[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Characters or runs that that you should get into but you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: PicsArt_12-26-11.20.30.jpg (654KB, 3996x1024px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_12-26-11.20.30.jpg
654KB, 3996x1024px
ITT: Characters or runs that that you should get into but you haven't.

>X-Men

I really don't know where to start with this franchise
>>
>>88685171
Claremont's run. If Claremont's writing style is too wordy/dated for you, then Morrison's run.
>>
>>88685171
Literally everyone
I just read random one shots or limited series.
>>
File: champions001-cover-p_2016.jpg (73KB, 349x524px) Image search: [Google]
champions001-cover-p_2016.jpg
73KB, 349x524px
>>88685171

Champions (2016) is considered the best run by most, I'd recommend starting there.
>>
File: 050911BehaviorTherapy03.png (188KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
050911BehaviorTherapy03.png
188KB, 360x240px
>>88685715
>>
File: Generation_X_002_00.jpg (186KB, 1024x1553px) Image search: [Google]
Generation_X_002_00.jpg
186KB, 1024x1553px
This, WildCATs and that Wildstorm book with golden soldiers.
>>
>>88685171
>I really don't know where to start with this franchise
Giant Size X-Men #1
The X-Men #94 forward
>>
>>88685171
It's not hard. Xmen 141. The Morrison run. Then astonishing xmen, the whedon run. Go from there.
>>
>>88686227
>the whedon run
NOPENOPENOPE
>>
File: 1462924752318.gif (103KB, 458x438px) Image search: [Google]
1462924752318.gif
103KB, 458x438px
>>88686227

>whedon
>>
>>88685171
>I really don't know where to start with this franchise

I can probably help you out there. What do you want to get out of it? There's a bunch of places where you credibly could start, depending on what you'd like. Do you want the sort of "deepest lore" approach, or just kind of want to get caught up on stuff that's currently relevant? Or a "best of" approach which gives you a solid foundation in the stuff that people are most likely to reference in future works? Give me an idea of what you're looking for and I'm sure I can help.
>>
>>88686432
Gimme the top five runs
>>
>>88686325
>>88686367
Whats wrong with Whedon? I swear the anti Whedon circle jerk began right after Age of Ultron didn't meet the unreasonable trillion dollar critical expectations.

What gives? Not all of his Astonishing was shite.
>>
>>88686818

This is really subjective on a number of different levels. What one person thinks is magnificent another person will view as tedious because what they're looking for varies.

This said... Claremont's first run is indisputably the top spot. It's a bit dated now and so huge that it spans multiple decades so it's not necessarily for everyone, but it's so genre-defining that to put it anywhere else would be absurd. It's where almost every major character and plot point in the franchise comes from.

#2 and onwards are so subjective that I'm not going to number them. Take them as you will.

Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force. Despite not having the word "X-Men" in the title, nobody who's ever read this series in its entirety will deny that it deserves a place on this list. About 30 issues long, it's some great storytelling, with a solid beginning, middle and end, which is a rarity in this day and age. It gives us what many consider to be the definitive versions of Fantomex and Deadpool, and what's more? The most engaging version of Psylocke ever.

Then Grant Morrison's New X-Men run. It's about 40 issues or so long and is truly revolutionary. At a time when Marvel was flirting with bankruptcy, Morrison was given free reign to go nuts with Marvel's top book, and what he did was so insane that every other marvel writer was left scrambling to keep up.

Kyle & Yost's New X-Men run. This might be a bit more controversial, but I stand by it: Shortly after the end of Morrison's run, the book "New X-Men: Academy X" began, whose name was shortened just to "New X-Men" when Kyle & Yost took over. The book stars a group of young students during the most tumultous times in the X-Men's history, after 99% of the mutants on the planet had lost their powers and extinction seemed a real possibility. The characters are just so charming and fun, it's impossible not to love them and root for them as they're put through a terrible wringer.
>>
>>88687062
>Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force
M-WORD REEEEEE
>>
File: latest.jpg (368KB, 1595x2394px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
368KB, 1595x2394px
For the new stuff: Start with A vs X, AVX consequences then all new Xmen up to black vortex (and infinity for the inhuman back story if you want) then death of x and you're prepped for current "event".

For the classic stuff, GSXM then uncanny 94 - 317 (stop reading after Phalanx covenant) and pick back up again around house of M forward.
>>
>>88687094
>that time Bendis chewed him out
>>
>>88687062

It's really hard to pick a fifth one because it gets REALLY subjective at this point, depending on what you want out of a series. I could name Spurrier's X-Men Legacy as an outstanding solo book with great drama and great stakes. I could name Peter David's second X-Factor run for delightful character interactions and development. The original Old Man Logan storyline for balls-to-the-wall action. Mike Carey's initial X-Men run for a classically offbeat team which gets put through the same sort of meatgrinder of a story as Claremont would have subjected his to. Without knowing what sorts of stories you enjoy or value it's damned hard to make that last recommendation with total confidence but any of these could make that list depending.
>>
>>88686949
I think that Whedon had a really decent modern run. It all went to hell after it.
>>
>>88687094
Not from Uncanny X-force.
>>
Too much to list.
>X-Men
I have read Claremont and Miller's Wolverine, a little bit of Ultimate X-Men. I also read a few issues of Bendis' All-New X-Men, which I knew nothing of and hated it. I promised myself to read decent stuff and just keeping putting it off.

>Green Lantern
Anything cosmic related really from Marvel or DC.

>The Incredible Hulk
Future Imperfect was one of the first comics I read though.
>>
>Spider-Man
>Wonder Woman
>Thor
>Captain America
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.