[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: orderofthestick.gif (22KB, 450x200px) Image search: [Google]
orderofthestick.gif
22KB, 450x200px
What went wrong?
>>
Too infrequent updates, humor more misses than hits, trying to tell a serious story while still using DnD mechanics, among other things.
>>
I stopped caring about D&D, and thus stopped caring about the comic.
>>
>>88888327
Peaked at Azure City, and slowed way the fuck down both in story pacing and pace of updates ever since.
>>
>>88888494
3.5, at that.
>>
>>88888687
The Dark!V arc was pretty good.
>>
I wonder what the world will be like once this webcomic is done.

I mean it has been around for what? 10 years?
>>
>>88889998
>>
lack of updates is really all
>>
>>88888327
Author has some cleverness but not as much as he thinks he does. Also can't resist rubbing what he thinks is clever in his readers' faces.

Stick art is a awful choice. It was fine when the strip started as a light parody of DnD but it quickly started mushrooming into a serious story as the low-detail art is not helpful.
>>
>>88891213
What the fuck is the Rick Burlew up to that he can't update 2-3 times a week? Isn't this his main gig?
>>
>>88891351
didn't he hurt his hand? also the audience still buys all the calendars and shit so he's doing fine
>>
>>88891372
Wasn't that 4 years ago?
>>
It's too long, I've been reading it for ages and for how much he's put out he shouldn't have taken this long.
>>
>>88891622
The damage was permanent.
>>
>>88891622
it's still hurting him I guess
>>
>>88891692
Oh.
>>
>>88888327
Desert arc dragged way too long because of the slow update pace. Looking back at it, it works very nicely as a whole, but the slow pace of updates kills any momentum the narrative has.

Which is a shame. I really like the characters, and I want to know how the story ends, but I just cant be assed to keep checking if its updated or not. Even /tg/ stopped caring. I remember a time when every update got full bump limit thread.
>>
>>88891692
>>88891698
Couldn't he hire a crack team of 12 yr olds to handle the art?

Really, how hard would it be to have software just do it. Haley has like 4 poses total. Which is more than just about anyone.
>>
>>88888327
WORDS WORDS WORDS
>>
Eh, I still think its a pretty solid comic. It's got a bunch of problems of course, but I still get excited when I see an update so that counts for something.

I will say it gets all kinds of wordy. Like, a lot of the humor comes from the banter and the wordplay, but jesus christ. The arc where everyone was separated was the worst offender of this, but it got a whole lot better afterwards when it toned down the text walls.
>>
>>88891759
that would bite into the profit

and he's satisfied with current money situation, he's doing fine.

Plus once the story is over his career is over. Going to lose audience if he starts something new, he's near the end of this
>>
>>88891759
I imagine his artstyle is largely created by copy and pasting shapes anyway, but the nerve damage makes working a mouse harder.
>>
>>88891742
Yeah in retrospect the desert arc was one of the best, Tarquin remains my absolute favorite character. His chemistry with Elan was pure gold. I totally agree though, it works better as a whole and the infrequent updates made it murder to follow/care about the plot.
>>
>>88891766
>tfw no one will remember 10wpm anon.
>>
>>88891905
The legend of 10 wpm anon will always live on.
>>
>>88891830
"THIS IS A TERRIBLE ENDING" remains to me one of the best endings in almost any comic. Everything about that final confrontation was so perfect.
>>
According to /tg/ waaaaay too much dialogue.
>>
>>88891965
at the time I felt it dragged on a bit, what with tarquin refusing to let them escape, but that really played into how obsessed he was with being part of the main plot. Seriously though, I busted a gut when the airship arrived.
>>
>>88892116
>Tarquin tries to have a mass execution to make his son a better hero
>Gets mad when it just turns into an epic conflict that's making the others look better
>Gets trolled,
>They just get into an airship and fuck off
>Throw Tarquin off the ship
>"I'm not a twin anymore."
>"THIS IS A TERRIBLE ENDING."

Dragged on, but fuck that ending was perfect.
>>
>>88888327
updating twice a month
seriously how hard is to draw this shit?
>>
>>88891372
>>88891622
I thought he was slowly dying painfully
>>
>>88893415
Permanent nerve damage can be a bitch.
>>
>>88891830
He was definitely the most interesting take on LE Ive ever seen.
>>
File: dfsijoewrosdfasdfjdsfp936.png (203KB, 743x2708px) Image search: [Google]
dfsijoewrosdfasdfjdsfp936.png
203KB, 743x2708px
>>88888327
Looking back at it, the art choice is extremely unfortunate. He really should have found am artist to work with sometime through the Azure City arc, because the story is actually fantastic.

But scenes like this are let down by the restrictions of stick figures
>>
File: viusal_medium.jpg (52KB, 650x425px) Image search: [Google]
viusal_medium.jpg
52KB, 650x425px
>>88893894
An action scene, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>88894046
Yeah, he draws those occasionally
the perspective in panel 1 is a significant change from his norm and as such lends a much more powerful impact to such a simple method
>>
File: Too much text02.jpg (23KB, 399x300px) Image search: [Google]
Too much text02.jpg
23KB, 399x300px
>>88893894
>>
File: 1459527913767.png (31KB, 178x184px) Image search: [Google]
1459527913767.png
31KB, 178x184px
>>88894098
>mfw that Strongbad email and Zero Punctuation video about webcomics is still so accurate
What a terrible medium
>>
>>88888327
I still like it, but the updates are so slow it hurts.
>>
>>88893894
Man, that was a great sequence.

Rich seriously needs to hire someone to make stickfigures for him, goddamn. Hurry up, please.
>>
What if the snarl is the gods inventing fourth edition and realizing they don't like it, so they try to bury it?
>>
>>88888327
It's okay but suffers from hit-and-miss humor and Roy talking too goddamned much.
Seriously, I know he has deep-seated inferiority problems because 3.5 has shit balance, but he needs to quit preaching at the drop of a hat.
>>
>>88895919
He could do what he wanted if he updated more, but unfortunately he doesn't.
>>
>>88894046
>visual_medium.jpg
I mean yes. He draws them poorly, but everything about that action scene is visual.

I think he uses the medium fine, he just picked a shit art style and stuck with it, and thats where the problem stems from. For all the shit people give it for WORDS WORDS WORDS, reading it from archive as opposed to from his update schedule, it tends to flow very quickly.
>>
>>88894046
With a few notable exceptions like the court scene for example.
>>
I love this comic still. but jesus christ. The updates. It would be fine if it was a set date. Like, Tuesday of every other week. But instead he'll go a whole month before uploading one. Then upload another 4 days later, then another 3 weeks, etc.

Kills all momemtum, kills any investment I had in the story, and is just painful. Hard to get excited over.

If this is his main source of income, I don't know how he manages to do that.
>>
>>88896305
I think he sells game design stuff to Wizards
>>
>>88888327
Nothing really. Comic still great. Have some flaws but still really good.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.