[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Coco First Look:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 24

File: tumblr_oiryfw0Mp41qi8pxqo2_1280.jpg (319KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oiryfw0Mp41qi8pxqo2_1280.jpg
319KB, 1280x853px
>Miguel, voiced by newcomer Anthony Gonzalez, is a member of the shoemaking Riveras, your average Mexican family that’s completely banned music for generations. So, maybe not so average. Ever since his great-great-grandmother Imelda was left alone by her husband (who abandoned his family to pursue a life hitting high notes), there’s been a strict no-music ban in the Rivera household, upheld primarily by Miguel’s Abuela (Renee Victor).

>That won’t stop Miguel from pursuing his passion, having grown up idolizing the music and advice of the late singer Ernesto de la Cruz (Benjamin Bratt). In fact, it’s his worship of De La Cruz—and a shocking discovery about him—that’s brought Miguel to the singer’s grave…and you, reader, to EW’s exclusive new first look at Coco.

>In the shot above, you’re catching Miguel in a beautiful, pivotal moment: He’s just committed a literal grave act and borrowed — just borrowed! — the guitar hanging in De La Cruz’s tomb. Unfortunately, it’s Dia de Muertos, and Miguel’s well-intentioned deed of grave robbery is badly-timed, and he’s about to be inadvertently sent to the Land of the Dead, where he’ll come face to face with the same great-great-relatives who banned music in his family. Just guess how happy they’ll be when they find out how he got there.

>Still, don’t call Coco Pixar’s first musical. Director Lee Unkrich (Toy Story 3) says the film isn’t “a break-out-into-song musical,” but rather, one “set against the backdrop of musical performance.” Moreover, it’s not even Unkrich’s first time choreographing at the musical rodeo: “At the end of Toy Story 3, we had this moment where Jessie turns on the boom-box and the Gipsy Kings do a Spanish language version of ‘You’ve Got a Friend in Me.’ Which, it turned out, ended up being a real precursor to this movie."
>>
File: 56.jpg (28KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
56.jpg
28KB, 340x340px
>The result is that Unkrich secured an all-Latino voice cast (including Gael Garcia Bernal as a skeleton named Hector who helps Miguel on his journey in the Land of the Dead) and sought authenticity via numerous story consultants, key crew members and filmmakers (like co-director Adrian Molina), and musical talent culled from artists down in Mexico. Unkrich, Molina, and producer Darla K. Anderson made frequent trips south of the border (in fact, Lasseter approved the film just three weeks before one Dia de Muertos fell, spurring a first-time scramble to not miss out) and soon sent his story artists, production designers, and even sound crew down to take the aesthetic pulse of villages.

>Of interesting note is that in Unkrich’s efforts for cultural authenticity, an unfortunate misstep plagued the earliest announcements of Coco (which is titled after Miguel’s grand-grandmother). In 2013, Disney filed an application to trademark “Dia de Los Muertos,” back when Coco did not have its title, and the studio was harshly criticized for its attempt to co-opt the national holiday. As Unkrich explains, “There was never any conscious effort to try to trademark a holiday because that’s crazy, and we would never try to do that. But it happened, and we regret it, and we’re so sorry for it. And I know for all of us, it affected us really deeply. It was devastating, because we knew what we were trying to do and we had taken on this responsibility of trying to do everything right, and so it really was painful to know that the first public perception of our film had to do with that.”
>>
File: 10945.jpg (2MB, 3000x2479px) Image search: [Google]
10945.jpg
2MB, 3000x2479px
>>88678996
But, he says, good came out of it: “It reinforced our desire to make sure that we reached out to as many experts as we could and to involve as many people in telling this story accurately. This is a story we want to share with the world, but it’s also been particularly important to us that when the Latino community sees the film, that it resonates and it feels like we got it right, and that’s what we’re really trying to do. We all feel the gravity.”
http://ew.com/movies/2016/12/25/coco-first-look-pixar/

This seems like it's going to be a really standard disney film to be honest.
>>
cool! It looks boring, instead you should watch movies like Moana and Frozen.
>>
>>88678967
Is Mexico the only Latino country that's worth making a movie about? South (and central) America barely have any besides Emperors' new groove
>>
>>88678967
Literally The Book Of Life with a kid? Are you fucking kidding Pixar. This has been in development 7 years.
>>
>>88679084
is mexico the new white people
>>
>>88678967
>It's a "Music is my passion" movie
Dropped
>>
File: 1418373024301.png (18KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
1418373024301.png
18KB, 240x200px
>>88678967
So are there going to be any skeleton waifus in this or should I stick with Book of Life?
>>
Why is it called "Coco?"
>>
>>88678967
>your average Mexican family that’s completely banned music for generations
¿Que?
>>
>>88679211
>>88678967
>Coco was just The Book of Life

>Inside Out was just Osmosis Jones
>Cars was just Doc Hollywood
>Finding Nemo was just Pierrot Le Poisson Clown
>Up was just Above Then Beyond
>Toy Story 3 was just The Brave Little Toaster.
>Toy Story was just A Christmas Toy.

Anon...
>>
>>88679879
Must be the new thing. Sing that Laser Eye Dog Guitar Power movie and this. Probably a few lesser ones not on the radar.
>>
>>88678967
The /pol/ in me hates the retarded Day of the Dead that mexicans are always involved in but the /co/ is lusting after that mocha shota
>>
>>88680972
Book of life was funny.
>>
File: jose carioca.jpg (64KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
jose carioca.jpg
64KB, 320x240px
>>88679084
I wouldn't mind something starring this guy again.
>>
>>88678967
Miguel’s well-intentioned deed of grave robbery is badly-timed, and he’s about to be inadvertently sent to the Land of the Dead, where he’ll come face to face with the same great-great-relatives who banned music in his family. Just guess how happy they’ll be when they find out how he got there.

I remember that episode of El Tigre.
>>
>Disney, among others, are trying to wrap their tentacles of massification around dia de los muertos

Is DdlM a holiday corporations shill on extra hard currently, mexifags? Looks like the gringos are making a move on it.
>>
>movie about mexicans
>it's about day of the dead

every time.
>>
>>88681266
It's either that or Luchadores

That said I would be down for more Luchadores fighting monster movies.
>>
>>88679084
South America has Brazil.
>>
>>88678967
I'll reserve my judgement before I see how they portray the Land of the Dead but I'm not really sold on this concept so far. I just have a sinking feeling that it will end up like another Brave and be completely forgettable.
>>
>>88678996
>Gael Garcia Bernal
The guy that kissed Diego Luna in that one movie?
>>
>>88678996
>All-latino voice cast

WTF does this even mean? A white blonde guy from Argentina would be considered a "Latino" by the u.s gov, a "White Latino" because latino isn't a race
>>
>>88681404
The odd thing is that it would be like saying all Asian voice cast for something set in japan. Like where the fuck are you getting the Asians from and why does that even matter in an english language movie?
>>
>>88678967
So... book of life without gods or puppets?
>>
>>88681404
Gael Garcia Bernal is white but just because he's Mexican he counts as PoC I guess
>>
>>88681266
>>88681375
what, you want a movie where tweens with attitude go around the country defeating the 7 deadly pinata sins before they summon their dark god Diablo Robatico
>>
>>88681477
What is this a reference to?
>>
>>88681386
Get to involved climbing up their own ass. Go on a "tour" of Mexico and get drunk of their ass on tequila. Go nowhere near as cool and deep as a half hour kids cartoon did multiple times.
>>
>>88681506
power rangers, the spanish introduction of Christianity to mexico, and the tv show angel
>>
File: 1342377809678.jpg (54KB, 214x294px) Image search: [Google]
1342377809678.jpg
54KB, 214x294px
>>88678967
> family that’s completely banned music for generations

This is the part that bores me.
>>
>>88679084
Guess what, Mexicans are a loud demographic now.
>>
>>88681545
Because the ancestor a few hundred years back got jilted by their significant other.

Fucking hell lets just spoil this damn thing already.

In his quest to follow his idol he'll run into another musician who's a bit down and out because his quest for fame alienated him from his true love and in the Afterlife he seeks to win her back but she won't have anything to do with him.

So Miguel pals up with him to woo back his lady love with the Power of Music and surprise fucking surprise it's Imelda.

They reunite and she appears to her family and they welcome music back into their lives.

Que fucking music montage.
>>
>The average mexican family is composed of poor shoe-makers who ban things like music for generations for retarded reasons
Ah si, I remember when Ponchito wanted to go to college to study electrical engineering but then we rembered that 89 years ago our abuelita touched a wire and got electrocuted so we banned electricity, I guess Ponchito will keep making shoes for the rest of his life until Oaxaca gets conquered and annexed by Guatemala and the chapines kill us all
>>
>>88681477
yes
>>
>>88679084
it's subtle propaganda, by exposing more Mexicans to the US in media the general public ends up being more "accepting" of them
>>
>>88680972
Lion King was just Simba the White Lion
The Little Mermaid was just... Hans Christian Andersen's The Little Mermaid....
>>
>>88681224
>that feel when miss mexican gf because they celebrated de los muertos

it's a nice sentiment, but yeah I'm not surprised at the Disney empire wanting to expand on other cultures shit
>>
>>88681815
Lion King was just Kimba the Lion Hamlet
>>
>>88681815
Lion King was just Hamlet with a Simba the White Lion paintjob.
Wall-E was just both Idiocracy and Short Circuit.
>>
>>88681778
>Oaxaca

Thats explains everything.
Oh poor and miserable Oaxaca, you will never get a chance.
>>
>>88679084
Brazil had that stupid bird movie
>>
File: 920462.jpg (29KB, 305x400px) Image search: [Google]
920462.jpg
29KB, 305x400px
>it's a gringos are trying to simulate the mexican music and let's add dia de muertos for some reason "the movie".

I expect the worse.
>all the music is gonna be a mariachi or ranchero like even when is dia de muertos ( I hope for La llorona at least).
>lets make another shity adaptation of the mexican culture and of course let's sell it to all Latinos because they all are mexicans, fuck Latin america because everyone that speak spanish is a mexican.

Why is always us, why can you bother Canada, or the rest of america they are your neighbors too.
>>
File: 1480733383520.jpg (7KB, 145x130px) Image search: [Google]
1480733383520.jpg
7KB, 145x130px
parents are from South america but i dont consider myself latino

am i latino?
>>
>>88682137
Nah, Latino/a is more of an ethnicity. Your parents are Latinos because they were born in Latin America, and unless you were born there too you're not technically Latino.

If you're referring to race most people of Latino ancestry are mixed.
>>
>>88682137
That depends, have you shot a black kid in self defense any time recently?
>>
File: ap.png (102KB, 522x373px) Image search: [Google]
ap.png
102KB, 522x373px
I'm not really sold on this, at least so far

Everything about us either is
>Dude Dia de Muertos lmao
>Dude Mexican family values lmao

or
>Dude Aztecs lmao

A-Are we really this boring? ;-:

Also we literally had Book of Life some years ago. This is some Antz vs. A Bug's Life bullshit.
>>
>>88682184
i choked one
>>
>>88682220
You should realize that all the other things Mexicans are known for can't be shown in a Disney movie
>>
File: 1471751782235.jpg (109KB, 597x687px) Image search: [Google]
1471751782235.jpg
109KB, 597x687px
>>88682235
I didn't know luchadors were taboo
>>
>>88682227
Honerary Aryan according to CNN

>>88682258
That's like asking for a WWE Disney movie, all the fun bits with the hidden razors, incredibly convoluted stories and midgets have to be taken out
>>
File: MuchaLuchaCast.jpg (91KB, 800x345px) Image search: [Google]
MuchaLuchaCast.jpg
91KB, 800x345px
>>88682258
but there already is cartoon with luchadoros
>>
>>88682297
>IT'S A WAY OF LIFE
>>
>>88678967
Gotta wait a year for qt shota. Look at that pure face. People will probably ship him with Riley.
>>
>>88682489
>not wanting him to yourself
Pleb.
>>
>>88682137
Yes, mijo
>>
>>88678967
>>88678996
>>88679019

One of Moana's problems was that they let the whole "WE WERE EXPLORERS! WE LOVE COCONUTS!" stuff slow the film down and eat up more time we could have had exploring Maui and the monsters he fought.

Telling you endlessly why a culture is so amazing doesn't make for a good story. If a story is told well, you can learn about a culture without even realising it, you don't need to shove it down people's throats.

It also doesn't help that this looks way too similar to Book of the Dead but without the interesting visuals.
>>
File: 140290_RHS_36921.jpg (271KB, 1000x678px) Image search: [Google]
140290_RHS_36921.jpg
271KB, 1000x678px
>>88682489

>Pixar doing shota
>Disney Animation doing loli

To what purpose?
>>
File: ss.jpg (97KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
97KB, 960x640px
>yet another minority pandering feature ordered by disney

i'll pass.
>>
>>88681545
Agreed.

That's an incredibly shitty premise.
>>
>>88682678
Macro too.
>>
>>88679084
Mexico is next to America, American are too retarded and lazy to research about South America so Mexico should be enough for all the spanish speaking people
>>
>>88681545

Me too. At least in Book of Life they showed that he had a family tradition and further that the town musicians were fat useless bar flies. Here it's because generations back a thing happened.

Seriously, this is borderline plagerism from Disney.
>>
>>88681404
Americans can only work with labels, they really try hard to put everyone from mexico to chile in the same box
>>
>>88683030
>>88681545

>thing banned because reasons.

been there done that.
>>
>>88678967
>>88678996
Oh how the mighty have fallen
>>
>>88681432
>and why does that even matter in an english language movie?

>tfw large amounts of Tumblr users were trying to spread the word to not watch Kubo because white voice actors
This is worse when they labelled Boxtrolls as transmiosgynistic
>>
>>88678967
Is this the movie where the executives tried to copyright the actual holiday?
>>
File: BORG.jpg (66KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
BORG.jpg
66KB, 450x338px
>>88683057

sad.
>>
honest question:
why do mexicans love stereotypes of themselves so much?
>>
>>88682128
Because you don't get any diversity points for slapping some french speaking canada gabachos in the movie.

It comes to dollars, which comes to numbers in rich countries.

The Castillian spanish market alone outweighs canada.

>>88682137
We're in a full on trans racial era. Put down whatever the fuck you want to.
>>
>>88683510
Because they can laugh at themselves?
>>
Who cares. Where's the giantess movie
>>
>>88679019
>t it’s also been particularly important to us that when the Latino community sees the film, that it resonates
Nonsense. The whole skeleton pagan worship is exclusive to Mexico. Might as well have bullfighting and expecting it to resonate with Russia.
>>
>>88678967
>your average Mexican family
A white family? Indigenous? Mestizo? Black? Asian?
Say "your average American family" and see how liberals go insane.
>>
>>88682184
I thought that made you white?
Everybody knows that white erases Latino.
>>
>>88683510
This movie is not made by Mexicans.
>>
>>88684353
I'm talking about the audience?? of movies that are already out??
>>
>>88684037

moved to late 2018
>>
>>88684423
like what?? movies are you talking about??
>>
File: book of kubos life.png (179KB, 282x273px) Image search: [Google]
book of kubos life.png
179KB, 282x273px
I will protect this smile for all eternity.
>>
>>88684423

Man, the way you type is annoying as fuck but I'm going to answer anyway:

Mexican humor is VERY satire heavy. And I mean very - for example, the classic day of the dead skeleton you see everywhere is a cartoon of a skeleton representing spaniards/mexicans that tried too hard to act white, pointing at the fact that when we die, we're all the same. It's not uncommon for mexican comedians to make fun not only of plublic figures, but also of certain stereotypes of the different regions of mexico in very mean-spirited but still funny ways.

Most mexicans realize that the stereotypes exists because they are based on truth, so unless it's something obviously offensive or done by someone with not a fucking clue, the first reaction is usually either "oh, that's cute, they like X mexican thing" or "yeah, they act like that, don't they?"

Speedy Gonzales in particular got insanely popular because it represented the mexican ideal of outsmarting other people while representing the mexican reality of also being a shithead.
>>
File: the hero mexico deserves.jpg (9KB, 294x171px) Image search: [Google]
the hero mexico deserves.jpg
9KB, 294x171px
>>88684590
>>
>>88678996
>>88678967

He looks cute at least.
>>
>>88678996
>There was never any conscious effort to try to trademark a holiday because that’s crazy, and we would never try to do that. But it happened, and we regret it, and we’re so sorry for it. And I know for all of us, it affected us really deeply. It was devastating, because we knew what we were trying to do and we had taken on this responsibility of trying to do everything right, and so it really was painful to know that the first public perception of our film had to do with that

Riiight. They can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>88683553
>The Castillian spanish market alone outweighs canada.

NO ONE outside beaners in mexico and murrika will watch this movie. No Chilean, Uruguayan, Spanish or Dominican will care about this. Outside "Y tu Mama tambien" no mexican movie has EVER been popular in those markets, and that movie was pretty much a spanish movie set in mexico.
>>
>>88678996
>>88684719
>>There was never any conscious effort to try to trademark a holiday because that’s crazy, and we would never try to do that. But it happened...
Disney is so silly.
>>
File: IMG_3252.jpg (131KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3252.jpg
131KB, 640x480px
>>88683510
From what I know as a Oaxacan. Some Mexicans just don't give a fuck about stereotypes, you know we actually laugh at them sometimes; also whenever an outsider comes here we call them by their stereotypes too. The only stereotype that seems to trigger some Mexicans is the one about us sleeping in a cactus.

Also other people like the stereotypes because they're feeling that we are loosing our culture for all the new devices or some shit like that, and they feel that the stereotypes are somehow helping us to keep our culture.
>>
>>88685193
>The only stereotype that seems to trigger some Mexicans is the one about us sleeping in a cactus.

From what I gather, it's because it's the opposite of reality. The "mexican sleeping all day" came from the jornaleros that woke up before dawn to reap what had been planted, then would sleep during morning hours.
>>
>>88678967
why's he surrounded by a flock of Doritos?
>>
So... When will this have Pixar's patented '5 minutes where we make you cry™'? Think they'll start with it or save it for the final act?

I was sick of this shit in Toy Story 3 and I just rolled my eyes watching Inside Out. It's not difficult to do a mawkish 5 minute sequence covering about death/notalgia/heartbreak.
>>
>>88680972
Those at least had some distinguishing features to them to set them apart. This looks like a literal bargain bin rip off of The Book Of Life
>>
>>88685492

probably the moment they'll take the guitar from him and possibly destroy it.
>>
>>88685529

>father smashes up the guitar angry at him playing forbidden music
>kid tries mending it
>father sees him mending it
>FLASHBACK
>10 year old father learning to play for the first time, his father looks on, mother gets angry and tells the boy to stop
>after she's gone, father sneakily pulls out the guitar again and helps him with the chords
>montage of him getting better and the father enjoying watching him play
>fast forward another 10 years, father (grandfather) is dying in bed, everyone but the son leaves the room.
>The son plays him the song one last time, the father dies smiling
>Distraught the father grabs the guitar and locks it away, never to play again
>BACK TO THE PRESENT
>Son plays the mended guitar but the sound's off
>Father recognises the song as the one he played for his father.
>Father leaves the room
>Father comes back with his own guitar, dusts it off, hands it to his son
>Father sits in the chair his father sat in. with the expression his father had and listens to his son play with his eyes glistening
>>
Sounds like the bastard child of Book of Life and Kubo.
>>
>>88681815
Thor was just The Lion King and Ant-Man was just Kung Fu Panda.
>>
Looks bland, but I'm guessing /pol/ will throw a shitfit about it, anyways.
>>
>>88681573
>>Guess what, white women speaking for Mexicans are a loud demographic now.

Fixed that for you.
>>
>>88685682
and it will make so much more money just because pixar
>>
>>88685723

But at the same time Disney will want a Pixar film, one that'll probably take a prime box office slot, to make hundreds of millions in profit.

The Good Dinosaur is proof the Pixar name isn't enough to prevent a film vanishing without a trace.
>>
>>88679084
future projections indicate that white people will be the minority while the latinos will dominate the usa census

the eternal mouse is aware of this, hence the coco
>>
>>88680972
there's no such a thing as a original idea

when will people learn this? WHEN?

I'm not defending disney but this shit needs to stop.
>>
>>88681573
Since when.
>>
File: 2donald and girl.jpg (69KB, 626x476px) Image search: [Google]
2donald and girl.jpg
69KB, 626x476px
If there's no waifus, it'll be shit.
>>
>>88686636
Waifus didn't save Book of Life.

But shotas will save this movie.
>>
File: IMG_1656.jpg (253KB, 977x707px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1656.jpg
253KB, 977x707px
>>88681074
The comics are nice
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (146KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
146KB, 1920x1080px
>>88678967
I don't understand why they have to remake the shitty Book of Life. All I want is for them to do a Grim Fandango movie. They own lucasarts who owns the rights, so there's no excuse.
>>
>>88683057
I did a pixar marathon recently and remembered just how amazingly well crafted their early films were. It was a shock because I completely forgot they were absolutely spotlessly perfect at one point, they've been shitty for so long now.
>>
>>88679084
Call me when the sudacas come up with something as cool as Dia de Muertos.
>>
>>88687301

IIRC one of their fundators died so their boss decided to return to disney.

and here we are, disney on top again with pixar as their bitch.
>>
File: 428b2c56.jpg (72KB, 658x329px) Image search: [Google]
428b2c56.jpg
72KB, 658x329px
>>88678967
>Anthony Gonzalez
Is it the guy from M83?
>>
>>88684324
I mean, fucking with large animals for entertainment of upper class is pretty universal, from boar to bear hunts and bullfighting.

>>88686646
>implying anyone goes to see brown shotas or lolis
The only time it worked was Lilo and Stich and that's because it was actually good. Still hope for at least a bu8t of porn.
>>
>>88681404
Americans can't tell the difference between race and nationality.
I'm Mexican, and I'm whiter than any American I've ever met. And I lived in Oregon AKA white rich SJW land for a while.
>>
File: r4DyRf4.jpg (331KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
r4DyRf4.jpg
331KB, 1600x900px
>>88687197
>Grim Fandango movie
Good taste. I would love to see this.
>>
>>88678996
>we would never try to do that. But it happened
I love when they're so deep into their weaseling that they start doing 180's from one line to the next.
>>
>>88687397
Went to IMDB. It's some random kid.
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.