[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the worst episode of the Golden Age of The Simpsons?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 344
Thread images: 15

File: Bart.jpg (23KB, 340x299px) Image search: [Google]
Bart.jpg
23KB, 340x299px
What was the worst episode of the Golden Age of The Simpsons?
>>
>>88376126

Marge Be Not Proud.
>>
>>88376126
>What was the worst episode of the Golden Age of The Simpsons?

Not counting season 1 and 2?

Or are you operating under the Golden Age being season 3-8?

If the latter, then "Summer of 4 Foot 2" is infuriatingly bad. Lisa is such an obnoxious cunt in that whole episode, even by Lisa standards.

Or do you not count season 7 as a Golden Age season?
>>
>>88376394
That was a great episode. Sounds like you get all your opinions from that one edgy MRA blogster that hates it.
>>
>>88376126
I'd also say Summer of 4 ft 2. Though it depends since everyone defines Golden Age different. For me its 3 through 9.
>>
>>88376486

It was the beginning of the end for me.
>>
>>88376394
What? That was a great episode with an actual plot that felt real and relatable in contrast to the rest of season 7 which in my book is the start of the end of the golden age (well some episodes as early as in s.5 show signs of the downfall).

>>88376126
Does the clipshows and the138th episode spectacular count? Maybe Deep Space Homer from season 5. It's the first episode apart from the threehouse of horror episodes where things just went too far from reality.
>>
>>88376551
I don't see how. It's not blandly unfunny like a later episode, it's just weirdly straightforward (for the Simpsons) with its story.
>>
>>88376126
To me, this episode was literally the worst among the season 3.
All those baseball players that I don't know at all do constantly nonsense things, and that is retarded as fuck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_at_the_Bat
>>
Homerpalooza for sure
>>
File: hes gonna do something.png (458KB, 929x717px) Image search: [Google]
hes gonna do something.png
458KB, 929x717px
The Twisted World of Marge Simpson.

It just felt like a future episode, with the whole mafia thing at the end. It was just a really stupid, dull episode.

here's the only good part of the episode.
>>
The one you like most.
>>
Was the season the episode Skinner was an impostor considered part of the golden age? It would be that.
>>
>>88380311
>Season 9
Yeah that's Golden Age
>>
>>88378181
You shut your mouth

Roger Clemens being hypnotized into being a chicken was the highlight of season 3
>>
>>88376126
The episode where Homer becomes a mascot for the Isotopes and everyone moves to Capital City
>>
>>88380386
Clemens and Mattingly were the best in that episode.
>>
The Shary Bobbins episode
>>
The golden age is seasons 1-7, the worst episode from that is Homerpalooza.

>>88376425
>>88376491
I like it as a finale to the series, it has comedy, heartwarming moments and the family plays well off of each other.
>>
Lisa's rival was pretty boring, none of the women characters on this show are particularly interesting, they're too perfect, no flaws or interesting character traits.
>>
>>88380311
it was often considered like the "jumping the shark" of the show actually.
>>
>>88378181
>completely inbred opinion
>tripcode
Checks out
>>
>>88380513

Season 8 is pre-Scully and has as many good episodes as season 7, so I'd count it as Golden Age.

And "The Secret War of Lisa Simpson" works better as a finale than "Summer of 4 ft 8". It hits a lot of the same marks as "Summer" but without Lisa acting like a total bitch and ends with Lisa and Bart coming together and being friends; a more heartfelt ending than what we saw in "Summer".
>>
>>88376126
The one where Bart shoplifts
>>
>>88380438
Steve Sax and his run-in with the law was the best, closely followed by Griffy's grotesquely swollen jaw.
>>
>>88381689
This, how the fuck can you not include You Only Move Twice
>>
>>88381733
We're talking 'soooooooftball
>>
so if I never saw the Simpsons because my parents didn't let me, and by the time I was old enough everybody just told me it sucks, what should I watch? When should I stop?
>>
>>88381965
everyone will say watch seasons 3-8 to but I'd say since it would be your very first time I'd try seasons 1-2 and maybe 9 along with 3-8
>>
>>88381965
Start with season 3 and go up until the end of season 7. Maybe season 8 if you like it. Afterwards, try seasons 1 and 2 because they're quit divided amongst fans with 1 usually being bad or decent and 2 being good or classic. They can be better actually after already knowing the characters so the "eh" jokes have more resonance meanwhile season 3 is already hilarious.
So start with 3-7, 8 has some standouts if you wanna watch it (optional), and 1-2 to round it up.
>>
>>88381587
>Lisa's rival was pretty boring
This is a troll, right?
>>
>>88381965
Start from the beginning, stop when you think something is off.
>>
>>88381810
Meme episode.
>>
>>88382146
homers sideplot was the only interesting thing
>>
>>88376126
That chili cook-off episode with the hot peppers. Horrible pacing, slow as fuck with the jokes
>>
>>88381587
>>88382240
You're crazy man

>Bart's insistence on a hose-soaking
>Milhouse being chased by the FBI
>Jeremy's iron
>Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?

Great episode
>>
>>88378181
That's one of the best in the series. Pleb taste confirmed.
>>
Golden age for me is definitely season 3 to 8. 8 still has mostly good episodes, and I think 9 is very clearly the point where the show becomes at least "different", if not worse.

As for the worst golden age episode... maybe In Marge we Trust from season 8? I can't name a great joke from it. Mr. Sparkle wasn't particularly funny, and feels like something from a newer season. Feel like I've probably missed a hilarious joke that someone's gonna point out to me, though.
>>
>>88381681
>>88383085
This baseball episode has got the highest rating in IMDB, so i watched it with high expectations, but it was really shit.
I bet no one except baseball fags enjoys this episode, to be honest.
>>
>>88383334

i dont care about baseball and i love that episode.
>>
>>88376126
Any lisa episode
>>
Is there a mega link for 1-8?
>>
>>88376425
>>88376491
I thought it was pretty good

>you don't control the birds, you will one day but not now

>lemme get a large box of condoms, bottle of old harper and two disposable enemas
>I don't know what you're planning for tonight homer but count me out

>SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP, MY CAR
>>
>>88383898
Not even mentioning the entire dud scene
>>
>>88384992
He looks like you, poindexter!
>>
Homerpalooza
>>
>>88384992
I also forgot Milhouse's yearbook message

>See you in the car!
>>
>>88376486
>Sounds like you get all your opinions from that one edgy MRA blogster that hates it.
Who now?
>>
File: tumblr_inline_njxvauV4b91rzbao2.jpg (49KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_njxvauV4b91rzbao2.jpg
49KB, 500x375px
>>88376126
>>
File: 1471103027340.jpg (17KB, 319x240px) Image search: [Google]
1471103027340.jpg
17KB, 319x240px
>>88382321
>Series of misunderstandings lead Marge to believe that Homer got drunk at the cook off.
>Ends up chewing Homer out for something that he didn't even do.

Marge just pisses me off so much in that episode.
>>
>>88381689
>Season 8 is pre-Scully and has as many good episodes as season 7

Season 8's episodes were too outlandish. Other big episodes like Deep Space Homer were at least prefaced with the real-life Teacher in Space Project.

But Homer fighting the heavyweight world champion because he beat homeless bums? Homer working for a supervillain?

Then there are the assorted weak/bad episodes like Burns, Baby Burns, Hurricane Neddy, Lisa's Date with Density, El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer, The Twisted World of Marge Simpson, the Shary Bobbins episode, Homer's Phobia etc... and don't get me started on Homer's Enemy.

Even The Secret War of Lisa Simpson feels like it could just as easily be from anywhere between seasons 9 and the early teen seasons (the obviously, not golden age seasons). Sure these episodes have great jokes spread throughout the season but individually, i can't call them great episodes and that's why i'll consider it the downfall of The Simpsons and the first season with a decline in quality.
>>
>>88387184
I'm not a fan of season 7 either because a lot of the characterization/jokes don't work for me, but it still at least feels in line with the show. Like, I may not like some episodes but it feels Simpsonsy enough.

Like literally fucking half of 8 I thought was Scully though before I actually started looking up seasons/production codes. If someone thinks 8 is "golden age," masterpiece, "I would fuck this season if it were a woman" and then thinks 9 is total shit then their perspective seems kind of skewed.

Those two seasons feel really similar at points, when 8 isn't trying to do one-off experimental shit. Hell, even when it is, Principal and the Pauper gets shit on at times or misattributed to Scully by people who otherwise seem to love 8, maybe because it aired in season 9.
>>
>>88376486
holy projections Batman
>>
>>88382161
Pretty much this, I can keep going until season 12 myself.
>>
>>88383334
About one joke from that episode required baseball knowledge
>>
>>88376486
I hated it as a kid
Uncomfortable to watch
>>
>>88380311
What was even the point of that episode?
>>
>>88391033
I'm not looking it up so this might not be 100% accurate, but apparently the writer's point was "haha people care too much about things like TV characters and trivial details about them, fuck those guys, amirite?"

Which is sort of weird since of course people care or the show wouldn't be as successful, plus like half the episodes anyway try to make you give a damn about these fictional characters in some way. But I guess if you liked Skinner maybe it'd add to his backstory, maybe. Or just piss you off more.
>>
>>88378181
Fuck you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE6hKlicTR0
>>
>>88376394
>Since airing, the episode has received mostly positive reviews from television critics. It acquired a Nielsen rating of 9.5, and was the fourth highest-rated show on the Fox network the week it aired.
try harder
>>
>>88391147
It's just... I've watched some episodes and it was referenced only once. Can't be pissed off at something that is stuck in closet and thrown in sea.
>>
>>88387184
>>88387614

How can you dislike The Springfield Files?
>>
>>88391215
Nobody cares about nielsen ratings you colossal retard
>>
File: yeah-stuff-sucks.jpg (59KB, 450x347px) Image search: [Google]
yeah-stuff-sucks.jpg
59KB, 450x347px
>>88376491
Yeah, Summer of 4 ft 2 sucks.
>>
File: tumblr_m5dnduOMKw1rw41szo1_500.png (192KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m5dnduOMKw1rw41szo1_500.png
192KB, 500x375px
>>88382321
I rewatched it last week.
The jokes aren't very on point but the animation and plot is actually pretty good. Actually it doesn't really seem like an actual Simpsons episode.
Still, is pretty good and not even close to the worst episode.
>>
>>88382919
>Milhouse being chased by the FBI
>I'm telling you, I didn't do it!
>I don't care
>>
>>88376491
>>88376425
>>88391961

That episode seemed especially tone deaf about Lisa's behavior.

>Lisa makes up lies to a bunch of local kids about Bart being a nerd
>Joins the kids in mocking and humiliating him when he tries to make friends
>Bart gets even with Lisa by exposing her lies
>Bart is the bad guy
>Lisa gets a happy ending

Admittedly, I stopped watching during the Scully era (season 12?) but that was the Lisa episode that pissed me off more than any other and felt like the beginning of the end for the series. Even the vegetarian episode ended with Lisa learning a lesson about forcing your beliefs on others. Summer of 4 ft 2 was just her being terrible and the writers not realizing it.
>>
File: PDVD_140.jpg (33KB, 420x336px) Image search: [Google]
PDVD_140.jpg
33KB, 420x336px
>>88392064
It's a dog eats dog world out there, anon. Lisa's commitment for the holidays were about changing herself. If Bart approached to her group then her con would blow up in her face. She was a cunt but a smart cunt.
>Bart is the bad guy
He was a cunt too. He had Milhouse while Lisa never had anyone, and he had to fuck it just because of revenge. Of course I don't expect his character to understand this but you should.
>Lisa gets a happy ending
I don't see how that's a problem.
>>
Every Treehouse of Horror
Every clipshow
Bart the Daredevil because it's the reason Homer get horribly injured became their most important joke.
Homer's Barbershop Quartet because the idea of taking characters without a previously established relationship and giving them a random occupation, leading to them becoming a huge phenomenon is stuuupiiid.
Deep Space Homer because they send fucking Homer into fucking Space.
Lisa's Wedding, because they had no real ideas or jokes in it.
>>
>>88376126
Depends on what you define "Golden age". For me the golden age died after season 4.
>>
>>88392551
Well that's a hot take.
>>
>>88376126
Lisa the babysitter was the only episode to make me feel physically uncomfortable
>>
>>88392551
You're not alone.
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
>>88378181
>Shitty Tripcode get out of my board
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>no mention of Lisa the Simpson
If we're counting season 9, that one was just awful.
>>
>>88376394
I always thought this was an early season
>>
>>88380427
Dancin' Homer may be it, but I say that very reluctantly. In the commentary though they seem to acknowledge it was more filler than not, hence the flashback to start.
>>
Last exit to Springfield

guaranteed replies
>>
>>88382321
The episode loses steam after Homer awakens from his hallucination. It was a cool premise hampered by the old marriage-crisis cliche.
>>
>>88397819
I need to go through wikipedia sometime and see just how many OUR MARRIAGE IS ON THE ROCKS episodes there are, they really rehashed it once Scully took over and Jean after him.
>>
The worst episode from these seasons is no doubt Season 6's "Another Simpsons Clip Show" another answer is wrong.
That episode is a cheap piece of shit.

I know usually people disregard clip shows when doing worst of lists because they don't really count because we assume they'll be shit but really this clip show is the worst. Worse then any other clip show the Simpsons ever did.
>>
Simpsons threads tend to bring out peoples Mother/Sister/Wife issues, huh
>>
>>88392064
>Lisa makes new friends
>Bart gets salty because it disrupts his status quo
>Starts acting like a spaz
>Lisa calls him a nerd
>Kids laugh at Bart
>Bart goes full /r9k/ and decides to reveal that Lisa reinvented herself for the summer
>Lisa's friends unsurprisingly do not start acting like caricatures and berating their friend for having an interest in science

I don't know what kind of episode you watched. Maybe it was something from season 14.
>>
murp
>>
>>88401326
how do you figure that
>>
>>88376394
that episode is top tier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp_6W07yoSs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_uSeW2-v3E
>>
>>88402359
The old guy who guest starred, Tierney, was a pretty intense man, wish he had more lines in that episode.
>>
Whacking Day. IDK, it just felt very surreal and un-Simpsons like for some reason.
>>
>>88376394
it was a well written episode it's just hard to watch
>>
You're all idiots.

The Golden Age ended halfway through Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire.
>>
I don't think I'd classify it as the worst, but Bart the Murderer is a little unsettling to watch. I always think the part where he's in prison with Sideshow Bob is a dream segment, but then it isn't and I kind of lose my immersion.
>>
>>88391961
I felt that episode was too dry and lacked enough good jokes. Homer and Milhouse provided almost all of the humor there.
>>
>>88376126
Homer's Enemy
>>
>>88378181
some of the voice actors didn't like that episode because too many guest stars
>>
Dancing Homer. IDK, after the first act they just completely forgot to add any jokes.
>>
>>88402256
Fuck, wrong thread.
>>
>>88381689
If you want to nitpick, Mike Scully was on the writing staff since Season 5.
>>
>>88380090
This is a troll, right?
>>
>>88380311
Did the show retroactively or cast retroactively retcon that episode? I agree though, wasn't a deal breaker but it was a low point for the show.
>>
15. Duffless
14. Grampa vs. Sexual Inadequacy
13. A Streetcar Named Marge
12. Bart vs. Thanksgiving
11. Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment
10. Homer and Apu
9. Homer Loves Flanders
8. Secrets of a Successful Marriage
7. Lady Bouvier's Lover
6. Moaning Lisa
5. Homer's Odyssey
4. The Otto Show
3. Homerpalooza
2. El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer
1. Like Father, Like Clown
>>
I don't like...

Bart vs Thanksgiving
Lisa's Substitute
Bart's Friend Falls in Love
Whacking Day
Selma's Choice
The Last Temptation of Homer
Secrets of a Successful Marriage
Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie
Summer of 4'2"
The Old Man and the Lisa
Simpsons Spinoff Showcase

Keep in mind that I don't hate any of these episodes and most still have good jokes/quotable lines in them, but they somehow just rub me the wrong way.
>>
Two Bad Neighbors. Who in the Nine Absols of Hell thought that episode was a good idea.
>>
Bart the Fink. Totally unwatchable.
>>
15. Life On The Fast Lane
14. The Otto Show
13. Bart The Fink
12. Dancin' Homer
11. Blood Feud
10. Bart vs. Thanksgiving
09. Marge in Chains
08. Burns, Baby Burns
07. Homerpalooza
06. The Canine Mutiny
05. Two Bad Neighbours
04. Bart Vs. Australia
03. Bart On The Road
02. The Simpsons Spin-off Showcase
01. Bart's Inner Child
>>
Homer vs Lisa and the 8th Commandment
>>
>>88378181

Fuck you, "Homer at the Bat" was amazing.

The only correct answer to this is the episode that reveals Skinner isn't Skinner - not only did it kill Skinner's appeal forever, it is the only episode that can consistently be considered a shark-jumping moment.
>>
15) Two Bad Neighbors - not bad, but a bit too silly and pointless
14) Bart the Fink - not bad, but somewhat dry and dreary at times
13) Principal Charming - decent, but just not particularly interesting
12) Round Springfield - not bad, but one of the few classic-era episodes with jokes that outright bomb
11) Dancing Homer - boring
10) The Simpsons Spinoff Showcase - makes fun of some pretty obvious targets that are already inherently a joke; not all that interesting
9) Homer's Night Out - sappy ending
8) Bart's Dog Gets an F - SLH episodes are often bland and formulaic
7) There's No Disgrace Like Home - they're still finding their feet
6) The Secret War of Lisa Simpson - sappy episode
5) Fear of Flying - great first act, but afterwards, things get ... kinda dumb
4) Homer's Odyssey - boring
3) The Canine Mutiny - see: Bart's Dog Gets an F
2) Call of the Simpsons - some Season 1 episodes felt like something from a Saturday Morning Cartoon; one of only 2 bad classic-era episodes
1) Some Enchanted Evening - see: Call of the Simpsons; this episode is terrible
>>
Everybody needs to have Homerpalooza and Burns Baby Burns on their lists.
>>
Call of the Simpsons: See above comment about how it feels too SMC-like. Not funny or interesting for the most part
Homer's Odyssey: Trying to do too much in 22 minutes; underdeveloped plot and Homer trying to kill himself was not...offensive, just lame
There's No Disgrace Like Home: Underdeveloped like most of Season 1
Life on the Fast Lane: The ending makes no sense, the plot advances without any logical reason
Dancing Homer: Boring af
Bart's Dog Gets An F: Boring, sloppy writing, lame af ending
The Canine Mutiny: Boring, unfunny
One Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, Blow Fish: Never believed the episode's premise, never been one to fall for episodes that try to pull at the heartstrings
A Star is Burns: Offensive and weird
The Otto Show: Unfunny, bland, although the Spinal Tap bit was ok
Lady Bouvier's Lover: Boring. There's a reason they never used Marge's mother as the focus of an episode again.
The Twisted World of Marge Simpson: Boring, not funny, ridiculously slow pacing
>>
>>88408078
I rather like Burns, Baby Burns, but it's far from the greatest episode of the classic era.
>>
15. Bart of Darkness
14. Homerpalooza
13. I love Lisa
12. Homer's Enemy
11. Last exit to Springfield
10. Fear of Flying
9. Burns baby burns
8. The Otto show
7. Bart gets an F
6. Dancin' Homer
5. Homer's Odyssey
4. The Simpsons spin off showcase
3. Homer's night out
2. Another Simpsons clip show
1. When Flanders Failed
>>
>>88408379
Clip shows don't count.
>>
Simpsonscalifragelisticexpialed'ohcious is pretty bad.
>>
>>88408480
Take that back, buddy.
>>
>>88376126
One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish. I felt like there was zero jokes in that episode, just parodies. It just wasn't funny, and if they were aiming for an emotional episode, they failed too, simply because the viewer knows there's no way they're gonna kill off Homer.
>>
>>88408512
Outside of a few throwaway gags and some nice songs, I didn't think it was that great.
>>
>>88408574
>>88408480
An episode like this is not what I think of when talking about the classic era. It's kind of out there and thin on plot. Homer Alone is a much better "Marge goes nuts" episode. Mary Bobbins is just about as bad as other puns like Mipod, Mapple etc.
>>
I think Homer vs. Patty and Selma is an underrated episode desu.
>>
>>88408668
Same with My Sister, My Sitter, it's popped up a few times as well.
>>
15. The Telltale Head
14. The Front
13. Bart the Fink
12. The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase
11. Krusty Gets Kancelled
10. Blood Feud
9. Homer's Phobia
8. El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer
7. Homerpalooza
6. $pringfield
5. Lisa's Date With Density
4. Lisa on Ice
3. Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment
2. Separate Vocations
1. Lisa the Iconoclast
>>
>>88408736
I'm amazed than any Simpsons fan would consider Homer's Phobia, $pringfield, Lisa on Ice, Homer vs Lisa & the 8th Commandment and Lisa the Iconoclast as worthy of being among the 9 worst episodes of the classic era. Do you just rate Homer's Odyssey, Bart's Inner Child, The Call of the Simpsons, There's No Disgrace Like Home, The Otto Show, Homer's Night Out and Dancing Homer higher than most?
>>
15. bart gets hit by a car
14. burns, baby burns
13. scenes from the class struggle in springfield
12. the secret war of lisa simpson
11. the old man and the lisa

10. moaning lisa
9. lady bouvier's lover
8. life on the fast lane
7. homerpalooza
6. itchy and scratchy and marge

5. like father, like clown
4. simpsoncalifragilis...
3. grade school confidential
2. a fish called selma

1. lisa's date with density
>>
>all these people putting Lisa episodes in their bottom 15

okay
what's the best Lisa episode?
>>
Secret War of Lisa Simpson
Canine Mutiny
THoH III
Bart Get's and Elephant
Dog of Death
Some Enchanted Evening
Bart the Genius
Krusty Gets Cancelled
Bart's Inner Child
Dead Putting Society
Whacking Day
Call of the Simpsons
When Flanders Failed
Two Bad Neighbors
Homer's Odyessy
>>
>>88408736
Nice to see you also don't like LDWD.
>>
>>88408864
didn't make a list but it's I Love Lisa
>>
>>88408940
I really didn't like that one either.
>>
Lisa's Date With Density isn't a top 10 episode, but it's a long way from the worst desu.
>>
Treehouse Of Horror VII
Colonel Homer
Homer's Night Out
Bart Gets An Elephant
Dog Of Death
Bart's Inner Child
Scenes From The Class Struggle In Springfield
Bart's Friend Falls In Love
The Springfield Files
The Otto Show
Homer Goes To College
Homer The Vigilante
A Fish Called Selma
Dancin' Homer
Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala D'oh cious
>>
>>88407333
Explanations:

Bart vs Thanksgiving: Dull and void of any jokes
Lisa's Substitute: IDC how much people nutride this episode, it's also dull and humorless
Bart's Friend Falls in Love: I just didn't find it funny and Samantha annoyed me for some reason
Whacking Day: Weird, unfunny, and I didn't care for that exchange between H&M about Homer's whacking stick
Selma's Choice: Unfunny, too many weird grossout gags
The Last Temptation of Homer: Too many grossout gags, the ending made no sense
Secrets of a Successful Marriage: Unfunny and tedious to sit through
Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie: 22 minutes of the writers whining about Usenet Simpsons fans
Summer of 4'2": Main plot was totally humorless, at least Homer was great
The Old Man and the Lisa: Awful, unfunny, and Lisa at her most irritating
Simpsons Spinoff Showcase: The Chief Wiggum, PI part was good, the rest was just embarrassing
>>
>>88376126
Anything surrounding Patty and/or Selma.
>>
>>88408980
>>88408936
The whole idea of an 8 year old having her first kiss was pushing it, even though I always thought LisaxNelson was a cute ship.
>>
Bart vs. Australia
The Otto Show
Homer's Phobia
The War Of The Simpsons
Marge In Chains
Marge be not proud
The Call Of The Simpsons
The Twisted World of Marge Simpson
Homer's Night Out
In Marge We Trust
The Secret War Of Lisa Simpson
Burns, Baby, Burns
The Homer They Fall
The Canine Mutiny
"Raging Abe ... Curse of the Flying Hellfish"
>>
A Streetcar Named Marge
Duffless
>>
>>88409161
if Streetcar is on the list i'm going to kick off. Then again there are only about 4 classic episodes i'm not fond of.
>>
>>88383334

A tripfag is literally a retarded faggot.

Well color me surprised.
>>
>>88409193
I personally don't get why people love it that much. I might need to rewatch that. I didn't laugh once and most of the episode was personally boring.
>>
Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish
The Way We Was
Bart's Dog Gets an F
THOH I
Burns, Baby Burns
King Sized Homer
Bart vs Australia
Lisa the Vegetarian
Simpsonscalifragelisticexpialed'ohcious
Lisa's Date With Density
Homerpalooza
Round Springfield
Grade School Confidential
The Canine Mutiny
Lisa's Wedding

So that's four from Season 2, three each from 6-7, and five from 8.
>>
I'm surprised at how many people don't enjoy The Secret War of Lisa Simpson.
>>
>>88409385
I mostly find Secret War of Lisa Simpson to be way too heavy-handed, which is somewhat rare for the classic era. In most early episodes, they manage to convey the point they're trying to make and then back off on it, but in Secret War, they feel the need to subject us to scene after scene after scene of miserable Lisa in order to prove a point. A point, by the way, which is fairly unfocused and pointless to begin with.

It's not awful or anything, but its writing really stands out compared to the rest of the classic era. I remember a DVD commentary where Oakley & Weinstein commented that they felt the quality of the writing dipped a little towards the end of the 4Fxx run. And you look at something as heavy-handed as Secret War, and compare it to a more nuanced analysis one season earlier in Summer of 4 Ft 2... And it's difficult to argue with them.
>>
>>88409442
Lemme elaborate a bit. One thing about the classic seasons that stands out is how the central plot of an episode was not the primary focus, but the writers managed to instead mesh it with the subplot or other events going on in the episode, some good examples being Bart's Dog Gets an F or New Kid On The Block. For example, in BDGAF, Santa's Little Helper destroys Marge's quilt which sets up an important part of the subplot. Or in NKTOB, Homer's lawsuit with the Frying Dutchman sets up the climactic ending with Bart calling Moe and getting Jimbo's ass busted.

Starting in Season 5, but especially in Season 7 onward, the episodes became more narrowly focused on the main plot, while the subplot often had little or no connection to it (eg. Maximum Overdrive where the subplot and main plot have almost no contact with each other). Experimentation became more commonplace. Seasons 5 through 8 were definitely more in-your-face than 1-4 were, and while their increased load of content made for some brilliant stories with a lot of laughs, I never really felt quite as personally engulfed in the show's universe as I did before. Whereas New Kid on the Block plays like a series of plausible events, narrated with excellent attention to detail, You Never Move Twice is almost overwhelming in the amount of wacky elements it needs to keep its plot moving. A lot of people enjoy that episode because it compiles so many references and plot twists into a fine structure, but I personally can't appreciate as much because it lacks the finesse that drew me into so many episodes from Seasons 1 through 4.
>>
Here we go:

The Otto Show: First but not the last time the Simpsons tried a topical episode based on current music. Otto's not really a compelling enough character for a whole episode, and the story is pretty unengaging.
Homie the Clown: I like the visual similarities between Homer and Krusty, but a lot of this episode's humor didn't work for me, such as the beloved Hamburglar scene.
Bart vs. Australia: Kind of an obnoxious episode. I thought Bart was really hard to like here and several of the gags are kinda weak ("knifey-spoony," what was that about?)
There's No Disgrace Like Home: Even for Season 1, the characterizations are way off. The shock therapy is pretty funny, but otherwise this one doesn't really hit many high notes.
Homer Goes to College: I notice many of the episodes in this list have annoying Homer characterization, and this one is no exception. It's pretty annoying at times.
Call of the Simpsons: Liked it a bit more last time I watched it, but it's still too cartoonish and limp. Albert Brooks has some great moments though.
Homerpalooza: Didn't like the atmosphere at all in this one, and I wasn't much of a rock enthusiast so most of the gags don't do much for me (save for the orchestra playing that rap song). The first thing that comes to mind when I think of this episode is that guy shooting snot out of his nose, and that's never a good sign.
The Front: Aw, this show ain't no good. Definitely one of the most uneven classic era episodes in terms of humor.
Homer's Night Out: It's okay, but pretty forgettable, and the premise is a little silly. I like the first act a lot though.
>>
>>88409722
Continued:

The War of the Simpsons: Pretty limp for the last half, and since when has Homer been such a fisherman? Drunk Homer at the party is genuinely funny though. "Go to bed."
Two Bad Neighbors: More obnoxious Bart and Homer antics. I liked the Dennis the Menace bits with Bart, but once Homer intervened, it just felt too over-the-top and obnoxious. Episodes where Homer can just get away with being annoying the whole time don't sit right with me.
Some Enchanted Evening: Another episode that suffers from "weird season 1" issues. Feels a little too cartoony and simplistic, and the humor is only okay.
Fear of Flying: Very bland with a pretty lame payoff (Marge's dad being a stewardess) that doesn't have the humorous impact it should.
Bart Gets an Elephant: Kind of a dumb premise with mostly simple gags and a meandering plot line. Homer brutishly ramming the guy with his head reminds me of a Zombie Simpsons kind of gag.
Homer's Odyssey: Bland, slow, and not very funny. The characterizations are particularly off, even for season 1. This is the only classic era episode that I feel is particularly bad, and among the bottom 50-ish of the series.
>>
IDK, it's really difficult to explain why some episodes do the trick for you and others just annoy you. Really explaining why something is funny or boring seems almost impossible to me, because those are kind of undefinable concepts that differ from person to person, and I'm not a psychology/philosophy/sociology major. so i don't know if my justifications for my list would even be helpful.

Like, a lot of people love Whacking Day but it just annoys me for reasons I can't explain.
>>
My bottom 15:

>Kamp Krusty
>The Crepes of Wrath
>Moaning Lisa
Bleeding Gums Murphy always did annoy me.
>Bart Gets An F
Saturday Morning Cartoon-tier
>Some Enchanted Evening
>Lisa the Iconoclast
>Summer of 4'2"
>Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious
>Scenes from a Class Struggle in Springfield
I get the idea... but they seriously overstated the "class doesn't matter" point.
>The Simpsons Spinoff Showcase
>The Otto Show
Otto is just not an interesting character ever.
>I Love Lisa
>Homerpalooza
>When Flanders Failed
Homer is too much of an asshole here.
>>
>>88409832
>Summer of 4'2"

What's wrong with this one?
>>
>>88409856
Uh...for one thing, it really wasn't very funny aside from Homer buying the illegal fireworks. I also never really engaged with it to the point where I actually cared whether or not she was able to make friends with the other kids. That might just be me being a cold hearted, cynical bastard though.

The other thing is that it kind of didn't make sense for the kids to tell Lisa they were ok with her being herself when she'd spent the entire episode acting different, so they couldn't have actually known what she was like.
>>
Bart Gets a Elephant is pretty bad. Has that wacky concept that has no moral and goes nowhere. Also has that hint of Scully era comedy (Homer head-butting the poacher, Homer's solution to getting out of the tar pit, etc.) which I do not like.
>>
Eh? Since when does every episode of a TV series need a moral lesson? That's why every episode of Full House made you want to reach for the vomit bag.
>>
>>88409934
'Cause if an episode lacks humor, it needs good emotional moments or a moral to save it, but BGAE has neither.

Colonel Homer for example lacked in the comedy factor but it's great story and moral saves it from being boring like the episode above.
>>
>>88409947
There's probably dozens of Zombie Simpsons episodes with a moral, but which are pieces of shit because they're hideously dull and unfunny. that bonfire of the manatees disaster is a good example. it ends on some dull moral note, but it's a piece of shit. but according to your reasoning, it's ok because the lack of humor is offset by the moral (and it's a strong moral too! FAMILIES ARE IMPORTANT!)
>>
>>88409957
I find the episode bland because there's no story to get attached to or be intrigued by. Homer's Enemy and Cape Feare might be wacky, but they have a story that captivates you. Frank Grimes is a great one-off character and to see him, a replica of the modern day man with no luck, live with the fact that a slob like Homer gets everything in life is intriguing. Seeing the psychological change in Grimes' character was great and the writers really made it work with the pay-off: Grimes going insane and ending his life. Add a few good jokes in there (practically every scene with Grimes and Homer) and you get a solid episode that mixes both story and humor.

Cape Feare continues the Bart-Bob story and has good jokes from a movie that I love. The ending is rather silly I admit, but one bad scene won't ruin the episode for me.

Bart Gets an Elephant, meanwhile, has no story and the humor feels too much like a Scully episode. Homer is a bit too dumb in his actions in this episode and that makes it hard for me to enjoy this episode. I can forgive an episode with no story or no jokes, but an episode without both like Bart Gets an Elephant is unacceptable in my books.

You might enjoy this episode, but I don't. The plot goes nowhere and they are barely any jokes that I like. Just a bland episode for me.
>>
>>88409980
The episode was pretty much just a retread of Lisa's Pony anyway, albeit a ton more wacky and without any touching moments.
>>
>>88410015
i never said the episode was about a moral. i was making the opposite point. that the idea, which >>88409947 forwarded, of a moral being central to a simpsons episode, is an absurd one since there are abundant examples of episodes with no moral which are fantastic, and even more examples of episodes with morals which are shit.
>>
>>88410030
Oh, and no, it's not a retread of Lisa's Pony. Lisa's Pony is is about a father trying to get closer to his daughter, and about the sacrifices he makes to do that. Bart gets an Elephant is about a jerk elephant and a jerk father, and it's hilarious.
>>
To me, BGAE falls short because in addition to its hectic premise, it handles emotion quite clumsily. David Mirkin was known for wild experimentation during his time as showrunner, but in most cases, he pulled off outlandish setups with classy humor and razor-sharp focus. He could map out a serious, tense story like Marge on the Lam and still find plenty of appropriate opportunities for jokes, since they perfectly offset the details of the plot itself. Homer's entrapment in vending machines grows with sorrow before abruptly coming down to one of the funniest reveals in Simpsons history. Similarly, Marge and Ruth's exhilarating escape from the cops is hilarious contrasted by Chief Wiggum's buffoonish logic and harmless posterior. Both examples retain momentous direction as a solid lead-in to their comedic moments on the other side. This type of deft writing persisted throughout much of the Classic era, and to me it's exemplified perfectly in that episode, in particular. Cape Feare, which was headed by Al Jean and Mike Reiss, also cleverly employs dark suspense as a buildup to hilarious gags, which is probably the major reason it's so beloved.
>>
>>88410075
2/2

In BGAE, the writers take a cartoonish plot and try to handle it in a halfway serious fashion. Too much of the episode's focus is centered around Bart's growing attachment to his new pet, which feels awkward because the viewer can't empathize with Bart's situation. Instead of portraying Stampy with a touch of pity, the writers exhibit his intimidating and destructive nature. Very little attention is given to Bart's relationship with Stampy aside from being stuffed into his mouth and receiving some help getting to sleep. The only really feasible explanation for Bart's sympathy for Stampy is his sense of entitlement for having won the radio contest. Otherwise, he seems inexplicably indifferent to its dangerous presence and threat to the whole neighborhood. Throughout the episode, it feels like the writers are attempting a tone of melancholy when instead I almost feel terrified for Bart's life. This clash of emotions leaves the story with a lousy progression and very little room for any serious development. What the flimsy story arc all comes down to is Bart coming to release the elephant in a more suitable environment. Nothing too deep or exciting there. The episode might have worked more effectively if it had openly acknowledged the absurdity of its setup and satirized the hell out of it, but instead it cramps it with a cloying emotional story that rather falls all over the place. It's partially saved by a plethora of funny peripheral gags, but compared to the tight construction of other Mirkin episodes, it's quite a stumble.
>>
>>88381965
Start at the beginning, go up until you stop finding it funny (if you go past Season 11, chances are you've gone too far).

It's perfect timing too, since the first episode was a Christmas special. Seasons 1 and 2 are old and janky, but still very much watchable. Power through em and you'll get to the gold before you know it.
>>
>>88383096
>THEN BIFF, BAM, I SENT THEM FLYING LIKE-A TWO HAIR-Y FOOT BALLLLS
>Another two came SCREAMING AT ME!
>HKKKKSSSHHHH! HKKKKKSSSSSSSHHHHHH!!!
>...and that's when I got MAD.
>>
>>88384992
>the animation on Homer's smile
Fuck me I lose it every time.
Also, that bit in the beginning about the sprinklers is quoted in my circle of friends literally every summer.
>>
>>88387184
>Homer's Phobia
>You Only Move Twice
>The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
>Homer's Enemy
>Weak/Bad Episodes
That's some objectively shit taste you got there senpai.
>>
>>88392175
Everything about this post except for the clipshows is utterly wrong in the worst way.
>>
>>88392551
Go to bed Mr. Groening.
>>
>>88410211
Do you have any arguments to back that up, Mr. Scientician?
>>
>>88378181
This is the best bait I've ever seen
>>
>>88408864
Probably either I Love Lisa, Lisa's First Word, or Round Springfield, though I've always had a soft spot for Lisa the Vegetarian and Lost Our Lisa. She works as a good foil for Homer, and there's a lot of genuinely nice emotion to be gotten out of their relationship.
>>
File: JUST ASK THIS SCIENTICIAN.jpg (33KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
JUST ASK THIS SCIENTICIAN.jpg
33KB, 640x480px
>>88410226
>>
>>88410284
That's why they've done only about 400 Homer/Lisa episodes.
>>
All these posts/lists and nobody's yet mentioned Krusty Gets Kancelled?
>>
15) When Flanders Failed
14) Three Men and a Comic Book
13) Black Widower
12) Saturdays of Thunder
11) Sideshow Bob Roberts
10) A Star is Burns
9) Much Apu About Nothing
8) Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish
7) Bart the Murderer
6) Bart Gets Famous
5) The Homer They Fall
4) When Flanders Failed
3) Marge in Chains
2) Homer's Odyssey
1) Homer's Night Out

The only easy one was "Homer's Night Out".
>>
>>88410358
I'm surprised that I haven't seen much of When Flanders Failed. It's the most boring, cringey episode ever. Worse than half the episodes from the zombie simpsons era
>>
>>88410385
I liked Three Men and a Comic Book.
>>
>>88410108
You're right about the flimsy emotional arc of the episode, and you're right to criticise the episode for clumsily treading the fine line between absurdity and real emotion. i'd have rather the episode forgo any attempt to show any bond developing between the elephant and Bart, and to instead have showcased more absurd, mean spirited or unrelated-to-anything gags.

However, it was far from a pile of lolsorandumb jokes; everything was well constructed and also I'm pretty sure this episode was intended from the get-go as a slightly non-serious one.

Also as for the comments about jerkass Homer, IDK, somehow he didn't annoy me too much here the way he does in, eg, Trash of the Titans.
>>
>>88409067
>Lisa's Substitute: IDC how much people nutride this episode, it's also dull and humorless
Why? It's touching and not every episode has to be wacky jokes.
>>
>>88377712
>Maybe Deep Space Homer from season 5. It's the first episode apart from the threehouse of horror episodes where things just went too far from reality.

How so? It seems pretty consistent with the Simpsons universe, I mean there's no reason to think that in the Simpsons universe, NASA couldn't hire a guy like Homer as an astronaut.

Compare that to That 90s Show which is an abomination of an episode because it defies the Simpsons world (and because it does it in a completely unimaginative, predictable, copy + paste a character into the 1990's way). deep space homer is ok, because in the simpsons there's been no precedent for nasa requiring only different kinds of mathematicians and statisticians in space.
>>
The Day the Violence Died

Have episodes about Itchy & Scratchy _ever_ been good?
>>
>>88410538
Fuck you, that episode rules!
>>
>>88410538
>Roger Meyers Junior mentioning Chief Wiggums as a plagiarized character
>>
>>88410562
>>88410538
First of all, Chester Lampwick is a lousy one-shot character. He has no depth aside from wanting money for creating Itchy, and when he finally receives his multi-million dollar bonus, he doesn't care about anything or anyone. Also if he was old enough to have created Itchy in 1919 (assuming the episode takes place in 1996 when it aired), then he should be dead by now. I find it callous that he could just shrug off the consequences of his lawsuit against Roger Myers, which led to the complete destruction of Itchy & Scratchy. Not only does he care about absolutely nobody except himself, he's virtually oblivious to real life pragmatism and responsibility.

Most of The Day the Violence Died simply focuses on trying to prove Lampwick was the rightful owner of Itchy before abruptly cutting to a new story once that issue is resolved. Until Roger Myers, Jr. goes out of business, the story takes a one-sided pro-Lampwick stance, leaving little to consider from any other perspective. This leaves us with a terribly simplistic and stale episode for most of the duration, and once the conclusion of the first part leads into the second, the tone suddenly shifts entirely. Even with the limited running time remaining, the scope is still too narrow for the transition to be smooth. With Lampwick 100% satisfied with his golden mansion, Bart and Lisa simply have to save Itchy & Scratchy themselves, unguided and with no further insight.

The Day the Violence Died is still a highly enjoyable episode, thanks to several funny moments, a great court scene featuring Lionel Hutz, a hilarious parody of I'm Just a Bill, and a clever wrap-up, but due to its bland and uninteresting plot, it's a notable step down from the status-quo of Season 7 (though not as big a step down as Homerpalooza).
>>
If we were including holdover 3Gxx and 4Fxx episodes aired during Season 9, then Simpson Tide and Principal and the Pauper should be listed.

Awfully surprised to see The Secret War of Lisa Simpson show up so many times here. The absence of a subplot or many supporting Springfield characters I can understand but it really was a sweet story focused around Bart and Lisa and certainly very unique within the history of the entire show. The amount of times he has been in her corner supporting her the way he was here I can probably count on one hand. I can think of Separate Vocations off the top of my head and not much else comes to mind.
>>
>>88410538
I personally don't like Santa's Little Helper episodes.
>>
>>88410683
IDK, the one I really didn't like was The Canine Mutiny because I hated SLH and was rooting for Bart to ditch him in favor of Laddie, and I know there was supposed to be this whole emotional thing going on, but it didn't click with me at all. The pacing was bad too, the episode in general felt like it was too long.
>>
>>88410613
>Chester Lampwick is a lousy one-shot character. He has no depth aside from wanting money for creating Itchy, and when he finally receives his multi-million dollar bonus, he doesn't care about anything or anyone. Also if he was old enough to have created Itchy in 1919 (assuming the episode takes place in 1996 when it aired), then he should be dead by now. I find it callous that he could just shrug off the consequences of his lawsuit against Roger Myers, which led to the complete destruction of Itchy & Scratchy. Not only does he care about absolutely nobody except himself, he's virtually oblivious to real life pragmatism and responsibility.
that's what makes it so funny to me. here's this guy who's a victim of corporate malfeasance who, traditionally, the audience is supposed to feel sorry for, and he's just a complete asshole the whole time. someone getting rich and adopting a "screw you, got mine" attitude is actually very common.
>Most of The Day the Violence Died simply focuses on trying to prove Lampwick was the rightful owner of Itchy before abruptly cutting to a new story once that issue is resolved. Until Roger Myers, Jr. goes out of business, the story takes a one-sided pro-Lampwick stance, leaving little to consider from any other perspective. This leaves us with a terribly simplistic and stale episode for most of the duration, and once the conclusion of the first part leads into the second, the tone suddenly shifts entirely. Even with the limited running time remaining, the scope is still too narrow for the transition to be smooth. With Lampwick 100% satisfied with his golden mansion, Bart and Lisa simply have to save Itchy & Scratchy themselves, unguided and with no further insight.
I think the third act, especially the ending, is kind of obnoxiously "meta" but man that second act break twist is so great. bart and lisa try to do right thing and it completely blows up in their faces.
>>
>>88387184
>>88407097
Why on earth would anyone 'like' El Viaje as the worst episode of the classic era? Do they not like Johnny Cash for some reason?
>>
15. Saturdays of Thunder
14. Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy
13. Much Apu About Nothing
12. A Streetcar Named Marge
11. Round Springfield
10. Lisa's Substitute
9. Lady Bouvier's Lover
8. The Canine Mutiny
7. Lisa the Greek
6. Dancin' Homer
5. Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield
4. Homerpalooza
3. Moaning Lisa
2. The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase
1. Life on the Fast Lane
>>
>>88410780
Somebody please explain their inclusion of Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy. Please explain why that classic is in their bottom 15.
>>
I am greatly saddened by the lack of love for Moaning Lisa and to a lesser extent A Streetcar Named Marge.
>>
>>88410819
IDK about Streetcar, but while the subplot is brilliance, the main plot is relatively weak and also Julie Kavner is not much of a singer.
>>
>>88410819
Streetcar isn't a top 30 episode, but it's not terrible by any means.

As for ML, a lot of people are eternally asshurt at Lisa for whatever reason and just automatically put all of her episodes in the shitbucket, also they probably forgot about the Bart/Homer video game subplot which was quite hilarious. They just remember Lisa being depressed and not wanting to smile and hanging out with some old creepy pedophile jazz musician on a street in the middle of the night.
>>
>>88410780
Lisa the Greek isn't the funniest episode but it's probably the best Homer and Lisa episode

Life on the Fast Lane is a shitty episode where everyone comes across as jerks

I actually think you might be autistic if you hate the Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase as its a great sendup of shitty spinoff shows. Can you bring yourself to hate Wiggum PI and its whole cop show sendup.

Homerpalooza and the Canine Mutiny are kinda weak episodes with their moments
>>
If people didn't tell me that Last Exit to Springfield was a top 10 episode, I'd never arrive at that conclusion myself.
>>
>>88410868
Yes but Jon Lovitz makes up for the shitty singing
>>
15. Treehouse of Horror II
14. Homer Loves Flanders
13. Round Springfield
12. Bart vs. Australia
11. The Call of the Simpsons
10. Bart Gets Famous
9. The Front
8. Marge Gets A Job
7. The Old Man and the Lisa
6. Homer's Odyssey
5. Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire
4. The Canine Mutiny
3. My Sister, My Sitter
2. Homerpalooza
1. Homer's Night Out
>>
>>88410798
I wanna go with the fact that its a Lisa episode who people hate
>>
>>88410885
I really don't get what is so above-average about LETS. There are at least 70 episodes funnier than it, including Lisa vs Malibu Stacy.
>>
I don't get the hate with Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy. It's possibly one of the funniest episodes ever, almost as funny as Cape Feare. Also, what's wrong with The secret war of Lisa Simpson?
>>
Lisa the Vegetarian.

This is one of the episodes where I find Lisa to be at her most annoying.

Poor Homer wanted to have a BBQ, but no, Lisa wrecks it because she's a douchebag and that's what douchebags do.
>>
>>88410967
Lisa came to view cooking meat as the brutal slaughter of innocent creatures, so at least you can understand why she would be so pissed off at her dad's BBQ. Her behavior wasn't appropriate, and she had to learn tolerance by the end of the episode, but at least she wrecked the BBQ for a legitimate reason. Overreaching idealism is a common human trait, and it's really one of the primary causes of real life conflicts.
>>
>>88410986
Ok. I suppose, yes, she was standing up for her rights. But she should have understood that her dad simply wanted to cook and have a good time with his friends. She could have simply held up a sign saying pro-vegetarianism stuff instead of launching the pig.

But you explained it all well.
>>
>>88409788
I think the reason why people dislike whacking day is its so inexplicable.

>Bart becomes smart after reading one book
>Bart is the only person ever to realise the thing about the dates
>Springfield is full of snakes despite the fact they kill them every year
>Barry white is there and is into bestiality
>>
Brother From the Same Planet
Homer's Enemy
Bart's Dog Gets an F
1Bart Gets an Elephant
Lady Bouvier's Lover
The Canine Mutiny
The Old Man and the Lisa
The Day the Violence Died
Two Bad Neighbors
Burns, Baby Burns
Stark Raving Dad
A Star is Burns
Krusty Gets Kancelled
Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala-D'oh-cious
The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase
>>
>>88410986
Understanding why she acted like a bitch doesn't change the fact that she acted like a bitch.
>>
>>88410999
IDK about you, but I found the exchange between Homer and Marge about his whacking stick juuuust a little too much for me.
>>
To be honest, the only two episodes that I genuinely dislike are 1 & 2. Otherwise, my list is comprised of episodes that I see as pretty weak in terms of story but still watchable, forgettable episodes & overrated episodes.

15. Principal Charming
14. Homer vs. Patty & Selma
13. Raging Abe Simpson & His Grumbling Grandson in the Curse of the Flying Hellfish
12. The Springfield Files
11. Summer of 4 ft. 2
10. Burns, Baby Burns
9. Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington
8. Simpsons Spin-off Showcase
7. Burns Verkaufen Der Kraftwerk
6. Bart Gets Famous
5. Rosebud
4. Scenes From the Class Struggle in Springfield
3. Lisa the Iconoclast
2. The Canine Mutiny
1. Call of the Simpsons
>>
>>88410996
If the episode was approached with your suggestion, I think the story would be less conflicted with characterization. A story has a few essentials, the most important one being conflict. The idea in the episode was to have development of a dysfunctional family conflict while establishing the message of tolerance. If Lisa was only holding a sign that said "pro-vegetarian", it doesn't create the same strong sense of conflict to lead into an emotional ending.

Lisa's role in this episode was well-justified for her age--the truth is that children have a hard time understanding that not everyone shares their beliefs. Despite this childish behavior, she also displays characterization that defined this character in the first place, which would be a charismatic and ambitious character. Having said that, these seemingly opposed traits actually combine together to create more action in order to deliver the moral more effectively. Sure she may be annoying in this episode, but in the end it's really just Lisa being a child, arguing for her demands (with exaggeration of the pig part, of course), then learning her lesson--it's quite typical.
>>
Personally, I wish Lisa acted like a kid more often, although in recent Zombie Simpsons episodes it seems as if Bart has more of that problem than her.
>>
In no order

1. There's No Disgrace Like Home
2. The Call of the Simpsons
3. Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish
4. Dead Putting Society
5. Principal Charming
6. Old Money
7. Lisa's Pony
8. Bart's Friend Falls in Love
9. Homer vs. Patty and Selma
10. Marge Be Not Proud
11. A Milhouse Divided
12.Hurricane Neddy
13.The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular
14. Lisa the Vegetarian
15. The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons
>>
I never understood all the Flintstones references/jokes in the classic seasons. They always seemed weird and out of place.
>>
>>88411077
Also never got the "Rover Hendrix" bit in Homerpalooza. It makes absolutely no sense.
>>
>>88411073
>11. A Milhouse Divided

Yeah I don't really like this one either and am surprised no one's mentioned it so far.
>>
>>88411077
Flintstones was the forerunner to the Simpsons in many ways and I could be wrong one of the only major prime time animated TV series on the air alongside Wait till your Father came home and the Jetsons?
>>
>>88411077
That's just Groening and John Swartzwelder having a nostalgia wank. Pay it no mind.
>>
>>88411090
If you saw the DVD commentary for the episode, Oakley and Weinstein said that it was a pretty bad joke that shouldn't have been put in there.
>>
For some reason, I've never liked the overdramatic ending to Bart Of Darkness. It's just very weird and doesn't fit the episode.
>>
>>88411100
It's such a negative episode and Luanna and Kirk have no sympathetic characteristics at all in the episode

Have you seen that one where Homer and Kirk manages a little league team. God I hated that episode.
>>
Homer and Tom falling into the ravine in Brother From The Same Planet. Smacks of a Zombie Simpsons gag.
>>
>>88411132
It works in a horror homage way. I get your point through its one of the darker and edgier episodes.
>>
Anyways one of them I'm going to mention is the joke in A Star is Burns where Patty and Selma changes the letters of Springfield to Seinfeld which just felt like a tacked on reference. Then there's this other one in Bart's Dog Gets an F where Homer tries to get a refund on his ruined shoes where the store clerk says "I'm sorry, sir, our warranty doesn't cover fire, theft, or acts of dog." which I didn't even know was a joke until I read about it on NoHomers. Just mean spirited and not funny.
>>
New Kid on the Block
Marge Gets a Job
Lisa on Ice
You Only move Twice (no joke)
Dog of Death
>>
>>88411182
>You Only move Twice (no joke)
Explain!
>>
File: Laughing Anime Girl (2).gif (3MB, 445x247px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Anime Girl (2).gif
3MB, 445x247px
>>88411167
>Then there's this other one in Bart's Dog Gets an F where Homer tries to get a refund on his ruined shoes where the store clerk says "I'm sorry, sir, our warranty doesn't cover fire, theft, or acts of dog." which I didn't even know was a joke until I read about it on NoHomers
>>
My Sister, My Sitter: Bart is a serious asshole and also it's pushing it that Marge would let Lisa babysit all of them (IDC how smart she is, she's 8 and as if Bart was ever conceivably going to listen to her).

Homerpalooza: Nothing but a bunch of celebrity guests

The Crepes of Wrath

The War of the Simpsons: Secrets of a Successful Marriage does the same basic plot 10x better

Bart's Inner Child: After the first act, it falls apart. Easily the weakest Season 5 episode.
The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase: Spin-Off just isn't a very funny episode in the slightest. The humor tries to come from the fact that the humor in the spin-offs is so bad, but it doesn't really work.

Like Father, Like Clown: Zzzzzzzzzzzz...
>>
>>88411229
>The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase
Skinner got the only laughs in that one.
>>
>>88376394
>Marge Be Not Proud.

I agree with you.

>kid shoplifts
>instead of punishing him like a normal parent, she basically exiles him from the family and acts like a general cunt to him, during Christmas no less

Yes this is exactly what you do to children who have committed some of the worse acts. I can't possibly see this backfiring. No, not at all. It's not like this kind of shit makes some of the worse monsters out there in real life.
>>
Old Money is pretty lame desu.
>>
-Another Simpsons Clip Show
-Marge in Chains
-Homer's Odyssey
-Bart's Dog Gets An F
>>
>>88411269
Ahem. Clip shows are excluded from contention.
>>
>>88411247
It's one of those things that's pretty conceptually stupid like Lisa having her first kiss at the tender age of 8 in LDWD, but the episode is funny enough that I can overlook it.

Same with MBNP. Yes, it's pretty stupid for Marge to treat Bart like he'd just blown up a bus full of paraplegic nuns, however there's so many killer jokes in the episode that I can't hate it.
>>
>>88411306
>>88411247
The other part that makes no sense...I mean, come on. It's not as if Marge doesn't already know that her son is a troublemaker. Why is she suddenly now acting like he was always so sweet, innocent, and perfect up until that point?
>>
What about Springfield Up? That's probably the worst flashback episode, other than that, probably The Way We Was.
>>
>>88411334
Not a classic season episode and also not a flashback episode.
>>
>>88411334
TWWW was the only truly brilliant flashback episode imo. I Married Marge is cute and has a lot of touching moments, but it lacks the same sharpness. Lisa's First Word is a cute little episode, with memorable and funny details, still I would see a lot of episodes before this.

I haven't decided yet about Barbershop Quarter. Is it brilliant because of its freedom or is it just a weak excuse to include Beatles references? Either way, it's a funny and memorable episode, but still, not one of the bests for me.

And Maggie makes three could probably get my vote, cause I don't consider it very memorable, except for some small pieces. Maybe the whole story is a little too simple even though it has a quite emotional ending, that I don't really buy, but it's still well done. It also have a lot of good gags but sometimes the balance between silly (good) gags and real life emotion seems a little off.

I'm undecided between Maggie and I Married Marge, but I guess I'd pick the former.
>>
>>88411255
Old Money is a top ten underrated episode for me, the others are reasonable choices.
>>
I think both Moaning Lisa and Round Springfield are slightly underrated. Sure they are sappy and sentimental but I think Bleeding Gums Murphy was a very interesting character and his relationship with Lisa is incredibly touching. I think especially in Round Springfield, as they combine the highly emotional plot of BGM actually dying with the more humorous Bart subplot.
>>
>>88411008
But that's the whole point of the episode; she's WRONG.
I don't get why everyone crucifies Lisa the Vegetarian as the start of modern "I'm a progressive mouthpiece who is never wrong" Lisa when the episode is entirely the OPPOSITE of that.

>Lisa becomes a vegetarian
>Acts like a preachy bitch
>Finds out Apu is vegetarian too, expects him to be on her side
>He tells her that she's not perfect just for not eating meat and that it's important to accept others
>Homer apologizes to Lisa since he feels he was in the wrong for mocking her newfound beliefs
>Lisa explains that she was in the wrong for not accepting everyone else's beliefs
>They accept each other and literally ride off into the sunset
>>
I don't know, season 1 ? Probably because there's nothing in that season that I will consider "masterpiece". Even it's really good, it's just weird season which I don't really consider as classic era, probably because it's way too different in comparison to other classic seasons.
>>
>>88411016
Is this a joke post? Have I been joked with?
>>
>>88411090
The writers apparently hated that joke and only put it in because they literally couldn't think of an act-break
>>
Season 1 is the worst classic season simply because they were still finding their way and a lot of the humor doesn't really work. However, it is charming in its own way and still fun to watch (aside from Homer's Odyssey).
>>
>>88411077
Before The Simpsons, The Flintstones was the longest running animated series on TV.
Factor in how they're both primetime sitcoms about nuclear families with brash, bumbling dads who go bowling and work 9-5 at a dead-end job and you're bound to get some comparisons.
>>
Question: why was Marge such an asshole when Lisa became a Buddhist?
>>
>>88376126
Simpsons was never good
>>
I think Season 2 almost gets a bum rap as the weakest classic season.
>>
How on earth is season 2 'underrated' ? All of /co/ sucks the dick of that season. It's not because a few newbies and weirdos don't like it that you can call it underrated.

Season 3 is one of the most underrated classic seasons. I never saw it as a favorite season of someone, and a lot of its episodes are underrated too. By far one of the best, people are weird.
>>
Nah, it's Season 5. The humor is way wackier than any of the other classic seasons and the writing is generally a bit sloppy.
>>
>>88411247
It's the rubber-band reality at work.
Bart lets Maggie get behind of the wheel of a car and only misses out on seeing a movie.
But when he shoplifts, it's treated as a serious issue because it's more grounded, so Marge acts like a mother who was actually genuinely disappointed in her kid.

It's the same reason Homer can survive falling down the gorge twice with no problem, yet he still needs to have a triple bypass operation. The limits of the show's realism depend entirely on the tone of the episode in question.

Frankly, I feel like her reaction was exaggerated just to get across the feeling of your mom being disappointed in you. Because to a kid, that's one of the worst feelings in the world. You have to make sure everyone can identify with Bart for the episode to work, not just the kids watching.
>>
>>88411549
Well, that's because most of the original writers had left and the staff was completely newbies aside from George Meyer and John Swartzwelder.
>>
ok,so here is my list of the worst episode per classic season:
call of the simpsons
principal charming
homer alone
marge in chains
homer goes to college
fear of flying
bart the fink
the simpsons spin-off showcase
>>
Season 1: Homer's Night Out
Season 2: Dancin' Homer
Season 3: Dog Of Death
Season 4: Marge Gets A Job
Season 5: Burns' Heir
Season 6: Homer Vs. Patty And Selma
Season 7: Homerpalooza
Season 8: The Canine Mutiny
>>
1. Homer's Odyssey
2. Bart Gets Hit by a Car
3. Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes?
4. Marge in Chains
5. Marge on the Lam
6. Fear of Flying
7. Bart the Fink
8. The Canine Mutiny
>>
After rewatching a few of these episodes, here is my updated list, not including clip shows or THOH:

Season 1: Call of the Simpsons

Season 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish

Season 3: The Otto Show

Season 4: The Front

Season 5: Homer the Vigilante/Bart Gets an Elephant

Season 6: Lisa on Ice

Season 7: Two Bad Neighbors

Season 8: The Old Man and the Lisa/Homer's Enemy
>>
>>88411676
>Season 2: One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish
What's wrong with this one?
>>
>>88411685
It's not a bad episode or anything, but it is probably the most emotionally manipulative Season 2 episode, the least funny, and most poorly paced. I'll rewatch it, but I just remember it being meh.
>>
Lisa on Ice
>>
>>88411722
Get the fuck out.
>>
>>88411750
No, really. I do think this is one of the weakest Season 1-8 episodes. True, the ending was touching (incest vibes aside) but it required sitting through more jerkass Homer than I had the stomach for. Since when has he been this cruel to Bart and Lisa?
>>
Season 1: Life on the Fast Lane, Homer's Odyssey

Season 2: Old Money, Lisa's Substitute

Season 3: Lisa goes to Washington, Lisa's Pony, Colonel Homer

Season 4: (this is hard, four is one of my favourite seasons) I love Lisa, The Front

Season 5: Bart Gets Famous, Homer Loves Flanders, Bart gets an elephant, Secrets of a Successful marriage

Season 6: Lisa's Rival

Season 7: Summer of 4 ft. 2

Season 8: A Milhouse Divided, The Twisted world of Marge Simpson, The Secret War of Lisa Simpson
>>
Season 2: Old Money, Dancing Homer and I don't hate Homer Vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment but the way Lisa behaves in it is really annoying. Also, Bart's Dog Gets an F is pretty crap.

Season 3: It's hard to say for this season although SLH episodes are usually tiresome so Dog of Death, and it's the only one. It has it's moments though like when Homer imagines himself made out of gold.

Season 4: Again it's very difficult but Selma's Choice never struck me as anything special.

Season 5: There are none at all to speak of. Which is one of the reasons making it the best season.

Season 6: I'm not a huge fan of Two Dozen and One Greyhounds but even that's not too bad.

Season 7: Scenes from the Class Struggle in Springfield has some quite funny observations and parodies of the kind of people Marge wants to be in with, but when looked at as a whole is really quite...meh. Also The Curse of the Flying Hellfish has some more season 5 style funny moments like some of the failed attempts to murder Abe, especially when Smithers has to dress up as Bart, and the flashbacks are funny but is still on the C+, B- Borderline along with "Scenes...".

Season 8: None really stand out as "a bad episode" but the weak ones are probably El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer; it kinda felt as if the episode was made as an excuse to have fun with the animation so the rest of the story (hallucinations aside) just seems like "oh we gotta make a plot"- "Let's do something about soul mates". It just seems a bit rushed. The pretzel one isn't my favorite either, it seems like some middle of the road Zombie Simpsons episode.
>>
Season 1 - Homer's Odyssey
Season 2 - Dancin' Homer
Season 3 - Homer at the Bat
Season 4 - Whacking Day
Season 5 - The Boy Who Knew Too Much
Season 6 - Bart's Girlfriend
Season 7 - Two Bad Neighbors
Season 8 - Hurricane Neddy
>>
Bart's Friend Falls In Love. IDK, it's just not that funny to me.
>>
At what point did Homer go from a typical buffoon to having literal mental retardation?

The episode that decided that "Homer is literally retarded" was the one where a crayon was shown to be lodged in his brain, taken out, then put back again, but he was probably being shown as retarded long before.
>>
>>88376486
>>88385315
Is this a real thing or just a joke about the kind of guy who'd dislike that episode.
>>
I thought Season 4 was a bit weak on the whole mainly because they overdid it a bit with grossout jokes. I kind of understand why they did it since those episodes were produced at the time when Ren & Stimpy was hot, but it just doesn't do anything for me.
>>
>>88411779
https://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/ptm-interview-napoleon-dynamite-producer-mike-scully-talks-lisa-on-ice-his-legendary-hockey-episode-of-the-simpsons/

Interview with Mike Scully in which he talks at length about LOI.
>>
>>88412362
I found it kind of interesting where he talks about the Apple Newton joke and how to be careful about referencing current technology so it doesn't date the episode too badly. This is one of the big problems with Zombie Simpsons, that they just throw in technology stuff to look hip and it serves no purpose to the plot. I guess in the 90s, there wasn't as much tech stuff to reference since not a lot had changed since the 50s; people were still using CRT TVs, landline phones, and only neckbeards had a computer. All the same, King Sized Homer and Das Bus had some pretty funny, satirical technology jokes that seemed believable as well; you could well imagine Homer being totally clueless when dropped in front of a computer, unlike Zombie Simpsons where the characters just randomly whip out their phones or iPods and use them. So Mike Scully explains in there how when they'd include a technology reference in the show, they'd have to think it over carefully to seem funny and not forced.

It's kind of like Napoleon Dynamite, which he produced. The movie feels like a typical 80s teen comedy, although here and there they throw in little bits and pieces of tech and music references so you know it was 2004.
>>
You can't really see Scully's philosophy of tech in the show. I bet every meeting is like...

Al Jean: Hey, check out this cool script we're working on. Lisa gets a Facebook page, only we'll call it...Springface. Pretty hilarious, amirite?
Mike Scully: Wait, that's not...
Al Jean: Newflash, you're not the showrunner anymore.
>>
To be fair, comparing which is the worse showrunner out of Scully and Jean is like choosing whether you'd prefer to be killed by being pushed off the Empire State Building and landing on a 20 ft needle or being shot repeatedly before landing in a pool of piranhas.
>>
>>88412362
That wasn't bad. I do agree that Zombie Simpsons abuses technology jokes in a very bad, forced, unfunny manner and I also agree that it's stupid how everyone in Springfield is a hipster who walks around using the latest tech effortlessly, when the original premise of the show was that it was a town full of blue collar yogurt heads who can barely figure out how to tie their own shoelaces. So it's good that Scully understands how the show is supposed to work, not that that excuses Seasons 10-12.
>>
Lisa on Ice proves if nothing else that Mike Scully was good as a writer under other people's supervision, but he should never have become the showrunner.
>>
In most of the episodes that MS wrote in Seasons 5-8, Homer isn't the main focus of the plot so even when he acts like a dick, it doesn't affect the episode the way it did in, eg, Trash of the Titans.
>>
>>88412612
Well, as Scully explained in the linked interview, LOI was satirizing the stereotypical overbearing Little League parent, and anyone who's ever played peewee sports has encountered one or two of those.
>>
IDK how anyone can think Lisa on Ice is a bad episode.

"Guess what? I just ripped the head off Mister Honey Bunny."

"Bart, Mister Honey Bunny was your cherished childhood toy."

"Yay, we won! We won! Unfortunately, I bet on the other team so we won't be going out for pizza."
>>
Aside from a few funny moments, this episode did nothing for me. The plot was formulaic, predictable, and bland; Homer being a jerkass works in some episodes but in this one, his over-the-top antics were just annoying and unfunny; most of the jokes were sitcommy and fell flat; and the ending was sweet but was the only really memorable part of the episode.
>>
>>88412640
Yeah screw this episode. The whole thing feels like sitcommy garbage to me, including the ending. The only part that stands out is that exchange between Wiggum and Snake.

"I'll let you guys out if you promise to come back."

"Sorry, we can't make that promise."

"I'll take that as a yes."
>>
>>88409131
>Bart v. Australia
Whelp, seems like I can skip this list.
>>
>>88404777
Fucking plebeian.
The Golden Age ended after the first Tracey Ullman short.
>>
File: Wincest!.jpg (26KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
Wincest!.jpg
26KB, 250x188px
>>
>>88407589
George Bush pls go
>>
>>88412811
Homer's phone scam was funny (but that _was_ also a rather typical Mike Scully plot) and better than the main one. I mean, it wasn't bad or anything, but it was totally predictable. Still nice that they did give Nelson some character depth.

Haven't seen this one in a long time though so probably shouldn't comment on it.
>>
>>88411306
Ok, this was another episode written by Mike Scully and one I'm not a fan of. Some of the jokes were killer, but somehow I'm unmoved by the idea of 2nd graders having a romantic life, or just Lisa being in love with Nelson from a conceptual standpoint. I also recall Yeardley Smith as saying she never liked episodes where Lisa goes boy-crazy because it's OOC for somebody her age.
>>
>>88408078
Burns Baby Burns is alright as long as you like Rodney Dangerfield, but I can see how you would consider it bad.
>>
>>88412843
>or just Lisa being in love with Nelson from a conceptual standpoint
Would you like it better if she'd dated, like, Database or something?
>>
>>88408236
>A Star Is Burns: Offensive and weird
Can you please explain to me why you consider it to be either of those things? Have you watched The Critic?
>>
>>88412860
I somehow don't think Lisa would date Database, but I'll let that go.
>>
So your issue is not with the fact that he was a bully, but because...why?
>>
>>88412919
Already explained above. She's 8, dude. I agree completely with Yeardley Smith that romance plots involving grade schoolers belong in the trash.
>>
This is an episode that could use a little touching up. There weren't as many jokes as I'd like, and Lisa liking Nelson just... because? Ooo-kay.
>>
Cute and funny. I liked seeing Lisa act like a regular (i.e. confused and a little misguided) girl. Not my favorite episode of the season though.
>>
I have a hard time finding fault with LDWD. Unlike some of you, I have nothing against the LisaxNelson pairing on principle; Lisa is never compromised as a character or ends up imitating Nelson, she remains her normal self throughout. The subplot was funny and some of the secondary characters were great as well, Skinner, the bullies, Milhouse, even Chief Wiggum.

The two main flaws with this are the rushed ending and the kiss scene which felt kinda forced and awkward.
>>
Frankly I think it's cute. It's one of my favorites and I've watched it a hundred times. The Homer subplot got old after a while but how can I say no to Lisa & Nelson?

Plus I think some of the lines are funny. 'Nobody likes Milhouse,' 'you kissed a girl', that long conversation between Ned and Maude, etc.

This was one of the best episodes in which Lisa had a crush on someone.

Lisa & Nelson's chemistry was so genuine to me and you can see that in some of the later episodes they put in little details that make it clear they still like each other. (ex: "God, if you don't bring back my Lisa safe, ants will burn tonight." from The Great Simpsina)

I wish they made another episode like this one.

Milhouse can just be with someone else.
>>
>>88411167
Good lord, you're probably the dumbest person in this thread.
>>
File: f99c.jpg (33KB, 400x219px) Image search: [Google]
f99c.jpg
33KB, 400x219px
>>88413111
>Milhouse can just be with someone else

You knew it was a match made in Heaven.
>>
>>88413040
Give me some examples of episodes where Lisa acts...how shall we say...dumber than usual (this is always fun).
>>
>>88413216
Drinking the dirty water in Selma's Choice? IDK.
>>
>>88413216
The entirety of Bart Carny.
>>
>>88413111
>Milhouse can just be with someone else.
Milhouse gets a slight edge, cause I feel bad for him crushing on her for years.
>>
>>88376394
>Thrillho
>The imaginary Brodka putting out his cigarette in the seatbelt clip
>"Hey, I don't remember sayin' that!"
Marge Be Not Proud is a great episode
>>
>>88376394
>Marge Be Not Proud.

Oh christ, yeah. Awful. Just a Very Special Episode. Might as well have had Homer learning an important lesson about not writing off a handy-capable co-worker, then banging her stupid in a hotel while she wears Marge's dress.

>>88376126
Depends what you're asking. Season 3 is filled with shitty episode ideas - from Mr Lisa Goes to Washington (8 year old brings down a US senator in a single weekend, with help from a plucky ghost, unfunny musical joke is repeated) to The Otto Show , Radio Bart, and Flaming Moe's (gratuitous, fawning celebrity cameos), the just plain wacky and zany antics of those darn 'ol yeller Simpsons (Pink Shirt Prison Now, Bart the Murderer, Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes? etc).

It's far from the weakest season but it does certainly set out how season 30 was going to look.
>>
>>88413231
I AM THE LIZARD QUEEN
>>
EPISODE 4.22 "KRUSTY GETS KANCELLED"

KRUSTY MEETS THE RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
KRUSTY MEETS BETTE MIDLER
IT'S FULL OF FUCKING CELEBRITY CAMEOS

FUCKING JOHNNY CARSON AND HUGH HEFNER GET FAWNED OVER LIKE THEY'RE LADY GAGA AND MICHAEL COCKSUCKING JACKSON

HOMER IS A MORON FOR NO REASON

GRANDPA IS SENILE BUT NOT FUNNY BECAUSE APPARENTLY THEY WERE SHORT ON JOKES THAT DAY

GABBO IS LITERALLY ONE JOKE REPEATED OVER AND OVER UNTIL YOU IMAGINE REMEMBERING THAT IT WAS FUNNY THE FIRST TIME

BUT LET'S NOT FORGET SEASON FOUR WAS FUCK FULL OF ELDERLY CELEBRITIES APPEARING AS THEMSELVES FOR NO REASON

FOR THE REAL MOMENT OF TRUTH WE MUST GO BACK FURTHER

BACK TO SEASON THREE AND 3.22 "THE OTTO SHOW" WHICH IS JUST AN 11 MINUTE AD FOR THE VHS OF "THIS IS SPINAL TAP" AND "BREAK LIKE THE WIND" THE ALBUM THAT THE MEMBERS OF FICTIONAL GROUP SPINAL TAP WERE TRYING TO SELL AT THE TIME THE EPISODE AIRED, INCLUDING HARRY "THE SIMPSONS REALLY WENT DOWNHILL WITH ALL THESE CROSSOVERS AND CELEBRITY CAMEOS" SHEARER WHO PLAYS DEREK SMALLS, A MEMBER OF SPINAL TAP

THE REST OF THE RUNNING TIME IS MADE UP OF FILLER SCENES AND UNFUNNY JOKES THAT ATTEMPT TO CALL BACK TO SPINAL TAP AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE

BUT WAIT

EPISODE 3.17 FEATURES NUMEROUS PRO ATHLETES AS THEMSELVES MAKING TOPICAL REFERENCES

EPISODE 3.13 FEATURES STING AS HIS UNFUNNY LEMON-EATING SELF IN A STORY THAT HINGES ON YOU HAVING SEEN FUCKING LIVE AID FIVE YEARS EARLIER

EPISODE 3.10 FEATURES NOTED DADROCKERS AEROSMITH FOR NO REASON FORESHADOWING THE APPEARANCE OF NOTED DADROCKERS THE RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS LATER IN THE SEASON

EPISODE 3.02 HAS LISA GOING TO WASHINGTON AND BRINGING DOWN A CORRUPT SENATOR IN A SINGLE WEEKEND

EPISODE 3.01 HAS MICHAEL "TOTES NOT ME U GUIS" JACKSON IN AN EPISODE THAT WAS TOTES NOT ADVERTISED AS FEATURING HUGE STAR MICHAEL JACKSON TOTES TOTES IT IS HIM THO TOTES SHHHH

HOMER IS SO STUPID AND SO IS EVERYONE ELSE THAT HE GOES TO A MENTAL ASYLUM FOR WEARING A SHIRT

WEARING A SHIRT EVERYBODY HOW HILARIOUS
>>
>>88413553
>from Mr Lisa Goes to Washington (8 year old brings down a US senator in a single weekend, with help from a plucky ghost, unfunny musical joke is repeated)

Protip: It was a satire of how TV shows have to wrap up a story in 30 minutes.
>>
>>88387184
>But Homer fighting the heavyweight world champion because he beat homeless bums?

Don King's done shittier things than getting a family man killed.

It's why he wouldn't take part in the episode. He found out they were cutting too close to his actual character, not the persona he's spent decades playing.
>>
>>88414046
>EPISODE 3.10 FEATURES NOTED DADROCKERS AEROSMITH FOR NO REASON FORESHADOWING THE APPEARANCE OF NOTED DADROCKERS THE RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS LATER IN THE SEASON

Uh, you do know that those bands weren't dadrock in 1992.
>>
>>88414081
Protip: you can't satirize something by slavishly imitating it.
>>
>>88414122
>It's why he wouldn't take part in the episode. He found out they were cutting too close to his actual character, not the persona he's spent decades playing

"I admire you, Homer. Your manager obviously loves you very very much. Lucius, would you do the same for me?"

"Of course I would...now get in the van."
>>
>>88414046
haha holy fuck i think i wrote this originally

stand by it 100%
>>
>>88414122
To quote Mike Tyson, "I always thought Don was my friend, like my black brother and stuff, but he was really just like a giant spider sucking the blood out of me."
>>
Harry Shearer and Julie Kavner both whined about Homer at the Bat for having too many celebrity cameos, and then they refused to participate in Krusty Gets Kancelled at all, which is why none of their characters have any speaking parts in that episode.
>>
>>88414215
Wait a second, you don't mean the same Harry Shearer who made them do an entire episode plugging his shitty Spinal Tap VHS.
>>
>>88409788
I agree. I'm the odd man out on /co/ in that I don't hate On A Clear Day I Can't See My Sister and never understood why people blow their lid when that episode is mentioned.
>>
I love Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming, one of my personal top 10 but it seems a lot of people don't like it.
>>
>>88380150

Go fuck yourself entirely. That episode is amazing.

>You can call em Whitey Whackers
>>
If we include the 4Fxx holdovers in Season 9, then Lisa the Simpson is a really bad episode that breaks all manner of continuity.
>>
>>88409613
Season 5 is pretty damn wacky, especially the first half. Season 6 is drier and the episodes a lot more controlled for the most part.
>>
Homerpalooza
I love 90s alt rock and it's still really lame. Definitely plays a lot like a later episode
>>
They asked Pearl Jam to appear on that episode and they wouldn't do it, apparently Eddie Vedder is incapable of laughing at himself.
>>
The clip shows are all awful except the 138th Episode Spectacular, which is somehow great
>>
>>88410780
>14. Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy

You're a madman.
>>
>>88414576
Bob Dylan wouldn't do it either. Your point?
>>
>>88380150
>here's the only good part of the episode.
This episode had a number of good bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMB-XiewSKw
>>
>>88378181
Shave off those sideburns and stop being such a faggot.
>>
>>88414308
On a Clear Day gets a bum rap. It didn't do nearly as much irreparable harm to the show as that Asian baby episode.
>>
A lot of Season 2 is very dire and unfunny.
>>
The Christmas Special in Season 1. Just a little too SMC tier.
>>
>>88410513
I dunno, I just thought it was too much of a stretch from reality in comparision to the other episodes of that time. I can't compare it to That 90's Show since we're only discussing golden age Simpsons here but of course Deep Space Homer is still ok compared to that.
>>
>>88414608
>If you guessed Dr. Marvin Monroe and Bleeding Gums Murphy, you're wrong! They were never popular.
>>
>All these retards who complain about plot elements "ruining the show"
Bad plots like Skinner being an imposter aren't enough to ruin a show like the Simpsons. The real reason this show went down hill was because of a lack of actual funny new episodes. Occasional stupid plots wouldn't matter if the show was still funny. Alas, past the season 9 or so mark the number of funny episodes per season grows less and less.
>>
>>88416982
You really see no problem with the show shitting on its own continuity like that?
>>
You guys are honest to goodness no life freaks man. You all know the exact title of every episode and have seen hundreds upon hundreds of the over and over and always constantly bicker about minutiae and shit to the point where 20 different episodes can fall under the "beginning of the end" category.

God... Just... Fuck you all. I pray this is just a subset of Simpsonfag zealots and not /co/ as a whole.
>>
>>88418726
try looking up the old usenet communities and posts the simpsons referenced in the 90's, they make us look like fools in comparison
>>
>>88418726
>fans shouldn't be knowledgeable about a show they enjoy

ok casual
>>
>>88418274
Not that anon, but the show was actively shitting on its continuity all the time. Whether for a joke or for putting things into a larger context. It was usually ignored because it was funny or because enough stuff around it was funny.

Like Chief Wiggum suddenly having a son. The Ralph-looking kid in earlier episodes is a completely different character with a completely different dad. But it was okay because the results proved to be funny.
>>
>>88392031
MY GLASSES
>>
>>88404577
What's Whacking Day?
>>
>>88412762
pobody's nerfect
>>
>>88391147
It was around that time the writers started getting overinflated opinions of themselves and their resentment of criticism on message boards was starting to boil over into jabs on the actual show.
The Poochy episode is way more blatant about it.
>>
File: 1466309252684.png (413KB, 500x568px) Image search: [Google]
1466309252684.png
413KB, 500x568px
>tfw wondering if i should skip the worst episodes listed ITT
are they THAT bad?
>>
I never got the poochie episode
was the joke that Roy would have been the perfect voice for him?
>>
>>88414422
y'all have low standards
a couple good jokes don't make an episode great, it makes it adequate
>>
>>88422942
no

"worst of the golden age" is still golden age
>>
>>88411561
>Frankly, I feel like her reaction was exaggerated just to get across the feeling of your mom being disappointed in you. Because to a kid, that's one of the worst feelings in the world.

Probably why it's my least favorite episode. I just can't watch it without feeling like shit.
>>
>>88391961
This show was so aesthetic
>>
>>88423260
Roy was to The Simpsons what Poochie was to Itchy and Scratchy
>>
>>88423742
Can't believe this still has to be explained to people 20 years later.
Thread posts: 344
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.