[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My name is Daniel Rand. For five years I was stranded on an island...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_3407.jpg (65KB, 836x436px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3407.jpg
65KB, 836x436px
My name is Daniel Rand. For five years I was stranded on an island...
>>
>>88422670
>rich playboy
>stranded on an island with Asians teaching up stuff
>comes home to fight crime with a black friend
>>
>>88422670
...and I'm a antisemite.
>>
>>88422769
Huh?
>>
>>88422810
He voted for Jeremy Corbyn.
>>
>>88422830
Maybe he's just a moron then. Like most actors.
>>
>>88422670
Wait is this coming out soon? I was an extra on two episodes and I'd like to see them.
>>
>>88422894
It's a pic from Defenders.
>>
>>88422670
"let me show you dumb chinks how a white man is better at something you created" the series.
>>
>>88422902
That's cool, I was on that too! The first episode during the big earthquake scene.
>>
>>88422945
Wait, earthquake scene? Where was that?
>>
File: the forbidden kick.jpg (222KB, 963x825px) Image search: [Google]
the forbidden kick.jpg
222KB, 963x825px
>>88422670
>For five years I was stranded on an island...
Wasn't it more like 20 years in Not-Shangri-La?
>>
>>88422670
>>88422750
So, Arrow ripoff?

>>88422866
>>88422830
Chavs pls
>>
>>88424335
>Implying Danny haters actually read Iron Fist comics, and not just twitter here say and Ill-informed blogs.
>>
>>88422670
>>88422750
K'un-Lun's not an island
>>
>>88424431
>Implying Danny fans do
>>
>>88424477
I will give you half a point.
>>
Mighty whitey aryan being better than asians at what asians do best.
>>
>>88424502
>not half a pint
ONE JOB
>>
>>88424395
>So, Arrow ripoff?
I'm thinking you'd need to go a bit further back than that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfU8pfUawEE
>>
>>88424506
Danny is actually the worst Iron Fist, as his predecessor stole the book which has a lot of important techniques.

And Shang-Chi is usually a better martial artist
>>
File: pint_club.jpg (89KB, 543x630px) Image search: [Google]
pint_club.jpg
89KB, 543x630px
>>88424519
>ONE JOB
>>
>>88422894
>>88422945
Totally bro. My dad works at Nintendo. Can confirm.
>>
>>88424535
>Bruce Lee didn't get the job because NOT MUH ARYAN
That doesn't help Rand's case.
>>
>>88424552
>usually
Shang-chi is the fucking master of kung fu, and he doesn't need any magic shit to prove it either.
>>
>>88424535
>>88424606
I annoys me when people say making Danny white, was a "Kung-Fu" situation. Marvel couldn't get the rights to make a KF comic, therefore they created Shang-Chi. Don't miss him out of the equation to make your argument look better.
>>
>>88424722
>they created Shang-Chi
>they use the white guy instead
>>
File: ferret-9.jpg (5KB, 260x186px) Image search: [Google]
ferret-9.jpg
5KB, 260x186px
>>88422670
...during which time I constantly raped this thing.
To the point that I can no longer attain an erection without it being in the room
>>
>>88424858
Two main reasons.
1) Danny back in the day was a bit player, Shang was their main guy. However, stupidly they made his father/Archnemisis Fu-Manchu, not only that but they used other character licensed by the Rohmer estate as his supporting cast, so when they lost the rights they couldn't reprint or use them the way they wanted. Shang's been on the peripheral every since. Shang was more of a globe-trotter anyway.

2) Danny and Luke's sales where tanking, so they placed them together into a very successful street-level crime fighting team. Shang doesn't have strong ties to Luke and other street-level verse characters like Danny does.

People think of them first as a duo, so when the series were announced people were asking why weren't Danny/Luke's combined into one.

I get the frustration, and I have mixed feeling about Shang being in Iron Fist. Let's hope he can get his own property.
>>
>>88422750
>Danny is not a playboy.
>K'un Lun is not an island.
>He doesn't come home to fight crime: he just wanted vengeance. And his black friends comes later on.
>>
>>88424858
Danny reminds me more of an old pulp story, to be honest. It's like a funky 70'ish pulp story.
>>
>>88426339
I think one the biggest misconception people have about Danny, is because he's rich and white, they assume he acts like a typical part of the culture, when he's not even culturally American. He's functionally a Chinese FOB in a WASP body. People need to read more that just IIF.
>>
>>88426466
He's not that even in the IIF. He's basically an awkward white guy who happens to be rich and doesn't know how to be rich. Also, surprisingly dumb and fun.

People need to read more IF, period.
>>
>>88426466
Why isn't he a Chinese American then?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1200x1733px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1200x1733px
>>88426498
>All those people on reddit/Twitter saying you only need to read IIF, and keep on trashing the older runs for being poor and archaic (and/or racist).

I have an acute feeling they haven't even tried to read the other runs.

>Also cute and naive Danny is fucking adorable/hilarious.
>>
>>88422670
ALREADY this shit starts fucked up!!!
>>
>>88426637
>I have an acute feeling they haven't even tried to read the other runs.
I did while it was storytimed. It was really a nice reading, even if it has a bit dated narrative by now. I was surprised that Claremont had a beta version for the phoenix with Danny.

>>Also cute and naive Danny is fucking adorable/hilarious.
He really is. I find his stupidity really charming.
>>
>>88422670
I wish he was hotter

recast when?
>>
>>88426756
>>88426637
Don't worry, he will quip in the series.
>>
>>88422670
Curly Fist a cute!
>>
>>88426586
Having analysed #AAIronFist's argument, and trying to figure a way it could work without changing Danny significantly, I came to the conclusion you can't. There is a massive cross-purpose in what they think Danny is, what they want Danny to be and what he is in actuality.

>What they think he is.
White guy who goes to as Asian country to 'find' himself, beats all the Asians who've been training his since childhood, with his "superior aryan blood" in two months or less and takes the power of the Iron Fist

>What they want him to be
A spoilt Chinese-American estranged from his parents culture, goes back to his parents place of birth, learn about his culture, while becoming an awesome martial artist and humbling himself in a lesson of cultural re-connectivity. Who then goes back to NYC to fight crime after his spiritual rebirth.

>What Danny actually is
A child born into the Apex of American social privilege is stripped of his social station and orphaned into a (then) alien world where he needs to fight for survival. After years of graft he earns the power of the Iron Fist and returns to a place he doesn't culturally fit into anymore.

Danny has three main culture clashes in his life.
1) When he first arrives in K'un-Lun aged nine. He's a visual outsider.
2) When he goes back to America, in the upper echelons, he doesn't fit into rich, which society despite being rich /and/ white. Cultural outsider.
3) Harlem and its large melting pot of black and Latino ethnic minorities, he's he still stick out because he's rich and white.

At its core the story of Danny Rand is the white guy as the minority and as the "perpetual foreigner". The real question shouldn't can be Iron Fist be Chinese-American? (Sure!) The question should be can Danny Rand be Chinese-American...? That answer is no, not without rewriting his whole character and then giving him the very same moniker.
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 594x432px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 594x432px
>>88426920
:3
>>
>>88427344
It's people like you that give me hope the world can be a better place. Very insightful look into Danny's character and major struggles.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1200x1790px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1200x1790px
>>88426756
>Danny is literally too pure for this world
>>
File: image.jpg (163KB, 1535x243px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
163KB, 1535x243px
>>88427633
Thankyou, Anon! That really means a lot. I've have a lot of time to research and hone by rhetoric on this topic, since the campaign to race-bend Danny began. I knew it didn't sit right with me, but I couldn't quite articulate why. Most pro-white Danny commenters mentioned that it was a "Sterotype" to have an Asian as a martial artist superhero. I originally agreed with that statement , until some AAIronFist commenters convinced me that as long as he was a 3-dimensional character he wouldn't be. (I only thing I still found suspect was why are you trying to race-bend a non-Asian martial artist into an Asian one?) That's what I'd want for someone like Shang, who has more than enough lore/story/motivation to support his own property.
It wasnt until in the wave of people posting posts to reddit of reasons why Danny in particular should be Asian/AA, a person with logic and without insults explained how in this case a race-bend wasn't logistically festiable.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/3757xr/rational_discussion_on_an_asian_iron_fist_casting/crjxmp3

Along the way I collected several comments/blog posts/articles of explaining why people's character analysis of Danny is wrong and why him being AA doesn't work.
The following is probably one of the most through.

http://snowpavilion.co.uk/an-iron-hero-without-irony/

>Pic related is aces, too

>Comment split in too because its too long.
>>
>>88427461
he looks so inbred
>>
>>88427633
>>88428761
Cont

Some of the arguments for Danny to stay white though have been absolutely shocking, so I have to check people with it, if I can. Bring up other white heroes that have been race-bended, like Johnny Storm, even though it's a false equavilence as Johnny's race doesn't matter the way Danny's does. And, /Sue/ was the adopted one. And, some people have been racist pricks. #AAIronFist have been obnoxious, but anti- AAIroFist has been down right spiteful. There's a guy on twitter who's WHOLE twitter account is devoted to baiting AAIronFist. Even if I agree with some of his arguments, I dont agree with his methology. He's on his second account after being shadow banned. It's really disturbing that people have been telling Americans of Asian descent if they want to see themselves represents in media that have to "go back to Asia~" despite no cultural ties. The whole reason that latch onto Danny was because they are desperate for representation that they aren't receiving. Something I noticed with both proAAIF and anti was their ability to not being able to divorce the (admittedly overlapping) concepts of race and culture. Danny is K'un-lunian despite being white, and Asian-Americans are American despite being Asian.

>Oh, hey! Three parts.
>>
>>88429061
Wow, sorry for the lack of breaks. I was typing quickly.
>>88427633

Danny on the outside is a /very/ Asian coded character. Connected to an Asian country, practices martial arts, wears colours associated with the orient (gold and emerald) got his power from a mythical creature embedded in ancient Chinese folk-lore. It's no surprise people got excited, confused, disappointed and ultimately resentful that he wasn't Asian. Finally a character that looks like us in the MCU, and yet... He wasn't. Looking at Hollywood's legacy of "White-Washing" Danny seems like another 'dime in the bucket' if you don't know any better. I love the character of Danny Rand, and I know half of what people say isn't true about him, but I can still stand back and understand why people are upset and angry. Even when a character IS asian, they're usually portrayed by a white actor.

If there is a silver-lining to this I hope Hollywood in general takes more notice of the lack of Asian (male) representation and seeks to change it.
>>
>>88428842
He's a brit, they all look inbred because down the family line, they all are to some extent.
>>
File: image.jpg (116KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116KB, 500x750px
>>88428842
I could make a British joke, but I too am British, so that would be mean. I will just say I think he looks adorable.
>>
>>88426498
He's also 32/33 in that run, he would have most re-acclimatised himself with American culture, contrast to the baby-faced "fish out of water" nineteen year old kid he was in Marvel Premiere. From the sound of it we'll be getting the latter characterisation of Danny, not the former.
>>
>>88426819
There's not a lot of quips in the Netflix shows, I'm hoping Danny will still be Danny and not the edgy Danny who existed for like five issues
>>
>>88429799
He's been described as "quirky" and "pure and innocent".
>>
>>88429799
>>88429851
But, also been described by the actor as having a "teenager like angst".
>>
>>88429890
Well if his motivation is vengeance I imagine they have to explore that, but even so, I bet they're wary of making him Matt Murdock 2.0
>>
File: image.jpg (165KB, 736x789px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
165KB, 736x789px
I'm really looking forward to the OTP of street-level OTPs happening, but I viewed the Iron Fist trailer. Guys, please Guys, don't tell me he loses his virginity to Colleen. I won't be able to take it.
>>
>>88429141
>>88429061
>>88428761
Fuck off, he shouldn't be Asian
>>
>>88429061
I really wish we had more Asian characters in media, one my buddies stays quiet about the whole thing but we got in an argument about Danny and his arguement was, more or less, all asians are either nerds or silly foreigners and that most peoples reaction to him in romance has always been lol nerd cause of that
>>88429926
Well Danny isn't suave at all so I think it'll be easy to pull off. Misty likes him cause he's genuine, girls like Matt cause he's sexy
>>
>>88430202
You didn't read a word that I wrote, did you? Be honest.
>>
>>88429926
I saw an interview where Finn says Danny "expects Harold, Joy and Ward to open him back with open arms." So, he doesn't know it was Meachum? At least straight away?

>>88428761
The Iron Fist podcast was pretty on point, too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-N0lfFU5bo8
>>
>>88430205
This is why representation is important, it helps dissolve stereotypes and animosity of the "unknown". I would love to see an Asian guy as the male lead in a romantic comedy.

(On that topic, more rep for dark skinned black women would be good, too.)
>>
>>88430202
>reading am hard
friend, if your response to a well reasoned argument for why danny shouldn't be asian is "fuck off", you're probably one of the spiteful assholes anon mentioned
>>
>>88430744
Asian men are sooo fucking sexy it's a crime we don't have a shirtless Asian guy punching people. I would trade the nude oil scene with Jason Statham for one with the guy who plays Ip Man and that's the scene that made me gay
>>
>>88430761
Thanks. I've noticed a problem with being people really to insult, but not to listen. The attempt to convince Marvel to change their canon character to a fanon Asian one, became less about Danny. You could even argue as soon as the first (straw-man) blog post was man it was never about Danny, it was about reparations against an unsavoury Hollywood legacy, and negative societal expectations about Asian men. As "Cultural Appropriation" continues to be a hot button topic on social media, and the rise of the "alt-right" in fandom, Iron Fist simply got caught in the cross-hairs and dragged into what's perceived to be a "fandom culture war". I would love to continue the discussion, but it's like 3AM in England, so I bid you a goodnight.

>>88431105
Daniel Henney is bae.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.