[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes this show so fucking good? I'd love to hear others'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

What makes this show so fucking good? I'd love to hear others' opinions on it. I love that they do all the ridiculous shit from the comics with the costumes, dialogue, etc, but just play it straight. Also, how accurate is EMH Tony to pre-MCU 616 Tony's personality? I haven't read much Iron Man.
>>
It wasn't made completely in house.

When Marvel Animation took full control of all their cartoons, they all went to shit.
>>
It gave us the best Wasp ever. And Shepard Carol is pretty good too
>>
>>88218217
How did they even come up with The Wasp's personality? I think they just took the classic 616 Silver Age personality and mixed it with the cheerleader with a heart of gold cartoon stereotype
>>
Hulk and Hawkeye's bromance was great
>>
>>88217913
Was the last cartoon before everything had to relate to the MCU.
>>
It did something 616 could never do: Make Hank Pym into a likable badass for kids. The cartoon was made before the Ant-Man film mind you and I remember back when Avengers premiered there were a group of kids that were disappointed that Ant-Man and Wasp weren't in it.

Season 3's notes ares agonizing because we were supposed to get a Magic theme with Surtur as the main villain. I can't believe EMH got axed in favor of Avengers Assemble.

>>88218377
THIS

I fucking loved the fact that they made EMH Hulk as a coherent individual like his early days and not a mindless brute. He and Clint were bro as fuck.

>>88218251
Realistically, look at Janet's original premise. It sounds shallow as fuck from a 60's perspective. The Avengers: United They Stand cartoon tried to make it more palatable, but she came off as boring. EMH's writers must've taken note of how Janet was depicted in the comics and other media. They realized they needed someone who was gung-ho for being into superheroics. Janet's personality was the best fit so they tweaked it and by doing so, they also complemented her characteristics with EMH Hank's preference for peaceful resolution and using science to advance in humanity. Hank was the reluctant hero that only became an Avenger because Janet convinced him to and he decided why not.
>>
>>88217913
They gave proper development to the villains like Kang and a decent setup for the Masters of Evil.
>>
>>88219959
It bothers me that Kang isn't going to be the big villain for the Avengers. Kang Dynasty would be glorious to see. Especially if it were a 2-parter; the 1st film is Kang winning. How many times did we actually see the supervillain actually triumph over all the heroes?
>>
It adapted storylines from comics extremely well, a few changes were made obviously, but not in an overall offensive way, look at The Ballad of Beta Ray Bill. It was just a damn good cartoon that was killed off way too soon.
>>
>>88220016
The problem with movie villains are that they have now setup. In EMH, the villains were growing there team while The Avengers were growing theirs. When the Leaders plan failed, the Abomination found his way in the MoE, the movies have not bothered setting up villains but instead kill them.

If we are to get a proper Kang Dynasty, it cannot be during his introduction. They need to build it up like they are sort of doing with Thanos.
>>
>>88220075
>The Ballad of Beta Ray Bill
Man, I guess I have to get round to series 2, huh? I didn't bother once I found out it had been axed.
>>
>>88218251
Marvel Adventures Avengers?
>>
>>88220234
The quality does drop a bit, but hot damn if season 2 didn't have some damn good moments, like Yellowjacket fucking with Maria Hill, Doom vs the F4 and Avengers, Secret Invasion, it's worth watching.
>>
>>88220263
Man, it pains me that Marvel Adventures was more of a superhero comic than the shit that's peddled in 616 the past 15 years. I loved MA, but it's really sad that a kiddie book knows more about said characters than the mainstream titles.

>>88220114
>the movies have not bothered setting up villains but instead kill them.
THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

My buddy actually had to wake me up during Kaecilius' speech because he was boring as fuck. The most interesting villain in the MCU thus far was Darren Cross; I mean he had layers of pent-up bitterness with Pym as well as future potential. He was quite literally the scariest villain thus far. Especially that bedroom scene. He was more Ultron than Spader's version.

Marvel killing off their villains (who aren't even that interesting to begin with for the most part barring a few exceptions) is their weakness. In fact, I'm glad they aren't using Kang because they'll just fuck him up.
>>
Funnily enough I rewatched this recently and it didn't fare nearly as well on second viewing. It's characterization job is still great, but a lot of the plotting is pretty sloppy and it's conflicts are often pretty forced. The episode with Wonder Man is by far the biggest offender in this. The fact that they took half of the season to introduce each of the characters individually didn't really do them any favors, in retrospect. It's only after episode 10 or so that the show starts picking up speed.

It was still great though, but it wasn't really perfect.
>>
>>88218377
It really was, which only pissed me off more when Clint was the guy showing Red Hulk around when he joined the Avengers after Hulk 'lost control'. He didn't even get to go on the rescue mission to find Bruce (and maybe apologize for that whole 'not an Avenger' thing) with Wasp and Cap!

I love EMH, but I think they kind of missed some opportunities with "The Deadliest Man Alive."
>>
>>88220489

The key to making a villain engaging has still eluded the MCU, Ant-Man was luck and I'm certain of that cause their goals were to build up the heroes first and foremost, to get them to the avengers.

Loki was also fortunate as he is essential to Thor as Batman is to Joker.

You should check this video out, it's a good viewpoint on how to make engaging antagonists.
>>
>>88220642
forgot link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqMxH0atn18
>>
>>88220642
I don't think Darren Cross was luck. Ultron is the bane of Hank Pym's existence, but they couldn't utilize him in the film. Instead, they said,"Well, what if Pym took in a protege who eventually grew to hate his mentor for not cluing him into his secrets?"

The fact that Cross' actor could've easily done a spectacular job as Lex Luthor if given the chance made him even better in my opinion. Seriously, Cross was one scary motherfucker. The bathroom murder alone confirmed how off the rails he was and what he was willing to do.

Not to mention this gem:

>Don't be scared.
>Are you a monster?
>...Do I look like a monster?
>I want my Daddy!
>Yeah, I want your Daddy too...

The audience was silent as fuck when this came on. You could cut the tension with a butterknife; it was THAT unsettling.
>>
>>88220933
I say Cross was luck cause it seemed like there wasn't too much executive influence to get Ant-Man out for the Avengers. Ant Man was a back-burner movie that went through development hell and luckily it came out smelling like roses.

Also, ya that was a great scene.
>>
>>88221037
Ah, in that case, I agree. It helps that Ant-Man was a C-List character at best and wasn't regarded as much of a viable product. Hence no executive meddling like other heroes.

I am sorta miffed that Hank Pym isn't young and kicking ass as Ant-Man, but it's probably the best outcome for him. The comics poisoned Pym's character thanks to Shooter, Austen, Bendis, and Millar. Marvel has nobody to blame but itself for making Pym into a wife-beating meme. I didn't even know he hit Janet while reading West Coast Avengers in the 90's barring a mention here or there.
>>
>>88217913
I think Earth's Mightiest Heroes was so good in part because... well, I don't know for certain, but it's like the script writers and editor were on the same page about "what makes Avengers good".
It's like they made a "name the 10 top things" about each character, followed with a "now name the 20 best storylines of the comics" list. And then they didn't get sidetracked but honestly went after making their lists an updated reality.

Editorial mandates and SJW correctness didn't seem to get in the way of their creation process. I loved the show because I READ those comics in the 70's and 80's, and it drew so much good stuff from them.
>>
>>88221282
I think they took note of how Timm and Dini did Justice League/Unlimited and made the best Marvel version they could. Because so far, EMH is the only thing Marvel animation has to offer against DC's works. Though Spectacular Spider-Man deserves a mention.
>>
>>88217913

pre-MCU Tony had a lot of different personalities depending on the writer. Ellis Tony boiled down a lot of the good aspects of the other ones, and MCU boiled down that into their version, which has since been kinda flandarized and Bendis'd.
>>
>>88221532
Remember the 90's cartoon of Iron Man? Seemed like an obsessive technocrat than anything else to me.
>>
>>88220489
In defense of the movies I don't think they really have time to revisit villains.
>>
File: 1338954105875.jpg (838KB, 1311x738px) Image search: [Google]
1338954105875.jpg
838KB, 1311x738px
>>88217913

Man, I remember posting a bunch of storyboards for the Skrull and Heroes for Hire episodes before they were taken down per-season 2 premiere. Those were some good times, loved seeing people lose their shit when they saw Luke Cage say "Sweet Christmas".

Also all of that "What If" art like pic related seems like most of people involved with this show really wanted to keep the ball rolling into the Marvel mythos for as long as possible.
>>
>>88220548
Everything in the back half of Season 2 minus the last 3 episodes was all Loeb and Man of Action retooling stuff. Deadliest Man Alive was originally supposed to have Deadpool in it and the Red Hulk story was supposed to be a much longer mystery.

Loeb and MoA did such a bad job hacking their shit together and making their new episodes, there's blatant issues like characters appearing in the background of of group shots before they're introduced in later scenes or even episodes.
>>
File: 1359480240206.jpg (536KB, 988x1495px) Image search: [Google]
1359480240206.jpg
536KB, 988x1495px
>>88222086

Also kudos on the comics for at least wetting my whistle after the show was canned.
>>
>>88221847
The Iron Man I grew up reading was just a rich asshole - and not a "likable snarky" asshole like he is in the movies, just a plain dick. But I kind of liked that.

I'd say movie Iron Man feels like old comics Dr. Strange, and movie Dr. Strange feels like old comics Iron Man.
>>
>>88217913
It felt like the people working on it loved the characters and the universe as a whole. It also had a plot unlike the MCU commercials in disguise we get today.
>>
>>88222279
>The Hercules issue

damn what I wouldn't give for that to be animated
>>
File: 1360325397433.jpg (385KB, 900x1366px) Image search: [Google]
1360325397433.jpg
385KB, 900x1366px
>>88222279
>>
>>88222279
>>88222314
Is there a torrent floating around for these? Also what were they called?
>>
File: 1358736610991.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1358736610991.gif
3MB, 320x240px
>>88222279

>Those lips
>>
File: 1302461506095.jpg (403KB, 1280x1997px) Image search: [Google]
1302461506095.jpg
403KB, 1280x1997px
>>88222421

Not sure, I just have bits and pieces picked out of ancient EMH threads from half a decade ago.
>>
>>88219578
>Season 3's notes
Where can they be found?
>>
>>88219578
>It did something 616 could never do: Make Hank Pym into a likable badass for kids.
Hank Pym was easily my favorite character from that show and the way he evolved was beyond intriguing. Also I like many of your thoughts and opinions on EMH. Care to elaborate on Cap, Carol, and Tony?
Also care to share your thoughts on Young Justice?
>>
>>88220933
>>Don't be scared.
>>Are you a monster?
>>...Do I look like a monster?
>>I want my Daddy!
>>Yeah, I want your Daddy too..
I know it may not be an apt comparison but I found that the scene in Suicide Squad where Joker starts fucking with that mob boss to be in the same vein as Cross threatening Cassie. Ultimately it's a simple one on one that is elevated by the performance of the actors. Knowing that at any moment something could go horribly wrong isn't a feeling that can be easily created in media. Though I do think the Cross scene was better. Stoll was phenomenal in what could have been a completely forgettable role.
>>
File: 1474539261924.jpg (225KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1474539261924.jpg
225KB, 1280x720px
>>88220747
>He likes Kabaneri
>He follows the Biba ruined everything meme
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.