[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, did Mr Incredible lose this case?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5

File: lol suicide.gif (393KB, 400x168px) Image search: [Google]
lol suicide.gif
393KB, 400x168px
So, did Mr Incredible lose this case?
>>
>>88643359
No, he won the case. The superheroes just decided to go into hinding cause they were bored.
>>
>>88643359
Either he outright lost or he settled. In either case, it encouraged more people to sue the supers, because apparently Good Samaritan laws don't exist in the Incredibleverse.
>>
>>88643359
>fail to commit suicide
>sue instead of trying again
>>
>>88643359
>>88643420
Maybe. Though implication would say he didn't. But in the end it could've just been public opinion in general shifting even if shit like that was still unwinnable.
>>88643471
Do good Samaritan laws defend from Torts?
>>
>>88643490
>End life vs. make a ton of money off a showcase and don't end life

Gee, I wonder why he picked the latter.
>>
>>88643490
He probably tried to commit suicide cause he was poor, then realized he could sue for a bullshit reason to make a ton of cash.
>>
So why didn't the government, who seemed pretty chill with Superheroes step in and have the police arrest the guy for trying to commit suicide?
Even if suicide is legal in the Incredaverse, couldn't they charge him with something like reckless conduct endangering lives?
>>
You guys are missing the point

The heroes, for a brief time, were the paragon of justice. In the ideal sense of the word.

Then people started suing them, pressing the government to take an action on it.

How do you sue a alter-ego? What record of activity do you have?

Enter efforts worth of millions of dollars in all those operations, while opposition parties started to make campaign against heroes and vigilantism in general, since they cost way too much

It becomes a popular opinion, starting the new operation and relocation of old heroes.
>>
>>88643359
Suicide is illegal so no he would have won since he prevented him from commiting a crime.
>>
>>88644007
>try to commit suicide
>cops arrest you
>sentenced to death
>>
>>88644471
>>88644278
>>88644007
Depends on the state. Up till the 1980s a good chunk of states still had suicide as a crime that could carry jail time. Since the super hero stuff seems to take place somewhere in the 80s it doesn't seem too unlikely.
>>
>>88643359
>not letting him kill himself because his life is his property
I thought the Incredibles were Ayn rand fags
>>
>>88643359
a conspiracy
>>
>>88643359
It was never finished, the supers all went into hiding to avoid their court cases.
>>
The dude that sued Mr. Incredible was the spark that lit the powderkeg of negative public opinion against supers. You know Syndrome's "when everyone is super, no one will be" thing? That's basically the inverse summation of what the public were doing to the supers at the time, trying to drag the powerful down to their level out of fear and jealousy. "Why do they get superpowers and I don't?", a thought that bubbles under the surface for years until eventually an angry populace lashes out against their heroes through the only means they can: media and the legal system. Hatred against supers becomes widespread as people no longer have to hide their envious contempt of the super beings, and the government (who actually seem to be pretty competent in the Incredibles-verse) steps in and solves the problem on both fronts by forcing supers to go into hiding, allowing the supers to co-exist peacefully and giving the populace the satisfaction of feeling like they "won".
>>
>>88644471
in the UK this used to happen
>>
>>88647274

Although I still have to wonder what the hell made the Super-VILLAINS they were fighting go away over all this.

Based on Frozone's stories and Mr. Incredible's encounter with Bomb Voyage, the supers weren't just taking out purse-snatchers and bank robbers. There were dudes with death rays and shit out there. Where the fuck did they go when their enemies needed to stop doing hero work to avoid lawsuits?
>>
>>88647274
>"Why do they get superpowers and I don't?"

This was also the basis of all of Sybdromes motivation. He never cared about being a hero and doing good deeds out of benevolence - from the start he was a little shit who wanted praise and approval for his intelligence as a way to compensate for his lack of superpowers.

That was the basis of his whole plot, to have his petty vengeance against supers out of envy and spite, with no regards to anyone else's well being, not even innocent people.
>>
>>88647401
You know, I was always under the impression that he had super intelligence, but it went unnoticed because it wasn't an obvious superpower.
>>
>>88643359
Wasn't the original plan going to be that Mr. Incredible and the Supers were gonna be propped up in front of HUAC during the Cold War? Hence the film's 60s style.
>>
>>88647372

Because superheroes, by their existence, cause super villains.
>>
>>88647432

I feel like people often being assholes when presented with superpowers or the capacity to build death rays is what causes supervillains.
>>
What Soviet supers might exist?
>>
>>88647372
I like the head canon that they just straight up capture and kill them.
>>
>Mr. Incredible wants Flash to compete and win to show off how awesome he is
>Mr. Incredible wants to show off how awesome he is again
>the villain wants everyone to elevate everyone to awesomeness, and this is bad because he is bad and that makes his plan evil by association because reasons
>the movie ends with Flash showing off how awesome he is
So moral of the story is that we should worship celebrities and American Exceptionalism and redistributing the wealth is bad and junk?
>>
>>88647561
>the villain wants everyone to elevate everyone to awesomeness, and this is bad because he is bad and that makes his plan evil by association because reasons

no, this is bad because he did for petty reasons and his methods included murdering people, and endangering innocents to look awesome.
>>
>>88647443
This. Some people decide to use their powers for the good of everyone, and some decide to use them to benefit themselves.
>>
>>88647561
The villain is bad because he kills people out of jealousy and is sending a death robot to cause destruction in a city to show off. He isn't planning on giving people powers to help either but rather to spite the old supers. So fuck off leftypol.
>>
>>88647425
Yeah, he made rocket books at like 12 he's got some sort of super intelligence.
>>
>>88647320
If you think about it, it's quite the kindness. Albeit a bit timely and a waste of money. It'd be quicker just to talk the situation out then have a cop shoot them if they still wanted to die. Wait nogunz, have a cop...what weapons are cops allowed to have in Bongland? Beat them to death with a stick they found in a raid?
>>
>>88647633
They let the Sharia police stone them.
>>
>>88647621
>>88647425

That or he's just really naturally smart and it's a world that allows for that kind of bullshit.
>>
>>88647621
I like the idea because it would be a delicious irony for him to have the potential to be a super, only failing to be one because he was obsessive to the point of being an annoying little shit.
>>
>>88647561
Oh please Syndrome outright states that he would only give people his crazy supertech after he was old and had his fun. And who gets it? Certainly not everybody, only the highest bidder going by what we know of Syndrome as an arms dealer. So now only the rich can have super powers because they're the only people who can buy them. So now the rich are even more leaps and bounds above the common man.

Meanwhile he's been killing off all the actual supers removing them from the gene pool, reducing the amount of natural superhumanity. With some time all of humanity could have had superpowers, but nope only the rich would thanks to Syndrome.
>>
>>88647372
>Where the fuck did they go when their enemies needed to stop doing hero work to avoid lawsuits?

From what I'm to understand, Gamma Jack killed a lot of them. It was probably just the low-level threats like Bomb Voyage that were still around -you know, guys that can be put down with tasers and bullets.

I mean, I know if I weren't nigh invulnerable I'd rather have Mr. Incredible throw me in jail than have a fucking SWAT sniper taking potshots at my head.
>>
>>88647649
>>88647668
The world might allow it because the world has people with superpowers and typically supersmart is one of those superpowers. And I mean, only the supers and the secret ops of the government seem to have access to it, there's isn't a supertech utopia going on, the regular man on the street doesn't see crazy technology unless a super comes busting through.

So I'd lean on the side of super intelligence being a thing and Syndrome definitely had it. He was so far more advanced than anyone else.
>>
>>88645528
>super hero stuff seems to take place somewhere in the 80s
Not really, the early scenes seem more like they're set in the 50s or 60s
>>
>>88647274
>That's basically the inverse summation of what the public were doing to the supers at the time, trying to drag the powerful down to their level out of fear and jealousy.
when was this brought up in the movie?
>>
This thread is just kind of highlighting how flawed the reason for all the supers going into hiding really was.
>>
>>88647475
Vodka Immunity.
>>
>>88647715
>only the supers and the secret ops of the government seem to have access to it, there's isn't a supertech utopia going on, the regular man on the street doesn't see crazy technology
that always pisses me off.
science "heroes" are the worst.
they could improve the world so much, but they don't care about making the world a better place to live, they only want fame and excitement.
>>
>>88647852
sciencd heroes could also easily ruin entire economies and have their shit turned into weapons. There's little reason to not distribute say, a cure for cancer, but you can't just go around and start growing food in labs and give it for free, for example.
>>
>>88647401
>>88647425
>>88647621
he' basically doctor doom without the magic
>>
File: Oliver Sansweet.jpg (13KB, 282x322px) Image search: [Google]
Oliver Sansweet.jpg
13KB, 282x322px
>>88647372
>Although I still have to wonder what the hell made the Super-VILLAINS they were fighting go away over all this.

In Sansweet's case, it was because nothing he could have done in costume could ever top what he did out of it. He could live comfortably off the settlement money and destroyed the ability of superheroes to do their job.
>>
File: 1471371346202.jpg (51KB, 500x246px) Image search: [Google]
1471371346202.jpg
51KB, 500x246px
>>88647475
Nuclear Winter.
>>
>>88647475
Fozzie Wozzie. Was a bear.
Fozzie Wozzie had no hair.
This is because of radiation poisoning
>>
>>88647561
Yeah as mentioned by a few others it's not his plan to make everyone super that's evil. It's his plan to become a hero by murdering a bunch of people both super and normal just so he can show up and 'save' everyone...then be a hero himself till he's bored.
>>
>>88649533
what if they didnt? what if they suffer villains robbing banks left right and center and the cops are powerless to stop super crime, but people are turning a blind eye to it becaise "hey hey we got rid of the supers"
>>
>>88647852
They might fear what happened with Oppenheimer and someone using their device to for destruction. Like invert the function of something that slows time to speed it up causing massive death or edit the genes of rats so that they might contain Black Plague 2, but it's a prion that spreads through a bite or some shit.
>>
>>88647951
>>88647852
One run of Fantastic Four revealed that Reed had invented a ton of shit and the family was wealthy off the profits, but none of it hit the open market.

Why?

Because his money came from big tech companies paying him NOT to release his stuff so as to avoid having their businesses destroyed by something he worked on for a week.
>>
>>88643359
So this puts the Incredible's citizens almost on par with Marvel's right?
>>
>>88647561
Syndrome also planned on doing what Luthor did when he gave everyone powers. He could have been planning on turning their "powers" off eventually and their threats would kill them.
>>
>>88643359
What is not to understand Mr Incredible made this man worse off by saving him his suicide doesn't matter by saving his life Mr Incredible made it worse this case makes the most sense actually, it's the later cases like the people in the train that make no sense
>>
>>88649533
>I am a supervillain, I rob banks
>All the Superheroes leave
>For some reason, I stop robbing banks

I mean, suspension of disbelief and all that. But come on.
>>
>>88652732
>I am a supervillain, I rob banks.
>All the superheroes leave.
>I continue to rob banks.
>Police blow my brains all over the street with a sniper instead of waiting for Captain Invincible to come and put me on my ass.
>>
>>88643359
>>88643471

You know I've always loved the plot/back story of Incredibles. It seems so real, the people who have powers and go out of their way to help other people would be completely shit on by the normie population. It's what happens in the real world, the people who take responsibility end up having everyone else's responsibility and blame shoved on them too because the other people realize they'll take it. And the normie population always seems to find a way to punish the good guys and reward the bad guys.

>>88647274

I'm writing my own super hero universe (for comics, games and maybe animated stuff) and this is actually a big plot point, going off what I said above. The entire universe is based on my own original ideas for the genre coupled with a mirror of the industry and stuff that happens in other universes.

Big example, in 1993 there is a big "Superman Vs Doomsday" fight. (That's the year that happened in comics) and it lasts for about a week, tearing through the entire country, starting from New York and ending in Texas. Thousands died and billions in collateral damage and the Superman-type figure of this universe is killed too.

In response to this the government outlaws super heroes. Claiming that the damage could of been migated if only the army and police handled it... Basically because they need someone to blame and the super hero community, wanting to do the right thing for the public's trust, lets it happen. But this just ends up emboldening all the super villains, who were already bucking the law and using their powers for bad stuff too.

So it leads to the "Super Villain Wars" of the 90s with multiple villains just taking over countries and cities. The government and authorities spend more time trying to stop heroes than stop villains and the underlying theme or message as one hero points out is that they're literally too afraid of the villains and making easier targets out of the heroes.
>>
>>88651459
Reed richards is fucking tool
>>
>>88643359
YOU DIDN'T SAVE MY LIFE YOU RUINED MY DEDE
>>
>>88652764
Rubbish, the entire reason Police even let Superheroes stop Supervillains is because said supervillains cannot be stopped by conventional methods. Can't blow a guy's brains out if they're invincible or intangible or all the million other things a Supervillain could be.

So again, they just stop robbing banks and museums and killing people, because.
>>
File: W8ZviUs.jpg (600KB, 1000x1039px) Image search: [Google]
W8ZviUs.jpg
600KB, 1000x1039px
>>88644471
>>88647320
Judge Dredd isn't real they said

It's a joke not to be take serious they said

It's a satire they said
>>
>>88653139
Get off 4chan Vic, It's Christmas. Socialize with your family.
>>
>>88643359

Yes. Director Brad Byrd talked about how he fancied superheroes being "taken down" by something as mundane as a lawsuit. That was kind of the idea.
>>
>>88653026
You know what'd be a neat idea in this universe. Superheroes posing as Supervillains to try and infiltrate the new Supervillain run societies. Sort of a bizarro Thunderbolts.
>>
>>88647702
>From what I'm to understand, Gamma Jack killed a lot of them
Based on what?
>>88647432
Do they? Is there a GI Joe because there is a Cobra is there a Cobra because there is a GI Joe
>>
>>88653265

... That's actually a good idea. I would of never though of that.
>>
>>88653325

On a special commentary disk that has government agencies interviewing a lot of the supers mentioned in "The Incredibles". There's a tape with Gamma Jack and he mentions (very, very casually) that he hates killing female villains because of how hot they are. Gamma Jack basically killed all the villains he ran across, but that doesn't mean he killed ALL the villains.
>>
>>88643359
>didn't get Phoenix Wright on the case
>didn't use memes and argue for a constitutional right to save lives
>>
>>88644471
>sentenced to life

JUST
>>
>>88653325
>Do they? Is there a GI Joe because there is a Cobra is there a Cobra because there is a GI Joe.

COBRA formed on its own. It was originally a pyramid scheme created by the Cobra Commander when he lost his used car lot and the government wouldn't help him out.

GI JOE was created to oppose COBRA.
>>88653348
Green Hornet does something similar.
>>
>>88651459
That's sounds kinda villainous.

Like something Lex Luthor would do.
>>
>>88653916
So which is worse, agreeing to keep from destroying your competition with your music player or making the offer to keep from the competition destroying you?
>>
>>88653177
They probably kept the most ruthless/discreet Supers as plainclothes Black Ops or something.
>>
File: 345423.jpg (329KB, 1188x1262px) Image search: [Google]
345423.jpg
329KB, 1188x1262px
>>88653220
If we're posting Dredd, I prefer this one.
>>
>>88647561
Syndrome killed various supers testing out his robots.

He put people in danger just so he could look good saving them.

His reasons for being a hero weren't out of wanting to be a good person but doing it to look good until he got bored

>Make everyone awesome.

There's little to no doubt that his stuff would cost a hefty price to even get some of the lower stuff.
>>
>>88643359
I mean, the 1993 Michael Jackson trial never got far at all. The evidence was laughable, but the trial was planned so close to a concert tour that Jackson was pressured to pay it off and get moving. Public opinion can turn negative regardless of trial outcomes. It is entirely possible that he settled, so he could be available to work as a superhero instead of being bogged down in a trial.
>>
>>88647372
they formed the guild of calamitous intent and focused their efforts on super scientists instead of heroes
>>
>>88644007
While they could've stepped in, odds are that the public backlash would've been pretty significant.
Also, it comes to mind that the government could've taken the heroes into their own employment once superheroing became unpopular. I'm guessing most of them preferred to become civilians.
>>
>>88643359
Doesn't the Good Samaritan act cover things like this?
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.