[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how woud you make a superman game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

File: SupermanRoss.png (152KB, 344x499px) Image search: [Google]
SupermanRoss.png
152KB, 344x499px
>>
>>88471103
I wouldn't because he sucks
>>
>>88471103
I genuinely think the technology to do a good game with him, beyond limited story telling tt style, is there yet. I don't wan't to play a weakened Superman. Doesn't have to be going FTL and shattering planets with a punch, but I wan't something around the level of the Movies.
>>
You'd have to make a game that transitions flawlessly from combat to full fledge 3 dimensional flight
>>
Ever played Darksiders where you start the game all powerful, lose your powers, and need to gradually get them all back and be all powerful again? I think that would be the best way to handle the game design. Have it be something as simple as Brainiac blacking out the sky in smog and choking off his powers. Throughout the game you are removing a portion of the smog giving powers back slowly.
>>
File: Supermaneye.gif (156KB, 496x445px) Image search: [Google]
Supermaneye.gif
156KB, 496x445px
I would make a Superman game where he has to fly through rings and this segment is on a VERY strict timer. Next I would make sections where Supes has to pick up cars or bombs and just haphazardly toss them around to save braindead civilians.

These two scenarios would alternate indefinitely or until the player commits suicide.

Otherwise I'd make some Arkham City/Knight-esque game where Supes flies around Metropolis at his general leisure.
>>
File: 1478214422934.jpg (284KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1478214422934.jpg
284KB, 1024x768px
>>88471103
>RPG w/fighting engine
>Superman needs to reach the Fortress of Solitude to restore his powers.
>Base abilities to start are Leaping, and Strength(which grows per level up)
>Each mission along the journey is a mini story that touches on aspects of what it means to be Superman.
>Regains advanced abilities as the main story progresses(speed, vision and breath powers)
>Near the end of the game, Superman must defeat Kalibak and Steppenwolf before being able to reach the Fortress.
>In the Fortress, Darkseid is waiting and defeats Superman, leaving him for dead.
>Dramatic cinematic showing a full scale invasion.
>In the Fortress, Superman laments his failure, but is contacted by Jor-El, who reminds him of those who need and what he stands for.
>Flight and Invulnerability restored.
>Final Mission requires using full power set.
>3 phase final Darkseid battle(In each phase, Darkseid's appearance changes to different character design).
>>
>>88471103
I would use golden age superman.
>>
>>88471410
>superman who can't flight and just jumps super high
This is actually a good way to take it. You could have super huge exaggerated versions of the ice launch and thunder drop from Infamous 2.

Fuck Golden Age superman would just be Saints Row 4 superpowers.
>>
>>88471370
You joke, but Superman 64 had actual stages in addition to the rings. general consensus is that the action stages are worse.

(TAS because I couldn't find a no commentary version of any of the stages)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Py0dPjuaaQ
>>
>>88471249
>>88471284
Going by a game like Dragon Ball Xenoverse just shows how hard this is. The characters move sluggishly and the attacks don't feel as they have any real impact. And the greatest enemy of all is the camera controls.
>>
>>88471103
GTAV size metropolis and countryside with environmental destruction better than metropolis.

Combat system similar to the arkham games where you can select a target and hit a button to attack, standard attacks do minimal structural damage to the environment, heavy attacks destroy like everything behind them and take the shortest path to the enemy.

Along with that it would need a VERY strong physics system, so you can use your super-power to turn disasters and accidents into effectively physics based puzzles-freeze the water around the sinking ship, laser vision the rent in the hull closed,go into super-speed and pull people out, carry it to shore etc etc, always multiple options.

The base of the game would be saving people from accidents and disasters, perhaps after a terraforming machine goes bezerk or something else like self-driving cars or servant robots or asteroids moved to earth orbit for mining being used as weapons, so you have frequent things to do that make sense alongside general stopping muggers, helping suicidal jumpers, pulling cats out of trees. That would form the background "incident" level of the games and give you stuff to do between larger mission. Of course the weather machine or whatever would be traced back to luthor in the end.

The mission arks would be split between public works (spin up the generator by hand, transport nuclear waste, dig a canal), larger saving events like undersea bases, spaceship failures, earthquakes and villain arcs.

Other good villains would be things like a variant of Starro, Braniac or Parasite or Martians, that can control or disguise themselves perfectly as regular humans so superman cannot just punch the problem away. Braniac or something robot based could be good as it would give you enemies you can actually fight.

Maybe the game could be set in metropolis after Braniac bottles it, with the main plot being "escape the bottle", with sub-plots of "luthor is fucking shit up" etc.
>>
>>88471533
"enviromental destruction better than metropolis" should be "enviromental destruction better than red faction". Its late.
>>
File: SquareEnix_saintsrowiv_9_lg2.jpg (108KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
SquareEnix_saintsrowiv_9_lg2.jpg
108KB, 1024x576px
Saints Row 4 with a golden age Superman skin.
>>
I liked how you were invincible in Returns, you only lost if Metropolis was wrecked. Original, but could've been implemented better by a more experienced developer.
>>
>>88471569
>>88471533
>90% of the traffic is lexcorp construction just fixing your shit

I don't like the idea that you could go full on DBZ and nuke the city and then just carry on.
>>
>>88471103
Give him enemies in the game that can actually threaten him. Maybe have some of his earthbound enemies show up as random encounters, but the enemy minions would be things like parademons, red and orange lanterns, Manhunters. Instead of just Earth stage it on numerous planets, and let him travel between them freely. Let him visit distinctive location on Earth and not just Metropolis. I want to fly to Gotham as Superman and make Batman's job look easy.
>>
File: 503709-action_comics__020.jpg (797KB, 1280x1999px) Image search: [Google]
503709-action_comics__020.jpg
797KB, 1280x1999px
>>88471103
I'd make an open world third person superhero game and I'd give him a life bar.

I just wouldn't allow ordinary human thugs with guns to be able to hurt it.
>>
>>88471103
A shmup where he's flying through space shooting shit with his eyebeams.
>>
File: Superman The Vidya.png (55KB, 1069x410px) Image search: [Google]
Superman The Vidya.png
55KB, 1069x410px
>>88471103
>>
VR game/experience where you are Superman
>>
>>88471682
You could. But you shouldnt. There would have to be SERIOUS consequences to fucking shit up-like public hate and lexcorp-funded anti-superman-squads on every corner. Half of combat would just be positioning so your strong attacks dont Man-Of-Steel the city, or spend some time knocking the powerful enemies out of the city first.

If you dont destroy shit randomly everyone but luthorr will love you, you would get like extra rewards such as cutscenes recieving the key to the city or comendations/medals of whatever from the president, and more tangible benifits from Star-labs helping you out with concentrated solar energy boosts for powerups and healing, new costumes, technology to take down villains with less collateral damage, help discovering new "powers"/ways to use powers etc.

You would also need a system to recoup lost public opinion from damages, like doing public works i mentioned in the post or sticking around to help clear up the damage you caused, maybe even learning medicine with golden-age superspeed learning to help save people.

Instead of a "city lifebar" that game overs if you deplete it, a sort of "chart" of public opinion of different groups of the public, police, military, politicians etc. So if you cause destruction but stop the bad guys the military may like you more than the public, or certain missions may boost or drop opinions of certain factions, which would give different benefits or penalties. Like if the police like you they wont get in your way so you cause less collateral damage but may rely on you more for more minor tasks like stopping robbers/muggers, if the public hate you they will run away and call in sightings to lexcorp anti-superman squads.
>>
>>88471103
Basically like a non-shit DBZ Xenoverse.

Start as young supes with weaker powers (and some powers missing) and play up to the death of superman gaining new powers and increasing stats as you go. Have optional side missions that let you play through some "What if?" scenarios like Red Son. Game ends with superman "dead".

Pretty standard really.
>>
>>88471103
Make it about Clark Kent and his life as a journalist
>>
>>88471988
that's anti-fun just let people play the game
>>
File: 1464823396005.jpg (327KB, 980x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1464823396005.jpg
327KB, 980x1500px
I would have it take place on an alien planet that has small like mining towns on, maybe a few megastructures but mostly that. The game basically allows you to free-roam and complete objectives based on stopping really strong enemies. You have a takedown point system similar to arkham, but the point it to stop badguys with as little destruction to buildings and civilians as possible. The points will allow you to upgrade powers getting freeze breathe etc and these powers will better assist in your mission to not destroy everything. But each area is a sandbox Red Faction Guerrilla type terrain, and if you really want to (most normies would) you can just super destroy everything, but it will make the game harder because you need the upgrades to assist in your fight against late game brawlers. But like I said a lot of the game will just be flying to parts of a mars type mining world and checking shit out or doing stuff on the way. I think encounters will supes gallery throughout the game would be great. The main villain could be brainiac who is controlling the planets systems to mine out some super ore which will make him bretty strong.
Also they should have different kryptonite gamemodes where the levels are altered (halo skull style) with you under the effects of rage, or weakness.
>>
With Invincible and Viltrumites.
>>
>>88472069
yeah, my money, take it please.
>>
Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes. A turn-based tactical RPG where Superman isn't one of the characters in your roster but you the player are Superman commanding teams of Legionnaires on missions throughout the universe. During missions you can perform special actions as Superman which are incredibly useful but the team gets bonus rewards if you don't use them, and later on missions will have hazards like kryptonite that will make you unable to use those special actions until your team deals with them.
>>
>>88471988
I'd like it if it was contextual, the opionmeter.

>Charge though 3 skyscrapers, a school bus, and an old dear feeding pigeons to catch Kite-man, everyone hates you and the army comes after you.

>take Doomsday down after a brutal, skin-of-your-teeth, fight that cost three city blocks, people respect you but some fairly significant criticism.

>Promptly take Zod out to the middle of the bay and beat the shit out of him with minimal casualties, everyone praises you.
>>
Dynasty Warriors Justice League: Apokolips Now!
>>
>>88471103
Step one is to set it on Warworld. This would justify common enemies being able to scratch Superman. The first part is beating up Mogngul before he destroys the Earth then the population declares you their new king and we shift into Superman must take down the other contenders who have declared that the way to show that they're not just Superman's puppet government is to destroy Earth while regaining his powers (which was reduced by something when fighting Mogngul, probably in an explosion). This is city management, take over a zone and build upgrades like solar generators to power you up faster, bases to let you call in backup or hospitals and stuff for the population.
Finally we have an attack by Darkseid who is trying to claim Warworld for his own reasons. This would involve counter attacks on Apokolips as you try and sabotage his army before it can harm anyone and ends with a boss fight.
>>
>>88471103
Saints row 4 mod
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.