[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Animated movies you've enjoyed recently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 14

File: Long-Way-North-movie-poster[1].jpg (90KB, 736x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Long-Way-North-movie-poster[1].jpg
90KB, 736x1000px
Hey /co/, got any recs?

I'll begin with The Long Way North. A movie about a young russian aristocrat embarking on a ship to find her grandfather, lost while trying to reach the north pole.

Despite being a kid's movie, it's fully enjoyable for adults as well, and it uses some heavy themes (but tactfully).
Sacha is one of the best female protagonists in recent years, and the whole crew has good characterization, without anyone being black or white. It's a story about trust and comradery that has no sugar coating.

I liked the the artstyle, and the animation quality was pretty decent.

The navigation on the artic ice pack is beautifully rendered, and I say it as a sailor.
Soundtrack is amazing, so are facial expressions and postures. I've never seen so many things transmitted through gazes in a movie, and so efficiently. English dub was pretty meh, I preferred the sub.

If I had to nitpick, I'd say that since the movie is quite slow, I wasn't completely immersed during a couple scenes. Taking its time is useful for the athmosphere, but as a result there was a handful of minutes around the 1h mark where I wondered where the director was going and if they would have the time to wrap it up decently. In the end, they did.
Also I'm not sure cabin boys in 1880 knew CPR.
And a bunch of dogs were probably eaten offscreen since you don't see them in the second part of the movie.

All things considered, 9/10. Go watch it, anons, it's really neat.

Trailer(only decent one I found):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7JDw2Qimo

Also, has anyone seen My Life as a Zucchini? I've heard only good things about it.
>>
>>89180317
>0:02
>Winter Palace is mirrored

dropped
>>
>>89180317
>Animated movie set in Russia and featuring almost exclusively Russian characters
>Does not exist in Russia

This is while crap like Emoji Movie is released here like clockwork
>>
>>89181037
Maybe they don't like works about the tsarist period?

Have a streaming link (with greek(?) and english subtitles, for some reason).
http://www.putlocker-now.co/movies/632-long-way-north.html
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I1pRoRJtlw
>>
File: 1473443757.jpg (213KB, 650x929px)
1473443757.jpg
213KB, 650x929px
>>89180317
De profondis, a Spain animated film.
>>
>>89180317
>>89185682

Looks nice, I will look for it.
>>
>>89185682
What's the story?

I've got no movies off the top of my head, so here are a couple shorts :

>freak of the week, music video made by Blacksad's artist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2vzBdIejVY

>a tale/un conte, graduation movie from the gobelins. Expect feels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZaJ-1QL9dc
>>
does anyone have a link to Eleanor's Secret (2009)?

I saw it when I was Europe a few years ago but can't find any copy since
>>
File: pokl3.jpg (132KB, 1080x810px)
pokl3.jpg
132KB, 1080x810px
>>89182169
They fucking love the Tsarist period. An adventure about heroic Arctic exploration should be right up their alley, and yet it seems to be released exclusively in evil NATO countries.
>>
>>89180317
Somewhat recently discovered The Tragedy of Man. One of the more cultured animated films I've ever seen, and very impressive. It's based on a 15 act play, and every act is done in a different amazing art style. It's one of those things that makes me wish the word "epic" hadn't been tainted by meme faggotry, because in its more literal sense it's the best way I can describe it.
>>
>>89180317
>Also, has anyone seen My Life as a Zucchini?
I have. Wonderful movie I'll remember fondly for years to come. It makes clear its dark tone from the opening scene, though it lightens up a bit. Less a straight out kids movie, and more of an adult movie featuring a cast of kids. Also love that short runtime, though I would have gladly watched it for another hour.

Hope you are able to find a way of watching it soon. From what I know of, unless you get screener DVDs from being an Academy member, the only way of seeing it is at various film festivals (how I saw it). I'm also not sure how the dub will turn out. I generally don't liek them.
>>
>>89189540
Why canonize the Romanovs as saints?
>>
Saw this about a week ago. It was pretty good.

Has anyone else here seen it? I watched it without subtitles because understanding the dialogue didn't seem essential for watching it, but I can't tell if the language spoken was just some language I don't happen to know like maybe Portuguese, or if it was just made up jibberish meant to sound like a language. Does anybody know?
>>
File: IMG_0114.jpg (348KB, 1920x1012px)
IMG_0114.jpg
348KB, 1920x1012px
>>89180317
>been waiting for this to come out for years
>miss its one showing at a local film festival

FUCK
>>
>>89194255

Saw it at a theatre, fuck that ending messed me up
>>
>>89195075
I'd already had it spoiled for me from /co/, so I was waiting for it.
>>
>>
>>89180317
Yeah this was really good
>>
A french film called Phantom Boy I believe.

A kid undergoing treatment in the hospital is able to astral project his soul out of his body, and he uses that ability to help a cop bring down a supervillain. It's pretty good
>>
>>89196610
>So much visual diversity in one image

God, I wish overseas studios wouldn't try to capitalize on American CG. Like this movie for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-YuxDOO8pU

I can already tell if it was animated like it's concept art, it'd be fucking gorgeous instead of just pretty good looking.
>>
>>89196610
>Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
I trough you didn't want shorts on the chart?
>>
>>89196610
Also, if you accept Korean films than you should add Aachi & Ssipak, Yobi The Five Tailed Fox, Wonderful Days and My Beautiful Girl, Mari.
>>
>>89202769
You forgot Oseam.

Also, I don't think Yobi is really noteworthy.
>>
>>89202862
>You forgot Oseam.
Oh shit you're right!

>Also, I don't think Yobi is really noteworthy.
I agree but it seem to be the most popular one.
>>
>>89194255
Brazilian here. the dialogue is scattered Portuguese words, mostly jibberish, but it isn't necessary at all to the plot.
>>
>>89181037
>>89182169
>>89189540
What stories could be made about the tsarist period?

Because now I want to see more.
>>
File: p87-5006.jpg (133KB, 704x623px)
p87-5006.jpg
133KB, 704x623px
>>89203558
The Tsarist period spans 200+ years (1000+ if you count not just the Romanovs) and covers almost a sixth of all land on Earth, that's such a vast diversity of themes that I don't even know where to begin.
>>
File: 001ba4b2[1].jpg (204KB, 560x725px)
001ba4b2[1].jpg
204KB, 560x725px
>>89190252
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eSdOPcHum8

This movie made me realise how rich the history of art is, and how many excellent aesthetics and styles aren't used in animation.
Gimme some Art Nouveau movie, please.

>>89203558
Adaptations of any work made by Dostoievski, Tolstoi or Pushkin.
Or other russian novels from that period, I guess.
It's a 22 million square kilometers setting that lasted 200 years, you can probably have a lot of variety.

Also, there's a french comic called the cycle of Ostruce, set in a fantasy russia where the tsar is a dragon and its death triggers a bolshevik revolution. The art is a bit irregular sometimes, but it's truly excellent.
>>
File: hotenings.png (53KB, 404x402px)
hotenings.png
53KB, 404x402px
>animated arthouse scene is almost nonexistent outside japan

it aint right man. rec me some shit bros
>>
>>89204576
>>
>>89202616
I don't. I needed to put a placeholder in there until I find a better replacement. It's next up to be cut and moved to my runner up list. But I also really wanted to make an exception to my rule because Rikki is one of my close personal favorites.
>>
>>89202769
I'll have to add those to my watch list. The only one I've seen so far is Yobi. It was kinda good, but I don't think I'll be adding it.
>>
>>89204851
What else is on your watchlist?
>>
>>89204881
>the prophet
>hoffmaniada
>a long way north
>a scanner darkly
>padak
>$9.99
>anamolisa
>mystery of the third planet
>the art of happiness
>idiots and angels

I have no idea if I'll be able to find all of these, these are mostly ideas and I'm not in a rush to get to them.
>>
>>89181037
>>89182169

Russia is so sexually starved that bright colours are interpreted as "degenerate"
>>
>>89204959
You should add Psiconautas.
>>
>>89204959
>anomolisa

You can't see this soon enough. Absolutely astounding movie.
>>
>The Thief and the Cobbler
Good stuff
>>
It's like if Tintin and Bioshock had a gorgeously funny and catastrophic 100-minute movie lovechild.
>>
>>89205675
I just saw this last night, high five anon. movie was just aight tho
>>
>>89205016
If they consider this movie to have bright colors, I shudder to imagine how bleak Russia looks like IRL.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.