[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My Problems with XKCD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 274
Thread images: 27

File: xkcd1771.png (83KB, 1480x543px) Image search: [Google]
xkcd1771.png
83KB, 1480x543px
1.) Munroe's condescending and outright insulting attitude towards anything that doesn't fall under "muh hard science", nevermind that STEM jobs aren't the only ones we need.
2.) His inability to write interesting characters. Yeah, I know they're fucking stick figures, but he could at least differentiate them a bit from carbon copies of himself and his opinions besides Black Hat Guy.
3.) Building off of that, his wasted potential. Munroe occasionally produces some genuinely funny content (ex. Black Hat Guy's 'Secretary of the Internet' arc featuring TRON Paul), but it's simply buried under the soul-crushing mediocrity of the rest of the strip.
4.) His preachiness. There was one strip (can't find the link at the moment) where his strawman stick figure rants about how technology is ruining people's lives, and Munroe's self-insert smugly dismisses him as irrelevant. The problem was, he undermined his own moral by having all the characters buried in their phones while this was happening.
5.) Addendum to number 4, he sticks his neck into situations he is totally unqualified to address (because SCIENCE can fix anything, amirite?). Example: mocking religion (https://xkcd.com/1152/ is one instance) because advocates for SCIENCE have outgrown such silly superstitions and Francis Collins don't real, nevermind the Vatican's long advocacy of science.
Whatever, I'm probably sperging out but I felt like sharing.
>>
He's funny sometimes and I genuinely like the sappy stuff but he fits all the "muh STEM major" bullshit.

I fucking hate the "lol your college choices suck lol" joke, they're forced as fuck in anything.
>>
>>88561415
Agreed, forgot about that "Every Major's Terrible" song.
>>
>>88561334
Don't forget the shitty art.

I remember Nedroid accidentally copied an XKCD joke and did it much better, partially because the expressiveness of the characters added to the humor.
>>
>>88561334
If it wasn't for my knowledge of others with them, I would be surprised he could convince others he had an English major.
>>
File: redwall.png (67KB, 535x700px) Image search: [Google]
redwall.png
67KB, 535x700px
>>
>>88561900
>Redwall, a kickass children's fantasy story about talking animals.
>Racist
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA kill me now
>>
>>88561900
>one fantasy novel has similar tropes to another
stop the fucking presses
>>
>>88561900
But the orcs, Sauron, and the forces of Mordor in general were based on the Nazis, not black people.
>>
>>88561900
There's just such a sense of smugness that radiates from these comics that I find hard to put into words. I think it's the way he inorganically tries to show how "smart" he is when it just isn't appropriate like here how he shoehorns in encryption when though it doesn't make sense in context but he does so anyway because DAE STEM?? lmao xDD. It just feels so masturbatory.
>>
>>88562032
>nazis
WW1 Germans
And 21st century progressives think that any white person making evil characters based them on black people, and then proceed to call others racist.
>>
Didn't he make a pro-Hillary cartoon? Died for me there. Not because I am a trumptard, but because Clinton isn't any better.
>>
>>88562032
>>88562162
Tolkien didn't base them off of anything deliberately. They were of course influenced by his own experiences but to say that he thought about any particular group of people when he was writing them is false.

The closest you can get is the people who are pro-industry/technology that in his view ruined the natural world. Which is really most of humanity.
>>
>>88562211
https://xkcd.com/1756/
>>
File: beer.png (77KB, 619x282px) Image search: [Google]
beer.png
77KB, 619x282px
>>88561334
have you ever noticed xkcd guy can be kind of racist?
>>
>>88562032
>>88561900
They weren't even supposed to be any particularly white nationality, they were the forces of industrialization and secularism that Tolkien, a conservative Christian*, was so suspicious about given his experiences in WW I.

*Funny how many modern day progressives have been inspired by the reactionary fantasy authors of the 20th century, be they sword & sandal or high fantasy.
>>
I truly and sincerely hope he dies as soon as possible so I don't have to hear about him anymore. You are giving him way too much credit to suggest he has untapped potential that he is wasting. He is producing at his full potential and beyond right now. And it's terrible.
>>
>>88562327
kek
>>
>>88562162
Sauron and the Orcs are the usual Devil and Demon figures who pop up regularly in mythology.

The Men who fought for Sauron (who sam notes are likley decent people decieved into fighting a war they have no stake in) are closer to the WW1 Germans.

Tolkien disliked allegory (which caused him to fall out with C.S.Lewis on occasion) and set out to create a mythology which, subconsciously or not, reflected how his ideology was shaped by the horror of fighting in WW1.
>>
>>88561960
I don't feel like he's calling the book racist, so much as he's pointing out that both series have heavy racial allegory. He just phrased it poorly.
>>
>>88562327
gosh he really dropped the ball on this one
>>
>>88561900
>talking shit about Redwall
Fuck you, Munroe
>>
>>88562346
You really can't compare Tolkien to the average modern day Neo-Con and have the latter come up favorably. He was well educated, mellow, pleasant and trolled Neo-Nazis by mail.
>>
wow you guys care alot about stupid bullshit huh
>>
>>88561334
>Whatever, I'm probably sperging out
Yeah, I'd say you are. You've probably put more thought into this post than he does into an average strip.
>>
>>88562418
>>88562430
Same horrible reddit retard. Fuck off.
>>
File: xkcd philosophy.jpg (34KB, 600x388px) Image search: [Google]
xkcd philosophy.jpg
34KB, 600x388px
>>88562327
I love that edit! Here's another one:
>>
>>88562132
I don't want to sound like a memelord but there's a reason resistors love the comic so much. KXCD is basically the comic of the smarter- than- thou crowd. Rick and Mirth is also extremely popular amongst them, which makes me worried that Dan is going to start listening to their feedback more and ruining the show further.
>>
>>88562032
What the flying fuck are you talking about? Sauron and Orcs had literally nothing in common with either nazis or any possible white supremacist group ever.
>>
>>88562409
I'd say he was trolling just regular Nazis.
>>
>>88562409
Yeah, he was much more devoutly Catholic than most religious people are nowadays towards their respective religions but LotR wasn't just him pushing Catholicism or anything like that. It dealt a lot of Catholic values but there was no direct reference to any Catholic material.
>>
>>88561334
>dat 5 point
every toddler is qualified to call religion a waste of time to study, and a mental illness for those who defend it
>>
>>88561334
My (devout Christian) physics teacher loves his stuff.

>>88562409
Sounds like you've been hurt, anon.
>>
>>88561900
>Moral Absolutes
Good job missing the point of Boromir's character.
>Racist undertones
When asked about is Racial Heritage by the Nazis, Tolkein replied by basically saying 'Im not Jewish, but I wish I was, the Jews are cool guys'. He may have been a bit stereotypical in his writing sometimes, but saying theres a malicious racism to his work is incorrect.
>>
File: XKCDIsshit.png (141KB, 1237x669px) Image search: [Google]
XKCDIsshit.png
141KB, 1237x669px
He's a retard.
>>
>>88562552
>When asked about is Racial Heritage by the Nazis, Tolkein replied by basically saying 'Im not Jewish, but I wish I was, the Jews are cool guys'. He may have been a bit stereotypical in his writing sometimes, but saying theres a malicious racism to his work is incorrect.
Hahaha, there's a ton of racism in Tolkein's works, both internal (Various groups hating each other and having prejudiced opinions about themselves and others) and narrative (the gods flat out made some groups to be better than others, those groups coincidentally being the ones we follow around for most of his writing). Tolkien was a conservative British gentleman from the start of the 20th century. NOT having racist undertones in his writing would have been far more exceptional.
>>
>>88562478
Yeah I know what you mean, it's the sort of "Reddit" crowd where they think they are smarter than everyone else so take every chance they can to show off fairly rudimentary things everyone else already knows when if they truly were so smart they would know better and it just makes them look like retards.

The same sort of person who brags about how much of an atheist they are or how much they love "science", they are just cancerous.
>>
>>88562734
Sure there's racism in the books, one group of people hating the other, that's just being realistic. What the other Anon was saying was that he didn't make Orcs thinking of them as black people, or the Southrons as Native Americans or what have you. There was no, as he he put it, malicious racism on Tolkien's part. Which is correct.
>>
>>88562734
All those groups are fictional. And while many certainly have connections to real world peoples, they are not intended to literally be that race/culture and have just as many elements unique to them.

What most mean when they accuse Tolkein of Racism is that Orcs are meant to be black people or the like, and Tolkien is saying these groups are subhuman. Even though Orcs are not naturally occuring and were corrupted from Elves to serve as foot soldiers by the Evil gods.
>>
>>88562795
The best part is when they start turning on their patron saints, like Neil Degrasse Tyson, who I guess they all hate now.

Contrarianism is as boring as conformity. I'll watch my Big Trouble In Little China and read Clarissa because they entertain me, and if someone else likes it, awesome. If they don't, that's fine.

My only concern with pseudo-intellectuals is the impact they could potentially have on the writing for shoes, comics, etc. KXCD was actually funny and informative, but once the writer pandered to Reddit it just turned into a secret club. The appeal went from "learn while you laugh" to "validate your own ego, you special snowflake", and if I wanted my ego validated I would probably do something other than read a web comic.
>>
>>88562847
You didn't read what I said. There is explicit narrative racism in Tolkien's work. There is an explicit hierarchy of races, Numenoreans being at the top and the peoples serving Sauron at the bottom, with the "higher" races having an implicit imperative to bring civilization to the lower ones.

>>88562939
That the various groups are not 1:1 stand-ins for real world groups doesn't mean there is no racism there. Tolkien clearly at least flirted with the 19th century racial theories and subscribed to the ideas that certain races are better than others. He wasn't malicious about it but the bias is clearly there.
>>
>>88562397
>anything but high praise is shit talking
autism
>>
>>88563172
To add, this isn't to say I'm putting Tolkien down or anything. His somewhat bendier ideas (and there are quite a few) don't detract from the power of his work and aren't particularly out of place for a man of his time. But to claim that they aren't there is just false.
>>
>>88561334
>nevermind that STEM jobs aren't the only ones we need
Indubitably. I prefer my burgers served by arts majors.
>>
>>88562847
>Anon was saying was that he didn't make Orcs thinking of them as black people
Why are SJWs obsessed with this trend of making the evil Orcs into innocent blacks? I keep seeing it everywhere. Even Max Landis wrote a terrible script for it.
>>
File: electromagnetic_spectrum_small.png (166KB, 740x557px) Image search: [Google]
electromagnetic_spectrum_small.png
166KB, 740x557px
The worst thing is his aren't-I-clever smugness over what amounts to internet memes about science.

e! pi! the square root of -1! Aren't I clever for knowing these terms!

>>88562644
It's called Torricelli's Law
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torricelli's_law#Experimental_evidence
We do get 200m/s.

To put it in the simplest terms, an upward-pointing jet of water made by a "drainpipe" 2km deep in the ocean would be 2km high (because of conservation of energy).

This is a pretty good example of both the smugness of the author and his detractors. The formula is a good approximation for a back-of-an-envelope joke calculation. The detractor looks dumb because they're nitpicking an obvious joke. The author looks dumb because they're taking an unphysical situation (a "hole" at the bottom of the ocean) and making wildly inaccurate pseudo-physical calculations about it.

This wouldn't be so bad if neither side was putting out the obnoxious "I'm so clever" attitude.
>>
>>88563242
Well to be fair you are objectively wrong though and misinformed at best.

Did Tolkein do the orcs poorly so that faggots can characterise them as minorities instead of corrupted monsters? probably, he even writes about regretting not adding more complex layers to the orcs who never aksed to be born and by cruel nature are doomed to their life.

They're not fucking black
They're not your minority to virtue signal that an old british man was racist
They were an unfortunate evil born of twisted intent and are tied to their masters fate.
>>
>>88564819
I wasn't even talking about orcs. I was talking about how different groups of men (and elves) related to each other in his works. Orcs are a completely different quandary, one stemming from his insistence at Catholic orthodoxy.
>>
File: ASDF - xkcd parody.jpg (103KB, 674x789px) Image search: [Google]
ASDF - xkcd parody.jpg
103KB, 674x789px
>>
File: 2013-02-11-beartato-coincidence.png (140KB, 800x1074px) Image search: [Google]
2013-02-11-beartato-coincidence.png
140KB, 800x1074px
>>88561679
> Nedroid

Now we're talkin'.
>>
>>88561334
Why are you expecting good art or writing from a STEM major in the first place? Of course his webcomic is going to be shit. All the creative fields are beyond his reach.
>>
>>88562032
The orcs are Tolkien's self insert. Checkmate, mongoloid.
(Specifically, the orcs are every poor son of a bitch in the trenches)
>>
Munroe is, by all accounts, a creepy shitter IRL.
>>
>>88562795
>The same sort of person who brags about how much of an atheist they are or how much they love "science", they are just cancerous.

Why do you hate them? They're ripe for triggering.

>I fucking love SCIENCE!
>"bell curve"
>GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: im_with_her[1].png (44KB, 740x633px) Image search: [Google]
im_with_her[1].png
44KB, 740x633px
LOL
>>
File: large quantities of salt.jpg (63KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
large quantities of salt.jpg
63KB, 800x500px
>>88561334
>>88562132
>>88562364
>>88562644
>>88566312
>>88566373
>>
>>88566783
>normies/autists who's entire political knowledge comes from seeing Trump making an ass of himself on TV/social media prefer to vote for Hillary, a career politician who always looks spotless on TV/social media

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOW I WONDER WHY????????
>>
>>88566783
>I'm with her
I still can't believe anyone thought this motto wasn't garbage
>>
>>88566999
It was meant to appeal to women and numales.
>>
File: 1429823679169.jpg (10KB, 359x318px) Image search: [Google]
1429823679169.jpg
10KB, 359x318px
>>88566783
Oh he must be doing very well at the moment.
>>
>>88566962
>>88566999
>>88567064
Hello, Trump supporters. I always wondered - was the only reason you voted for him because you hate the insanely anal politically correct people that much?

I mean, his stance on net neutrality means you're going to pay more just to access sites like this one.
>>
>>88567239
Still salty huh?
>>
>>88567239
Maybe they voted for him because they'd very much like to not go to war with Russia. Which seems more important than maybe having to pay more money to browse a mongolian throat singing forum.
>>
>>88567239

I just wanted to see Rome burn.
>>
>>88566962
>spotless

lol

she basically had a stale routine where each line is carefully rehearsed

meanwhile trump sharing his actual opinions was so notable to her that she made all her ads about it
>>
>>88567347
+50 rubles
>>
>>88561415
your college choices sucking isnt a joke anon
>>
>>88567366
>she basically had a stale routine where each line is carefully rehearsed

That's exactly what spotless means you retard.
>>
>>88563151
>but once the writer pandered to Reddit it just turned into a secret club.
He removed the button for the Forums years ago. The forum still exists, but you have to type in the URL. There's no direct link to it anymore
>>
File: xkcksucks.jpg (284KB, 600x1650px) Image search: [Google]
xkcksucks.jpg
284KB, 600x1650px
>>
>>88567330
Eh. At this point, there's not much I myself can do. Might as well see why you guys liked the man so much so we don't make the same mistake in four years.

>>88567347
Not sure where you're getting the idea that we would have gotten into war with Russia. Yes, him and Putin are clearly butt buddies, but are you saying we should just turn a blind eye to what Russia's doing now?

>>88567364
You need your fiddle first, Nero.
>>
>>88566999
Hillary had to have her turn! It was just fair, are you telling me you didn't think it was fair to let Hillary have her turn at president? Fuck what she can do for you or the country or why you would want her as a president, the DNC has already pushed so hard for Hillary to have Her Turn and by god, that's the campaign they'll run on.

Fucking Hillary. What a shitshow, they'll be talking about how pathetic this electoral defeat was for decades.
>>
>>88567547
The most delicious part was how Trump won three times

Won the election
Got more votes from the recounts
Had fewer faithless electors (Seriously, the democrats even replaced two electors who refused to vote for Hilary)
>>
File: 1481742928582.jpg (73KB, 700x460px) Image search: [Google]
1481742928582.jpg
73KB, 700x460px
>>88567469
>Not sure where you're getting the idea that we would have gotten into war with Russia.
>>
>>88567547
Really, I didn't even care about Hillary. I just was concerned with letting the Republicans get control.

They say they fight for the common man, yet they cater exclusively to the rich. They ignore scientific fact because it isn't convenient for them. They want to return everything back to when they were 12.

I honestly couldn't have given a lesser shit about Hillary. I just didn't want Trump to win.
>>
>>88567469
>but are you saying we should just turn a blind eye to what Russia's doing now?
Helping a longtime ally destroy radical islamists we've been supporting for years?

>>88567645
>They say they fight for the common man, yet they cater exclusively to the rich.
Both parties do this, stop thinking it's just the Republicans because it lets the Democrats get away with it
>>
>>88567615
He never gets tired of it!
>>
>>88567690
>Both parties do this, stop thinking it's just the Republicans because it lets the Democrats get away with it

Saying both sides do it ignores the problem.
>>
>>88567547
>the objectively single most corrupt presidential candidate in history's thirty year long+ political career which culminated in a rigged DNC election and a political campaign running entirely on the platform of "I'm ENTITLED to have MY TURN as President because I've been a politician for SO long!"
>only to get picked off at the post at the last second by a reality TV star bumbling about

It's like a movie or something.
>>
>>88567645
>I just didn't want Trump to win.
Then you should be mad at Hillary. Trump was the least likely president to succeed in god knows how long, and his win is entirely on Hillary's shoulders for being such a goddamn fuck-up. I truly believe that any other democratic candidate would have won in a landslide. Trump had a zealous support base, but a small one because he was such a hugely divisive figure. The only way he could win was against a candidate with absolutely zero support base at all, in an election where the majority are voting against the other one instead of for their own.
>>
>>88561334
So in other words, you don't have any legit reasons to be a bitch.
>>
>>88562389
It clearly describes it as "undertones." Didn't phrase it poorly at all.
>>
>>88566999
Her entire campaign was garbage

She was also the worst candidate the democrats could have picked, what the fuck were they thinking
>>
>>88567997
The same thing they were thinking when they propped Trump up as an easy win

>"We can't possibly lose"
>>
ITT: people getting mad at their intellectual superiors.
>>
>>88567997
Basically they felt sorry that Bill cheated on her, so they though she deserved to be president.
>>
>>88567239
I just like watching Amerifats have bad presidents. The Obama years were just getting stale, but Trump's victory is shaping up to give me more laughs than the Bush years.
>>
>>88567938
There's plenty of hate to go around. Both Clinton and the retards who voted Trump are to blame.
>>
>>88568071
>Three consecutive terms in the White House is what normally happens right?
>>
>>88561334
Oh look, it's another tiresome retard holding forth about how he hates XKCD. Why don't you write a blog about it somewhere and stop polluting the board?
>>
>>88568191
You can tell me more things about my president than I can tell you about your entire country.
>>
>>88567997
She bought and bribed her way to the nomination. The entire DNC is corrupt as shit, didn't you pay any attention to the election?
>>
>>88562494
That's also because he was an incredibly harsh critic of the catholic church as well.
>>
>>88568241
And you're proud of how retarded you are. Kind of proves his point.
>>
>>88566999
Their slogan before that was "america is already great"

The people running her campaign were utter imbeciles.
>>
>>88561960
Redwall couldn't be more racist if it tried. Did you miss the fact that the bad guys are objectively evil and can never change despite the best upbringing, are called VERMIN? Even the one raised at Redwall got written off by the good guys as "Always evil" at the end of his book. A more powerfully racist message is hard to imagine.
>>
>>88568325
If a democrat had run the slogan "make America great again" Republicans would be asking why they hate America.
>>
>>88568241
Yeah, because we're not as entertaining to watch.
>>
>>88568321
Not my fault every irrelevant country sucks my President's dick.
See? >>88568393 gets it. No one cares about his country
>>
>>88568365
and the 'crats would need to shut that argument down.

Hell, Obama's slogan was "Change". Not like the Democrats have never had anything similar.

Thing is if your first idea for the tag of your campaign is just a poor rebuttal of your opponent's catchy tag you've probably got an issue on your hands
>>
>>88561334
>the entire joke is "lol grammar rules"
>>
I find his comic hilariously Ironic.

On one hand he tries to claim STEM degree people are amazing, and then the next second he tries to be artsy and Philosophical.
>>
>>88568365
Democrats need to step up their petty contrarianism
>>
>>88568365

you can't run on make america great again because a bunch of the momentum behind Hillary was for obama 2.0. you can't say i'll continue the guys policies and that you'll overhaul washington
>>
>>88567690
> Helping a longtime ally destroy radical islamists we've been supporting for years?

How about supporting a dictatorial regime in Syria, weakening the people who were rebelling against that regime by planting radical Islamist elements into their rebellion, effectively creating ISIS in the process, and also invading Ukraine.

This is just in the past few years, I assume the other shit Russia's done is irrelevant for the purposes of this internet argument.
>>
>>88568365
"Make America Great Again" capitalized on the widespread discontent with the way things are being run, which is probably part of what Trump did so well in the rust belt

"I'm With Her" was about giving Hillary the job she wanted
>>
>>88568611
>"I'm With Her" was about giving Hillary the job she wanted

It was also about "muh diversity", which inevitably made a bunch of internet meme nerds upset because they equated electing Hillary to Gone Home and Fembusters, which are not good horses to hitch your wagon to.
>>
>>88566783
>>88566962

Wait, were there actually people who actually voted for Hillary because they thought she was a good candidate and not just because they thought Trump was worse?

I mean there were several good reasons to vote for Hillary. But Hillary wasn't one of them.
>>
>>88568611
Too bad his "promises" of bringing jobs back is a baldfaced lie that Republican told all the time. Why they bought it from a guy who doesn't pay his bills and had several small business go under because he buried them in legal costs when they demanded payment.
>>
File: old_files.png (73KB, 381x773px) Image search: [Google]
old_files.png
73KB, 381x773px
>>88566876
pretty much this
I don't know what it is a about XKCD in particular that riles people up so much, its no more pretentious as other web comics
My guess is that its the reddit/STEM people that treat it as a bible, and that the art is easy to parody.

btw he was once /ourguy/
>>
>>88568815
>"she is literally the most qualified person in the WORLD to be the president of the US!"
You have no idea how much I had to hear this garbage thrown around. It's half the reasoning behind her "I'm with Her" slogan too. The entire idea is based on the fact she's been a politician for like 36 years and now it's "finally her time" and nobody is more qualified purely because of how much time and how prominently she's been a part of the political system.
>>
>>88568559
Oh please, there are plenty of dictatorships in the world, why don't we get pissed at China for propping up North Korea? As for planting Islamists to poison the Syrian rebellion, I've never heard of that, but even if it is true, are we supposed to continue supporting the rebels even as they try to kill people being evacuated by the Syrian army? If Assad falls we're going to get another Middle East country run by radical Islam. Is that really a good thing? Is that worth pissing off Russia over?

Also, Russia invaded Crimea because it was full of people who consider themselves Russian citizens (Crimea was part of Russia until the 50's or so when it was gifted by Russia) and the efforts of NATO to grab Ukraine so they have yet another NATO nation boxing Russia in. America has invaded other countries for much stupider reasons so I'm not sure why this was seen as so evil.
>>
>>88561334
>1.) Munroe's condescending and outright insulting attitude towards anything that doesn't fall under "muh hard science", nevermind that STEM jobs aren't the only ones we need.
soft science isn't science, it's just guesswork
>>
>>88568891
Two things

Obama told people to vote for Hillary to continue his legacy
Obama was still shilling TPP as hard as he could up until the election

If your industry was gutted by NAFTA, you would not vote for Hillary, I don't care if you think Trump is just lying like all the establishment Republicans do (and they do)
>>
>>88568983
define what makes hard science hard and soft science soft

don't just list subjects
>>
>>88569044
there's no "thinking" about whether Trump was lying, he's outright said he did
>>
>>88568939
Honestly, there's no reason for the United States to put up with any of Russia's bullshit.

We should put a boot to their throat and keep it there until Putin is removed from power.

Like, they want to demonize us then we should become a demon and remind them why we're the sole remaining superpower.

Russia isn't ready to end the world even though they like to put forth the idea that they are.
>>
>>88569067
Wasn't that after he won, though?
>>
>>88569097
yes
>>
>>88569089
Gee, anon, I can't imagine why Russia seems desperate to exercise their sovereignty

Fucking hell
>>
>>88568891
>bringing jobs back
>relevant
Pick one.

The best part of the next four years is the BTFOing of those mouth-breathers who think American manufacturing is viable, while they still insist on buying cheaper imported products at Walmart. If America finally casts off this dead weight, the grand experiment will all be worth it.
>>
>>88569119
They're desperate to infringe on the sovereignty of others because they want to be a superpower again.

There's no reason for us to accept that and we should force them to get comfortable with their subservient role in the world order.

We just need to show them what it actually looks like to have your sovereignty infringed and they'll back off when they realize how good they had it as a former superpower rather than an aspiring one.
>>
>>88569049
>define what makes hard science hard and soft science soft
Provable, universally repeatable results.

That's what defines hard science.

But every big psychological and sociological study fails once you try it again with a different group.
>>
>>88569177
It's relevant to the fact that he made them think they'll get the same high paying position their parents had when they grew up. They won't because robots are cheaper.
>>
>>88568939
>Why don't we get pissed at China for propping up North Korea?
The original question I was responding to was a denial that Russia was doing anything wrong at the moment. Yeah, we do get pissed when China does that stuff. But China isn't trying anything new. They've had their North Korea and they've been content with that for the past few presidencies.

Russia is branching out. It's still going, and it's gonna continue going. There were Russians living in Crimea, so fucking what? That doesn't excuse invasion. Should Mexico invade Arizona because of the remaining Mexicans living there? Should Iran invade California because more Iranians live there than anywhere else in the world (save Iran itself)? How is "we've got family there and we've owned it before" an excuse to conquer it now? Maybe America has invaded other countries for stupid reasons, that doesn't make what the Russians are doing now right.
>>
>>88569182
I'm starting to understand why a lot of countries hate America.

Can we go back to isolationism now?
>>
>>88561334
>You mean "It was me."
NO BECAUSE HE'S USING IT IN A LARGER SENTENCE WHERE HE IS SAYING THAT HE ALLOWED SOMETHING TO HAPPEN IE HE IS IDENTIFYING HIMSELF AS A SUBJECT ("I") TO THE VERB "ALLOWED", YOU DON'T SAY "ME WHO ALLOWED" THAT SOUNDS RETARDED LIKE SHIT "ME ALLOWED IT" NO! FUCKING NO!
>>
>>88569288
With globalization? Impossible.
>>
>>88569212
>But every big psychological and sociological study fails once you try it again with a different group.
name 5 of each
>>
>>88569288
No, the opposite.

To save ourselves we must turn into an empire.

We need to secure our southern border by conquering south of our border.
>>
>>88569089
>>88569182
Fuck yeah. They're gonna pay for messing with our election
>>
File: licd6[1].jpg (141KB, 584x196px) Image search: [Google]
licd6[1].jpg
141KB, 584x196px
Look on the bright side:

It could be much, much worse.
>>
>>88569049
hard science is objective, soft "science" is subjective.

to put it into jellybeans, hard science says there are 23 jelly beans in that bag, soft science says jelly beans taste better than lima beans
>>
>>88569388
>He literally posted a vote for Hillary comic (Don't even try to argue he was talking about voting for Trump)
>Fucking Least I Could Do was shilling Hillary
>>
>>88568335
>Did you miss the fact that the bad guys are objectively evil and can never change despite the best upbringing, are called VERMIN?

Blaggut. Romsca. The rats that followed the Marlfoxes.

Most of the time the ones who are truly irredeemable are the ones that lead the groups, like Cluny the Scourge or Slagar the Cruel. Outside of that and like a handful of higher-ranking officers most vermin groups are full of uneducated retards who follow their leaders out of fear.

And as far as the one you mentioned who was raised in Redwall, Veil, his attitude was stated to be a direct result of the rest of the Abbeydwellers treating him differently. Because they treated him like a bad guy waiting to happen, eventually he just fulfilled the role because it's a lot easier to give in than it is to continuously fight expectations. Now, granted, the end of that book was a major misstep in having his adoptive mom call him evil pretty much out of the blue, but the rest of the book gave him good reason for turning out the way he did.
>>
File: [AHHHHHHHH].jpg (60KB, 313x559px) Image search: [Google]
[AHHHHHHHH].jpg
60KB, 313x559px
>>88569388
>used to follow LICD and LFG through every update in college
that's time I definitely should've spent studying
>>
>>88567239
I'm glad I voted for him because he said hes going to shift NASA to deep space exploration and give the NOAA the LEO stuff
>>
>>88563172

>There is an explicit hierarchy of races, Numenoreans being at the top

Well yeah, Numenoreans were part elf/angel. And the super-men they descended from were imbibed with Elvish wisdom, who were infused with divine light.

Hell, their major accomplishment was they happened to be the first tribes of men to stumble into elf territory, elsewise they were just another bunch of hairy ugly mortals.
>>
>>88569433
Because he really wants to write Deadpool. He even suggested his own name during a Con once.
>>
>>88563151
>The best part is when they start turning on their patron saints, like Neil Degrasse Tyson, who I guess they all hate now.
Why would they hate him?
>>
>>88569686
He's an Uncle Tom.
>>
>>88569476
I sank time into Dresden Codak and CAD. It could always be worse.
>>
>>88569686
He makes too many twitter jokes
>>
>>88569716
Uh oh, did he forget that blacks are still on a plantation? It just grows votes instead of cotton
>>
>>88567239

I didn't vote

But yes, watching Twitter go absolutely batshit during the election, and the general reactions afterward, was glorious.
>>
>>88569794
Same. I like seeing an underdog win, and also like experiencing the schadenfreude from those in the favorite's camp, especially the extra smug ones, getting absolutely blown the fuck out.

It's just incredibly bizarre that the underdog in this case is a literal billionaire businessman that lives in a golden tower.
>>
>>88568676
Wouldn't "She's with you" work better?

Instead of the people being for her, her being for the people?
>>
>>88569686
His Twitter is essentially XKCD comic strips in 140 characters or less.
>>
>>88569854

The thing is, I don't care to look like a "lol I'm too good for this" shit, but especially during the final months I just couldn't stand the whole debacle. I didn't know shit about either's actual platform, all I heard was shitflinging on both sides, and political debates were advertised with the pomp and bombasticism of a wrestling match.

In the end I just had to muse who I wanted to see sulk more: my "the sun shines out of Trump's ass" family, or the legions of SJWs and likeminded fragile psyches on the internet.
>>
>>88569097
He said it before too.
>You knew I was a snake before you let me in
>>
>>88569913
No because the Dem's entire platform was it was Hillary's TURN to be President and the nation OWED it to her, as if NOT "being with her" was a character flaw.
>>
>>88562162
>>88562258
They were every evil horde from the east that menaced western europe in it's history. They were germans and huns and mongols and turks and russians and arabs and tartars and christ knows what else.
>>
>>88570306
jesus fucking christ anon, calm down
>>
>>88569460
Nobody gives a shit about your apologist bullshit because Redwall was a racist fucking series and the exceptions to the rule don't counteract that.
>>
>>88569913
The DNC was incredibly insulated and inward facing for the whole election. That's the whole point, it's why they lost so badly, they were circlejerking with their backs to the world, and then they acted surprised when the peons decided to go for the clown who was courting them instead of the royals who were too busy slurping expensive wine out of each other's assholes.
>>
File: irony.png (49KB, 740x312px) Image search: [Google]
irony.png
49KB, 740x312px
>>88566373
Pic very related.
>>
>>88561415
It is your duty as a scholar to make fun of MBA and Criminal Justice majors. Their continued existence cheapens the worth of every institution.
>>
>>88571199
This would be funny if he actually did that, except, we know he didn't, and would never even attempt to.
>>
>>88561415
No he's not
>>
>>88561334
> he sticks his neck into situations he is totally unqualified to address (because SCIENCE can fix anything, amirite?). Example: mocking religion (https://xkcd.com/1152/ is one instance)
1. You don't have to be "qualified" to mock religion
2. That joke is not actually mocking religion`
>>
>>88562327
The original of this makes me so fucking mad.

Oh man, I don't like this thing other people like. They must be pretending.

The worst part is I know a couple people like that.
>>
>>88561334
>5.) Addendum to number 4, he sticks his neck into situations he is totally unqualified to address (because SCIENCE can fix anything, amirite?). Example: mocking religion (https://xkcd.com/1152/ is one instance) because advocates for SCIENCE have outgrown such silly superstitions and Francis Collins don't real, nevermind the Vatican's long advocacy of science.

You're a bigger fucking faggot than he is. And he's a giant faggot!
>>
>>88568288
>>88567997
Both of these are true, which demonstrates how Trump had even less votes than Bush had when he was elected and still win.
>>
File: excitebike.png (111KB, 1224x222px) Image search: [Google]
excitebike.png
111KB, 1224x222px
>>88568815
And some of them run forums.
>>
>>88568913
>it's no more pretentious as other webcomics
It might not be the most pretentious webcomics out there but I've come across few that have matched XKCD's smugness and patronizing, especially when the author is trying to push their opinions as objective fact.
>>
>>88568365
It's not like they could have run that slogan even if they wanted to, Hillary was running on a platform that was basically Obama Part 2. That would be like Obama using the "Change" slogan if he was running on continuing Bush's policies.
>>
>>88564819
Any work that eschew actual characterization favour of racial stereotyping is depicting a racist worldview being correct. It doesn't necessary mean author feels that way about the real world, but the world they are inventing is a world where racism is 100% correct.
>>
>>88562346
>elves
>nature, organic shapes, divine abilities

>sauron's forces
>heavy industry, desolate lands and unnatural abilities or corrupt creatures

that actually sounds pretty accurate
>>
>>88561334
>anti-xkcd threat
>I'm currently reading Explain xkcd from start to finish.
>>
>>88574046
Oh god, I'm not excited about President Trump, but that's fucking hilarious.
>>
>>88568815
>Choices for President
>Reality TV star who sucks at running hotels
>A literal villain

Both options were pretty hype, Trumps more likable though.
>>
>>88562734
it's not racist if it is true
>>
XKCD is fucking trash. It has its head almost as far up its ass as zen pencils
>>
>>88576225
You're either shifting goalposts immensely or implying that there's something wrong with a fictional world where racism is correct (ignoring how very wrong you are for judging all of Tolkien's fictional people as races of one species when they're distinctly multiple).
>>
>>88561334
You can clearly see from his artistic work that everything is about feeling superior to other people.
>>
>>88576443
It's only true because he wanted it to be true, so...
>>
>>88561334
His science jokes are fun but I genuinely think he has some issues with socialization and I think those bear out in the comics where he attempts to mock social conventions or make a point about how we treat others.

Like the one about how he scoots away when people start talking behind others backs, while, you know, making a fucking webcomic about those people behind their back.
>>
>>88567997
Because they thought it was 'her time'.

She'd put a lot of work into becoming president, and was so inured in the Democrat party that there was this strange opinion that it was her RIGHT to be president.

They should have gone with Bernie.
>>
>>88561334
>mocking religion (https://xkcd.com/1152/ is one instance) because advocates for SCIENCE have outgrown such silly superstitions and Francis Collins don't real, nevermind the Vatican's long advocacy of science.
Whatever, I'm probably sperging out but I felt like sharing.
It always bugs me as an amateur historian that modern scientists are so laughably ignorant of religion's history with the sciences.
>>
>>88562734
>flat out made some groups to be better than others, those groups coincidentally being the ones we follow around for most of his writing
You missed the irony of the elves, man.

Elves are graceful, magical, immortal and fucked. They're bound to the song of the world and can't do anything to change it, nor can they die and go beyond Arda.

That is the gift of men, of hobbits and potentially dwarves. They can deviate from the song and, when they die, they can go join their creator beyond the veil and help him forge a new world after arda's demise.
>>
>>88568559
>when Russia props up dictators and helps terrorists they are literally the devil
>when we do it is to spread freedom
Americans are trash desu
>>
>>88563172
>There is explicit narrative racism in Tolkien's work
Sure there is, buddy.
> There is an explicit hierarchy of races
Not really, see above post.
>umenoreans being at the top and the peoples serving Sauron at the bottom, with the "higher" races having an implicit imperative to bring civilization to the lower ones.
The races that serve Sauron and Morgoth are corrupted versions and/or mockeries of the original races of Men, dwarves, elves and ents.

They aren't "meant to bring civilization" to the lesser ones. They were meant to repel their attacks, because they were created as weapons.
>>
>>88576944
>It's bad when Americans do it
>SO STOP CRITICIZING RUSSIA WHEN *THEY* DO IT
Shut up Vladmir.
>>
>>88576872
Organized religion has in general been less than helpful with modern science though. Like at some point does it really matter that religion pushed science forward a millennium ago when that same religion today is denying evolution and pretending the Earth is 6000 years old? (Yes, I know I'm generalizing, but XKCD, like most internet scientists is American, and batshit Christianity is the loudest form of religion in America).
>>
>>88568891
He already secured jobs domestically, though.
>>
>>88569177
>wanting globalism
>not realizing why people want domestic manufacturing
Are you just clueless or do you really think that outsourcing labour to third world shitholes helps america's general populace?
>>
>>88576998
He saved a few hundred crappy jobs while the better ones still went to Mexico and the company gets a giant tax break for it.

He even tried to pretend he saved ALL the jobs until people were like "no you only saved some of them" and then he shit talks them on Twitter for not mindlessly accepting everything he says.

He's a liar through and through.
>>
File: t3_44fdr7.png (63KB, 740x308px) Image search: [Google]
t3_44fdr7.png
63KB, 740x308px
>>88562457
>>
>>88562032
Tolkien was definitely a pretty typical early 20th century low-level racist with an obsession with blood lines and racial groups eg.
>Numenoreans vs "lesser men"
>different Hobbit racial groups in "Concerning Hobbits"
>Tooks and Bucklanders vs. regular lame-o Hobbits
>high elves vs. regular lame-o elves
>Saruman's miscegenated orc-men and the various Uruks vs. regular lame-o orcs

Also orcs are swarthy and slant-eyed and all non-Western races of men are basically just shallow Orientalist stereotypes. I don't think he was much worse than a lot of other people of his day, it's not like he was a Nazi or anything, his beef was mainly with "progress" and not the lesser breeds, I think you can like Tolkien and not feel too guilty about it (I do and I don't) it's just disingenuous to pretend the racist stuff isn't there. Also it mostly works in context because>>88570320
>>
>>88568559
>Russia planted jihadists into the Syrian rebellion

I hope you're still in this thread because I want to hear you explain this bullshit.
>>
>>88576969
> Like at some point does it really matter that religion pushed science forward a millennium ago when that same religion today is denying evolution and pretending the Earth is 6000 years old?
But creationism isn't the standard in christianity. It's an entirely recent thing(relatively). Is it right to shoot a faithful dog of many years because it shit on the carpet once?

Besides, my point wasn't defending modern christianty, which is so backbiting and bullshit that I don't even recognize it. My point was it's stupid to imply that religion was always book burning and witch hunts when religious institutions were where scientific studies advanced for centuries.

The church funded inventors and scientists, for fuck sakes.
>>
>>88570429
Simplistic morality tales aren't racist just because your useless english degree and tumblr say it is. They're simplistic because it's easier to understand. Especially because Redwall specifically is a book for children. Is 3 Little Pigs racist because the only bad guy is a wolf? What about Red Riding Hood? Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
>>
>>88577021
>He saved a few hundred crappy jobs while the better ones still went to Mexico and the company gets a giant tax break for it.
So he saves some jobs and makes sure a company stays partially domestic instead of relocating entirely to mexico and the response is "WELL YOU DIDN'T SAVE ENOUGH JOBS".

Man, do you play soccer? Because you sure love moving those goalposts.
>>
>>88576850
The Dems were treating the election like they were children taking turns with a toy. Hillary didn't get it last time so now it was her turn. To hell with the actual political climate or what the people wanted, their voter base would vote for whoever their masters chose because they're the democrats and they're always right.
>>
>>88577062
Yeah, I think it's important to note that being doesn't mean Tolkien actively hated other races, just that he adhered to the contemporary ideas on racial theory and saw the existence of races as a thing, rather than just an arbitrary division we see them as today.
>>
File: xkcd field of purity.jpg (40KB, 900x308px) Image search: [Google]
xkcd field of purity.jpg
40KB, 900x308px
>>88577036
Psst. The box IS mathematics. It wsa mathematics all along.
>>
>>88577089
Goalposts are football, anon.
>>
>>88577877
Yes, that's what he said.
>>
>>88567997
Best I can figure, the gamble was that she could beat anyone but Trump, and the Dems assumed the Right couldn't possibly be mad enough to let Trump win the primaries.
Lo and behold, Trump won the primaries, and their entire plan shit the bed.
>>
>>88577074
Recent thing? Well, they couldn't have denied evolution before theory was postulated, could they?

This was really the first time science actually threaded into what Christianity presented as fact and offered a better answer. And now Christianity has no moral authority whatsoever because it claimed to know how everything worked only to admit it doesn't.
>>
>>88577944
All the other Republican nominees were total garbage though. The Dems could have fielded a stale turkey sandwich and won over people like Yeb!
>>
>>88576967
How to completely miss the point of an argument by anon.
Y'know that pointing out hypocrisy isn't to say "Hey let us get away with what you're accusing people of"
It's to say "Hey both things are bad"
>>
>>88571199
Christ almighty you can tell he's never read a book that wasn't a scientific journal in his life.
>>
>>88577480
>Sociologist is just staring at a wall.
I can buy that.
>>
File: yurusan.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
yurusan.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
>>88561334
>mfw now not even linguistics is safe from this hack
Little fedoramancer should stick to his prime number """jokes"""".

What is it about STEMfags that make them think they are experts about everything and anything, no matter how removed from their field it may be?

Also, "It was I" is better.
>>
>>88572577
>The original of this makes me so fucking mad.
The joke is that he is out of touch, not that everyone but him is wrong. You might have a victim complex.
>>
>>88562211
Clinton at the very least knows global warming exists and isn't trying to dismantle the fcc. More than that, she's actually competent.

She was a far better choice. Either way, he's allowed to try to express his viewpoints. The entire comic is that anyway.
>>
>>88567547
>democrats half a century ago
>"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"
>democrats now
>"IT'S MY TURN TO BE PRESIDENT AND IF YOU DISAGREE YOU'RE A WOMAN-HATER"
>>
>>88561334
>grammatical case jokes
can you even imagine being the sort of person who finds this funny
>>
>>88579949
Are you the kind of person that gets angry at someone for correcting you?
>>
>>88567871
>Most corrupt

Pretty impressive how propaganda can make people think like this.

Have you seen the shit people do? Chris Cristie is an easy example.
>>
>>88577036
Atheism isn't a scientific field of study, Anon.
>>
>>88567997
This distinctly isn't true. Hillary's entire unpopularity occurred out of one thing- emails. And it worked. I'm pretty sure Republicans could pull another single button issue on any candidate. Thats how they beat gore, too. Gore, with a purple heart.

America needs this hard lesson.
>>
>>88567997
They wanted a repeat of Obama's campaign, and since Obama is black, the next logical step was a woman candidate.
>>
>>88580529
>Hillary's entire unpopularity occurred out of one thing- emails.
Unbelievingman.jpg
>>
File: aa.png (24KB, 793x103px) Image search: [Google]
aa.png
24KB, 793x103px
>>88569686
He's a knob.
>>
>reddit the webcomic
>>
>>88579725
She tried to turn Pepe into a hate symbol for Nazis, she was a fucking idiot.
>>
>>88581176
>i am le smart science man sports games are beneath me
>>
>>88581341
Clinton didn't brand Pepe a hate symbol. ADL did.
>>
>>88577480
add a mirror in front of sociology and perfect
>>
>>88581176
Yes, it has nothing to do with many disadvantages flying car would have.
>>
>>88581756
>Clinton didn't brand Pepe a hate symbol.
https://www.hillaryclinton.com/feed/donald-trump-pepe-the-frog-and-white-supremacists-an-explainer/
>>
>>88582336
Obnoxious, but doesn't change the fact that ADL was the one to brand it a hate meme. Clinton just followed along.
>>
File: lucky for you i'm a dog lover.jpg (77KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
lucky for you i'm a dog lover.jpg
77KB, 1000x563px
>>88576850
>Old-ass jew motherfucker who's politics boil down to that "I'm as mad as hell and i'm not gonna take it anymore" scene in Network

I'd have easily voted for him instead, no question. WW3 just didn't seem hot enough for me to vote Hillary.
>>
>>88582391
That's exactly one of her major problems : she doesn't really stand for anything, just whatever is popular at the moment and never sticks with it
>>
>>88582752
Pokemon GO to the polls
>>
>>88582752
I feel like it also reveals that Clinton is actually not all that competent.

She has lots of experience, yes, but what's she ever actually won? She was gifted a free Senate seat in the most liberal state in the country. She voted for the war in Iraq and still defends that vote today She lost the 2008 primary to Obama. As Secretary of State she bungled Libya and helped create ISIS. And this year she only won the nomination because her only opposition was a crazy old Jewish socialist, who STILL had a moment where it looked like he might win.

Clinton isn't competent at all. She keeps getting handed things and positions, and then when she actually has to make decisions and do things for herself, she cocks it up.
>>
>>88582876
>Clinton isn't competent at all. She keeps getting handed things and positions, and then when she actually has to make decisions and do things for herself, she cocks it up.
A feminist icon.
>>
>>88581341
>She tried to turn Pepe into a hate symbol for Nazis
Clinton wasn't the one running around spamming images of Pepe killing brown Wojacks with tattooed Swastikas on his chest. If you're going to do this revisionist shit, wait for the regime to get a bit further along.
>>
>>88582752
To be fair, that was also Trump's strategy.

He just has salesman technique down so people actually bought his bullshit.
>>
>>88583234
>misunderstanding memes this much
>>
>>88581176
I highly doubt that the obese, middle-aged losers who care about professional football were ever going to contribute anything anyway. Sitting on your fat ass watching young, virile men play sports is the ultimate act of self-cuckoldry.
>>
Honestly though, it's not like your liberal arts degrees are actually contributing to society. Do you guys really think you're as good as a STEM major?
>>
>>88562132
>There's just such a sense
>radiates from these comics
>I find hard to put into words.
>I think
>it doesn't make sense
>It just feels
So based on a mother of all assumptions you come to a conclusion. Of sorts. At least you
>find hard to put into words.
You tried.

And that is really all.
>>
>>88580606

Unfortunately, they forgot a key point about women: Women hate women.
>>
>>88562494
It's disingenuous to say that LOTR wasn't a Catholic work. Of course there were no references to Catholicism, it was set in a time before the church existed. In his letters, Tolkien admitted to using theological themes.

>>88568299
He was a critic of the liberals, not the church.
>>
>>88562501
Religion is what creates identity and culture. Technocratic secularism didn't work in the Soviet Union, it won't work for the West.
>>
>>88577062
The races in Tolkien mythology aren't comparable to the races in real life though. They're clearly different species and there's nothing to suggest that Tolkien thought this way about actual humans.
>>
>>88578158
>Recent thing? Well, they couldn't have denied evolution before theory was postulated, could they?

A literal interpretation of Genesis hasn't been necessary since St. Augustine, and theories of evolution were advocated by William of Conches in the 12th century without any Church censure.

>This was really the first time science actually threaded into what Christianity presented as fact and offered a better answer.

Except the Church never condemned Evolution.

>And now Christianity has no moral authority whatsoever because it claimed to know how everything worked only to admit it doesn't.

When did the church admit that it understood how every bit of the material universe worked? The point of Scholasticism and natural theology was to find out how it worked. And what does a general acceptance of evolution have to do with morality?
>>
My problems with XKCD

1.) It's shit.
>>
>>88583325
Really? Because Trump was the one creating the talking points himself most of the the time rather than the other way around. He doesn't wait for something to get popular, he makes it popular himself. Hell, with most of his issues he went completely against the grain that a lot of establishment types were trying to pull. I doubt immigration or jobs leaving the US wouldn't have been the two defining issues this election if it wasn't for him.
>>
>>88561900
>why does everyone leave critical secret messages as simple riddles?
It was so that if a monster like Cluny made it into the Abbey for an extended period of time he couldn't just take Martin's sword. He'd have to actually KNOW things about the Abbey that he couldn't simply figure out by looking (such as the secret tunnel to Martin's tomb). Anyone who could solve Martin's riddles proved they were dedicated to the Abbey and thus worthy of his sword.
>>
>>88561334
>mocking religion (https://xkcd.com/1152/ is one instance)

I dont get it, how is this mocking religion? any christian kid probably wonders about the flesh and blood part once in their lives
>>
>>88572577
Many alcoholic beverages are an "acquired taste" because alcohol itself its disgusting. Basically, what this means is that people put themselves through something they don't like until they DO like it. Coffee and tea are similar, since they're both pretty bitter.
Most people who drink beer actually start it because of an alcoholic culture, not because it's actually good. [Your most hated beer]? Guess what, it has millions of drinkers, and not because it's good. There aren't many people who actually have any taste with alcohol outside of maybe wine and a few other expensive drinks.
>>
>>88586922
What's your point? Acquired tastes and pretending to like something are not the same thing.
>>
My hobby: shitting on XKCD.
>>
>>88587021
Is this rhetorical? Most people acquire the taste of beer because people around them like getting a buzz (or drunk), so they pretend to like it. Beer is hardly high-class, so you can expect most consumers not to have high taste.
>>
>The problem was, he undermined his own moral by having all the characters buried in their phones while this was happening.
Wasn't that the joke
>>
>>88586922
Randall plz
>>
>>88587099
Or they're curious about what the centuries of fuss is and keep trying until they figure it out.

And the pleasant effects of the alcohol don't hurt.
>>
>>88586922
Partially that's true, but partially it's also because tastebuds change as you grow older and most people start to appreciate bitter shit more. I haven't weened myself on dark chocolate, I don't eat it very often, yet out of the blue I sometimes feel like I really want something bitter and nasty instead of sweet and pleasant like milk chocolate.

The problem with the whole alcohol thing is that it's really heated on both sides, for no fucking reason. Beer has been tied to the idea of 'adulthood', so people who like beer (sometimes) feel they're superior to people who don't, and look down on people who insist they don't want to drink it. Conversely, people who don't like beer get mad and insist the beer drinkers must be faking it so that they can be pretentious fucks. The problem isn't whether people like beer or not, the problem is that it's been tied to a completely arbitrary and secondary trait of being 'adult' and 'normal'. You don't see this shit with other acquired flavors like, say, tea or dark chocolate. Nobody will look at you funny for refusing either, so nobody tries to accuse people of just faking it.
>>
>>88570429
>please stop replying I can't think of a good aurgument
>>
>>88566783
Remember when he supported Obama over Hillary because Obama was our best chance to bring transparency to government and eliminate corruption? I guess he grew out of that phase.

>Obama has shown a real commitment to open government.
>Obama stands against bad governing not only in his support of specific practices like open data standards and basic network neutrality, but in his work against corruption from day one. He’s sponsored legislation to restrict gifts to Congress by industry representatives (which also carried a whole slew of anti-corruption measures that were a breath of fresh air). He’s fought against vote fraud. He’s been pushing for election and lobbying reform from the start, and in his campaign he’s refused to take lobbyist money.
>Clinton has done nothing of the sort, and when questioned seems baffled that anyone would have a problem with what is, by any reasonable standard, bribery. I find her basic lack of integrity troubling, and I think as president she would continue fighting to maintain the status quo.
>The Democratic party has a long, painful history of nominating unlikable, uncharismatic ‘default’ establishment candidates who are eventually swatted aside by the voters. Nominating Clinton would be continuing that tradition at the very time when we have a chance to do so much better.
>>
>>88588407
The two party system means that whoever's "your guy" is the one you have to vote for. It's like Trump, republicans may have put up a big stink about him abandoning good christian values and shit like banning evolution and gay marriage, but they still went out and voted for him anyway.
>>
>>88588407
He could still very well hold these views, but with Clinton versus Trump he just chose what he believed to be the lesser evil. He couldn't say "go vote for a third party" because that would just split the vote.
>>
>>88588692
It's one thing to hold one's nose and vote for the lesser of two evils, but quite another to unreservedly endorse the candidate.
>>
>>88588718
If he didn't go gungho in endorsing Clinton, he may as well not endorse her at all. "Ehh, go vote for Hillary I guess, she's kinda better" isn't the type of thing that will convince people already fed up with the election season.
>>
File: brad.jpg (23KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
brad.jpg
23KB, 512x384px
Basically his problem is like MENSA. Obsessed with intellect, uses it to play shallow games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ErKe36lHd0
>>
>>88566999
I'm surprised /pol/ never did a psyop where they got "#ImDoneWithHer" trending on Twitter.
>>
>>88566348
What was the originally copied joke?
>>
>>88584193
>I doubt the obese milde aged men who listen to music would have ever contributed anything anyways
Standing in a crowd watching young virle men play guitar and sing is the ultimate act of self cuckoldry
This is you
>>
>>88589068
#HilllaryForPrison is way more catchy.
>>
>>88589104
#HillaryForPrison sounds like something your conservative aunt would come up with. #ImDoneWithHer sounds like a tough black womyn who's fed up with alla yo shit.
>>
>>88589083
>>
File: 2009_called.png (25KB, 502x324px) Image search: [Google]
2009_called.png
25KB, 502x324px
>>88589350
>>88589083
>>
>>88589350
It's also more funny because Reginald is sincere. Randall's self-insert was just being a dick and calling someone else a dick in the process. The dick.
>>
File: 2012-04-26-beartato-missing05.png (124KB, 800x1075px) Image search: [Google]
2012-04-26-beartato-missing05.png
124KB, 800x1075px
>>88589388
We need a real pro on this case. Somebody call Slylock Fox
>>
>>88577480
Should be
>xkcd Plato's cave.jpg
>>
>>88580403
Clinton leads a cabal of pedophile Satanist cannibals. Google "Pizzagate" you cuck.
>>
>>88577018
If Amerifats actually bought Made in America instead of heading to Walmart, I'd agree with you.
>>
>>88585837
Yes, but he was still bouncing off the opinions of a major portion of the electorate and vacillating on opinions state to state. Hell, he appoints one of the most anti-LGBT vice presidential candidates in years and then comes out after his win with a gay pride flag.

Like I said, he's a better salesman than Hillary.
>>
>>88591319
>then comes out after his win with a gay pride flag
There's an error in your timeline, sir:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/2/donald-trump-holds-high-flag-gay-equality/
>November 2nd
>>
>>88589350
>>88589376
It's funny because it really is the exact same joke except for the part where the delivery sucks
Thread posts: 274
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.