[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do people even buy Comic Books anymore? How does a Comic Book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: sgcomicsales.jpg (20KB, 452x333px) Image search: [Google]
sgcomicsales.jpg
20KB, 452x333px
Do people even buy Comic Books anymore? How does a Comic Book writer even make money nowadays /co/?
>>
>>88647105
i just download them for free from various sites
>>
>>88647105
I buy trades.
I would buy floppies if they fucking sold them in my town.
>>
>>88647105
I buy a few floppies of series I really like/non-Big Two books that deserve support, and I pirate the rest of what I read. I also buy trades of older series.
>>
>>88647105
The problem is modern comics are written by comic fans, when they should be written by writers.

So, to answer the question, a writer would need to be vaguely competent to make money, which just doesn't happen.
>>
>>88647105
>Do people even buy Comic Books anymore?
no

>How does a Comic Book writer even make money nowadays /co/?
beggars can't be choosers
some of other jobs and a lot write 2-3+ at smaller publishers as well
>>
I don't buy comics because they're not worth my money. As a Marvel fan I want nothing more than Marvel to be burned to the ground and every single one of their current employees to die of aids
>>
>posting almost two decades old graphs
>>
File: comics.png (440KB, 469x469px) Image search: [Google]
comics.png
440KB, 469x469px
>>88647105
Why are you posting a chart from 2000? Sales are going up now. 2016 so far has a 2% lead over 2015, which was 7% bigger than 2014, which was 4% bigger than 2013, which was 9% bigger than 2012, which was 15% bigger than 2011...

That's just through Diamond.

Source: Comichron

With Diamond sales (your local LCS shop), we're talking of comics selling tens of thousands of copies. Hundreds of thousands if you're lucky.

How do comics sell outside of Diamond? As one example, the comics of [pic related] sell MILLIONS of copies.

So why aren't they part of the normal conversation about comics? Not superheroes, not monthly, and sold mostly through bookstores and Amazon, not Diamond.

And you don't hear about it on /co/ because /co/ is fucking dumbshit ignorant casual plebs who don't know anything about comics outside of a tiny little niche. We only care about Diamond sales on /co/, and 99% of the time only Marvel/DC's Diamond sales.

And of course, we're only talking about America, right? /co/ doesn't care about the rest of the world, even when comics there are doing better than here.

Build up a fanbase at Marvel and/or DC, then make a shitload of money at Image.

>Kieron Gillen writes:

>I’ll give you some really basic rule of thumbs for indie comic commentary:

>Anything selling stably over 10k in single issues is a cause for celebration and joy. The creators are almost certainly extremely happy.

>If you’re selling over (ooh) 12k, you’re probably making more than either of the big two would pay you, unless you’re one of the very biggest names.

>If you’re selling anything near 20k, you probably have to buy drinks for your friends.

Even if they don't sell 10k, they can still be profitable around 5k. The profitability threshold is lower than you think.

Character limit.
>>
>>88647597
This.
>>
>>88647105
Some, but not many. It's a niche industry that suffers from rampant easy piracy.

By working for the Big 2 long enough to get a fan following that'll follow you to your creator owned books, then trying to option off the movie rights to your creator owned books. That's pretty much Image's entire business model.
>>
File: 1441994357720.gif (161KB, 921x155px) Image search: [Google]
1441994357720.gif
161KB, 921x155px
>>88647597
>>
>>88649122
By working for the Big 2 long enough to get a fan following that'll follow you to your creator owned books, then trying to option off the movie rights to your creator owned books. That's pretty much Image's entire business model.

Worked well for Kirkman didn't it?
>>
Comic sales are great here. It's mostly Americans who steal them.
>>
>>88649179
And Millar.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.