[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IP Crash

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1472145076875.jpg (1MB, 3965x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1472145076875.jpg
1MB, 3965x2560px
A wealthy billionaire buys DC Comics, and in a surprise move, on his deathbed, simply buries ALL of their IP in perpetuity.

There is no more Batman, no more Superman, its all gone. You have to start over.

What do you do?
>>
Sell the name(s) to Marvel and go home. I'm too old for this shit.
>>
what the fuck is that picture
>>
Wait with baited breath for Marvel's next trainwreck
>>
Insert all of my weird fetishes as new superhero franchises
>>
What's to be done? Without the characters DC Comics doesn't really have anything other than being the brand that used to have the biggest characters ever. So all they can do is what every other comic company that isn't the Big Two does, make comics.
>>
>>88338619
>someone comes in and destroys all your work and you can't use any of it ever again
Gee I don't know probably go bankrupt.
>>
>>88338619
>You have to start over.

So why i even bought DC is the first place? I could have used the money to start my own comic publisher
>>
You still have all the artists, all the assets, all the personnel and marketing apparatus.

Your just going to piss that all away because you can't think of original idea to steal?
>>
>>88338619
eh it can't be done indefinitely, it'd all eventually fall into the Public Domain(and without being used the Trademarks would eventually lapse as well)
>>
>>88339214
A big chunk of the company is the iconic IP and aren't most artists freelance any ways? I'm just saying it's about as good as owning Image or Dark Horse. There's no real plan of action other than follow suit with them since the modern basis of your company has essentially been razed. Do whatever you want but you'll only be DC in name from now on.
>>
>>88338619
get ready for the adventures of SuperBat and ManMan
>>
I'd fill the void in the market by trying to sell webcomics to normies.

And by webcomics I mean all the unprofessional bullshit mainstays like Sluggy Freelance.
>>
>>88338619

First off, DC is not a publicly traded company. It's part of a much larger conglomerate (that's in the process of being bought by a larger conglomerate). Even if, for your arguments sake, they would agree to either spin off or just sell DC Comics, they may choose, for example, to retain the right to exploit the IP for films, for action figures, etc. You would better make the argument if you said, let's say the new owners of Time Warner decided to stop publishing DC Comics, and to stop using their intellectual property in ANY way. No more Batman tees, no more Superman tattoos, no more Lego mini-figs, no more Warner Animation cartoons or movies, etc.. etc.

Even then, you cannot "bury" intellectual property. If the new ownership of Time Warner did not leave or sell the IP (in your example, to anyone - heirs, stockholders, etc.), it would fall into public domain.

And then ANYONE could sell lunch boxes with art showing SUPERMAN BUTT FUCKING BATMAN and ANYONE could make animated films of WONDER WOMAN acting as a BONDAGE MISTRESS on the entire JUSTICE LEAGUE, etc. etc.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.