[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scooby Doo, a classic from a time where cartoons in the west

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: DuNKBr0.jpg (253KB, 1024x770px) Image search: [Google]
DuNKBr0.jpg
253KB, 1024x770px
Scooby Doo, a classic from a time where cartoons in the west were hitting an odd prime in their quality. Writing wasn't horrible, animation was pretty well off, it didn't suffer from the East's problem of constant cut clips and misplaced animation errors.

Where did it go wrong? Was it the fault of the new generations, or a misunderstanding of "what's hip with the kids" from Cartoon Network do you think?

Safety net: We're talking Scooby Doo in here, expect Ghoul School at some point and don't turn into a raving cunt about it. It's on par with the topic.
>>
File: veruma doggu.jpg (67KB, 564x729px)
veruma doggu.jpg
67KB, 564x729px
What are you talking about anon

Scooby Doo is straight outta the Hannah Barberra-induced dark-age of cartoons. Budgets were down across the board, 'limited animation' had become an accepted penny-pinching technique, and America's shift toward seeing cartoons as a loss leader offset by toy sales was well underway.

For decades now, Scooby Doo has alway sat around the bottom quarter of the barrel -- it's just that what constitutes 'the bottom quarter of the barrel' changes with our sensibilities over time.

In fewer words: it's just as ehhh as it always been.
>>
>>88255943
>>88255698

Mystery Incorporated. Watch it.
>>
>>88255698
Good to know Fred was Adam West the whole time.
>>
>>88255698
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MfisiGqtEM
my uninformed opinion of the matter is this:
back then, technology still hadn't become a massive thing in animation, so they were limited in how they could cheat. As technology became more and more prominent, more and more corners were cut as it was much easier to do so, but the quality was expected to get better and better. As a result, we have this weird new style where the characters themselves and often setpieces or sequences look flashy and grab attention, but are often talking heads with minimal movement that look nice but can't really do anything and episodes are stuffed with filler. Also, back then an episodic format was popular - usually there would be a plot that lasted one or two episodes then got conveniently wrapped up and forgotten, which made things easier, just create a new theme to throw in the formula. Now there's a lot more emphasis on continuity, and while it's not massively pervasive, it still drags a lot of shows down since they're often expected to have an overarching, well written plot when it's often writers flying by the seat of their pants. Not saying they didn't improv shit back then, it's just that it was easier to do so since there was less to worry about. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, I guess I'm saying they cut corners back then with reused/cycled backgrounds and frames, and thanks to technology it's even worse nowadays, but it all really comes down to the studio.
>>
>>88256006
this.
>>
>>88255943
The original Scooby Doo was pretty good. The cast is well designed. Takes inspiration from American myths & legends. It was formulaic and wasn't very funny but its no wonder why it took off where its imitators failed.
>>
File: be-cool-scooby-doo.jpg (109KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
be-cool-scooby-doo.jpg
109KB, 1200x630px
A lot of good opinions.
>>
>>88255943
>'limited animation' had become an accepted penny-pinching technique
Turns out that producing 20 minutes of animation per week with the standards of shorts and features is not feasible.

>>88256056
>back then, technology still hadn't become a massive thing in animation, so they were limited in how they could cheat.
They were using cel animation and multiplane cameras and kept using them until cel animation was phased out. Cutting corners wasn't about technology, it was about techniques. Anime developed all its animation saving methods long before the switch to digital animation.
>>
>>88256255
Christ I can't stand that artstyle
>>
>>88256702
It really looks better in motion.
>>
>>88256255
>>88256702
>not having to Ginger haired Francine
chirst, these opinions are shitty today
>>
File: 1480541658670.jpg (235KB, 1240x1428px)
1480541658670.jpg
235KB, 1240x1428px
Gonna post a quick Winnie and...

I mean I understand the penny pinching to some extent but it worked for the time and I'm pretty sure everybody was doing whatever they could to cut costs in the animation industry. I could be wrong though. Does anyone have a rough explanation on costs then and how they broke out to current costs for similar shows?
>>
File: Scooby-gang-1969.jpg (71KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Scooby-gang-1969.jpg
71KB, 300x225px
Look at these quality made heroes.
>>
What do you all think the series will look like in 10-15 years, assuming they try to keep it alive as long as possible.
>>
>>88258799
They'll probably pack it in after Frank Welker kicks it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.