[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has DC Rebirth been underwhelming?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 4

File: DC_Rebirth.png (4MB, 1500x1161px) Image search: [Google]
DC_Rebirth.png
4MB, 1500x1161px
Has anyone else been underwhelmed by this, especially compared to their Young Animal line? For something that was so hyped, most of Rebirth runs are straight out mediocre to only decent. N52 and DCYou were inconsistent, but they still gave us some great runs.
>>
>>89276422

No?
>>
>>89276422
I agree.

Wonder Woman has been far less interesting Rucka's second time around and that was the hypest title coming in. I was expecting a lot out of The Flash thanks to Willimason's other work and man what a letdown that's been. Titans hasn't REALLY gone anywhere with the Rebirth plot even though it seems like the most natural place -- it's just another boring rehash.

At least Superman has been good.
>>
>>89276422
No. It's been objectively great. You just have shit taste, try Marvel Now 2.0
>>
Yeah it's been pretty disappointing to me, nothing I would call straight up great from the line.

Luckily I've been enjoying some other DC books that are not part of Rebirth so it's fine. Their imprints are pretty interesting right now and I'm hoping Wildstorm will be good too, though I have a feeling Ellis will bail again after 6 issues.
>>
Rebirth has been nothing but great
I have had no complaints about any Rebirth book I've read
>>
Its just like any other line of comics, some good books like Superman or Tec , and some bad ones like JL and SS.

/co/ has essentially blown out of the water because nostalgiafagging and the current state of Marvel , and overall it is not the "Make Comics Great Again" people think it is.
>>
>>89276422
Deathstroke is the only Rebirth book I'd call great. There have been some other decent books, but nothing special.
>>
>>89276422
Yeah. The industry in general is just n a slump right now. It's sad seeing Young Animal flop because all those series are good, even Cave Carson.
>>
File: black_bat_by_psuede-dadtzb8.jpg (223KB, 800x1175px) Image search: [Google]
black_bat_by_psuede-dadtzb8.jpg
223KB, 800x1175px
>>89276422

Personally, only thing I wanted from Rebirth was for them to restore Cassandra Cain and they didn't give me even that much. I asked for so fucking little and didn't get even that. So as far as I'm concerned, the whole thing is a failure.
>>
>>89276854
Is it really flopping that badly? I mean it was never expected to perform at the level of mainline Rebirth titles, was it?
>>
>>89276422

Best thing to happen to comics in a long long time
>>
>>89276422
I feel the same way unfortunately and while a lot of people are up DC's ass, I've seen this opinion around enough on /co/ and other places so we're not alone at least. It's the most consistent quality-wise DC has been but I'd much rather have godawful runs mixed with truly great runs than mediocre comics all-around. Hopefully it'll get better as we get further in and away from the initial mission statement of "back to the basics." It feels like some writers are being held back by that.
>>
>>89276924
3/4 of them are barely above 10k and haven't stabilized. Next month the sales chart will show 3 of them under 10k and no matter what publisher you're working with, below 10k is bad.
Speaking of flopping, Midnighter and Apollo is basically a second chance to support a series that had a cult following and in the eyes of many "died too soon". The numbers for it are tragic though, in December it sold 7k iirc.
>>
File: New 52 Rebirth.jpg (1MB, 1548x3264px) Image search: [Google]
New 52 Rebirth.jpg
1MB, 1548x3264px
>>89276422
Yes, it has. Quality wise, Rebirth isn't offering much in terms of really good stuff. And I don't think it's doing so well in sales either, 9-12 issues in and most of the titles till haven't stabilized and are dropping numbers between issues. Also, the double shipping is killing their smaller name titles and minis. These first 6-12 months of Rebirth are not looking good.
>>
>>89276963
What numbers are the YA and HB titles expected to sell at though? Stuff like their Looney Tunes and Scooby stuff sells super low but is ok because it's not expected to sell high numbers. Wouldn't they have a similar mindset for the YA and HB stuff?
>>
>>89277157
Why would they? they're not all ages(a very niche market) and they have actual comic book writers and artist working on them while someone like Sholly Fisch isn't a full time comic book writer and is doing it more as a part time gig. Besides, for something like YA there are also the back up creators that need to be paid. And besides, they're DC and under 10k is bad no matter the company, be it DC, Marvel, Image, hell, even for Dark Horse those are bad numbers.
>>
>>89276575
>/co/ has essentially blown out of the water because nostalgiafagging and the current state of Marvel
This. It`s not as fucked as new52 was. But most titles are mediocre.
>>
>>89277210
New 52 was much better.
>>
>>89276422
I think /co/ just overhyped it because it was nostalgia pandering. The books I read pre-Rebirth and now haven't really changed quality, other than double shipping doing a number on the art. I do miss the niche/edge books nu52 had though.
>>
>>89277256
Yeah, it gave us so many great books like WW by Azz/Chiang, Animal Man by Foreman/Lemire and... Eh... But two great titles out of 52 is really good.
>>
>>89277291
See >>89277070
The only reason anyone would prefer Rebirth is if they'd have that dumb mentality that "I hate to read EVERYTHING" which is stupid. Yeah, okay, Blackhawks sucks, but you don't have to read it, with rebirth if you don't like something then the rest of the line is just more of the same.
>>
>>89276422
GL finally got gud, so I'm happy. That's the only capeshit I read.
>>
>>89277209
That is completely false. Most Dark Horse comics barely debut at 10K, let alone be above 10K for some long run. There are a shit load of Image comics below 10K.
Jim Lee had said that the imprint will remain intact as long as Gerard Way is running it.
>>
The best series by far is New Super-Man
all of the mini series have been killing it, including the cancelled Vigilante imo
Red Hood has been awesome
all of YA and the Hanna Barbara properties are great
Deathstroke is cool
the rest are really boring and/or suck
>>
>>89276575
am I the only person enjoying JL? its more fun than has been for five years
>>
>>89277070
Amethyst and Supergirl were good/decent in New 52
>>
>>89277070
>No Action Comics for Rebirth

Why?
>>
>>89276422
The books people usually read are good.

The Titans ended up a surprising success.

Among the main books, the disappointing ones are Justice League, Wonder Woman, and like half of the Flash.
>>
>>89277464
bs
Titans hasn't done anything at all plus has shit art
Teen Titans is kinda fun I guess but shit art
Both GLs are shitty, Flash sucks, WW boring as bricks, Cyborg dumb, DC and Batman are bad, Action Comics sucks
the only good one is Superman
>>
>>89277442
Amethyst isn't a debut book. It's comparing the first 6-12 issues of each launch.

>>89277447
Because Jurgens is a fucking hack.
>>
>>89277495
Superman sucks
>>
I don't even like Superman. Character moments are okay, but the plots feel dull and empty.
>>
>>89277509
ok ok then I'd put Supergirl 52 and her Rebirth to good and New Super-Man to great

you should make a trash section for Batgirl and Superwoman
>>
Wonder Woman, Batman, and Justice League are disappointing compared to their early New 52 books though i stopped reading comics around the middle.

Superman is much better and there are other good books sprinkled throughout. Miniseries have been great, JLA has good potential, and non mainline books have been doing pretty well too. Flintstones is probably the best current DC book being published.
>>
>>89277521
>>89277495
Rebirth sucks besides New Super-Man
YA is overhyped besides Shade the Changing Girl
and the best HB maxiseries is Future Quest
>>
>>89277540
New Super-Nan is a good little title, but it's nothing amazing. Orlando's Supergirl sucks.
>>
>>89277580
New Super-Man is just the most refreshing and creative iteration of DC heroes we've had in forever. I think Orlando's SG is at least Detective Comcs level, Tyrion is trash tier
>>
>>89277464
Titans is down to like 45k by issue 7, man. And its Rebirth special and #1 had enormous returns on the sales they did make. That shit plummeted as soon as there was no substantial followup to Manhattan and everyone realized it was going to be a shitty Wally West retread. One that didn't even actually commit to the retread.
>>
>>89277600
There's seriously nothing fresh about Chinese knock off of the JL. The execution is good and art is decent. Supergirl is trash, synergy shit and Orlando's clunky dialogue really doesn't work here, art is garbage too. tec has good art and a decent direction, I don't personally like it, but it'okay...
>>
No I'm loving it

My pull (which I'm really enjoying all of):

All Star Batman
Aquaman
Batman
Batman Beyond
Blue Beetle
Cave Carson
Death of Hawkman
Deathstroke
Detective Comics
Doom Patrol
Hellblazer
Justice League vs Suicide Squad
Mother Panic
New Super-Man
Nightwing
Red Hood and the Outlaws
Shade the Changing Girl
Suicide Squad
Superman
Teen Titans
Titans
Trinity

Upcoming titles I'm hyped for:
Batwoman
Justice League of America
Super Sons

Compare to my marvel pull:
Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows
Moon Knight
Nova

And my indie:
A.D. After Death
Animosity
Reborn
>>
>>89277919
And I forgot Midnighter and Apollo!
>>
>>89276422
No?

How much is Disney paying you?
>>
>>89276422

WTF rebirth has been great so far
>>
>>89276422
t. Marvelcuck
>>
>>89277919
Why are you pulling the worst Indies possible? Who the fuck pulls Snyder, Memere, Bennet and Millar.
>>
>>89276422
>It's this thread again.
>>
I blame Johns. His rebirth plot has derailed individualism of other writers. He has far too much control. When I read Aquaman, I want to see Abnett's take at what he's good at, not Johns version. When I read Titans, I want to read good stories about Titans, not Abnett having to write Johns' plot.
>>
>>89277070
This is fucking shit. Aquaman is at least very good.
>>
>>89277070
What is the second column first one and third column second one from new 52 decent-good? Is the last one from new 52 great dial h?
>>
>y-yeah Marvel fucking sucks right now and they are going to crash the industry with no survivors while DC is doing pretty well, but in my opinion some of their comics AREN'T GOOD haha

wew lad
>>
>>89279831
>Abnett is pumping out average dreck
>Better blame Johns
>>
>No Booster in Rebirth even though both Ted AND Max are in Rebirth, Max being a prominent event villain
>No Shazam
>No Martian Manhunter
WHERE
THE FUCK
ARE THEY
>>
>>89276422
Yeah, at this point the only DC Rebirth books I'm still following are Superman and Deathstroke. On the other hand, I'm still following every YA book except Mother Panic. It's not that the Rebirth books are bad, they're just, as you said, extremely mediocre to decent at best.
>>
The New 52 was better than Rebirth, and that's saying something because it was a dumpster fire.
>>
>>89276422
It's relatively safe, but it does have some standouts (New Super-Man, Deathstroke), and most of the good DC writers (King, Rucka, Seeley, Abnett, Orlando, etc) are still putting up good books, even if they're not their best.
>>
>>89279865
Aquaman is the most boring mediocre shit... so the usual Abnett output. But with awful art.
>>
>>89281219
And yet it's better than literally every single Marlel comic, so enjoy your shit comics while I enjoy these based as fuck """""""mediocre"""""" comics.
>>
>>89281239
Moon Knight is better, but other than that sure. I don't see your point though
>Oh look at those people eating constipated shit with diarrhea and horse manure sprinkled on top hahaha. I am laughing at them while enjoying my warm, fresh human turd sandwich.
>>
>>89281130
The difference is that New 52 may have had a lot of shit, but it also had some really great standout books. Rebirth has very little of that. It took chances, with a lot of misses but some hits. Likewise, DCYou took a lot of chances and while they didn't all pay off, the ones that did were great. Most of the more interesting books DC is putting out now are relegated to other imprints which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it has left me disappointed, or at least underwhelmed, with the Rebirth line.
>>
>>89279909
OMAC, Wonder Woman

Dial H was not a launch title. If you add it, Phantom Stranger and Grayson then it's hilariously one sided. It's The Shade mini.
>>
It's been great, but I still wish they followed up on the Rebirth issue.
>>
>>89281324
The worst part is that all those titles from imprints are selling like shit which means cancelations and general discouragement for DC to keep trying them.
>>
>>89277442

Amethyst sucked and ruined the character's potential.
>>
>>89281369
those titles would have sold poorly anyway, but with young animal, DC's more willing to give them time to take off in the trade market. books that are "indie style" or are disconnected from the main continuity tend to do better in trade
>>
>>89281369
Yeah, but that's par for the course. Good books rarely sell well.
>>
>>89277291
>Aquaman
>Lemire's Green Arrow
>Swamp Thing
>Batwoman
>Supergirl
>Demon Knights
>Flash
>Action Comics
>Dial H
>Grayson
>OMAC
>I, Vampire
>Genevieve's Catwoman
>Omega Men

>inb4 "some of those are DCYou"
DCYou was still New 52
>>
>>89281616
Not necessarily, in the last their lower selling titles sold decent enough to last, just look at how many issues Animal or Swamp Thing or Phantom Stranger lasted for. Even Dial H had 15 issues. Meanwhile all the minis and imprint stuff can't even stat 10k, people were freaking out about the possibility of Flintstones being canceled at 6. Hell, they shitcaned Vigilante, a 6 issue mini at the halfway point. It's been said before, but the double shipping is killing the small titles, it's a problem Marvel had in the past too.
>>
File: 1463452315944.gif (546KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1463452315944.gif
546KB, 255x255px
>>89277070
>Snyderbats "genuinely great"
>Aquaman and Wonder Woman just "decent to good"
>>
Polling for your rebirth tastes

www.strawpoll.me/1212361
>>
>>89281909
Missed part of the URL

strawpoll.me/12123616
>>
>>89277291
How is this "The only good New 52 books are Animal Man and Wonder Woman!" meme still alive after fucking years?
>>
>>89281797
It's the exact opposite. Doubke shipping their high selling books allow them to put out stuff like young animal and wildstorm, which they know will provide them with less profit.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.