[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to create something beatiful that kids would remember

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: wy2.gif (645KB, 500x273px) Image search: [Google]
wy2.gif
645KB, 500x273px
I want to create something beatiful that kids would remember when they grow up
Like I did with all these good shows that built my personality in the childhood

How do I enter the industry
I have history major bachelor and thats literally it, zero skills whatsoever
>>
Something something journey of a thousand miles begins with a single foot step.

You don't just break in the industry. You build a portfolio and try to break in anywhere you can, or you can self publish and hope something just clicks. Either way you're not doing much just shitposting. I was a history/English major with a dose of teaching and I have scripts for an animated series im working on that get edited at least once a day (hoping to build some storyboards and get a real pitch together), not to mention non-cartoon stuff I'm trying to get published. Regardless of what you want to do, you need to make the effort and put your work out there
>>
>>88872189
How old are you?
>>
Do you have family in the industry? Is your family rich? Can you draw? CalArts?

if you don't have anyone one of those than no. Even though you do make it a bunch of men in suits would butcher you dreams so forget.
>>
>>88872247
Judging from context, 20-30
>>
>>88872290
>Do you have family in the industry? Is your family rich?
this is pretty much it, op. welcome to capitalism.

just self publish, try to not put out garbage, slowly cultivate an audience over time and keep working a real job to pay your bills.
>>
How did Hirsch do it?
>>
>>88872382
He came straight outta CalArts.
>>
>>88871988
Get gud and do a webcomic.
>>
>>88872599
I checked Daron Nefcy too.
She came of calarts too.
Fuck I'm depressed now.
>>
>>88872633
>>88872599
>>88872382
And Tartakovsky
And Ward
And Lauren Faust

Goddamn I have to kill myself
>>
>>88872633
>>88872713
Depressing indeed. CalArts and money are the key to enter the industry. It's why I quit a long time ago.
>>
File: 1447984033328.png (213KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
1447984033328.png
213KB, 500x382px
>>88872316
>>88872316

23, and I've sent a handful of things out to a couple publishers while also trying to prep things for self-publishing. I have things published through a job from when I was still in school.

If you're serious about breaking into the industry in whatever way you can and you can't answer yes to >>88872290, your only hope as a major contributor/creator of an animated feature would be to build your repertoire through >>88872359
and hope to god you somehow make the right connections at the right time. We don't all get to be Stephen Hillenburg but that shouldnt stop you from preparing and crossing your fingers. Hillenburg was 29 when he enrolled in Calarts, and his first major gig (Rockos) wasn't until he was 32.
>>
>>88872790
>23
Impressive progress. Shame some don't make it because surviving becomes more important than dreams.
>>
Culture is too fractured these days to put stock in your only outlet for recognition through major network publication. Getting a following and being able to profoundly influence people through a medium you're passionate about is both harder and easier than ever. Easier because there's a greater opportunity for recognition outside of just what people see on TV, but harder because everyone else has the exact same opportunity, so it comes down to luck and effort.
>>
>>88872869
It's really not though, but I'm back into a swing of things now. I quit writing after graduation, but I'm back at it and really putting hope that I can get something together that i'm happy enough to put out for public criticism, enjoyment, and critique. It feels shitty that I haven't done anything of decent substance yet because I didn't ride the social media train route of self-publishing, but I like to think as internet use continues to expand and evolve that more people will move beyond weather checking and basic social competition. Really the only thing I can hope for is that when I finally put my creations out to the world, is that it improves just one persons outlook. It's all I really want
>>
File: just give up.gif (162KB, 390x219px) Image search: [Google]
just give up.gif
162KB, 390x219px
>I want to get a job in a highly competitive field that I have zero experience and skill in

It's not gonna happen.
You COULD build up a portfolio and hope you get noticed, but considering how you already said you have no skills, that's not gonna happen anytime soon.
>>
>>88873055
Dubs have spoken.
>>
>>88873047
Well, good luck in your progress. You are ambitious. Also, are you making a book? Sounds like a book.
>>
>>88871988
Draw.

Draw alot

Get a good job for now. Something that will pay you nicley

Take lessons from the internet. Never pay for classes unless you Absolutley know you could not learn it online

Sketch, take advice, get a Tumblr.

Once, or if you get a sizable following, kick off a patreon

Then start doing free requests. Do art of popular shows.

While you do this learn some stuff about animation

Then start learning the basics of writing.
Learn how to write and you should be good

Then make a short animation with a story.

You can go to a con and actually pitch your idea, all you need is an animation of semi decent length
>>
>>88873262
Name one asshole that made it through this process. Nearly every creator came from CalArts or were wealthy enough cheat through life.
>>
>>88873316
I know Im stretching it.

There was that one tumblr girl. Zuke I think. She only drew fan art of Steven Universe and got lucky enough to actually get hired to be a storyboard artist and she was even a writer. Although she blew it and got fired.
>>
>>88873055
>competitive
Not really. If you are rich.
>>
>>88873378
Kek. Why?
>>
>>88873232
The self-publish is a book. I really like the flexibility and ease of access a self-published format like wordpress offers for large format publishing. There's a lot of hoops to jump through to get into major publishing houses, and my editing skills still leave a lot to be desired. I'm not in it for the money, just the opportunity to share what I create in hopes of making a connection to someones life in a positive way.

Though if anyone here is looking for advice on how to be a Hirsh, McCracken, Nefcy, or Faust, you might as well give up because chances are you're not gonna be.
>>
>>88873479
She tried to force a ship into the story. Rebecca told her numerous times to stop, and even when she told not to Zuke still did, mainly when it came to the episodes where she was writing

She complained on her Blog about how she grew to hate Rebecca because she couldn't write in her "Healthy Queer Relationship"

All of this led to her quietly getting fired
>>
>>88873609
Dumb bitch. She could have taken the money and the pleasure of producing a series but she played herself. Pathetic.
>>
>>88873600
Everyone here mostly don't wish to be shit in the industry and never imagine themselves doing it.
>>
>>88873600
Hope to read your book one day.
>>
>>88873609
>Rebecca told her numerous times to stop
If someone was going force gay shit into SU, it's going to be the one and only Rebecca Sugar
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.