[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Lucifer so underrated compared to its parent comic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: Lucifer16.jpg (22KB, 250x375px) Image search: [Google]
Lucifer16.jpg
22KB, 250x375px
Why is Lucifer so underrated compared to its parent comic?
>>
It is fairly liked here and online while no talks about Carey's other work (The Unwritten is as long as Lucifer) much especially these days.
>>
Wow blast from the past. I read that series back in 06 and loved it so much. Haven't much thought of it in a long while, but it was one of the best series I've read. Great ending too, it finished everything so well.
>>
>>88917770

the new series?
or the show?

I assume because the show has nothing more than a passing resemblance to the comic.

and because the new comic is just okay.
>>
>>88917770
I feel like it gets overshadowed by Preacher more than Sandman since they both deal with the Devil.
>>
>>88918180
I'm referring to the original comic from 2000, which is never held to the high standard of its parent comic (Sandman)
>>
>>88917770
Sandman had much more range and more underlying themes
Lucifer was mostly Lucifer being 2kewl4u.
>>
>>88918765
Plus it went off into high fantasy epic and only turned around near the end, kind of like Fables.
>>
>>88918180
There's a TV and a new series? Are they good? I'm >>88918121

I can see a show working, but a new series? How can they continue it when it wrapped up so well
>>
It's the Mike Carey Curse. He always follows someone else who had a more memorable run. Sandman, Azzarello's Hellblazer (Carey had a 40 issue arc after that), and some x-men stuff
>>
>>88918121
DC recently reprinted this series in nice, 13 issue long paperbacks
>>
>>88917770
I finished Sandman recently and saw that people liked this one. Should I read it?
>>
>>88919354
The TV show has almost nothing to do with the comic. It's a generic police procedural.
>>
>>88919354
>>88919354
Don't bother with either. The show is an adaptation in name only, there's nothing in common, and not in a good way. The only good thing about the show is Tom Ellis as Lucifer, he plays the character that was written fine, but the problem is that this character has nothing to do with the source material.
The comic not only restores everything to status quo, but also manages to completely contradict Lucifer's character in the very first issue on multipple occasions. Maybe it gets better afterwards, but I didn't bother to find out.
>>
>>88917770
Mid-90s market crash.
>>
>>88920781
Lucifer started in 2000, anon
>>
>>88919536
I read it more recently and remember way fucking less. Couldn't even recognize key characters & plot points when thumbing through last year's revival.
Not bad, has some cool stuff, don't regret reading it by any means, but if you're after a long spinoff ongoing I prefer The Dreaming. Give Sandman Presents Lucifer a go at any rate, 3 issues miniseries by the same writer, it's what got the series greenlit so if you like that you'll probably like 70 more issues of it.
>>
>>88920833
Yeah and?
That places it after the mid-90s market crash.
>>
>>88918765
Whut Lucifer has great themes about self actualization, pride, family, and happiness. You'd have to be a moron to feel Lucifer lacks in thematic content.
Sandman's themes feel jammed down my throat frequently.
>>
>>88919356
Azz Hellblazer is considered the worst besides Milligan and Carey a top 3
I have no idea what youre talking about there.
>>
>>88917770
Remember when this was a cool meem?
>>
>>88922299
I'm going to need you to go ahead and kill yourself.
>>
>>88920887
>Sandman's themes feel jammed down my throat frequently
Neil Gaiman's fans dream of having him jam things down their throats
>>
>>88918066
The unwritten is my favorite vertigo book. At the risk of being forced to turn in my /co/mrade card I like it more than Sandman.
>>
>>88922336
Only after you.
>>
Could any anon link a /co/mrade to the links of the trades? wanted to get into this series, but couldn't find links
>>
>>88923279
https://www.amazon.com/Lucifer-Book-One-Mike-Carey/dp/1401240267/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483675347&sr=8-3&keywords=lucifer
>>
File: foto_no_exif.jpg (566KB, 3109x765px) Image search: [Google]
foto_no_exif.jpg
566KB, 3109x765px
>>88923279
>>88923430
It's a pretty large book, at 381 pages
>>
>Lucifer
sounds like it's just gonna be edgy bullshit
>>
>>88924089
Then you've clearly never read Sandman

>inb4 you come up with some other buzzword to explain why you think that's shit too
>>
>>88924089
It's no edgier than Paradise Lost. It's not goth teenager Satan, it's Lucifer the fallen angel
>>
>>88924089
Well this is going to be good
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.