[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Really makes you think.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 222
Thread images: 17

File: JOR1Ptj.jpg (877KB, 1853x2220px) Image search: [Google]
JOR1Ptj.jpg
877KB, 1853x2220px
Really makes you think.
>>
>>89177446
We've always known the list is bullshit, and Songbird brings up a good point in the third panel.
>>
File: 1472753972987.jpg (501KB, 1326x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1472753972987.jpg
501KB, 1326x2000px
>>89177474
Tell me more.
>>
>>89177486
Reed is a renaissance man and should obviously be at the top. However, you also have Pym on the list who mainly specializes in robotics, entomology, and Pym particles. You also have people that don't really put themselves out there when it comes to super-science like Xavier and Peter Parker.
>>
>>89177537
Given we don't actually know WHO is on the list, how can we state 27th place isn't correct?

Sure, it's quite unlikely(Monica Rapaccini, for example, should be around 10th place at least), but we don't even know the criteria used.
>>
File: speechless.png (266KB, 263x480px) Image search: [Google]
speechless.png
266KB, 263x480px
I really dont get why Marvel has been pushing this "MOON GIRL IS AN AFRICAN INTELLECTUAL, THE SMARTEST ACTUALLY" meme
Has she actually invented something?
>Reed Richards: His own type of time travel, his own brand of inter-dimensional travel; his own brand of space travel; his own brand of unstable molecules; IS LITERALLY A GOD; Parker Particles
>Peter Parker; Web Shooters, 4 armored suits that can withstand projectile in the universe; Rediscovered Parker Particles
>Hank Pym: Pym Particles; and Ultron
>>
>>89177620
>Has she actually invented something?
a lot of shit.
But apparently they are going by sheer brain-power: she has a IQ even greater than Reed, but being just a child she lacks knowledge and resources.
>>
>>89177620
she invented dinosaurs
>>
>>89177446
>>89177486
Mockingbird has become Marvel's go-to toxic SJW.
>>
>>89177537
The Smartest People on Earth list is fucked lately since most of the top people are either dead or believed dead.
>>
>>89177731
only during her solo(and her cameo in PM&IF)

She got better as soon as it did end, and in Wasp she's perfectly reasonable and logical.
>>
>>89177474
>Songbird
>>
>>89177446
>on the one hand makes a point
>on the other hand super pretentious

on the gripping hand placing a woman super low on the list just to reinforce your own viewpoint is classic strawman tactics and invalidates the whole thing as biased, hypocritical garbage
>>
>there's a list of the smartest people in the world
>when somebody new bothered to contact them and take a test, they updated the list
>they must not be seeking out new geniuses because clearly women would blow everybody off the list!

I guess we can see why these two won't be making the list.
>>
If Banner, Stark and Doom are so smart why Captain HYDRA is playing them like a fiddle?
>>
>>89177446
>Really makes you think.
only that this does the complete opposite of trying to combat sexism by establishing it was a thing to begin with. So by admitting it's a thing they're only reminding us and therefore confounding comics with even more social issues that don't really add to the story or sales.
>>
>>89177778
well, it being garbage has been suggested from the start: see Cho being 7th smartest out of nowhere.

In here they also note the list is outdated and the mechanism behind it not known- it suggests the list isn't sexist: it' just wrong.

>>89177799
>>>when somebody new bothered to contact them and take a test,
except, they didn't.
the exact mechanism is yet unknown.
>>
>>89177814
Because he is Captain America. Why would you not trust him?
>>
>>89177446
It's correct that institutions- especially academic ones- are basically masturbatory and that they are traditionally male.

I don't know what else you want to discuss. Probably the comic isn't very good? I didn't read it. I think it's weird how the lips are drawn though.
>>
>>89177814
Cause Steve is also smart. The issue is that intelligence, knowledge and wisdom often get mixed up.

Steve has massive intelligence ("human peak") which is how he can perfectly calculate his shield throw trajectories to bounce it back to him. In pure processing power he's probably above most of the "smartest people".
>>
>>89177814
Because they're anti-social fuckwits while Steve is a people person. Muh Alone! Muh Armor! Muh Latveria! Those three are Safe Space fantasies for boys.
>>
>>89177446
Wait wouldn't a girl taking the test and being the smartest prove that the rest is perfectly fine for both men and women to take?
Why go on this trek for girl geniuses if the test method is working?

Or are they saying that this lil girl taking the test is bullshit???
>>
>>89177640
but that makes no fucking sense. Didn't she get REJECTED by the Future Foundation? I thought her series was gonna follow how despite being crazy smart, in the marvel universe filled with super science she was basically average.

Also Reed's own kid Val should be the smartest person in all of Marvel for a long time to come. She has been hinted time and time again that when she grows up her genius will rival Reed and Doom combined.

As of now the three year old Valeria's only slightly as smart as Reed.
>>
>>89177814
Because he's charismatic and an excellent tactician. That's like asking why the nerdiest kid in school can't talk his way into a cheerleader's pants.
>>
>>89177814
oh also, Banner is dead
Stark is in a coma

>>89177897
>Didn't she get REJECTED by the Future Foundation?
She's similar to Reed in that she was smart, but then got smarterer

In her case, she was exposed to Terrigen mist. Turned out to be an Inhuman. One of her Inhuman powers is Being Real Smart
>>
>>89177446

>27

The list only goes all the down to eight
>>
>>89177446
>>89177537
Shouldn't like the top 560 be Wakandan's?
>>
>>89177853
>The issue is that intelligence, knowledge and wisdom often get mixed up.
this is also pointed out in the issue itself- another point at "the list is bullshit".

Please note pretty much the only one ever caring about the list was Cho... basically nobody else ever cited it until Moon Girl because nobody cares

>>89177863
they are saying the test is probably bullshit AND they are saying "lesser known genius people don't get to be tested and listed because it's a small circle, so we need to find those people!"

>>89177897
not all people on Future Foundation were there because they were super-geniuses. Hell, Alex Power is quite low-level as super-intellect goes.

IIRC she was rejected because she too young, too, but don't bet on it
>>
>>89177823
My point is the author could have put a woman at 9th and we would have gone "huh, ok."
Or 16th and we would have said "now wait a minute, that doesn't sound right."
But they didn't. They put the first woman at 27 because 27 is fucking ridiculous and they wanted to define the environment as ridiculously sexist to justify going ridiculously feminist.

egalitarian master race
>>
>>89177915
I thought that her inhuman power was to switch brains with a dinosaur.
>>
>>89177948
Also Moon Girl is technically disqualified, since the listing is supposed to specify only humans who hadn't altered themselves. This is why people like the High Evolutionary or the Maker wouldn't appear on it

As an Inhuman, she wouldn't be on the list.
>>
>>89177897
Haven't kept up with it, but I think it was hinting at her not being as smart as everyone thinks she is. Like the kids that makes straight A's in a regular class but can't keep up in AP courses.
>>
>>89177994
Again, like Reeds

She got a brain boost with her brain-switch powers

A lot of people forget, but Reed's intelligence was boosted by the cosmic rays. He went from Really Smart Dude to Really Smartest Dude
>>
>>89177949
I don't think they wanted to push the sexist angle as much as the "this list is either bullshit or people really didn't try to compile it right"

would have worked better if they told us WHO is the woman on the 27th position

>>89177995
>the listing is supposed to specify only humans who hadn't altered themselves.
we don't know JACK SHIT about the list.

every time it get brought up, it sound more bullshit
>>
>>89177949
>because 27 is fucking ridiculous

It's very good for a woman.
Women are rarely in the top 27 anything.
>>
>>89177997
usually the issue there isn't intelligence as much as it is workload.
>>
>>89178009
>A lot of people forget, but Reed's intelligence was boosted by the cosmic rays
I don't remember this being canon for 616.
>>
>>89177446
>We gotta start looking for OUR people
The tone here is very "US VS THEM." Is it just me?
>>
>>89178012
It's pretty simple

Only Humans
No altering self for more brain power (Reeds would be fine, Maker would not)

The main problem was we really had no idea who was where, it was completely guesswork outside of Richard Reeds (#1) and Cho (who floated around, but always seemed to have a number)
>>
>>89178027
I could be remembering wrong
Let me see if I can find anything to back up my statement
>>
>>89178071
source on this?

>>89178077
thanks
>>
>>89178012
>I don't think they wanted to push the sexist angle
It's two woman talking about a woman being on a list that is dominated by men. If this isn't sex baiting I don't know what is.
>>89178017
NOT FUCKING HELPING

I kek'd
>>
>>89177915
The terrigen didn't make her smarter.
>>
>>89178048
It's not just you.
>>
>>89178090
>thanks
Yeah looking it up, it seems to come from an early FF comic where he met an alternate universe Reeds, who hadn't been exposed and was noticeably less intelligence

However, it was never stated and there could have been another reason.

The wikia and all that claim I'm right, but provide no sources. Gonna have to call it fan-canon
>>
>>89177537
>Xavier and Peter Parker.
Xavier is in no fucking way a super-genius. Peter is a genius, but doesn't rank compared to the likes of Reed, Stark and Banner.
>>
>>89177897
>Also Reed's own kid Val should be the smartest person in all of Marvel for a long time to come
Well yeah, at 3 years old she was as smart as Reed and Doom and adult Val is the smartest person in the universe.

BUT Val, alongside Reed and the rest of the Future Foundation are all busy remaking the multiverse and people in-universe assume they're dead.
>>
>>89177995
>As an Inhuman, she wouldn't be on the list.
Being an inhuman doesn't effect her intellect in any way though. Her power is mind-swapping, not any form of intelligence augmentation. Hank McCoy is on the list but he's a mutant whose constantly experimenting on himself.
>>
>>89178381
The point is she isn't human
>>
>>89178012
>we don't know JACK SHIT about the list.
Yes we do, we know that the Top 8 on the list were:
>Reed
>Doom
>Banner
>Pym
>Stark
>T'challa
>McCoy
>Cho

Until very recently when half those people died and a bunch of new super-geniuses were introduced.
>>
>>89178071
>Only Humans
Except Beast is on the list.
>>
>Smartest person in the world meaning anything when Tony Stark and Bruce Banner are dead and Reed Richards and Hank Pym are MIA
>>
>>89178412
Mutants are humans. Inhumans are too far removed.
>>
>>89178396
Neither is Hank McCoy, and he's on the list.
>>
>>89178400
>Yes we do, we know that the Top 8 on the list were:
source?
>>
>>89178442
World War Hulks. The Intelligencia gather the top 8 from the list to siphon their intellect as part of some convoluted masterplan for The Leader and MODOK to become even smarter. Those are the 8 that get picked. We know Reed is 1, Doom is 2, and Cho was 8
>>
>>89178048
Feminism has a strong emphasis on the collective female and looking out for other women is seen as a must.
>>
>>89178426
>Inhumans are too far removed.
A pure-bred Inhuman maybe, but Moon-Girl is a nuhuman who is only like .001% inhuman. She's a human with just barely enough inhuman ancestry to be able to go through terrigenesis. And even then, Inhumans are just humans that got experimented on. They're not really any different from mutants in that regard. It's just that the Celestials were the ones doing the experiments for mutants whereas the Kree did the experiments for inhumans.
>>
>>89178426
>Mutants are humans
No, they aren't. They're Homo Supreme, not Homo Sapien.
>>
>>89178017
Women are in the top 27 of thing I want to put my dick in.
>>
>>89178400
We've lost

>Reed, having adventures as god
>Banner, recovering from a bad case of death
>Pym, currently being a robit
>Stark, attempting to be the nap champion

We've gained

>Moon Girl
>Blue Marvel
>Riri Williams
>Nadia Pym

Dunno about the last one
But the list has shuffled around a bit and poor Cho is still at #8, though Waid seems to be writing him dumber with every issue.

>>89178442
>>89178462
Reeds also stated that Banner, Cho, T'Challa, McCoy and himself were in the top 8 at another time, which reinforces your point

>>89178496
That is actually a pretty logical argument. Most of the "smartest people" listing was done prior to the new Inhuman wave, so I don't see why they should be kept out.

I'll concede
>>
>>89178513
You're the supreme homo
>>
>>89178513
Fuck off mutie the only Homo Supreme is Mr. Immortal.
>>
>>89178550
Sick burn, bruh.
>>
>>89178603
thanks babe
i love you
>>
>>89178620
B-Baka...
>>
>>89177446
Who care about the list, it's not like a writer with an average intelligence can write the smartest person in the world differently from the second smartest person in the world or even a guy smarter than him. Being on the list it's just to justify any asspull by "he is fucking smart"
>>
>>89177446
Yeah, a cute genius like Baby Wasp deserve to be on the list.

Really making me think why a cutie like her haven't made the list.
>>
>>89177561
>the criteria used

"Doesn't have a penis."
>>
>>89178329
How so?
>>
>>89177446
There's a dead guy on the list at #16. Really makes you think.
>>
File: pym be like.jpg (33KB, 386x301px) Image search: [Google]
pym be like.jpg
33KB, 386x301px
>>89177446

Come talk to me when you've saved the world with an invention that defies logic or built a universe out of the corpse of your dead wife.

How convenient Marvel has killed off or threw into limbo a lot of their male geniuses.
>>
>>89177446
So based on feats and capabilities, who do you think should make the list, /co/?

Imo it would be:

>Valeria Richards
>The Maker
>Reed Richards
>Victor von Doom
>Tony Stark
>Hank Pym
>Blue Marvel
>Bruce Banner
>T'challa
>Hank McCoy
>Amadeus Cho
>>
who even gives a shit about a list?

It doesn't matter where you rank in some nebulous "intelligence list", does it come with benefits like dental and tax cuts?

It's just masturbation, specifically WRITERS masturbating THEMSELVES over their characters, with you fucktards all watching and clapping.
>>
>>89178462
Oh, right, now I remember. Thanks.

Obviously, that is valid only if the Intelligentia and SHIELD are using the same list... though them 8 being up there in both just makes sense.

>>89178818
She was a Russian secret until a little time ago.
And many just don't get in touch with the right people to test for The List. This most likely includes a lot of male geniuses, though.
>>
>>89177446
Just more virtue signaling bullshit from the House of Ideasâ„¢.
>>
>>89178965
I've always thought that a list of relative intelligence/strength of characters, something owned by only the editors, would come in handy for reference in writing when it comes to such large universes. Seems strange to put in the story though.
>>
When a man is a super genius he's often not much of a looker, averagely handsome or perhaps just not ugly but nothing special. Some are horrifically ugly. They may be socially retarded despite being good guys.

When a woman is a super genius she's a super-model who has thousands of friends, an active social life, a pet, a side-job and the universe crystallizes around her to resolve all issues with her slightest input.

Ideally I hope for a day when all male characters are gone and every story is about bed bugs.
>>
>>89178965
It never really mattered to anybody in story besides Cho. Smart characters make weird shit when ever the plot calls. Not to mention despite the list everybody tends to be #1 in their specific field. It really only matters to nerds.
>>
>>89179075
>bed bugs

There's a Hellcat story arc about that.
>>
File: Darmok, his phaser power on full.gif (1010KB, 233x226px) Image search: [Google]
Darmok, his phaser power on full.gif
1010KB, 233x226px
>>89177446
Fucks sake.

I'm actually something of an SJW. More representation of women/other races/homosexuals is a good thing in my book, provided its done well and not just done for representations sake or to score progressive points. In my opinion it gives a broader palate from which to tell stories than just the white male angle, not that there's anything inherently bad with the while male angle mind you.

But Jesus fucking Christ.

Does nobody read this and realise how on the nose it is? How shit the writing is? How fucking awful the argument is?

>Hurr the test was by men, therefore it must be that mean ol' patriarchy that's to blame

Fuck.

It's shit like this which is the reason why I don't really read any of Marvels stuff at the moment, and I broadly agree with some of the stuff SJW's say. I'm basically the kind of person they're meant to be appealing to and even I think this is dogshit.
>>
>>89179111
I think thats the point, anon
>>
>>89177930

Naw, it's just that they only talk about the top 7 for some reason.
>>
>>89179119
If a specific group make up 16% of the overall population, do they need more than 16% representation in any given work?
>>
>>89177814
>cap sent us to hel, but we are going even deeper
>stark... I'm already a demon
>>
File: the Mayor of MGTown.jpg (132KB, 600x555px) Image search: [Google]
the Mayor of MGTown.jpg
132KB, 600x555px
>>89179119
Marvel's push has never not been on the nose.
>>
>>89179160

You know, people who bring this up can never back it with statistics. Have you, or do you know of anyone, who has made an ACTUAL sample about it?
>>
>>89179119
>>Hurr the test was by men, therefore it must be that mean ol' patriarchy that's to blame
I think it's more that the list was made by SHIELD agents and superheroes who don't really interact with people outside of that world very much. So there are probably also a lot of men out there who belong on the liist but nobody ever tested them.
>>
>>89179175
It doesn't matter, take it as a theoretical situation and give me an answer.

I'm Welsh, almost nothing anywhere in any form of media globally has or even tangentially mentions Wales or Welsh culture.

Should they?

Should they be FORCED to?
>>
>>89179175
What, like population statistics?
Or character background statistics?
>>
>>89179160
They make up 16% of the population, but let's face it, most American media takes place in cities instead of in flyover country. In cities the proportion is a lot higher.
>>
>>89179241
do they need more than 16% representation in any given work?
>>
>>89178462
Wait, why wasn't The Leader himself on that list? Being super-smart is literally his power.
>>
>>89178168
I do admire your dedication for evidence. That said, you are 100% on the money when it comes to describing the intelligence of 1610 Reed, it was stated early on that his intelligence has expanded and become significnatly more "flexible" after gaining the ability to stretch. I actually think it was Sue's Mom that said this to him.
>>
>>89179160
I'm not sure I ever get that triggered about muh population demographics that I'd sperg out and start working out just how much representation certain groups get.
>>
>>89179269
His wasn't directly from cosmic radiation though. He increased the surface area of his brain through stretching, which is what gave him his boost. He took it to the extreme later by turning his head into something that resembled a sweet potato.

I honestly thought I read that the cosmic radiation itself had boosted 616's mind, but I guess that was just me reading fanwank
>>
>>89178542
I'm more than stoked with Blue Marvel being on the list but fuck all the new people. I'm fine with adding some females to the roster, just don't make them insufferable sjw props. Right now they're not even people, just corporate and social agendas with tits. Also where the fuck is Valeria on this list?
>I know she's insufferable in some cases but that's kinda her thing.
>>
>>89179301
Valeria is also off playing God with Franklin and Reed, I think
>>
>>89179075
>When a woman is a super genius she's a super-model who has thousands of friends, an active social life, a pet, a side-job and the universe crystallizes around her to resolve all issues with her slightest input.
Riri Williams is an anti-social loner who hasn't had any friends in years. She's also not "attractive" like other superheroines, though she's still 15, could change.
>>
>>89179297
I remember hearing it to even if it isn't 100 percent stated. It's made its way into my schema for Richards.
>>
>>89179206
First point: Is there anything about Welsh culture that's standout from the broader English culture? I certainly don't know enough about it to say so, but I know that various hispanic and african traditions and myths are pretty different from traditional western sensibilities.It makes good material to mine for story ideas, and can be used to create different viewpoints for characters.

Second: No one should be forced, but people actively fight the change. There was a great big fucking mess on the internet when Star Wars 7 came out because black stormtrooper. What's that noise about?
>>
>>89179206
Cymru am Byth mate, where abouts?

And that's because to the rest of the world Wales is just a part of England. The most prominant characteristic of Welsh culture that others see is the whole "not being English" thing which just makes the Welsh appear to be mad salty about being part of Britain on the whole.

Scotland at least had wars with England and were distinct until far later.
>>
>>89179326
>Is there anything about Welsh culture that's standout from the broader English culture? I certainly don't know enough about it to say so

I'm extremely triggered that you don't know and respect my culture, the fact you don't know about it means we need more welsh representation in schools.

See where this path leads?
>>
>>89179323
>Riri Williams is an anti-social loner who hasn't had any friends in years
How long do you think that is gonna last?
She's already meeting up with Moon Girl, and iirc Nadia Pym later too
>>
>>89178400
I never liked Hank McCoy being on the list, he never seemed as smart as all the other super-geniuses to me.
>>
>>89177932
Its not that far off the mark.
Wakanda will always be the big elephant in the room, and always ignored.
>>
>>89177932
Wakandans are isolationists, so like the girls Nadia is seeking, they were never asked to take the test.
>>
>>89179219

About character backgrounds. I always hear people saying "there are too many X in my media!" but... are there? Confirmation bias is a thing, so there's a real possibility that people are just seeing it because they're looking for it.
>>
>>89179388
And if they took the test and every single person on the list was now a Wakandan, that would fix it?
>>
>>89179359

Well, in that case you're free to round up other welsh people or welsh supporters and demand it, at which point the industry will decide if the political/economical benefits are worth it.
>>
File: CapShark.jpg (78KB, 340x255px) Image search: [Google]
CapShark.jpg
78KB, 340x255px
>>89179359
I'm an American, I don't need to know shit about other countries mate.
>>
File: Pathetic.jpg (86KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
Pathetic.jpg
86KB, 500x307px
>>89179326
Welsh culture is that they aren't English mate.

Seriously, it's laughable.

They have this weird idea that there's this big rivalry between Wales and England due to the rugby. Everyone in Wales watches the game. They even play a bit of this cringy as fuck song on the telly by the stereophonics that goes "so long as we beat the English!"

They tell us we're arrogant, "oh the arrogant English" but what they're really doing is mistaking apathy for arrogance. Most people in England just plain don't give enough of a shit about the rugby.

The rivalry is so one sided it's laughable.

"The arrogant English!" they say even though when England lost to Australia, they put it on their front page.

"The arrogant English!" they say even though in the European championships, every single English person I know cheered on Wales in every game bar the one where they played us. Wanted them to go all the way so at least a homeside wins. The Welsh? Cheering like madmen because haha! the English do the same to us, right?

Nah. Nah we really don't lads.

I lived there for 3 years and I can say in all seriousness, fuck the Welsh.
>>
File: Jango_OP.jpg (260KB, 1024x1450px) Image search: [Google]
Jango_OP.jpg
260KB, 1024x1450px
>>89179326
>There was a great big fucking mess on the internet when Star Wars 7 came out because black stormtrooper. What's that noise about?
That was just internet shittery that got out of hand.

See, originally the Stormtroopers were clones. All Stormtroopers should resemble pic related, or at least be relatively close

Pasty white guys and dark black guys and squinty asian guys and all that shouldn't have been there, this is what started the original complaint. Star Wars nerds did the nerd thing and whined. It's what they're good at.

Then people saw that whining, complaints of racism + actual racists joining in turned it into a shitstorm.

Disney revelled in the free press, then we found out that they ran out of clones and began training normies. Most of the nerds went "oh okay that seems logical" and the racists/people whining about racists kept going.

TL;DR - Innocent lorefags accidentally sparked an argument over race, bringing in actual racists.

>>89179392
Could probably compile a list of Marvel comics and have a look. Might do that later.
>>
>>89179441
>The English don't hate on the welsh
>Fuck the welsh

Cool, good point
>>
>>89178951
Not a lot of women...
>>
>>89177486
I've jacked off to this too many times
>>
>>89179468
Real lorefags would know that Stormtroopers stopped being entirely clones after Order 66.

There's still some about like the 501st, but on the whole they're just people.

What it actually was, was people who aren't lorefags acting as though they were lorefags because they saw the prequels and that must mean all troopers are clones forever and ever amen.

Stormtroopers not being entirely clones wasn't even a Disney thing.
>>
>>89179468
>Could probably compile a list of Marvel comics and have a look. Might do that later.

I would honestly love for someone to it for both DC and Marvel, it would be an interesting read if it were divided into sections like "character currently head a book", "character still in canon but hasn't been used in forever", "legacy character" and so on.
>>
>>89179521
>Real lorefags
probably don't go on twitter and whine
>>
>>89179495
On the whole they don't mate.

I have a slightly stronger opinion than most because I lived there for 3 years
>>
>>89177446
Depends on what the test is. If this is just IQ, then it's probably right. Males have a wider IQ distribution, which means there are more male geniuses and also more mentally disabled males.
>>
>>89179409

> Wakandas now bring up how they're OFICIALLY the smartest people on the planet.
>>
>>89179544
Where's my mentally disabled heroes? It doesn't even matter if it's a woman or man, but we need someone to balance the scales against all those genius level intellects
I want my hero to have trouble reading the cereal box dammit
>>
>>89179659
What about Drax the Destroyer?
>>
File: Hal Jordan Genuis Extraodanaire.png (391KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
Hal Jordan Genuis Extraodanaire.png
391KB, 500x333px
>>89179659
>Who is Hal Jordan?
>>
>>89179659
>I want my hero to have trouble reading the cereal box dammit
Cassandra Cain used to be very dyslexic, could barely read or even speak.
>>
>>89179160
That percentage is completely meaningless unless they are literally showing the entire population at once. The story elements would always take precedence over it, if story takes place inside an Indian reservation it wouldn't make sense of the majority to be non indian.
>>
>>89179708
>>89179712
>>89179773
Fair enough, but we need some additional new ones to mkae up for the latest batch of geniuses
>>
File: Your memes will survive you.png (110KB, 869x813px) Image search: [Google]
Your memes will survive you.png
110KB, 869x813px
>>89179534
Doing a quick one of current Marvel

Suddenly unsure. There's a couple of halfies lately, like Sam/Miles. Not sure where to put them
>>
>>89179789
Yeah, and if a story takes place in a city, there would statiscally be way more blacks than in the rest of the country.
>>
File: Colosso.jpg (39KB, 445x298px) Image search: [Google]
Colosso.jpg
39KB, 445x298px
>>89178329
>Xavier is in no fucking way a super-genius
Top-tier geneticist and engineer. He built a robot to kick the X-Men's shit in and they've only managed to beat it once without his direct or indirect help.
>>
>>89177446
But that sounds about right. There are more males in the extremes of IQ than women.
>>
>>89179371
That's why he's so low, he works with mostly only genetics
>>
>>89177561
I can almost guarantee you that whatshisface who's writing Wasp has no fucking idea who Monica is.
>>
>>89179917
You're thinking of Dark Beast, regular Beast is more like a lesser Reed Richards.
>>
File: CjTqFPmWUAAqZIn.jpg (70KB, 600x223px) Image search: [Google]
CjTqFPmWUAAqZIn.jpg
70KB, 600x223px
>>89179943
Artist doesn't even know what Cyclops' name stands for.
>>
>>89179119
Marvel has only done four minority characters (recently) in a way that makes SJWs happy and makes the old readers want to keep with them in a way that doesn't seem forced:

>Laura/Wolverine
You know who she is. You knew what she was about. And then you got a story that somewhat smoothly transitions her into her new role.

Personally, I would have like to see Daken take up the role (but hey I already got that so whatever).

>Cho/Hulk
The same as Laura. Introduced long before they became who they are now, so you know what they are about and how they connect to the previous person.

>Ms. Marvel/ Robbie Reyes
They're the only two new characters that stand on their own. Both in terms of personality and character development. They're not forced on you to like them, their stories invites you to like them. Nobody is screaming at the top of their lungs TELLING you how awesome they are, their actions are SHOWING you that they are awesome and you should be paying attention to them.

Meanwhile, every other new minority/ re-packaged character (Captain Marvel/ Jane Thor/ Miles/ Riri/ Moon Girl/ Mockingbird) is saying how bad ass they are ,but never really showing or explaining why they are bad ass. Which would naturally lead to people questioning it. And if you question it you're automatically sexist/ racist/ homophobic because they don't have a believable answer for it.

Just look at "Marvel's Wonder Woman" Captain Marvel. This woman's only real accomplishment until recently as a leader was her being a puppet for Tony Stark. Now she's in charge of S.W.O.R.D., The Ultimates (which has two people that should be leading that group), and now I guess at the end of Civil War II: Electric Boogaloo, Co-Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.. But nobody has bothered once to explain HOW/ WHY she is now capable of running all of this shit. She was barely capable lead Stark's Avengers. She's just there, and if you question it you're the bad guy.
>>
>>89178329
Peter is a multi-disciplined scientist. He's an engineer, a chemist, a biologist...

He would likely be, without spider powers, one of the most important people in the world in tech development if he were real. Yes, there are smarter people, but Peter was on Reed's short list of people to contact to assist him at one point.
>>
>>89179301
The OP image is a non-SJW thing, though. They're pointing out that it's unlikely that given that Moon Girl is #1, and the next woman is #27, that the list has covered most people and that they should test more people in different ways, i.e. re-examine the methodology. That's pretty scientific, man.
>>
>>89179424
>round up other welsh people or welsh supporters

Good idea up to that point.
>>
>>89177446
How many times are they going to double down on this?
>>
>>89179959
Dark Beast is all Genetics all the Time. While 616 Hank is more rounded (Even goes into some Humanities stuff like history and literature), his work is chiefly with genetics, namely the X-Gene.
>>
File: 1459035129130.png (153KB, 156x421px) Image search: [Google]
1459035129130.png
153KB, 156x421px
>>89180319
>that pic

How do you fuck up like this
>>
>>89177446
Is this real? But why. I mean is it really hard to believe that Men can be smarter than women when in Marvelverse its usually men who do noteworthy accomplishments in science. I mean what are the stuff Moongirl(?) has done that trumped Reed,Doom,Pym,etc? Plus what happened to Valerie? if they wanted to push GIRLS ARE SMART TOO why not push her?
>>
>>89180503
Mockingbird is this beautiful blend of awful
>>
>>89178542
You forgot the G.I.R.L.S. four black girls who are the smartest ever, wear alternative clothing, have weird haricuts, and one of them is gay! SO PROGRESSIVE!!11!!1!
>>
>>89180341
To be fair, doesn't Carol question her own capabilities, make a lot of fuck ups, and is portrayed as someone who makes a lot of fuck ups?

I still don't like her.
>>
>>89179261
Because The Leader is actually an idiot whose intellect comes from the gamma enhancements. Same with MODOK, more or less. Also because he's presumably not as smart as those 8.
>>
>>89180633
I didn't forget them

Cho never moved from #8, Blue Marvel and Riri are smarter than Cho

Which means of all the GIRLS, including Nadia, there is only a single spot open in the top 8 smart cookies. I gave it to Nadia since she's the leader.

I get your argument but you said I forgot and I took exception to that
>>
>>89179896
Isn't all that shit just Shi'ar tech that Lilandra gave them?
>>
>>89179567
WE WUZ SMAAT
>>
>>89180341
>>Laura/Wolverine
>You know who she is. You knew what she was about. And then you got a story that somewhat smoothly transitions her into her new role.
Honestly, I think giving her the Wolverine mantle was a terrible idea, not because "not muh wolverine" but because she was establishing herself as her own character. she didn't need to be identified as just another snikt bub. She was X-23

>>Cho/Hulk
>The same as Laura. Introduced long before they became who they are now, so you know what they are about and how they connect to the previous person
Same with this guy, if he's so smart why become just the Hulk? Why not do his own thing with the other hero's powers? Somebody told me his name used to be legacy, why not roll with it.

The only thing I can see is that they have no faith inOC characters, and so have to market new ones under another name. I feel like introducing a good chaarcter in a movie would have an equally good effect.

Robbie got knocked off, and MsMarvel got hijacked. Then there's Sam Nova, who is now being mentored by the old Nova and it's great.
>>
>>89179659
What about the entire cast of Watchmen?
>>
>>89180341
I wouldn't really call Moon-Girl a repackaged character when the only thing she has in common with Moon-Boy is being friends with Devil Dinosaur.
>>
>>89180528
Well, the real world answer to that is that for a really long time comics demographics were pretty much boys so they catered to what they wanted.
>>
>>89180692
You're right, she does. She has done so in private and in public.

Which continues to beg the question of HOW/ WHY she's in charge of any of those programs. She is just there to be there.

If the character in question is asking how they are in the position they are in, then you're not putting the best minority in that position that puts them in the best light, you are just filling a quota.
>>
>>89180891
Political clout from her supporters and friends, the best choice for the agenda for the backers of those organizations, a symbolic leader, etc. for in universe reasons and they want to hype up Carol to use her in other media.

I mean, I doubt they actually wrote her with that shit in mind, but you see what I'm getting at.
>>
>>89180834
>Meanwhile, every other new minority/ re-packaged character
>New minority character
>>
>>89179943
>I can almost guarantee you that whatshisface who's writing Wasp has no fucking idea who Monica is.
Monica was literally the villain of the first issue.
>>
>>89178362
It's really gonna suck when they come back. It's hard for me to accept Lunella is smarter than Val.
>>
>>89179943
>>I can almost guarantee you that whatshisface who's writing Wasp has no fucking idea who Monica is.
Which shows you haven't read the issue: fighting Monica is how Wasp(and Ms. Marvel) meet Mockingbird in the book, with Nadia almost fangasming harder than with Bobbi. Monica even manages to get away.
>>
>>89180722
Actually, there is no spot for any of the GIRLs in the Top 8, since the new list is likely:
>Lunella
>Doom
>Brashear
>T'Challa
>McCoy
>Riri
>Nadia
>Cho

Pym, Reed, Stark and Banner get replaced by Nadia, Riri, Moon-Girl and Blue Marvel.
>>
>>89180871
This. People should realize that companies don't exist for the public good, or for the good of its customers. They exist to make money. If that meant rounding people up and shoving hot coal into their anuses, then that is what they would do.
>>
>>89180996
Considering Lunella was rejected from the Future Foundation, the whole Future Foundation returning would shake that up.
>>
>>89181061
The guy you replied to here. You do need a way to explain it in universe without GIRLS SUDDENLY GOT SMARTER because demographics have and are changing. The image we're all responding to in OP's post is an excellent way to do that.
>>
>>89181044
Mate, do read my posts. That's exactly what I said.

>Which means of all the GIRLS, including Nadia, there is only a single spot open in the top 8 smart cookies. I gave it to Nadia since she's the leader.

Nadia is the leader of the GIRLS. There is one spot for the GIRLS, and I gave it to her.
>>
>>89180952
You see this is why I like /co/.

You, with just a simple sentence, put more thought into it than anybody at Marvel. Which now has me wondering "Is just a puppet again if she knows she's not qualified to do what she's doing/ doing as much as she is doing?"
>>
>>89181141
People fuck up all the time in positions of power and keep their job. Hell, an elected official is extremely difficult to remove from office in a lot of circumstances in the USA. Look at that dumb "I WON'T SIGN MARRIAGE CERTIFICATES BECAUSE THAT'S AGAINST MUH BELIEFS" ugly chick in what, Kentucky?

Captain Marvel has a lot more clout behind her than that chick. It would make the organizations she's in charge of look incompetent for nothing else to remove her as quickly as they put her in power.
>>
>>89181108
>You do need a way to explain it in universe
Sure. In terms of that, it could have been written better if the goal was retain the current audience while expanding the audience. The issue with the list isn't so much a women's issue as it is a systemic failure, a failure of the dorks in charge of it, one that affects all 'others' equally.

But I guess reasonable thinking doesn't sell?
>>
>>89181326
>But I guess reasonable thinking doesn't sell?
you are reading SUPERHERO COMIC BOOKS
>>
>>89180746
Pre-Shi'ar, brah.
>>
>>89181326
It's kind of like how in the USA females test behind males significantly in STEM, where in other cultures men and women test much more evenly. Hell, maybe even private schools do better. It's probably systemic in the educational system.

I really don't have a problem at all with the original comic excerpt. She isn't talking about how evil those guys were or that clearly the test is biased against women. Literally she thinks they didn't test enough women and they are going to test more women.

As an aside, the US school system has more problems with boys than it does with girls atm.
>>
>>89180437

well, the other option is for the government/society to make a soft power campaign, but that requires more coordination than officials are usually willing to do.
>>
File: hulksmart.png (627KB, 410x693px) Image search: [Google]
hulksmart.png
627KB, 410x693px
>>89181061
>>89180871
>>89181108
Actually, the issue is that it is historically easier to attract a target demographic rather than appeal to a broader audience. The issue now is they're trying to broaden their market, but their old target demo is upset at the changes to the status quo.
>>
>>89177772
>and in Wasp she's perfectly reasonable and logical.
From a Marvel perspective, which is to say, she's not reasonable or logical from any real world standpoint.
>>
So what should be the definitive Marvel Super-genius ranking? Including missing characters like the FF and "dead" characters like Stark/Banner? Not what it actually is, but what it should be.

For me its:

>Valeria
>Reed
>Doom
>Lunella
>Pym
>Brashear
>Banner
>T'Challa
>Stark
>McCoy
>Riri
>Nadia
>Cho

I think it's a good mix of respect the older characters and inclusion of newer ones. Thoughts?
>>
>>89179301
Fuck Blue Marvel.

I am so sick of all this Super Obama bullshit that both companies are doing.
>>
>>89179119
>I'm actually something of an SJW. More representation of women/other races/homosexuals is a good thing in my book, provided its done well and not just done for representations sake or to score progressive points.
But that's a contradiction.
>>
>>89181990
Sounds good to me, with one exception, Stark should be higher, he's definetly smarter than Banner and probably smarter than Pym.
>>
>>89182180
Tony is definitely not smarter than Pym.
>>
File: 1464304952064.jpg (837KB, 2000x1032px) Image search: [Google]
1464304952064.jpg
837KB, 2000x1032px
>>89181731
That's literally what's happening, Marvel is viewing after the hip young generation because they see them as a viable, bigger and better group than their old fans since all their writers are on Twitter.

Only time will tell if it's the profitable move.
>>
>>89182215
Hank Pym himself has lamented how Tony Stark is smarter than him. Then again, Hank has a huge inferiority complex, so who knows.
>>
We don't need more geniuses. In a world where all the new characters are smarter than the next what's the point of them being smart.

Kamala's smart. Her friends are smart. Miles is smart. Cho is smart, though not as new. Riri and Moongirl are smarter.

What about the dumbasses. The normal kids who struggle at math while trying to keep their telekinesis from flying their homework out the window or something.
>>
>>89183014
B-but anon, nerds are cool! Jocks are baaaad!
>>
>>89177620
She invented a robot dinosaur out of legos, and some shitty goonie type inventions.

It's really stupid that she's apparently the #1 smartest person in the Marvel universe right now.
The only reason she is because Chulk came up to her, gave her a fancy rubix cube to solve, and then he told her she was the smartest.

There's no way in hell she's smarter than Doom.
>>
>>89177446
>Guys the list has to be wrong, despite the fact that as far as we have been shown it is correct!
>Oh woe is our gender, how could it be possible that we are unequaly represented?
I don't see them crying about men being underrepresented in the real world.
>>
>>89183102
That's not even a nerd jock dichotomy. Where's the stone dude that thinks he can fly while on weed and it turns out he can.
>>
>>89177446
Damn this book was way cringier than I remember.
>>
>>89177832
Little known fact Steve had enhanced intelligence, according to one of the panels from his origin.
>>
>>89177446
This is incredibly petty sounding.

In a world of 6 or 7 billion people being pissy that a woman is 'only' the 27th smartest person on the planet? And this is in a setting with people who actually have 'super genius' as a literal power.
>>
>>89183140

well considering Doom is still DOOM in her book and not Iron Man like he is in all the rest, I doubt anyone else really cares how smart she is.
>>
>>89183194
In universities*
>>
>>89183313
"Oh man it sure sucks that the smartest australian abo is only at 6 billionth, there must be one in the top 10!"
>>
>>89183313
It stupid too because that's kinda the way it is in real life. While most women are smarter than the average guy the smartest people are men. The dumbest too but that's not counted.

What's the list of dumbest characters in Marvel?

Absorbing Man? Rhino?
>>
>>89177446
>>89178017
This is the case. Men have a larger standard deviation of intelligence than women. This means that there are somewhat more women than men at 100IQ, but farther out along the bell curve in both directions, it evens out and switches to male over-representation. There are more male idiots and geniuses. The top hundred or whatever people in the world are enough standard deviations out that any women in that group would be unlikely, barring significant mutations.
>>
>>89181731
Yeah, but have you tried explaining that to anyone who funds anything? It's always why buy or develop a new thing when we have a kinda similar thing that could maybe do the job but not as well.

And then you have a divided fanbase as well. A lot of these new more aware writers are shit (see: Bennet) but some are good, and they get pushback from fans who want them to write their characters the way they like, and other things get involved, it becomes a huge clusterfuck. Literally who would want to write for comics with how spergy the fanbase is?

A lot of it is that DC/Marvel invest a lot into specific characters and teams instead of treating the universe itself as the property. This means either you restrict yourself to how people wrote the character or get hated for writing the character your way. Or completely fuck it up.

I would really like to see a comic company let older characters retire or die off and completely replace them instead of Batman going strong for seventy years, but I'm not the majority of comic fans.
>>
>>89182077
Ewing turned him into Doc Savage with Superman powers
>>
>>89177446

didn't Cho find out he was the 7th smartest (or whatever) because of like a soap box contest? Set up by a super villain iirc but still

Mockingbird makes some sense about the interconnectedness
>>
>>89178535
Are there monster girls in the top 10?
>>
What's a "BABY WASP"?

And who decided a teenager was the single smartest person in the world?
>>
>>89183932
>What's a "BABY WASP"?
Hank Pym long lost daughter.
She's like Hank, except a teenage girl!
(yes, that's scary as it sounds)

>>89183932
>And who decided a teenager was the single smartest person in the world?
she resolved a formula Banner left that nobody else managed to resolve.
>>
>>89179119
>I'm actually something of an SJW. More representation of women/other races/homosexuals is a good thing in my book, provided its done well and not just done for representations sake or to score progressive points. In my opinion it gives a broader palate from which to tell stories than just the white male angle, not that there's anything inherently bad with the while male angle mind you.
None of what you describe is a SJW. You describe yourself as a bit more liberal than most. SJWs are FUCKING CULTISTS who protest meaningless shit, often for self promotion and profit. Not saying nigger every four seconds does not make you a SJW.

The most SJW thing you did is using a word you don't know the meaning of.

And yeah, Marvel is fucking trash with how it handles the political messages it wants to deliver. It's just badly written in so many ways, even if you agreed with the concept of it, you could never agree with the poor execution. Comics have always been political, but they weren't always THIS badly written.
>>
>>89179160
Asking an artist (real artist, I mean, not people working for Marvel) to represent based on statistics is retarded. Not to mention then SJWs would use that to limit how many thin people or attractive women you could have in a book. It's such an easily abused and stupid notion. Just let creators put in whatever they want, and let people buy what they want.
>>
>>89183997
>She's like Hank, except a teenage girl!
Well, now I can't wait to see the New Ultron, except a teenage girl!
>>
>>89184141
Going strictly by statistics is retarded, but an artist should ideally draw with reality in mind. So a series taking place in the pacific NW should be filled with whites and Asians, maybe a few blacks and latinos, while the SW should have more blacks and latinos and less asians.
>>
>>89184236
is my Waspy going to be a babymomma?
>>
>>89184237
Not really. There can be any number of situations, real or imagined, that would make setting up some racial quota for storytelling meaningless. Not to mention the mere idea is just handing excuses to people who would gladly censor and diminish art at every opportunity. If a writer goes too far from what people will logically accept, the reader will reject it. Free market solves the problem.
>>
>>89184265
Okay... the idea of a teenage mom to a genocidal robot baby suddenly seems interesting to me.
>>
>>89179392
lol, I'm going ABC programming, and fuck anyone who honestly says that shit.
>>
>>89180815
>Same with this guy, if he's so smart why become just the Hulk? Why not do his own thing with the other hero's powers? Somebody told me his name used to be legacy, why not roll with it.
The tried giving him his own thing, it failed miserably. Making him a Hulk isn't really selling all that well, but its better.
>>
>>89177446
Yeah you know, Mockingbitch ir right about that because how in the worl a fucking black girl is going to be ''most smartest'' and smarter than you know people like Reed or Hank or Bruce who are scientists.
>>
>>89177620
And yet everybody buys Bendis bullshit with ''Riri is the most smartest person in the universe!!!!'' just because she developed her own armour (and yet we don't know how the fuck she did it anyway but doesn't matter, she did it so she is the smartest person in the world).
>>
>>89185165
>Reed
Out of universe, presumed dead.

>Hank
Off-planet, fused with Ultron, presumed dead.

>Bruce
Dead.

Plus Stark is in a coma. That's why the Top 8 has been shuffled.
>>
What the fuck does being the smartest in the Marvel Universe even get you, anyway? All the smart people are assholes and/or always doing something that threatens the world.

It's literally nothing.
>>
>>89185305
Hard to believe a retard like Bendis can write an smart character.
>>
>>89177446
Remember when superheroes us to care about saving people instead of popularity contests? I miss those days.....
>>
>>89178329
Didn't Xavier make cerebro, danger room and a bunch of robots, and shit?
>>
>>89188302
most of his inventions were based off advanced Shi'Ar tech
>>
>>89185305
>And yet everybody buys Bendis bullshit with ''Riri is the most smartest person in the universe!!!!''
You're gonna have to provide evidence for that claim.
>>
>>89179259
>in any given work?
More than 16% in ANY specific given work? Yes, and in some given works, it should also be less than that, to the end that overall representation in media levels out at 16%
>>
>>89183318
Mate thats clearly a Doombot
>>
>>89183382
Cmon mate, be fair. Women are about 50% of the population. Abos make up less than half a million people total.
Thread posts: 222
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.