I remember a lot of cartoons that would poke fun at educational tv too, and since it was less funny, I'd reject that stuff also.
>>
>>89320449
With bacon. I'm not one of those "add bacon to everything" fags, but brussel sprouts are genuinely improved by bacon.
>>
>>89320688
I guess I was old enough to recognize that PPG was being ironic by having the girls' fear become evil aliens.
it helps that my dad was a fantastic cook and a total bro that enjoyed watching cartoons with us, so he could explain it's just a joke and then cook us some good veg
but I still had my pickiness back then. I couldn't stand mustard for a while
>>
>>89320714
cabbage and salted, smoked, cured pork have gone together since the beginning of time. from china to ireland
>>
>>89319841
>Broccoli
When prepared right, absolutely

>Brussel Sprouts
Never
>>
>>89321003
i know it's hard to believe, but they really CAN be delicious. Buttery and full of roasted wonderful flavor that's kinda hard to describe. You ever have like "greens"? like spinach, collard, etc, cooked until they're soft, and you know how they have that juice that just tastes great? well-cooked brussels sprouts are kinda like that. it's very glutamic.
>>
>>89320851
>I guess I was old enough to recognize that PPG was being ironic by having the girls' fear become evil aliens.

See, I was young, but I still got the joke that "it's silly because of course a harmless little stalk of broccoli isn't going to hurt you," but at the same time I was impressionable enough to think "I like Buttercup and I wanna be cool like Buttercup, and she thinks broccoli is icky, so I do too!"

I was raised by a mum who wasn't a stellar cook on her own, and who also had bought into the vegetables are gross meme herself enough to come in thinking trying to get me to eat mine would be a losing battle. I still appreciate her over my aunt, who has no amount of cooking skills and a serious case of baby mouth.
>>
>>89321083
Well that explains it...
Because I don't really like those either
>>
>>89321235
My mom once made some corned beef and cabbage that made me literally vomit. i felt so bad for making her feel so bad, but she was just a terrrrible cook. Marrying my dad was a good idea, if only they'd stuck together.
>>89321296
well then it's possible your body just doesn't need that shit. we all have different needs after all. I have some theories on the subject..
>>
>>89319841
Because they don't understand that steaming and buttering green vegetables is a thing that's possible.
>>
>>89321811
Slapping a big slab of butter on plain boiled vegetables was always my mum's answer to her shit cooking and it really didn't work. I'm sure that's not quite what you meant, though. It's just what I think of when I hear "buttered vegetable."
>>
>>89321959
doesnt work on boiled. gotta steam the shits.
one thing that's hilarious is how people look down on the microwave like it's this inferior lazy man's device, when it's fantastic at steaming. it literally only affects polar molecules like water, so all you have to do is get something wet or maybe wrap it in wet paper towels and you're ready in seconds. It's particularly good for reheating frozen seafood without overcooking it
>>
>>89321467
Are your tastes really judged by what your body needs?
>>
>>89326002
in a functional body that hasn't had its tastes or its needs severely altered, yes. There's still some environmental factors of course, what you're used to, but there are some really clear parallels. Most of the time the causative relationship is assumed to be the other way around.
>>
File: IMG_1658.png (171KB, 840x210px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1658.png
171KB, 840x210px
>>89326279
That's... actually a really neat fact. Thanks for enlightening me, anon.
>>
>>89320449
Personally I like to use them in stir-fry
>>
>>89326372
well dont expect anyone to believe you. even though it's completely obvious, it's not going to be written anywhere or considered fact by anyone
nevermind the clear parallels if you understand a bit of chemistry. of course smaller people, with their greater susceptibility to cold, are going to prefer fish and veg and shit. Their blood would seize up if they ate as much cholesterol as us hot-blooded large people.
Some of it's almost turned around completely though, like if you stop eating beef you lose the enzymes to break it down, and if you eat beans regularly you'll even out your gut flora enough to stop having quite so much gas, but if you go without for ages then have a bunch, you're fucked.
>>
>>89320554
That dosen't look horrifying.

But I get what angle you were going for.

>>89320597
They are more related to Brocoli...but yeah, they are tiny Cabbages

Delicious, but require being cooked the right way, else they give off mustard Gas

It's like duck, people either undercook or over cook duck because they fon't know how to handle the fat.
>>
Anybody who takes their food cues from cartoons is an idiot. Or a child.
Likely both.

Seriously look at all the shit food work in cartoons and you see a lot of patterns - haggis is a big steaming pile of garbage, anchovies stink and make people puke, pepperoni is best pizza topping and everyone has it always, the list goes on. It's just people regurgitating the same shit as their predecessors.
>>
>>89326758
I'm told the different cabbage and broccoli varieties are so genetically identical that it's baffling to anyone trying to classify them. I bet there's a lot of epigenetics going on
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.