[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did BVS ruined Superman's chances to be loved again??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 11

File: 4382542-36579_comics_superman.jpg (318KB, 1364x738px) Image search: [Google]
4382542-36579_comics_superman.jpg
318KB, 1364x738px
Did BVS ruined Superman's chances to be loved again??
>>
>>88406850
No, the Tomasi and Gleason Rebirth book has been pretty great
>>
>>88406952
I meant to GA. Barely anyone reads comics. Especially Superman comics.
>>
>>88406850
It demaged the IP and made sure to tarnish his image for years.

SuperGirl's Supes had an amazing reception tho, but because he resembles Superman, instead of the Plutonian.
>>
>>88406850
I think it made them like him more, as a tragic and flawed man who's supposed to be perfect. It turned him a bit away from "a god from space" and made him a little bit like "a fantastic man we ask too much from".
>>
>>88407078
So Hack Snyder raped Superman.
>>
>>88407078
>Instead of the Plutonian
Maybe before he went evil.
>>
>>88407112
That's the problem.
People want the god from space. They just want it to work. They don't want a tragic dark Superman who's struggling to become Superman. They just want Superman.
>>
>>88407078
No need to samefag you dumbass.

No one cares about the supergirl show.
Also, Superman sold more merch this year than after MoS and was a more popular costume for Halloween than ANY MCU character.
>>
File: images-1.jpg (76KB, 379x228px) Image search: [Google]
images-1.jpg
76KB, 379x228px
>>88407115
No, he wants Batman to be raped.
>>
>>88407144
And it worked, normies, not retard not muh people like you, love Cavill as superman and one of the things they wanted was MORE superman in the movie, not less.
>>
>>88407112
>I think it made them like him more

Fucking kek.

People only bring him up to mock the movie. Both of his movies were outclassed by a (at the time) B list Iron Man.
>>
>>88407191
No he wants Batman to be able to be raped.
>>88407216
Did it really? The Supermovies are constantly underperforming.
>>
>>88407144
Even WB said that it was a mistake to make him Batman.
>>
>>88407222
More people dressed up as Superman than Meme Man for Halloween. Stay mad Mouseketeer.
>>
>>88407233
>The Supermovies are constantly underperforming.
MoS made more money than any MCU Phase 1 movie.
>>
File: 1481518005436.png (511KB, 714x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1481518005436.png
511KB, 714x1000px
>>88407260
And more people buy DVDs of fucking Deadpool, than a movie with Superman dying after a fight with Batman and with the first appereance of Wonderwoman on cinema.

>>88407286
He is the second most popular hero ever going against B lists, and still made less than Iron Man.
>>
>>88407352
So? The movie was bad so people didn't buy it. You're a stupid nigger if you think it had anything to do with the character though.
>>
>>88406850

People who love Superman didn't change their minds because of one (or really two) movies.

Normies don't take BvS or MoS as anything more than a current representation; those that didn't have a feeling, strong or otherwise) that was either negative or positive, didn't really have it changed one way or another.

Likewise, the few people that might now have had an opinion didn't likely go to the movie and then formed one.
>>
>>88407216
No it didn't.
>>
>>88407222
>People only bring him up to mock the movie

But that's false.
People especially liked the Extended cut parts of Cavill.
>>
>>88407286
But underperformed to what they wanted/expected.
>>
>>88407352

>And more people buy DVDs of fucking Deadpool, than a movie with Superman dying after a fight with Batman and with the first appereance of Wonderwoman on cinema.

To be honest, more people are buying Deadpool's DVDs than Civil War's DVDs as well, which had the entire Avengers team more Spider-Man.
>>
>>88407448
And Civil War"s DVD's also sell more than BvS. What this shows? That people liked both movies more.
>>
>>88407443
Because it wasn't very good.

But it made more money off the Superman brand than any MCU character. Therefore people like the character dumbass. Batfags and Marvelfags don't but I see plenty of normies wearing S-shield shirts. Thinking he's disliked is a retarded concept.
>>
>>88407432
>But that's false.

Nah, I have to agree. The only snyderfag that I ever saw was mocked and constantly asked why He would enjoy such shit movies. Turns out that he also thinks that Sucker Punch is high art.
>>
>>88406850
A bad movie can't kill Supes.

Superdad and Supegirl's Supes get it right and it shows
>>
>>88407549
Well yes, batman survived bad movies, so did Supes, I agree. I'm just sad because of the wasted opportunity.
>>
>>88407612
Meant to quote >>88407567
>>
>>88407567
>Supegirl's Supes get it right

That Clark as terrible, just cliches that made no sense for a superman on his 15 year on the job, the CW are shit.
>>
>>88407567

The Supergirl show is fucking terrible.
>>
Thats the problem with Sups in pre-snyder movies and supergirl tv show
Everybody can be saint in paradise
If Character isn't struggle to become who he wants to be, it's bad and uninteresting
Same with whole MCU
>>
>>88407742
Bad and uninstresting character*
>>
>>88407742
The superman in supergirl had to fight a middle sized drone and was on vacations...

That and his personality made no sense. The only good characterization of the character was in the interview with Lex's sister
>>
>>88407567
Superdad has been a pretty subpar Superman besides that one It's ok I'm superman moment on the moon. Besides that he's been pretty lack luster.
>>
>>88407742
>Everybody can be saint in paradise
The why is it when normies ever talk about getting powers they only ever seem to talk about how they'd take over the world and mold it to how they want. Even here no one ever seems to want to just be the hero for the sake of helping people. The problem with supes is no one can believe that anyone with that amount of power wouldn't abuse it anymore so they end up making him a jesus figure because he has to be jesus level good if he doesn't want to be a dick with his powers. People stopped believing that others can be good for the sake of being good.
>>
>>88407742
Yeah but it was done a shit way.
>>
File: image.jpg (109KB, 540x624px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 540x624px
>>88407989
I miss Superbro
>>
>>88408119
>Have a character go from cock sure kid who thinks he can handle anything
>Humble him down by having him go through shit kicking after shit kicking
>Finally have him come around as the kinda Superman that feels like Superman while still being able to see where he came from
>Kill him off and replace him for an older Superman

I genuinely just feel let down. Like it's not that Superdad is that bad but just fucking why.
>>
>>88407216
But they don't? Man of Steel had mixed reception? So did bvs dumbass. The only guys who liked them were edgy teen fucks who don't know any better.
>>
>>88408119
>>88408187
Superbro sucked for a hundreth times. Why are you guys such fags holy shit.

EVERYONE fucking complained about superbro. His storytimes sucked here if you don't remember. Ever since Superdad took over, superman storytimes actually last a good day or two.

That alone should tell you how good it is. Not my fault your tastes are filled with fucktards.
>>
>>88408053
And that's why normies see Superman in the movie in different than usual comic readers. They focus on superman being worried about people, being nuked and while having doubts always trying to do good and they get mad they don't get to see him happy.

Casuals like most people from /co/ want the particular superman they want from the comic, they are not MUH, they want the memorable stuff from certian interpretations of the character

And Superman fans and actual readers wanted MoS2, a proper superman movie were he get the chance to be with lois, be happy, have some happy times before something like BvS.
>>
>>88408280
Bro I was in the Superbro storytimes and they were great what are you talking about? I've seen more complaining in Superdad storytimes than I did in Superbro storytimes. Although I've seen more people lust over Jon than complaining as well so I dunno.

And even if he sucked I feel like writing better stories should have been the solution not kill him off and replace him.
>>
>>88406850
It's hard to say he really had a chance but mostly yes. Cavill's fucking dismal performance only cemented in the public's eyes that Superman is boring.
>>
>>88408309
I dunno dude. I've honestly just stayed away from the DC cinematic universe. At the moment just hasn't seemed worth the time.
>>
>>88406850
it came fucking close. My brother's about as big as a normie and Supesfan as you can get and he fucking hated it.
>>
>>88407144
>People want the god from space.
a small minority of nerds who think this is high literature or that a christ figure is original want that, and guess what it was insultingly bad, regular people want the kind farmboy from kansas
>>
>>88407144
>hey don't want a tragic dark Superman who's struggling to become Superman. They just want Superman.

Two movies and how many years and he is still a depressed overwhelmed mama's boy? Superman is supposed to bring certain qualities to the table, not learn them after 5 movies. He should be optimistic and a fighter right out of the box. The man himself is suppose to be important, not just his powers.
>>
>>88406982

The superman comics are doing well. in last months sales charts he was at 20 which just has him losing out to events, 1s, batman and the justice league. /co/ loves to scream about how nobody reads Superman but just being behind Spiderman and Batman (and i think Flash for now) when it comes to solo titles hardly seems unpopular to me
>>
>>88410104
They aren't selling any better than new 52 Superman. It's in 60K now.
>>
>>88406850

Why would it, Returns didn't and he was a creepy, emasculated deadbeat dad in that.
>>
>>88409887
>He should be optimistic and a fighter right out of the box.

Why not just have him walk out of the rocket as an adult man wearing the Superman costume, fully in control of his powers who decided to create a fake identity and become a reporter after talking to two guys a minute into arriving on Earth?
>>
>>88410148

And tell me how that stops him from outselling 95% of other heroes and how hes unpopular to comic readers? It seems like /co/ will say that Superman is unpopular unless hes outselling the Bat
>>
>>88408335
You're full of shit. I was there too and your threads during Truth died immediately after the storytime was done. They never got over 200+. And the main shitposters in Superdad are Superbrofags whining so you aren't doing yourself any favors.
>>
>>88408335
>And even if he sucked I feel like writing better stories should have been the solution not kill him off and replace him.
The character himself at that point had become an obstacle to good stories. Killing him off was a mercy at that point.
>>
>>88406850
It ruined any chance that people will think of him as a non-red-eyed-angryman :( At least in promo images.
>>
File: crying-batman.gif (239KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
crying-batman.gif
239KB, 200x150px
>>
>>88407112
>I think it made them like him more, as a tragic and flawed man who's supposed to be perfect. It turned him a bit away from "a god from space" and made him a little bit like "a fantastic man we ask too much from".
Let me ask you, when the average little boy run around his backyard in his superman costume, does he want to be a Snyder Superman or not?

Because I guarantee you that boy has no interest in Superman as a failure of a person.
>>
>>88408309
>And Superman fans and actual readers wanted MoS2

Lies.
>>
>>88407286
Yet MCU still manged to pull off a team up years before even though DC was playing the game for years longer and harder
>>
File: maxresdefault (32).jpg (193KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (32).jpg
193KB, 1280x720px
I partly wonder if Superman has lost his heat

I mean, he'll always be popular to a degree, but I wonder if he'll ever have that "#1" heat ever again. Right now he's more like James Bond or Sherlock Holmes; a cultural institution that some people like but there's no particularly intense zeitgeist around.

I mean for fuck's sake, Deadpool's movie did better. And it was R-rated. And not out in China and shit.
>>
File: Donner Drones REKT.png (114KB, 478x326px) Image search: [Google]
Donner Drones REKT.png
114KB, 478x326px
Probably not, OP.
>>
>>88413944
Is there any spergy fanart of Snydersupes beating up on Donnersupes?
>>
>>88413944

>implying you can't have a badass Superman who's also an actual character instead of a plot object with 12 lines of dialogue

I love how fans pretend it's some sort of zero-sum game where you can either have Donnerman or Man of Feel with nothing in-between.

I guess we just all have to pretend STAS Supes never existed.
>>
>>88406850
BvS was a masterpiece. It was quite an honor for Superman.
>>
>>88413944
Yes, Reeve was the real superman..
>>
>>88411236
No but I'd have preferred if they hadn't killed off new 52 supes
>>
>>88407144
Well that's really fucking boring. Also it's been done like a billion times.
>>
>>88408119
I think the same, what a shame... Is horrible see the definitive end of one character, after the cruelty of DC against him, in his last year..
>>
>>88406850
Nah, because there's still good comics being published with him in it.

I honestly couldn't care about BvS. MoS was alright though.
>>
>>88408280
Faggot. Sure he had bad stories, but Superdad didn't? Fucking Grounded remember??
>>
>>88413601
No I want MoS 2
>>
We need another animated series.

Maybe have him go 3D? Worked for GLtas even if short lived.
>>
>>88415417
I don't want 2 hours of Superman crying in the rain.

The only way to save it is making Pa Kent into Darkseid in disguise.
>>
>>88408119
Then you should have bought his comics.
>>
>>88414131
don't strain yourself, Bizarro
>>
>>88409887
How is superman being a mamma's boy a bad thing?

his call to ma in the middle of the night was one of the most human things we have ever seen of superman, animated or live action.
>>
>>88412368
>does he want to be a Snyder Superman or not?

Yes they want to. And i really don't get where you got the "failure of a person" bit.
>>
>>88408335
>there's more complaining in superdad storytimes
Bullshit. There's barely any complaints if any at all. The last Superman story time was filled with nothing but people saying how cool it is to have Frankenstein's monsters fighting Superman and don't get me started on how people were loving the Annual story time. I've never seen that much people enjoy a Superman story time for Superbro that wasn't Morrison's Action Comics run.
>>
>>88410363
So just like the comics
>>
>>88416336
>Yes they want to.

Not really. Those movies arent even for kids.

>i really don't get where you got the "failure of a person" bit.

To begin with, he is a 35 years old guy who has no friends besides Lois and has alucinations.
>>
>>88406850
Did anyone care about Superman prior to MoS? Superman Returns performed far worse than anything from the DCEU and he was basically seen as this perfect Gary Stu who's purpose existed in being beaten up by Goku and Batman in Internet battles; no one knew a thing about him or ever talked about him outside of this. He seems more relevant and "alive" as a property now than he's been in decades.
>>
>>88406850
I just want them to quit making Superman movies.

For some reason absolutely no film maker in history is capable of making a fun superhero movie with Superman where he fights bad guys and saves people.

He is for some reason just required to be a neverending Jesus allegory with constant references to being a god, deity among men, etc. And never a fun character that punches giant robot gorillas or something. Just two or more hours of really poorly thought out pseudo-religious symbology (by directors who cannot into religious symbology at all or know much about it in the first place) shoved in the viewer's face.

Then they go watch a MCU movie with backflips and quips and think it was all a fun ride the entire time.
>>
>>88420238
I certainly didn't. MOS got me into Superman, hard. I love their interpretation and deem it far superior to the unnaturally good natured Superman that /co/ wants to pretend still exists.
>>
>>88406850
No, but it showed that people can go full retard because not muh.
>>
>>88413735

No one ever thought about it until Petersen suggested it for his movie. Everyone assumed that a solo movie would be best. The only contrary thing is a team or Team-Up group movie like X-Men or Fantastic Four.

Things like Deadpool are going to be the norm going forward, with a few exceptions here and there. Thor likely won't ever be in a movie any longer without someone like Hulk or the Loki plus Cap cameo in TDW. Likewise, Captain America probably will never have another movie where he's the only real lead/co-lead on screen.

Except for IM, none of the MCU movies have made real bank and much of the budget is RDJ's salary plus, as of his renegotiated contract, a piece of the gross.
>>
>>88420238
Oh Lex
>>
>>88420398
What a shit taste, go read good comics and whatch good movies.
>>
>>88406850
only to golden age and Donnerfags
>>
He is loved as an iconic figure, everyone can project whatever they want to onto him.

He can be a symbol of power and greatness or kindness or he can be a cool logo on a t-shirt, that doesn't mean people want to watch a movie about him though or are interested in any story with him as they don't see him as a relatable or interesting character.

For most he is just pop culture.
>>
>>88422254
Wonder where that shit came from
>>
>>88406850
Superdick is best Supes. MoS and Donner fags can get fucked
>>
File: Lois 80s Byrne.jpg (868KB, 1133x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Lois 80s Byrne.jpg
868KB, 1133x1600px
I have been re-reading John Byrne's Man of Steel as of lately. Simpler times indeed.
>>
>>88415485
>Superdad comic barely cracking top 100
>let's put him as THE Superman
Thanks DiDio
>>
>>88422306

it has always been that way, the first Donner movie has the benefit of being the first of its kind, the first time watching the man of steel flying around on the big screen, not much different than Avatar, the first movie with 3D. Titanic, Armageddon, Indipendence day, all campy yet bland concepts that worked because they were the first or atleast the first with enough attention.

Everyone know superman and what he stands for, they may use his symbol but not many really care about the actual character.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.