[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Superman better when he had his parents alive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: Ma_PaKent01.png (302KB, 311x439px) Image search: [Google]
Ma_PaKent01.png
302KB, 311x439px
Was Superman better when he had his parents alive?
>>
>>88601096

Obviously. Earth 2 Superman had his parents, both of them. He had a marriage with Lois, a good relationship with her father, General Lane, a good relationship with Batman (who was also married on Earth 2) and a good relationship with his cousin, Supergirl.

All of those were not present with the New 52 prime earth Superbro.
>>
>>88601096
I think the Kents are valuable members Superman's supporting cast.

Generally, I'm not in favor of killing off longstanding supporting cast members. It ends up leaving the hero weirdly isolated.
>>
i might be biased because birthright is my favorite version of Supes and the kents really were a great part of his cast
>>
>>88601096
I thought so.
I really liked seeing Superman go see his parents.
>>
>>88601096
Yes.

Every hero has the "MY PARENTAL FIGURES ARE DEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAD" trope going for them, especially in more recent and more cynical times. It was refreshing to have a hero who interacted with parental figures who were both alive and well and it was always the most humanising element of a character whose major appeal has always been his humanity.
>>
File: p17_14.jpg (491KB, 1000x1537px) Image search: [Google]
p17_14.jpg
491KB, 1000x1537px
>>88601124
Him and Kara got along okay. He searched the globe for her when he was dying and gave her the fortress of solitude.
>>
I'm a bit conflicted because I think Pa dying to show Clark he can't save everyone is a pretty important part of his origin. But apart from that he's absolutely better off when they're alive.
>>
What are good Ma and Pa kent stories anyway?
>>
>>88601265
Birthright may be the best
>>
>>88601222

She didn't get along with him all through H'El. She helped out a bit in Doomed and by Return to Krypton but they were never in a good place, really.
>>
File: Action Comics 870 022.jpg (1MB, 1920x2951px) Image search: [Google]
Action Comics 870 022.jpg
1MB, 1920x2951px
Sure, but Pa's death is pretty impactful to his characters as well desu.
>>
>>88601412
They were on good terms by the time he died though. And he obviously cared for her, but Kara was doing her angsty teenager stuff.
>>
>>88601427
it's not uncle ben or parents in the alley though is it?
Maybe it's because i grew up with TAS but I always liked the fact that when the universe was too big for superman he'd run home to a sleepy town in kansas and talk to mum and dad.
>>
>>88602421
>>88601427
I like supes having his parents to talk to. But got to admit I always loved these moments where Pa dies and supes flies from where ever the fuck he is catching fire.
>>
>>88601412
It looked like they were starting to work on their beef before she got abducted and taken to Hogwarts Space School for Aliens and Fags
>>
>>88602765
And then she got canceled and he died. Life is hard in the House of El.
>>
>>88602421
>>88602747

same.

well I think i'd be fine if Pa died sometime later after Clark becomes Superman.

still i like the idea of Superman having a place like Smallville to come back to every now and then.
>>
>>88601124
Johns pls go.
>>
File: gas-allstar-02.jpg (546KB, 970x1156px) Image search: [Google]
gas-allstar-02.jpg
546KB, 970x1156px
>>88601427
"and in those three minutes, Jonathan Kent suffered a fatal heart attack."
>>
>>88603248
All star Superman was the superman we should have gotten in a movie
>>
>>88603248

This is, to me, one of the most powerful moments in comics. I used to prefer both Ma and Pa Kent being alive, but now I just like Pa's death too much, it's too emotional, feels like what thrusts Clark into becoming a man.
>>
>>88601096
Always.
>>
>>88601096
Personally I always felt they forced his humanity on him and with thier deaths he had to find it on his own and grow as a character.
>>
>>88601096
His parents are a crutch. Almost as bad as Aunt May, but not nearly as needy.
>>
>>88601427
>>88603248
No matter how they do it, I will always hate Pa Kent's death. Why SHOULDN'T Superman be able to save everyone? It's funny, in the 1978 Superman movie, Pa Kent's death is supposed to teach Superman that he can't save everyone but he basically says "you know what? Maybe I can!" and goes back in time. That's one of the reasons I liked the movie. Superman should save everyone.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.