[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Iceman a ghey

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 3659918-2132552740-North.jpg (23KB, 400x292px) Image search: [Google]
3659918-2132552740-North.jpg
23KB, 400x292px
Okay, having looked up the character's history...

Why is this such a big deal, again? It's not without precedent. And his prior relationships all sound pretty suspicious.
>>
File: 555-come-on-now.jpg (78KB, 338x305px) Image search: [Google]
555-come-on-now.jpg
78KB, 338x305px
>>88811428
>...

Nice try kid but you cant b8 /co/ that easily
>>
>>88811450
What b8 good sir?
I'm dead serious.
>>
>>88811428
OK. Pretending that this isn't bait...

The biggest reasons could be how it was done and by who.
>>
>>88811428
Bendis pls
>>
>>88811450
>b8 /co/ that easily
Why you say such a blatant lie
>>
>>88811428
Bobby is a womanizer, he serial dates women but isn't serious about the relationships. This is a thing straight men do and bendis's desperate attempt to earn progressive brownie points and somehow spontaneously metamorphisize into a black man won't change that.
>>
Because Bendis did it, dummy.
>>
>>88812191
Lobdell? Gillis? Austen?
>>88812135
>>88812297
I can understand this. Thanks /co/.
>>
I've liked iceman since I was a kid. Him being gay doesn't change anything.
>>
>>88811428
First thing, the way it was handled: With Bendis there's (as usual) shock for the sake of shock, instead of organic development.

Second, what it retcons the character into, at the very least it turns him into being very dumb (after 50 years of existance still not sure about his sexuality), or into an dishonest liar (50 years worth of betrayed "girlfriends"). Would have been better if old iceman was aware of himself, and perhaps bi instead of "just" gay.

I think I could very well have lived with young iceman getting the hots for a guy, and aftzer some hesitation confronts his older self about "their" feelings. "Are we gay?" - "Uhm. This might not fit into our 1960s-brain, but there's not only straight and gay. Most people I've dated were girls, but I also like men. Short version: Don't feel restriced to one gender when looking for love.".

But no, as usual for Bendis, it's once again the opposite of "show, don't tell": People talking about it, instead of seeing something happening. The only thing "consistent" about it, was young Jean coming off as an insesitive bitch, like she was the whole run of Bendis' X-Men (which is also, why the /co/-edit of Jean brainwashing bobby into being gay, feels actually more organic then the original scene).
>>
File: icemangaycrop13.jpg (67KB, 616x263px) Image search: [Google]
icemangaycrop13.jpg
67KB, 616x263px
>>88812607
>or into an dishonest liar (50 years worth of betrayed "girlfriends")
Given who some of those girlfriends were and how the relationships ended up this isn't really surprising desu.
Denial's been a recurring theme of his character.

That said, yeah. Bendis ain't subtle.
>>
>>88812135
Or the biggest reason could be a character that is older than anyone who posts here, who has been straight for the entirety of his existence, being made retroactively gay. For no reason anyone can see, other than a fleeting trend of feigning solidarity with people that identify themselves by their alternative sexual presences, and the minor bump of mainstream appeal it might bring to a dying media.

Obviously you are baiting, or your mind is so progressively open, that you feel this switch in identity politics for an established character shouldn't affect how anyone perceives the character. Too which I would counter, then why do it at all?

tl;dr no u, faggot
>>
>>88813236
t. someone who's never read the character
>>
>>88811428
I know you're either baiting or haven't actually read anything but I might as well go along with it.
There are a great many reasons but it certainly wasn't helped by the fact that the retcon in question was written in such a way that the default response by everyone reading it was "Did Jean Grey just mindrape Bobby into being a homo out of jealousy because he was attracted to women other than her?"
Then afterwards when Bendis wrote the regular Bobby as coming out it made it look even MORE like Jean Grey forced him to become gay.
It singlehandedly memed Young Jean Grey into turning men homo for entertainment. You might think it's a joke with no basis now but that's what Iceman being gay was for all those years with even less evidence.
>>
>>88813330
I'm 36. I grew up with swinging bachelor Bobby on Saturday morning cartoons. I've read close to every Claremont era X-men comic and O5 X-factor issue. I survived the shitty edginess of late 90s Iceman that can't become human,and the AoA inspired "design" changes.

But you're right about one thing, I've never read gay Bobby.
>>
>>88812191
>Bobby is a womanizer, he serial dates women but isn't serious about the relationships.
That's not it. As his relationship with Opal showed, his problem is two-fold: he's immature and thus kind of self-sabotages because of it. The superhero lifestyle also gets in the way of any relationships he might have. Almost all of his relationships end because the woman gets fed up with both of these and dumps him.

Still not gay though of course and OP's pic, while bait, is missing out on the point which is that Iceman was uncomfortable with Northstar's flirting due to not being gay and Annie in general being a nosy cunt.
>>
>>88811428
People don't like retcons (in general). They especially don't like hamfisted retcons and, damn, Bendis' pioneered a whole new league of hamfisted here.

I think the end result isn't satisfying for anybody. Neither for those who like character continuity,, not for the ones who find gays icky, not even for the ones who always suspected the character being gay, Coming out, forced by invasion of his privacy, instead of his own terms, surely felt like the way to go. For nobody, but Bendis.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.