[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else think the Oz stories are untapped potential

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: the_wizard_of_oz_by_bakanekonei.jpg (425KB, 1277x1000px) Image search: [Google]
the_wizard_of_oz_by_bakanekonei.jpg
425KB, 1277x1000px
Does anyone else think the Oz stories are untapped potential for /co/ adaptations? The biggest one I know about is the Marvel comics adaptations of the first few books, but there are 14 books to work from (even more if you count the canon ones not written by Baum) and tons of potential.

Imagine feature length animated adaptations, or alt-universe takes on the universe in comics. Why does Alice in Wonderland get all the attention while Wizard of Oz gets ignored?
>>
>>89140867
Full of some wacky shit, open to numerous interpretations, wide range of stuff not well known to general audiences but with a popular aspect extremely well known via the movie(s) and the like...

...Yeah, yeah, it is.

>Why does Alice in Wonderland get all the attention while Wizard of Oz gets ignored?

Because it got a Disney cartoon and Oz was MGM... though Return to Oz was Disney. But 80s Disney. And Oz Great and Powerful was a bit of an underwhelmer critically IIRC.

Anyway, it's good Alice got the "attention" of Tim Burton and not the Oz stories, because all the potential would be screwed once it became Tim Burton's Wizard of Oz. It'd just be a Tim Burton movie with ruby slippers and a yellow road that spirals far too much to be useful as a road.
>>
>>89141040
And you just know that Burton would have made his husbando Johnny Depp into the Scarecrow and the movie would have been "Scarecrow: with a guest appearance by Dorothy and Toto".
>>
File: 1456349245981.jpg (102KB, 1036x521px) Image search: [Google]
1456349245981.jpg
102KB, 1036x521px
I love Baum and I storytimed Henrique Fernandez's adaptation of the first book last week.
I think that the issue is that Oz is too unique and people only wants more of the MGM version, is a lose-lose situation for anyone that wants to adapt it and baum's other works suffer a similar case
>>
>>89140867

They really can make a series of movies with some more action, I mean, if tin man chop some wolves and the Lion fight against a bigass sipder, hey, I'd pay for see that.
>>
>>89141040
>Because it got a Disney cartoon

Why can't Oz get a Disney cartoon? It's too bad though that Disney seems to have a fetish of remaking cartoons into live-action while turning its back on animation.
>>
>look on deviantART for Oz art
>find this

The more I look at Tin Man the more I laugh.
>>
>>89140867
Wasn't there a wizard of OZ comic that was storytimes here less than a week ago that was fucking fantastic?
>>
>>89142095
http://desuarchive.org/co/thread/88967733/#88967733
>>
File: grimmoz.jpg (1MB, 828x1273px) Image search: [Google]
grimmoz.jpg
1MB, 828x1273px
>>89140867
Oz by Ralph Griffith & Stuart Kerr and the Zenescope Oz comics include later characters and settings. They're not traditional interpretations on the setting though. The Stuart/Kerr version is a darker take and the Zenescope books... they're what you'd expect. Both are entertaining though.
>>
File: ods3ffjdts1r8l1kg540.jpg (41KB, 540x270px) Image search: [Google]
ods3ffjdts1r8l1kg540.jpg
41KB, 540x270px
>>89142439
>Zenescope
>>
I'm reading the books for the first time and I was taken aback by how enjoyable and charming they have been. Despite their age they are still very easy to read and enjoy to this day.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.