[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It seems like everyone hated the twist of Amon being a blood

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (72KB, 620x348px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 620x348px
It seems like everyone hated the twist of Amon being a blood bender. What would you have done with his character if you had creative control over the series.
>>
>>88808807
Nothing. I liked the twist.
>>
I would have kept it in one thread.

>>88807442

And I would have another series about Aang and his time if I only was guaranteed 12 episodes and I didn't have any writers on my team.
>>
>>88808807
Made his story not bullshit and have the spirit who gave him his antibending be Koh.
>>
>>88808807
Make it actually turn out that spirits gave him his ability to remove bending
>>
>>88808859
>>88808889
>>
>>88808807
He was actually a spirit trying to restore balance because it felt the Avatar had failed.
>>
>>88808933

Shit this is p. good actually
>>
>>88808807
He's face is actually burned.
He did it to himself. Deliberately.
>>
>>88808859
>>88808889
>>88808900
What they said or >>88808933.

Also, a tv movie to bridge the gap between series and to properly introduce or foreshadow Amon's real identity.
>>
File: Lieutenant.png (125KB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
Lieutenant.png
125KB, 444x250px
Why did the Equalists never show up after season one? Their whole "Benders are oppressing us!" rang a little hollow in season one, but the next three seasons is almost nothing but bending assholes ruining shit on a global scale and the chi blocking badasses are nowhere to be seen.
>>
File: 1482499681010.png (431KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
1482499681010.png
431KB, 640x478px
>>88808933
That would have been good on multiple levels.

As a threat it would have made him much more scary thst he's not just a dude, he's a fucking spirit manifesting itself to the masses like that.

As a source of conflict itactually would've been really biting that korra's first major villain after a season setting her up to be this headstrong hubris filled fool is someone essentially above her going "you're a fuck up and you're fucking up" and that would make the conflict a lot more internal than just beating up a bad guy, you could have even had multiple characters like that building up to the idea that like a good chunk of the spirit world just flat out thinks she sucks, launching her on a quest to find more spiritual balance.

It would have also given the setting a lot more weight to be this industrialized place where spiritualism is slowly being killed off by raw capitalism and mechanical progress and how spiritualism actually doesn't have a place in the world like it used to, thus making her spiritual journey a lot more difficult.

They could've done a lot with this series if they had just accepted that korra was a flawed character and instead of trying to justify her being flawed, if they actually used those flaws and worked it to their advantage to make a more interesting and fitting story.
>>
Nothing.
Amon was shit before the reveal, and he was shit after it. There was nothing salvageable about him.
>>
>>88808859
That's even more of a pandering asspull than him just being a waterbender. You know this villain who existed for a very specific purpose? Let's retcon that because he was popular with the fans.
>>
>>88809395
I do wish there'd been at least one primary antagonist who wasn't a bender.
>>
Have it turn out it was all just a dream. I don't mean Korra or any other character was dreaming. I mean us. We get to wake up, grateful with the realization it didn't air.
>>
>>88809395
Because their grievance of being underrepresented blew up on itself not only with their cult of personality leader being an obscenely strong bender, but with a non-bender getting elected as leader of Republic City.
>>
>>88808807
Just some normal guy who learned chi blocking and was 100% sincere in his belief about bending being bad
>>
>>88809542
Your argument doesn't make sense. The whole idea of this thread is how you would have done Amon differently. It's not a retcon if it's your original plan for the character. Also, why would Koh granting Amon his power have been an asspull? ATLA established that spirits can grant the avatar energy-bending. Koh is a spirit. He also steals faces, which would have explained Amon's mask.
Next time, before you shit on someone else's idea, why don't you try pulling your head out of your ass?
>>
Amon was far more screwed up and compelling as a guy who sincerely believed he had to use bloodbending to alter someone's flow of chi to rid the world of benders because of the shit he lived through and was dedicated enough to keep doing it until he succeeded or until he got stopped.
>>
This guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmKaQqinWKY

manages to articulate why Amon was an interesting villain and how his potential was squandered...

It's a shame that the creator is completely incapable of presenting his arguments in a concise, convincing manner...

He spreads his points across four separate videos, which collectively have a run-time approaching ninety minutes, the bulk of that time dedicated to various 'jokes'...
>>
>>88809395
This, I felt a lot went into establishing them only for them to just return to their home planet.

Pure fan fiction but I wanted the build up of Asami to be the final villain, have her be some sort of man made Avatar.
>>
>>88809659
Not spirits. Turtle lions. Only turtle lions. Koh wasn't shown to do that, or to care to interfere with the human world, or to suddenly stop doing his gimmick of only being interested in killing people for showing the slightest bit of emotion.

"So let's grab this ATLA character and drastically change their character and powerset because he's popular and fans love callbacks"
>>
He was an actual, misfigured regular man who is super fucking angry at benders because of his family and himself being attacked. He would clearly have justified reasons for his anger and extremist views against benders, but also clearly taking things way to far.

He would of course be the silent, intimidating and creepy individual he was before hand, and rarely taking matters into his own hands, but the moment when he finally steps up to fight he shows just how nightmarishly strong he is, even when he is just a normal man. Despite all his followers being Chi blockers, Amon would resort to pressure points that induce intense, crippling pain, rather than rob people of their bending, because he wants to see the benders suffering while still able to fight, to see that their bending can save them.

I would establish his threat by having him go up against Bolin, Mako and Lin at once and curb stomping them, and even fighting evenly with Korra, showing that his obsession has turned him into a monster capable of even fighting the Avatar. He would not hesitate to kidnap and threaten Tenzin and his family, or torture Korra. His face would never be fully revealed, just Korra seeing it off screen and being horrified by it.

Not sure how I would end it, maybe have Korra finally beat him in one on one combat and tapping into her Avatar powers, and Amon getting crushed, possibly paralyzed even, and deciding to take his own life, but maybe having the last laugh as he feels Korra and her allies only made his point clearer, by being benders and using their strength to snuff out his movement, before blowing himself up or jumping off something to his death
>>
It wasn't the fact that he was a blood bender. It was just how they wrote his character.

His demise was terribly written. I didn't like the fact that smart and cunning amon would simply create a huge as fuck column. I didn't like the fact that Tarrlok was his brother because it seemed quite obvious that the writers couldn't figure out a way to write Amon's backstory.

Also, the painted on scar was terrible. Just terrible. It would have been smarter to say that he burned himself for his cause.

It was like they took a very intimidating figure with good intentions into a scooby doo villain.
>>
>>88808807
Wait a minute. At the end of season 1, Korra learns spirit bending. Does she ever use it again?
>>
>>88809676
>Attempts to be RLM lite
>A number of his points are "it's different so its dumb"
Korra had a lot of problems, but a few of his points are just nitpicking
>>
File: offer.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
offer.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
I would've liked Tarrlok to stick around as a foe longer than he did. I think it would've been interesting to see Tarrlok, Amon and Korra in a Mexican standoff and exchanging some words about their motivations. I was hoping to see Amon trying to reach out to Korra in an attempt to get the avatar to join his cause, making her stop and doubt herself. IMO one of the most intense scenes was that time when Tarrlok said he admired Korra because he saw her as the exact same kind of bully as he was. I would've liked them to go a bit further with that; having Korra question who's the villain of the story, why, and whether her actions are justified.

The whole thing about Amon's scars being painted felt silly. I wish he either had been scarred by another bender and that incident fueled his hatred, or that he was determined and insane enough to burn his own face just so he can manipulate people's sympathies.

The bloodbender reveal was a letdown but I don't think it was the worst part. I was more upset about Tarrlok being his brother, it was cheesy. It also meant that the heart of the story was not about Korra trying to save the city; it was about these two brothers and their relationship with their father. But that story was told pretty badly because the POV character was too far away from all the important events.

Noatak and Tarrlok would've worked better if their personalities had been switched. Like, Noatak's the weak soft brother while Tarrlok's the cold and unemotional one. The idea of Noatak being both passionate about equality but also very detached felt a bit off.
>>
>>88809426
But then this polt shoul happen in the last season. First three is bender fucking everything up and the last is rise of the plebs with what you discribed
>>
>>88810126
I just realized that I wanted a Zero and was shown a Zero at first and then got nothing like that at all.
>>
File: thank you great uniter.jpg (203KB, 649x729px) Image search: [Google]
thank you great uniter.jpg
203KB, 649x729px
>>88808807
I would have completely revamped the story so there's actually a consistent arc between seasons. Of course that would mean that they would have had to plan the show out ahead of time, and there would be more episodes per season.

The Red Lotus becomes the main "villain faction" for the entire show. Their goal is the same as before, to destroy the Avatar and end the cycle. The Equalists are actually secretly run by the Red Lotus. Amon is an agent of the Red Lotus, and he really did get his powers from a spirit (Vaatu). Unalaq's role is similar to the original except he's a lot more sympathetic, his role in the Red Lotus is more clearly defined, and he doesn't fuse with Vaatu. Zaheer becomes a recurring antagonist similar to Azula. Kuvira becomes involved in a long-running Earth Kingdom subplot which culminates in the formation of the Earth Empire.

Book 1: Starts similar to the original but Korra doesn't stay entirely within Republic City, there's no sports or love triangle plots, and it ends with Korra losing her bending and her connection to previous Avatars (there's no Aang deus ex machina).
Book 2: Korra must travel the world and re-discover her past lives. Each episode somehow involves a different Avatar. Wan is especially prominent and his plot ties into the main story.
Book 3: With her Avatar powers regained, Korra must now deal with both the Red Lotus and the newly formed Earth Empire, and find a way to forge a compromise between all sides.
Book 4: Doesn't need to exist.

And in this show the Fire Nation would appear for more than five seconds.
>>
>>88809715
I'd do something similar. Also have the advent of firearms occurring. Similar to real life, the firearm equalises the odds between a bender and some angry peasants with guns.

Amon gets defeated but the only people who know of his really horrific crimes are the leadership of the benders. The culmination is Korra's public defeat and (apparent) murder of Amon.

Sets up S2 and 3 for Korra's redemption cycle after putting the world on course for civil war. Asami and Korra become close friends near the start of S1 but Asami starts supplying the Equalists with technology.

Equalists split into two factions, one led by a hard core Rosspierre character, who wants a full on revolution and purge of Benders, and other more moderate. Korra has to persuade the Bender elite and the Moderates to reunite and work together as equals, while facing down radicals on both sides.
>>
Is the Korra game story canon?
>>
Why did people like Amon in the first place?
He was a generic masked evil guy with no personality and a tacked-on motivation that would make sense if the series bothered to put more effort into making some benders seem oppressive.
>>
>>88811117
Interesting concept, being able to remove bending is spooky, and voiced by Steve Blum.
>>
Explain how bloodbending = being able to block the spiritual energy of one's self.

Also if he must be a bender drop the OC darth vader "psychic bloodbending" shit and just make him a really powerful bloodbender.
>>
>>88811117
He presented an interesting idea to the world of Avatar; what if non-benders began turning on benders? Because every war started as shown in The Last Airbender was the result of benders imposing themselves over others using their powers.
>>
Nothing wrong with bloodbending
>>
>>88811086
It could build up to having the super quirky bender gang show up just when Korra is finally calming both sides down only for them to destroy and calm that was built up
>>
>>88811117
If he had run the course of his original, theorized concept, he would have been a really cool antagonist. A radical, anti-bender who was scarred and lost everything he loved, and turned it to hate and let it drive him to become something that could threaten even the Avatar, and seeing a non-bender, who was so skilled at fighting and chi-blocking that he could actually go toe to toe with multiple Benders, master benders and even fighting the Avatar would have been amazing. It could have been sort of like General Grevious back in the Clone Wars series, where he was quiet, intimidating, and when he came at you, he was like a freight train, running through people without letting anyone get breather, just beating them down and then shutting them down, forever.
>>
>Ctrl + F Azula lightning
>0 results
Everyone has shit taste except me.

I always loved the idea of Amon being the anti-avatar, if you will. Created when Aang "died" at the hands of Azula's lightning bolt in season 2.
>>
>>88811177
Nothing wrong with bloodbending

Everything wrong with breaking pre-established concepts, rules and set ups so your villain can force choke people
>>
>>88811293
Thats dumb. Why would an anti-avatar be created in response to the Avatar's death, when it's never occurred to any of the other Avatars. What would be the logic or purpose behind such a thing?
>Nature: Ah shit, Avatar done got killed, better brew up an anti-Avatar to ruin life for everyone like fifty years later.
>>
>>88811318
Because it was the first Avatar to die while in the Avatar state, so there was no precedent for it.
Also
>trying to figure out why spirits do anything
Stop that. It's pointless.
>>
>>88811334
Before hand none of the spirits, let alone nature itself, did anything out of left field. Making an anti-avatar because Aang died in the avatar state, only for the anti-avatar to show up like fifty years later to stir things up in an extremist anti-bender organization is silly, anon, it's just silly.
>>
>>88811350
>did anything out of left field
They do them all the fucking time. Did you even watch Korra?
>fifty years later to stir things up in an extremist...
Except that would be up to the individual, not the avatar-ness.
>>
>>88811361
Not him but anon your idea makes no fucking sense and I don't even get why you're trying to argue when logic is clearly not a high priority for you.
>>
>>88811361
Korra is not a good representation of Avatar-verse spirits.
>>
Anyone else wanted Asami to be the final villain? A man made Avatar a la Iron Man Adam Jensen?
>>
File: LaughingWolfSpirit.gif (814KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
LaughingWolfSpirit.gif
814KB, 300x225px
>>88811318
>spirits
>logic
>>
>>88809741
unless you count her turning into a giant blue woman in season 2. Also the whole introduction of the first avatar and the spirit Rava really ruined the show for me. Sometimes, less is more. Took the whole George Lucas approach with that one.
>>
>>88809741
I'd say no, but she learns a new style of spiritbending in season 2, which kinda ruins the whole bridge between worlds deal since you can just bend spirits away apparently.
>>
>>88809741
she uses it in season 3 to try and get rid of the spirit vines, it makes the situation worse
>>
>>88814816
ignore this post, you meant energybending, I thought you mean the spirally water thing from season2
>>
>>88814792
>which kinda ruins the whole bridge between worlds deal since you can just bend spirits away apparently.
As opposed to just using the Avatar State like Aang did in the comics to pierce a hole through that Old Iron spirit. Or punch a fish in the face a la Zhao.
>>
>>88808807
Energy Bender.

He has actual conviction and a tragic past where the Fire Empire wiped out his family and saw them killed. Runs away, gets taken in by monks war, war is won, goes home finds everything in ruins and the Earth Empire being cunts and extorting taxes, powerless he cannot do anything. Gets taken prisoner and runs into the lion turtle on the sea where he falls over board and learns from the turtle
>>
>>88814816
>she uses it in season 3 to try and get rid of the spirit vines, it makes the situation worse
>uses it on the embodiment of Chaos and Destruction in its Ascended Form
>banishes it
>uses it on random vines
>they grow back
>meanwhile Varrick can apparently harvest them with no consequences and Mako can lightning them and it works out for Mako to the point where nothing bad happens

If the writers hated Korra so much why didn't they just tell Nick to fuck off and they didn't want to do animation anymore?
>>
>>88814854
I didn't really like Aang fighting Old Iron, but he didn't solve the problem Old Iron had and he didn't pretend like he did. And Zhao created a huge problem by killing the fish.

What is the point of negotiating with spirits or even listening to them when you can just bend them and solve whatever problem they caused or were reacting to?
>>
>>88814854
>>88814931
Not to mention that Korra learned it from Unalaq which suggests that any waterbender has the potential to do it further trivialising the importance of the Avatar as the bridge between worlds.
>>
>>88808807
Make him the Avatar instead.
He's achieving balance in the world by taking away all the bending. An avatar as a villian would've been great as a concept
>>
>>88814976
>Not to mention that Korra learned it from Unalaq which suggests that any waterbender has the potential to do it further trivialising the importance of the Avatar as the bridge between worlds.
I thought that's one of the things that /co/ wanted from LoK. The antagonists winning and changing the world and beating Korra up and showing that humanity can decide for themselves and the Avatar is a relic and isn't needed unless one guy (Fire Lord from AtLA) gets too big for his britches and tries to take over the whole world. And then they are forgotten and discarded again and bending doesn't matter.

Because the threads that sprang up once LoK debuted seem geared towards this mindset.
>>
The twist wasn't bad at all, but him wearing make-up was retarded. All that puffy burn shit around his lips? Just make-up that washes off.

There was no reason for everyone to suddenly turn on him when it's revealed he's a bender. A lot of his ideals still had merit.
>>
>>88814931
>What is the point of negotiating with spirits or even listening to them when you can just bend them and solve whatever problem they caused or were reacting to?
Those spirits were shown as corrupted. Which is weird since Hei Bei, that panda spirit, can switch between angry mode and normal mode on its own. A spirit that is too far gone is a threat so is bent away.
The problem spirits in RC weren't bent away though, their freeloading wasn't met with extermination.
>>
>>88815090
>A lot of his ideals still had merit.
He had one ideal which is remove all bending forever permanently. He provided nothing else in place of that one thing.
>>
>>88811088
Korras show is barely canon
>>
This board is filled With terrible fanfiction tier writers
>>
>>88815185
So, perfect for Korra?
>>
>>88809684
IT'S LION
FUCKING
TURTLES

SHOWS HOW MUCH YOU KNOW YOU PLEBIAN SHITSTIN
>>
>>88815057
I don't know about /co/, but i thought it would have been nice to have the Avatar be important in spiritual matters if nothing else. But if any waterbender can potentially take the Avatars place then what's the point of having them in the first place? It seemed to be a point made in the show aswell that the Avatar was important in relation to spirits and dealing with them. But the actions in the show says otherwise which i think is a shame.

>>88815102
I mean Aang can beat up Old Iron, but that won't solve the central issue Old Iron had which i think was pollution. It was pollution that "corruptet" him.

Korra did attempt to bend away the vines and it did work somewhat so i don't think they need to be "corruptet" to be bent away. And it also felt like those in RC had to stay to prove that Korras choice to merge the worlds was right (even though i don't think that worked out very well).
>>
>Go back in time instead of forward to prevent circle-jerking over angs crew
>Start off with 8+ major towns every elements gets 2 or more
>smaller towns pay tribute to larger ones for protection
>people stop paying and causes a cival war shitstorm
>story revolves around past competently new avatar never mentioned before that talks a lot
>go through learning story give avatar a very fast animal to travel around on
>new avatars crew forms with bad-asses from everywhere around the world
>eventually avatar stops the civil wars and the 4 nations happen
>sub plots would include forming of the white lotus, helping spirits, and generic save the towns fighting episodes
>ends with avatar creating the cycle of what nation the avatar is born into since that is the last thing people have to argue about
>teaches that our society is created around fair trading and that anything can be resolved with talking it out
>>
>>88811293

You put "died" in quotations because you think she really didn't kill Aang right?
>>
>>88815090
Having him burn his own face would've made him seem hardcore as fuck.
And nah, he was just scapegoating Benders to appeal to dissatisfied Nonbenders and eventually his terrorism lead to the oppression he spoke of at the hands of a man cut from the same cloth as him. And he lead to an even more brutal form of oppression upon the benders.
>>
File: anons.png (709KB, 1280x747px) Image search: [Google]
anons.png
709KB, 1280x747px
this guy was a ripoff of the guy fawkes mask. the whole conceot of him was a ripoff of V for vendetta.. where he was trying to "defeat the government" or rather benders
>>
>>88808807

I would have made the first season about the Triads with Zolt being the main antagonist with the Equalists being mostly background radiation. Amon only directly appears in the last few minutes of the season to utterly destroy the entire Triple Threat Triad by himself.

Then the second season is about dealing with him.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.