[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you guys think of Rankin Bass?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

File: santa-claus-is-coming-to-town.jpg (524KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
santa-claus-is-coming-to-town.jpg
524KB, 1000x700px
What do you guys think of Rankin Bass?
>>
Whats left to say? The Christmas specials are timeless (except that one about the blind kid), Thundercats was great, and since then they turned to shit.
>>
>>88326989
I do forget about a lot of their 2D animation. They did the hobbit right?
>>
>>88326956
The ambush scenes in Little Drummer Boy. Jesus those were dark, even by today's standards.
>>
>>88327177

Yeah, I forgot that one.
>>
>>88327177
And Last Unicorn.
>>
File: Omaddon.gif (1001KB, 440x330px) Image search: [Google]
Omaddon.gif
1001KB, 440x330px
>>88327177
Oh and Flight of dragons.
>>
most of their stuff was animated by japanese studios, so they're fine by me
>>
Remember when they made the King and I movie?
>>
>>88326956
Outstanding. They don't make them like this anymore.
>>
Picked up some of those Christmas special DVD sets last week and watched some of their more obscure productions for the first time.

Leprechaun's Christmas was an interesting one.
>>
>>88327498
Do I even want to know the context?
>>
>>88327645

David Bowie has bloodshot eyes and just saw something that scared him.

Obviously.
>>
File: king of the forest.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
king of the forest.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>88326956
The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus was always my favorite, but I remember ABC Family airing it once and then never again. I suspect because of its pagan nature compared to the other tales.
>>
>>88327498
BUT IT WAS ME, DIO!
>>
>>88326956
That one is my favorite.
>>88327682
FOR THE CHILDREN!
>>
>>88327682
Funny that this one was based on a story Frank Baum/AKA the Wizard of Oz guy wrote. All things considered it was pretty epic for me as a child.
>>
>>88327645
>>88327677
The villain of Leprechaun's Christmas Gold is a banshee that demands gold for Christmas (Because banshees apparently need gold every Christmas or else they dissolve into tears) and shapeshifts to gain sympathy points (though their teary eyes are a dead giveaway to what they really are). The Leprechauns managed to seal her away with a pine tree years ago, but a cabin boy from a passing ship is sent to the island to pick up a Christmas tree for his captain and ends up unleashing her.

When the Leprechaun gold ends up in the cabin boy's custody, the banshee tries passing herself off as some QT shipwrecked girl in order to try and properly gold-dig off of him. She pulls an "Ursula reveals her true form" when he ends up essentially proposing.
>>
>>88327177
>>88327222
>We live in a world where a made for TV Rankin/Bass cartoon did Smaug's boast better than the big budget Peter Jackson movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or8G_jDcLNo
>>
>>88327993
Yeah, by a God damned LANDSLIDE
>>
>>88327993
That's one of the little things that pissed me off about that whole extended Smaug sequence. Padding it out with high-fantasy Tom and Jerry chases and drenching Smaug in Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is one thing, but trimming and altering the boast was unforgivable.
>>
>>88326956

Year without a Santa just because of the Mizer brothers

One I would love to see again and I've only seen like once is the life and adventures of Santa Claus
>>
I just wish I could catch all of them on TV in a year.
>>
>>88329100
>>88327814
>>88327682
I have a copy lying around, I'll upload it to MEGA in a little bit(maybe I'll upload the other adaptation of it as well)
>>
>>88327993

Ho, Daddy!
>>
>>88326956
Utter shit.
>>
>>88327682
That shit was like a fever dream to me, what the fuck even was that.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWjt6LGhHsI
>>
File: donner, wtf?.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
donner, wtf?.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
best Santa coming through

>tfw one of your best reindeer fathers a mutant freak
>>
>>88329308

Thx anon

We need to spread that special around
>>
>>88327462
I remember my mom took my sister and I to see it, and at the time I loved the movie but now I feel bad about it since it was such a shitshow.
>>
The actual shows/movies are just okay but I love their artstyle. Both cartoon (Lord of the Rings has a great look) and their stop motion carry it well.
>>
I'm a little disappointed they didn't make more Halloween specials besides Mad Monster Party when they already had established a shared universe with Christmas characters.
>>
I'M MISTER WHITE CHRISTMAS
I'M MISTER SNOW
I'M MISTER ICYCLE
I'M MISTER TEN BELOW
>>
>>88327814
I can never get over the part where Baum seriously thinks that reindeer are not real.
>>
File: 1478020967394.jpg (184KB, 596x397px) Image search: [Google]
1478020967394.jpg
184KB, 596x397px
I think someone should draw Hermey as a sissy elf trap stat
>>
>>88327462
I remember watching it on CN ages ago. I remember vaguely liking it, but it was so long ago I honestly couldn't tell you if it was actually good or if it was just my liking of musicals.
>>
>>88329649
>>88329308
quick status update, MEGA wasn't working too well, so I'm going to try for Mediafire, and if that doesn't work I'll try Google Drive
>>
>>88332110
You do it
Even if its not good.
>>
>>88334700
yet another status update, my upload rate is unfortunately a lot lower than what my download speed is(like on any of the sites I tried, I couldn't get an upload rate higher than 100 kbs), so I unfortunately can't fulfill my promise
>>
File: burgermeister meisterburger.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
burgermeister meisterburger.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
/our guy/
>>
>>88335113

That sucks senpai

Thx for trying though
>>
I didn't grow up on the Ranken Bass specials. I never saw any of the stop-motion specials until I was in college. They're weird but fine at best.

I don't feel strongly about them.
>>
File: 888878.jpg (426KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
888878.jpg
426KB, 1024x768px
>>88326956
I love them because they have my husbando Jack Frost in the greatest form blessed upon this Earth.
And my side-bitch Hermey>>88332110
>>
>>88328146
I feel like Peter Jackson really didn't *get* LotR and The Hobbit. They're larger-than-life mythical stories of gods and monsters and heroes. But he tried to make everything too grounded and relatable (and comical in The Hobbit's case). I'm still pissed about him ruining the Eowyn and Witch King scene. Rankin Bass managed to do it better, even with their Witch King sounding like Skeletor.
>>
>>88336479

I don't think that PJ didn't get LotR as much as he understood that story needed to be grounded in reality in order to work on film. "Larger-than-life mythical stories of gods and monsters and heroes" doesn't really work in film the way it can in books or comics. Aragorn is a one dimensional plank of perfect purity and white untouched light in the books. That works in the books because he's intended to be everything good about humans. Trying to translate that into a visual live action film would just make a bland boring white bread character. Characters need to be characters, it's pretty fucking hard to making a walking representation of an abstract idea in a film. Particularly if that representation needs to have an arc and action scenes and the audience is supposed to root for them.
>>
>>88335787

I'm trying to remember the last time I saw the jack frost special
>>
Is there a timeline for the Rankin Bass specials?
>>
File: 595988.jpg (215KB, 601x1097px) Image search: [Google]
595988.jpg
215KB, 601x1097px
>>88332110
Draw it or it may never exist how you want it to.
>>88337276
Well it was more of a Groundhog's Day special than Christmas.
And in general even as a kid i mad me angry.
>>
>>88336479
How did he ruin Eowyn and the Witch King?
>>
I think that the Christmas specials are too much
>>
All of their holiday specials are awesome. For the longest time they were the only ones I cared about catching for the holidays.

I think Jack Frost, and Year Without a Santa Claus are my favorites. While Nester the Long Eared Donkey and Little Drummer Boy being my least favorite.
>>
>>88338244
>While Nester the Long Eared Donkey and Little Drummer Boy being my least favorite
yeah those are probably the worst RB Christmas Specials, still well made, but overall they're just a mixture of boring and/or unpleasant to watch compared to the others
>>
>>88329568

Ah, but the "Christmas in July" movie explained that Rudolph wasn't born that way.
>>
>>88336479
Talk shit about the Hobbit trilogy all you want, but keep LotR out of this.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.