[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Dennis O'Neil the definitive writer on Batman?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

Is Dennis O'Neil the definitive writer on Batman?
>>
I mean there's also 66, but you can probably make the best argument for it.
>>
>>89145050
Which issues was the O'Neil run?
>>
>>89150419
Most of Batman 224-268 and most of the 300s of Detective Comics
>>
>>89145050
How do we define definite? I like O'Neil's run, but there are other runs I like better.
>>
>>89145050
Barr
>>
>>89150461
>>89150535
>>89150548
I mean, I would give it to O'Neil because not only because of the issues he wrote, but because without him, we would not have had some of the best Batman comics. Not just because he directly inspired them, but because his tenure as group editor of the Bat-books is prrrobably one of the strongest periods in the franchise's history. I mean, even if you don't like everything from 90s Batman, you probably like at least one of the main writers, and there was such a huge breadth of material, like LoTDK, Shadow of the Bat, Batman Chronicles (which was about everyone BUT Batman ironically), the Gotham Nights and GCPD and Gordon and Bullock minis that laid the groundwork that Gotham Central would later build on...

When I think of my favorite Batman periods, it's a toss-up between the 70s and the late 80s-90s, and I realized that O'Neil is the common thread there. He's also a pretty huge influence on BTAS, hell he even wrote Ra's al Ghul's first non-comics appearance.
>>
Bill Finger.
>>
>>89150419
O'Neil was writing comics in the 70s? I always thought he was a 80s/90s man.
>>
>>89145050
Not my favorite Bat-writer, but he probably is the definitive one. He refined and codified so much of Batman's character and world that it's pretty difficult to imagine what Batman would be like without him. And this is without even going into the influence he had over the Batman mythos as an editor.
>>
>>89145050
At this point it's Miller.

>>89150419
Like half the 70s Batman & Detective Comics issues.
>>
>>89151482
Bulk of his major work was bronze age. He did some notable things in the 80s, but he was an old-timer by the 90s.
>>
I don't know if he's the definitive Batman writer, but he is 100% the definitive Batman editor.
>>
why it's impossible to collect his run?
>>
>>89150548
the Outsiders were my jam
its getting a reprint soon
>>
>>89152272
Because DC's collection department lacks in some areas.
>>
>>89152505
"some areas"? it's like they hate money
>>
>>89152676
Compared to Marvel the collections are cheaper and don't go out of print as quickly/they reprint them.
Everything else...
>>
>>89152945
They also have a better back cayalogue with a lot of beloved series that didn't sell much then and won't sell much now.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.