[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it literally impossible to animate anything by using cels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: img2.png (8KB, 383x211px) Image search: [Google]
img2.png
8KB, 383x211px
Is it literally impossible to animate anything by using cels these days or is it just way too expensive?
>>
>>88920028
If I remember correctly using computers is more efficient and cleaner.
>>
>>88920028
You wouldn't carve something when you can 3D print it.
>>
>>88920028
even with hand drawn input scanning and integration on computer is both more efficient and can give more creative freedom if the tools are used right.
>>
Why would anybody want to use cels anymore?
>>
>>88922901
The folks behind Ed Edd n Eddy did. They were forced by CN to switch to digital, starting with the Christmas special.
>>
We had to use cels for a project when I was in animation school.

They were not provided in tuition, we had to but them ourselves. They were not cheap.
>>
>>88923746
Sounds like you went to the wrong school.

Did you at least make a bunch of fake cels and profit off of them?
>>
>>88925095
>Sounds like you went to the wrong school.

That's true, but I still had a good time.
>>
You can do hand drawn animation but with digital ink and paint and it looks the same
>>
Unless they make an algorithm that emulates it perfectly, digital will never have that peculiar quality cels have.
>>
>>88925191
SpongeBob did it right in this regard.

As long as they do it that way and don't cheap out and use shitty Flash or After Effects I'm cool with them not using cels.
>>
>>88920028
Because working digitally saves time and materials.
Also, you used "literally" wrong.
>>
>>88920028
Technology has developed to the point that doing the same process digitally is more efficient AND less money. The techniques used for digital 2d animation now are not new, but it used to take a lot of time to composite and render the frames.
>>
You could if you really wanted, but it's the equivalent of using a vintage camera over a modern one. There are people who like the crappier "style" of photo, but they're such a minority that nobody cares.
>>
I'll forever miss cel and film.
Most anime are still hand drawn then scanned
If I had the money I'd fund passion projects using it since there are things still no one has tried to emulate properly yet. Plus shooting it on film.

>>88926106
>"vintage"
>crappier
You know nothing about cameras lad. Age doesn't matter quality does.
>>
>>88923746
do you think it was to answer questions like >>88920028 or was it just because they're cheap
>>
>>88926598
Fuji Film stopped manufacturing acetate cels in 1999, which forced the entire anime industry to switch to digital ink and paint.
>>
>>88926106
you're obviously ignorant of art and thus have no place in this thread
>>
>>88920028
no it's not "Literally" impossible. But it takes more time and money
>>
>>88920028
Was there some sort of physical mutation that humans underwent that prevented them from doing cel animation, and I was just not aware?

No, you fucking moron, people can still do it.
>>
>>88920028

You can still do traditional animation using digital tools. The two are not mutually exclusive. There isn't much that cels offer over computers. Even film grain can be simulated quite nicely.

Acetate is expensive, require special storage, and degrade with time.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.