[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished Avatar the Last Airbender and i really enjoyed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_0748.jpg (138KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0748.jpg
138KB, 460x215px
Just finished Avatar the Last Airbender and i really enjoyed it. Don't have much free time, but should i invest my time in the Legend of Korra? Does /co/ recommend this show?
>>
>>89098560
no.
>>
>>89098560
Its alright, if you finished tla. Korra throughout the series can be an insufferable cunt. But its good.
>>
Save yourself from the disappointment
>>
>>89098560
If you really liked the Last Airbender's rich lore and world-building just know that Korra goes full midichlorians on it.
>>
I liked Korra but if you're very being on the status quo ATLA established you should probably avoid it.
>>
File: 1470530755265.gif (2MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
1470530755265.gif
2MB, 360x270px
>>89098560
It's not as good as ATLA, but if you really enjoyed it, and you love Avatar, you're going to enjoy it anyhow. Book 3 (6?) is really good and Books 1(4?) and 4(7?) aren't awful.
>>
>>89098875
I'd say book 4 of LoK is pretty awful, especially towards the end.

That said, OP will probably like book 1 and 3 of LoK if nothing else so there's that. Overall though LoK is a huge disappointment, especially if you're expecting Atla quality.
>>
>>89098560

Pros: Pretty much everyone in LoK is USDA Certified Grade A+ Fuckmeat

Cons: Every one of those perfect asses takes a big fat rancid shit on everything that made TLA great.
>>
File: 1472783730121.jpg (473KB, 2986x2565px) Image search: [Google]
1472783730121.jpg
473KB, 2986x2565px
>>89098935
>especially if you're expecting Atla quality.

That's honestly not enough the main reason it's disappointing. Even ignoring the fact that it's a sequel to one of the best Western fantasy adventures of all time, Korra continually lures you in with exciting grand premises and then hangs you out to dry.

Even with that being said, I really think /co/ is far too hard on Korra. There are other /co/ action shows that are TLoK tier or worse and they don't receive half the bashing Korra does. Give it a watch OP, enjoy it for what is it.
>>
>>89099014
I just think that's because LoK could have been so much better. That said i agree with you it's not as bad as some people on /co/ makes it out to be, but on the other hand it is certainly not as good as shippers make it out to, and it's not as good as Atla.
>>
>>89098560
Don't talk about Avatar, especially Korra, on /co/. It just turns into a bunch of shitposting.
>>
>>89098828
Can you elaborate a bit? the only thing I hated about the lore that they added were the bending retcons, going from "you're born with it or you aren't, but how good you are depends entirely on how much work you put in" to "bending bloodlines inherit super OP bending abilities". That and stuff like lightningbending and metalbending becoming piss easy, apparently.

Oh, and how lazy they got with the martial arts side. It seemed initially like they were going to turn it into a traditional-meets-new blend, and the first season built that up, but then it just went to shit.
>>
>>89099345
This.

/co/ hates Korra because from the time it was announced, through teasers and concept arts and panels and leaked first episode, we were fucking crazy about it. Every single thread was nothing but hype and optimism for the future of the series

(Actual spoilers if you haven't already been spoiled)

Then the show actually aired and turned into relationshit and probending central for the first half of the season, and the hate about those two elements and the pacing of it kind of snowballed into hate for everything about the show. And just as /co/'s feelings for the show were starting to get better, Bryke pulls a giant mech and lesbian romance out of their joined asshole.

But I loved the show, you should watch it OP.
>>
>>89098560
Only bother with the first season. It's fresh, has awesome pacing and features a wonderful villain. At the very end of the last episode (leading into 2), the writers break their own rules to get around what could have been a quest equal to that of TLA.

If you can look past that, there are some neat action sequences and really fun characters, but Korra remains a whiny little bitch that goes through no character arcs. Also, they shoehorn in a lesbian relationship at the end.
>>
File: co discusses korra.webm (3MB, 404x240px) Image search: [Google]
co discusses korra.webm
3MB, 404x240px
>>89098560
Best analogy I can think of is Original Trilogy vs Prequel Trilogy Star Wars.

ATLA did it first and did it best, it's the timeless classic with an amazing story that only gets better and better as time goes on.
LOK makes some serious missteps here and there, but there's still a lot of genuinely good stuff in it, and even if it doesn't live up to the impossibly high bar set by its predecessor, you can admire it for trying and enjoy it as still pretty good entertainment value.

As with all things, take anything you hear on 4chan with a grain of salt. Best option is always going to be just watching it and making up your own damn mind.
>>
>>89100067
It was mainly the season 2 dawn of the first Avatar story.
The whole dark-avatar thing feels like it's written by a 13 year old and completely shits on the original point of the Avatar.
It goes from someone keeping the balance of a morally grey world to a jedi vs darkside, black vs white theme.
The spirits in the original Avatar are unknowable, terrifying, benevolent, or whatever they choose to be. Koh the Facestealer, Hei Bai, Wan Shi Tong, Ocean and Moon spirits all have a very appropriate asian theme that feels very 'Avatar'.
Raava and Vaatu are just bland and belittle the entire point of the Avatar.
When the Avatar is killed in the Avatar state, that's supposed to be the end of it of their line, but with the god spirits, there is no real repercussions of the Avatar being killed.
The lionturtles being the ones to have taugh bending was also a bad retcon. Originally, animals or spirits were the source of humans learning to bend.
I.E. Flying Bison with airbending, Badgermoles with earthbending, dragons with firebending, and the ocean and moon spirits with waterbending.
Having the lionturtles touch your forehead for a juice of power like a gas station is retarded.
Bending was supposed to be one of the ways people would go closer to the spirit world, with the Avatar being the epitome of that, not just random powers they were given because reasons.
>>
>>89100999
>Originally, animals or spirits were the source of humans learning to bend.
>I.E. Flying Bison with airbending, Badgermoles with earthbending, dragons with firebending, and the ocean and moon spirits with waterbending.
We've been over this multiple times and it's obvious that was never true and people took those lines too literally. If Bison could make new airbenders there wouldn't have only been five in the world during Korra's time.

Bison, dragons and badger moles are not all magical animals. If they were you might as well just make them spirits instead.
>>
>>89101050
Bisons don't make the people into benders, They are naturally able to do it and people learned from them.
>>
>>89101083
They learned the proper forms for airbending from watching them. This was literally something introduced in ATLA with the dragons. Zuko could still make fire but he couldn't effectively bend it because he had let go of his anger. He went and *watched* the dragons and learned the right, peaceful way of firebending.

If getting new airbenders was as simple as making non-benders study bison for a few years, Aang would have tried it. We would have heard something about it, but we didn't because that was never how the lore worked.
>>
>>89101129
It was introduced with the Ocean and Moon spirits and their push-pull relationship, and then further shown with the badgermoles and how Toph learned from them.
It wasn't a matter of non-benders learning either. It's also stated that before the elements, people bent the energy in their own body. Bending had all ready existed and certain people were always capable of doing it, just not with the elements until they learned from the animals and spirits.
>>
>>89101162
Toph was already an earthbender before the badger moles, she just learned, from mimicking them (they didn't sit her down and teach her anything, they're animals) how to be a good bender by using her disability.

> Bending had all ready existed and certain people were always capable of doing it, just not with the elements until they learned from the animals and spirits.
That's why in the Wan episodes it was called the power of earth/fire/air/water. That was a huge sign they were actually paying attention to their already established lore that they didn't contradict.

Humans had the raw, uncontrolled power of an element, and learned how to bend it by studying animals/the moon's pull.
>>
File: 1473616762349.jpg (361KB, 657x875px) Image search: [Google]
1473616762349.jpg
361KB, 657x875px
>>89098560
I think the first season is awesome until the "big revelation". Second was weak, third and fourt was okay, except the ending.

Still I suggest watching it. Even if you don't like it overall, even /co/ agrees that Korra is hotter than hell.
>>
>>89101201
That's exactly what I have been saying.
What is retarded is how the lionturtles just touching people's foreheads and giving them the knowledge to do it instantaneously makes bending cheap.
Instead of years of learning from the animals and spirits, then passing that knowledge down to younger generations, forging cultures and nations that help build upon the world of Avatar, it becomes like wearing a pair of clothes.
>>
>>89101242
Bending isn't just a soda-fountain machine that you can go up to a certain lion turtle, push a button and receive bending.
>>
>>89101242
That's not what fucking happens. Being poked by a Lion Turtle doesn't make you a master bender.
>>
>>89101313
Yes it does. That's exactly what happens. Did you watch the episode with Avatar Wan?
>>
File: fh.png (172KB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
fh.png
172KB, 444x250px
>>89101313
>>89101332
Here's a picture if you need proof.
>>
>>89101332
>>89101359
Yeah, I did. Apparently you didn't or you would have remembered the scene that explicitly showed him learning bending from a dragon, exactly how the original show said it went.
>>
>>89101370
Which is all well and good. But that doesn't stop the lionturtle idea being retarded. That goes for Aang instantly learning energy bending as well.
>>
don't watch korra

if you are gonna watch, don't go past the first season
>>
>>89101395
Way to move the goalposts.
>>
>>89101409
>The lionturtles being the ones to have taugh bending was also a bad retcon. Originally, animals or spirits were the source of humans learning to bend.
Goalpost has been in the same place it's always been. Lionturtles are stupid.
>>
>>89101332
>>89101359
Power of fire vs fire bending. It's like the difference between being given a sword and learning swordsmanship.
>>
>>89101419
Scrapper tier goalpost shifting
>>
>>89101419
It wasn't a retcon at all. The original point has been proven false.
>>
File: 1474225893579.jpg (302KB, 1000x707px) Image search: [Google]
1474225893579.jpg
302KB, 1000x707px
>>89101237
I dislike the ending of season one a lot more than I dislike the ending of season four.

The later parts of former just scream "WE WANT THE YOUNG ADULT AUDIENCE!" complete with whiny teen girl protagonist that succeeds through dumb luck, broody asshole love interest and everyone kissing their asses all the time.

Season 4 has lesbians and giant robots. That's better. Ican live with that.
>>
>>89101451
The original point is only false because of the retcon.
>>
>>89101473
There is no retcon. The source of their ability to manipulate the elements is utterly irrelevant. The Wan episodes reinforce that mankind learned how to bend from animals, as explicitly shown by Wan learning how to Firebend from a dragon.

"Learned how to bend from animals" has not ever meant "gaining the power from animals." It meant "observing how the animals did it and following in their footsteps." Wan did it. Toph did it. There's no retcon.
>>
>>89101520
Learning to bend is fine, but as stated in the Last Airbender, "In the era before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves."
Bending had existed already. Being given the power by lionturtles is just silly.
Having turned the power of energybending into bending the elements from learning from animals makes more sense.
>>
>>89101559
It's also been ten thousand years. No one even remembered who Wan was, why should we take their account of How Shit Was as gospel?
>>
>>89101520
>has not ever meant "gaining the power from animals."
No, but there is never any need to elaborate the precise origin for bending or any inherent plot abilities.
In the original series there was a very subtle justification that bending was more than just some ability and that the ability itself was tied not to anything genetic (see: twins with one bender one not) but something more spiritual. That's why the bending master techniques are tied to mental states. Sokka, the only main character without bending, is scientifically inclined and just can't bring himself to accept most things blindly. Katara, Aang, and Toph are all meanwhile very quick to accept and even idolize bending sources. There's a very understated element of faith and mysticism necessary. With AtLA, all abilities are inherently internal. The Avatar State is innate from the moment they're born, bending is inherent in who you are, energybending being the oldest and crudest method. Making the origin of that power be from literally being handed something external removes the beauty of harnessing your own nature and exerting that will on the world around you.

Plus, removing the origin of bending from the celestial bodies also makes the depowering caused by eclipses make no sense anymore. If the power came from a Lion turtle why is it dependent on the celestial bodies?
>>
>Korra and her girlfriend, Asami, are the first known LGBTQIA+ individuals in the Avatar universe. The other known individuals are Kya and Aiwei.
>Kya
Did I miss anything in the show?
>>
>>89098560
Personally I found korra so awful that every season made me hate the overall show more and more... not just her, things just never pay off or make sense. The final ending final was the biggest sjw fuck you and the creators got ass pats all around because of that, but it was out of the blue and just stupid. It put such a bad taste in my mouth that it ruined the other Avatar series for me, thats how big a piece of garbage Korra was as a character and as a series.
>>
Honestly you're better off watching these reviews about it rather than the show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmKaQqinWKY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5gGEWqO_Ag
>>
Korra's massive breasts.
>>
>>89098560
>should i invest my time in the Legend of Korra?
Here's the spoil free breakdown:

>first half season 1
Fresh exciting and gets you excited to see this world unfold
>second half season 1
Falls apart, the world become stupid in parts more so in the end, and the plot gets very disjointed. Many forgive season 1 where that was originally all they were green lit.

>all of season 2
A total mess and pile of shit that by itself ruin and undid all the lore and history of Avatar the Last Airbender. Plot holes and inconsistencies rule the season's plot and you will have to just accept most of the season final because it just happens with no understanding as to why.

>first half of season 3
refreshing and gives hope they might be able to salvage this mess, solid plot but still requires you to just accept some things but not the extremes that it hurts the narrative told
>second half of season 3
Gets shaky, plot starts to reach some and Korra suffers both in plot and narrative. Battles are fantastic however. The somber note it ends on could be argued it was forced.

>season 4
Take all that hope season 3 gave you and toss it out the window. We are back to disjointed plots and goals as the story sluggishly marches forward to a very unsatisfying end that just reminds you how bad the writers and directors of this show were.

If reading all that and you still want to watch it you should be fine.
>>
File: 1483947070279.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1483947070279.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>89098560
you keep making this thread are you fucking stupid or something
>>
>>89098588
That's not accurate, unless you think all female protagonists are cunts you fucking douche
>>
File: 1483048260380.jpg (488KB, 1908x1912px) Image search: [Google]
1483048260380.jpg
488KB, 1908x1912px
>>89102783
>>
>>89102757
I always assume it's someone that work on the show or a anon that just wants easy (You)s
>>
>>89102328
Wasn't in show, someone asked Bryke if there were any other LGBT characters in the show and they responded with Kya and Aiwei.
>>
File: 1423149057046.jpg (55KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
1423149057046.jpg
55KB, 500x707px
>>89102328
I would have appreciated a scene of Kya macking on Lin.
>>
>>89100889
Someone witha sensible and well thought out opinion on both the star wars prequels and korra.

I like you.

>>89098560
As for you OP, its definitely worth a watch, dont go in expecting a masterpiece like ATLA, but overall Korra is still a very entertaining show and provides great characters to look at R34 of if you are into that.
>>
>>89098560

Absolutely not.

This show treats you like an idiot with a structure so full of plot holes and general nonsense that I'm convinced they were just making shit up week to week. To make matters worse, the main characters are such one dimensional teenage stereotypes that you just can't give a shit as they try to distract you by raising the stakes higher and higher each season.

LoK also constantly goes in for cameos and references to ATLA to the point that it actually manages to retcon its shitty characterization and nonsensical plot into the first show.

For the first half of season one you're interested in the changes to ATLA's world and Korra's so hot that it takes longer than it should to notice how bad her character is but it just keeps getting worse and worse after that honeymoon period. There is literal fanfiction that manages to be not only better written but actually fit into the source material.
>>
>>89102593
While this is all true, overall the show is still entertaining so its worth a watch
>>
>>89101462
But the lesbians and giant robot is the worst shit in the entire show.
>>
>>89104378
You'd think that, but you'd be wrong.
>>
>>89104440
Nope, the robot was shit and lesbians were just stupid considering the shows focus.
>>
>>89104459
The lesbians were barely there and the robot blew shit up and involved about the most sophisticated plan Korra had ever been a part of.

Meanwhile the way that season one plays out is absolute shit from a basic storytelling point of view.
>>
>>89104511
Robot doesn't even make sense from a setting perspective or story perspective.

Lesbians was out of place and shouldn't have been included. It also makes all the other romance shit a waste of time.
>>
>>89102783
A moron bitch that gets away with everything because the plot bends itself around her whims and whose """"flaws"""" are worthless, inconsequential shit that in the end comes down to "she's TOO strong!" or "she's TOO independent and awesome for this wretched, patriarchal world!" is most writers' -- especially male writers trying hard to earn exp. for their Feminist stat -- idea of a "strong, independent female character."

Korra isn't even the only example in TLOK. There was Suyin as well.
>>
Korra can be summed up in two words - Squandered Potential.
Every season starts strong, every season gives something that looks good to get you interested in, every season has some major bullshit near then end that ruins it.
It's enjoyable enough but don't go in with high expectations and just be forewarned that Korra is the Queen of Fuckups.
>>
>>89101263
That is pretty much what happened though. We never see a lion turtle say no, not even after Wan had kept firebending to himself in secret and was being exiled for it.
>>
>>89098560
It won't be as good of a story, but it is still better than a lot of things.
Any cartoon would find ATLA a tough act to follow, so Korra was never gonna be that level from the start.

Action is still great.
Though they add mechs for a few episodes and they're CG so they'll stand out, but that's all I remember visual wise to complain about.
>>
>>89101603
Because as a rule of the fantasy genre, legends and myths are always truth, even if they're dismissed in-universe. Or rather, especially WHEN they're dismissed.

Anthropology and interpretation of myths don't exist within such stories. If that ancient tablet says the palace of Knossos had a labyrinth with a bull man in it, it HAD a labyrinth with a bull man in it.
>>
File: Korra_e650d3_5347968.gif (3MB, 400x219px) Image search: [Google]
Korra_e650d3_5347968.gif
3MB, 400x219px
>>89098560
If you can jerk off to animation like I do.

It's literally Star Wars prequels of Avatar. But it's so goddamn pretty when those crazy Koreans do their magic.
>>
>>89104613
What if Bryke's genius lies in being too meta, as Korra is a squandered potential herself, as she was constantly not meeting expectations people set for her, so was her show?
>>
>>89104771
Bryke's genius, just like George Lucas' and most 4channers', lies in being idea guys, not writers and certainly not showrunners.
>>
>>89104771
Shit's still shit even if it's meant to be a shit shit.
>>
>>89104797
That's what I say about Guardian Devil.

That shit's climax is Mysterio saying "my plan basically worked because y'all retarded, lmao".

And then Murdock was like "fuck you, it's dumb".

And deep point is that you can't artificially recreate Kraven's Last Hunt. Bravo.

More like, Kevin Smith at the last second realized he ain't making Kraven out of Mysterio with retarded shit he wrote.
>>
>>89098560
It's okay at best. The best episode doesn't even involve her. The best seasons are 3,1,2, and 4 in order. If you like the world of the show you'll like it, otherwise, and I quote:
"I'm the Avatar, you gotta deal with it!"
>>
>>89104576
So you have never watched Legend of Korra then?
>>
>>89107055
not an argument
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.