[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking back, can we now call this brave and courageous that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 12

File: end.png (233KB, 636x357px) Image search: [Google]
end.png
233KB, 636x357px
Looking back, can we now call this brave and courageous that they choose to do this.
>>
File: Kiss.webm (322KB, 450x268px) Image search: [Google]
Kiss.webm
322KB, 450x268px
If they'd kissed, maybe.

Fade to white was a cheap copout
>>
I would've preferred if they left it up to the viewer's interpretation.
>>
>>89160462
no.

It's like saying something that might "shock" or "surprise" people right along the way out the door. I honestly hate these Post-mortem "oh he/she/they're gay" reveals. I feel they're wholeheartedly disingenuous.
>>
>Korra, you're going to lick so much rug you're going to be coughing up hairballs for weeks.

How did Nickelodeon get away with this?
>>
>>89160530
>that one time Spongebob asked Sandy about her clitoris
not the first time, anon
>>
>>89160523
Except this was shoehorned in for the entire last season, not just the ending
>>
>>89160530
By virtue of Asami being someone who shaves and waxes. They all do, seeing as how none of them had arm, leg, or body hair. The same practice can extend to all parts of the body including the privates.
>>
Lesbians aren't brave. They're gaysafe
>>
I don't think it's pandering everytime that lgbt or people of color are included
But man oh man, Korrasami is the perfect example of pandering
>>
>>89160591
>for the entire last season
how so?

where?
>>
>>89160591
>the entire last season
People actually believe this.
>>
>>89160731
Constant blushing and being tsundere
>>
It was shitty pandering to try and save a series that had fallen off so much. It was an accurate representation of the whole series. Just lack of a big picture and story.
>>
>>89160591

If it was shoehorned in to the last season, It probably would have been better to be honest. At least then it wouldn't have come out of left field.
>>
>>89160462
No, there was no development before hand and it was blatantly tacked on. what's worse is that if it got any backlash they could easily cop out and say they were just close friends.it'd be like if they just left a note at the end saying "also korra is gay probably" and it would still have the same effect.
>>
File: 1418761170332.png (114KB, 467x554px) Image search: [Google]
1418761170332.png
114KB, 467x554px
No because they admitted they flip-flopped on the decision several times up until the last episode was nearly out the door (Asami and Korra's VAs were called back to do recordings in October/November) and then they had the gall to write huge essays and how it's not actually their fault if nobody saw it coming.

It's been two years and I've grown to like the ship a little bit, but I'll never 100% be on board with it because of the shitty writing surrounding it and their respective attitudes about the whole thing.
>>
>>89160462
No, because it wasn't
>>
>>89160462
Weak bait, anon
>>
>>89160591
No it was just the ending everything else should be interpreted as friendly interaction since they were just that.
>>
>>89161084
Both are pretty shitty characters.

Korra never learns, and Asami is just plain
>>
>>89160462
No. It was pandering at worst and cowardice at best. It was thrown in at the last minute without any real romantic build up (just positive character interaction to show the two actually WERE friends.) So it was either that Bryke WANTED Korrasami but didn't have the guts to actually write it till close to the end, OR they threw it in as an afterthought to score SJW points. Either way, it was poorly handled and could've been a great romance story but ended up being a footnote in the history of LGBTQ rights.

And this from someone who likes the ship in theory, it was a fuck up in execution.
>>
It was done to give people a reason to keep talking about the show.
>>
>>89161784
Asami's third and fourth seasons were spent being the person who is showing feelings.

Asami's the one that comforts korra throughout the two week time-skip.
We have Asami teaching Korra to drive and clearing the air over Mako.
Asami volunteers her time to go on Korra and Tenzin's quest for her sake.
Asami's shown to be a person Korra goes to when she's upset to let off steam.
Asami's the one shown staring so much at Korra meditating that Mako has to repeat himself to her during their stay in the desert hotel.
Asami's looks devastated far beyond before when she's unable to protect Korra while Korra was meditating.
Asami volunteers to sit watch over Korra while Korra goes back into the spirit world.
Asami is visibly the most distraught when Korra puts forth the idea that she'll turn herself over to Zaheer. And continues that on par with Korra's father when it seems like the poison worked.
Asami is the one taking care of Korra and offering to do anything for her.
Asami is the only one that wants to go to the SWT with Korra.
Asami is the only one Korra opens up to while she's recovering.
Asami is the one that looks most devastated when Korra isn't on the boat back to RC.
Korra not being on the boat effects Asami to the point where she restarts her relationship with her dad, Hiroshi.
>>
>>89162120
And Bryke said they didn't build it until halfway through book 4.

All those you mentioned are well within friendship caring and we have no reason to believe either of them would have romantic feelings for the other. Not to mention that most of those description are heavily biased towards Korrasami being a thing and aren't actually true to what was shown in LoK.

All of Korrasami is "built" on hindsight and forced perspective by the ending and brykes blogposts.
>>
>>89162120
>>89162192
The problem is that all the things listed there speak to a close friendship and specifically are romantic cues. Nothing like the Cave of Two Lovers in ATLA. For me the issue isn't the ship, but solely the execution of the ship in canon. In keeping with nautical terms, I feel like it was christened and launched from the drydock half finished and everyone just applauded because they thought they were supposed to or because everyone else was doing it.

I sincerely hope they don't start the comics with them as a romantic couple so we can actually SEE the friendship develop into a romance.

Again, love the ship, hate the way it was handled in canon.
>>
>>89162372
First page will be them waking up, spooning under a duvet-shaped spirit of sapphic love
>>
>>89162372
>and specifically are romantic cues
*aren't
fucking typos.
>>
>>89160756
>Constant blushing
you mean one blushing. Iroh also blushed in ATLA when one guy said his tea was the best in town.

>being tsundere
explain.
>>
File: 1443225452841.png (43KB, 779x473px) Image search: [Google]
1443225452841.png
43KB, 779x473px
>>89161084
I don't know about the VAs, but i have This.
>>
>>89162446
Wow, what a homophobe
>>
>>89160462
I guess? But it would have made a lot more sense if they got more screentime and development together. As it is the whole thing just seems to come out of no where.
>>
>>89162372
Well i think it was executed like shit, and that it is shit regardless of that. Not because it's a gay pairing but because it doesn't make sense for these two characters given how they acted throughout the show.

And if people want actual gay pairings they should go watch SU og Yuri on Ice.
>>
>>89162120
>Asami's the one that comforts korra throughout the two week time-skip
Tenzin does the same

>We have Asami teaching Korra to drive and clearing the air over Mako
we have Korra helping Tenzin bring back the air nation

>Asami volunteers her time to go on Korra and Tenzin's quest for her sake
Tenzin not only let Korra live in his house, he actually moved his ass to the south to go and see her

>Asami's shown to be a person Korra goes to when she's upset to let off steam
weird how the first person she goes to is Tenzin

>Asami's the one shown staring so much at Korra meditating that Mako has to repeat himself to her during their stay in the desert hotel
Tenzin has been looking Korra meditate since S01. Also.. "looking at people is totally romantic"

>Asami's looks devastated far beyond before when she's unable to protect Korra while Korra was meditating
other characters were also devastated

>Asami volunteers to sit watch over Korra while Korra goes back into the spirit world
Tenzin does the same in S02

I could go on, but i think you get the idea..
>>
I don't usually give two shits about who is gay or whatever.

But for some reason THIS >>89160462

Makes me irrationally angry. I shouldn't care this much.

Why?
>>
>>89162532
>Tenzin not only let Korra live in his house
A house paid by the taxpayers of Republic City. Also being the Avatar ain't a paying job and Korra readily wanted to be out on the mainland.

>Tenzin does the same in S02
That was the whole family there watching both Korra and Jinora.

>other characters were also devastated
Mako looked like he was thinking that he left the lights on in the apartment and that was just going to waste electricity and burn out the bulbs.

>Also.. "looking at people is totally romantic"
When he stare so hard that you block out what people are saying or doing around you tends to mean you are engrossed in the sight.

>I could go on, but i think you get the idea..
Yes, they're bisexual and Korra should have had a kid with Tenzin so the child(ren) would be supreme having been born of the son of an Avatar and the Avatar.
>>
>>89162628
Cause you're a sperg.
>>
>>89162628
>Why?
One word: Hetero-lens

More words; The writers wrote a Hail Mary ending to try and drum up one last piece of drama from an otherwise very mediocre series and when people legitimately asked what had happened Bryke blamed the fans for not seeing it, even though the writing was poor as hell and so fucking ambiguous that almost anyone could have been Korra's love interest, going by the writers logic. They blamed the fans for their mismanaged writing and not themselves.

It's not the gay/bi couple that's bad, it was the writers that were.
>>
>>89162628
Probably because you see what Korra COULD have been with the right writers. Instead we got characters with the personalities of a piece of cardboard and either unresolved plot points or half-assed Deus ex machina.

I'm probably as disappointed as anyone with how the series as a whole turned out.
>>
>>89162628
Don't know about you, but i got emotionally invested in the show, then was told one thing from the show (Korra is straight) watched it saw the ending telling me the complete opposite and then i got blamed for not knowing by the Writers because "hetero-lens". They got me invested and then lied to me and blamed me for their lie.
>>
>>89162789
Who's to blame for the poor writing? The writters, the director, the network execs?
>>
>>89162938
How did Bryke get so far up their asses so quickly?

Or was it always there and Aaron Ehasz was able to pull it back enough during ATLA?
>>
File: 1469682761342.jpg (130KB, 746x880px) Image search: [Google]
1469682761342.jpg
130KB, 746x880px
oh boy another bait thread that gets over 300 replies
>>
>>89162974
No fucking idea, might be the shippers at cons getting to them. Korrasami shippers were very vocal about it and nobody thought Bryke would sell out so they weren't as vocal themselves i guess.
>>
Reminder that "they did this ending to deflect from criticism" is just a dumb conspiracy theory that will never be true.
>>
>>89163013
Which is funny, because in their short "making-of" documentary of ATLA the two of them specifically said "Don't listen to the fans"

Guess enough people stroking their egos reversed that idea.

>>89163036
Well, why does no one talk about how the ending of the book leaves no actual resolution to the plot and instead only talks about the lesbians?
>>
>>89161084
They didn't flip-flop at all. They planned it through the writing of Book 4.

They only did new storyboards for the very ending because they wanted it to be more explicit then the ending was before. It's explained in one of Bryke's blog posts, as well as in the "Art of Legend of Korra: Book 4" hardcover.

Originally, they still walked into the portal with just the two of them, but they didn't hold hands, or turn and face each other. It was more subtle, but the Nick execs told them they could be more explicit, as long as there wasn't any actually kissing, so they changed it to be as obvious as they were allowed.
>>
>>89160462
no, lesbians are the most liked of the faggots
>>
>>89163013
>Korrasami shippers were very vocal about it
The shippers were the only ones sticking with the show, the Makorra shippers that is as that is how Book 1 and 2 went. Any others like /co/ were either there to watch a series die or take notes on how not to write.
>>
File: Aaron Ehatz gives advice.jpg (326KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Aaron Ehatz gives advice.jpg
326KB, 960x1280px
>>89162972
Bryke, at the end of everything. The first season, I believe after episode five, you could start to see cracks forming and the ending was just a fucking mess. It was them, sure the Network/Execs had some sort of hand in this, but the writing was bad and scheduling had nothing to really do with that.

Should have brought in Aaron and a few more other good writers like Volpe, they knew what to do.
>>
>they didnt kiss, thus leaving it up to interpretation
>not only that, but they chose lesbians, the safest option
Wow. So brave. Much courage.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>89163013
We can't know if it was the intention, but it did have that effect. You can't speak badly about the show without someone calling you a homophope or nostalgia fag.

>>89163071
I think peoples general dislike of Makorra and book 2 might have had something to do with it. The show was not going well so they probably sold out to the loud korrasami fanbase. But yeah, to me they lost all integrity they had with that move.
>>
>>89160462
It wasn't brave or courageous, but it was cool. The best ship they could have ended Korra up in after the train wreck of her love life in Books 1 and 2.
>>
>>89163131
>2017
>fucking doge meme
>>
>>89163071
>why does no one talk about how the ending of the book leaves no actual resolution to the plot

It's in the same spirit as Book 1. Korra is now worthy of Mako's time and they kiss as the issue in the United Republic of Nations is way over in the other direction.
>>
>>89163123
Unfortunately, I think Ehasz was busy with GLTAS at the time, so he couldn't contribute.

Not even sure if Bryke would have let him help, anyway.
>>
>>89163123
If your characters are all multi-faceted, compelling and unpredictable, but they aren't likeable, then I don't give two fucks about your character, OR your story, and as an author you should just be taken out back and shot in the head.
>>
>>89163096
Except they did flipflop. their own blogpost said so. They didn't think they could do it for most of book 4 and as such weren't going to go all in according to themselves.

And i've never heard about the last part, wheres that from? I know the ending was changed but not what it was before the change.
>>
>>89163136
Another trainwreck is the best option after a trainwreck?
>>
>>89163177
It's like you didn't read all of the cards.

>These can be o.k. but are often misused
>>
>>89160462
There's absolutely nothing brave or courageous about pandering to current social trends. It's the safest thing to do yet the people within the circles who care like to say it's brave and courageous because they like to pat themselves on the back and circlejerk about what wonderful people they are.
>>
>>89163172
>Not even sure if Bryke would have let him help, anyway.
They brought on writers from before, those who were available. Ehasz was "making magic" for Futurama and Volpe was with Green Lantern: the Animated Series.
>>
>>89163212
It's not a trainwreck if it's progressive, Anon.

It's brave.
>>
>>89163237
Even if that was true (it's not) it would still be a trainwreck.
>>
>>89163177
I'd rather read a story about a dimensional and compelling character that has a believable storyline character than one that was purely made for me to like.
>>
The real problem is that they shouldn't have had little tiny story arcs in a 12 episode format.

Nick had nothing to do with that fuckup.
>>
File: DISGUSTING.jpg (78KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
DISGUSTING.jpg
78KB, 600x450px
>>89160462

There's nothing "Brave" about displaying this kind of mutant sickness on tv. Could have had a nice normal strong girl for once. Instead she's a loser AND a freak.
>>
>>89163192
Nope, they didn't flipflop. Their own blogpost says so.

Here's the relevant bit:

>However, I think there needs to be a counterpart to Miyazaki’s sentiment: Just because two characters of the same sex appear in the same story, it should not preclude the possibility of a romance between them. No, not everyone is queer, but the other side of that coin is that not everyone is straight. The more Korra and Asami’s relationship progressed, the more the idea of a romance between them organically blossomed for us. However, we still operated under this notion, another “unwritten rule,” that we would not be allowed to depict that in our show. So we alluded to it throughout the second half of the series, working in the idea that their trajectory could be heading towards a romance.

>But as we got close to finishing the finale, the thought struck me: How do I know we can’t openly depict that? No one ever explicitly said so. It was just another assumption based on a paradigm that marginalizes non-heterosexual people. If we want to see that paradigm evolve, we need to take a stand against it. And I didn’t want to look back in 20 years and think, “Man, we could have fought harder for that.” Mike and I talked it over and decided it was important to be unambiguous about the intended relationship.

>We approached the network and while they were supportive there was a limit to how far we could go with it, as just about every article I read accurately deduced. It was originally written in the script over a year ago that Korra and Asami held hands as they walked into the spirit portal. We went back and forth on it in the storyboards, but later in the retake process I staged a revision where they turned towards each other, clasping both hands in a reverential manner, in a direct reference to Varrick and Zhu Li’s nuptial pose from a few minutes prior. We asked Jeremy Zuckerman to make the music tender and romantic, and he fulfilled the assignment with a sublime score.
>>
Remember when Jinora turned into some sort of being of pure light at the end of season two and helped Korra defeat KaijuEvilUncle?

I'll be honest, what the hell happened and did they even explain what happened?
>>
>>89163320
>>But as we got close to finishing the finale, the thought struck me: How do I know we can’t openly depict that?
Says right there that they weren't sure they could do it. And they also said they thought about it since book 3. How is that not flipfloping if you're putting in "hints" since book 3, but won't do it because it can't be done, then does it anyway because why not?
>>
Nah, lesbians are GayLite. Especially when written by two guys it's a low fruit.
Now if they maybe had Bolin marry Eska and Desna, dealing with issue of polygamy and implicit homosexuality maybe that would have been brave, certainly would have been progressive.
>>
File: 1299651142428.png (3KB, 184x172px) Image search: [Google]
1299651142428.png
3KB, 184x172px
Man, Korra was just so trash compared to last airbender
>>
>>89163343
>I'll be honest, what the hell happened and did they even explain what happened?
They said it is up to interpretation; and they never apologized for never having Korra win by her own merit on her own.
>>
>>89163320
>>89163352
Also holy fuck i forgot how Brian butchered that quote, showing he has no understanding of what it meant.
>>
>>89163343
Same as Aang turning into gaint fish monster.
>>
A little bit, yeah. They could have, and maybe should have, been a lot more brave and courageous by putting the reveil anywhere but the very last scene, but in today's political climate, where states are fighting tooth and nail against federal orders that they recognize gay marriage? It was kind of brave for a major kids show to have a gay main character without any room for interpretation/need for author clarification.
>>
>>89163352

These are your words:

>No because they admitted they flip-flopped on the decision several times up until the last episode was nearly out the door

When you say "the decision" you obviously mean "Korra and Asami are meant to be falling in love with each other."

But the only 'decision" that was made at the last second was the DEGREE to which the confirmation was explicit.

See here:

>So we alluded to it throughout the second half of the series, working in the idea that their trajectory could be heading towards a romance.

So, both in Books 3 and 4 they intend to allude to romance. No flip-flopping on the gay.

>It was originally written in the script over a year ago that Korra and Asami held hands as they walked into the spirit portal.

Before they changed the script, it was still supposed to be gay. Just less obviously gay.

So, they didn't flip-flop on Korra and Asami being lesbians. They only flip-flopped on hand holding vs staring into each others eyes.
>>
>>89163422
It makes sense for the Avatar to do Avatar/spirity things.

What's so special about Jinora?
>>
>641 replies and 113 images omitted. Click here to view.
>>
>>89163422
How?
>>
>>89163387
>never having Korra win by her own merit on her own.

>Korra Crying on the edge of a cliff after losing her bending
>You think that maybe she would start her own journey to learn what it truly means to be an Avatar
>Spirit Aang just shows up and gives back the rest of her powers
>Just like that
Damn, that didn't anger me so much as fill me with great disappointment.
>>
>>89163422
Hardly.

>Aang, is the avatar. Built up as the ultimate bender and connection between humans and spirits. Merges with a a spirit in order to achieve incredibly bending power and surround himself with water to imitate the spirits form
>Jinora, normal human. turns into magic light spirit because lol iunno gotta wrap this plot up somehow
>>
>>89163470
Exactly
>>
>>89163483
And then there were actually people defending that.

They blamed it on Nick only giving them 12 episodes.

Totally unlike when ATLA was made and Nick only guaranteed them 12 episodes or something.
>>
>>89163453
She got tagged with a piece of the Avatar spirit.
>>
>>89163177
You don't have to like every character for a story to be good. As long as their fascinating and believable, it can be just as fun to dislike them. Especially if they're a villain or anti-hero, or end up the loser of a romantic love triangle.
>>
>>89163453
Jinora was born very susceptible to influence of the spirit world, meaning she was an easy vessel for a small bit of Raava that was left inside that statue of Wan in the temple, and she was the only one that was able to hear its call.
>>
>Korra premiered almost 5 (five) years ago.
>>
>>89163422
He was an actual Avatar and he was in an extremely spiritual place where the two personifications of the Moon Spirit lived, where one of them was killed and it's other half wanted revenge and used the Avatar as a conduit for itself to enact said revenge.

That's not the same as Jinora getting an odd power boost that not even the writers could come up with answers for.
>>
>>89163590
And they are still salty.
>>
>>89163590
>Last Airbender premiered almost 12 years ago
>>
>>89163618
There are Zutara shippers that are still upset to this day.

At least the Korra ending had something legitimate to bitch about.
>>
>>89160462
It's only brace and courageous if they don't know how their audience is going to react.
By season 4 they knew exactly who was still around
>>
>>89163585
And yet even with a chunk of the tapeworm she couldn't just fix Korra's connection to the past live.
Speaking of which, utter bullshit how having the little parasite get slapped around a few times went and erased all the connections to the past avatar spirits.
Fucking magic tapeworms, man.
>>
>>89163650
Eh "Korra didn't develop like Aang." Not much there.
>>
>>89162694
>A house paid by the taxpayers of Republic City
[citation needed]

>Also being the Avatar ain't a paying job and Korra readily wanted to be out on the mainland
your point is?

>That was the whole family there watching both Korra and Jinora
your point is? this just means he loves both of them, according to you.

>Mako looked like he was thinking that he left the lights on in the apartment and that was just going to waste electricity and burn out the bulbs
1. Mako is not 'other characters'
2. you're taking into acount one particular frame of animation instead of his overall reaction

>When he stare so hard that you block out what people are saying or doing around you tends to mean you are engrossed in the sight
So people fall in love with books?

And since it seems that you haven't given up on your autism, let me continue:

>Asami is visibly the most distraught when Korra puts forth the idea that she'll turn herself over to Zaheer
everyone was, unless you're implying her goddamn father was okay with it.

>Asami is the one taking care of Korra and offering to do anything for her
Only if you forget that she was in Tenzin's house. And again, Tenzin actually moved his ass to the south to see her, while Asami didn't do shit in 3 years.

>Asami is the only one that wants to go to the SWT with Korra
First of, just because she is the one that offered, this doesn't mean she is the only one. Second, Korra already had people that accepted to stay with her; are you forgetting her family and Katara? and again, Tenzin.

>Asami is the only one Korra opens up to while she's recovering
"who is Katara"

>Asami is the one that looks most devastated
are you just going to use subjective things like "i think she looks more devastated"?

>Korra not being on the boat effects Asami to the point where she restarts her relationship with her dad
[citation needed]
>>
>>89163720
More like "Korra didn't actually resolve the problem the season revolved around and instead went on a lesbian vacation in the spirit world"
>>
I wonder why Bryke even bothered to called Korra and Asami bisexual.
>>
>>89163427
That first quote wasnt me. But it doesn't make it less true, they were gonna do it, then wasn't, then was again, then wasn't then asked Nick and did it. That is flipflopping on wether to do it or not.

>No flip-flopping on the gay.
They intended on it, but were also not going to do it.

>Before they changed the script, it was still supposed to be gay. Just less obviously gay.
It wasn't obvious to the VAs or one storyboard artist, so it wasn't obviously gay before the ending. Meaning they did flip flop on it before deciding on it in the end.

Assuming they ever intended it before the ending.
>>
>>89160617
This.
>>
>>89163854
Because then the time wasted with Mako would be seen as them being turned off by men and turning strictly to women.
>>
>>89163123
Those may be the worst character writing notes I've ever seen.
>>
>>89163854
Because if they went full gay then they would have limited themselves or something. These two can't write good relationships at all, ANY relationships. What makes you think they can write a gay one.

Unrelated note here, did anyone else remember how everyone apparently had daddy issues, even Aang's kids? Seriously, every major villain had a daddy/parental issue. Except for the Red Lotus, but we didn't really know anything about them at all and their past.
>>
>>89163942
>did anyone else remember how everyone apparently had daddy issues, even Aang's kids?

It's a running theme from AtLA.
>>
>>89163942
Didn't Michael have a thing about his father not respecting what he did?

That's probably where it came from.
>>
File: 1484227319437.jpg (569KB, 915x958px) Image search: [Google]
1484227319437.jpg
569KB, 915x958px
>Make an awful series that people grew to not care about
>Ends up being dumped by nick to just being online
>Try to salvage it last minute by appealing to idiots with a hand holding ending of lesbians
>Idiots fall for the bait

It amazes me to this day that it worked.
>>
>>89162120

Have you never had friends before?
>>
>>89163877

You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>89163959
Katara shits all over Sokka.
>>
>>89163999
They had a friendship, with Asami being more overt. And now they want to take that a step toward the romantic.

Like how Aang had friendly interactions with Katara and then they eventually took things towards romance with the ending to Airbender.
>>
>>89164055

That was built up and was the obvious endgame. Asami and Korra was an asspull ending and those "signs" could be used to justify her getting with nearly anyone who paid attention to her.
>>
>>89164027
>Katara shits all over Sokka.
And has a beef with her father.
Zuko's got Ozai.
Azula's got Ozai.
Toph has her parents doing their thing.
Ozai plots against his father.

Then they do it all over again with LoK.
>>
>>89160462
Brave and Courageous about what? Being lesbians isnt exactly a burnallthewitchesandheretics kind of thing anymore.
>>
>>89164085
The only ones who paid attention to Asami were Korra, Mako, and Bolin.

Asami is the one who exists for shipping.
>>
>>89164055
Anon, you're forgetting that Aang had plenty of romantic buildup to start something with Katara; he actually asks people what he should do to win her heart.

That is necessary for any romance. It doesn't start from simple friendship; at least not in a way that you can show your audience. Even with Korra and Mako we had Korra actually asking people what she should do. If the romance starts without it, it was out of nowhere and generally shit writing.
>>
>>89162532
Tenzin is an old man, and not a hot young girl though.
>>
>>89164170
It was shit, I'm not saying it wasn't. Sorry, I should have started my post with saying it was shit.

I repeat, it was shit.

Now that that's out of the way, I wonder how they would have done it to be friendly to the Y7 censors? Can't have Korra ask about romance, nor can you have Asami.
If Asami actually went to see Korra, would that have been something? If Korra actually took what Asami said to heart instead of not, would that have some substance?
>>
>>89160462
They really fucked up on the order of villains.
>>
>>89160462
It was really more of a "fuck you Nickolodeon" thing. Personally I have no problem with them being a couple, but it wasn't foreshadowed enough at all. Hell, Korra in general had a lot of problem with consistent arcs, probably because the show was haphazardly put together season by season. There was no plan to any of it.
>>
>>89164206
Love is blind

>>89164284
>how they would have done it to be friendly to the Y7 censors
no idea. Honestly, if you can't do it right, don't do it. But it seems Bryke doesn't really care. It wasn't done with the intention to be good, just be remarkable.
>>
>>89160462
The only thing "brave and courageous" was how they managed to get more than two seasons for this garbage show.
>>
>>89164155
And ending up captain of the big boat.
>>
>>89164364
Nick is run by idiots.
>>
File: 1476474141184.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1476474141184.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>89160462
>can we now call this brave and courageous that they choose to do this
Yeah, you have to be pretty brave and courageous to write something as bad as LoK.
>>
All these haters and wasn't Bryke harassed to hell and back by fans of ATLA to do a sequel he didn't want to do? Fucking assholes.
>>
>>89164846
They didn't do a sequel. They did a soft repeat of what happened in ATLA with the opposite of Aang who loses as much as Aang wins.
>>
>>89160462
It would have been more brave to make Mako or Bolin gay instead.
>>
>>89164925
With each other?
>>
>>89160462
Fuck off. Bryke originally had Mako and Korra being together in the end of season 1, at a time where they only thought they would get one season. Their end game for LoK was Mako and Korra, not Korra and Asami. That pairing was literally a last season change, and if Nick decided not to renew season 1, which was supposed to be the only season, Mako and Korra would have been the only canon ship.
>>
>>89164957
Mentioned already but they coulda easily done it with Bolin and got him into a 3 way situation with Desna.

Instead of fucking Opal.
God I hate her. What an utter waif of a character.
>>
>>89165020
There were too many characters and too many relationships. They should have either focused on Aang's children or had an entirely new avatar adventure instead of trying to give equal time to everyone.
>>
>>89165020
Uh huh. Cause they would totally have a bisexual polyamorous relationship on a kids show. Hell even most adult shows wouldn't do that.
>>
>>89165137
It would actually be brave and progressive though.
>>
no but i'll call it hot and say it makes me really really wish i had a girlfriend
>>
>>89165150
Yeah but actually being brave and progressive is hard because you might face real backlash.

It's much easier to cash in on current social trends that everybody approves of, but still like to call brave and progressive to make themselves feel good despite not actually doing anything impressive.
>>
>>89165116
What was the point of bringing in Mako and Bolin's family? What did they contribute to the show? At least Kai actually helped out a few times, and had some potential as a character.
>>
>>89165312
I don't think the family was bad, it did give a little bit of emotional closure on Mako and Bolin while in BaSingSe, a nice bit of a reminder of where they came from.
But like everything else in the show, squandered.
>>
>>89165312
>What was the point of bringing in Mako and Bolin's family?
They needed a reason for them to continue to be in the show when they should have already been out since the midpoint of season 1, so they had them suddenly remember that they had family.
>>
>>89160462
No, it's a start but just implying it at literally the last second of the series isn't brave since they had literally nothing to lose at that point and a casual viewer likely wouldn't even notice. Besides, CN already has multiple obvious gay couples being openly affectionate in ongoing series, so anyone really pissed off by that stuff should've bailed by now anyway.

Still fucking miles better then Disney though.
>>
>>89165745
Disney won't let it happen and is likely one of the reasons Girl Meets World is ending.
>>
>>89165745
>CN already has multiple obvious gay couples being openly affectionate in ongoing series

Not really. And Steven Universe doesn't count because "gems have no gender".
>>
>>89165137
Bisexual polyamorous incestuous relationship
>>
>>89162120
Did /u/ write this because literally most of the shit you described, almost all of other Korra's friends and loved ones did for her too. The problem wasn't that Asami wasn't Korra's friend, the problem was she never did anything that elevated her beyond that station, that made a casual viewer think there could be something else there.
>>
Well hop a job bob obviously they're dykes.
They're obviously going to scissor each other sore
>>
>>89166061
It's fine, Desna sleeps in the tub.
>>
>>89167691
Physical shows of affection like how Katara kissing Aang or contemplating if she loved him, how Mai and Zuko could cuddle and brood together, how Sokka could kiss Suki, those would be what would elevate beyond that station.

Bryke should have asked Nick if they could do that, but they didn't. The only one of Korra's group that did for her was Mako. It would also be in the context of who they are to Korra. Tenzin is her mentor and his father reincarnated. Katara is the resident healer and wife to the past Avatar. Her parents are her parents.
That leaves her friends of which the big three are her ex-boyfriend, the guy who would have loved her but is content with being friends and now has a girlfriend as his reward, and her other friend who is a girl.
>>
>>89160462
>tfw no asami being extra close and touchy feely with korra
>tfw no korra questioning her sexuality
>tfw no awkward and cute budding romance

All we got was a last second middle finger to Nickelodeon. That's all it really was.
>>
>>89163990
>that pic

Rum raisin obviously
>>
>>89160462
Nah.
>>
>>89163177
What about those cards said anything about great characters being unpredictable?
>>
File: 1466242114566.jpg (297KB, 1280x1221px) Image search: [Google]
1466242114566.jpg
297KB, 1280x1221px
>>89160462
Nothing brave or courageous about lesbians, even ones they pulled out of their ass at the end.

Pic related is brave and courageous if they're up to the dare.
>>
>>89163422
At least Aang's thing made sense. He was basically water bending in the Avatar state to create the form around him and channeling a fairly powerful spirit's fury. With Korra, the whole giant light avatar bullshit popped out of nowhere.
>>
File: korra beach.png (998KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
korra beach.png
998KB, 1600x900px
>>89160462
>>
>>89163123
I think the network had at least some minor hand in the show going to shit. Korra was originally supposed to just be a single season but Nick saw it was popular and began ordering for more. Once the ratings started to drop, they basically shoved it into a corner. That still doesn't excuse the second half of season 1 being lackluster but it's possible that if the creators had known they had more episodes to work with they may have been able to plot out a more coherent and overarching story like with AtLA.
>>
>>89163422
>the Avatar is the bridge between the physical and spiritual realms
>the Avatar State lets the Avatar use the wisdom and skills of his past lives all at once
>spirits shown in AtLA can become vengeful and defensive of their territory
>the physical incarnation of the ocean spirit, one of the progenitors of waterbending, joins with the bridge between physical and spiritual in a vengeful state
Koizilla makes sense given what we have and its point is not "it helped them beat Satan." It drove the Fire Nation out of the North Pole. An ordinary Avatar State could've done that but it wouldn't have the same effect of the embodiment of the ocean wrecking your shit for killing its sibling. Meanwhile, Jinora...does something and as a result Satan is destroyed.
Thread posts: 155
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.