[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on art college. Is it really that bad? Do I have a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: 879.jpg (26KB, 600x420px) Image search: [Google]
879.jpg
26KB, 600x420px
Redpill me on art college. Is it really that bad? Do I have a chance of getting into the animation industry without going to one? Can an animator be self taught and good? pic unrelated
>>
c'mon /co/
>>
>>88387939
the purpose of a diploma is that is a seal of approval, that you have learned enough about art to make a living out of it
this means that without one, you will need to build up a portfolio of works that you can use in its place
remember unlike, say the hard sciences, the animation industry rarely looks at what school you went to, they look at the works you've done, so if you don't want to go to school, you are gonna have to learn that stuff on your own, supposedly they look at things like tumblr to check your work
>>
File: why did you even apply.png (269KB, 538x538px) Image search: [Google]
why did you even apply.png
269KB, 538x538px
>>88387939
>Going into debt
>For an art degree
>>
>>88387939
>art degree
Anon are you retarded
>>
>>88388603
>>88388660
it's not that I WANT to get an art degree, it's that I want to know if I could even have a chance at getting a job without a stupid fancy calarts seal of approval
>>
>>88387939
overpriced
your diploma is only as useful as the connections you make
generally it's no guarantee you'll even get a job anywhere
they usually only take in people who already know how to draw and stuff so don't expect them to take you in if you want to learn, they're only taking in people who are almost industry ready (but just not there)
>>
>>88387939
It is incredibly easy to teach yourself how to art. Literally the only reason you'd go to an art school is to make connections in the industry. But if you listen to what >>88388571 says, you can make it just by getting really good and showcasing what you can do. Making incredibly good looking pieces of work while also putting it out there and making yourself known is not only cheaper than a degree, but it's easier and less stressful too.
>>
>>88388694
today there are a handful of artists who made it big on the internet (hell some of them not that good at drawing in the first place) without any type of artist education
Andrew Hussie and ONE come to mind, not sure but i think KC Green and Ryan North too
>>
>>88388603

You can always tell the fags who slept their way through High School and know nothing about higher education.

You can go to community college for free get our GE done and then transfer nearly anywhere in your state easy as fuck and entirely paid for by the government.

As for OP, a degree is a prestige thing. That's all it means. It's something that's agreed upon worldwide to get your foot in the door. You either need a degree or connections to get into any industry. So if you have a portfolio and whore yourself out for connections that's the only other likely way.
>>
>>88388739
In what ass backwards hugbox of an industry is a degree even close to as useful as a comprehensive portfolio
>>
>>88387939
>getting into the animation industry
jesus christ how horrifying
i wouldn't do it even if they paid me
>>
>>88388739
Art school is significantly more expensive than community college and still more expensive than universities
even the McArt Schools like Art Institute are expensive as fuck compared to regular college
but going to trade school is cheaper than all of this
>>
>>88388772

Where did I ever imply otherwise?

I simply said a degree is a universally agreed upon door opener.

It also largely depends on what you want to do. Going to art college and trying to get into the industry likely won't land you your dream job of hitting on Rebecca Sugar and broing out with Penn Ward for Cartoon Network or Williams Street. That's all the connections aspect. Typically you don't want to get in the "industry" way.
>>
File: mob-psycho-100-4691019.jpg (114KB, 1200x850px) Image search: [Google]
mob-psycho-100-4691019.jpg
114KB, 1200x850px
>>88388734
basically what i'm saying is that we live in the meme-age, anyone who sticks out can find an audience that's bigger than a warehouse in Oakland
even just some crude sketches can get you famous within the year
>>
>>88388880
if you're an "idea guy" make that idea, skill is overrated irrelevant when you have resolve
>>
>>88388880
>>88388906

This the fact that One Punch Man is a thing says all
>>
I'd say it's mid-tier, you might find use for it unlike some degrees.

Though if you're smart you should study law or economics while working on your art as a hobby. Because you can easily land yourself an art job without a degree. You'll probably regret not reaching for the top in terms of studying.
>>
>>88388946
One Punch Man and Mob Psycho
Homestuck and Problem Sleuth (even though Hussie could draw before, he was not showing that effort for PS and most of HS, rather just working fast)
Matt and Trey
the list goes on (but these people aren't as well known, but still have a sizable audience)
Effort trumps Skill always
>>
>>88387939
Go to your local state school not some meme non accredited shit
>>
thats one of the worse decisions to make besides obvious useless degrees
>>
It depends what you want if you're trying to end up at like Pixar and Disney you probably need to go to a prestigious art school for the connections and as said, prestige factor.

If you want to do indie shit then a portfolio and putting your name out there is the way to go.
>>
File: Art Schools.jpg (4MB, 3262x4982px) Image search: [Google]
Art Schools.jpg
4MB, 3262x4982px
>>
>wanting to be an animator
>>
>>88389104
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Tech_Employee_Antitrust_Litigation
My C++ professor brought this up a while back.
It happens in all fields.
>>
>>88389092
I want to see how that graph changes when you cut out people who got modern "art" degrees where you don't learn shit or develop skills
>>
>>88389124
not in union work
you try to bring up unions in hollywood (if one does not already exist) you're on a 1 way ticket to blacklisting
>>
>>88387939
Careers are socially based.
The point of college and degrees is to be social.
Assuming you can teach yourself.
>>
>>88389217
>the point of college and degrees is to be social
Only partly true. Lots of technical jobs require a degree no questions asked.
>>
>>88389092
>that Shane glines girl

Fuuuck if I could draw like him my dick would fall off
>>
>>88389196
>supporting communism
>>
Russian meme makers are in this thread to push the ideas of trade schools and unions in an attempt to keep the American people stupid and subjective to their secret commie ways
>>
>>88390054
>>88390080

Hi /Pol/ :)
>>
>>88390108
>not knowing /pol/ is on the Putin train now
>>
>Caring about degree
>>
My philosophy is, if you have the funds for it or have a plan to pay off any debt, you should apply to art school.

Education for education's sake is underrated, nowadays. And even if you don't learn anything (which I find incredibly hard to believe), the experience never hurt. Plus, it's art school, so you're guaranteed to get laid.
>>
>>88390123
Modern Russia is more fascist than communist, if anything.
>>
i just think all of you fags just want to learn animation because you wish to create a better life than yours right now.
with or without a degree you are all pathetic
>>
>>88390080
>self employed tradesmen, many of whom set their own prices
>commies

Time to put down the putin puddin', marxist wagecuck.
>>
move into john k's house and be his intern. you'll learn 100 times more than you'll ever learn in some overpriced hold-your-hand college.
>>
>>88390906
>Plus, it's art school, so you're guaranteed to get laid.
As far as I can tell, it's more a myth than anything.
Of course it can be pinned down on my inability to get girls whenever I want
>>
>>88391014
I'm curious about John K swooping everyone up.

I'd rather be swooped by Maxwell Atoms, desu
>>
>>88390916
/pol/ was an inside job done by the russians and burgers were to edgy to see it coming.
>>
Go to scad holmes, Tybee Island is baller af
>>
>>88391014
You might also be raped
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.