[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Marvel allow this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: absolute madman.png (583KB, 872x840px) Image search: [Google]
absolute madman.png
583KB, 872x840px
How did Marvel allow this?
>>
Paul was being a nigger. Seems fair to me.
>>
>>88816706
Read the rest of the fucking comic that single panel was in and you'd understand the context and why it was justified, you colossal pillock.
>>
>>88816706
It was a different time
>>
>>88816706
1. The society wasn't as pussified as it is now and rightfully didn't consider words offensive
2. Marvel wasn't as far to th left as it is now
>>
Because he was a nigger.
>>
>>88816748
>Paul

Proof /pol/ cannot read even the simplest of literature.
>>
>>88817645
>and rightfully didn't consider words offensive

History fail.
>>
>>88816706
Kitty is Jewish, so she's allowed to say whatever she wants.
/s
>>
>>88817786
I am not saying that people never got offended by mere words before recent years, I'm saying that if just words are enough to offend you, you are a pussy.
>>
>>88816706
I can't believe she talked to Prince like that.
>>
>>88817846
Looks nothing like Prince desu
>>
>>88817825
You seem kinda triggered.
>>
>>88817888
Yeah, a bit. The whole PC thing went way to far.
>>
>>88817916
>Yeah, a bit.

So, then, by your own definition, you are a pussy?
>>
>>88817778
>le /pol/ maymay
>>
>>88816706
X-Men has always been a metaphor for marginalized segments of society, and at the time this was written they were mainly a cipher for gay people. So Kitty is basically saying 'if you call me a fag, why shouldn't I call you a nigger?'. It's equivocating the terms as epithets.
>>
>>88817846
No, dummy, that's Lionel Richie.
>>
>>88818099
The issue comes when some group tries to say "their word" is worse off than other groups worlds.
There are two ways of thinking in this situation...
1. Every word is "equal" in weight.
>Nigger
>Spick
>Cracker
>Aryan
>Fag
>Gook
>They are all equally offensive and to say one is "worse" than any other is a disservice to all those other races/cultures.

2. They're not all created equal. Some words are more considered more offensive than others. This is determined by society and culture. Society and culture is always changing. Therefore, the "weight" of the word is always in flux. Good like coming to a common consensus as the hierarchy for those words should be.
>>
>>88818469
I think there's an explored topic with this. Like most racial slurs, "nigger" just sounds kinda unpleasant to say. If you took out any historical context from your brain, it would still sound bad. Too many harsh consonant sounds. See kike, spic, and gook. Harsh "g" and "k" sounds. Which is the point of slurs, they're supposed to sound bad. We make a connection with the movement of our mouths and the feeling the words evoke. "Cut" sounds bad for the same reason. Nigga rolls off the tongue better.
>>
>>88818658
You're focusing a lot on the phonology of language. Every language is constructed according to a specific set of rules for how the sounds of a language can be combined with one another. Curse words are no different and we can pick up on the recurring phonemes (hard consonant sounds). I wonder if individuals in other languages can do the same (probably so).
>>
>>88817801
>Kitty is Jewish, so she's allowed to say whatever she wants
hmm
>>
>>88816706

The N-word didn't become 100% completely unacceptable to be used until the OJ Simpson trial.

It was always a slur but it was just another slur like beaner or chink or frog or gook, these words could be used and referenced outside of their slur nature. The media was forced to deal with the word in the trial, of whether or not the cop when investigated OJ, Mark Fuhrman, had ever used the word nigger before. But the media was uncomfortable with using the word itself even outside of its slur context so they started calling it the "n-word". Thats all it took, the word when from insulting to Forboten, the word that will not be used.

Kitty didn't use the word here as a slur, she didnt call the guy a nigger. She asked if he was ok with the slur "mutie" if he was equally ok with the word nigger. You gotta understand the post-OJ view of the word just wasn't present here, it was ok for Kitty to use the word when not aiming it as a slur. Don't mistake "different times" for "more racist times", the word was always racist but it wasn't as charged as it became.

So culture, especially white culture, loaded the word with so much power that rappers adopted it for themselves. I think that bestowed power is starting to wear off and the realization that its just another slur, that the word has no power in and of itself, using the word not as a slur isn't inherently evil.

("cunt" seems to be coming into more accepted usage in the US, partially from the internet- globalization of more australian contact where the word is practically a term of endearment. but it used to be the female equivalent of the n-word, not allowed to be used even when used not as a slur)
>>
>>88818039
Not really, I am dissatisfied by the way people behave. I don't like it, I am not offended.
>>
still can't believe no one has edited this so he's calling her a kike or a jew instead of a mutie
>>
>>88817825
>>88817888
>>88817916
>>88818039
>>88819260
Sad!
>>
File: today OP was not a faggot.png (978KB, 1132x851px) Image search: [Google]
today OP was not a faggot.png
978KB, 1132x851px
>>88819600
I would, but relettering is boring.
>>
>new coloring
>>
>>88816706
Raimiposting is going too far this time.
>>
>>88817645
Brah, the entire point of the OP pic is that they did take offense. Don't be retarded.
>>
>>88817645
>Marvel
>Left

You don't even know what "Left" is.
>>
>>88818658
I don't know, "honkey" sounds fine, almost affectionate.
>>
>>88821175
It's all relative anon, don't be mean to the Americans.
>>
Anyone get tired how the X-Men have to constantly compare themselves to racism? Pretty ever since they were created they'll been the poor nigger slaves who don't get human rights. Gets annoying after a while.
>>
>>88821749
I mean thats their schtick, thats like asking "anyone tired of Disney making cartoons".
>>
>>88819260
Whatever lets you sleep at night, pussy.
>>
>>88821749
unfortunately, the nature of X-Men comics is that they don't have a definite ending, so there's no "win" state for their struggle. if they ever got what they were fighting for, the series would be over.
>>
>>88816706
Marvel also allowed drinking, smoking, and rape slip by as late as the 1990s. I blame Joe Quesada for neutering Marvel Comics. Warren Ellis' original script for his first issue of Astonishing X-Men #25 had Wolverine coming down from smoking marijuana. He had to change that to hemp wine because he was emailed a memo that drugs weren't acceptable in Marvel Comics. Ellis scoffed, changed the script, and went on with his day.
>>
>>88816706

Because before the movies really took off, comics could have a spine because twitter thought police weren't a thing.
>>
>>88817645
liberals are not leftists, anon
>>
>>88821295
> Meet nice black girl
>7/10 wants to be nurse or vet tech
>Really, REALLY into role play and talking dirty
>will never call her a cocksucking nigger whore again while she calls me a red neck honkey
>never learn what a jive turkey is because that pissed her off for some reason

It hurts.
>>
>>88817645
>Marvel wasn't as far to th left as it is now
Why must you turn my board into a house of lies?
>>
>>88827732
>never learn what a jive turkey is
Look in the mirror.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.