[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your opinion on Superman: The Movie, /co/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 16

File: Superman 1978.jpg (333KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Superman 1978.jpg
333KB, 1000x1500px
What's your opinion on Superman: The Movie, /co/?
>>
>>88923780
I like it a lot. But I don't like the ending.
>>
>>88923780
boring shit compared to snyder's kino
>>
>>88923920
kek
>>
>>88923780
It's a fun movie. Chris Reeve had the best Clark Kent/Superman dynamic.
>>
>>88923780
It's pretty good, really slow due to 70s pacing and special effects, but it is probably what really defined superman to most people
>>
Great character moments, and the defining live-action portrayal of Superman/Clark Kent. Plot's rough, but it doesn't really matter because the actors sell it so well.
>>
>>88923780
Fantastic Krypton sequence.
I don't like Superman much, but I think it's the best of the cape movies.
>>
File: theyaredoingitwrongnow.gif (431KB, 900x1294px) Image search: [Google]
theyaredoingitwrongnow.gif
431KB, 900x1294px
>>88923780
It was the pinacle of moviemaking!
Or maybe it was because I was 12 when it came out, which is the perfect age for liking fun stuff.
>>
>>88925729
This comic is enraging.
>>
>>88925788
That's your thing then.
>>
Decently good & whimsical.

It and 2 are burdened with cringy slapstick romance crap that puts the Thor movies to shame (2 alot more so)
Absolutely AWFUL Lois.

Man of Steel is superior in everyway except Pa Kent.
>>
>>88923920
kill yourself & your family
>>
>>88926063
Not him but how about you stop being a sadist piece of evil human trash?
>>
>>88923780
Best cape film ever made.
>>
>>88923780
It's a good film but rather overrated. It relies rather heavily on the audiences previous knowledge of Superman to skip over a lot of character building. The film itself is more of a series of episodes rather than a cohesive whole and Gene Hackman comes of more like a used car salesman than Lex Luthor.
>>
>>88923780

Best theme ever
>>
>>88923780
It's a classic. Also it's on Netflix now, go check that shit out.
>>
File: 1474934759260.jpg (374KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
1474934759260.jpg
374KB, 1000x666px
>>88923920
jej
>>
>>88923780
Kino
>>
>>88924263
>70s pacing

It wasn't really viewed as an action film, which is what the expectation is for these movies since pretty much the Rami films, perhaps from X2.

Look at Burton's Batman, it's equally slow as far as action set pieces, etc. And likewise, through the '80s, the CGI and other effects are very dated in anything. Only films that relied heavily on practical effects hold up well, all the films that are using computer generated work (see the uncut, un-"improved" upon Star Wars as a perfect example of this).
>>
>>88923780
I honestly don't understand why it's still considered such a masterpiece. Reeve is an alright Superman, but beyond that it kinda sucks. Hobo Lex is not really any better than Eisenberg, and the whole time reversal is plain retarded.
>>
>>88927649
You have to be 18 to post here, son.
>>
>>88927663
Ow, wow, a psychic.
But do you have any actual arguments?
>>
File: 1433303924708.png (288KB, 426x526px) Image search: [Google]
1433303924708.png
288KB, 426x526px
>>88927676
>admitting to being underaged
>>
>>88927604
I'm going to marathon all 5, I'll be back later with the results.
>>
>>88926054
>Man of Steel is superior

Not to get into this tiresome argument, but MoS is only superior if you treat it as an Elseworld tale. IT ends with Clark becoming a reporter and does it as sort of an off-hand choice, it could have ended with Clark becoming a radio disk jockey (or some other profession that film makers and the viewing audience seem to feel requires no training or credentials) or a carpenter (ditto). There's no sense of becoming a journalism to keep him connected with current events and problems needing his (Superman) solutions. Not that this is not something that could or shouldn't be modified, but canon today keeps and has kept the 1938/1939 rationale.

I could point to other, similar aspects but the point is that MoS's superiorities are primarily technical and those are due to, simply put, having been made in the past few years and all that this afforded, versus being made over 30 years ago and all that this entailed, technically speaking.
>>
>>88927703
That's a no, then? Nothing to say for yourself beyond dank memes?
>>
>>88927719
>3 and 4
god speed anon, you might need a few sriff drinks before those
>>
File: 1465209218531.jpg (29KB, 217x408px) Image search: [Google]
1465209218531.jpg
29KB, 217x408px
>>88927719
I mean, I can't recommend watching Superman III and IV, but have fun, I guess.
>>
>>88926063
Tell him to kill himself all you want but dont bring his family into it people that do that are the worst type of people even worse then synderfags
>>
>You will never fuck up the earth's rotation just to save one person
>>
I need a webm of Supes screaming, just because it would make a god-teir reaction image.
>>
File: like Sunday morning.gif (635KB, 500x209px) Image search: [Google]
like Sunday morning.gif
635KB, 500x209px
>>88923780
>>
>>88927649
>Reeve is an alright Superman

I'm actually not that fond of Superman: The Movie overall, but I think people sort of miss just how influential Reeve's was to a lot of where Superman went as a character afterwards. He didn't just bring what was on the page to life, he added to it. The easy confidence, the unabashed, almost comical yet still somehow convincing sincerity, the dry, playful wit etc. A lot of what he did has sort of "echoed" through subsequent takes on the character, especially in comic books. You can see it from Byrne to Morrison and countless others.

For all other flaw the film might have, which are considerable, it has one of the best lead performances in any superhero movie.
>>
>>88927724
>IT ends with Clark becoming a reporter and does it as sort of an off-hand choice, it could have ended with Clark becoming a radio disk jockey (or some other profession that film makers and the viewing audience seem to feel requires no training or credentials) or a carpenter (ditto). There's no sense of becoming a journalism to keep him connected with current events and problems needing his (Superman) solutions.

I hate this so much. As much as I try to defend MoS as an origin story, Clark's interest in journalism was a major missed opportunity. Snyder's has such a hard-on for showcasing Clark as an outsider, he overlooked a lot of what keeps him connected to people.
>>
>>88928459

It's really a problem because it's pretty clear that Snyder doesn't care about the entire secret identity issue, which essentially means he doesn't really care about masks and costumes, which essentially means he's just making action films - and that's all he's really interested in making.

Clark wasn't showcased as a reporter in BvS, which makes perfect sense (Gotham is next door to Metropolis in the BvS geography and you work for the major newspaper of the area but don't know who one of the biggest employer is OR what he looks like because you have no degree, credentials or actual skills to be a reporter) and even though you have super speed and all these other skills, you can't manage to toss off a basic high school sports feature because you're too busy overfilling your bathtub and otherwise looking constipated and/or miserable.

Since Clark was killed in BvS there's absolutely no way that the Daily Planet (beyond Lois Lane) will actually play any role in the DCEU going forward. Normal every day life won't really exist, given who the Lanterns are, Victor's life, what we've seen passes for 'normal' for Barry, Bruce's alcoholism, Diana's jet set lifestyle, and of course Arthur hard-driving, hard drinking ways.
>>
>>88923780
It got the self sacrificing part right
>>
>>88923780
Extremely good. 9.5/10 movie, only beaten by BvS. Some really good visuals, good dialogue, amazing scenes. Very few downsides, one of the things I disliked was Tessmacher having to save Superman, for instance. I hate Pa Kent dying despite it being an important scene.

I actually liked Lois's weird "flying with a god" poem. It felt cheesy at first but I got used to it. I REALLY liked the build up to Superman going back in time. It really spat in the face of people who say "you can't save everyone" and I loved it for that. Yeah, maybe YOU can't save everyone, but Superman can!
>>
>>88925729
Thank you for posting this comic. It's incredibly useful and I forgot to save it before. It really does explain why people think Batman: The Animated Series is the best Batman show and that no other can EVER top it no matter what. I hate nostalgia.
>>
>>88923920
OG Superman was kino as well, though
>>
Best scene? IMO it was Superman turning back time.
>>
>>88923780
Aged orribly but i still like it
>>
>>88929717
BTAS and B&B were both 'the best' but for different reasons. The animated series was a medium for telling more serious stories in the best rendition of Gotham people had seen up until that point.
And the Brave and the Bold knew how ridiculous Batman was, but played it comically, sometimes respectfully, sometimes ridiculously, but it was fun, it didn't have the 'artistic merit' of the animated series, but it knew how to be fun and that's what made it good.
>>
>>88923780
the best
>>
>>88929717
It doesn't explain shit anon.
>>
>>88923780
Reeve truly was Superman.
>>
>>88929928
I love the Krypton and fortress of Solitude sequences and Miss T's tits.
>>
>>88927647
>through the '80s, the CGI
You having a giggle here?
>all the films that are using computer generated work
I honestly don't get what you're trying to say. Are you imlpying that 80's CG was even a thing? I can think of one movie from the 80's that had a single CG render on screen for 5 seconds at most, and it was a cartoon. I cannot think of a single live action movie before Terminator 2 that ever really used CG for anything beyond a computer display, even even those usually weren't CG.
>>
>>88931783
The Abyss.
>>
>>88931783
tron
>>
>>88931783
Don't be a bitch, anon simply doesn't know the difference between green screen/layered effects and CGI

And you already know what he was trying to say
>>
File: jjj to the rescue.png (969KB, 925x871px) Image search: [Google]
jjj to the rescue.png
969KB, 925x871px
>>88929717
>I hate nostalgia that isn't my own.
>>
>>88932916
Except that's not true at all. Nice try.
>>
>>88923780
Good movie for its time. Good Superman. Stupid ending , but that Superman was silverage, so...bring back the time is not the most absurd things he could do.

Personally I've always liked more Superman 2
>>
File: 1410398915492.png (312KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1410398915492.png
312KB, 640x480px
>>88933061
>nuh-uh n-not true

So you have NO affection for anything? The only good version of any IP is always the most recent one?

You're weird anon. Even by /co/ standards.
>>
>>88933523
>So you have NO affection for anything?
Keep strawmanning kid. Whether I like something or not doesn't mean it's the best. But of course since all YOUR arguments are based on nostalgia you get triggered that I don't accept them.
>>
>>88933547
>Keep strawmanning kid.
Hah, you've been arguing with a shitlord all this time!
>>88933523
Jokes's on you!
>>
File: batman vs Doomsday.webm (2MB, 1916x796px) Image search: [Google]
batman vs Doomsday.webm
2MB, 1916x796px
>>88923920
This
>>
>>88923920
>Millennials posting
>>
File: leola.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
leola.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>88925729
Jesus christ, fucking this
I'm sick of all the nerds sucking the cock of whatever came out in the '80s like the whole decade was the second cumming of christ, I wish I could gas them all (yeah, I'm this triggered)
>>
>>88933629
>tries to prove a point by posting a good scene
Good CGI, good camera zoom, realistic depiction, all around good scene. This forced meme was a big failure.
>>
File: mario comfy.png (198KB, 500x445px) Image search: [Google]
mario comfy.png
198KB, 500x445px
>>88933826
>>tries to prove a point by posting a good scene
isn't that the way to do it? you can post a shitty scene to prove it's bad, you know
>>
>>88933899
Well thanks for agreeing with the other poster. Personally I think BvS is slightly better than Superman 1978, but Superman is better than MoS. So he's like 12% right?
>>
>>88933995
I have no idea because I have never watched classic superman movies and I don't plan on doing so unless I'm THAT bored.
I'm 26 btw.
But I agree with the fact that MoS gets a lot of undeserved shit.
>>
Lex is kinda lame, but otherwise it's perfect.
Still need to watch the second one.
>>
I wonder what Reeve Superman would say to Cavill Superman.
>>
>>88923780
>Superman: The Movie
the reason why it worked is because of Reese and john williams

I'm not even joking, most of the cast is either mediocre or shit

reese literally carried the whole movie like he was some kind of...SUPERMAN.

Brando, as usual, fucking drunk as hell not giving a single fuck about anything, making sure he gets as much money as possible
Hackman playing the goofy villain with Ned Beatty, but that wasn't Hackman's and Beatty fault though. For some reason movies can't get Luthor right, from donner to snyder...
Kidder was meh at best
the rest is just...yeah.

The second movie is better because of Terrence Stamp. Bot him and reese carries the whole movie
The rest of the series is just basically "what if multiple otis and make superman into a goofy franchise?"
>>
>>88935603
Who the fuck is Reese
>>
>>88923780
>Lex is bald on the cover
>only bald in the movie for like five seconds

Why?
>>
>>88933797
Settle down and drink your juice box, Timmy.

20 years from now, you can spend all day on the internet talking down to 20-somethings in 2037 about how Man of Steel was a classic, epic movie, and how BvS was amazing just like you do in 2017
>>
>>88935689
Reference to BvS.
>>
>>88927724
I meant it's a superior film not necessarily a superior adaption.

About the journalism, so what? It's like Peter Parker in high school some of us have zero interest in that part of the character.

And to be fair the Reeves films did jack shit with his reporting also besides comedy bullshit.
>>
>>88935689
>>88936251
Donner has some good taste. Glad he referenced such a classic.
>>
File: image.jpg (27KB, 250x229px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27KB, 250x229px
>>88935603
>Brando, as usual, fucking drunk as hell not giving a single fuck about anything, making sure he gets as much money as possible
Curse you Dario Brando!
>>
File: John Reese.jpg (1MB, 1457x2156px) Image search: [Google]
John Reese.jpg
1MB, 1457x2156px
>>88935603
>reese literally carried the whole movie like he was some kind of...SUPERMAN.
He really is. Too bad he died after the whole Samaritan debacle.
>>
>>88933112
Haven't seen Superman 2 yet. Is it good? I heard he also turns back time in it, which IMO belittles the first one if true.
>>
it sucks, I like man of steel more.
>>
>>88933547
>Keep strawmanning
>I hates nostalgia
>asked if likes ANYTHING
>declines to answer
>>
>>88941171
Okay you autist, I'm going to do this one more time because I'm a nice guy and also to bump this thread since I like 1978 Superman.

The point isn't that you aren't allowed to be nostalgic, but that you shouldn't use nostalgia as evidence that something is good (which TONS of people do). The worst example I could think of was TAS in which literally every Batman show "sucks" because it wasn't TAS, according to some people.

Yes, I like things. Yes, I sometimes have nostalgia for things. But no, I don't automatically think that what I'm nostalgic for is the best: that's retarded. What I responded to WAS a strawman because it tried to misinterpret my post on purpose.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.