[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why Did They Never Finish This?!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

File: Dat Darkwater.jpg (17KB, 331x236px) Image search: [Google]
Dat Darkwater.jpg
17KB, 331x236px

Just... Why?

It was the most badass action adventure cartoon of all time, everyone I know watched it but they just... stopped.

So many questions from my childhood and imagination left unanswered...

Fuck you, Johnny Quest.
>>
Are there no 80s babies on this board who remember this masterpiece of story, fantasy and animation?
>>
I can't say for certain if this was THE reason, but I know for a fact the head writer/show-runner of PoDW passed away at some point in the production.

Why they couldn't finish it from there, I can't say, since I also know they made a series bible that outlined everything too.

(Ted Turner also put the kibosh on SWAT Kats back in the day because while it was highly rated, he disliked it for its violence... Maybe he had a hand in this, too?)
>>
>>88426761
Ted fucking Turner
>>
>>88427153

Oh wow. I had no idea that the writer passed away. That's quite unfortunate.

>Why they couldn't finish it from there, I can't say, since I also know they made a series bible that outlined everything too.

That's the strangest part about all of it. If they already had the entire storyline and world laid out then why not just pick up the reigns to keep producing an awesome fantasy world? Fucking Ted Turner... This knowledge just makes me hate him that much more now.

You'd think with all the shitty movie ideas and reboots that Hollywood does on a daily basis that they'd pick this entire story up for a live action version. Just get the people who did Pirates of the Caribbean and LoTR to get together and make a badass trilogy film.
>>
I have never meet anyone who saw it and disliked it. It's a pretty rad show.
I honestly have no idea why it stopped mid season 1, what i've heard it was about it not having good enough toyline or the toys were never made in first place. Then again, i don't know.
>>
>>88426761
Its one of those shows you bring up and nobody seems to remember

I do remember quite enjoying it and my mousy successful dnd campaign I dm'd was based loosely on dark water
>>
>>88427392
I know first hand that they had a toyline and a couple video games.

I had a Ren action figure.
>>
>>88427537
My most successful

Damned autocorrect
>>
>>88426761
But Jonny Quest was great.
>>
>>88426761
Why does Xandir look so 80s, senpai?
>>
>>88427603

Oh, I agree it was. I preferred old school Johhny Quest -- you know, where they all rolled around fucking shit up in Asia and Hadji was racistly magical. That one was the best one. Fuck outta here with that virtual reality Reboot wannabe bullshit.

...But Darkwater was better by ten times.
>>
>>88427336

I'm torn between wanting a conclusion and not trusting Hollywood to do it justice.
>>
>>88427755

Well, yeah, at this point they'd fag it up and cut out a lot of the tropes that made the series loveable. For instance, making Tula the main character, cutting out Niddler completely and making Ren a cuck.

I was envisioning a badass live action where everything was perfect. The only character I can think of that would be perfect is Danny Trejo as Ioz.
>>
>>88427613

All blonde magical denizens look like that.
>>
>>88427613
maybe the DT creators were inspired by this character.
there are some references of Johnny Quest in the show (that episode where Foxxy compete against Hadji on a spelling contest championship.)
>>
>>88428062

OP here. I always though Xandir was a dig at Link.
>>
>>88428101
Well of course his principal spoof is Link, but maybe they ad other influences.
for exemple, Captain Hero is inspired by Bruce Timm's Superman but actually his face is more related to Bruce Wayne than Clark.
>>
>>88428182

Yeah, I guess I could see that.

To it's credit, Ren /was/ a skinny man prince who was obsessed with finding jewelry and never made any advances on Tula despite being rich, powerful, a captain and stuck out at sea for months with impending death around every corner. Ioz was the only man on board. Hell, even Tula was more badass than Ren's treasure obsessed self-righteous bullshit.
>>
>>88426761
It was awesome, but it got stopped because it was really expensive to maintain.
>>
>>88427603
It was, but it also stole the fundin that SWAT Kats season 3 should have got.
>>
>>88428325

It takes a lot of tax dollars from Meow Mix to maintain a clandestine Special Operations Force of two anti-terrorist felines.
>>
Not really helping matters was Cartoon Network trolling fans with "claims" of having new "episodes" of Dark Water only to have footage of a kitten lapping up milk. If only /co/ was made in the '90s.
>>
>>88427116
I remember it. I remember the Saturday morning when I woke up to catch the next episode and they put on some zoo show instead. I waited the next week and the week after and on and on...
>>
>>88428660

Yeah, that was a bullshit move. I remember watching that back in the day and being extremely confused and disappointed by the whole "announcement."
>>
>>88428270
I can't say what went on in between episodes, long ship ride and all, but in all fairness Ren *was* mostly concerned with finding the jewelry that could stop the Venom-symbiote-water from eating his entire planet and all. I don't care how hot Tula was, that is kind of a main priority.
>>
>>88428838

B-but even during the downtime? They're all pirates for Christ's sake!

You really mean to tell me they never came back from the bar at port and smashed that gypsie magician Tula twat? They could die tomorrow! Why not act in accordance with your true pirate nature at least some of the time? At least Ioz and Niddler still stole shit and picked fights.
>>
File: exosquad_by_zakuman.jpg (189KB, 525x675px) Image search: [Google]
exosquad_by_zakuman.jpg
189KB, 525x675px
>>88427116
I'm still here. I vaguely remember Pirates of Darkwater being awesome, but I barely remember the plot at all, just some of the characters. I have a better memory of Exo Squad and Mighty Max to be quite honest.

Didn't Mighty Max have a satisfying conclusion? I feel like it's one of the few cartoons like it I remember watching that did.
>>
>>88428959
IIRC, Mighty Max ended with a timeloop. Skullmaster won, everyone else but Max died as he was able to send himself back in time to the first episode, but he retained his knowledge, implying that he'd know what to do and how to fix all this the second go-round.
>>
>>88428270

Can't really blame Ren for keeping his head on the saving the world game.
>>
>>88429040
Kind of cop-out non-ending desudesu, but that was a cool show so I forgive it. Max realizing he was going through a second time kind of redeemed it.
>>
>>88429117

But what's a world without some sweet, dirty pirate wench poonaners?
>>
File: 200_s.gif (27KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
27KB, 267x200px
>>88429040
Well, it was some sort of conclusion. I was probably just happy there was any sort of final battle at all. A lot of the shows I watched as a kid never got that far. Sadly PoDW is one such example.
>>
>Why Did They Never Finish This?!

Toys didn't sell must be the answer, all Saturday morning cartoons were financed selling merchandise, if it didn't sell stuff to kids it's cancelled.

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors is an example, the show was made to advertise a Mattel toy line, it had a movie planned resolve the plot but because the toy line didn't sell well it was never made.
>>
>>88429187

It's too bad. I remember the toys and I remember that they made a game for the SNES. So it was the parents' fault all along, huh?
>>
>>88429223
I still feel like it was a victim of the steady pussification of cartoons that began in earnest in the 90s until most cartoons weren't even about good guys fighting bad guys anymore, but some vaguely SoL type plot or making friends or whatever.
>>
>>88427537

The nameof the series is the problem, it was really popular in my country, also we got a terrible mexican dub and the name of the girl was tula soit was pretty funny since tula it's our equivalent of shlong
>>
>>88429279

Yeah, the whole, "Can't show my little Timmy violence," bullshit really did get going then.

I still remember the normies REEEEEing about Mortal Kombat in fucking Congress.
>>
>>88429377

Gives sword fighting a whole new meaning en espanol.
>>
>>88427907
>Danny Trejo as Ioz.
was he the original VA or am I remembering things wrong?
>>
>>88429457

No. According to the tubez, he was voiced by Hector Elizondo and Jim Cummings.
>>
>>88426761
Does no one else remember the toonami add in late march like 6 years after it ended?
>Folks we have what you've been waiting for it's the lost final episodes to the pirates of darkwater
>ok here it is
Then it's just a cat drinking milk in slo motion with a guy pretentiously narrating it.
>oops sorry I guess someone taped over it

I know I'm not doing it justice but it was a long ass time ago, I'm old enough I watched ROBOTECH (SDF macross) live on tv.
>>
>>88426761
It needs to be finished.
>>
>>88429551

Yes. It was bullshit.

See:
>>88428660
>>88428703
>>
>>88429122
I think it was also the in-series explanation for why Max kept saying in various episodes that he was getting a sense of deja-vu. He was going to re-live it all, literally.
>>
>>88429644
whoops, I missed those posts, but I remember thinking that was pretty funny even as a kid.
>>
File: 1478185696797.jpg (42KB, 543x373px) Image search: [Google]
1478185696797.jpg
42KB, 543x373px
>>88429551
That was the best
>>
File: Z7HeRxU.png (361KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Z7HeRxU.png
361KB, 512x512px
>>88429437
Shit like that happens and it's always a disaster when it gets momentum. Take the CCA for example. I'm sure /co/ knows all about that little historical gem. I'm glad it's become a relic of the past now, but there are always those self righteous "think of the children!" morality police just waiting to nail their NO FUN ALLOWED placard right into everything you enjoy.
>>
>>88426761
Man, this show was so good. I fucking loved it as a kid, it had a genuinely scary villain (Bloth) compared to most other cartoons at the time, good action, and pretty good character development IIRC. Niddler was kind of annoying, but bearable.

Wouldn't mind a HQ release of what WAS put out, but I know that's asking a lot for an unfinished series.

>>88427755
This is pretty much my line of thought. I want it to happen, but I can't decide who I'd willingly hand over the keys to the project.
>>
>>88427153
>>88427283
>>88427336

According to Christian Tremblay's AMA, Ted Turner was supportive of them and the show; the decision to terminate the show was actually by a lower level executive and was because it was too expensive relative to the amount of money it was bringing in.

PoDW was more likely cancelled because it went from being on ABC to finishing out its episodes in a syndicated block that hardly anybody got by comparison.
>>
>>88428660
>They did that to try and piss off fans enough to get them to demand the series be finished.
>People got mad but not enough to organize and put pressure on the suits.
>>
>>88428660
Holy shit I remember that.

Reruns of PoDW were my shit for a while when I was really young, young enough that I don't even remember a whole lot about the actual show.

Does it hold up?
>>
>>88430307
Is it finally time then?
>>
The comics went on a much longer run I think the story is mostly in there.
This was a fantastic premise back in the day. Well designed quest
man v nature
man v fate
man v man
>>
>>88428696
Me too. Shit was gay.
>>88428959
Norman was badass. Fuck Brock Samson.
>>
>>88430688
>The comics went on a much longer run I think
WHAT comics?
>>
>>88431647

Marvel had a series but I think it only lasted about ten issues with most of it just being an adaption of the show.
>>
>>88426761

Didn't the game actually feature an ending for the series?
>>
>>88431751
nope. Not even close.
First thing we need to do once Samurai Jack Toonami Version is finished:
Convince him to revive Symbionic Titan and put it on Toonami, free of dipshit executives and finish the fight.
>>
>>88431877
Last time Genndy spoke of Titan, was in regarding the french fans. He said they were numerous and passionate, and HOPEFULLY might do something about it.
>>
>>88427116
Awww yeah I member. This was a great show.
>>
>>88426761
I don't know why anyone is even opening their mouth about this.

We have so many incomplete series, but we know what happens when they try to...rekindle anything.

To add insult to injury Thundercats actually had an ending and they still made a fucking reboot.
>>
>>88432443
It was the coolest cartoon on TV at the time, bar none.
>>
>>88426761
They should remake this as a live action show and cast everyone as angry Filipino prostitutes.
>>
>>88433159

Haha! That'd be perfect.
>>
File: TPODW_SNES_Ending.webm (1MB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
TPODW_SNES_Ending.webm
1MB, 256x224px
>>88431751
>Didn't the game actually feature an ending for the series?
This is the 'ending' for the SNES version. I sped up the video a bit since the text scrolls very slow. After that the game resets.
>>
>>88434765

Aw... Lame... They just put it back to square-one like that?
>>
>>88434765
>The treasures are lost
No they're not. They're right there scattered within a small area around where the ship crashed.
Wouldn't be the first time they had to go diving for a treasure, if my memory still works.
>>
>>88429437
>Yeah, the whole, "Can't show my little Timmy violence," bullshit really did get going then.

No.
>>
>>88426761
I remember my local ABC affiliate preempted this series & replaced it with 'Saved By The Bell'
>>
>>88435379
The bell can't save you from dark water.
>>
I'll make a promise now, anons: if I win the Powerball and the jackpot is $100m+, I will buy the rights to PoDW and Exo-Squad, give them proper endings by rehiring the important old staff along with doing seamless original-style animation, and release it free on youtube for all 130 people worldwide that would really even care.
>>
>>88435451

I'll be waiting, Anon.
>>
>>88427153
>Ted Turner also put the kibosh on SWAT Kats

Lower level exec. Ted had nothing to do with that, directly anyway. Though his non-violence thing may have helped that exec make that decision.
>>
>>88427755
Hollywood would not give a conclusion. They'd reboot it from the beginning and its fate would then depend on how much money it makes. If it makes shit, which it most likely would since most would see pirates and think "Pirates of the Caribbean knock off", it'd end right there with no real conclusion so it'd be open for sequels. If it does make bank then it'd never end and keep on getting sequel after sequel.
>>
>>88429187
I watched a few episodes of this and I have no idea if I hate it or love it, I keep on flip flopping back and forth, never been so polarized by a show before. One thing I've never flip flopped on was the theme though, that's some good shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqL_SO2thsE
>>
>>88429861
I have to wonder if they actually care or if they just want the government/whatever agency to do the parenting for them.

>make a thing
>put "For people 18+ years old" on the cover so large it's bigger than the name
>people still bitch because "WHAT IF A CHILD READS IT?!"

Be a parent and make sure your kids don't read the damn thing then.
>>
>>88431877
Will never happen since Titan was written off for tax reasons. Going back to making episodes would technically make whatever claim they made about the show tax fraud.
>>
>>88426761
I only ever seen, like, two or three eps, but it was late at night and so long ago I barely remember anything other than it looked pretty darn good.

>>88430268
Fucking suits, man.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.