[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DC Multiverses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 8

File: Multiversity_Map.jpg (887KB, 2400x1880px) Image search: [Google]
Multiversity_Map.jpg
887KB, 2400x1880px
I've been interested in the DC multiverses for a bit and have been thinking about how it was revealed that there are multiple multiverses. In the comic 52 they used the term megaverse, so I will use the word megaverse for the collection of multiverses.

I've been looking through to see just how many multiverses are known in the DC megaverse and thought I would share all the ones I could come up with. Starting off with

>Local 52
Seen in Multiversity and the main DC books. Contains 52 universes. Pic related is a map for it. It's where most DC mainline books take place.
>>
File: 52 megaverse.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
52 megaverse.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>Multiverse 2
A multiverse now dead and destroyed by the Empty Hand. Seen briefly in Multiversity. Not much is known about what it was like before it was destroyed.
Some theories about it being representative of Marvel destroying their multiverse in Secret Wars.

Pic related, by the way, is the page from 52 where Rip Hunters calls it a megaverse that I mentioned before.
>>
File: converge-1-d701e.0.0.jpg (307KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
converge-1-d701e.0.0.jpg
307KB, 1600x900px
>Pre Crisis Multiverse
DC used to have a multiverse containing an infinite number of universes. However it was destroyed in Crisis on Infinite Earths. That was not the end though.
Seen in Convergence, heroes traveled back in time and prevented the destruction of the multiverse by the Anti-Monitor. This would then send all those universes in the multiverse on a divergent path spinning off into a multiverse parallel to the Local 52. Think of it like when you travel back in time to create a divergent timeline. Here it made a divergent multiverse.

This multiverse is infinite in the number of universes and all the old universes seen pre crisis continue in their stories and characters continue their lives here as stated at the end of Convergence.
>>
File: 1478173183532.png (121KB, 1186x835px) Image search: [Google]
1478173183532.png
121KB, 1186x835px
>Vertigo Multiverse
Note that plenty of titles and works released by Vertigo fit just fine into the mainline DC books in the Local 52. This multiverse is for the others.

Seen in stand alone works like Sherrif of Babylon as well as works that have crossed with DC like Preacher and Hellblazer. Back when DC had their main multiverse as only one single universe large, Vertigo was releasing works not set in it.
The universes being in another multiverse from the Local 52 flows with the meta narrative of the works in Vertigo being a different imprint. These universes differ from Local 52 in various ways from a Constantine that ages to God being killed or leaving.
Of note is that because some cross overs occurred we can see how The Endless (and possibly Lucifer and the Presence too) may be cross multiverse entities able to exist as the same being in more than one multiverse. Such as Dream in the Vertigo universe is the same Dream in the Local 52, or Death making the Saint of Killers an aspect and transporting him to the Hitman setting. Expanding this further, if Dream is a cross multiverse being so would be his realm, which explains how the Gentry used dreams to cross over to the Local 52 from a different multiverse, Multiverse 2.
You could also interpret the ending of Hellblazer not as John dying but him pulling one last con escaping a dying multiverse the Presence left, and the new young John that now will never age or die is him. Or perhaps into our world having escaped comic book crap.

Pic related is a cap someone made about Death the Endless and aspects of death from an old hypercrisis thread.
>>
>Hanna Barbera Multiverse
Seen in Future Quest, Flintstones and Scooby Doo.
Continuing on the meta narrative idea of a collection of comics in a separate imprint being a collection of universes in a separate multiverse, the Hanna Barbera comics would be set in another multiverse.
The Hanna Barbera books don't fit within any universe in the Local 52 and are in separate universes from each other. For example Scooby Doo Apocalypse is a comic book in Future Quest. In Multiversity, the idea was shown that universes appear in other universes as comics throughout the multiverse. This would mean Scooby Doo exists as a parallel universe to Future Quest within a multiverse.
>>
File: KFC02.jpg (510KB, 586x900px) Image search: [Google]
KFC02.jpg
510KB, 586x900px
Coming to the 6th multiverse in the DC megaverse we have.

>KFC Multiverse
As seen in the KFC comics.
This is a multiverse in which all universes are bonded together and share a common element. That being fried chicken and Colonel Sanders.
>>
Finally the seventh and last multiverse I am aware of.

>CW Multiverse
The shows Flash, Arrow and Supergirl do have tie in comics and so I include them here.
This multiverse is stated to be infinite. It covers the universes seen in the live action shows on the CW.
Whether or not all live action works fit into this multiverse, I can't say one way or the other. There isn't anything really to say that they aren't or are.

Anyways, those are all the multiverses in the DC megaverse I could think of. If there are any I missed or you think I forgot, please post and we can see just how many multiverses we can find.
>>
>>89249938
The Local 52 is the same multiverse as pre-Crisis as explained in Convergence when they undid CoIE, the local 52 is just the closest 52 universes to the main earth, the rest of the multiverse is still there, just farther away.

Also the Vertigo multiverse is the same too, because we see in the tavern arc that they are effected by Zero Hour, which happened under the DC imprint.
>>
>>89250473
the Sandman tavern arc I mean
>>
>>89250473
I said not all Vertigo works are in the Vertigo Multiverse. Are you saying because of that one arc every work ever released by Vertigo is in the main DC universe?
>>
>>89250517
im saying all the ones that clearly take place in the normal DC universe are, like Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Sandman, Lucifer etc.

But for things like Sheriff of Babylon it doest even really matter.
>>
File: BDAY246.jpg (351KB, 663x1019px) Image search: [Google]
BDAY246.jpg
351KB, 663x1019px
>>89250920
And Preacher? What about John being old in Hellblazer but young in other DC works released at the same time? Hellblazer Constantine, 2011, and Brightest Day Constantine, 2011. are clearly two different people.

Also it's been a while since I read the tavern story in Sandman. Do you recall where the tavern is located? If the Dreaming that goes back to what I said about the Dreaming connecting all the various multiverses and the people in the tavern are people from across many multiverses traveling through the Dreaming as the events of one multiverse, Zero Hour, push them to stay in the tavern.
>>
File: 1479068967100.jpg (2MB, 2061x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1479068967100.jpg
2MB, 2061x5000px
>>89249959
>>89249938
>>89249982
>>89250038
>>
>>89251011
You really like that image and that thread. It was a pretty great thread though. Let's try for many more.
>>
>>89250979
I just looked it up. It does take place outside the singular universe DC had at the time in a place like the Dreaming.
So yeah it would be easy to say the tavern existed as a place like the Dreaming where travelers across many multiverses can gather from a reality storm occurring from one connected multiverse.
>>
>>89250100

In the past, they used to fit things like the Donnerverse, the DCAU, and so forth, into their own universes. As far as something like Multiversity is concerned, and as far as how the comics interact with one another, the only thing that really was brought forward was Justice Lords from the DCAU, and the Batman Beyond universe (which they made into Earth 50 and Earth 12 - but which frankly really haven't been incorporated into the mainline DC universe - the closest to it was turning Tim into Terry for a bit and Futures End, which is essentially an elongated Elseworld now that no one really wants to think about or remember).

>>89250069
Likewise this is just product promotion, especially since KFC also did this with Marvel.
>>
>>89250069
....wait a sec, is Chicken Colonel from a world where chickens are the dominant species and they eat humans?
>>
>>89251780
I do find it interesting that out of all the adaptations out there DCAU is the only one to be brought into the fold of the mainline DC stuff and Multiversity as its own universe while everything else you basically have to say is another multiverse not part of the 52.
Why do you think DCAU got treated so special? Are Morrison and Timm known friends?
>>
>>89251791
He is from the Kamandi Universe. There's a storytime of Kamandi here >>89235269
>>
>>89251811
Or maybe it was a friendship with Paul Dini?
>>
>>89252154
Or maybe McDuffie. I am not sure how much Morrison is really involved in the cartoon side of things.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.