[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on the current state of Marvel? What do you like and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 5

File: mahvelbaby.jpg (301KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
mahvelbaby.jpg
301KB, 1024x768px
Thoughts on the current state of Marvel?

What do you like and what do you hate.

Also, if someone's new to comics or has been away from Marvel for years, what should they get into?
>>
>>88525368
What I like:

Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows
Uncanny Avengers
Moon Knight
Slapstick
Spider-Man/Deadpool
Carnage
Cage!
Daredevil
Deadpool

What I hate:

Pretty much everything else.
>>
>>88525440
What's left besides X Men?
>>
>>88525440
What about hydra cap?
>>
I don't buy the concerns about accessibility, any interested fan is going to buy something regardless of whether they fully understand it.

I walked right out of Avengers into my local Hastings and bought Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers, even though I barely had an idea of what was going on.
>>
>>88525588
Trash
>http://www.newsarama.com/31107-marvel-comics-december-2016-solicitations.html

>>88525746
Haven't read it yet, but I do like Spencer though, so it's just a matter of me not having gotten around to it.
>>
Prepare for a lot of MARLEL XD memers from /v/.

That said, there are some major problems. They have a big lack of strong talent. They went and got exclusives with guys like Soule and Lemire who went on to start turning in their worst work in years. Waid and Slott have gone completely bananas. Is editorial using too strong a hand, or not strong enough of one? Whichever it is, they need to do the opposite.

Bendis doing whatever he fucking wants has finally bitten them in the ass with CWII, people don't want 2006-style events anymore, Bendis is a relic and his shitty style isn't what people want to read. They need to stop treating him like their premiere writer.

Reign in people like Waid and Slott on social media, every five minutes they're causing some big kerfuffle, them and Aaron and some others are letting social media criticism leak into their writing making them look like retarded babies. Look at Wilson, Bunn, and others, they're very professional and take criticism well.

Shit like gimmick legacies and other bait is just gonna happen because that's Marvel. But if they get the creators under control and putting out strong work, it'll counterbalance it, just like it did in the 80's.
>>
>>88525440
>Uncanny Avengers
Did it get any better? I read first 3 issues and got too bored by it to continue.
>>
>>88526333
It gets really good, especially during the Hank Pym story.
>>
>>88525368
They've got a lot of issues right now, but there's still quite a few good books and the state of their comic line is nowhere near as bad as shitposters would have you believe. Civil War II was/is a fucking disaster though.

Books I'm currently enjoying:
>Ultimates^2
>Cage!
>Foolkiller
>Amazing Spider-man: Renew Your Vows
>Captain America: Steve Rogers
>Squadron Supreme
>Nova
>Unbelievable Gwenpool
>Moon Knight
>Avengers
>Uncanny Avengers
>Power Man and Iron Fist
>Unworthy Thor
>Ms. Marvel
>Carnage
Pretty excited for Royals, Black Bolt, Kingpin, Cable, USAvengers and Iron Fist but they haven't launched yet.
>>
>>88525892
>I walked right out of Avengers into my local Hastings
Yeah, too bad Hastings is gone now, which has been a massive blow to the industry considering they were the biggest chain retailer for direct market comics.
>>
>>88525368
>Thoughts on the current state of Marvel?

The worst it's ever been, which is saying somthing. And it's not getting any better.

>What do you like and what do you hate.
I hate their constant attempts to show heroes as "flawed" by making them all reprehensible psychopaths, I hate their constant pushing of legacies and editorially mandated replacement characters (hell shithumans,) I hate their insurance on not taking things seriously and making everyone quiplords and joke characters, I hate their nonsensical continuity that all the writers ignore anyway, and I hate that their talent pool is the absolute bottom of the barrel in the industry.

The only thing I like is that they will occasionally let artists venture off of house style.

>Also, if someone's new to comics or has been away from Marvel for years, what should they get into?

DC.
>>
>>88526788
>DC.
At least recommend something good like Valiant.
>>
>>88526867
>valiant
>good

indieshits are this stupid
>>
>>88526326
>people don't want 2006-style events anymore

How are recent events different from events back then?
>>
>>88526597
>Kingpin

He's getting a book? Holy shit that's awesome.
>>
File: 1481142808818.jpg (222KB, 655x994px) Image search: [Google]
1481142808818.jpg
222KB, 655x994px
>>88525368
I think Marvel's in one of the most horrible states it's ever been, and it comes down to SJW hamfisted replacements of core characters intentionally generating anger to create controversy to create sales which... ultimately failed, and is incredibly damaging for the long term.

Wanting to create diversity by using brand new characters? Okay, I'll agree that I enjoyed early Kamala Ms Marvel, Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider, and the idea of a black kid spider-man even if his origin story was utter shit and writers have done little to make the character compelling to identify with.

Mass replacements was a mistake. Destroying the X-men might have been necessary (in some peoples' eyes) but the damage it would do was horribly underestimated. Big reboots and Civil War rehash style stories of heroes fighting heroes for incredibly stupid reasons was a mistake.

Someone new getting into Marvel should probably give Spider-man a try and possibly the Avengers titles, but right now the only title I would recommend would be Usagi Yojimbo. Which isn't Marvel.
>>
>>88528647
Hispanic Ghost Rider, female Thor, black female Iron Man, black Captain America, female Spider Man, black Fury... Am I missing anyone? I must be missing a few. Tough to keep up with Marvel's SJW pandering.
>>
Marvel is making comic history these days.
Anons on /co/ are freaking out and screaming about how much they don't like change, but it's all meaningless panic.
Marvel is creating new expectations of what their most famous comic properties could and can be and incorporating the original concepts of their properties in such a way that they've managed to blend nostalgia and innovation.
There's a genius here that's not being recognized for what it is.
Honestly, I haven't had this feeling about comics since WildStorm was first published and everyone thought the big two were going to be the big three from then on.
Every complaint seems to be about how the past was better and nothing should ever change.
And every bit of praise is always accompanied by excited wondering of what's about to happen next.
It's not hard to see why Marvel's controversial, but it is becoming hard to understand why people think it's the death of the industry.
I was reading Marvel back in the '90s during the bankruptcy and before and after it.
The "good old days" that anons are crying for weren't good.
Today is a good time to be reading Marvel.
>>
>>88529061
Waaaa! Waaaaaaugh! Waaaaaugh!
White power baby want his pander-bottle!
>>
>dead, dead, dead, evil, outside reality, depowered, a fucking retard, gay, trapped in another Clone Saga, sterile, sterile, sterile, sterile st-
Welp
>>
>>88529120
0/10
>>
>>88529092
Pre secret wars Marvel was certainly better than now, so you don't even have to go that far back.
>>
>>88528647
>>88529061

It always comes down to the same thing for you /pol/acks and it's obvious you don't even read comics.
>>
>>88530120
And WHAT was so great about that era?
The innovations?
The changing up of the status quo?
The risk taking?
The pushing of boundaries?
The messaging?
The pothead hippie radicalism?
The discarding of a book's past characters?
The reinvention of characters?
The replacement of characters?
The destructive-to-status-quo story arcs?
The introduction of new and controversial characters?
>>
>>88530212
Just facts, buttercup. If you honestly don't think they're pandering at this point, you're blind or stupid.
>>
>>88530316
Just the fact that there actually were some readable books between Marvel now and ANAD.
>>
>>88530394
Acknowledging racial diversity exists in REALITY (remember, that thing you hate so much?) isn't "pandering".
...no matter how much the White Powerless Movement sells you on your own victimization in order to motivate more hatecrimes.
You're cowering in fear of a threat that doesn't exist.
Way to represent the utmost potential of your race.
If only someone can pretend to be strong! Then you can grovel like your racial instincts demand!
>>
>>88530663
>you disagree with me so you're a racist

Pretty much all you've got. Keep digging that hole though.
>>
>>88525368
They've fallen low enough for me to give up on them. I've always been primarily a Marvelfag but I've had just about enough of them pushing their liberal agenda in my face, the fact that they destroy any characters whose movie rights they don't own(X men, FF), their dirty strategies(#1 issues when it's actually #12, purposefully angering their fans in hopes of selling more). They're clearly lost in the comic department and don't seem to care to make things better.
>>
>>88529061
Female Wolverine, old guy Wolverine, Icegay, asian kid Hulk, hispanic kid Nova (the real one seems to be back though)...
>>
Some people need to be reminded that when they begin a conversation about how races should be portrayed, that is racism, that is racism started by them, and to oppose that ugly off-topic behavior is not racism.
>>
>>88531099
>when they begin a conversation about how races should be portrayed

If only that actually happened.
>>
>>88525368
Marvel is a fucking joke right now, its like if someone wrote down what a pile of shit looked like, then that description went through and editorial committee, got sent to an artist, got printed, then made its way to my fucking mailbox, whereupon i say who but this fucking turd in my mailbox
>>
>>88529092
They're giving away books to pad sale numbers. This is obviously unsustainable. Therefore, dying.
>>
>>88531817
its awful im a 20 year plus x-men/marvel fan i was paying money to watch them slowly murder characters i like so i canceled everything
>>
>>88529061
>>88528647
Marvel has literally always pandered to the left. Always.
>>
It seems a lot of people hate on Marvel on principle because they changed favorite characters or de-emphasized the mutants, but, hey, there's always at least some good stuff coming from every publisher. Anyone that is foaming at the mouth to insist on the shittiness of Marvel as a whole is being an idiot. Sure, it's irritating to see hyper-liberal rubbish in some of the books, and sure they haven't handled the transitions of some of their characters very elegantly, but swearing alliance to one publisher over another is always dumb. I mean, do still fight about Sony vs. Microsof, too? Are you being paid by Marvel of DC? No? Then why are you so pathetically fucking needy about everyone pointless hating on an entire company? Discuss the merits of individual books, recommend better alternatives, but don't be a company cuck. Don't be a shrill, autistic faggot about it. Sheesh.

I've been reading more Marvel than DC recently (call it a habit, because I think what DC is doing with Rebirth is pretty damn good), and I can say that you do have to search to find the good comics in their line-up. Many of the titles that should be their obvious flagships are mostly crap: Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Mighty Thor, for instance. I haven't read much Uncanny X-Men or the Amazing Spiderman but they get a lot of hate here -- I'm not sure I trust that hate, but interesting to note. What people have said above about too much reliance on Waid and Bendis, who are failing to give in their best work, sounds about right. But the good stuff is there.

I'll give recommendations in another post, this one was getting too long.
>>
>>88526522
That was the only time it was good. Rest is bland and pointless.
>>
>>88533076

Too early in the morning, so many typos. Anyway:

Black Widow is one of the best action comics out there. Vision is one of the best dramas. Carnage is one of the better horror comics.

Uncanny Avengers, Ant-Man and Gwen-Pool are all pretty great comedy-action books.

Black Panther is a bit of a clunky read and hard to get into, but as you do the characters are situations feel better realized than any other comic out there -- the writer is a novelist, so maybe that explains it. It really feels like reading a story develop, rather than working towards a predetermined outcome (and back to the status quo). Setting it in Wakanda, away from the rest of the MU characters, probably helped. It's an interesting one.

The Iron Man books are okay (I'm especially interested in seeing what they do in Infamous), and pretty much all the Inhuman books are fine too (including Ms. Marvel and Mosaic). Totally Awesome Hulk had some fun early issues with tasty Frank Cho art, though not sure where it's at now.

Squirrel Girl is really divisive (won't be everybody's sense of humor) but I like it. It goes pretty off the wall, such as the choose your own adventure issue.

I haven't read enough Moon Knight to judge, but a lot of people like it a lot.

I there is so much I haven't even look at and probably won't bother: Daredevil, Spiderman, X-men, Powerman and Iron Fist, Deadpool, Squadron Supreme, Scarlet Witch, Ghost Rider, Karnak, much of the space stuff... I'm sure there is plenty of other cool stuff to find if you're willing to look and not hate on an entire company's output for dumb reasons.
>>
>>88529313
Everyone is dead on that picture, Reed aside.
>>
>>88533157
>The Iron Man books are okay
>pretty much all the Inhuman books
>much of the space stuff
Leave. Don't look back.
>>
>>88533255

I said I haven't read the space stuff, so I don't know what you're implying. That they're all great?

And, yeah. It's fun seeing Victor in the Iron-Man armor...
>>
>>88533486

...and they're building up some pretty cool lore with the Inhumans. Cool characters, pretty well plotted out stories that don't always come down to punching the bad guy.
>>
File: 1482179395832.jpg (309KB, 988x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1482179395832.jpg
309KB, 988x1500px
YAAS QUEEN starts this week!
>>
>>88526597
>Cage!

How the fuck can you stand that atrocious art?
>>
>>88526936
They didn't have like three a year back then
>>
>>88525368
What I like:
Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel
Spider-Man/Deadpool
Cage!
Deadpool
Ultimates

What I hate:
Everything
>>
>>88526597
Squadron Supreme isn't too bad. Obviously I was upset they killed Namor but things are looking better.
>>
>>88533837
>>88526936
It's more that since the success of Civil War Marvel's whole line has mostly been built around this type of event, and people are getting tired of constant events, especially when they're followed by #1 relaunches. The arrival of an event literally called Civil War 2 just was the last straw for a lot of people.
>>
>>88525368
State of Marvel is meh.

I like that they try new stuff and innovations, evolutions of certain ips.
I even like the overall approach of diversity.

But i hate that they do it forcefully and sometimes on the back of legendaries.
And i hate to see that they evolve the MU too far away from the cinematic MU. Fans of the movies dont know what the comics are about and have to backsearch why the hulk they know is someone else with new support cast.

I like how they intruduced Miles and Laura Wolverine. And Ms Marvel.
But it feels like Marvel isnt keen to develope stories and characters, but Ips to promote and force things because they have to.
>>
>>88525368
>What do you like
Nothing
>what do you hate
Everything

>Also, if someone's new to comics
Stay away from Marvel
>or has been away from Marvel for years
Don't come back
>>
I really liked the first wave of Marvel now because it got me into reading Thor, Cap, Hulk, Iron Man, Spidey and a whole bunch of other people who I was reluctant to get into because of high numberings. Xmen was great at the time, and I didn't hate Bendis at first. But after 2 or 3 relaunches they lost all the good will. I'm only still reading Silver Surfer.
>>
>>88525368
Lemire is pretty much carrying Marvel right now, Fucking traitor, left DC paradise for Thanos
>>
>>88534789
>people are getting tired of constant events
I don't think that that's true.

People are getting tired of LINE WIDE events that HAVE NO ACTUAL POINT. Secret Wars II was very well received and sold really really well, for example; but that was something that happened after several YEARS of build up and had ACTUAL CONSEQUENCES.

Compare with something like Age of Ultron where they slap the reset button at the end.

People are also really really sick of lame "hero vs hero because reasons" events. Avengers Vs X-Men was pretty hyped when it was announced but the writing was shit whereas Civil War II was obviously a rushed bullshit excuse to rehash the older event and cash in on the name of the movie that was coming out and is being followed by IvX (ie Yet Another Contrived Hero vs Hero Event).

And it's not like it's just Marvel: over at DC you've got the piss-weak Hitch League and the mediocre Suicide Squad being turned into a 'vs' event that's also obviously due to the popularity of the Sqwad movie and the upcoming League movie.

I'm looking forward to the Big Event that they're going to get around to eventually that digs into Dr Manhattan and Mr Oz and the Stolen Time Shenanigans ... JL vs SS, not so much.
>>
>>88536948
This.
>>
>>88525368
bring back dark beast
>>
>>88526326
>Lemire who went on to start turning in their worst work in years.

bro, his Moon Knight is amazing. what are you talking about?
>>
What I like: potential for better Xmen coming up, daredevil, moonknight, all this bullshit gives me time to catch up on non big two books i missed

What i hate: everything else not mentioned
>>
>>88537263
>Secret Wars II was very well received and sold really really well

You mean Secret Wars III? Or was it IV. Whichever one it was you mean the Hickman one, right?
>>
>>88525368
Carnage and Moon Knight are really good. The only titles I'm buying right now though anbd I'm reading them in the TPB format. I think I heard Carnage was canceled, so thats a bummer for me, but theres still TPBs of the rest of the series on the way.

I'm reading Spider-Man in storytimes posted on /co/ after dropping it years ago, but only because I love clone shit and the Jackal and Ben Reilly are back, but so far its shit not worth buying.

New Venom series sucks, but go back and buy the Agent Venom books, they were top tier
>>
>>88529092
Pandering aside, the stories are shit and make no sense at all and have no consequences, they could all be same face, brown haired white men in their 30s but the books are still all shit. The pandering is just a wart on the herpes infested dick that is marvel
>>
>>88538273
I thought he meant II, the readable one from 30 years ago.
>>
>>88525368
I have no clue, I jumped off in 2007.
OMD killed my marvel thrill.
>>
>>88525368
Anything published before 1990. It's where the masterworks are.
>>
>>88538212
The writing is mediocre. The only reason to read it is for the artists.
>>
>>88525368
Carnage
Cage!
Moon Knight
Ultimates
Spider-Man/Deadpool
Nova

That's it
>>
>>88525368
Current Marvel is sinking.
What I like is Ultimates, Foolkiller, OML and Squadron Supreme.
What I hate is Squirrel Girl and everything with Bendis on it.
>Also, if someone's new to comics or has been away from Marvel for years, what should they get into?
DC
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.