[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do the DC/Marvel universes follow a split timeline or single

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1461185612395.png (544KB, 981x1270px) Image search: [Google]
1461185612395.png
544KB, 981x1270px
Do the DC/Marvel universes follow a split timeline or single timeline theory? As in, if you go back in time and fuck with something, does it change things in the present or make a new timeline altogether?
>>
Both can happen depending on how you travel. Sometimes you've always done the thing and it just always happens that way and sometimes you're the flash and can erase your own powers
>>
In Marvel it's split timeline (but the main "canon" usually follows the newly created one for the sake of the time travel actually impacting the narrative meaningfully), unless you use Doom's time machine which has a Doom lock that lets you erase/destroy timelines by altering the past.
>>
>>88676691
Read Flashpoint Paradox for DC.
>>
I will never understand the concept of a split timeline. it's completely asinine, has no basis in any kind of.... okay, obviously not FACT, but you know, that thing where something seems plausible and occurs to a sensible mind?
fuckers with that fucking idea ruined the fuck out of zelda. it was fine as it was. he goes back in time, everything's fine, except g-dog stays sealed because the sacred realm is outside of time. aspects of his future stay sealed away with him too, because we know that's how that works
>>
>>88676691
i'd go back in time to wreck power sweater puppies there...
>>
Time travel in comics, particularly in DC, works in a weird way because of the nature of comics being an eternally ongoing publication.

Basically, there's three time periods: the past (what has been published), the present (what is being published), and the future (what has not yet been published or even written). Though this usually works linearly, ie things being currently published take place after things already published, there are some quirks. The Legion of Super-Heroes stories take place in the far future chronologically, but would basically be part of the past or present, not the future.

As explained by Rip Hunter, the past is unchanging because it's already been published. But the future is nebulous and unknowable because it has yet to be published.

It's very meta but it's a pretty good way to explain time travel in a universe that has such intricate chronology.
>>
>>88677067
>I will never understand the concept of a split timeline. i
Have you never seen Back to the Future part 2?
>>
>>88677382
But how do retcons fit into that?
>>
>>88677067
It's a way to resolve a time paradox.

Still, in Zelda there's not really any reason for the Adult Timeline to exist, is there?
>>
>>88677491
They just override old stories, no time travel involved.
>>
In DC, yes.
In Marvel, it's the split thing except maybe the O5.
>>
D.C. Is don't fuck with time too much
Marvel is Changing the past makes a new timeline p, unless you use dr dooms machine that has a workaround in it.
>>
>>88677067
Zelda actually has multiple forms of time travel with different rules.

>>88677554
>Still, in Zelda there's not really any reason for the Adult Timeline to exist, is there?
Technically there's no reason for either the adult or child timelines to exist because they conflict with the original timeline which had Link dying.

OoT, MM, FSA, WW, PH, and ST are all technically what ifs.

But the reason the Adult and Child Timeline split is Link closed the Door of Time in the past.

The Door of Time created a road between the past and future in the adult timeline which preserved the bridge by forcibly altering the future to be able to link with the past whenever someone passed through it. Link closing it in the past after having sent back by Zelda's magic severed the connection, but the beginning and end still existed (it was connecting to something to remain open) so both timelines were preserved and severed.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.