[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As the new street-level superhero on the block, would you rather

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 444
Thread images: 70

File: thething343.jpg (634KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
thething343.jpg
634KB, 1920x1080px
As the new street-level superhero on the block, would you rather deal with a infestation of xenomorphs in your city or the Thing running loose in your city?
>>
>>89235561
How the fuck are both of these street level?
Also which powers do i have?
>>
>>89235598
You are similar to that of Daredevil, Batman, Deathstroke. A normal human at peak levels. Those are your powers.
>>
>>89235561
With my powers, i call a carpet bombing run on my position and pray it suffices.
The Thing infects on contact and Xenomorphs blood is acid, also, there are thousands of them.
So, napalm. Tons of it.
>>
>>89236670
No anon, you get to choose between dealing with xenomorphs or the Thing. Unless you want to take on both?
>>
>>89235561
I feel like Xenos would be easier to deal with. There's a single nest with a guessable location (sewers, abandoned buildings), you can monitor the routes and areas they're likely to use, and until the nest hits critical mass, you can generally have control over the situation.

But Things? You're completely fucked from the word go- there's no easy way to root them out, they have no HQ where they gather, each one can reproduce into an army without difficulty. By the time you find a single Thing, there are almost certainly going to be more running amok and multiplying. Impossible for any single person to manage, on any level.
>>
>>89235561
>Xenomorphs
I would cordone off the effected area while I held them off with whatever survivors are left then call in nukes.

>Thing(s)
Same as before except I'd ask for a nuke in 6 hours and tell the survivors the nukes arrive in 12.
>>
>>89236670
Thing doesn't infect on contact. It requires biomass to infect and a single cell isn't enough if you watch the movie. Fun fact bacteria 'talk' to each other so the Thing probably just waits until it has enough cells to go into virulence.
>>
>>89235561
>Thing in a city
There's a thread with this exact premise on /tg/ that you might have also made.

If The Thing makes it to a city it's already too late.

>>>/tg/51255363
>>
>>89235561
I'd probably deal with The Thing.
Xenomorphs are like giant space bedbugs that can kill you.
>>
>>89235561
That depends... which one of them will fuck me but not kill me?
>>
File: pasta.jpg (153KB, 664x650px) Image search: [Google]
pasta.jpg
153KB, 664x650px
>>89235561
Do you understand that the moment the Thing makes contact with area that isn't freezing cold wasteland stuck in plantless permawinter, it's game over for humanity ?

People seriously underestimate how much life there are in cities. The moment you manage to nuke the area to oblivion (if you can manage to do that) the goddamn abomination has already spread over the continent disguised as billions beyond billions tiny insects, birds or regular joes who just suddenly decided to travel to another city.

Not to mention that the Thing has literally no reason to even reveal itself. Remember that it could perfectly impersonate people and even and is intelligent enough to manipulate humans through social interaction. Opposed to the "cunning predator" style intelligence The only reason they got clue of its existance was because they locked it in a cage with dogs, and it still managed to beat the whole camp despite of being discovered early.

So yeah, I will take a pack of acid-blooded, somewhat cunning space-tigers with parasitic lifecycle over that any day.
>>
>>89235561

See Aliens vs Predator 2 for an infestation of xenomorphs in a regular city.
>>
>>89237094

Just imagine if you set that thing loose in a city like New York. It's probably gonna spend the first underground amassing as many rats as it can to spread it's influence around the city.
>>
>>89237684
The second the thing gets the sea and infects a tiny fish its all fucking over.
It will spread to fish to shark to whale with no way to stop it and would quickly spread to ever land mass
no were would be safe and everything would be doomed
To date there has never been an alien more terrifying and powerful then The Thing.
>>
>>89235561
The Thing, it's easier to deal with Ben Grimm than aliens
>>
>>89237094
You realize that Antarctica a crap ton of krill under it right? If it just slipped under the ice into water it would have been fine as long as it didn't go into a vegetative state. Imagine a whale beaching itself and then everyone who pushes it getting either their arms merged or broken off?

Also it isn't instant or one cell infects everything. Half the guys had AIDS because the cook jerked off into almost everything. Why do you think MacReady and Childs were the last ones left? MacReady survived only on J&B and Childs seemed to sustain himself through a mix of photosynthesis because he was Black in the Antarctica and lust for MacReady. The symbolism was all there!
>>
>>89237802
The Thing is a Cosmic Threat. I feel like Dr. Strange would be the first fucking guy they'd call.
>>
>>89237802
This.
Hell, imagine if it infected like an ant or a butterfly or something?
>>
File: 1480354428219.png (125KB, 391x602px) Image search: [Google]
1480354428219.png
125KB, 391x602px
>>89237889
>2
The Fantastic Four is shit and I hate that when I want to look up The Thing film all I find is that crap series that is deader then Prince
>>
>>89237802
The sea is mostly inhospitable. It could in theory become a leviahthan, but it could just as easily get frozen again or get lost and sink into the abyss assuming it avoids ice.
>>
>>89237946

Oh god, an infected butterfly. It'd be like that scene off the simpsons where the butterfly burrows into homers arm.
>>
>>89237972
Yes if it was any other mammal it would freeze
but if it infects any sea life then well its won
it will have all the ability of a fish and would quickly spread through sea life till its assimilated everything.
>>
>>89238040
>A butterfly lands on a man in a park
>and another
>and another
>an entire swarm of them
>He's covered from head to toe, starts shaking and wailing
>None of this man is visible anymore, it's all butterflies
>He suddenly explodes outward as every butterfly merges into one
>He's left a squealing pile of gore, merged with dozens of insect parts
>>
File: giphy.gif (998KB, 320x189px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
998KB, 320x189px
>>89237946
>Your sitting at your desk typing
>Suddenly you feel something on your leg
>You look down and see a tiny ant on your leg
>You casually flick it off.
>You try to get back to shitposting but another ant is on your leg.
>Your about to flick it off when suddenly tiny tendrils sprout out of its mouth and back
>Before you can react it digs into your skin.
>It hurts like hell as it burrows deep under your skin.
>You freak out and try to squish it but its in too deep and going through your muscle.
>You fall to the floor in pain.
>You cant feel your leg and it feels like its going up into your body.
>You then feel crawling all over your face and body.
>more ants come up you and rush down your mouth and ears.
>It digs into your face chest and arms.
>One even digs into your eye.
>Before you black out all you feel are millions of tiny ant like creatures eating from the inside.
>The last thing you feel is them crawling over your brain and digging into your frontal lobe
>>
>>89238390
See, shit like this makes me feel like there's potential for more Thing movies set in places other than the Antarctic, but that and space are literally the only locations that make any sense for it not to immediately win.
>>
>>89235561
infestation of xenomorphs, because at least then I don't have to question everyone and everything I see.
>>
>>89238528
The desert.
>>
>>89235706
>>89235561

Xenomorphs at least I got a fighting chance.
>>
>>89238668
A lot of things that lives in the desert.

Bugs, reptiles and some small mammals.
>>
>>89235561

Which Thing? The John Carpenter one or the original Who Goes There novella one?

Because if it's the former, then the entire planet is already fucked. All JC Thing has to do is walk into a crowded room, drop trou, and fart really hard and everyone is infected because it only takes a single cell to fuck you. If it's the latter, then everything's cool because Who Goes There Thing was a more classical doppelganger where it actually had to kill you in secret, hide your body, and then change itself to replicate you because it was a weak, cowardly infiltrator.
>>
>>89237939
>STEPHEN HELP!
>Lol no, shits fucked
>>
>>89238853
>When you learn John W. Campbell wrote Who Goes There? because his mom's identical twin sister who hated his guts used to drop by his house constantly when he was growing up.

>When you realize it could've been his mother who hated him all along...
>>
>>89238735
Your moms vagina
>>
File: TheThing3.jpg (66KB, 640x391px) Image search: [Google]
TheThing3.jpg
66KB, 640x391px
>>89238528
There was going to be a sequel set in a tiny village in Mexico that would show how quickly The Thing would spread throughout the small town.
but it was sadly cancelled
Shame too it had great ideas for example.

The Thing would infect a chicken farm.
No knows this and a characters buys some eggs.
He's about to cook up breakfast but when he cracks open the egg the yolk screeches as it hits the hot frying pan.
It jumps up to get away and then forms tendrils to attack the guy trying to cook it.

Would of loved to see that shit on screen.
>>
>>89235561
The Thing. It took hours to take out a station of like,10 people? And that was a small enclosed space where people can't get away. It's just a matter of time before city wide quarantines an blood testings track it down and kill it.
>>
>>89235561

xenomorphs can be killed with bullets, and can't make more xenomorphs without large live animals to gestate in. The Thing is as far as anyone can tell more or less a biological grey goo event. As a street-level superhero, my plan for dealing with a Thing outbreak is to find the nearest active volcano and jump in.
>>
Calling either the avengers and/or justice league.
>>
File: 1457374580220.gif (2MB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
1457374580220.gif
2MB, 325x244px
>>89237914
>Half the guys had AIDS because the cook jerked off into almost everything. Why do you think MacReady and Childs were the last ones left? MacReady survived only on J&B and Childs seemed to sustain himself through a mix of photosynthesis because he was Black in the Antarctica and lust for MacReady.
>>
File: 1480895248778.png (293KB, 494x501px) Image search: [Google]
1480895248778.png
293KB, 494x501px
>>89239855
You think that matters against The Thing?
any organic beings will be consumed by it and will also gain all there ability's
Unlike most Marvel villains The thing dose not need to use strength it just needs to hide in plain sight spread through the population and pick off the heroes one by one
the MCU is fucked.
>>
>>89236828
Nigger is too late when the thing makes it to a planet
>>
File: 1440872082445.jpg (259KB, 1284x980px) Image search: [Google]
1440872082445.jpg
259KB, 1284x980px
>>89237914
Good setup
>>
>>89240102
It could conceivably land somewhere it wouldn't be able to survive, such as the arctic or maybe an extremely arid desert, but even in that case it's inevitable that it'd reach civilization, it's just a question of 100 years or potentially 10,000, at which point humanity might actually be able to fight back.
>>
>>89237914
>You realize that Antarctica a crap ton of krill under it right?
you do realize that Antarctica is a continent right and there isn't an ocean underneath it?
>>
>>89235561
The entire premise of The Thing is that once it reaches the rest of the biosphere, say the ocean or some birds, everything is proper fucked. If it starts in a city it's already over, humanity is as good as extinct.
>>
>>89235561

I'd pray to God at least the angels would be uninffected oh wait
>>
>A superhero/villian with the thing's powers would instantly become a meme
>>
>>89241122
It exists (kind of)

Too bad 2 completely fucked his character up to promote the cooler black guy version. Just like in comics!
>>
>>89241098

Most gracious sistah I concur Wem'rakul
>>
>>89241152
I thought he could only manipulate his biology and was incapable of infecting others
>>
>>89241185
>>89241098

We'mrakul
>>
File: Green_Gentek.png (1MB, 1920x870px) Image search: [Google]
Green_Gentek.png
1MB, 1920x870px
>>89241195
Not "Infect" so much as "fucking absorb like a sponge does water". That was this chick, he was a different strain of the virus.

In 2 isn't he the one who infected everyone else? I don't remember much of that one.
>>
The Thing. Xenomorphs will fuck you up, but as long as you've got some tin string and a trusty match that Thing will be deader than a Fantastic Four ongoing
>>
>>89238906
>DOCTOR STRANGE, WE NEED YOUR HEL-
>He starts vibrating and hissing as the Eye of Agamotto sprouts fangs
>>
>>89241261
I don't know dude, i only played the first one like a decade ago
Still a guy with the thing's powers and enough creativity would be more of a fusion between alex, majin bu and beastboy with the superpowers of other heroes/villians he comes across if you wanna make him even more overpowered
>>
>>89241284
Gonna go get blood samples from every fucking roach, rat, and pigeon in NYC then?
>>
>>89241219

Anti-ppl now uve gone 2 far Jeus Krist Superstar
>>
File: lius-lasahido-subjugator-angel.jpg (546KB, 1500x1131px) Image search: [Google]
lius-lasahido-subjugator-angel.jpg
546KB, 1500x1131px
>>89241373

shut up prepz
>>
>>89235561
Aliens, because bullets work on them.
>>
>>89241362
Fuck that, no. But I've seen The Thing like 5 times. I know it's weakness. Hell, just give everyone in NYC a haircut and we'll be able to find out who's infected depending on if their hair screams out in agony when its cut
>>
File: xoejwfje24.jpg (117KB, 1200x520px) Image search: [Google]
xoejwfje24.jpg
117KB, 1200x520px
>>89241406
>>89241406
>>89241373

shut up ok
>>
>>89241433
Good luck with that. By the time you get to haircut #50 the Thing would be out of NYC by then
>>
>>89241569
WELL THEN FUCK IT, NYC IS ON LOCKDOWN. THE ENTIRE CITY IS NOW COVERED BY A FIERY WALL
>>
>>89235561
If I don't know anything, Xenomorphs.
If I have some idea of what I'm fighting, The Thing.
>>
>>89241599
>Locking yourself in a cage with the shapeshifting lion
That's very generous of you anon, hopefully the thing isn't faster than the lockdown/doesn't manage to make it out before the place gets napalm'd
>>
>>89241599
how do you stop fishes in the harbour, pidgeons in the parks, rats in the sewers, etc. from getting out? Also if you can quarantine the city so that literally no organism gets out just scorch all of it don't even bother testing for the thing because it's going to spread faster in such a big populace than you can test/eradicate it.
>>
The Thing vs Aliens. Pic related.
>>
File: The_Thing(2002).png (740KB, 738x949px) Image search: [Google]
The_Thing(2002).png
740KB, 738x949px
>>89238944
Speaking of sequels, was the videogame canon? The idea of the government using The Thing's cells for biological warfare was pretty cool. But kind of horrifying too looking back and after reading this thread.
>>
File: speed runner.jpg (50KB, 788x616px) Image search: [Google]
speed runner.jpg
50KB, 788x616px
>>89241645
>>89241681
Alright: time for Plan B. Light myself on fire and run through the streets
>>
>>89241693
It would be like watching a bunch of panthers inside a burning building
>>
>>89241735
what is it with dumbass governments trying to militarize alien genetics?
>>
>>89241645
>>89241681

To be fair, The Thing is a bitch to fight anyway. It's one of few movies where the protags are outmatched because their opponent is so much better.

That said, if you had to do something, total annihilation then a quarantine would be your best bet. But as soon as that shit is broadcasted on the TV, game over.
>>
>>89241741
>>89241773
Don't feel bad anon
The thing was specifically created to be a virtually unstoppable doom device
Which is why >>89241122 would happen regardless of how good the writer is
>>
File: Xenomorph.jpg (59KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
Xenomorph.jpg
59KB, 600x337px
>>89241693
I feel like Xenomorphs are naturally impervious to The Thing. Their blood is acidic, not like The Thing's digestive acid, no it's Molecular Acid. Extremely powerful stuff. They're impossible to absorb.
>>
File: Fungus-Gnat.jpg (22KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Fungus-Gnat.jpg
22KB, 600x450px
>>89241773
Quarantine is pointless unless it's perfect, you need to be able to stop gnats from getting out. I really like how well the premise of the thing is thought out, that it literally could only occur in that virtually sterile enviroment and have a plausible ending where the humans "win".
>>
>>89241890
That's why it's a best bet. If the hero had to do SOMETHING, nuke and lock. But, yeah, The Thing would survive, especially if news got out that a nuke was happening.
>>
Since we are looking for ways to defeat the thing
How about using a robot?
I'm pretty sure the thing can't absorb a robot
The thing vs terminator
>>
>>89241741
Anon, your plan B is my Plan A. Fuck this shit, I'm out.
>>
>>89241693
>The tough exoskeleton and molecular acid of the Xenomorph makes them impervious to The Thing unless it pulls some long-con bullshit to progressively adapt until it's strong enough
>The Thing can't exactly be killed by blunt force, though acid may have a similar effect as fire
>The Thing infects a Facehugger, which hugs a Marine, birthing a Thingburster, which evolves into a whole new organism, a Thingymorph

This is an idea with the potential to be like a good version of Prometheus.
>>
File: 1482042749591.webm (670KB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
1482042749591.webm
670KB, 426x240px
>>89241765
No idea. I guess they see it as less work. Why waste millions of dollars to bomb your enemies when you could just use a modified biological weapon that spreads fast and kills your enemies one by one(slowly too) while you watch and smile in the distance. Then probably shit yourself after realizing the weapon you used on your enemies is coming for you next.
>>
>>89242081
>Thingymorph

And then the Predators had a collective boner.
>>
>>89242081
>Thingymorph
I didn't realise Joss Whedon was writing this
>>
Xenomorphs, no contest.

You can actually find those things (relatively) easily.
>>
>>89242150
>Ripley tries to fight the Alien Queen, but it beats the shit out of her and she has a good cry where her mascara smears all over her face because she's a strong female character
>The rest of her lines are smartass remarks about how the rest of the Colonial Marines are boys and she's a girl
>>
>>89236738
The only sure fire way to kill a thing infection. Is nukclear detonation with half an hour of confirmed infection followed carpet bombeing and burning every living thing within I'd say around 100 niles
>>
>>89242141
>Alien vs Predator vs The Thing, ft. Colonial Marines and Weyland Yutani
>WY sends Marines to spooky new planet
>Turns out the Predators own it, oops
>It's an old game reserve, so naturally it's swarming with Xenos
>Preds show up to defend their propertah
>Surprise, they're actually there because the whole planet was quarantined
>Turns out The Thing was the ultimate prey before the Xenos, but some old-ass Predators deemed it too dangerous
>Potential extinction of your race and everything else trumps a really sick hunting party, apparently
>Company is there for the Thing, because of course they are
>Marines are expendable
>Thing gets out, starts a-similatin'
>Marines and Predators have to team up against Xenos and Things and Xenothings
>But they also have to kill each other because who knows who's infected

This thing writes itself.
>>
>>89242379

And then a Terminator shows up.
>>
>>89242379
>This thing writes itself.
>This thing
heh
>>
>>89235561
Yeah fuck you, OP.

At least I have a chance with the Xenos. The Thing? I need AT LEAST a Green Lantern ring-class weapon to have a chance.
>>
>>89242468
This is some ultimate showdown tier shit
>>
>>89242567
Biollante appears midway
The secret is that this is Space Godzilla's origin story
>>
>>89242468
It's rock paper scissors really.

>Terminator kills Thing
>Xenomorph acid burns Terminator
>Thing kills Xenomorph
>>
File: ripleyicon.jpg (120KB, 693x913px) Image search: [Google]
ripleyicon.jpg
120KB, 693x913px
Oh Sigourney Weaver, my Lady and Savior, what have I started! Forgive my trespasses and nerd sins.
>>
>>89237802
>what are the Bydo
Read the fluff from the game manuals. Shit's insane.
>>
>>89238853
>If it's the latter, then everything's cool because Who Goes There Thing was a more classical doppelganger where it actually had to kill you in secret, hide your body, and then change itself to replicate you because it was a weak, cowardly infiltrator.
i'm pretty sure that the thing in "who goes there?" split itself to make a dog and the other part carried on being a threat after the dog was dealt with, so it's essentially the same as Carpenters.
>>
>>89242379
That would get really convoluted really quickly
>>
>>89242379
>TFW we'll never see Alien vs. Predator vs. The Thing arcade beat em uo.
>Lt. Linn Kurosawa
>Maj. Dutch Schaffer
>Pred. Hunter
>Sgt. MacReady, badass human Marine that's a descendant of R.J.
>>
>>89242723
>There's a slight chance to get a secret ending were one of them was a thing all along
>>
>>89242758
>Whichever character you didn't choose was the Thing all along
>If 4 people are playing, one of the players is randomly chosen to become a Thing and betray his friends
>>
>>89242689
That's kinda the point of AvP media though
>>
>>89237802
Exactly. The whole point of the movie was that the Thing must not escape Antarctica or else it's the end of life as we know it.

It's the first entry in Carpenter's "Apocalypse Trilogy" for a reason.
>>
>>89242643
>Hey let's make a super weapon
>What do mean it's gone nuts and lovecraftian?

Were the humans in R-Type drunk?
>>
File: 1405653505503.png (156KB, 247x248px) Image search: [Google]
1405653505503.png
156KB, 247x248px
>>89242781
>It turns into a bossfight
>>
>>89242723

It's sad that that game way more entertaining than the actual movies that came out years later.

Wish it was Ripley teaming up with Dutch and the two Predators, but Capcom probably wanted someone who wasn't frumpy-looking so made a futuristic Chun-Li recolor.
>>
>>89237571
funny, i just saw it yesterday
you just need a predator champion geared to the theets (fangs ?)
>>
>>89235561
The Xenia would be bad, but it would be detectable. The Thing is worse because by the time it's absorbed and amassed enough to make itself visible, not only have countless people died, but now you can stop it or know how much it has spread. At least with the Xenomorphs you can have some hope of containing them as long as you keep the face huggers in one spot.
>>
>>89242861
>It happens in the middle of the credits, when everyone thinks the game is over
>>
>>89237939
The thing is probably the most powerful biological cosmic threat anything that lives is fucked next to prince of darkness omnipotent space Satan it's the most powerful alien threat out thee
>>
Could Godzilla beat the Thing?
>>
>>89242946
>It fades to black before the end of the fight
Somebody fuckng fund it
>>
>>89243044
No Godzilla would step on it and The thing would eat through its foot and slowly eat its way up to his brain before taken him completely over.
no matter how big or small The thing just needs one cell to assimilate you
>>
>>89243044
Big G is a thing. A force of nature.
>>
>>89243205
Someone hasn't seen Shin Godzilla.
>>
>>89243044

I think I read a fanfic about that once.

Godzilla's immune system/G-cells were too strong and fast for The Thing to consume him.
>>
File: the_thing_by_crazieburd.jpg (748KB, 685x1000px) Image search: [Google]
the_thing_by_crazieburd.jpg
748KB, 685x1000px
Legit The Thing might be the most overpowered being in all of fiction.
Sure a few humans (might of) killed it.
But they had the advantage of knowing it was there and being in an environment with no real life or heat.
But if the thing got out into the world almost no character in fiction would be able to stop it before it has taken over the whole planet.
>>
What is better, 2011 or 1982 movie?
>>
>>89242882
I wonder what would have Ripley's moves have been.
>>
>>89240979
You do realize that it has a lot of ice shelves, right? They probably are closer to the ice shelves if we go by Who Goes There.
>>
>>89243333
Considering mos of the universe Is dead wasteland in Sure they're a few place you can take it to die but f the thing got to the ocean or even a desert than everyone is fucked
>>
File: 1484679404428.gif (485KB, 435x396px) Image search: [Google]
1484679404428.gif
485KB, 435x396px
>>89243364
Is that even a fucking question? what do you think?
>>
>>89243333
What about Demonbane
>>
>>89235561
Xenomorphs.

If I am going to fail, death would be better than assimilation.
>>
Both are acceptable if I am standing by a stockpile of nukes.

Otherwise Xenomorphs.
>>
>>89243333
Single character or factions?

Because really any sufficiently advanced race could deal with it if you're going into sci-fi.

Here's a good example.

Or, on the opposite side of the spectrum, Tyranids, though that becomes a question of who eats who.
>>
>>89243475
I didnt watch neither...
>>
Without a doubt the Xenomorphs.

They started off strong but the AVP movies reduced them to canon fodder that can be killed with modern day guns

The Thing would be nearly impossible to kill and too hard to track down
>>
File: 1484496285702.gif (447KB, 245x175px) Image search: [Google]
1484496285702.gif
447KB, 245x175px
The Thing is the greatest move ever made.
Try to prove me wrong.
>>
>>89243653
Fuck man go watch the 1982 version now!
Its the best movie ever made man.
>>
File: 1481962928839.gif (2MB, 400x378px) Image search: [Google]
1481962928839.gif
2MB, 400x378px
>>89243364
The 1982 movie. The prequel isn't that bad, but its pretty depressing that they destroyed all those costumes, puppets, sculptures, and robots at the last minute to use CGI. Everything looked amazing, why throw it all away?
>>
>>89243748

Because Hollywood is stupid.
>>
>>89243205
>The thing just needs one cell to assimilate you
Millennium and Shin could certainly survive The Thing because of their insane regen abilities but Shin could probably be the only one to beat it because it's some kind of crazy, constantly evolving Godzilla.
>>
>>89243205
The one cell theory is a meme. It needs significant amounts of biomass. Like an ounce of blood is enough, but the thing is based off of AIDS. You get one cell with AIDS your not gonna be infected with HIV. The original cell is likely to destroyed before it can adapt, the thing needs some time because it takes at max 8 hours with the dog and Norris. Bennings was more aggressive and took like 10 minutes for incomplete takeover
>>
>>89243894
Then there's also the whole radiation thing when it comes to Godzilla.
>>
Fuck Id rather take the Xenomorphs. The Thing is fucking terrifying and the only saving grace we had in his movie was it awakening in the middle of the damn arctic. In a large populace we wouldnt have a chance. The Thing is smart, patient, and of one mind. Xenomorphs are at least direct. As a street level hero its still an uphill battle though. About the only thing you could do is blow up the nest and hope enough of them where incinerated
>>
>>89241219
>>
>>89243748
The CGI studio threw a bitch fit. /tv/ usually has the comparison pics. The story wasn't horrible, but it felt like too much of a slasher. I'd be fine with it learning and eventually abandon alien forms.
>>
>>89243919
The Thing would either mutate or just be shapeshifting tumors. In the end it would probably just bud off.
>>
Now heres a question. Is The Thing a hivemind, or is it merely multiple versions of itself?
>>
File: 1429282318539.jpg (11KB, 548x451px) Image search: [Google]
1429282318539.jpg
11KB, 548x451px
i really just dont want facehuggers to be real
>>
>>89244013
Eh, I think a giant walking nuclear reactor would be a bit too much for The Thing.
>>
>>89244071
Its multiple versions of the same being with the same personality and instincts like a clone its the same in everywhere but not connected by mind.
That's why The Thing lets itself die just to gain trust from others so itself doesn't get caught its desire for survival uproots its desire for unity.
>>
>>89244071
Probably the later
>>
Do I exist in the marvel or dcu? Because I marvel I'm picking Xenomorphs and teaming up with Spidy. If DC I'm picking the thing and calling the Flash to just go back in time and kill The Thimg when it lands
>>
>>89244076
Really the facehuggers are far more terrifying than the Xenomorphs themselves. They rape your face, and then when its over you have the horrifying knowledge of the impending life cycle that you are now a part of. You're just waiting to die in a horrifying way, and theres no surgery or method that can help you (at least from what we've seen)
>>
>>89244234

>and theres no surgery or method that can help you (at least from what we've seen)

None unless you count the Colonial Marines game as canon. Which doesn't give a working method but at least explains why it can't be done.
>>
>>89243364
They each have their strengths. I was expecting the prequel to be Tremors tier garbage, but it was actually pretty enjoyable.
>>
>>89244325
>Tremors tier garbage
Nigga, are you spitting shit?
>>
>>89244307
Is Promethius a retcon or an alternate universe? It showed a pretty painful way of getting rid of one
>>
>>89244373

Prequel, but as I understand it none of the creatures in it are even related to xenomorphs (because originally it was barely related to Alien at all).
>>
>>89244325
>Tremors
>Garbage
Pick one
>>
>>89244367
I mean as far as the sequels. Don't you dare think I'm talking shit about the original. I live in the desert just like that and that movie scared the fuck out of me.
>>
>>89244420

Hey, 2 is just as good.
>>
>>89244420
Man fuck you, Tremors 2 is still good. 3 is passable and really should have been the end. I give it a pass for the final phase of the life cycle
>>
>>89244457
>>89244459
Sorry, but I can't agree, it's clear that everyone in that movie thought the first one was going to do better and were now just in it to pay off their credit card debt.

We can still agree the first one was awesome. Hey. Perfect add on for the story. The quarantine planet is a massive desert so the Things wouldn't have much water to help with biomass conversions. The Predators are known to gravitate to warm climates, if not necessarily arid, but it still fits. And a prey species that you can't fight until it's already attacking makes for good sport, as well as living land mines.
>>
>>89244130
Yeah the things powerful but it's not invincible some chemical acid or a flame thrower would kill it instantly and it couldn't adapt fast enough to nuclear radiation before having its cells killed off
>>
>>89244165
>calling the Flash to just go back in time and kill The Thing when it lands

Congrats dumbass you just gave the Thing access to to the speed force and doomed us all
>>
>>89244071
It's probably the latter but there my guess is the cells are individually not very smart but with a built in need to survive and absorb life but once they start multiplying to form something they become linked I don't know how cells could posses any intelligence though
>>
>>89244898
If it's up against Shin Godzilla then it just outright couldn't touch it. And if it ever did it Godzilla would just torch everything in the area.
>>
>>89244960

>I don't know how cells could posses any intelligence though

Ever play Parasite Eve?
>>
>>89244234
They did have a surgery removal in the recent dark horse comic but they had prep time and robots running the labs but yeah if your stuck in a face hugger wal it's hell
>>
>>89235561
Xenomorphs. Kill the queen and you're good, you can even get help from the police or the army mopping up the rest of the aliens. The Thing in any populated area is the fucking apocalypse come, even its blood was an independent creature, it'd be literally impossible to contain it.
>>
>>89244325
And now I have the image of Thing infected Graboids,Shriekers,and Assblasters running around
>>
>>89244985
That game is retarded bullslhit and should never be used as an example of good sci-fi writing.

Fun game though.
>>
>>89245037

Can't really blame the game writers though. The whole thing is based on a book.
>>
>>89244408
Have you seen the new Alien trailer?

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0VW6sg50Pk

Supposedly it's an attempt to retroactively tie Prometheus to the Ripley stuff. Hopefully it's good, but it kinda makes Prometheus look shitty in hindsight; either do aliens or don't. No one wanted a halfassed canon knock-off/fanfic.
>>
>>89245122
Single best thing in that trailer is that final shot. Opening to it was pretty good. I hope the whole movie feels like those two scenes once the xeno is loose.
>>
Why aren't there more "The thing" comics? Seems like you could do some fun stuff with them in different settings/crossing them over with stuff
>>
>>89247216
Because you can't put them in different settings. If there is any setting with a lot of life in them it's automatic game over.
>>
>>89235561

xenomoprhs since I can just shoot them with a rifle, no need to go about doing blood tests on something smart enough to mimick a human
>>
>>89247216
Truth be told, the movie said just about all that needed to be said about it. Everything that spins off from it is either a rehash or else it descends into hack writing.
>>
File: 200px-Glove_of_Rassilon.jpg (11KB, 200x307px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Glove_of_Rassilon.jpg
11KB, 200x307px
>>89243333
Well, here's one that can.
>>
>>89241992
Good idea. That would be badass.
>>
>>89243044
Depends on the Godzilla.

Showa era is iffy. There's no lore to suggest it was anything more than a giant dinosaur with atomic breath.

Heisei era is a walking nuclear reactor and has insane regeneration - The Thing would go cancerous and die off. It would lack the mass and production speed to overtake Heisei Godzilla.

Millennium Godzilla varies movie by movie but one of them, GMK Godzilla, is a vengeful ghost.

Shin Godzilla would probably *merge* with The Thing and become something worse than either.
>>
>>89248554
T-1000.
>>
>>89243859
So could OG Godzilla, since he's a walking nuclear explosion. I doubt the Thing could handle that much radiation.
>>
>>89242270
I don't know a lot of about Whedon

Explain joke pls?

Also fucking Things, man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Z44BIDPPc
>>
>>89235561
Xenomorphs any day of the week. They mostly come out at night. Mostly.
>>
>>89243698
Depends on how you define best

Some people might prefer comedies

But it's up there with the horror goodies
>>
>>89235561
If the Thing was loose in my city, then humanity would likely already be fucked unless the government nuked it. And even then, they'd have to quarantine an even greater radius with more nukes on standby just to be safe.

Xenomorph reproduction rate is much much slower and they also can't disguise themselvesas us, so I'll take them.
Plus, if I was a peak human street level superhero, it'd almost be my dream to fight a xenomorph.
>>
>>89243698
Honestly, it's a tie for me between The Thing and Alien.
>>
>>89237966
>Hating the FF
Kill yourself
>>
File: Celestial insult.jpg (72KB, 1226x459px) Image search: [Google]
Celestial insult.jpg
72KB, 1226x459px
>>89243333
>Legit The Thing might be the most overpowered being in all of fiction.
>>
>>89241016
Are we extinct, or do we live forever in the Thing?
>>
>>89238735
>>89238668
Salt flats are devoid of life
>>
>>89240038
>MCU
fuck off moviefaggot
>>
>>89244071
It seemed to indicate that Things are capable of working together, but even a few drops of blood has an overwhelming instinct for self preservation that can cause it to (wittingly or not) betray other things. Like the blood drop, which tried to escape the hot wire, thus outing the disguised thing
>>
>>89249783
that's part of what good about the movie

Is the thing malevolent? Misguided? Does it even have enough intelligence to be either or is it simply so good at mimicry that everything it does it pure instinct?
>>
>>89249909
What's also interesting to note about that scene is the disguised Thing didn't attack until after the test was performed. That somewhat implies that it didn't know whether or not the blood sample Thing would betray it.
>>
>>89247455
I mean,
>The Desert
>Space
>A Government Lab
>An alien planet

Or shit, maybe throw everyone for a loop and just write a story where it WINS. It gets to a populated city and just assimilates everything, and we follow a group of survivors on Thing world.

Sure, it'd be kinda stupid, but that's sorta the point of spin-off comics; to do shit that's too dumb to sell in a movie, but still comes off as awesome in the right context.

We'd never get a cigar-smoking talking robot xenomorph or Ash Williams vs Herbert West in a movie, but put that shit in a comic and you can do literally whatever you want.
>>
>>89249310
>I don't know a lot of about Whedon
He's good at writing lighthearted TV shows and stuff that generally has that kinda tone, but gets phenominally hacky when he has to write anything that has to be serious for more than 5 minutes.

One of his tropes is subverting the "female badass who is basically a male action hero with sexy tits" trope by having her break down and have a good feminine cry, right before she goes right back to doing spin-kicks in leather spanx.

See Avengers AOE, where he turned Black Widow (who got some really nice characterization in Winter Soldier) into the team mom who soothes Hulk by singing him a lullaby and quips about how she's the only girl.
>>
File: COMAND ME LORD.jpg (52KB, 319x240px) Image search: [Google]
COMAND ME LORD.jpg
52KB, 319x240px
>>89249783
>Everyone the Thing assimilates is conscious, as though they were under the influence of some sort of anesthetic
>They're completely lucid while it overrides their cells and takes control of their body, even when it starts ripping open their tendons and turning their ribcages into make-shift mouths
>The Thing keeps them alive, not needing food, warmth, sleep, or water
>They are constantly conscious as the Thing pilots and mutilates them from within

Well, g'night /co/.
>>
File: The-Blob-1988-movie-7.jpg (18KB, 450x297px) Image search: [Google]
The-Blob-1988-movie-7.jpg
18KB, 450x297px
The Thing vs. The Blob
Who wins?
>>
>>89235561
>would you rather deal with a infestation of xenomorphs in your city or the Thing running loose in your city?

Xenomorphs any day. I'd take xenomorphs over the thing as a normal person, street level, skyfather, ect.

The Thing in a city pretty much has already won. It's too late at that point, what are you going to do when it's not just a dozen people, but also hundreds of cats, rats, dogs, birds, insects, plants, ect and spreading like wildfire taking people over.

Oh, and it's only a matter of time before it just puts some of itself in the food or water supply, and overnight tens of thousands of people are turned into imitations.
>>
>>89250165
I'm actually inclined to say The Blob. If it can just smother The Thing, it's basically contained.

That is, assuming the Blob doesn't have any cells that can be assimilated, cause then HO BOY...
>>
>>89236825
>It requires biomass to infect and a single cell isn't enough if you watch the movie.

Actually, a single cell could do the trick as far as Fuches was concerned when he told MacReady, which is why he advised that everyone should start eating out of cans, and should prepare their own meals. The Thing just has to get one drop of itself into your ravioli, and you're fucked. It's worse than 28 days later shit, because it'd be slow and over time and you'd just go to sleep as you and then wake up an imitation.
>>
>>89235561
If you want to talka bout a movie, why don't you go to your own board? >>>/tv/
>>
>>89250192
They're both pretty similar in how they operate and function. The Blob is just far less subtle about it.
>>
>>89250252
>expecting any actual discussion in that cesspool.
Besides, Alien is /co/.
>>
>>89235561
I'm assuming that xenomorphs would be the weaker species here, hence the need to raise their numbers to infestation levels. If such is the case, I'd take on the former.

>not getting a contract as an exterminator
>wipe out a couple of them every week, receive dosh
>>
>>89250267
Alien comics are /co/, but either way, asking about which comic characters could beat X character is always /co/ just like putting Franklin Richards on /a/ and making a thread "Which one of those nip fucks could take him?" is /a/
>>
>>89239047
That's because it's objective isn't just kill everything. It's to become the most dominant species it can find. It infects and replaces organisms slowly, becoming them. It only kills when that's the only way to stay dominant.
>>
>>89250284
So? We want to talk about The Thing and Alien. Jannies haven't deleted the thread yet so fuck off. You really think anything will come from saying "hurr durr take it to /tv/ guys."
>>
>>89239047
>It took hours to take out a station of like,10 people?
Because it was trying to avoid getting caught. It was taking its time and planning escapes or how to assimilate the others.
>And that was a small enclosed space where people can't get away.
Yeah, it's trying out out think people, not overpower them. It'd rather do the whole thing in secret so no one knows it even exists so there's no issues when it gets to the mainland.

>It's just a matter of time before city wide quarantines an blood testings track it down and kill it.

AHAHAHAHAHA,

Are they going to track down every little ant, bird, cat, rat, squirrel, dog, fly, maggot, worm, spider, mosquito, ect and give them the blood test? Every mite and tick, every flea? Every dust mite?

Because the Thing is going to infect all of that shit and spread way, way beyond the cities. And that's before it just decides to sabotage food and water supplies and infect entire counties at a time.
>>
If the thing can assimilate blood cells how come it couldn't assimilate bacteria and use those to assimilate everyone in the station? If it can go microscopic, then it's just too OP to take seriously.
>>
>>89241992
Isn't a Terminator's skin made out of organic materials? Could a Thing take over a Terminator's skin?
>>
>>89241599
>WELL THEN FUCK IT, NYC IS ON LOCKDOWN.

This apply for the rats and pidgeons too?

You going to have checkpoints for infected mosquitos?
>>
>>89250306
I'm agreeing with you cunt, the thread is about what /co/ characters could handle the thing/xenos, or how anon would as a cape character. That's explicitly /co/.
Now this being said, you're an absolute cunt if you practice that terrible of posting where you think every board is /b/ until the hotpockets step in. Fuck you and your mother.
>>
>>89250327
>Thing takes over a Terminator's skin
>Terminator keeps on trucking
>Thing realizes it can't do much
>separates itself from Terminator
>now you have a Terminator and a walking skinsack Thing
>>
>>89250350
I misunderstood your post, mostly because it honestly wasn't needed and a moot point. If you fly off the handle seemingly more easily than I do than you can go fuck yourself as well.
>>
File: herf.jpg (84KB, 582x720px) Image search: [Google]
herf.jpg
84KB, 582x720px
What if a Thing tried to absorb another Thing
>>
>>89250367
>a Thing stumbling around in Arnold Schwarzenegger's empty skin
I didn't need to imagine that tonight.
>>
>>89250390
It was needed, Alien is not /co/, the comics are. Just because Hiroshima lets one form of /tv/ cancer in here doesn't mean it's all allowed.
>>
File: 1483946791237.jpg (234KB, 807x568px) Image search: [Google]
1483946791237.jpg
234KB, 807x568px
>>89250435
>apparently agreeing with me
>then disagrees with me
>>
>>89250325

My guess is the cold was limiting it, like the flood

After all it's only weaknesses appear to be burning and being frozen

You can probably just chalk it up to plot necessity

Although who knows, maybe it had gotten in everyone, but just slowly enough that everyone else happened to get assimilated more directly before it had time to go the slow route
>>
>>89243364
Speaking of the prequel, the guys that made all of the practical effects ended up creating their own movie, Harbinger Down.

Did anyone here see it?

What'd you think?
>>
>>89243698
I... have an almost embarrassing fondness for Event Horizon.

But that's more out of love for what it could have been than what it was.
>>
>>89250430
>other character comes across it, facing away

>"H-hello?"

>Turns around, mouth is now 400% gaping and tendrils are squirming in the eye sockets

>Leaps forward

>stretches itself over the person

>struggling and thrashing around until they go still

>the skin-thing vomits up piles of blood and guts that slowly turn into more things and crawl away

>second skin-thing crawls out of the first's mouth

>alternatively, the gaping mouth of the flesh-thing has a second face inside, or a warped skull

>GEE THING, WHY DOES JOHN CARPENTER LET YOU HAVE TWO SKINS
>>
>>89244325
>Not liking Tremors.

Fuck you, binging those movies with my brother every couple of years is how we reconnect!
>>
>>89250477
I didn't realize that was their movie.
Definitely checking it out now.
>>89250492
That movie gets waaaay too much praise, imo. But it's still a fun watch.
>>
>>89250529
Whut I feel like EH is underrated, people don't really like it. Also it's absolutely perfect for what it is, it's a fun space horror with good effects and a cool premise.
>>
>>89249783
This very concept is explored in 'The Things,' by Peter Watts.

Enjoy!

>Text: http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/.
>Audio: http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/audio_01_10/.
>>
>>89250456
This thread isn't a /tv/ thread, it's about comic characters fighting the Thing, discussing the powers of the Thing is pretty important to that.
>>
>>89250327
Yeah, living tissue over metal endoskeleton.
>>
>>89250555
I dunno. In a "general audience" sense, yeah it is underrated. But in a "cult film" sense, people seem to act like it is way better than it is.
I end up giggling every time I see it because of Sam Neill's whole possessed schtick and that one black guy who gets lost in space.
Also, I was super disappointed with my first watch of it because I feel like they kept building up to all this hellscape stuff but all we really got was possessed Sam Neill (I realize that there was a lot of cut content involving this though).
>>
>>89238944
The Outpost 31 site has the script available
>>
>>89235561
xenomrphs are deadly killing machines
the thing is a blue-eyed teddy bear made of rock

the thing please
>>
First you have to make the Thing make sense.

Xenomorphs at least make sense on a conceptual level.
>>
>>89241765
Retarded screen writers who get all of their knowledge about the military from movies and video games think the military is composed entirely of backwards hicks constantly trying to kill all humans just because it can.
>>
>>89250701
Aside from >>89250325 it does make sense though
>>
>>89250768
Meh. It's probably more likely that it's just an easy way to add conflict. And in most cases, if the military was acting realistically and not trying to weaponize anything, then the plot would usually be over pretty quickly.
>>
>>89243564
I actually read an interesting short story from a professional Science Fiction author that told the story from The Thing's perspective. It was off the walls great. It thought of itself as many, yet one. It held contempt and pity for the humans trying to kill it, as they were deemed lesser beings. It viewed the act of assimilation as "communion." In the Thing's mind, it wasn't killing the humans, but (quoting the author) "...raping them into enlightenment."
>>
>>89250192
>That is, assuming the Blob doesn't have any cells that can be assimilated, cause then HO BOY...

The original blob would be a more interesting fight, but The Thing is intellegent and would probably know to freeze it, if not outright kill it with it's alien knowledge of sci-fi tech.

The 80s blob was some sort of military biological weapon, so the thing probably just infects it.
>>
>>89250325
>If the thing can assimilate blood cells how come it couldn't assimilate bacteria

Maybe there's a minimum, lots of bacteria are smaller than blood cells, or, maybe it did, everyone was already infected soon after it's revealed and just doing it starting off with only a few cells takes so long to take over completely that it still considers people a threat because not enough of their body has been compromised.

It's possible it's just too OP.
>>
Which is scarier: the Thing, or the Thing's mass in mosquito-Things?
>>
>>89241735
>The idea of the government using The Thing's cells for biological warfare was pretty cool.

Sounds like the stupidest fucking idea ever to be honest. Even for the military it's a new level of sheer absurd stupidity.
>>
>>89250861
Which assimilates the other first? Im counting on a loss for mosquitoes.
>>
>>89250792

A little of both probably.

It's a cheap way to add conflict, instead of having to think and work to add an actually compelling one, it's some meme gimmick, one that's already been done before and supports the writers own biases as well.
>>
>>89250877
No, not in a fight.

Which is SCARIER?
>>
>>89250861

The Thing's mass in mosquito things is pretty much a game ender right there.

Like, most intergalactic empires wouldn't be able to deal with that shit. You'd need shit like the Q or Time Lords at that point to effectively deal with it.
>>
What's the plan once it gets a hold of water bears and everything it infects afterwards, every mishmash of viscera the thing makes afterward has the survivability and durability of a Tardigrade?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade
>>
>>89250932
Watch 'Harbinger Down.'
>>
File: 1441783682696.jpg (109KB, 1100x914px) Image search: [Google]
1441783682696.jpg
109KB, 1100x914px
>>89250932
I love those microscopic motherfuckers.
>>
>>89250932
Well then the Earth belongs to the thing, unless we make Terminators before it absorbs all of us.
>>
I watched Harbinger Down because the description on Netflix reminded me of the basic premise of John Carpenter's The Thing. I highly recommend watching Harbinger Down. It's legitimately a good movie.
>>
>>89235706
>Deathstroke
>normal human

He's confirmed as a meta.
>>
>>89243333
Magic is really your only hope. If you had some sort of detection ability, you could likely kill it before it has assimilated anyone.

If it's infected a good amount of humans or non-flying creatures in a desert area, then a mass bio-exorcism (only kills the Thing or rips the Thing out of anyone who isn't fully assimilated) is your best bet. But your magic would have to be good to be specific enough for that.

Mass sleep spell, time stop, or simply a mass death spell are your options if you don't care for a happy ending.
>>
>>89241836
For the movie to exist, they'd have to be impervious, or at least resistant. Since there needs to be enough conflict without pure absorption, but a hybrid of the two would eventually have to show up.
>>
>>89250895
The Thing would be nothing to the Q, the time lords I dunno
>>
>>89237094
I don't know, I kind of got the impression that what made the Thing work was it kept the host's brain intact to maintain cover and assumed direct control when revealed.
>>
>>89250700
The Thing can literally take control of anything and anyone in the city and you wouldn't know the difference unless you do an extensive blood test. You could search and test for days and The Thing would still be out there. At least Xenos are easy to spot.
>>
>>89235561
Depends on my equipment and skill level.
>>
>>89235561
I'd go with The Thing, easier to take on one instead of an infestation.
>>
>>89252057
Wait nevermind, I thought you meant its clobberin time thing.
>>
File: IMG_6696.png (111KB, 417x234px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6696.png
111KB, 417x234px
>>89241765
HEY WHATVE YOU HEARD?!
>>
>>89243333
>can't even think of a JoJo character that could handle an infestation outside of Antarctica
Good lord it truly is the most op.
>>
File: IMG_6560.png (415KB, 612x408px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6560.png
415KB, 612x408px
>>89244325
>tremors
>garbage
WEW LAD
>>
>>89242616
God I can't imagine a Kaiju-Thing.
>>
>>89244307

Alien resurrection had them surgically removed, unless that isn't canon either.
>>
>>89249960

Palmer thing knew it was outed tho. Watch his face before the blood reacts.
>>
>>89252161

See:
>>89244420

Tremors was a classic, the sequels were bad.
>>
>>89235561
It is a terryfying thought that I can say "I'd prefer to fight a full blown hive of Xenomorphs with only a 9mm pistol in my hand" with absolute honesty.
>>
>>89238140

You misunderstand what the Thing is.

That one butterfly that landed on you? That's your death. It only has to merge into your arm and you lose by default. The only question from the movie is 'Would the Thing willingly tear itself apart if it didn't fear death?' because the only times it actively split was when it was being burned alive.

It's obviously intelligent enough to do it but I don't think it would willingly split into a million tiny flies or it would have done it. I think the self preservation/corruption/reproduction side of the creature was more a factor of it knew it was screwed if it got caught so it was hedging it's bets. Otherwise it could just shatter into a thousand tiny fragments every time it got spotted and be totally unbeatable. But it never did that.

I don't think The Thing would willingly tear itself into chunks to fight or infect others. It'd do the same shit it always did and would probably infect other mobile lifeforms like dogs and cats to further it's infections but it's self preservation seemed hardwired to the point that it wouldn't willingly tear off an arm to capture a new victim unless the original body was doomed.

>>89238853

The Who Goes There Thing was still multiple Things. It's just that they openly say it had a psychic network so they could communicate and plan with one another.

With John Carpenters version? It's unclear if the different Things operated independently or operated in conjunction with one another because there were multiple instances that the replaced crew members could have infected everyone at once with minor planning.

Hell. The Blairthing was infected from the moment they went outside to put him in MacCreedy's cabin because the escaped dog was infected and was the infector for Blair. Plus the Thing at the end was the only example of a Thing being 'larger' than a human and that was primarily due to Blair gathering at least 3 people as biomass and possibly the corpses.
>>
>>89237914

Childs wasn't the last one left. He was a Thing. He was taken at any point that he went outside to chase what he saw in the snow. John Carpenter openly said as much. Only MacCreedy survived.

Plus they openly said everyone would only prepare their own food and only use tinned goods from the moment they knew about The Thing. The chef didn't have a chance to do it and he was human till the end.
>>
Not even a contest. The thing instantly wins as soon as he gets into a populated area. You couldn't stop it without nuking the place to radioactive dust.

The aliens could be fought far more effectively, and aren't nearly as intelligent. You'd still probably lose, but whoever had to clean up your mess might stand a better chance.
>>
>>89250327

Now there's an interesting story. Skynet discovers whoever was the thing from the end of the movie still in Antarctica or the surprise at end the ps2 game, captures and studies it in captivity. Uses the knowledge to create things like the t-1000 and infiltration units like the t-800.

It's been learning about Skynet during this time and weaknesses in its defenses. Has one goal when it eventually gets out. The time machine built from the scavenged tech of its ship.

I want to see Skynet vs the thing, especially batshit crazy Skynet vs a thing with time to learn and hate an enemy.
>>
>>89249608

>peak human
>beating a Xenomorph

Nope. Xenomorphs are superhuman on nearly every level bar intelligence. The movies don't portray it well but remember that the original movie Alien could effortlessly lift a full grown man out of a room without a fight and shove him in a bunch of resin without him even getting close to doing anything.

>>89249909

>It seemed to indicate that Things are capable of working together

Never happened. Things MIGHT know who's a Thing but they don't actively protect one another or when the Thing was on the table they'd have bumrushed the group and mass infected them. Blair showed that if it wanted to absorb them then it only takes half a second of contact to merge its hand with their body which = game over.

Plus there was never any evidence it COULD infect you via food. Just that Fuches believed it might be a possibility and that was enough to warrant some sort of risk.

From what we saw the process tended to need a roughly equivalent amount of biomass or it'd have probably taken the dog handler when it was in his room. Of course that might be to retain a form since we don't know if breaking a form would allow it to return to the previous and we never got an example of it willingly splitting as a strategy other than outright survival.

New movie withstanding but I refuse to acknowledge that since it's fuck all to do with JC.
>>
File: latest.png (520KB, 527x622px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
520KB, 527x622px
Ben's a pretty cool guy, i'm sure if he was rampaging, I could convince him to stop. We'd go for beers.
>>
>>89251771
Time Lords operate on 'I win by plot bullshit'. He'd give every cell individuality and have them dissolve themselves from the inside.
>>
File: THE THING 3.jpg (606KB, 700x933px) Image search: [Google]
THE THING 3.jpg
606KB, 700x933px
>>89235561
Xenomorphs.

The Thing is fucking invincible once it gets to a city.
>>
>>89252031
I know jews are known to assimilate, but I dont think The Thing has that kinda ability.
>>
Who was the better protagonist, MacReady or Ripley?
>>
>>89236750
Youd be a bad hero
>>
>>89252820
Heh.

>>89254092
Both were good in their own way, but Mac had nerves of steel. Not to mention his one-liner before he blew up The Thing.
>>
>>89235561

It doesn't matter, I'm going to blow my brains out rather than have to fight either. Daredevil couldn't handle that shit, and Batman would need to break out the power armor. I'm just a guy who knows kung fu, fuck that noise.
>>
Well I'm hope you're happy /co/, thanks to you I had a bad dream that I was attacked by the Thing and woke up too early.
>>
I'm surprised this hasn't turned into a "childs was a thing at the end" disscusion
>>
>>89241307

AAAAAAIEEEEEEEE
>>
>>89235561
The thing is easy. Just get Human Torch on his ass.
>>
>>89241152
>no comic revamp ever

Heller can fuck right off
>>
>>89237914
There's no ocean beneath the ice in antartica, moron.
>>
>>89254128
But still a hero.

Also let's pretend YOU are that hero. Get a power and report how well you'd fare.
http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Random

>I ended up with Oil Vision.
>I'm fucked in every sense of the word.
http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Oil_Vision
>>
>>89254325
How would a fight between alex and the thing work?
>>
What if we set the Cancerverse on the Thing?
>>
>>89235561
The thing, all ya need is a flame thrower.
>>
>>89254629
hahahahaahaha
http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Total_Conversion
AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
LETS SEE HOW IT LIKES BEING CONSUMED
>>
File: 1479551286133.gif (2MB, 240x220px) Image search: [Google]
1479551286133.gif
2MB, 240x220px
>>89254281
In a one on one fight yeah he will win
But If the thing got out into the world it wont matter how powerful he is the rest of humanity will be infected before he can do anything to stop it.
The Thing dose not win through might, it wins b hiding in the shadows.
>>
File: justendit.jpg (40KB, 736x695px) Image search: [Google]
justendit.jpg
40KB, 736x695px
>>89254629
http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Atomic_Resistance
>>
This isn't even a contest. It's like choosing between a common cold and a grey goo scenario.

Xenomorphs are resilient and deadly, sure, but a well armed militairy force has a chance.

If the thing has reached a city there is literally no chance of defeating it. At all. Ever. The finger of god could come down and vanish it, and there would still be doubt on its status.
>>
>>89235561
>deal with the thing running lose on your city

Yes, easily. I kill myself.
>>
File: 1483392764779.jpg (252KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1483392764779.jpg
252KB, 1280x720px
>>89252180
The new Godzilla was like that. It was made up of thousands of corpses or something.
>>
>>89254648
Well Alex's powers are more viral in nature to The Things' so maybe it'd be a matter of who can out absorb the other or maybe even The Thing would want to be absorbed to increase the biomass out of instinct?
>>
I've always wondered what would happen if Alex Mercer and the Thing met.
>>
Reminder that the Thing destroyed a space fairing alien civilization millions of years more advance than humans
>>
>>89255136
Alex Mercer, The Thing, and Carnage all walk into a bar...
>>
>>89255458
One of them says we are having a meating
>>
>>89255458
The bartender says heY there fellas where ya been?

Oh, says Alex. Just coming back from Sunday bioMASS.
>>
>>89255533
Fuck that actually gave me a giggle
>>
>>89238939
source on that ?
>>
>>89250208
A common misconception about The Thing is that it's just a virus. Fuches just wasn't certain how it worked, so to be safe, he recommended they play it safe.

If The Thing was just a virus (and an unstoppable one, at that), you could simply drop a hair or a skin flake or something even smaller into someone's drink. Hell, people breath in one another's floating particulate matter all the time.

If it worked that way, it would never, ever need to transform, at all. Everyone on the planet would just go about their business and be infected without ever even realizing it.

The Thing is an organism. It operates on a cellular level, but it isn't a virus. It needs to transform and attack and rip through peoples' clothing for a reason.
>>
>>89252528
>said as much
Ah yes, the 4chan "it's clear" argument.
>>
>>89253369
Depends on the Time Lord. This one >>89248497 could reverse everything The Thing does up to and including total global infestation with a swipe of his gauntlet.
>>
>>89242379
>This thing writes itself.
AaAAAH! That poster's been infected!! Quick, burn it!!
>>
>>89253369
>>89251771

The Thing is essentially an alien with advanced nanotech, much like the alien ambulance that created the gasmask zombies in "The Hollow Child". Give us a hundred years or so and we might all be like the Thing.

Oh and I know it's been posted but everyone really needs to read "The Things"
http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

>I don't think The Thing would willingly tear itself into chunks to fight or infect others

It's a distributed intelligence, it needs to at least touch to synch it's knowledge and personality, breaking apart just leaves dumb bits of meat with basic self preservation

> I would have grown back eventually—reattained sentience, taken communion and regenerated an intellect vast as a world—but I would have been an orphan, amnesiac, with no sense of who I was.
>>
>>89254629
http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Obsolescence
Depending on what the extends of my abilities are, I'm either invincible, and able to stop anything, or I'm fucked from the start.
>>
OH MY GOD

I JUST HAD THE MOST AMAZING HEADCANON IDEA

McReady is infected and becomes the Thing. He escapes from the Antarctic and rejoins humanity, with the intention of assimilating and taking over the whole planet.

But living among humanity changes him and he delays his plans... and he comes to appreciate these creatures and their individuality, so it decides to simply escape back to space where it can find another biosphere without intelligent life to convert and become a... living planet.

But years later, it becomes nostalgic and creates an offshoot to return and visit, because while it lived among humans it took a wife and fathered a child, using the name...

Quill.
>>
>>89254995
give a xenomorph nest 24 hours in a population center and they'll burrow into the surrounding cities and states faster than soldiers can kill them, which is the reason why 90%+ of the earth was lost to xenomorph infestation in one of the comic runs

niggas spread too fast to contain as long as they have bodies to impregnate
>>
>>89258325
Why would you blow up yourself if youre infected
>>
>>89252031
You fucking dunce

This is a comics board
He is making a comics joke

Jeez, I wish I could clobber you right now
>>
>>89258457
>which is the reason why 90%+ of the earth was lost to xenomorph infestation in one of the comic runs
Pretty sure it was because the threat went mostly ignored by anyone who could actually do anything.
>>
>>89260282
and what do you expect a modern military force to do against an agile enemy in massive swarm size that grows larger as more times passes besides nuke them?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War
>>
>>89258325
You idiot, The Thing had absorbed Childs at the end of the film. McCready was still armed with a flamethrower. Kurt Russell stated that while shooting the last scene, he had a flamethrower underneath the blanket draped over himself.
>>
>>89260344
Simple, you completely evacuate, or you give up on the population of that city and get Trump to BUILD A WALL

The thing about the Alien threats are that they basically never start on their own. The Xenomorphs never invade, they never seek out new territory.

Alien - Xeno introduced to ship
Aliens - Xenos introduced to colony, Marines stir up hive
Alien3 - Xeno introduced to prison accidentally
Alien R - Xenos bred by dumbfucks

If you managed to set up an actual containment, you'd be fine. You could slowly take them out at your leisure because the Xenos only respond. They are not proactive.

Just send small sorties in from time to time, chip away at the edges. Controlled conditions. Aliens also don't breed without hosts. Once you've got a quarantine, all you need to do is wear them down.
>>
>>89260502

So Mcready flames Childs and then somehow gets infected by the Thing somehow, come the fuck on, it's an awesome idea.
>>
File: ben garrison.jpg (40KB, 450x330px) Image search: [Google]
ben garrison.jpg
40KB, 450x330px
It depends if I'm friends with Bob Reynolds or somebody similar, if so, the Thing for bonus points.

If not, then fucking hell of course I'll take xenos. There's actually a chance for survival, although a continent-spanning extermination must be conducted in order to stop those buggers
>>
>>89260511

The problem with this idea in larger cities, you'd need to pray that they don't go looking for food (all organisms need to eat) while building the containment wall.

Also; with a large city like New York City, which is built on mini peninsulas/islands, you'd also have to make sure that they don't swim out in to the Ocean, or they could just escape the dragnet.

Then the extermination would take years. I think NYC has upwards of tens of millions citizens spread throughout the provinces? That's potentially a lot of Xenos to take care of. You'd need to send in multiple squads a day just to make a little headway.

Better just nuke the sight from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Also:
>Alien R - Xenos bred by dumbfucks

Totally, I mean, what harm would it do to house 3 Xenos together in a single cell? Surely their instinct to perpetuate the species won't provoke them to kill at least one of their own to escape their cells. And at the very least, they could have lined the cells with a substance that could resist the highly corrosive molecular acid that runs through the the veins of these bioweapons. Not to mention, what if it bled right through the hull causing a breach?

Dumbfucks indeed, they deserved the the thrashing the Xenos dished out.
>>
>>89260502
I thought it was neither of them was actually the thing, but couldn't prove it to the other, so they froze to death waiting for an attack that never came.
>>
>>89260502
How comes Childs is the one everyone thinks became The Thing? Is it because he's black?
>>
>>89260670
>the Thing learning humanity and becoming good
it's a phenomenally bad idea
the Thing's psychology is ultimately alien, every cell is it's own being, looking out for its own survival, it understands the humans' intentions and beliefs and is able to mimick their behaviour, not because of empathy or some other reflective instinct but purely by its extreme intelligence
>>
>>89260947
Because he went missing while MaCready was on screen during the last fight with the Thing.
>>
>>89261024
That doesn't really prove that he was infected. I've always seen it as an unknown. The viewer not knowing if he's infected or not, if the thing is still alive, or if they both freeze to death, or kill each other in a needless confrontation.
>>
>>89250513
Kek
>>
>>89235561
Xenos
Xenos are an obvious sight, even if strong; and if you evacuate and quarantine the area, and start killing the queens then you've got it all perfectly under control.

Now, the Thing? By the time people even catch wind of it it'll be too late. Evacuating the area will not help, because you need to screen everyone for that, or else you're dooming the whole world. And, hell, just get a human Thing to turn into a thousand Thing mosquitoes and getting at people and infecting them, or even getting to the water supply. Hell, who knows, it might even be able to assimilate plant life.

The Thing has even more movility that a human does, because he can both turn into animals and use our human transport infrastructure, and there are a gazillion vectors of infection he can go through, and he could have assimilated the whole city long before US even thinks of using nuke.

Comparatively, xenos are mostly locked where they are, and will give the army way more time to react and to start killing the hunters and drones and shit, while I try to stave them off or even get to the queens.
>>
>>89256348
how about the dude that got biten by the dog Thing?
>>
>>89258457

That is is Aliens: Book One. Have it on paper.
>>
>>89235561
>The Thing
>loose in a large city
You've already lost
>>
>>89235561
The Thing

Xenomorphs are unbeatable. At least by the end of The Thing it's pretty much confirmed that one can be defetaed
>>
>>89261606
Xenomorphs gets killed left and right all the time. The thing literally only lost because of the area it was in, and we don't even know if it did lose.
>>
>>89261563
The best part of it was a hint that they aren't even the dominant species on their own planet kek
>>
I'm pretty certain that the Thing's were also listed as possessing telepathy. I'd much rather take on a swarm of Xenomorphs.
>>
File: b41[1].gif (304KB, 104x152px) Image search: [Google]
b41[1].gif
304KB, 104x152px
>>89238040
>>
>>89261544
No one got bitten by the dog thing. It assimilated the shadow on the wall (Norris most likely) in secret, and later tried to assimilate several dogs before it was found out. Note that the dogs that were in mid-assimilation were killed either by gunshot wounds or simply died after the assimilation process failed.

The only near exception would be Windows being attacked by Palmer during the couch scene. It devoured most of his head and upper torso before being set on fire. Having half your body engulfed is probably more than enough.
>>
>>89260924
>aliens kill each other to breach the cell in that movie
>later on an alien is seen spitting acid anyway
really makes you think
>>
Why don't we just move all the Xenomorphs to the Green Lantern planet so they can be safely contained?
>>
File: sylar[1].jpg (128KB, 570x311px) Image search: [Google]
sylar[1].jpg
128KB, 570x311px
>>89241349
>with the superpowers of other heroes/villians he comes across if you wanna make him even more overpowered
>>
>>89260947
Is the comic canon? Because if it is then it's more than a theory and it goes into downright confirmation.
>>
>>89235561
Xenos are way easier to handle, I imagine. Martian Manhunter/The Thing would be a cool story. He has to figure out who's a Thing and simultaneously having to deal with his aversion to fire to kill them.
>>
File: wew.gif (3MB, 350x262px) Image search: [Google]
wew.gif
3MB, 350x262px
>>89254629
http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Holy_Fire_Manipulation?useskin=oasis
>Holy Fire Manipulation
It works more for killing Things, but either one is fucked. You and me should team up, anon. You oil em up and I burn em down. At least until your eyes catch fire.
>>
>>89252700
It get's even worse. I read a comic (don't remember exactly which series, marvel or dc) But one xenomorph took out an entire feudal castle, armed to the teeth. Maces, swords, axes, spears, arrows all just glanced off it's carapace armor without doing any damage at all. It was so bad the castle's last survivors armed their prisoners, not that it helped in the end. And I will still take an army of Xenomorphs over ONE Thing.
>>
>>89262319
funny because I bet him attempting to use his telepathy on a thing would cause him to go into seizure
>>
>>89252502
You're right, The Thing may also have upper limits to its ability. On the other hand it couldn't go separating into dozens of small things because it was damn cold, it needed enough biomass to sustain heat.

Still there's no fucking stopping it if it got loose. It could reproduce and split a few times and perfectly mimic most humans. It nearly built a space ship out of whatever junk they had in the antarctic, if it had access to all the tech in a modern city then we might be underestimating its power level.

>>89237802
>>89237094
>>89235561
We mustn't forget how fucking smart The Thing is. It was building a fucking flying machine out of scrap. I doubt the vehicle was space worthy but it was just trying to escape. The Thing has genius level hard intellect.
>>
>>89235561
What tech level are we? Can I buy blood cops? Cause blood cops are basically TL 11 networked nano-bot anti-things that kill all foreign bodies on contact. Just start distributing blood cop nanobots to the populace.
>>
>>89250393

That's how they have sex.
>>
>>89262674
present day
>>
If you're dealing with The Thing in a city you're legitimately, irrevocably fucked.
>>
>>89242334
>followed carpet bombeing and burning every living thing within I'd say around 100 niles
>One hundred Niles
>The Nile is 6,853 km (4,258 miles) long
>Carpetbombing everything in a 685,300 km radio;
>Carpetbombing a surface area of 1,361,437,105,191.8 km2 (525,650,866,314.5 sq miles)
>Surface area of the Earth is 510,072,000 km2 (196,940,000 sq mi)

That's 2669 times the surface of the Earth, dude.
And yet, I'm not sure it'd be enough.
Ffucker was making himself an UFO out of spare parts at an arctic base, think what he could do at some big city
>>
>>89260924
>all organisms need to eat

Xenomorphs canonically don't actually need to eat. They will if food is available, but generally speaking as silicon-based life they process things differently. They can basically just shut down and go into sleep mode for hundreds of years.
>>
>>89262762
I liked the alien comic where they kidnapped people and made them get sum fuk on so they'd have livestock to use
>>
>>89260502
A Tweet from Carpenter had it that either Childs or McReady was Thingified.

Going by the videogame (if you go by the videogame, there are also the Dark Horse comics), McReady is very heavily implied being a Thing since Blake finds popsicle Childs.

And in the comics it is Childs who turned into a Thing.
>>
>>89261755

The book explain everything very well. The unchecked infestation only occurs when they are removed from their natural habitat.

Makes sense. Otherwise the whole planet would be just Xenos an nothing more, including new hosts
>>
File: saya-no-uta1.jpg (217KB, 802x601px) Image search: [Google]
saya-no-uta1.jpg
217KB, 802x601px
Considering the Thing's endgame might end up looking something like this I'd rather go with the Xenomorphs. It's a little less horrifying.
>>
>>89235561
>Thing infests a major city
>Best solution: global ice age
Blanket the globe in enough reflective micro-particles to cause every drop of water on the damn planet to freeze. Yes, humanity would be limited to a few pockets with access to a nuclear power source, but it would give us time to figure out how far it spread and get an extermination protocol in place. Once we're confident we got it all we release a second agent into the atmosphere that bonds with the first and destroys it, allowing the Earth to recover.

Seems drastic? Sure, maybe.
>>
>>89262984
not like you'd be alive in said endgame
>>
>>89248679
>>89244967
>>89255066

God, Shin was horrifying

Not made of corpses, Godzilla's body is capable of regenerating so quickly it was determined that eventually bits of his body would evolve into entirely new organisms, which you see with the humanoid creatures budding off of his tail after he was frozen, possibly as a direct response to that. He's not gonna stay frozen forever, and neither are they
>>
What the thing retain the powers of a hero it absorbed in the dc or marvel universe? Would every thing gain access the abilities or just the single one that absorbed the hero or villain?

If the thing were able to get it's hands on say Wolverines healing factor or kitty prides intangibility is there honestly anything that could stop it?
>>
>>89263180
>when it condensed its atomic breath into a ray that could cut through anything and everything
>when it used the same atomic rays from its back to block incoming attacks and destroy the waves of missiles
>when it used the ray from its tail
Shin is by far the most destructive Godzilla yet.
>>
>>89250492
Event Horizon was a cool concept, but in practice it's just a rip-off of The Shining, Alien, and Hellraiser all at once.
>>
>>89254092
I wanna say Ripley, but what Mac lacks in character growth he makes up for in badassness and beard quality.
>>
>>89254629
>Linguistic Magic
If I can word it right we've got it in the bag!
>>
>>89237802
Fish? You don't need krill or fishes for it to happen

The second the things enters water it infects the photosynthetic plant cells that float in it and within one month you've got half the pacific assimilated all the way to the bottom of the mariana trench.

only reason the movie was plausible it's because it was set in the coldest part of antartica. anywhere close to the shore and it was gg.

people also forget the thing is intelligent and wanted to build a spaceship to leave the planet.

Xenomorphs are a walk to the park compared to the thing. Only possible solution is to carpet bomb the entire region with nukes, and keep doing it for a couple years, then carpet bomb it with napalm to ensure any plantlife dies too. Unless you can turn the a region of a size equivalent to the time a bird can take to travel it form the epicenter into a waste, faster than it can travel it, you've lost.
>>
>>89254629
http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Madness_Embodiment

I think I can make xenomorphs eat each other or something I guess
>>
>>89260980
>the Thing's psychology is ultimately alien, every cell is it's own being, looking out for its own survival, it understands the humans' intentions and beliefs and is able to mimick their behaviour, not because of empathy or some other reflective instinct but purely by its extreme intelligence

If Macready killed all the large pieces of biomass but was still infected he'd be in essence a new organism, biologically the Thing but without any memories of the original.

I just thought it would be funny, since Kurt Russel is playing Ego the living planet, which is kind of like the Thing's endgame, to connect both movies like that and say the Thing is Ego, it just decided to spare earth once it left Antarctica.
>>
>>89263354
There's potentially this danger in xenomorphs as well. There's genetic transfer between the host and the xenomorph, so it's reasonable to assume that mutants and some other metas would pass on their powers to any xenomorphs that incubate inside them.
>>
>>89254629
>http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Empathic_Ice_Manipulation
Probably the best I could have asked for, seeing as a localized super-winter would be about the only thing that could reasonably stop the escape of the Thing.
>>
>>89263374
Hell, not even the true ray

Nigga powering it up was fucking incinerating city blocks with the fire stream
>>
>>89235561

If the Thing has reached a populated area, you've already lost. It'll literally be the city's population in less than a week. Xenomorphs are at least somewhat beatable.

Though if you're street-level you're dead either way.
>>
File: Welles.jpg (23KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Welles.jpg
23KB, 400x300px
>>89237914

>Also it isn't instant or one cell infects everything. Half the guys had AIDS because the cook jerked off into almost everything. Why do you think MacReady and Childs were the last ones left? MacReady survived only on J&B and Childs seemed to sustain himself through a mix of photosynthesis because he was Black in the Antarctica and lust for MacReady. The symbolism was all there!
>>
>>89235561

Something to keep in mind, idk about the movie, but in the story "Who Goes There?", wasn't the Thing actually a prisoner of another race of aliens that were keeping it in their spaceship?
>>
File: the thing vs the blob.jpg (218KB, 1024x572px) Image search: [Google]
the thing vs the blob.jpg
218KB, 1024x572px
>extreme hyperventilating continues
>>
>>89235561
>>89235706
>>89262674

I'm assuming the OP has posted these 3. I'd just like to say that the entire premise of the thread is retarded. Xenomorphs =/= to the Thing. In terms of the levels of threat they pose to you and humanity, the Thing is in another tier entirely.

A better comparison would be would you rather face Xenomorphs or a Terminator. Would you rather face The Thing or the aliens from Independence Day + anti-virus software.

The Thing is far above the level of a modern day street level superhero. >>89262674 if tech like this existed, then maybe you would have a chance. Otherwise, it's unlikely that you would have a chance, and it would be less of a hero story and more of a horror story/end of humanity and all life on earth story.
>>
>>89235561
I'll go with Xenomorphs considering how many average joes have wiped them out.
>>
>>89240038
There's magic, and highly advanced technology in Marvel universes. Surely magic, or highly advanced nanobots would just fuck The Thing over. Not like it can resist magic, or can break the laws of physics and biology to avoid being exterminated by hordes of tiny robots that cannot be assimilated by it, and can spread just as fast, faster than it can, and can be manufactured in multiple places.
>>
>>89258056
That's easy. Just make the Thing useless.

>>89254629
>>89254703

Problem is, OP has said you are street level and have no super powers. Just a normal human.
>>
>>89260924
Doesn't really matter how long the extermination takes, you want to be thorough. Same reason you don't nuke - because they're more likely to live underground you've less chance of wiping them out entirely.

>Dumbfucks indeed, they deserved the the thrashing the Xenos dished out.
Alien R was just this sort of thought experiment in retardation. At least in some of the books they had brighter ideas regarding control.
>>
File: 1457151556260.jpg (68KB, 479x370px) Image search: [Google]
1457151556260.jpg
68KB, 479x370px
>watch Harbinger Down
>didn't realize the entire practical effects team was ex-Thing 2 crew

Fucking nice. That bit with the flesh tubes coming out that one dude's back still makes me shiver to this day. Jesus, that was fucked up.

It may have gotten cheesy towards the end (giant tardigrade puppet? really?) but overall a really sad and scary movie that did Thing 2 better than Thing 2.

>that feel when water bears almost killed your planet

Fucking Commies
>>
>>89262984
To be fair, thats the Aliens endgame too, but change out the red for black
>>
>>89269043
It also needs more dicks, and tubes.
>>
File: frasier.jpg (28KB, 478x513px) Image search: [Google]
frasier.jpg
28KB, 478x513px
>>89262730

He meant Niles Crane, who is around 5'10.

good on you for that math though, look at you go!
>>
>>89245037
Blame the japanese writer of the book that was the source material, oh and the last parasite eve game was 2
>>
>>89250932
tardigrades can survive anything bc they are simple and stupid

if you drop a computer and an analog watch from a balcony, you'll have an easier time fixing the former
>>
>>89271377
the watch i mean the watch.
oh god. am i a tardigrade?
>>
>>89271399

Yes.
>>
>>89254629
>Chess Mimicry
DANGEROUS GAME
>>
File: batwoman_table.png (192KB, 479x402px) Image search: [Google]
batwoman_table.png
192KB, 479x402px
Fuck the Thing game. I could never get past that bullshit staircase area where fucking everything is out to get you. And then when you're at low health, there's two fucking big Things in addition to the turrets set up on every other floor.
>>
>>89250932
>Implying Tardigrades couldn't defeat the Thing on their own.

Nice try anon.

Either way, they can survive temperatures up to 150 degrees c. Napalm burns between 800-1200 degrees c.
>>
File: latest-2.jpg (74KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
latest-2.jpg
74KB, 960x544px
>>89235561
I've always wondered, what will happen if jenova cells from FF7 came in contact with thing cells? They're very similar
>>
>>89238390
Can't feel your brain, no pain receptors in there.
>>
John Carpenter's The Thing?
Fuckig xenomorphs, please. That's saying something.
>>
>anyone but Batman with enough preptime could beat the Thing

Xenos for certain.
>>
>>89254629
I don't know much about the thing, so it coverts cells like a virus over time as it eats things? Kinda like those things from dead space but at a cellular level?
I'm all over that xenomorph stuff though
http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Self-Adaptation?useskin=oasis
Well, I guess I can just adapt to be the natural predator of xenomorphs, Acid Proof and Super Strong, Durability out the wazoo.
>>
>>89260670
McCready's endgame was to have NO survivors. Not even himself.
>>
>>89260939
That's what McCready was hoping for. He wanted to make sure there was no usable host left in case The Thing survived, somehow.
>>
>>89260947
No, McCready sees Childs run off into the dark after someone, and is not seen until the end of the movie. It is heavily implied Childs was infected during that window of time he went missing.
>>
>>89237094
If I recall in the original story they actually started shooting any birds that came near their station, the Thing is seriously bad news.
>>
This entire concept is silly because smaller organisms simply don't have the biomass to run and maintain a depository of information that holds all of the thing's survival instincts, let alone the cellular machinery necessary to create and deploy infecty bits

The whole "absorb everything" thing isn't a viable evolutionary strategy. Like, consider cellulose, the stuff plants are made out of. Most animals aren't capable of digesting it, it isn't worth the mass and energy expenditure - both to create and maintain a stock of cellulose-specific enzymes and keep those enzymes running (you need to expend energy to harvest energy). for one type of organic molecule, the thing needs to expend mass and energy first to find a way to break down and absorb it, then to either keep running those molecules or get rid of them. The thing needs to do that for every new bit of organic machinery it encounters IN ADDITION TO maintaining a lil thing brain in every one of its thing cells

"you only need one cell!!" a single cell cant perform every single function needed to maintain complex life. that's why we have multiple types of cells. "it'll just transform into an infectious cell! like how stem cells can transform into any kind of cell" and pull the necessary mass and energy to do that out of where? its ass?

the creature loses to entropy. we all do.
>>
>>89260947
We know childs is a thing because if he wasn't the thing he wouldnt accept the drink from mccready because he should be afraid of being infected, also if you remember the first scene of mccready playing the chess machine when he is checkmated he throws a drink into its circuits and claims victory anyway, this foreshadows the end
>>
I had a nightmare where a Xenomorph chestburst out of Mister Rogers. He had a sweater, King Friday for a hand, and instead of a second smaller mouth, trolley would emerge to smack me in the face going CHOO CHOO!
>>
>Blair has a noose in the background of one of his scenes

I think The Thing nabbed him when he was committing suicide.
>>
>>89267686
>>89250165
I think it's all a matter of which one has more mass. On the other hand, does every part of The Blob try to digest Blob it touches? That could be a problem for The Thing.
>>
>>89244307
>no method that can help you
you could have a guy fuck you up the ass and drown it with semen while it's still small but you'd have to act fast
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (95KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
95KB, 1280x720px
The Thing versus The Pillar Men.

(They were totally influenced by The Thing by the way.)
>>
>>89272491
I feel like ultimate Kars will stand a good chance. In fact unlike the thing, he has the dna of every animal on earth already in his body
>>
File: 1470177051203.gif (106KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1470177051203.gif
106KB, 250x250px
>>89250993
>Lorryia formosa
>>
>>89272138
Well lets assume it isnt entirely organic but perhaps is a mix of superadvanced nanotech eith bio elements.
>>
>>89272491
Yeah, Araki's a big fan of horror movies so I wouldn't be surprised. ACDC especially.

I was kind of sad/shocked to see it not make his list of favorite horror movies, but I'm sure it's not as fun to watch subtitled as it is to watch in the native language.
>>
File: mouthhhhhh.jpg (17KB, 336x265px) Image search: [Google]
mouthhhhhh.jpg
17KB, 336x265px
>>89242812
>tfw if you'd chosen the antagonistic forces of either of the other two movies there'd be no winning it at all
At least it'd make for a good comic movie adaptation
>>
>>89244071
If they aren't a hivemind, do Infected recognize other Infected? Like, if two people were infected by the same Infected at the same time, without the other knowing, would they try and infect eachother, or would they know?
>>
>>89237802
Does jenova from final fantasy 7 come close?
>>
>>89243698
My top three are Alien, The Thing, and In the Mouth of Madness.

ItMoM is an existential nightmare though. All the factors in it really drive home the horror of the world just not making sense anymore. There's literally nothing you can do about it.

>>89267364
You know, you say it like that and it almost sounds like a shoggoth, an amorphous blob race created by the Elder Things.

... The Elder Things that used to have a city in Antarctica, which is where the science team in Mountains of Madness find a shoggoth.

Shit, the Thing is LITERALLY lovecraftian.
>>
>>89260980
While not implicitly stated in canon work, it has been implied that Things, even when it's a human with human intelligence, does not have humanoid thoughts and desires. It merely emulates them to blend in - if a Thing was left by itself long enough, it would sit blankly until it sensed outide stimuli.
>>
>>89273557
I think its like an instinct thing. They can tell one another apart from a crowd by like smell or movement.
>>
>>89272138
Just do what Deadspace did and the animating biomass is powered by a complex alien artifact that draws power across the universe from an unknown source. Its beyond human understanding because you're dealing with elder gods and being exposed to them warps your flesh into something they want. You assume its evolutionary but what if it wasn't? What happens if the Thing is actually an alien weapon meant to infiltrate and destroy civilizations?

>the creature loses to entropy. we all do.

Dont try to be deep
>>
>>89252137
Dios The World above Heaven
Giornos GER because of hacks and he could probably tell who was infected via the same fashion he scanned his party for Diavolo.
Gay Priest with Made in Heaven
Fugo could kill pretty much anything biological
>>
File: images.jpg (11KB, 200x252px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 200x252px
Is the collector's edition of The Thing worth getting or should I just get the regular blu ray?
>>
>>89271695
The entire game is hard as fuck in certain situations.

And without proper planning it will be like crazy levels of difficulty.

Even the first serious boss in the game is rape-tastic if you don't blow up those tentacles in time or don't have enough flamethrower ammo.

>>89271809
Then were are irreversibly screwed.
>>
>>89237802
>Could the thing assimilate the blob?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glzcxa7jtoI
>>
>>89235561
Xenomorphs are top priority.

Ben Grimm can easily be dealt with.
>>
File: Sutter Cane.png (323KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
Sutter Cane.png
323KB, 853x480px
>>89272975

>that pic

Sutter Cane would make a pretty great antagonist for a magic user hero, actually. He's OP as hell.

>reality warper who gets stronger the more people read/watch his works, gets strong enough to the point that his books/movies literally mutate people into monsters and he can create entire towns and people out of nothing but thought

He's basically the ultimate version of a memetic vampire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agWPEWophEU
>>
>>89278076
All three Apocalypse Trilogy antagonists are OP. Hence them each being apocalyptic threats.

Sutter Kane is probably the worst in context because he succeeds and there was nothing John Trent could do about it.
>>
>>89250492
>dat feel when we'll never get a sequel with the chick and dude who survived having to prevent another invasion from the demon aliens while reuniting with a super crazy and old Laurence Fishburne who managed to survive for years
>>
>>89254629
>http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Solar_Attacks

From what I read, I've basically got Hamon powers
>>
>>89279036

>and there was nothing John Trent could do about it.

One of my favourite horror movie endings of all time. Hell, maybe just one of my favourite endings period.
>>
>>89278076
>>89279036

Cane reminded me of Grant Morrison's self-insert in Animal Man, only more horre horrifying.
>>
>>89277207

I played the game RE style and abused the team up mechanic when ever I could, alays keeping a medic. I was a walking arsenal for most of the game as a result. I also fought that pain in the ass part before the final boss by memorizing the enemy position and sniping the entire section. I had an easier time though being paranoid as fuck the whole time.

I should play it again for the heck of it.
>>
>>89272491
They're still as vulnerable as a human is, they can just adjust where everything in their body is, and its malleability.

As long as the Thing can isolate and physically grapple with them, it can assimilate them. They'd probably managed to damage one first, without realizing it isn't dead. It'd take realizing fire is key, which they might not do. If they're in an area that isn't completely dead to life like Antarctica though, they're fucked, since the whole world will become their enemy.
>>
>>89235561
>or the Thing running loose in your city?
We are fucked, call in THE bomb. I'll die along with the Thing. There's just too much life moving around in my city to contain it in any way.
>>
>>89235561
Xenomorphs definitely. The Punisher could believably destroy a xenomorph nest. Assuming I have Batman tier training and a minor Daredevil tier superpower I should be able to do it.

The Thing would require cosmic powers to stop once it makes its way into a city.
>>
>>89281938
They can eat people by walking through them and passively absorbing their mass. Who's to say that they cannot just eat The Thing every time they make contact?
>>
>>89282021
>Who's to say that they cannot just eat The Thing every time they make contact?
Same reason they didn't just eat the novice Hamon users right away.
>>
>>89254629
>http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Somatosensory_Imprint

>The ability to find and track down anything after having touched the target once before.

FUCK NO.
>>
>>89243698
Maybe not the greatest, but I'd be hard pressed to name a better one.
>>
>>89282459
The Pillar Men could not eat Joseph or Caesar because their Ripple energy protected them. The Thing doesn't have Ripple powers.
>>
>>89281739
Sadly I never finished that game.

I got stuck in the lab.

No guns, no med packs, and a whole load of Things around.

Plus accidentally formatted the disk where I had the game.

>>89282534
Yeah, risky when your enemy needs a single cell to infect you.
>>
>>89282021
They can consume it as much as they want. Bringing Thing cells into their body is only as effective as the speed at which they can digest or destroy the cells. It could actively assist the Thing.

It just depends on whether Pillar digestion is faster than Thing assimilation, since the Thing cells envelope and reproduce individual cells. If even one cell is overtaken, that's it.
>>
>>89236720
>No anon, you get to choose between dealing with xenomorphs or the Thing. Unless you want to take on both?
WHO THE FUCK WOULD TAKE THE THING
It takes one damn cell to infect somebody. Within 3 years the whole world is infected. Giant bug aliens is at least enough reason to quarentine and surround the city. Nobody would ever catch the thing before it got to another city to spread.
>>
>>89244875
They wouldn't do it, The Thing would escape. We don't know how long Blair-Thing was a thing but he build a fucking UFO in a few days time.
>>
>>89243698
Close, it's #2. Die Hard is the greatest movie of all time.
>>89250492
The thing + event horizon = dead space
>>
>>89250993
It looks so cheerful and happy!
>>
>>89254629
http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Almighty_Ascension

That was easy.
>>
>>89262762
> Silicon based life form.
> Gaining sustenance from carbon based life forms.
> Being able to gestate in carbon based life forms.

Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?
>>
>>89254629
http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Function_Impairment

So I can disrupt the Thing's biological functions? I might have a chance.
>>
>>89261024
Childs doesn't have breath
Childs displays no signs of cold or exhaustion
Childs went missing for a long ass fucking time
Childs was apperantly lost while they were fucking blowing up the camp
>>
>>89254629
>http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Destroyer_Deity_Physiology
I guess I win if I can just Hakai it into oblivion.
>>
>>89260947
I always just assumed people said that because he's not Kurt Russel.
>>
File: 1431572418132.jpg (31KB, 387x302px) Image search: [Google]
1431572418132.jpg
31KB, 387x302px
>>89282583

But what if the Thing assimilated someone with Ripple powers?
Thread posts: 444
Thread images: 70

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.