[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you finally "get" Superman?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 246
Thread images: 48

When did you finally "get" Superman?
>>
>>88374444
When I realized that most humans are shit and we really need a good meaning space alien to show us the way.
>>
Honestly? When I watched Man of Steel and started trying to figure out what bugged me about it.
>>
>>88374485
This. I remember watching the animated series as a kid but that doesn't mean anything, and after that I just ignored him as silly until my dad wanted to go see Man of Steel because of nostalgia and then we both felt very lukewarm about it.
Then I got my hands on Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and I understood a little more.
>>
When Superbro experienced sensations on a human level for the first time.
>>
>>88374444
A storytime of Up, Up, and Away!
>>
File: check.jpg (28KB, 700x520px) Image search: [Google]
check.jpg
28KB, 700x520px
>>88374444
>"get"
>quads
>four 4s
I think I finally understand Superman
>>
>>88374444
Superman For All Seasons
>>
>>88374580
You'll believe a man can dubs.
>>
>>88374667
>off by one
Better luck next time, Satan.
>>
when I read Red Son, probably. I had read All Star Superman before it but the character didn't really click for me until Red Son.
>>
Does Superman believe in God?
>>
>>88374758
he does in man of steel

I think I remember some reference to god in Birthright?
>>
>>88374634
This, but also Kurt buseik knows how to write Superman really well
Secret identity is so good!
>>
Not yet
>>
>>88374444
there's nothing to get in your corporate mascot pushed as "something more"
>>
>>88374821
are you reading tomasi's superman? it's tits baby
>>
>>88374758
He would like for their to be one, but he has lost his belief.
>>
There is no pattern in getting Superman

Each one have a way of getting Superman, what he should do, what should he believe, there isn't a definitive version or take, you can only make your own version and try to live your life as you think Superman would act or not.

Each version and each reboot exists to show that even Superman isnt static to a point where all should "get" what Superman is about, this is why the character is way more complex than Batman, he is a lots of things, he is an orphan, he is a farm boy, he is an alien, he is a boy scout, he is a savior, but in reality I think he is a deformed mirror, of what you think he should be, that will always be right, that is when you "get" Superman.
>>
>>88374758
he's met the Spectre and Zauriel, so I assume he believes in God empirically
>>
File: supes.gif (983KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
supes.gif
983KB, 500x333px
>>88374843
You just don't get it.
>>
>>88374875
>this is why the character is way more complex than Batman

wtf, I love Superman now
>>
>>88374875
Batman is a lot of things as well, I'd says he adapts even more to other versions than Superman. Both characters are equally complex to me, that's why they're both my favorites.
>>
File: feels super man.jpg (71KB, 564x410px) Image search: [Google]
feels super man.jpg
71KB, 564x410px
>>88374875
>>
>>88374976
They're like Robin Hood or King Arthur or Hamlet. There are countless interpretations and takes.
>>
>>88374843
Vyndtvyx go and stay go.

Nona.
>>
>>88374485
Man of Steel, First Avenger and Ant-man made for me characters from "meh, whatever here's Batman Spider-Man" to my favourites, established (in case with MoS reestablished) those characters. That's why I like those three movies more than any other modern superhero movies. First Class and Amazing Spider-Man come close, but they are more "a fresh new take" because everybody fucking loves Spider-Man and X-Men already (except modern sjw murlel).

I like that in comics today we have different versions of character even in one universe after Rebirth.
>>
>>88375840
I also must add that Superman was my favorite superhero, I liked him more than Batman (I guess one reasons because Batman in movies was clumsy while Superman in movies and TV series moved freely, more "real"). Than when I first saw image of Spider-Man I fell in love, until Raimi trilogy ended, I am more into Batman, than I start reading comics and then FA, and then MoS came out.
>>
People who like Superman are the best kind of people. I have not met a single person who both liked Supes and was a jackass
>>
>>88376116
Really? Because my brother is both of those things. Believe it or not, there are a LOT of meatheaded douchebag dudebros who "love" Superman so much they get S tattoos and jewelry, but when you ask them why they like the character just say "Cuz he's the biggest and the strongest, nobody fucks with him!"
>>
>>88376698
I thought those dudes liked Batman
>>
>>88374444
After reading For All Seasons.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQabrSpKcJw

Say what you will, but this changed everything for me.
>>
Watched Superman: The Animated Series.
Jor-El's dedication to save his world followed by his selfless desire to save his only son, the destruction of Krypton, Clarks initial struggle with his newfound identity as it's Last Son, and his dry and mildly snarky wit while still remaining fairly polite all enthralled me as a kid.

The scene where Krypton dies is punctuated with such an epic soundtrack as you are shown in full detail what was lost really hit me as a kid.
>>
>>88376116
You need to lurk more then.
>>
>>88374738
Same.
>>
File: disappoint-superman.jpg (100KB, 600x462px) Image search: [Google]
disappoint-superman.jpg
100KB, 600x462px
>>88374444
Somewhat this >>88374485
and in general seing all the dark twisted superhero stories around today. It can be fun occasionally. But after reading injustice i just got sick of the apparent need to constantly shit on/pull down the nice guy superman. The only story in injustice that i really really liked was the one, with the guy who remembers how superman helped him with his bike when he was a kid.
I want that superman
>>
When I read that one comic with him finding out Shazam was just a kid. And watching Man of Steel made me think about him more
>>
>>88374537
that's awesome! Where is it from?
>>
>>88374444
Not even kidding, Man of Steel is when I started to give a shit about the character. Up until that point he was a dull blue boy scout
>>
>>88377689
fuck off, we're full
>>
>>88374444
All-Star #10
>>
>>88374444
Elliot S! Maggin's "Double or Nothing Life." arc. I've got an old soul.
>>
>>88374444
When I payed attention.
>>
>>88374444
When I needed something less popular to attach to myself to feel better than others
>>
>>88374485
This.
>>
>>88376116
I like Superman and I'm a jackass.
>>
When you're young you love Superman, he's the best superhero ever. He has a cool costume and all the best powers.

When you become an edgy teenager you hate Superman because he's lame, overpowered and boring. You now like edgy heroes like Batman or self-inserts like Spider-Man.

When you finally grow up and become ad adult you love Superman again. You realize that in this shit world full of evil people doing evil things all you really want is for someone to help us all. You realize that him not having a tragic backstory but choosing to be a hero simply because it's the right thing to do is actually really deep.

He's the best.
>>
>>88376116

You wouldn't believe the amount of negativity coming from Superman fans in MoS threads. But I guess that's mostly because of the anonymity of this Cambodian imageboard
>>
>>88374444

I either always did or still haven't.

But I view him as a man who is so super that even though he possesses boundless power, he is not tempted to abuse it.
>>
>>88374524
>Then I got my hands on Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and I understood a little more.
I know exactly what you mean. You don't feel as much of a connection until someone tries to annihilate the character. Good thing Superman is stronger than Alan Moore.
>>
>>88374444
I still don't
>>
>>88374444
In your pic.

Also All Star
>>
Never did, he's a shit tier mascot who's completely irrelevant in the modern world and will be long forgotten after all the boomers who read his comics as kids are dead.
>>
File: 13651873923_9d8ce1fba8_o.jpg (368KB, 1245x1920px) Image search: [Google]
13651873923_9d8ce1fba8_o.jpg
368KB, 1245x1920px
here
>>
>>88378539
This guy gets it.

As an adult, Superman is great because you know how hard it is to be good and how valuable it is when someone does something kind.
That's Superman's true strength. Kindness. A warm smile and a can-do attitude.
>>
>>88379214
all superheroes are kind and do good things
>>
Watching the Superman vs. the Elite cartoon movie.
>>
>>88378539
you're right. In that respect he is like a dad
>>
>>88374444
When I realised Superman's best stories are when he's written not as an indestructible god who can throws punches at alien invaders but when he tries to to talk someone out of killing themselves.
It's like how the best Batman stories are when Batman is more focussed on seeing the good in people no matter how heinous their cries are rather than dangling gangbangers over the sides of buildings and shouting at them.
>>
>>88379249
Not really.
Is Batman kind?
>>
Someone post the pages from that Hitman comic where he and Supes sit on a roof and chat.
>>
>>88379249
Complete bullshit, so many Superheroes are assholes. Even Spider-Man has a dickish persona. Superman archetypes are kind and nice.
>>
>>88379343
can you guys only bring up Batman because it's the only way any of your arguments have a leg to stand on?

>>88379385
still Superman doesn't have a monopoly on being kind despite what you zealots try to proclaim
>>
>>88374444
When I watched the Fleischer shorts as a kid.
>>
>>88378626
That's because to those sorts of Superman fans, the kind that find the whimsy and joy of the Reeve films to be beautiful, it's painful to see others enjoy a version of the character so different from the one they value. There's also a fear that a Man of Steel style Superman will be the default version of the character if it became popular enough.
>>
File: red son.png (170KB, 456x798px) Image search: [Google]
red son.png
170KB, 456x798px
This moment.

Superman is the promise of all "better ways'', from Christianity to the American way to communism. He's inalienable.

You don't need to be scared or hungry anymore.
>>
>>88380006
Red Son is truly great
>>
>>88379171
Why is this so well-drawn? I know nothing of fine art style but this is very aesthetically appealing.
>>
>>88380775
Look up Alex Ross newbie.
>>
File: captain marvel kingdom come.jpg (151KB, 454x700px) Image search: [Google]
captain marvel kingdom come.jpg
151KB, 454x700px
>>88380775
Alex Ross

He bases his drawings of people in actual spandex
>>
>>88379427
As expected, better to ignore reality than to get down from their pedestal.
>>
>>88378539
Until I discovered I didn't have it, I was going to post the picture of /tg/ explaining in similar terms why Paladin is the best class.
>>
>>88380775
Alex Ross was trained to paint Illuminations for churches. Religious scenes and the like.
>>
>>88381105
That really explains so much
He's a fucking treasure
>>
File: -015.jpg (257KB, 1000x769px) Image search: [Google]
-015.jpg
257KB, 1000x769px
>>88374444

When I started reading Landis Superman (Adventures/American Alien). He really gets the character and gave me a new appreciation. American Alien is probably the best comic written in the past 20 years.

I also love how he writes Batman like the gigantic piece of shit asshole he should be, something other writers are too afraid to do.
>>
>>88381342
go away, Max
>>
>>88381342
The best trolls mix truth and bullshit
You've done it well

Batman is an asshole and a piece of shit
But Landis is Landis and only understands on a surface level
>>
I have to say mine was "What's so funny about truth Justice, and the American Way?"

I know people riff on it for not giving an actual answer to Black, but I saw it more as a testament to Supe's character than his philosophy. It was pretty much the same as Cap Am's "No, You move" speech. you just trust Supe's instinct.
>>
>>88374485
I was in the same boat. I grew up watching the cartoons and I thought he was cool, but it never really clicked. The movie made me wonder why it didn't feel right. I ended up looking up lists for best of Superman stories to see what he was exactly. He's now my favorite.
>>
>>88376116
I tend to (mildly) take liking Superman as a good sign in people, and disliking him as a bad one, but it's really not that unusual to find people who like him, or superheroes in general for their moral qualities, but remain total assholes
>>
>>88381473
What bugs me about that comic is that there's a simple answer to Black's philosophy
It's "How do you know who the bad guy is?"

Superman's feigned retaliation is how you show that, but it should have been explicit
If you don't know how to qualify who the bad guy is, anyone could be, even you.
>>
How do you "get" a character that is so drastically different for each writer? Do you get the original Jewish intent for the super man? Do you get the modern version of Superman? Do you get Morrison's specific version of Superconcept?

Donald Duck is more of a consistent character you can 'get' than whatever Superman is.
>>
File: Lawful Good.png (205KB, 1418x721px) Image search: [Google]
Lawful Good.png
205KB, 1418x721px
>>88381063
Not Paladins just Lawful Good in general, is this what you were thinking of?
>>
>>88381646
Morrison gets it
There's a Platonic ideal for Superman
Do you get that?
>>
>>88381648
More people would realize #3 if they just read Plato/Socrates
>>
File: 1480974339385.jpg (677KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1480974339385.jpg
677KB, 1440x1080px
I guess I've always got Superman. He's just a good guy.

An actually good guy, the kind of Man we should all strive to be.
>>
>>88374444
I read All-Star Superman the second time.
>>
>>88381648
>LG is the best alignment
Close but no cigar CG is the best alignment.
>>
>>88381837
>get a load of this guy
>he hasn't reached step 3 yet
>>
when i read mein kampf
>>
>>88381648
>depending on his personal beliefs of lawful good

that's defeating the point
>>
I don't think Superman's as deep as people make him out to be. He's just a guy that wants to do the right thing, and has the power to do so.
>>
>>88379171
But that scene deep down comes from this one.
>>
why can't you people like Superman, Batman, Spider-Man etc. all together

it always feels like a competition
>>
>>88382468
Think he's just saying Lawful Good isn't a single set of beliefs but a balance of Law and Good, how far you tilt between them when keeping the balance is up to the person. Sparing a criminal (Good) versus executing them (Law) that sort of thing.
>>
File: Armageddon has arrived.jpg (32KB, 526x176px) Image search: [Google]
Armageddon has arrived.jpg
32KB, 526x176px
>>88380863
This'll never get old.
>>
>>88382599
I do like Superman and Batman and Spider-Man all together, I do like Superman more but that's my own preference. Like when Batman vs Superman was coming out, I didn't want them to beat each other, all I wanted them was to be friends and shake hands.
>>
>>88382638
I kinda regret posting the original leading to the original creation of this meme.
>>
When I read how Grant Morrison thought about him in Supergods I think I understood him on a deeper level than I did originally.

It took a long time for me to break the idea of Superman as a flying version of Captain America.
>>
>>88374444
>tfw you went from hating superman for being boring like most normies, to growing to appreciate him, then eventually coming full circle back to realizing he's really nothing special

Once you get over the special snowflake contrarianism that comes with appreciating a character that is considered "lame" by the mainstream, you come to realize that he really is kind of boring.

He's not a "bad character" like normies say, but he's not necessarily a good one either. There's not too much depth there outside of Jesus allegories and being a symbol of hope.
>>
>>88383103
I don't know what's going on in your life if you can't appreciate someone who puts his hand on your shoulder and says "Everything's going to be alright" and means it
>>
>>88382921
Nigger it's a famous page from a famous comic it was gonna happen either way
>>
>>88381648
Step 3 doesn't work in Shadowrun, and this is why Shadowrun is for adults and D&D is for kiddos.
>>
>>88383103
>Implying Superman is actually disliked by the mainstream
>Implying you aren't the contrarian who thinks he has some "enlightened" viewpoint
Cringeworthy
>>
>>88381412
fuck you josh
>>
File: Superman_v.1_125.jpg (64KB, 400x577px) Image search: [Google]
Superman_v.1_125.jpg
64KB, 400x577px
There are plenty of comics I could use but I'll use the one thats most familiar with everyone

This is when i "Got" superman
>>
File: Superman's Tombstone.jpg (256KB, 451x700px) Image search: [Google]
Superman's Tombstone.jpg
256KB, 451x700px
>>88374444

It was at the start of this year shortly before Batman v Superman came out, I think it was while reading or watching an interview with Grant Morrison.

I realised that the greatness of Superman is all summed up in his name: he's both Super and a man, but he's also Superman. There's such very human things about Clark, but he's also very much not human.

It's also why I really didn't like Max Landis' interpretation of Superman in American Alien. Max seems to maybe get Clark, but totally doesn't get Superman.

Also, Superman since Rebirth has been amazing and it's the first time I've been buying Superman comics on the reg.
>>
>>88374444
I hate to admit it, but Death of Superman and again when I read All Star Superman.
>>
>>88378539
>You realize that him not having a tragic backstory

Nigga his whole planet died and he's the last of his species. That's a pretty fucking tragic backstory.

Which is also the point of the character. His creation was meant to reflect the experience of immigrants leaving their homes because of war/oppression and looking for a better future. Superman is that better future, but the better future doesn't need to happen without tragedy.
>>
>>88374843
This, supes is a relic of a past era that had good runs and needs to end. He's already reached Santa levels of commodification and any hope of another good run is dead.
>>
>>88379343

Look at how Batman is when he deals with children you fucking autist.

Batman isn't perma brooding.
>>
>>88374875
Yeah it's cool and all but there IS a core element that reboots and shit will not move.

There will be modernizations for each era, and diferente "interpretations" and stuff, but there IS something to get about Superman.

They are ultimately different ways to say what Superman IS about, there IS such a thing as getting Superman wrong.
>>
>>88384031
You're thinking of that Ross page

9/10 though, Bruce is a total cunt
>>
>>88384022
Paktion was pretty good
>>
>>88383819
>ASS
>Hate to admit it
Don't, it's objectively the best Supes story and if you don't get it with that one, you'll never do.
>>
>>88384269
I'd imagine Death of Superman is the one he hates to admit
>>
>>88384425
Rightly so, because Death of Superman is shit

The only good thing to come out of it is that Crash Test Dummies song
>>
>>88383968
At least in modern incarnations though, he doesn't learn that until he's 18 or so. He has a pretty normal childhood, slowly develops powers then he learns about Krypton. Krypton being destroyed wasn't a formative experience for Superman as Batman's parents being killed. Superman learned of it as an adult, at least on the very cusp of adulthood, he thinks about it and is sad for what might have, could have been, but it's in a more detached way. Compared to Batman's very personal experience.
>>
>>88374444
Red son and American alien
>>
File: Batman 423-2.jpg (448KB, 1041x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Batman 423-2.jpg
448KB, 1041x1600px
>>88384069
>>
How did you felt when Supes didnt save Jimmy Olsen /co/?
I was quite disappointed.
>>
>>88384773
>bat-shaped building in the background

what did Snyder mean by this
>>
>>88384773
How did you feel when Supes let a bomb go off then just sat there like "Wow, someone tried to bomb ME"
>>
>>88384826
Well, in the extended cut, wich i illegaly torrented, he sticks around for a bit to help survivors for a bit.
But also mad.
>>
All Star Superman and Birthright.
>>
>>88374444
I watched STAS as a kid and it never clicked. I watched Justice League and didn't have a strong opinion for Supes either way (even though MANY people consider him a douche), and then I read Joe Casey's run on Adventures of Superman and I feel in love with the super strong alien that tries his hardest to solve all his problems (even those multiversal in scope) without having to throw a punch.

Weirdly, I then revisited Justice League and actually loved Newbern's portrayal as an evolved version of Daly having many of his close friends betraying him while still acting like Superman as best he can. I actually consider DCAU Supes to be one of the most "human" versions because of how flawed he is. Man of Steel wasn't awful but it was weird seeing a Superman movie with the tone it did.
>>
File: 1479440607575.jpg (98KB, 500x420px) Image search: [Google]
1479440607575.jpg
98KB, 500x420px
>>88383103
But youre the snowflake anon
>>
>>88378539
Yep this was exactly my path. Went from kid with Superman footy pj's to shitty teen who hated him for being lame. Ironically it was Hitman and Tommy Monaghan that brought me back around to big blue. I picked up Hitman thinking it was edgy and seeing him make a joke about serious characters like Batman, but then he wrote Supes and god damn did that not set me on a path. Hitman will always have a special place in my heart.
>>
>>88383773
But Superman in Rebirth has been pretty sub par
>>
>>88381710
>platonic ideal
no you don't 'get' it when you say "well, I get it because he conforms to what I think he should be"

Any Snyderfag could use that argument
>>
Warden: This country is safe again, Superman, thanks to you.
Superman: No, sir. Don’t thank me, Warden. We’re all part of the same team. Good night.
>>
>>88374444
I first took him more seriously when I read All Star. I really became a fan after reading For All Seasons, and have continued reading his new series.
>>
>"Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down."
Grant Morrison
>>
>>88383773
Max's regarding Clark video is really fucking good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw_GlYve_Lg
>>
File: lois-and-clark.jpg (541KB, 1632x2000px) Image search: [Google]
lois-and-clark.jpg
541KB, 1632x2000px
I grew up with Lois & Clark, so I feel like I've always "gotten" Superman. For me, it's a love story at heart - everything else comes from that, because Superman is a huge romantic at heart who despite having both all the power and all the adoration in the.world, falls head over heels for his abrasive writing partner.

II'm also a naive fuckboi writer who grew up on a farm so I guess I related to him.
>>
when i believed a man could fly
>>
I think BvS is unintentionally meta in how people keep Superman from being Superman because of their own cynism. Thats when I truly found him.
>>
>>88376779
Those kinds of people don't know about the whole "Batgod" and "Preptime" memes. They just believe Superman's the strongest so he's the best. Same kind of people that think Goku is the best character ever because he's so strong and nothing else, while being unable to name any other character in the franchise.
>>
File: martha please.png (751KB, 823x401px) Image search: [Google]
martha please.png
751KB, 823x401px
>>88382529
>That's the one thing we've always had in common
Not the only thing.

>>88383731
What is it?
>>
>>88377575
>that one comic with him finding out Shazam was just a kid

Is that the one where he gives the wizard a lot of shit for putting that kind of burden on a child?
>>
When I read All Star. Even though he's dying, Clark does his best to leave the world a better place before he kicks it.
>>88374738
Red Son isn't just a great Elseworlds, it's a great Superman story. Except for the ending.
>>
>>88379427
>still Superman doesn't have a monopoly on being kind despite what you zealots try to proclaim
I mean, I don't think anyone was proclaiming that; they were just describing his personality and its appeal. You can like Superman AND other heroes, y'know?
>>
>>88387885
>ending is literally Superman inspiring humanity to rise to the levels of Krypton without his direct interference
>not the best possible ending to a Superman story that looks that far into the future
>>
>>88384022
> he hasn't read comics since before the New 52
>>
>>88383968
Shit, the "Man of Tomorrow" nickname finally makes sense.
>>
>>88387910
That part's great. It's Earth evolving so far that it becomes Krypton and the Earth explodes, but they send a baby back in time to when the sun is still yellow and he lands in the Soviet Union and becomes Superman. Too weird for my tastes, it's an odd choice and kind of an unneeded plot twist to a story that was already over.
>>
>>88386827
This is part of why I like Supes. He may be an alien with all these fantastical powers. But he still truly thinks of himself as one of us deep down. We're all part of the same team.
>>
redpill me on superman, lads
>>
>>88374485
Second
>>
>>88387989
that's just Grant Morrison's ghost writing leaking
>>
>>88374444
There's nothing to "get" about Superman or any other character from comics aimed at children
>>
File: the three of us.jpg (147KB, 600x687px) Image search: [Google]
the three of us.jpg
147KB, 600x687px
>>88388024
He is someone who wants to help others and just happens to have more abilities than the average person to accomplish this.
>>
>>88388075
why not?
>>
>Love the Fleischer shorts, S:TAS and even that meh filmation version as a kid
>in my preteens find a Best of Superman collection that had silver age and "Whatever Happened"
it always clicked I guess. I was stoked when Allstar was announced.
>>
File: Honor and Hubris.jpg (190KB, 519x1598px) Image search: [Google]
Honor and Hubris.jpg
190KB, 519x1598px
>>88388024
Here's a link to a collection of Superman stories I keep around, most everything is pretty one and done except DC One Million, don't start on that. These aren't ALL the best Superman stories, but they're the one commonly thrown around when people ask for recommendations.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/y8sy2269pvgzy/Superman

Along with some pages that I feel show what Superman is about.
>>
File: I'd Rather Die.jpg (919KB, 1280x1997px) Image search: [Google]
I'd Rather Die.jpg
919KB, 1280x1997px
>>88388024
>>
File: It matters to me.jpg (2KB, 125x46px) Image search: [Google]
It matters to me.jpg
2KB, 125x46px
>>88388024
2/7
>>
>>88376116
I'm a jackass most of the time, but every now and then, I stop because I realize Supes would be disappointed in me because he knows I can be better.
>>
>>88388024
>>
File: It's About Action.jpg (643KB, 1200x953px) Image search: [Google]
It's About Action.jpg
643KB, 1200x953px
>>88388024
3/7
>>
>>88388024
4/7
>>
>>88388214
>>88388230
stupid hivemind
>>
File: Superman - No powers.jpg (102KB, 772x681px) Image search: [Google]
Superman - No powers.jpg
102KB, 772x681px
>>88388024
5/7
>>
>>88378783
You're making it sound like Alan Moore didn't love and Superman a whole lot. Also
>Superman breaks down so completely after taking a life he quits
See this shit right here Snyder?
>>
File: Superman at Midnight.jpg (766KB, 1200x1847px) Image search: [Google]
Superman at Midnight.jpg
766KB, 1200x1847px
>>88388024
6/7

>>88388240
It really is one of the better s
>>
>>88388155
Because they're not mature or intelligent characters. You should try reading Spawn.
>>
>>88388251
What is the context for this one?
>>
File: You can do anything you want.jpg (933KB, 1920x1476px) Image search: [Google]
You can do anything you want.jpg
933KB, 1920x1476px
>>88388024
7/7
>>
File: hubba bubba dubba.jpg (100KB, 477x640px) Image search: [Google]
hubba bubba dubba.jpg
100KB, 477x640px
>>88388275
almost got me anon
>>
>>88388281
Starro did a thing and I think this is like the dream world that the JLA are trapped in?
>>
>>88376851
>Claims to live in a world of cardboard
>Gets his ass beat nearly every other fight
Yea, no.
>>
>>88388024
the superman ideal is a rejection of the idea that absolute power corrupts absolutely. a man with godlike powers remains humble and honest and philanthropic. he represents the hope that no matter what power we gain in life, as a boss or as a millionaire or even just as a parent, we can show the same strength of character and still worry about what's good for others rather than becoming cynical and caring only for what's good for ourselves
>>
>>88381128
Alex Ross is one of the best gifts to comics we have, and I'll be very sad when he passes. His background in art pairs so well with the symbolism in comics, and the time it takes for him to do comics in it is 99% of the time worth it. I've yet to see a bad comic with his art, but it probably exists somewhere.
>>
>>88388442
he's good for paintings, but he's way to static to be good for comics
>>
>>88388465
Yeah, he doesn't have crazy dynamic scenes, but I think he plays into his strengths well.
>>
>>88385566
Filthy top hat
Stubble
Sack on a stick

Still wearing the outfit.
>>
>>88385566
Superman & Destruction wandering the universe when?
>>
>>88383103
Stop trying to outrun everyone else's opinions in order to get ahead of the curve

that way lies madness
>>
>>88387617
Superman gained the ability to make tiny clones of himself
>>
File: beam me up.gif (2MB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
beam me up.gif
2MB, 325x244px
>>88388715
>>
I thought Birthright got Superman pretty damn well even if it had some Smallville shoehorned into it. I always hoped Man of Steel would have used it, if just for the ending. I am a complete fucking sucker for shit like that.
>>
>>88388255
1) it's Silver Age Superman who literally never kills anyone
2) other versions of Superman have killed before
3) Superman didn't even kill him. Mxyzptlk committed suicide by trying to teleport while being transferred to the phantom zone.
4) Superman wouldn't quit even if he was forced to kill someone because that would be retarded.

Alan Moore didn't write Superman correctly in this story.
>>
>>88388024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7n3-Ea3BW8
>>
>>88388924
I know what I like, and I like what Moore did. Sorry Zack.
>>
>>88388924
you've got the sequence of events wrong, Mxyxpltk tried to teleport away but Superman activated the Phantom Zone projector to stop him

so yeah, totally killed him
>>
>>88388102
goddamn I love this panel so much
>>
Golden Age Superman is such a dick though
>>
>>88389078
only if you're an asshole capitalist
>>
>>88389136
My favorite one is when he leads asshole mine owners into their mine and traps them for fun.
>>
>>88374444
When Lex explained him to me.
>>
>>88374444
The first time I read one of his comix. God help you single-helix genetic failures if someone handed you some Tolstoy.
>>
File: 636.png (83KB, 300x249px) Image search: [Google]
636.png
83KB, 300x249px
>>>88389993
>pretending to be smart on the anonymous weeaboo imageboard known as 4chins.org
>>
>>88374537
Wait, didn't he grew up without powers acquiring them during his teenage years as he seeped in that yellow sun juice ? Shouldn't he know most of these sensations, even if he just remembers them hazily ?
>>
fucking commie
>>
>>88377553

One of his few redeeming moments in Injustice.
>>
File: otp.jpg (213KB, 793x699px) Image search: [Google]
otp.jpg
213KB, 793x699px
>>88387380
this is a cute post

and it's true, even in that very first issue clark only has eyes for lois. and he just loves people, too.
>>
>>88388287

>Kick his shiny metal butt!

Tell me this was post Bender?
>>
File: crayonman.jpg (1MB, 2539x1734px) Image search: [Google]
crayonman.jpg
1MB, 2539x1734px
>>88381105
I never knew that, that is cool
>>
File: 1481561728613-co.jpg (606KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1481561728613-co.jpg
606KB, 707x1000px
>>88382529
I like Vader's neck on Batman suit.
>>
>>88374444

Kingdom Come when he snapped and went after the UN only to stop himself, apologize and try to make amends.
>>
>>88374843
>>88384022

Lads...
>>
File: 14807763605111.jpg (185KB, 1200x963px) Image search: [Google]
14807763605111.jpg
185KB, 1200x963px
>>88384773
Despite saving ~20 people in MoS, people bitched that he only cared about Lois, so they probably decided not to add another "constantly protected by Superman" character.

>>88384826
>>
>>88374444
Half an hour ago. Also, checked.
>>
All I know is that whenever I'm in morally ambiguous situations, I stopped thinking what Jesus would do and started thinking what Superman would do.
>>
>>88374485
>Snyder tries to make movie about broody dark Superman because happy Superman isn't cool or interesting
>Ends up pushing people into love for hopeful, optimistic, heroic Superman
BRAVO
>>
>>88390763
Despite darkness compared to previous cinematic adaptations there was still hope and optimism in MoS, anon.
>>
File: Supes becomes a faggot.jpg (375KB, 925x1388px) Image search: [Google]
Supes becomes a faggot.jpg
375KB, 925x1388px
>>
>>88390813
>Bob Harras
Please god tell me that wasn't an actual quote.
>>
>>88390763
With a competent writer, some more drafts and maybe a 2nd opinion MoS had the blueprint to be amazing(BvS too), but Snyder is a notorious diva who can't stand criticism. Hopefully with Affleck and what's his name coming in to help pen shit things'll be better, WW looks half way decent.
>>
>>88390763
>normalfag
>went into MoS optimistic despite hating 300, Sucker Punch and Watchmen
>leave the cinema in complete disbelief but couldn't quite place what was wrong with the film
>stumble upon a Max fucking Landis video of all things which sums up the problems perfectly
>the whole experience made me realize I don't know enough about the characters
>begin to buy comics from LCS

Despite being a hack, Zack Snyder did get me into comics
>>
>>88384773
How did you feel that when you didn't even know that guy was Jimmy Olsen until Snyder told you he was and was like "LOL we killed Jimmy Olsen"?
>>
>>88390825
You could google it but I really doubt it.
>>
Truth is that Superman is less of a hero than others.
Other people do everything in their power to be heroes, Superman intentionally shuts out people because he has to spend family time or other selfish things.

Which I guess is why people like him so much, he is virtue signaling the hero. It helps them show they are better while doing the minimum necessary to be considered a nice person.
>>
>>88374485

This, mostly. I realized that MoS was a story of Clark Kent taking his first steps into learning how to be Superman and was essentially an origin story.

Once I got this, not only did I start appreciating MoS and BvS a lot more, but I also read All-Star Superman for the first time, and really began realizing what was so great about him.
>>
>>88388202
ANTS
>>
File: 1228049168477.jpg (153KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1228049168477.jpg
153KB, 640x480px
>>
File: superman-fags.png (907KB, 1060x530px) Image search: [Google]
superman-fags.png
907KB, 1060x530px
well, this movie sure did help me to get superman-fags, atleast the most obnoxious ones.
>>
>>88374444
When I dropped out of my edgy emo teen phase
>>
>>88388024
Superman is the man you thought your dad was when you were five years old.
>>
>>88374444

Superman animated series when I was a kid.
>>
>>88377620
I think it's from when he used his "starburst" thing.
He releases all his energy for a single attack (a new power they gave him), he regenerates it accordingly with sunlight exposure but until then he's basically human in all respects.
>>
>>88390845
>WW looks halfway decent
it really does not
>>
File: 1479714243973.jpg (3MB, 3975x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1479714243973.jpg
3MB, 3975x3056px
>>88377620
>>88394467
It was during the post-Convergence event when he was being really depowered because of a meteor and some Vandal Savage fuckery. He's not quite human, but he's weaker than even his Golden Age incarnation, to where bullets can bruise him.

He got his powers back eventually.

And then he got super-cancer and died.
>>
File: Superman.png (1MB, 1890x1460px) Image search: [Google]
Superman.png
1MB, 1890x1460px
>>
>>88394770
Wasn't Golden Age near Silver Age's strength at some point?
>>
>>88391018
Tfw still mad when the interview came out and then watched the extended version.
Its like, it set the tone for my entire experience watching the teathrical cut the first time.
>>
>>88394837
Sure, you're right.

I meant more in the sense of stuff like early wartime comics and the Fleischer cartoons where he's vulnerable to things like explosives and still has a need to eat and breath.
>>
>>88378539

Dude, yes, this is it 100%
>>
>>88374485
This too. He was so boring in the movie that I went back to a few comics and the Fleischer shorts and I understood that he is THE superhero.
>>
>>88374444
When he let his asshole adoptive father let himself get killed.
>>
>>88390747
>Despite saving

Kissing in the rubble while everyone is crawling on their hands and knees really left a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths.

>>88391721
>Superman
>Not doing everything in his power to be a hero

Explain.

>Intentionally shuts out people

He likes having a private self. The secret identity thing is part of the super-immigrant metaphor. He has a side that is simply himself that belongs only to himself. That doesn't mean he's greedy or anything.
>>
Don't get him. Never have. As a character he is vanilla
>>
File: beac205e3a5fb21a2be691779c27b8cb.jpg (372KB, 1366x568px) Image search: [Google]
beac205e3a5fb21a2be691779c27b8cb.jpg
372KB, 1366x568px
After Man of Steel and BvS
>>
File: wp_ss_20161123_0002.png (528KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20161123_0002.png
528KB, 1080x1920px
>>88379171
So I wasn't the only one. I ended up buying the last comic to Kingdom Come out of a bargain bin at my LCS cause the art at the front look immaculate. After reading I was fiending for the rest of it. Luckily in found a cheap copy at one of the comic book conventions that come to my town. It was this book that made me realize Superman's humanity.

It was his humanity that made him what he was. It's his idea of humanity that made me like him. And ever since then he's been my favorite hero, and I defend his character whenever someone shits on him for being OP, just OP.

Current lock screen.
>>
>>88397386
>"Don't worry Ma'am, I'm just gonna set you down just a few feet outside this burning wreckage and not fly you and everybody else to a hospital, you know how it is, I've got to go and have a conversation about hero cake with my ghost dad in the artic."
>>
>>88397595
He's a bit of psycho.
>>
File: 1481503815448-tv.jpg (7KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
1481503815448-tv.jpg
7KB, 250x241px
>>88397595
>it's anon reaching episode
>>
File: 1481487457399-tv.gif (2MB, 268x250px) Image search: [Google]
1481487457399-tv.gif
2MB, 268x250px
>>88397595
>ma'am
Anon is rude today.
>>
>>88374859

Incorrect
>>
>>88387703
Yeah, that's the one. Seeing Superman pissed and angry at Billy having this burden of being a hero thrust upon him by this magic asshole. Made me think about Superman as more than that big boy scout cutout he's often portrayed as
>>
>>88397595
>being this desperate to hate everything about DCEU Superman
>>
>>88397937
Explain
>>
>>88397419
For me Kingdom Come was a Superman comic. In some ways Super vs Man, and what make it great was that Man was more important than Super.
>>
>>88376116
I do kinda feel like becoming a fan of Superman made me a better person. It at least has played a role in it.
>>
>>88389176
Or when he forces an arms dealer to fight in the war he was profiting off of.

Or kidnaps and drugs a football player so he can impersonate him on the field.

So many dick moments to choose from...
Thread posts: 246
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.