[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sugar High

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

File: Miss-Bianca.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Miss-Bianca.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
Why is it we seem to live in an age where the saccharine, light hearted, and over the top positive seems to thrive above all and is celebrated almost militantly? Meanwhile anything with the slightest hint of cynicism, seriousness, or crassness gets dubbed "2 edgy" even though it might hardly even be so? Is it merely a reaction to the 90s and early 00s which were all about darkness and kicking innocence in it's teeth for laughs and in order for anything to be "credible" it had to have an adult appeal or some kind of cool factor, or is it because the people are wimps now and can't even handle fictional media that isn't bright and happy and might possibly remind them of the shitty state of the world they live in?
>>
I dunno man, Bianca seems like a pretty positive person.
>>
File: redwall.jpg (43KB, 350x523px) Image search: [Google]
redwall.jpg
43KB, 350x523px
Counterpoint
<- Redwall- has talking animals, has upbeat and positive message...overall. Also has wars and plagues
>>
>>88495886
>Is it merely a reaction to the 90s and early 00s which were all about darkness and kicking innocence in it's teeth for laughs and in order for anything to be "credible" it had to have an adult appeal or some kind of cool factor
... Why did you make this thread?

Also, is it wrong that I find Eva Gabor's voice sexy?
>>
File: highasshit.gif (367KB, 256x255px) Image search: [Google]
highasshit.gif
367KB, 256x255px
op is high as a kite
>>
>>88495886
That's just /co/ and people who watch Mr. Enter.
>>
>>88495886
>sugar high
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eykL4ZRofqw
>>
>>88496005
>... Why did you make this thread?

To discuss the current state of comics and cartoons where there is a serious "anti" attitude towards anything that isn't lighthearted or positive, generally speaking
>>
>>88496534
There isn't such a thing, you made it up, and you are drunk.
>>
>>88495886
Lots of people like Rick and Morty, and that has plenty of cynicism in it.
>>
>>88495886
I want to make love to dat mouse.
>>
>>88496534

I think you need to read and watch more stuff because there's a lot of what's being made today isn't sugary at all.
>>
File: rick-morty-gas-zap.gif (4MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
rick-morty-gas-zap.gif
4MB, 500x281px
>>88496648

Beat me to it.
>>
File: 1459357052293.png (183KB, 462x464px) Image search: [Google]
1459357052293.png
183KB, 462x464px
>>88495886
>>
>>88496648
In general, stuff like that is kind of an exception
>>
>>88495886
>what is BoJack Horseman
>>
>>88495886

Because people are high on sugar. Also post this in /pol, they can probably educate you better on this subject then /co
>>
>>88495886
It's cuz things are fuckin bleak these days. We're living in the most uncertain of times.
>>
>>88498728
>We're living in the most uncertain of times
There is that meme again!
>>
File: laughing twingo.jpg (280KB, 502x600px) Image search: [Google]
laughing twingo.jpg
280KB, 502x600px
>>88498728
>le things are worse now than they were yesterday meme
>>
>>88495948
Redwall had the right idea.

Exterminate the vermin. They're only capable of evil.
>>
Because people like to be happy more than they like to be sad. Unless they are on the internet.
>>
>>88499560
But the mice were the good guys.
>>
>>88495886
Can you post some examples?

I mean, I think art styles in general for cartoons are more cutesy but usually the humor can be as cynical or mean-spirited or whatever as older shows.

Unless you're talking about comics only, because I think there are more now that do fit that description.

I just can't tell if you have any specific show/comics in mind or if this is deliberately vague so that everyone will read anything into it.
>>
>>88500065
>but usually the humor can be as cynical or mean-spirited or whatever as older shows.

The term "mean spirited" comes up a lot these days when talking about cartoons, when being mean spirited in the past was practically a basis for comedy, for one thing
>>
>>88500259
No, I agree, but that's more audience reaction to something that's always been in cartoons than cartoons themselves changing.

I was just using the term as a quick way to express part of what the OP seems to be getting at.
>>
>>88500665
I think the audience is the point though
>>
>>88504477
I guess, but the OP was about the cartoons themselves.

Or at least saying most things today are "saccharine" etc. when I feel that's more of an art style thing re: cartoons (a legitimate criticism but I don't think this is supposed to be a CalArts thread) while the writing can still be cynical and so on.
>>
>>88495886
I liked Bianca because she was fucking niave and innocent to a fault
>Let's go save a kid!
>Nevermind he lives in the fucking deep south

Story was more about Bernard anyways
>Average Joe janitor becomes the hero and hooks up with the Russian hottie
>>
>>88499560
A few of the books actually had areas where races like rats, weasels, foxes and the like are actually just normal races that want to get along, and were actually oppressed by others.

HOWEVER, they do generally fall into being slaver/marauder/child-abducting assholes. Stereotypes are based off generalities.

Fuck Pygmy Voles though. Fuck them.
>>
>>88505673
One that comes to mind is the Chronicles of Narnia

Shame that foxes are okay, but wolves are apparently assholes, but motherfucking centaurs--who have traditionally been portrayed as barbarians, get a clear book.
>>
>>88495886
What are you talking about? Shows are edgier than ever. The deepest lore type stuff has characters being killed off and fucked up.
>>
>>88498709

I really hope you're being sarcastic. I don't recall ever reading anything insightful on /pol/ of all places.
>>
>>88507809

Well, I don't recall ever reading anything insightful on /co.

Including my own posts.
>>
>>88496534
What are you reading where you get this idea? Are you high?

Rescuers was decades ago and was never a comic.
>>
>>88508561
What does the Rescuers have to do with anything? It's just a random reaction image
>>
>>88508610
Never pick an opening image more interesting than your topic.
>>
>>88498910
Are you forgetting that the worst economic disaster since the Great Depression happened just 8 years ago?
>>
>>88508630
Don't worry, Obama will fix it!
>>
>>88508625
Uh, she's my waifu? You Marvel fags are so defensive
>>
>>88508630
I work blue collar, and nothing really changed for me. Things have been going okay for the last 12 years, there's been no skyrocketing utility or supermarket prices, still able to save 20% or better from every paycheck, buy whatever video games I want, and cover my bills. Just a whole lot of media moaning about how things WILL change...still haven't seen it, much like any change in the other direction like Obama promised idiots who voted him in. Then again, house paid off, no kids sucking money away with their expenses, no strange need for luxury-class garbage like $150 or higher shoes, Apple products or Starbucks like most consumers blindside themselves with, so that might account for my comfort. Kids these days only seem to want to rent, and not really own and be responsible for anything while spending their asses off on stuff they don't need.
>>
>>88495886

You are out of your fucking mind and have n idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>88510089

>Blue Collar

At least now with trump in charge we'll be elevated and become wealthy like we deserve.

MAGA!
>>
>>88510089
>blue collar
There you go, this concerns educated people, you would hardly see beyond "I do good" anyways.
>>
>>88495886
Because you have an incredibly biased view of things.
>>
>>88510111

You'll be eating crow when the 'enlightened' libs are thrown out of washington.

Right after Sand hook is revealed for being the grab for our guns that it was and you conspiracy apologists leave the country!
>>
>>88500259
>>88504477
Isn't that the whole "there are no more people complaining, the internet just gives them a megaphone" thing?
>>
>>88510111
Yeah, the educated who are one part-time paycheck away from couch-surfing at a buddy's apartment and still 13K in the hole on paying back that Liberal Arts degree that is helping them ZILCH. Ok.
>>
>>88495886
If anything i'm seeing the opposite. Anything that incorporates any kind of tragedy kept mobbed by followers, regardless of quality. AT, SU, Undertale, Korra, Young Justice, RWBY, all examples of the phenomenon. Pitch them some ship material and tragic stuff to cry about and people go ape for it.
>>
>>88496005
It's perfectly normal.
>>
>>88496172
My fucking nigga
>>
File: 1404361895825.png (36KB, 240x329px) Image search: [Google]
1404361895825.png
36KB, 240x329px
Sure is a qt mouse you got there...
>>
>>88495886

....Yes.
>>
>>88495886
There is plenty of sarcasm around, it's just concentrated in adult (teenager) shows, hell that's the only reason why people watch family Guy at all
Kids growing up tho man between the awful cartoon and YouTube shit wait a decade or so and we will start seeing young people who are really fucking sick of sugar spice and everything nice
>>
>>88510143
well it's true I mean just look around this board how much hate this movie gets because the characters say "fuck" a bunch of times
>>
>>88504904
*Hungarian
>>
>>88512038
I think people hate it cause "sex and drugs lol" is kind of try hard and lame and reeks of teenager
>>
>>88512038

I hated most of this movie because it wasn't nearly as edgy or funny as it pretended to be. The only things that really stood out was making the villian a literal douche and actually having a bottle of whiskey as a stereotypical Indian character. Even the food orgy was fucking tame after all the talking it up.
>>
>>88497999
The wast majority of cartoons made for adult are full of cynical edgy humor and people love them. Are complaining that children's cartoons aren't edgy enough?
>>
>>88498728
Things might not be great, but read something written at the height of cold war. People were scared shitless and expected bombs to fall any moment. Those were really uncertain times.
>>
>>88508312
There are usually a couple of people who seem to know their shit in animation threads.
>>
File: IMG_2761.jpg (476KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2761.jpg
476KB, 1600x1200px
>>88498728
>most of bleak of times
>World War 1
>Great Depression
>World War 2
>Cold War
>Vietnam War
>that period in the 80s where the US and the USSR were about to nuke each other
Yeah, you're a melodramatic cunt
>>
File: dafuck.jpg (140KB, 728x1044px) Image search: [Google]
dafuck.jpg
140KB, 728x1044px
>>88495886
Because life sucks and having someone be chipper is the only thing that keeps me from finding you and throttling you with a giant dildo
>>
>>88512038
I'm pretty sure the issue is that it wasn't funny, and tried to mask that by saying "fuck" a bunch of times.
>>
>>88512365
>>88514395
Well if you want to make a "DUDE PIXAR BUT FOR LIKE ADULTS LMAO" movie you gotta earn that R Rating somehow
>>
>>88514332

>dildo
>bildo
>bilbo
>bilbe
>bible
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.