[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do comic fights only last 3-4 pages tops?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 13

File: 1481600726756.png (381KB, 447x596px) Image search: [Google]
1481600726756.png
381KB, 447x596px
Why do comic fights only last 3-4 pages tops?
>>
Hello jojo fans
i came here to say that your fanbase is shit.

You fucks see your meme anime in everything.

New Pokemon Trailer Come out - JOJO LOL
some one does a pose - JOJO EPIC
a person has muscles - ORA ORA XD

Then you go and comment on every song that get referenced.

i cant go into the comment section of a queen song without seeing
QUIET LIFE MAN XD

You fucks also believe that you a superior to all anime.

LOL JOJO IS SO AWSOME EPIC ITS BEST ANIME.

Your fanbase is split into two cancerous parts.

animeonly and manga readers.

AnimeOnly are Cancer because they think magical breath powers with no define logic is amazing.

MangaReaders are Cancer because they think they are better than anyone because they read a comic book.

Also you guys forget one thing
jojo is not a
table top rpg
video game
cartoon
its a fucking anime.
>>
>>88441272
Is this post a Jojo reference?
>>
Because cape shitters complain when fights are too long since they feel like their time is being wasted, Invincible had a whole issue dedicated to a fight and the letters were all angry about it
>>
File: HybridLanternKyleRaynerChosen.jpg (611KB, 1280x1955px) Image search: [Google]
HybridLanternKyleRaynerChosen.jpg
611KB, 1280x1955px
>>
>>88441316
Probably because capes are monthly not weekly, manga comes out more than 4 times as fast as capes do.
>>
>>88441295
Anon is using the [SHITPOST] ability with his stand, [COPYPASTA]
>>
Manga fights drag on too long, though I'm being generous with the term ""fight"" since half of it is explaining your ability to your opponent
>>
Because it's 20 pages a month instead of 60-80.

Doubleshipped titles have no excuse.
>>
>>88441379
>I didn't read Dragon Ball
You poor child.
I said read, not watch. The pacing of the comic is nothing like the show.
>>
>>88441255
The 10th manga vs comic thread this week. Let's just enjoy both amd be happy goddamnit
>>
>>88441272
Newaflash: Fanbases are shit.

People who embrace "Fandom" as a core part of their identity are at best mildly autistic, and at worst, have difficulty thinking for themselves.
>>
File: seal of approval.jpg (60KB, 396x395px) Image search: [Google]
seal of approval.jpg
60KB, 396x395px
>>88441272
This is a nice copypasta
>>
>>88441905
>I said read, not watch. The pacing of the comic is nothing like the show.
That's because they both came out at the same time so Filler was necessary. It happens a lot.
>>
>>88441255
Because they understood "decompression of action" as decompression of plot exposition rather than decompression of actual action.
Both can have their merits but for something as based on action as capes I feel like it's a shame.
>>
this is why I read Brian Michael Bendis

dude can make a fight last for 25 issues
>>
>>88442388
>dude can make people sit around saying they're about to have a fight for 25 issues
FTFY
>>
>>88442388
Would Bendis be a good manga writer?
>>
Friend bought one of the newer Moon Knight issues from the recent run (at this point about a year and a half old I think?). Told me he didn't get his money's worth because nothing happened in it and it lasted him 2 minutes, then proceeded to show me all the "empty" pages (pages without words). He loves the fuck out of AvX and is currently really invested in IvX.

A lot of people don't really get invested in the pictures and quantify "content" based on how many words are said rather than how many events happen. It wouldn't surprise me if most people thought of wordless fight scenes as filler or wastes of pages.
>>
>>88442388
No he doesn't. His fights are usually just a handful of rushed double-paged spreads that he just uses as an excuse to have more exposition. Bendis is a master of decompression, and some may say the person largely responsible for popularizing decompressed storytelling in cape comics (the "writing for the trade 6-issues at a time" mentality was a big proponent of his USM). But his actions scenes are very rarely particularly drawn out. It's the talking head scenes and fact that he uses constant double-page spreads that cause his comics to have a one or two scenes take up an entire issue.
>>
>>88442457
He likes making his men gay and women, so probably
>>
>>88442259
Toei's adaptations are a different fucking league. The way they butcher manga is crazy.
>>
>>88442470
>Reading a Bends comic
>"beat" panels of a character's head with no dialogue followed by the same copy pasted panel but now there is dialogue
>>
>>88441255
I really wish western comics took a page from manga on action. A manga fight can be an event in and of itself.
>>
File: img000018.png (110KB, 1629x1200px) Image search: [Google]
img000018.png
110KB, 1629x1200px
Because they don't have weekly releases. Imagine a full tournament format in comic form.
>>
>>88441345
JoJo has been monthly for years....
>>
>>88441255
>the Funny Valentine fight took more than a year to be released during the initial publishing
>>
>>88442467
Pretty much this. Samnee's current Black Widow ongoing is basically an artist showcase, and the first issue had almost no dialogue and was just a really long, really awesome action scene.

A lot of people hated it because they said "nothing happened." "All she did was escape a building!" I saw a bunch of people complain about. But the sequence of her escaping the building was extremely well paced and panelled, with great art on Samnee's part. It was an entire issue devoted to an action sequence, which might not be the best cold open for a book, but set the tone and was extremely refreshing for someone that appreciates art over "how many word bubbles are there?"

Ironically, I stopped giving a fuck about Samnee's BW once the actual plot started and it wasn't just cool action sequences. Point is that your average western comic fan, at least your average Big 2 fan, doesn't actually want action scenes because when a book only comes out once a month, they want to get their "money's worth" which means a lot of dialogue. They just read the word bubbles and scan the art, not spending time to take the art in, so if you're just doing a pure action-driven book, then you'll end up with these types of people finishing your book in 2 minutes and feeling like they got ripped off.

Of course, this problem is lessened outside of the Big 2. Luthor Strode, for example, is a straight up action-driven comic that is fucking awesome and well-received for it.
>>
>>88442467
yes, the lack of words was a problem for Cass' Batgirl, too.

I think it was Robinson who made an interview stating he uses words as a way to slow down the reader and force him to actually focus on the story
>>
File: image.jpg (835KB, 1600x1217px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
835KB, 1600x1217px
Read better comics
>>
>>88441905
wow you got one example.

it still applies to a shitload of the most popular ones like One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tale, etc.
>>
File: 1.jpg (26KB, 319x310px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
26KB, 319x310px
>>88442231
>including 'a'
>>
>>88442467
This is literaly why people eat up Bendisspeak and it pains me.
>>
>>88442657
All I'm saying is read Dragon Ball and be happy, anon.
>>
File: all_new_gr_02_01.jpg (760KB, 994x1528px) Image search: [Google]
all_new_gr_02_01.jpg
760KB, 994x1528px
>>88442467
>ANGR's fight scenes are outstanding
>most readers probably skimmed through them if not skipping them outright after glancing at them and seeing the page had mo dialogue on it
>>
OP hasn't read anything by artistfag authors, or Ellis I see.
You get one of them and bingo you'll end up with a fight lasting 2-4 issues with maybe a few pages of downtime.
>>
>>88442774
People put very little thought into the books they read. Shit, most people don't even notice the name is an acronym for ANGER.
>>
File: Delet This.png (243KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Delet This.png
243KB, 800x600px
>>88441272
>>
File: 1477419531852.gif (1001KB, 440x300px) Image search: [Google]
1477419531852.gif
1001KB, 440x300px
>>88442470
>2 page spread "fight scene" of boring static poses
Shit looks like a poor man's Renaissance painting
>>
>>88441255
Superman fought Doomsday for like 5 issues last arc and people hated it.
>>
Manga and comic books have really different views on fights, I've found.

I really like how kinetic SCUD is, since it feels very fluid in the same vein as JoJo or Fist of the North Star.
>>
>>88442467
Yeah, a lot of people don't read comics for the art, they read it for plot progression or character interaction. They want as much of that as possible in.
>>
>>88442639
>Doesn't give context of said better comic
Learn to be a constructive snob if you're gonna snob.
>>
File: IMG_20161207_155139.png (669KB, 1920x929px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161207_155139.png
669KB, 1920x929px
>>88441272
ABSOLUTELY FUCKING ROASTED. HOW WILL OP EVER RECOVER?
>>
>>88443615
welcome to the world of invincible fags, they're probably the biggest cape snobs you'll ever run across
>>
File: mudamudamudamudamuda.jpg (3MB, 1560x3632px) Image search: [Google]
mudamudamudamudamuda.jpg
3MB, 1560x3632px
>>88441255

Most comic fights are just heroes vs jobbers
>>
>>88441272
I miss the days of the late 90s and early 00s when no one knew what Jojo was and those who did dealt with the shittiest translations possible.

The anime killed Jojo.
>>
>>88444242
>"Le my favorite thing is dead because more people like it now" meme
>>
>>88443888
Is this a Jojo reference?
>>
>>88442594
That Black Widow issue sucked. The escape scene was trash and Luther Strode proves /co/ are fags.

Black Widow sucked because it's the same bullshit that happens every time she is the focus. She finds a mole/ corruption and proves that she canbe trusted. The escape had panels that made no sense and wasn't that entertaining.
>>
>>88442774
God that is shit. You'd eat dog shit if someone plated it mildly well.
>>
>>88442532
This is an instance where that actually worked imho. But yeah, he does that shit way too much.

Also, just talking head shit in general. His exposition will be 8-panel pages of just a talking head, filled with dialogue and minor pose changes. He gets to work with some really great artists, and that's the shit he gives them to draw.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.