[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scott Snyder's Superheavy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 007.jpg (252KB, 774x1200px) Image search: [Google]
007.jpg
252KB, 774x1200px
Just finished reading the Superheavy arc. It was fun and had good moments, but I thought the overall nonsensical elements of the plot derailed it somewhat.

>Also, dat awful Alfred characterization

What's the /co/nsensus about Superheavy?
>>
File: BM_Cv1.jpg (280KB, 781x1200px) Image search: [Google]
BM_Cv1.jpg
280KB, 781x1200px
>>88630311
Also, I'm not a big fan of the new costume.
>>
>>88630311
Every Snyder arc seems to go like this
>Huge things will happen!
>Look at all this build-up!
>OH SHIT CHECK OUT THIS CLIMAX
>But nothing actually happens lol
>>
>>88630654
You're right, but in this case, there was actually no build-up.
In Superheavy, it's basically:
>Bruce is happy... and plays with clay dough. Exciting!
>Gordon wanders for a few issues and then succeeds a tad thanks to convenient toys in his armour
>Duke... is awesome at justice work just because! Accept it true believer! Duke is here to STAY even though it makes no sense!
>Alfred mops and acts like a traitorous bitch
>Oh by the way this guy we know nothing about is destroying the city
>Deus ex machina
>The end

However, the finale epilogue was really sad and made me feel things.
>>
>>88630654
You forgot
>The secret history of _____!
>>
>>88630311
Why did Snyder write an origin story for Gordon's coat? That makes about as much sense as an origin story for the cereal I ate this morning, but was actually made by the guy who shot and killed my parents.
>>
>>88630652
What are Jan and Jace doing in Batman?
>>
>>88630654
>>88630788
You also forgot
>SOMEHOW THE JOKER IS INVOLVED
>>
>>88630867
I think he always tries to turn things into symbols, to later use them as cliffhangers.
>That coat I have is a symbol of my faith in a better system
Cue 5 issues later
>Coat is burning on a knocked-out Gordon

Snyder did that in Endgame
>Coat of armour in the theater
>Coat is loving your work and striving at finding a better Gotham
Cue final scene of Endgame
>Coat is thrown on a pile of rubbish
>>
>>88630945
Meant
>Coat is about* loving your work

>>88630903
Joker and Bruce's interaction in Superheavy was probably the best part of that arc though
>>
I LOVE the concept, I love the Appleseed design of the mech suit, I love the dirigible base with the Bat spotlight and the nightly patrols. The story was great as well IMO, though Gordon was a strange choice.

Really I want a spinoff with a new character in the suit, it just makes sense that the GCPD would step up their game to compete with the crime in Gotham, like the science police in pre-Flashpoint Metropolis. It's such a fun concept and there's so much more they could do with it.

>>88630721
I partially blame this on editorial mandating a big crossover twice a year. City of Owls and Death of the Family and now Night of the Monster Men are all so terrible and boring, and it sucks that City of Owls basically ruined the Court as interesting villains.

It's stupid that Snyder was basically chosen for his ability to do mysteries and horror, and then they put him on their biggest fucking book that has to have giant bombastic events every couple months, and same problem with King.
>>
>>88631055
>It's stupid that Snyder was basically chosen for his ability to do mysteries and horror, and then they put him on their biggest fucking book that has to have giant bombastic events every couple months, and same problem with King.
100% agreed

>it just makes sense that the GCPD would step up their game to compete with the crime in Gotham
I think that this could be true of many concepts.
The BIG issue with modern comics is that they pretend to achieve being realistic, when they are so far from it and lack absolute imagination.
OF COURSE the GCPD would try to compete with the concept of Batman. It makes no sense, in a capitalistic world, that the GCPD wouldn't try to up their game, instead of being just a passive presence.
Same with politics and economics in Gotham. These should be so much more forefront in a city that gets destroyed every day but still manages to be among the Top 5 richest cities in the world.
Same again with the Court. Their motives for "Night" are non-existent, and they have no lasting strategies. Why? If they had, we could have decades of interesting storytelling out of it.
>>
>Alfred wanting for Bruce to have a happy life is him being treacherous
>this is what casuals actually believe
>>
File: Alfred 90's.jpg (100KB, 504x507px) Image search: [Google]
Alfred 90's.jpg
100KB, 504x507px
>>88631549
You're the casual bro, Alfred always understood Batman is more important to Bruce than Bruce himself.
>pic definitely related
>>
>>88631763
Anon Snyderfags have never read a Batman comic before his run
>>
>>88631763
>>88631805

Lmao, and after that he left him because he disagreed on him becoming Batman again which you would know if you actually read comics
>>
File: batman_43_sharks.jpg (518KB, 1600x1099px) Image search: [Google]
batman_43_sharks.jpg
518KB, 1600x1099px
>>88630311
Great art, great designs, cool concept, lousy execution.

>I want to become Batman to prove that he could have worked within the law instead of against it!
>Breaks into a warehouse and goes on a vigilante killing spree instead of organizing a police raid because ????

I still liked Jim as Batman though because it was nice to see a bat character actually struggle with things for once and if you squint you can pretend it's a western adaptation of Patlabor.

It ended way too soon.
>>
Like, nothing actually happened to convince Gordon that his idea wouldn't work. He just dropped his principles for seemingly no reason at all.
>>
>>88631824
Breh he left because Bruce was being unreasonable about his injuries not because he disagreed with Bruce doning the mantle.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.