[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did /co/ think of the 2012 Guardians Of The Galaxy movie?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 5

What did /co/ think of the 2012 Guardians Of The Galaxy movie?

Just rewatched it, and it's easily my favourite Marvel movie. The entire thing felt like a DnD game to me, and I found the setting to be interesting and most of the main five characters to be also interesting. The humour was actually pretty good at times, and it did get a chuckle out of me here and there. Would recommend.
>>
Dance
Off
Bro
>>
>>89153270

eh - it's over-rated, but I understand why it's popular. Just like Sharktales and the Shrek films, no one is really going to even remember it very much even as recent as a decade from now.

No one will be asking to remake it, ala Jurassic Park in 20/25 years.
>>
>>89153342
>Just like Sharktales and the Shrek films, no one is really going to even remember it very much even as recent as a decade from now.
As long as you aren't including the first Shrek film, I agree.
>>
It was alright,good time waster to have as background noise but outside of the soundtrack I can find my self that interested in rewatching it.The characters are alright even if I dislike some elements of it(Ronan ;_;) plus Gamora feels miscast.A 4/10 movie for me
>>
>>89153270
It's good, but it has basically no rewatch value.
>>
>>89153342
Don't know about Sharktales, but I'm not forgetting Shrek 1 and 2 in a hurry.
>>
I liked it at the time but it stole so much from the Fifth Element that it just made me want to rewatch that film again.

And it's hilarious going back and finally watching Farscape for the first time and seeing how much DNA must have taken from that show.
>>
>>89153443
Farscape is love, Farscape is life.
>>
>>89153459

I'm about halfway through S2 and it's some good shit.
>>
Its a meme kids movie
>>
Here is how it went

>movie is announced
>discover ths team exists
>start reading the whole of Cosmic Marvel from that period
>love it to bits
>hype AS FUCK for the movie
>see the movie
>love it but nothing to really write home about, lots of stuff was changed to the point where it's not really the same
>comic Guardians have a new series
>it's pointless decompressed story telling filled with bad characterization, movie references out the wazoo and over exposure and meddling with earth stuff

Guardians has become the IP I mention first whenever I talk about a comic being the victim of its own success.
>>
>>89153619
>love it but nothing to really write home about
Wait, how can you love it then?
>>
>>89153629
I judged it on its own merits basically.

I mean, I could get mad at all the stuff they changed from the comic (and GOD there's a lot to say on that front), but the movie was entertaining, amusing, ok to well written and had nice visuals. Basically, if I had watched it without knowing anything I would have liked it anyway, so I try to judge movies based on themselves.

Same reason I kinda liked Iron man 3 and was okay with the Mandarin twist even though they screwed my homeboy over.
>>
>>89153270
It came out in summer of 2014 anon...
>>
>>89153459
Nothing but truth.
>>
>>89153701
Bernstein timeline
>>
>>89153270
It's seriously horrible. Tries too hard to be funny(and mostly fails), awful action, terrible acting.
>>
>>89153270
I avoided it for some time, then finally decided to watch it and I loved it. It's not a 10/10, but definitely a very good action movie. Especially that I love space settings.
>>
>>89153727
How does it try too hard to be funny? It feels a lot more natural than the humor in Avengers 2.
>>
>>89153744
>It feels a lot more natural than the humor in Avengers 2
That's seriously not saying much.
>>
>>89153270
I enjoyed it. Group of assholes saving the world because they don't wanna die and/or hate the evil asshole(s) is one of my favorite plots. It's why I like the Borderlands games.
>>
>>89153270
It's entertaining and I like it but I can see why some people wouldn't.
On the plus side it looks pretty damn good, has some decent humor, Chris Pratt is charismatic and the soundtrack is comfy as fuck.
On the minus side the plot and characterization are pretty thin and the action is subpar.
>>
>>89153443
I'm not really seeing what they took from the 5th Element. Care to elaborate ?
>>
I liked it. It's a fun summer movie, that's all.
>>
>>89153800
the action is especially disappointing when you think about Gamora and Drax.

>was hoping for a badass serious slasher Drax, and a high libido'd killing machine Gamora
>instead get a retard who laughs when he fights with WWE poses, and a no fun allowed stick in the butt Gamora who cries when inmates threaten her

That plus the fight scenes looked over cut and boring. Damn that PG 13. Rogue One managed ot have decent looking fight scenes with that chinese guy I forget the name of.
>>
I think it's mostly a great movie, but every time I watch it I'm sort of struck by how little I care about any of the characters. They're certainly amusing and they do cool stuff, but I'm not invested in them at all. The movie could have ended with Ronan killing all the Guardians and everybody else on Xandar and I probably would have liked it about the same.

It succeeds in pretty much every other way though, I just feel a bit detached from what I'm seeing, if that makes sense.
>>
>>89153840

The pew pew laser stuff was alright, but the hand-to-hand combat looked like absolute floaty garbage.

And I know it's not Saldana's fault, because if there's one thing to pull from that piece of shit Columbiana it's that she can handle being an action lead. But you sure as shit can't tell from Guardians.
>>
>>89153859
Maybe the sequel will change that.
>>
>>89153840
It helps when the actor actually has a martial arts/stunt background, you don't have to cut around the moments where they're obviously not hitting and/or you can see the stuntman's face, which is why so many Hollywood movies have shit fight scenes. Hong Kong action is superior in every way.
But even by Hollywood standards the fights in GotG felt weightless and shitty, especially Gamora.
And no raslin doesn't count.
>>
>>89153868
>The pew pew laser stuff
I want a movie or comic called that.

>And I know it's not Saldana's fault,
Yeah, figured as much. You can tell she's basically asked to play the generic "strong female character" which has mostly two cliches :

>preppy girl who's good at everything, close to no personality but nice and juste there
>annoying serious no fun allowed bitch surrounded by idiotic boys
>>
>>89153840
That chinese guy is the best martial arts actor int he world right now, he's fantastic and not only that but does fight choreography for other films too such as Blade 2. Basically, Rogue One lucked out on Donnie Yen. Still doesn't excuse GoTG for having those saturday morning cartoon tier fight scenes, the one where the four brawl out before they're captured is legit embarrassing and is obviously made to look non interesting, it's like a big fat joke "hehe, look at them viewer, they're not REEAALLY trying hehe".
>>
>>89153880
It will be mostly like the 1st one, you can't really properly have 5+ character arcs in a relatively short movie.
We know the main one will be Quill's daddy issues, and there seems to be a romantic subplot, so probably some development for Gamora too.
>>
File: 1429938844729.jpg (27KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1429938844729.jpg
27KB, 500x500px
Plenty of people loved it, and here in /co/ people loved it too, until memesters and /tv/ shitposters started to claim it was, and I quote "something that only reddit trash loves" and tried to trash it in, then some hack writers decided to SYNERGY with the comics, and all hell went loose on the movie (when anons here should have blamed the hack writers).

Of course, the movie has some flaws, especially with the hand on hand combat, Gamora not being actually useful and deadly enough for being supposed to be Thanos's favorite daughter (or whatever that nickname is), but the humor, story, music and everything else worked great.

Now, let's just hope that for the upcoming sequel(s), we get at least Adam Warlock, any -Vell or Cosmo.
>>
>>89153971
Pls no Phyla. She's space lesbian Cable with less charisma and more whining. Easily the worst part of DnA was her arc trying to rescue Moodragon from limbo or whatever that shit was, imo.
>>
>>89154024
Not that it matters really. Gunn is gonna write her as a totally different person.

Which is why I'm not hype for any character to show up anymore.
>>
>>89153954
>Basically, Rogue One lucked out on Donnie Yen.
It feels like they created the character because they knew they had him, not the other way around.
>>
>>89154040

You could have cut out Donnie Yen and his husbando pretty easily all things considered. They didn't do a lot for the overall narrative.
>>
>>89154034
Eh, I don't feel like characterization was really the strong point of the DnA run anyway, they all felt pretty generic save Rick Flag.
>>
>>89154056
Maybe. It's been a while since I read it.

Point is, I don't see the point of being hype for a character who was, say, a hot dog salesman, if the movie is gonna have him be a gymnast.

If you catch my meaning.
>>
>>89153270

>Watch movie
>Start getting into cosmic Marvel and so on
>Annihilation is the shit
>Annihilation Conquest eh, but Ultron reveal was cool
>Age of Ultron comes out
>Ultron dies at the end

Now I'm disappointed he didn't escape to the cosmos so he could tangle with the GotG
>>
>>89153270
I love it too, it's easily my favorite Marvel movie and I've rewatched it more times than I care to admit, trawling it for Easter eggs and subtleties and the like. A lot of people say it has no rewatch value but I couldn't disagree more, I think you pick up so much more about the characters, plot and themes when you've already seen it at least once. But I expected as much seein as I'm a huge cosmicfag. If the MCU was killed tomorrow the only thing I would really mourn the loss of is more cosmic.

A lot of people think it departs too much from the comics but A) I don't think the movies are supposed toe be straight adaptations, that's boring, and B) none of the other movies are particularly faithful anyway. They all pick, choose, and modify, sometimes to extremes.

The important thing for me is that the DNA (kek) of the comics courses through them, and I see it everywhere in GOTG. Gunn is clearly a big fan of cosmic Marvel so I don't mind him playing with the toys in a slightly different way.
>>
>>89153270
Memes
>>
File: gotg.jpg (77KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
gotg.jpg
77KB, 900x506px
>>89153270
>and most of the main five characters to be also interesting
I wouldn't say "interesting" so much as entertaining.
As far as the movie goes, only Peter and Gamora seemed to get any backstory out so Rocket and Drax wound up really shallow as all hell by the end.
Seriously, Rocket got a quick drunken sob story and I can't even remember anything about Drax other than he killed a shitload of people.
Regardless, I'd pay to watch those characters shoot the shit for an hour in a heartbeat because they work off each other so damn well that even when they're just having normal conversations they're fun to watch. imo
>>
>>89153294
I know it's a normie tier joke but I still laugh like an idiot whenever that scene comes on, primarily because of Ronan's completely deflated and confused "What are you doing?", especially since it's the only time he speaks like a normal person.
>>
>>89154302
They could say that he uploaded himself to a satellite or something as a contingency. Seems like the kind of thing Ultron would do.
>>
>>89153270
I enjoyed the movie but I hated Gamora. Absolutely terrible line delivery.
>>
>>89153270
>it's easily my favourite Marvel movi

Not mine, because of the way it parodied every last character in it.
>>
>>89153270
Doesn't hold up. Rocket is the least funny character in the movie who tries to be funny
>>
It was the perfect movie for 14 year old boys.

I didn't like it. The pacing was shit and DANCE OFF BRO.
>>
>>89153270
>2012 Guardians Of The Galaxy movie
You mean the avengers?
>>
>>89155767
I love the animation of and voice acting of Rocket in the film, even if he isn't funny.
>>
>>89155785
Seriously, what is wrong with the dance-off line? The point is the distraction because Ronan is repeatedly portrayed as being so powerful that you can't really win against him head-on. So why is relating the desperate last minute bad plan (Quill's specialty) to Quill's character and arc with the dancing and the music/soundtrack such a bad thing? Like, what other kind of solution would have been palatable? I just don't get the bother about it.
>>
>>89153270
Good, fun movie, pretty bad adaptation. Kinda sad the comics went all synnergy at points, even bendis aside.
>>
>>89153270
Great movie.
Always enjoyed James Gunn, amd thpught he did a good job on this.

Was slightly dissapointed that he didn't use the comicbook helm for Starlord.
And because the movie got so popular that the comic copied it that the comics became shit. But that's not Gunn's fault.
>>
>>89153342
Shrek is forgotten?
>>
/tv/ and Bendis have shit on it so much.
>>
>>89155709
I just love the complete loss of his murder boner. He was so serious and dramatic and his act of righteous accusing is taken from him.
>>
>>89156454
it's not a bad adaptation it's just got more of a "throw everything into the blender" approach than probably any other MCU movie (I think this is likely in part due to just how much stuff from annihilation and GOTG is tied up in the x-men and fantastic four rights)

but the amount of references to cosmic material beyond abnett and lanning's GOTG is staggering and gunn did a pretty good job forming a more streamlined origin around them
>>
>>89156141
Its just a /tv/ shitpost.
>>
>>89156141
>Seriously, what is wrong with the dance-off line?
It's out of place, completely retarded and is only included to pander to Reddit "LOL DANCE OFF SO RANDUM XD" casual scum. Anyone who unironically enjoys that scene should remove themselves from the gene pool.
>>
>>89156596
I just explained how it's not retarded, random, or out of place at all. Insults and shitposting are not a substitute for an argument.
>>
its solid entertainment in a dumb Roger Corman style

the charm of the main cast manages to cover the fact that the plot was dumb and the bad guy was awful.

I feel like the the prison escape was kinda overblown and took up too much of the film. and they kinda repeated the same jokes (aliens are autistic)
but still i'd give it a B.

I was excited to see the sequel...except that trailer was fucking awful. (though i suspect the entire trailer was made from the first 10 minutes of the film edited together)
>>
>>89156596
>Reddit "LOL DANCE OFF SO RANDUM XD" casual scum
>>
File: Ronan's mooks.png (547KB, 860x360px) Image search: [Google]
Ronan's mooks.png
547KB, 860x360px
A little heavy on the humor but it was entertaining. Good clean fun, did a good job of being a space movie and not a superhero movie.

But I hated the villains. Mainly because what the fuck are these? Did they even have a name? How generic of minions are these guys?
>>
>>89157247
They began development as the Badoon but when Marvel realized they didn't have the rights they settled for the insectoid Sakaarans. They don't really look like the Sakaarans outside of their faces though and you only get a brief look at one, the rest of em wear masks.
>>
Why did Peter just Rape shit?
>>
>>89155709
>>89156561
YES!! The scene is all about Ronan's reaction. They legitimately distract and confuse the villain in a way that absolutely devastates him. "Loss of a murder boner" is the PERFECT way to say it.
>>
>>89156568
He got every last personality wrong. As much as I love it, it IS a bad adaptation.
>>
>>89156638
>retarded
The only reason that plan worked at all was because of movie plot armor, in any halfway sane universe Ronan would have just incinerated Quill the second he interrupted his monologue. Unrealistic, therefore retarded.
>random
Quill could have done fucking ANYTHING to distract Ronan. He could have given a rousing speech, or thrown a rock at him, or fucking called him a dick and made fun of him. But no, he picked fucking dance off, which no sane person in the universe would have ever picked. Therefore, random.
>out of place
The ship had just fucking crashed and Ronan was about to kill everyone. What kind of mind does a man have to have to think that the best response is to start singing and dancing? Even if Quill is a bit on the weird side the fact that his mind went to dance off was jarringly out of character for what we had seen. Therefore, out of place.
>>
>>89156568
The only thing Gunn got right was the names.
>>
>There's going to be a Guardian's of the Galaxy World in KH3

KILL MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
It's a very fun movie the first time you watch it, but as some other anons said it has literally no rewatch value. Like The Avengers, it relies too much on jokes. Once you know the jokes, the movie loses a lot of its enjoyment.

I think the most rewatchable MCU movies are Winter Soldier and Iron Man and that's mostly because they don't rely on constant jokes every 10 seconds. Also, the first Captain America and Iron Man 3 (which I know is very controversial) are probably the only ones that actually get better the second time you watch them.
>>
>>89156141
It's something straight out of a parody movie. I expected the Wayans brothers to pop out out of nowhere at the end yelling "SURPRISE"
>>
>>89157487
Well one could argue that them being the kind of crazy people who do dance offs in unexpected situations is precisely why they won.

I mean, it's pretty clear in the movie that they're unconventionnal crazies who somehow manage to save the galaxy.
>>
>>89157481
>>89157502
nah he just added elements from more comics than you're probably familiar with and also made some changes of his own of course, like making Groot into a hippie or making Drax autistic instead of just retarded

no worse than most of the other MCU movies
>>
>>89157663
Nah, he just made whatever changes he wanted and thought "Wouldn't that be funny?".
Beyond the main cast, he also fucked up several other things like Ronan's personality and the entirety of Xandar.
>>
>>89155525
Draco had the whole thing with Rowan and Thanos.
>>
>>89157743
Ronan was an absolute psycho long before he was an antihero
>>
>>89157038
>i suspect the entire trailer was made from the first 10 minutes of the film edited together
More trailers need to be this.
Stop giving away the entire movie you dumb fucks.
>>
>>89153270
>Just rewatched it, and it's easily my favourite Marvel movie

WHOA!

I can't believe this controversial opinion. Do you also like pizza?
>>
>>89157663
This guy said some of it
>>89157743
He couldn't have "added elements from more comics than I was probably familiar with" to Rocket, for instance, since there wasn't all that much material before Annihilation: Conquest, and I had read Rocket's mini, anyway. And hippie Groot, as you pointed out, is pretty much the opposite of Groot.
>>
>>89157935
sure rocket too, but I feel compelled to point out that he was mostly just a wise-cracking meme character in conquest and GOTG anyway. injecting some backstory angst was a sensible decision especially given the positive reception the character received

same with groot
>>
>>89158080
>injecting some backstory angst was a sensible decision
>same with groot
hm
no.

Hell I could see Groot bickering as a lot more fun, actually.
>>
>>89157440
It's the perfect way to stop/distract him too, considering how obviously power-hungry and fear-desiring he is. He's at his big moment, ready for all to kneel and quiver with fear as he looks them in the eyes anout to destroy their planet. At the moment of glory, this asshole starts singing and challenges him to a dance-off.
>>
I'll admit to knowing dick-all about the comics. So groot is usually violent I take it? Or at least mot as peaceful?
If that's the case, would y'all want sprout groot to grow up to be comic groot, or stay the same in the movie?
>>
>>89158639
>So groot is usually violent I take it? Or at least mot as peaceful?
comic Groot started as a random villain in an issue of...I don't know what.

Years later they put him into Guardians, and he's an assholish self titled "prince" who constantly complains about how he' sbetter than this shit.
Then he gets blown off and starts growing again. WHich btw was funny considering how high and mighty he behaved.
Then he grows bigger to his normal size (which in the comic is big enough to hold Rocket standing in his palm), and he starts only saying "I am Groot" because his throat is broken or something.

It gradually becomes a running gag that he's kinda dumb and can only say that, until they have a scene with that hyper intelligent prince in the Inhumans royal family who has über complicated sciency talks with him, and blames the whole team for not realizing he's actually super smart.

Most of the time he's kinda just there.
>>
>>89158363
I could certainly see that too, but I try to judge movies as they are rather than based on what I'd like them to be. I will always prefer the comics of course but the movies can't nor should they be slave to them and I don't let my opinion of one affect the other because the transition in scale and parties involved is drastic

I can't fault Gunn and co for delivering an entertaining if streamlined new depiction, I really enjoyed seeing some of my favorite characters and spectacles onscreen even with their differences. No matter what changes he made or how you feel about them it's clear that he's read and loved a great variety of cosmic comics in his time

>>89158639
most of these characters have been through some rough alterations over the years but Groot was never a peaceful dog-like creature until the movie

hell he began conception as a warmongering Kirby monster
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.