[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Season 1 so objectively superior?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 14

Why was Season 1 so objectively superior?
>>
File: MADMADLUFFY.png (382KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
MADMADLUFFY.png
382KB, 640x480px
because they actually FOUGHT THINGS!!!!
>>
Things past season 1 seem to have no stakes due to a poor balance of what the greater goal is. Season 2 also bugs me because it flandarized a lot of characters. Specifically, Garnet who used to be the best character now can't be on screen for one second without mentioning that she's a fusion and love n shit. I did really love the Bismuth episode at least.
>>
I miss the theory that Rose was blind because she never had her eyes open in any picture
>>
>>88441250
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS
>>
It was funny
>>
>>88441250
>>88441833
Her personality before Jailbreak was "I don't know and I don't care, also I'm ". She is better now. From this point they just need to add another facet to her, like that she is struggling to fill the shoes of Rose as the new leader of the Crystal Gems or something.
>>
>>88441725
>Rose was blind.
>Gems were goblins that grew out of the ground or something.
>There was only one Diamond.
>Everything was magic and not technology.

Ah, the good old days.
>>
File: tumblr_ohyk4bZRhr1sd1xkuo4_1280.png (114KB, 690x450px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ohyk4bZRhr1sd1xkuo4_1280.png
114KB, 690x450px
>>88441851
Most the jokes have fallen onto the shoulders of Memedot. That is fine since Log Date and Kindergarten Kid were the most hilarious episodes of the entire show, but I miss goofball Steven.
>>
>>88441979
>a rip off of Looney Tunes that completely buries Peridot as a character
>hilarious
>>
With shows like these everything starts off all open and unexplained, and people go nuts coming up with theories and predictions, then as the show goes forward everyone gets pissed, either because their shit didn't become canon like they secretly hoped it would or their predictions come true leaving them to realize that they only really liked the idea of the show and not the show itself.
>>
File: 1481477623153.jpg (320KB, 1500x1295px) Image search: [Google]
1481477623153.jpg
320KB, 1500x1295px
>>88442016
>Looney Tunes slapstick isn't funny
>>
>>88441172
this
nothing left in the show but drama
never fucking ending drama
>>
>>88442063
It's funny when done right. SU did not do it right.
>>
>>88442094
I was crying with laughter at parts. Learn how to have fun.
>>
>>88442143
>I thought it was funny
>Therefore it was objectively funny
>>
>>88442177
You are manufacturing an argument where there is none. I said no such thing.
>>
>>88441896
Stoic was not a lack of personality. She played strong silent well. She was an overconfident leader who humored and appreciated fun but rarely knew how to socialize herself. Now her character is fusion. She had not existed as her own entity since then and has just become a divide of she's acting like ruby or she's acting like sapphire. Despite apparently not coming apart for years, she had divided 5 times in the past couple seasons and doesn't join a conversation unless it's about fusion.
>>
>>88442206
If you tell me to learn how to have fun, even thought you have no idea whatsoever who I am, you think it is objectively funny.
>>
>>88442257
It was slapstick. There was little to screw up. If I was in the wrong mood I probably wouldn't have laughed either. I'm fine with you not enjoying it. Those things happen. You just need to know how to control your expectations sometimes.

I was just responding to you matter-of-factly stating SU did it wrong. Had you implied you subjectively didn't enjoy it then there would be no argument.

If they made me and others laugh hard then they were doing something right.
>>
>>88442358
There are people who laugh at Adam Sandler movies
>>
>>88442408
Point taken, but whereas we can both agree that playing the guitar and singing with an infantile voice isn't funny, you acknowledged that Looney Tunes slapstick is funny.
>>
>>88442043
It's not about mystery as it is about stakes. The show has masterfully defused all stakes while building zero new ones through all of season 3. Between the hastily dealt with resolutions of Malachite, the cluster, and Jaspers army, along side the complete brush aside of the diamonds and their army... Well all that leaves us with is "oh no, Rose killed someone in war!" And the inevitable groan worthy plot twist of "no she didn't, pink diamond is lion". Compared to the crazy finales season 1a and 1b gave us, there's just no stakes here aside from how Steven feels about his mom over a trivial thing.
>>
>everyone used to say to skip season 1
>now everyone is saying that it's the best season
>>
File: 1384663377842.jpg (199KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1384663377842.jpg
199KB, 1280x720px
>episodes had fights
>episodes were funnier
>monsters were cool
>>
File: 1480644910996.gif (2MB, 318x270px) Image search: [Google]
1480644910996.gif
2MB, 318x270px
>>88442869
It's almost as if /co/ sucks at giving advice/recommendations.
>>
>>88442869
>bandwagoners tell people to skip the first season because >muh lapis and >muh jailbreak

>when it's actually legitimately the best season of the show and it doesn't suffer from the same melodrama that drew in the bandwagoners
>>
File: 1385566043584.png (138KB, 1000x897px) Image search: [Google]
1385566043584.png
138KB, 1000x897px
>>88441963
>tfw rember people in early SU threads warning about becoming a general and how it hurt quality of threads
>mfw /sug/ did just that and is easily one of the worst generals on /co/ when it's allowed to come back
>>
>>88443121
Generals aren't bad when there is something to actually talk about. Cancer only runs rampant when there is nothing to discuss and waifufags have the run of the place.
>>
>people actually watched SU for the fighting
>>
>>88443121
I'm actually surprised at how long /sug/ held out, it put a lot of emphasis on not falling into the traps of other generals, but it seems like there's been enough turnover now that it ended up becoming one. I also remember people being very adamantly against a general before a certain rule was implemented here for a time that basically forced one to be made.
>>
>>88443190
>Cancer only runs rampant when there is nothing to discuss

That's not true.

I remember the old Hamsteak threads when Hussie was updating everyday. There was about ten minutes of discussion immediately following an update, then it went straight back to waifufagging.
>>
>>88442869
There's 2 kinds of fans and I've been saying this since the Lapis finale. People who want a cake with icing and people who want nothing but icing. The show always had drama, it always was building to something. The problem is the people who want nothing but icing will never be satisfied, but in the shows attempt to become more icing, they lazed out on the cake. Season 1 understood how to make the cake the main appeal, but now they Just have horrible balance issues to where comedy and adventure are scarce but the drama isn't holding the show up on its own.
>>
File: aliens.jpg (31KB, 461x403px) Image search: [Google]
aliens.jpg
31KB, 461x403px
I blame it on Steven
Season 1 he was clueless, innocent and fun and there was real magic and monsters, so it was all a fantastical adventure
now he's a moody emo and everything is just aliens
>>
>>88443484
>inb4 some jagoff edgelord says season 1 Steven was retarded and how he wanted to beat Steven's face in
I also liked Season 1 Steven. However I do appreciate that they are showing Steven grow up.
>>
>>88443646
> However I do appreciate that they are showing Steven grow up.
The real problem is is that they're not doing it very well
>>
File: 99 problems.jpg (354KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
99 problems.jpg
354KB, 640x960px
>>88443703
I think they are doing a competent job. I liked how Steven acted immature (fans estimated he was 11 or 12) but then turned out to be 14. It's an excuse to show him mature quickly over just a few seasons.

I also like that he started out a pure hearted win-win protag and still is but nonetheless doubts himself instead of being unrealistically resolved.
>>
>>88441172
Is one piece worth keeping up with? I got to the toy island place.
>>
File: 1464329198648.jpg (107KB, 525x810px) Image search: [Google]
1464329198648.jpg
107KB, 525x810px
>>88441963
>>Everything was magic and not technology.
Did you belive that? I thought it was clear that they only said "It's magic" to wave Steven away from the subject.
Apart from the secound episode with the eldrich painting I can see no magoic especially after Peridot was introduced... God, I miss semi serious Peridot
>>
>>88443484
How is Steven emo?
>>
Steven is super annoying in season one.
>>
>>88443835
I didn't personally, but it was the prevailing theory until Mirror/Ocean Gem aired. Or rather, most people didn't question it until then.
>>
File: Divine Warrior.png (493KB, 683x382px) Image search: [Google]
Divine Warrior.png
493KB, 683x382px
>>88443810
The anime is unwatchable due to massive downscaling in quality and pacing.
As for the manga hard to say. I am almost willing to say that OP got too big for it's own good. once they were just setting out for an adventure and this was directly visable in the great Skypia arc. But that quickly evolved into beating one island despot after another, while so many new characters get introduced that aint no body got time to give them apropriate screentime.
Remember when there was Smoker as the main antagonist who had sworn to catch them. Yey we got to see him ten years later again and now he's away again. I think everything would be better if they would have just downscaled everything a bit. From characters to conflict size, etc.
>>
>>88443850
He's just talking bullshit. What happened is that they painted Steven in a way that he compulsivly only focuses on "good" traits or something while compleatly ignoring the context.
>>
>>88441851
this
>>
>>88443190
When I go into the general to talk about a recent episode, it's already full of shitty inside jokes and fanart dumps, because the episode leaked a few hours earlier and everyone got bored of discussing it after the first few hours. The general is a cesspool because the "regulars" are just keeping it alive out of some sort of obligation and keep shitposting in it nonstop, because that's just what they're used to doing during the down periods.
>>
I'm starting to think that some people on /co/have a problem with character development. If a character is annoying at the start of the series people complain but when that same character becomes more mature people complain that the character is no longer funny or a Mary Sue.

Now that I think about it this kind of thinking is not just on /co/....
>>
>>88444040
And what's worse, according to Oda, we're only a little more than half way through the entire series.
>>
>>88445703
The individual storyboarders have too much individual freedom to express themselves. This works fine for episodic shows, but when they try to do character development, you begin to see why it's not a very good model for this type of show. Some boarders try to portray Steven as having matured over the past few seasons, while others emphasize his goofiness.

It's more obvious with Peridot. Zuke's Peridot is clearly a much different character than every other boarder's interpretation of the character.
>>
>>88441044
I said it before and I will say it again
Jasper has been the best Steven universe has ever been ever since season one ended
We fucking need a villian, a real one that shows up here and there and does things
>>
>>88445703
Steven has always been annoying and unfunny though. He's pretty much a constant of shitty character traits throughout the whole series.
>>
File: 1468152786937.jpg (112KB, 400x486px) Image search: [Google]
1468152786937.jpg
112KB, 400x486px
>>88445795
He kinda lost me at the timeskip designs. Franky became a piece of shit without his iconic hair most of the time, Robin became a Nami clone, Brook has a gay costume and Chopper became an fucking cutesy mascot.
I don't even start about the change of the female form he is drawing, while he is showing in pic related that he is capable of doing interesting ones he just does not to pander to faggots.
>>
>>88445679
Fair enough, but it does feature discussion when episodes are airing.
>>
>>88441044
Being the best version of shit is still shit.
>>
File: 1234132412421421432.png (1MB, 1980x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1234132412421421432.png
1MB, 1980x1080px
>>88441044
>Stevens powers were all undeveloped so we got to watch him constantly growing
>Show was fairly monster of the week mixed with SoL, worked well because in both types of episodes they were usually building the world and constantly introducing new gem related magic
>All the characters were flawed but still quite likeable and mentally stable
>Subtle introduction of new lore meant a ton of speculation
The reason that the other seasons started to fall apart is because they kept the same S1 format of keeping the story very slow and relaxed, but also added this massive plotline revolving around a genocidal space empire that often gets completely pushed to the side for more episodic SoL type episodes and hiatus which of course doesn't really work now that the stakes have been raised so substantial and so much partially explored lore was dropped on our lap.
>>
File: 1456913304148.png (177KB, 708x520px) Image search: [Google]
1456913304148.png
177KB, 708x520px
>>88446073
Here's your (you)
>>
>>88445987
>Shitting on One Piece

Leave and never come back.
>>
It wasn't all up its own ass about stupid lore shit.
>>
>>88448502
One Piece fucking sucks.
>>
>>88448532
It's okay to be wrong.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.