[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this series any good? It seems like an interesting concept.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10

File: Superior_Spider-Man_Version_1.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Superior_Spider-Man_Version_1.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
Is this series any good? It seems like an interesting concept.
>>
>>88296213
>pic is ASM #700
Amazing Spider-Man vol. 1?
It's had its ups and downs, but it was breddy good over all. Worth reading, definitely.
>>
It was fun just because of how audacious it was.
>>
>claws on feet
Weird design.
>>
>>88296257
I meant superior spider-man, sorry for the confusion
>>
Yes, it was a lot of fun. Change of pace, some real stakes.
>>
>>88296430
I know what you meant, I was just having fun. Superior Spider is poop, read Superior Iron Man.
>>
>>88296213
yeah it was pretty good
>>
>>88296213
I've only read the first volume, but the idea of it is fun enough to make me really like it, like it could be complete garbage and i'd still love the concept and read it
>>
File: SHOCKEERRRRR.png (557KB, 1022x584px) Image search: [Google]
SHOCKEERRRRR.png
557KB, 1022x584px
>>88296213
Its a pretty fun change of pace.

/co/ fucking hated it at the time because "hurr muh Peter" even though they knew that by the very nature of comics the series would end with Peters return.

Its not stellar by any means, not an absolute must read, but a pretty enjoyable one.

Basicaly you get Doc Ock in Peters body genuinely trying (and sometimes slightly failing) to be a hero, but going about it the way a super villain would.
>>
>>88296734
Iron man? More like Pie-urn man! Amirite or amirite? Up top!
>>
>>88297765
Kek.
But Superior Iron Man is the superior 'Superior'
>>
>>88297720
This.
Long live the Superior Spider-Man!
>>
It was fun for a while but about midway through it get kind of repetitive and loses it's charm.

Also if you like Spidey's supporting cast you're probably not going to like it.
>>
>>88296213
Sadly, an interesting concept is all it is. It's a poor man's Kraven's Last Hunt that went on for far too long. Hero is "killed," villain takes his mantle as a means of proving himself, villain ultimately fails because he saw being a hero as more of a challenge than a duty, hero triumphantly returns and affirms what it means to be a hero.

There's almost no character development until the last 3 issues or so, the supporting cast regularly has to take stupid pills for it to make any sense, and the novelty starts wears off quickly enough for it to long overstay its welcome. It would have been far better suited for an 8-12 issue mini.

If you're interested regardless, read basically any of the other Superior tie-in books, like Superior Team-Up. Most other writers manage to deliver on Slott's premise in a more satisfying manner.
>>
>>88297916
Superior team up is the most underrated comic I've read in recent years.
>>
>>88297789
It goes

>Superior Foes
>Superior Iron Man
>Superior Spider-Man
>Bendis' Inferior Iron Man
>>
>>88297981
*Superior foes
>>
>>88296213
nah it's terrible.
Superior?
fucking garbage.

If you want to see the concept executed well, read Avenging spider-man and the successor series to that
>>
>>88297981
Superior Team-Up and Avenging both had BASED YOST on writing duties which is why they were great
>>
>>88296213
Superior Spider-man Team Up and the Spider-man Team-Up books where Ock takes over are good. There's a few interesting scenes in the main series, but it isn't used to its full potential and unfortunately is bogged down by the Green Goblin background bullshit.
>>
>It seems like an interesting concept.

That's pretty much all it was. The idea itself was pretty nasty. But it fell into the realm of things that could have stood on its own as a genius work under the right writer. Dan Slott couldn't deliver.

It has some moments here and there, but I don't think it's worth reading at this point.
>>
File: ONe and only.png (3MB, 1843x1017px) Image search: [Google]
ONe and only.png
3MB, 1843x1017px
>>88298061
Slot is a cracking ideas man, comes up with some great concepts. Every now and then he'll deliver a fantastic page or panel or quote

He needs a co writer who can help him stick the landing though. To keep him on track.
>>
>>88298107
the excerpt you posted?
Gage wrote that.
>>
>>88297720
>Its a pretty fun change of pace.

It was at first, but I think when it hit the later half it got terrible. I mean I was willing to excuse characters being too dumb to tell that Peter was acting off, but I think after Black Cat went evil it turned to shit fast. And the ending was stupid as fuck. On the other hand this overall was still better than his Spider-Man stuff after Superior. Spider-Verse was Countdown-tier.
>>
>>88297916
I can't remember the source of even if it was legit, but I once read that it was supposed to just be a story arc in ASM until Wacker convinced the editors that Slott had what it took to make it last up until the release of the new film.
>>
>>88296257
IIRC, this is actually from Avenging Spider-Man, some time before they turned it into Superior Spider-Man Team-Up.
>>
>>88298006
What makes the 5 Spencerfags on this board so insecure?

>>88298145
Probably in support of the claim that
>he needs a co-writer
Stay mad, faggot.
>>
>>88296213
Yes, it works good in trade format. Weekly issues didn't flow so well and it kept going for quite a while.
>>
>>88298657
?i just just pointing out Gage wrote that page to further his point.
the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>88296213
It's an interesting concept done fairly well that gets a bit too much hate on /co/ in my opinion. Some of the characters are made artificially stupid, but overall I think it's a fun change of pace that ends with a bit of pretty good character development for Ock.

Everything after that is irredeemable garbage with no saving grace, especially since the aforementioned development gets retconned.
>>
>>88297720
As someone who hated it when it first came out, looking back, I can see why some people liked it, and that it's a neat concept, but I still dislike it, because the only reason it worked in the first place was because Slott had to make the entire supporting cast just so stupid.
>>
>>88296430
It varies, but it's decent enough. It's kind of the start of Slott getting unbearably bad, but there's some great moments in there, and the ending is perfect.
You just have to overlook the fact that everyone is an idiot to not see what's wrong with SpOck.
>>
>>88297997
Where does Superior Captain America fall on that list?
>>
>>88297720
Truth be told, I didn't get too into comics until around the time Peter got his body back.

I probably became more willing to start reading the Superior phase when I knew exactly how long it would be before Parker came back. Otherwise, it was hard pretty to get into it with Spidey being a jerk and all.
>>
>>88296213
It's great and anyone that tells you otherwise is an eternally butthurt Peterfag.
>>
>>88297720

That annual where Blackout went after Aunt May and Doc Ock responded by chaining up Blackout in a Garage and started pulling out his teeth and nails with a pair of pliars.

Superior Spider-Man is Superior
>>
>>88299952
>>88300019
It's actually not great, and anyone that tells you it is, is an underaged edgelord
>>
>>88297720
The buildup to it was great, the beginning was decent, but it just got worse and worse. Ock went full moustache twirling psycho about halfway through while everyone just sits on their thumbs.
>>
>>88300456
>the build-up

Man it's such a downer. Ends of the Earth would've been a HUGELY popular and beloved Spidey comic for the ages, but that ending just burned way to many fucking people.
>>
File: Ends of the Earth.jpg (321KB, 1600x795px) Image search: [Google]
Ends of the Earth.jpg
321KB, 1600x795px
>>88300483
At least it had GOAT covers I guess....

SHOCKER! GET BACK HERE! I'LL CHASE YOU TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH!
>>
>>88297720
The only thing I really hated was what happened to Black Cat. I mean knocking her shit was hilarious, and made sense since Ock lacked the relationship Peter had with her, but now she's stuck being an evil psycho even after Superior's passed.
>>
>>88296213
Hydra Cap has done it better, Superior Spider-Man depends too heavily on everyone else acting like a retard around him, not noticing the signs that something's up.
>>
File: asm700.jpg (342KB, 1161x846px) Image search: [Google]
asm700.jpg
342KB, 1161x846px
>>88300559
>At least it had GOAT covers I guess....
>dat final issue
>>
>>88300597
HydraCap is still shit because it requires everyone acting like a retard around him, not noticing the signs that something's up.
>>
>>88300634
Nah, Steve so far has hidden his changes pretty well.
>>
>>88297720
It was hammy and every other character in the marvel universe became fucking retarded to let it just keep on going.
>>
>>88300672
Because they're all offscreened because Spencer is a hack.

Honestly, how did he spirit Zemo away under all that surveillance?

If Fury was still around and Hydrated, I'd buy all the bullshit contrivances, but Steve doesn't have the network.
>>
>>88300559
>Chameleon
D'you think Dimitri still loves Peter?
>>
File: 1354311331.jpg (167KB, 688x1044px) Image search: [Google]
1354311331.jpg
167KB, 688x1044px
Superior Spider-Man was full of great ideas, but held back with Slott-level (i.e. awful) execution.

Those suits, though.
>>
>>88296213

Avenging and Superior Team Up were better. SSM just made Spock into some keikaku master while everyone else was horribly written. And the ending pissed everyone off, even Spock fans.
>>
>>88296213
It was the only time Spider-Man was actually compelling since OMD.

Butthurt anons will tell you it was terrible, but it was actually a fun, well-paced run that wasn't beholden to any status quo.

The ending really does suck, though.
>>
Anyone else find it funny how Spock was written better by almost everyone that got his hands on him apart from Slott?
>>
>>88302175

Well Slott sucks but even the nobodies did a better job. That mini with the O5 was actually good.
>>
>>88300019
Man I loved that issue.
>>
>>88302211
I liked how he was written in that Inhumanity tie in where he met an inhuman girl that became living electricity.
>>
>>88302175
That goes for almost every idea Slott has ever come up with.
>>
>>88302175
Anons parrot this opinion quite a lot but I disagree. Otto is actually one of the very few characters Slott writes very well.

It's corny and over the top, but it works.

Which isn't to say that the other writers writing Superior Spider-Man in their books did a bad job, but I never noticed this supposed quality gap everyone preached. (I suspect it's because Yost was on the other Superior book, and at the time Scarlet Spider was the hip underselling book to back on /co/, so anons couldn't bring themselves to shit on Yost while bitching about Otto)
>>
>>88302237
It was an Infinity tie-in, but yeah, I think that was my favorite Superior Spider-Man story.

Love how he managed to turn stealing Peter's life into an inspirational speech for the Inhuman girl.
>>
File: 1366161648986.jpg (1MB, 1850x721px) Image search: [Google]
1366161648986.jpg
1MB, 1850x721px
>>88302211
>>88302247
Slott is great ideas guy.

I would not be mad in the slightest if they decided that Spider-Man was going to be plotted by committee. Plotted, not written.

Slott is unironically the first guy I'd put on said committee because he has top notch concepts, just poor writing and execution
>>
>>88302679

Yost was so under appreciated for his work. He fucked up New Warriors.
>>
>>88296213
It's trash.

Reminder that because of this Felicia hates Peter now and she's become a saturday morning cartoon villain.

I will never forgive Slott for this garbage
>>
File: 5575259-2b.jpg (588KB, 1279x1318px) Image search: [Google]
5575259-2b.jpg
588KB, 1279x1318px
>>88298107
>Slot is a cracking ideas man, comes up with some great concepts.

Like Ben Reilly being the Jackal.
>>
>>88303237
Being good at concepts doesn't mean they are all good.
>>
>>88303192
that's the best page in the whole series though
>>
>>88300569
and returning JJJ to hating Spiderman
>>
>>88303192
I hate how Sandman no longer believe in Spiderman,so as the rest of the rogue.
>>
>>88296710
What stakes? We all knew peter would get his body back
>>
File: 08.jpg (754KB, 1073x1650px) Image search: [Google]
08.jpg
754KB, 1073x1650px
>>88297720
I like how every teamup has somebody pointing out that Spidey's sense of humor seems to have taken a turn for the worse.
>>
I mean the concept was fine.But everyone kept talking up how awesome it was then when I actually read it found it kind of boring.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.