[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Astro City

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

I've not read it yet, but I know that pic related is an analog of the Trinity. What other DC or MARVEL analogs are in this series?
>>
>>88497808
It'd probably be easier to just go "what DC or Marvel analogs AREN'T in this series?" Because, yeah, that's like 70% of the characters.
>>
>>88497808
The First Family is an analogue to the Fantastic Four. Haven't read far into it yet, there's probably a lot more.
>>
It has an F4 analogue.
>>
Is Silver Agent basically Cap?
>>
>>88497808
The whole thing is a meta commentary on comics in general, there's a lot of homage characters. Hell, one of the arcs is literally about the 90s Edge era.
>>
Also, what about the clown guy? Is he like an Earth 3 Joker or something?
>>
>>88497911
Yes. He even gets "killed" and sent through time.
>>
>>88497942
Allegedly he's Spider-man, but I don't see it.
>>
>>88497942
He's kind've a spider-man homage, a colourful wise-cracking vigilante.
All in all most of the characters aren't 1:1 versions of established characters though, a lot of them are more homages to character archetypes.
>>
>>88497808
>antpic
Phoneposters should be shot.
>>
>>88498013
It was actually on PC, but you know who they are.
>>
>>88498013
it's not even a phone poster, the pic has a proper name besides image.jpg
>>
Hangman's Spectre?
>>
>>88497911
He is, but then there's also Black Rapier who has Cap elements to him as well, along with some Batman and Green Arrow.
>>
File: astro-city-trinity-by-alex-ross.jpg (284KB, 1191x1800px) Image search: [Google]
astro-city-trinity-by-alex-ross.jpg
284KB, 1191x1800px
>>88498013
OP here.
Here's a better one.
>>
>>88498085
Spectre's the most obvious one, but there's some general Supernatural Hero elements to him as well. I'd say there's a bit of Swamp Thing/Man-Thing in there as well, particularly in how he haunts one area and protects it.
>>
>>88497953
Actually i think Dark Ages and the silver agent mini, are both before Cap eve got "killed".
>>
>>88498173
Nah, Cap died in 2008, The Dark Age was 2010.
>>
>>88497808
There was this ghost cop that killed criminals, that was kinda of a ghost rider equivalent.
>>
>>88498234
There are like, three ghost rider equivalents. There's the one you mentioned, there was a Vietnam vet that came back possessed by a demon, and there was the dark rider that was the force behind the Blue Knight.
>>
File: Silver_Adept_0003.jpg (81KB, 427x474px) Image search: [Google]
Silver_Adept_0003.jpg
81KB, 427x474px
The Silver Adept which is their Dr. Strange
>>
>>88498307
He also became Swamp Thing later on.
>>
MPH/The Acceleration Ace = Flash
Honor Guard = Justice League
E.A.G.L.E. = S.H.I.E.L.D. or whatever equivalent exists in the DC Universe for policing metahumans
The Astro City Irregulars = A mix of the Teen Titans and X-Men
>>
Is it generally worth reading? Marvels is obviously dope. My friend swears by Autumnlands. Another guy I know swears by Secret Identity. I've not read either. This series seems right up my alley, though.
>>
>>88497911

If you add a Flash-esque story to his death, by which I mean basically a combination of all the means that Wolfman thought up to allow Barry to still be active after Crisis on Infinite Earths (going through different time periods and dimensions fighting and fighting until he eventually would have to face his final fate; becoming the very energy/lightning bolt that imbued him with his abilities in the first place)
>>
>>88498499

Astro City is great, it's like what you'd wish DC and Marvel could be like now. There's some average/bad stories here and there (obviously subjective), but overall the majority of the stories are fantastic reads.
>>
>>88498499
Yes, Astro City is absolutely worth reading. It has its highs and lows, as does anything that's been running as long as it has, but if you're a fan of the cape genre then you owe it to yourself to read it.
>>
>>88498233
The Dark Age started in 2004, though
>>
>>88498571
>>88498595
Glad to hear it. There's a David Bowie sort of character, isn't there?
>>
>>88498499
Astro City is one of the best ongoing cape comics ever published
>>
>>88498499
Astro City's been the best ongoing superhero comic for the past fifteen years.
>>
>>88498499
Yeah, it's good. It has its flaws as everything has (the stories sometimes strain too hard to have a neat lesson) but it's one of the best of the "what would it really feel like to live in a superhero world" subgenre.

Also a lot of the stories are done-in-one (with a few longer stories mixed in) so you can jump in pretty much anywhere.

One of my favorite stories is a story of an analog to Silver Age Lois Lane trying to get (yet another) Superman analog to marry her by proving his secret identity. It's an affectionate spoof of SA Superman but also makes a touching case for why someone in that particular time might have acted the way she did, and how the pre-feminist heroines paved the way for the... anyway it's a good story and I'm making it sound preachy, which it's not.
>>
>>88498662

The Broken Man, yeah. I can't remember if he ever is the main in any but one storyline. He's a "speak to the reader" type character.
>>
Tell me about the star-spangled, big-headed, blonde girl.
>>
>>88498884
Some female video-game developer created American Chibi for a game and somehow she became real along with the monsters from her creator's nightmares.

I was hoping it was a 40-year old guy that turned into his waifu but I didn't turn out that way.
>>
>>88499016
I think Deadpool and "whacky" characters are usually boring. Do you think I'd like her character or think she's annoying?
>>
>>88499075
I doubt she will get annoying since she doesn't stick around long enough to get annoying. Many characters only get one comic arc to shine before they get put into the background. I think the Broken Man might annoy you more than anything.
>>
>>88499231
Is he anything like The Sovereign in Venture Bros.? That's a mystical Bowie I can get behind.
>>
>>88499075
From what i remember she wasn't particualry whacky, plus she isn't very relevant outside her arc which is just a couple of issues.
>>
Good series
>>
>>88501312

The Confessions arc is one of my favorite superhero stories, hands down.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.