[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did he mean by this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_4210.png (280KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4210.png
280KB, 500x394px
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>88291069
Assuming that's supposed to be young Cyclops from the 60's:

>In 1973, DuPont engineer Nathaniel Wyeth patented polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles, the first plastic bottle to be able to withstand the pressure of carbonated liquids.[9] Today, PET plastic has replaced glass as the preferred material for single-serving bottled water containers due to its light weight and resistance to breaking

And the first X-men comic was published in 1963. So it'd mke sense for Scott not know what's bottled water.
>>
>>88291131
>makes sense
Not really but that's only if we apply logic to this. None of the writers did.
>>
>>88291131
there is a huge flaw in this thought because of the sliding timescale
Scott would have been born in the 80s at the latest now. If born in 1980 he is 35 now.
>>
>>Bendos
>>
>>88291222
Yep. Now he became X-Man in nineties.
Even if Bendis had pretty picture with Tempus in those annuals, with her seeing formation of Fantastic Four in sixties (our time).
>>
>>88291131
fun fact thought bottled water existed all the way back in the 1930s
They just used glass.
Hell NYC had giant green gallon water jugs. I have a few my granddad saved when he was a boy.
So no it's fucking stupid and what happens when a writer just assumes shit without research.
>>
This mess is why I hate comics being in our world.
You don't get this level of stupid shit if everything is fictional
>>
Bendis doesn't seem to understand how the sliding timescale works.

He writes it as though everything genuinely started in the 1960s and 50 years just happened to get squashed into 15 or so years in universe
>>
>>88291222
DESU I never took the sliding timescale seriously. It put too much thought into something that never needed much thought.

In my head I can accept Cyclops was a teenager in the 60s and he and the rest of the MU age when the writers want them to.The One Piece author actually did this because I remember him doing a letter column years ago and stating his characters turn the same age every year until he decides otherwise.
>>
File: 5fe4edaec653.jpg (11KB, 410x410px) Image search: [Google]
5fe4edaec653.jpg
11KB, 410x410px
>>88291069
Unless the X-men were formed when California wasn't a state this shouldn't shock him. He should be more freak out with automated lights in the coolers, live security cameras every, and cordless cell phones. Hell Scott should be asking her why everyone has magic tablets like hers.
>>
>>88291277
But you just proved Bendis did do his research. Cyclops was referring to plastic water bottles was he not?
>>
>>88291346
>turn the same age every year
That's great
>>
>>88291346
>It put too much thought into something that never needed much thought.
Normally I would agree but when you have real world events constantly bleeding into comics it makes it hard to ignore the stupid of it all.
That said I'm more with the other anons that noted Scott shouldn't be this surprised by bottle water.
>>
>>88291382
Read the fucking page, you imbecilic sycophant.
>>
>>88291341
Franklin Richards was a mistaake
>>
>>88291382
no he just seems weirded out they are in bottles which again, shouldn't bother him to this degree.
>>
>>88291341
to be fair, sliding time scales are stupid.
>>
>>88291317
Stupid shit?
>>
>>88291222
I fucking hate the sliding timescale so goddamn much.
>>
>>88291346
Sliding timescale doesn't require too much thought unless they do some dumb shit like this.
It's easy to accept it if you're not forced to look directly into it.So you don't pull stupid shit like a guy from only 15 or 20 years ago acting like he's from the 60s.
One Piece also has no issue since they can move at the pace they like, they're not pretending that it's our modern world they're a totally fictional Pirate world.
>>
>>88291480
Not anon but:
This is a 1934 green glass water bottle that would be refrigerated cold. These were common as fuck. The writer trying to be whimsy is implying bottle water is a newer thing then that. It's not.
If this world was all fictional it wouldn't be a big issue but with in entrenched in our world the writer just made him self look like an out of touch tool.
>>
X-Men under Claremont was great when characters aged one year every 12 months like a regular fucking person.

Not sure why the house of ideas insisted on putting an end to that.
>>
>>88291567
> the writer just made him self look like an out of touch tool.
So the reader base then?
>>
>>88291618
Because it'd eventually lead to either the characters being completely phased out, get too off mark on what the more iconic appearance is, or they have to find excuses to deage them every ten years. Cool for the story bad for their marketing.
>>88291567
>Brian "Every city in the UK is the same city" Bendis looked out of touch
You don't know what you're talking about,
>>
>>88291551
>It's easy to accept it if you're not forced to look directly into it.
This. You want Scott to freak out about future stuff focus on technology that has radically changed in the last 20 years, that gives the win/win that you show he is out of time without the headache this created by implying his current self is at least 63 years old.
>>
>>88291440
I did. From what I'm resding around the Internet, plastic bottled water as we know it didn't become mainstream until the 70s. It's likely Scott has seen bottled water on that scale before because bottled glass water would have been costly to mass produce.
>>
>>88291713
>bad for their marketing.
Tell that to Magneto and Nick Fury.
>>
>>88291735
I don't get what you're implying.
>>
>>88291713
I hate the current model. Fucking Moore was right. The big 2 are stagnant as fuck and it shows.
>>
File: 45621162567247.jpg (77KB, 1544x800px) Image search: [Google]
45621162567247.jpg
77KB, 1544x800px
>>88291718
>bottled glass water would have been costly to mass produce.
No it wasn't. By your logic milk should be rare as fuck before plastic was made and yet it was commonly distributed with ease. Glass isn't expensive it's just unstable and dangerous if it breaks, plastic eliminated that risk. Godsakes water buckets had glass bottoms and they were common.
You're Bendis aren't you?
>>
>>88291131
I was born in 1979 and bottled water was seen as a weird thing Californians bought up until the mid to late 90s.
>>
File: IMG_4211.jpg (33KB, 371x321px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4211.jpg
33KB, 371x321px
>>88291791
>>
>>88291757
Magneto is in Marvel time is 90+ years old. He was deaged 3 times.
Nick Fury has been kept the same age through some super solider serum variant.
>>
>>88291718
*hasnt seen
>>
>>88291816
Hey I'm just saying when you make a statement that stupid and uneducated, even if shitposting, it needs to be called out.
>>
>>88291824
Right now do that with EVERYONE! Magneto and Fury are tied to WW2 so it makes sense that they created excuses. Everyone else keeps chugging along fine with the sliding timescale.
>>
>>88291772
I mean they're trying to branch out and bring some new blood in with legacy characters but you got a good portion of comic readers who rail against that. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
>>
>>88291713
There's nothing wrong with phasing characters out. They should have done it with Peter Parker by the late 1990s and the original X-Men when X-Factor ended.
>>
>>88291131
You're a moron. It's a reference that bottled water was not a thing until the late early 2000s.
>>
So the issue is that bottled water in plastic was unknown at the time, and ambiguity with glass containers being seen the same way?

Time-travel was a mistake.
>>
>>88291888
If they just stuck to their guns and retired characters this wouldn't be an issue. But people are stupid and don't want new characters than complain about not having new characters. Im just sick of the company and the retarded fans
>>
>>88291069
Because water is normally mostly free and available from any tap in any home.
Except of course in third world countries where the water is so contaminated it's undrinkable.

Or in countries where rampant capitalism makes a marked out of basic needs.

Just sayin'
>>
>>88291893
You're thinking from a story perspective not from a company perspective. I'm saying that Marvel didn't let it happen because Marvel doesn't WANT it to happen. They want to old onto Spider-man and the X-men and they want them to resemble their most iconic selves.
Having them permanently age then eventually leave relevance all together is bad for their bottom line.
>>
>>88291962
Yeah it's a branding thing at this point.

It explains why legacy characters like Miles Morales are more popular than brand new characters like Inferno(Inhumans). Spider Man as a brand sells more than Literally Who.
>>
>>88291914
>It's a reference that bottled water was not a thing until the late early 2000s.
Mineral water which came in glass bottles was a big craze between the 50-60s. It was believed it was better for you to drink then tap water. There was another spike of the water craze in the 70s when running and biking was gaining popularity, same story again that plastic bottle water was better for you then tap. Come the late 80s early 90s it became big again, then in the 2000s.
Now the volume should surprise him but you think he notice the Beer cave, rows and rows of sodas, condoms and sex aids lying about.
>>
>>88292037
Sounds like it's the same shit every generation but with a new coat of paint.
>>
>>88292087
>>88292037
I'm getting a sense that people think tap water is universally equivalent to distributed bottled water

These people have never actually tasted florida tap water near orlando, that shit tasted metallic and iron-y; nothing like back home up north where we got water from wells
>>
>>88291346
>>88291551
>>88291717
Yeah, the timescale is really just to stop writers going full retard like this and trying to definitively pin every event to a timeline. It's unnecessary.

>>88291618
Except they didn't. Marvel hasn't aged like that since the 1960s, Claremont didn't start writing X-Men until it was already policy to not talk about timelines explicitly. They still referenced current events, as they always have, but there was no 1:1 passage of time. Claremont just wrote his characters growing up.

It's immaterial to the plot whether Wolverine is 50 or 100, so nobody ever called Claremont out for it.

>Not sure why the house of ideas insisted on putting an end to that.

Because by the end of the 60s it was clear that their popular titles were in danger of becoming ridiculous. The Avengers had started out on 1:1 time, but by 1970 they'd been going almost a decade. Eventually the problems of ageing and so on would have to be dealt with; but stylistically this was a problem because the readership were very clear about what they actually wanted to read, so instead Marvel continually introduced new characters and rotated the team book rosters to give the focus to the newer characters, perhaps thinking that the older characters - as was usually the case with comics up to that point - would simply be forgotten, and could be reintroduced at a later date if necessary.

Turns out the fans didn't want that.

>>88291811
>>88291791

Because of chlorination. Up until the 30s it wasn't at all unusual, and was safer to drink than tap/well/other municipal water. Water was also bottled as "spring water" for the health benefits for centuries before that.
>>
>>88292277

>Pin every event to a timeline

Some origins do require it though, like Iron Man and Punisher, comic writers in a few decades might run into trouble if we don't have any real wars between now and then.
>>
>>88291346
It's more like until he did the 3 year time skip only one year had passed
>>
Was bottled water AS COMMON in the past as it is now? Where every convenience store will have a ton of it all the time?
>>
>>88292555
Considering he's from 2001, given what we've been told about the time period he skipped, yes. He'd be very familiar with bottled water, especially considering he's from a major metropolitan area.
>>
>>88292419
Iron Man, at least, has had his origin retconned.
>>
>>88291961
>Or in countries where rampant capitalism makes a marked out of basic needs.

The EU? Which has had a massive bottled water market for far longer than the USA.
>>
File: 1970s_product.jpg (43KB, 334x415px) Image search: [Google]
1970s_product.jpg
43KB, 334x415px
>>88291811
You're discounting water coolers, which have been around since the early 1900s, and are basically the same idea but bulk sale instead of individual.

Also bottled tonic/soda water has been readily available since people started making carbonated cocktails.
>>
>>88291962
Maybe the Big 2 just need to throw out all pretense of continuity and just do anthology type shit with their major characters. I mean, that's what people come for with Capeshit, right? Comfy, digestible stories where they can leave their brains at the door. That way they don't HAVE to explain why their characters don't age.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.