[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comic book industry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1484585433887.jpg (2MB, 1280x1698px) Image search: [Google]
1484585433887.jpg
2MB, 1280x1698px
How and when did it go wrong?
What are your ideas of fixing it?
>>
>What are your ideas of fixing it?

"My belief is that we have to stay focused on the military that is so lethal that on the battlefield, it is the enemy's longest day and worst day when they run into that force."

....but for comics
>>
Capeshit and hipsters
>>
buying more variants.
>>
How to fix it:
>Buy creator-owned comics.
>Don't buy corporate-owned comics.

How to not fix it:
>Refuse to make any changes to your own lifestyle.
>Wait for someone else to fix the industry instead of you.
>>
>>89197682
Pay people better, first off. It's ridiculous that some colorists and inkers get 25-35 dollars a page for the amount of work they put in. It's nonsense. Maybe publishers should stop hiring so goddamn much new talent and focus on what they have and they'll be able to pay better.

And maybe focus on webcomics more. I know a big criticism for mainstream cape comics today is nonsensical SJW-y dialogue and forced diversity-- if there were more people focused on webcomics maybe there would be more of an outlet for those kinds of audiences there instead of in superhero comics.
>>
>>89198622
>just do Zuda again, that went so well last time
>>
>>89198660
Oof, I've never heard of it before now.

It looks like one of their big issues was using people who were already prominent in print comics and not bringing in anyone fresh and new, so that somehow didn't generate a lot of interest.

It just seemed like a good idea when I thought about, for example, how Hiveworks seems to be flourishing.
>>
>>89197682
>How and when did it go wrong?
It didn't really. Things just run their course.
Read comics and let history and technology do their thing. You may not like the result, but it isn't like you can do anything about it, not on a macro scale.

Comics will soon enough be digital-first and then digital-only. They'll merge with narrative-heavy video games like visual novels and JRPGs. You saw the future of comics in Homestuck.
>>
rebuild most of it from the ground up starting with the big two
>>
File: 56I0dK0b.jpg (18KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
56I0dK0b.jpg
18KB, 225x350px
>>89197682
No single thing went wrong it was like a line of dominos of dumb shit happening, the top 3 being the marginalization of non-superhero books, the rise of Diamond, and the speculator bubble and burst

I don't think it can be fixed. Comics don't have steady enough ground to stand on, in the US. The majority of shit that's out there now seems like fools pitching their TV/movie ideas. They will never be as relevant as they once were ever again.
>>
>>89197985
>>89198622
This

Comics used to be targeted to the actual people who are interested in those kinds of things, now they're ruined with hamfisted, sanctimonious and preachy virtue signalling all to appease a demographic that doesn't exist

They literally spit in the faces of the fans who keep their companies alive
>>
>>89197682
stop supporting the big two. Once they go under creator driven comics will outlive corporate ones.
>>
>>89199363
>hamfisted, sanctimonious and preachy virtue signalling

This has literally always been true in comics.
>>
>>89197682

Giving people the heroes they want seems like a good idea. Iron Man is arguably the most popular hero in the world right now and his comic had great sales. So Marvel replaces him? I don't have any strong feeling on Riri either way but replacing him with anybody is retarded
>>
>>89199458
>There are people who seriously think this
When the big two dies, it along with the LCS will go too meaning these creator driven books won't have any place to be distributed to, most Book Stores won't stock indieshit unless it's Image and just good luck getting on there unless you're already a big name and most of all the Big Two can still live off printing reprints of old shit.
>>
>>89197682
Break up the monopoly.

I know, I might as well eat white christian babies here, but the fact is that France, Japan and Italy do not have a monopolist in their comic market and that the net result of that is positive.
>>
>>89198838
>the future of comics in Homestuck.
kill it now then
>>
>>89200815

Maybe it's just an anglo thing. The US comic scene is dying, the UK just has 2000AD and the Beano and there were no monopoly problems there. And the Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians just absorb American media like leeches.

I don't see it ever getting better
>>
>>89200874
>The US comic scene is dying
Meme
>>
>>89200891

Yeah man Marvel is giving away 50 - 100% overship on books because everything is going great
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.