[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was up with all the controversy surrounding this movie?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 8

File: 682522_048.jpg (50KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
682522_048.jpg
50KB, 320x240px
What was up with all the controversy surrounding this movie? I didn't watch it until now because everyone said it was crap, but no, it was actually good.
>>
>>88439724
>What was up with all the controversy surrounding this movie?
Are you referring to that one article about how some kids cried at a sad movie?
>it was actually good
Nah. Cool looking water effects though.
>>
>>88439724
It had exceedingly good animation but that's really it and it's expected from a Pixar movie.

The plot was very generic and there are several other animated movies that told this story better. Even something like Cars at least had a large cast with memorable characters and some good moments in it, this movie was just boring.
>>
>>88439998
What other movies have dinosaurs as the dominant species owning humans as pets?
>>
>>88440045
But it doesn't matter to the story that the dinosaurs are dinosaurs or that the humans are humans, except from a "what an ironic twist of fate (that isn't exploited in this story)" point of view.

You can replace the dinos with relativerly primitive humans and the kid with a dog and basically nothing changes.
>>
>>88440107
Zootopia was just a buddy cop movie but everyone liked that. The Lion King was just Hamlet but everyone liked that.
>>
Much better than Cars 2, Brave and Monsters U.
>>
I keep forgetting this was Pixar
>>
>>88440148
Lion King had comedy, musical numbers and looked and felt appropriately kid friendly. Half of the Good Dinosaur is the same story by the way, just told with a completely straight face and darker visuals and sound atmosphere. Also a DUDE SHROOMS LMAO scene for no reason.

Haven't watched Zootopia but if it's as overhyped as Inside Out was I can't imagine that makes your point strong,
>>
>>88440233
>looked and felt appropriately kid friendly
The Good Dinosaur wasn't a good movie, but please. The Lion King had plenty of dark moments. The difference was that it was executed much better and had a well rounded cast of characters. Something doesn't necessarily have to 'look and feel' kid friendly to be kid friendly and still good.
>>
>>88440233
>Shrooms

Fermented fruit makes alcohol, dumbass
>>
>>88440045
>Dinosaur going on journey to find his home/family: Land Before Time
>Prehistoric animal helps caveman baby find his family: Ice Age
>Main character has journey of self discovery after his father dies in a freak accident: Lion King
Good Dinosaur combined those three movies and left out any charm or really anything else going for it.
>>
Basically, the problem with The Good Dinosaur is that it didn't hit the "Cowboy Up" button hard enough.

If the T-Rex Team had stuck around/been the focus of the film... It could've been better. Just play the lone rider making their way home across the wild west card with the dinosaur motif and you'd have had a perfect flick.

BECAUSE EVERY KID EVER LOVES DINOSAURS AND COWBOYS
>>
>>88440301
Read my own post and realized it was bad. What I was actually trying to say was:
1) TGD looked and felt as kid friendly as any CG family movie
2) Dark themes were absolutely in TLK and that doesn't make it less kid friendly
3) Regardless, look and feel are important, but not as much as execution
>>
>>88440301
>The Lion King had plenty of dark moments.
My post didn't imply the opposite. Every Disney movie has dark moments, but they also have light-hearted, happier moments. But so much of the Good Dinosaur happens literally under rain and storm, where's this moment in TGD? And it's not just visual, there are very few happy moments at all in the movie, aside from the very end.
>The difference was that it was executed much better and had a well rounded cast of characters.
Agreed.
>Something doesn't necessarily have to 'look and feel' kid friendly to be kid friendly and still good.
I wasn't explaining why it wasn't good, I was explaining why people didn't like it while liking other movies.
>>
>>88440354
The problem is the dinosaurs don't look like the cool dinosaurs in books or movies, they look like gummi worms.
>>
>>88440322
Yeah and small amounts of natural alcohol totally gives you hallucinations.
>>
>>88440412
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJv2Mugm2RI
>>
>>88440373
>TGD looked and felt as kid friendly as any CG family movie
People in these threads usually point out how the visuals and sounds of the main dino getting hurt felt real.
>>
>>88440431
Yep, because munching on a couple of fermented fruits is the same as falling into a vat of liquor and almost drown in it.
Also they did that because "pink elephant lol" (associated with Delirium Tremens related to heavy drinking), it makes a modicum more sense than in TGD. The Dumbo scene also has little to no reason in the narrative, and showing that dumb scenes happened before doesn't make them less dumb.
>>
>>88440438
Oh yeah no, everything has the proper weight and motion to it, it's fantastic animation and scene direction.

But the designs themselves are too stylized for the setting, and the actual story isn't anything to write home about.
>>
>>88440482
you notice how I didn't say a single word and you assumed an argument that didn't exist. Because all I did was say "Hey wait, that sounds familiar" and "I think the video speaks for itself."

I was wrong, though.
>>
>>88440519
It's almost like reply chains exist and I assumed you were the person defending the idea that eating fruits can give you hallucinations.
>>
>>88439724
It was "good" in the same way Brave was "good": above average animation and a competent enough story. We're not comparing it to Ratatoing, we're comparing it to actually good movies, and in that it's average at best.
>>
>>88440600
That's fair I suppose. But Brave was shit. Like, it made me angry. People were talking up Good Dino like it was a cut off that cloth.
>>
>>88440677
Brave was a production mess, Good Dino was a different kind f production mess.
>>
>>88439724
you were told it was bad so often that you accepted the mediocrity because you were reading for a shit pile
I suffered the same with Ang Lee's Hulk where it didn't seem nearly that bad but I went in with a mindset that was shaped by everyone saying it ruin everything that made the Hulk good.
As times past I see the flaws it had and how bad it was but just after seeing it I was like you and felt it was good and didn't understand the negative reaction.

Basically think of over hyped in reverse.
>>
>>88440730
>The Good Dinosaur was originally scheduled to be released in June 2014, but plot troubles caused its director and producer to be replaced, the original script and recorded dialogue scrapped, and the entire cast replaced. The film's release date was pushed back to November 2015.

What the fuck? What was the original about?
>>
>>88439724
No one knows what's good anymore is the problem. The Good Dinosaur is a simple story told well and gorgeously animated, with genuinely interesting concepts and lessons for a children's film, funny moments, and expertly crafted set pieces. It's just that we live in a ridiculously cynical age so people are incapable of looking passed similarities to other classic stories and what they perceive to be glaring flaws like the dinosaurs being "too cartoonish". It's a great movie.
>>
I heard this was the directors first movie is this true?
>>
>>88440045
It was a by the numbers "lost animal" story. Butch and his family were the only interesting parts
>>
>>88441311
It had sneks with four limbs, hairy dinos and tooth birds though.
>>
>>88441311
How do you define interesting? Because a children's movie where one of the central themes is learning how to respect nature is pretty interesting.
>>
>>88441334
Ugliest dinosaur models I have ever seen though, I hated the super realistic backgrounds with the obnoxious over cartoon-y dinosaurs
>>
>>88441236

yeah, from a guy who did a short about a stork who had trouble delivering animal babies because he always getting a shaft.

i will never understand that kind of humour "beat up the character! so funny!"
>>
>>88441381
How people repeatedly fail to see this as a deliberate stylistic choice baffles me.
>>
>>88441407
I know it was a choice, I just dislike it
>>
>>88441402
You can't see the charm in a disabled baby losing his father, about to lose his mother, about to die from starvation before being swept into the river trying to do what's right, screaming "MOMMA" before being knocked out against a set of sharp rocks?
>>
>>88441464

i am talking about THIS short,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiKb_V7iUW0

not the movie, i skipped TGD like our friend >>88441458

i also think the design is offputting, maybe if the backgrounds AND dinosaurs had consistent design it would be passable.
>>
>>88441464
You must be young. Children's movies used to regularly deal with death and pathos, because those are universal concepts that everyone has to deal with. It's not a good thing that they stopped, Good Dinosaur should be lauded for its darkness instead of disparaged.
>>
>>88440932
agreed, I enjoyed it, legit cried like a bitch too

I think a lot of people are overly critical of emotional movies in order to not entertain the possibility of feeling emotions
>>
>>88441464
I don't think that's what "charm" means anon.
>>
>>88441571
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqlaPttudUc

i love good emotional scenes too, anon.
>>
Fuck the retards who hate the movie. They can't enjoy anything anymore unless it's some greek playwright that challenges their way of thinking.
>>
>>88441812

>hate

no one hates this movie, people just wonder why it's so... so-so.
>>
>>88441840
It doesn't challenge the viewer and it doesn't insult the viewer. It's good that movies like this exist.
>>
>>88439724
Was it controversial? I thought it just failed to leave much of an impression. I've heard multiple people say they didn't realize it was Pixar movie, or that it even exists. It just came and left without making a lot of noise.

>>88441407
That's not much of an excuse. Doesn't matter it was an intentional look, the end result is still goofy character designs clashing really badly against the hyper-realistic backgrounds.
>>
>>88442174
But realistic dinosaurs looked dreadful in Dinosaurs. They're reptiles, you have to make them cartoony.
>>
>>88439724
Pixar isn't the golden god of animation anymore and some people don't want this to be true.

Up - great start, weak second half
Toy Story 3 - best pixar movie of the last years but still eh
Cars 2 - "sell crap toys to kids" 2
Brave - worst pixar
Monsters University - much weaker than the first one
Inside Out - worst animation, nothing happens
Finding Dory - ok sequel
>>
>>88442218

surprised? their boss found new "gf" and treats old company like ex-wife.

we need fresh blood to stirr things up.
>>
>>88442218
You're one of those people who thinks Toy Story 3 was better than 2, aren't you?

No wonder you didn't like Inside Out.
>>
>>88442389
3 was weaker than 2 and 1 but still a good movie.
Inside out was boring. It wasn't funny, it had no stakes and the message was "so what?"
>>
File: 1480991505540.png (292KB, 392x393px) Image search: [Google]
1480991505540.png
292KB, 392x393px
It holds the dubious honor of being "no-one's favorite Pixar movie" which as shit as the Cars movies are, can at least enjoyable to little kids.

This can't even do that much for how bland it is.
>>
File: 1480835525225.jpg (60KB, 932x767px) Image search: [Google]
1480835525225.jpg
60KB, 932x767px
>>88440932
In general I agree with this,

People are too worked up in extremes nowadays when that's not how art or the world works. Even in the other direction, when something is not great but not shit either, it's somehow fantastic i.e. The Jungle Book remake.
>>
File: 1479702811452.gif (284KB, 108x147px) Image search: [Google]
1479702811452.gif
284KB, 108x147px
>>88440400
I cannot stress enough how much I hate these fucking designs.

I understand that you need to make things cartoony to make them emote better, and Disney's Dinosaur was an ugly nightmare,but shit.

The Lion King managed to make the lions look like lions without deforming them and they could still emote. And those toys still sold like hotcakes, so don't give me that excuse either.

What a waste.
>>
>>88442732
If you actually watched the movie though you'd see that the MC being deformed is sort of the entire point of his character. His lithe body makes him a shitty worker but good at swimming, his dad was worker #1 but didn't swim so good.
>>
>>88442780
What about everyone else?
>>
>>88441402
>i will never understand that kind of humour "beat up the character! so funny!"
How on earth do you cope with 4chan?
>>
>>88440148

Are you retarded?

Zootopia is all about deconstructing classical funny animal world tropes, to the point that applying real-world social parallels is impossible.

The Good Dinosaur gains literally nothing by being about dinosaurs
>>
>>88441334
>>88440045

You seem to define "interesting" by "superfluous shit that doesn't build a movie".

Either thing might be a good idea to embellish a story, but in no way justify over 40 minutes of utter crap.

And I'm a paleontology nerd.
>>
There was no controversy except it undoing what Inside Out accomplished with Pixar's reputation.
>>
>>88440900
Pretty sure it was "What would the modern day world look like if dinosaur never went extinct and evolved to be as smart as humans"
>>
>>88439724
>What was up with all the controversy surrounding this movie?
There was controversy?
>everyone said it was crap, but no, it was actually good.

Eh.

It was a thoroughly meh movie. No glaring flaws, but on the other hand, no real bright spots either? The plot, story, and characters were all pretty bland. Paint-by-the-numbers kid-gets-lost-and-finds-their-way-home, meeting-different-people-and-learning-life-lessons-along-the-way movie that we've all see a hundred times. Perfectly fine for a kid's movie, but also completely forgettable and no real appeal for adults - which is not what I used to expect from Pixar.

Honestly, to me it felt like a 10-minute tech demo of new animation technology that got stretched into a feature film for some reason. Because daaaaaaamn those particle effects. The water, the clouds, the sun shining through the clouds and playing over the landscape, the trees... incredible, perhaps the most realistic animation I've ever seen. And then in the middle of that nearly photorealistic landscape they plopped nearly photorealistic cartoons and that was about the worst uncanny valley I've ever seen. Yech.
>>
Meanwhile Nemo look goofy as all hell but people don't mind those not being photo-realistic.
>>
>>88439724
Because when Pixar releases two movies in the same year, apparently it's impossible they're both good, no, one of them HAS to be shit.
I agree that Inside Out is a better movie, but that doesn't mean the Good Dinosaur isn't any good too. It was pretty simplistic, but still a well executed coming-of-age story.
Plus god damn I love the OST was amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0sF5RExQio
>>
I want to fuck Arlo.
>>
>>88440900
"What if dinosaurs became the dominant species on earth and evolved to become intelligent like humans?"
There were concepts like herbivores living in large agricultural communities, carnivores becoming cattle farmers etc. Humans would also be there, but would be considered pests that mess up their crops like mice or something. Some of these ideas were hinted at in the final film, like Milo's family being farmers and the cowboy T-rexes, but it was still more "animals in the wild" instead of actual society.
>>
>>88440148
>Zootopia was just a buddy cop movie
>Having a genre and reusing a plot are the same thing
>>
>>88444276
Awoo~
>>
>>88444687
TGD is also of a genre.
>>
>>88439724

I actually hate the way it looks.

Pixar fucked up by doing photorealisitc backgrounds with their traditinally exagerated cartoon characters.

It's like a bunch of plastic toys.
>>
>>88446255
The joints of the dinos somehow hurt my eyes.
It looks painful when his legs hit the rocks and that happens a lot.
>>
>>88439724
They tried to make us care about the death of a young long-necked dinosaur's parent when this exists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRB-faOyUJI
>>
>>88440208

Monsters University was great tbqh.
>>
>>88439724
I ended up not seeing it once they opted out of the whole "What if dinosaurs didn't go extinct and evolved to be as smart as modern day humans" scenario. Maybe the movie was great. I dunno. But once it lost the one angle I was most interested in, I was out.
>>
>>88439724
It was good but just kind of forgettable, at least to me.
>>
Why are humans dogs?

WHY ARE HUMANS DOGS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>88447446
because wolves are closest socially to humans
>>
I dunno what the fuck everyone is talking about but the controversy around this movie was about how dark and scary the movie started getting. The entire setting was just so dark and depressing. Kids were legit getting scared but everyone forgot about it because parents bringing small kids to the movies who can't handle loud noises is even stupider so the controversy kind of got shunned away.
>>
>>88447226
Easily Pixar's worst. No heart, just a rehash of animal house BUT WITH MONSTERS! Fucking Dreamworks tier, desecrating the fine thing that was monster inc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMwSNDRP90o
>>
>>88447565
I have to agree. The ending tends to be the only reason people hold it with any regard.
>>
>>88447464
no they aren't retard
>>
>>88439724

I'd say The Good Dinosaur is a bad influence. It teaches kids that you can inherit things like bad climbing skills from your parents.
>>
>>88448072
Compared to dinosaurs...
>>
>>88447565
It may have been a rehash of another story, but at least it was a rehash of a good story. I'd rather have someone tell me a good story twice then have someone tell me a brand new but shitty story, like Brave.
>>
for me the movie honestly felt like an entire cartoon season slammed into two hours
It had a lame antagonist who was introduced far too late, and a world that felt far emptier than it could have been. I guess the "lost in the woods" feeling was what they were going for but then they switch over to trex cowboys and the flow of the movie was just off
like I said, it felt like slamming a season of a tv show into 2 hours
>>
File: 1474147163379.jpg (57KB, 787x866px) Image search: [Google]
1474147163379.jpg
57KB, 787x866px
>I'm not like you!
>No son...you're me, and more

I was just about ready to rupture my fucking tear ducts at this scene, god damn, this movie was so good
>>
>>88439896
>Nah. Cool looking water effects though.
I like how it killed things.
>>
>>88447446
because furries came before the normal humans
>>
Personally I didn't think the story was that bad at all. I thought it was a decent story.
>>
It tried to out Land Before Time the Land Before Time. You should never try to out Land Before Time the Land Before Time. Even the Land Before Time sequels were smart enough not to attempt it.
>>
>>88442110
I dunno, I think this movie should get some credit for putting two children character in the face of actual "Jesus Christ" danger and not tip-toeing around the eye that they could fucking die.
>>
>>88451410
Why? That happens in every dinosaur movie where the protagonist is a kid.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.