[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How's Your Webcomic? #331

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 505
Thread images: 148

File: 1464040613083[1].jpg (328KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1464040613083[1].jpg
328KB, 750x750px
/hyw/
Because apparently I'm the only one who can be bothered edition.
Post your shit (quality content is also technically allowed)
>>
File: Pixar's 22 rules.jpg (174KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
Pixar's 22 rules.jpg
174KB, 612x792px
>>88199184
Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
http://www.myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
http://www.quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: http://senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: http://www.shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
http://www.pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: https://www.tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: http://pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
http://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
http://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
http://courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
http://chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
https://web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
http://www.blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
http://www.cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
http://miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

Got any other useful links? We need more. Share that shit.
>>
File: rogo.png (1MB, 900x1350px) Image search: [Google]
rogo.png
1MB, 900x1350px
>>88199184
FINALLY finished the animation backdrop here. All of the lighting, screens and robots are on separate layers so they can be animated in the finished product. Now I just need to add the front of the desk and a few other miscellaneous set pieces and it will be totally finished.

I added the weird purple lighting at the bottom there to make sure the character would be easily differentiated. I'm not sure it looks good so if anyone else has any ideas I'd be interested in hearing them.
>>
>>88199184
well done

hey Abnor guy, you around? couple spelling and grammar fixes to make. some I'm not sure if they were intentional
>>
File: Poster01.jpg (2MB, 1131x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Poster01.jpg
2MB, 1131x1600px
Since i posted it at the deathbed of the last thread.

Why don't we have topics of the thread anymore?
Because i'd like to know your opinions on backlogs. Currently i plan to have 5-10 pages in advance, so that i can fall back on them in case i don't get to finish a page on time. What's your opinion on it? Have a safety, or do you like to respond to feedback faster and keep your stuff more fresh?
>>
>>88199784
We ran out and people rarely ever discussed them anyway.
As for buffer strips, everyone should have them. You do way better creative thinking when you don't have a deadline breathing down your neck.
>>
>>88199784
I doubt I could resist the itch to post them all at once.
>>
File: page 34.png (765KB, 1125x1650px) Image search: [Google]
page 34.png
765KB, 1125x1650px
Finished this page!

>>88199784
I think they are absolutley essential for any webcomic, that's why I'm going to be trying to build back up my buffer tonight.
>>
>>88199784
>5-10 pages in advance
What's your release schedule?
>>
>>88201009
>just a few minutes
snert
I think that should be 'guilty of' rather than 'in violation of'.. unless you want to change 'illegal amputation' to 'the anti-amputation ordinance'
>>
>>88201034
1 page per week with a very detailed style. I will start posting them when i think i have enough to "hook" people, so that i can kinda pressure myself to dedicate a day of the week solely for drawing.
>>
>>88201109
shut the fuck up coldfusion.
>>
File: footloose.png (36KB, 328x323px) Image search: [Google]
footloose.png
36KB, 328x323px
anybody else know this feel
>>
>>88201587
I know this feet
>>
File: oNE.png (635KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
oNE.png
635KB, 850x1200px
So in order to practice i'm gonna make a short comic about an endangered alien.
>>
>>88201967
woa really neat composition. Have you done other comics so far?
>>
>>88201587
what feel would that be? are you having trouble? because it looks like you have it mostly down, with just two incorrect paradigms holding you back:
>toes go straight across (they should be further out as you get to the big toe)
>bottom of foot is a flat plane like my action figures (it's quite round actually. no need for a line there on the heel end of the sole)

also you seem to be drawing a little poomp line under the big toe when really it's closer to the center and only visible some of the time. it's not like a thumb that has its poomp line right there next to it.
>>
dammit I keep getting stuck lately on one little detail that I just can't leave blank because it's going to lead to something later
>>
File: oburus.jpg (58KB, 700x1300px) Image search: [Google]
oburus.jpg
58KB, 700x1300px
I need a name for a race of half human, half beast like Centaurs, Minotaur, Harpy,..etc That isn't furry nor having an animal pun name.
I'm thinking of just using Latin words or make it an anagram
>>
File: hyw.png (438KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
hyw.png
438KB, 1000x1000px
>>88199184
>old thread image

boy
>>
>>88205426
greek or latin root combinations work well. What is this race a combination of?
>>
>>88205548
superior thread image

though what we should really do is alternate, to avoid duplicate file errors
>>
>>88205426

You can go for some kind of terse description. I always liked the Deep Ones from lovecraft's stuff, it legitimately sounds like what people would call a half-revered/feared race of fish people. Fancy sounding words aren't a requirement.
>>
File: me.png (33KB, 667x413px) Image search: [Google]
me.png
33KB, 667x413px
Which avatar should I go with for myself?
>>
>>88205608
Beast (mammal/animal) + human
The race was made when the god of flesh try to combine the mind of man with the body of beast to impressed Gaia
The beast/man was create but not total perfect, some have whole bottom animal, some have only 1 part human, other just humanoid animal, no human walk on 4 legs and think like an animal tho because they are quickly become food for the others or died out because they are too weak.
So only the half beast/half human or antho lives. They are intelligent enough to gain free will and form themselves a single type of race ( still with many different classes, nations)
>>88205720
I would if they were some kind of powerful or mysterious races but these guys are more sociable kind
>>
>>88205426
anagram probably isn't a good idea...
sometimes it helps to look at the existing etymologies. Harpy for example means 'snatcher' in greek (which, come to think of it, means we shouldn't be making them half-vulture like we usually do. they can't grab shit with their claws very well)
kentauros means 'piercing bull' and describes people, tribes, and a constellation all known for killing bulls with spears.. so either the centaurs or the people or things they were named after were known for that. minotaur in turn, a bull sired by a famous guy named Minos.
so basically it boils down to what this race is known for or associated with.
>>88205778
So they aren't all the same animal, or even all the same form? earlier you said not furry, but you're saying some of them ARE humanoid animals?
usually races that aren't consistent like this get called generically "beastmen"
you could also go with 'therians' or something
>>
>>88205778

Are you naming them from an internal perspective or an external one? I mean, if there were a bunch of vaguely related animal people around interacting with humans "Beast Men" or something could work. Did you have a name for you god of flesh? It would make sense if they had a name derived from that given it's their literal maker. Or are you trying to name all the subspecies too?
>>
>>88201587
what really helped me were those hand and foot challenge packs when I couldn't draw feet at all. Do like 50 feet and you start to get the hang of it.
>>
>>88205869
Yeah, they are not exactly the same species. Beastmen is quite generic, so that why I need another name.
Its kinda like calling human...human but we have different races with different skin tones, body shape, abilities, preferences.
I want something like that for the "beastmen" to create some kind of world building to it so any kind of "beastmen" can exists.
>>88205875
The god of flesh is Visury, subspecies have their own name but mostly will be animal pun or taken from mythology
>>
>>88205426
Steal "chimera" from Fullmetal Alchemist.
>>
>>88206078
They could absolutely be Visurians or Visurites
You could also go with something like "The combined" or "The knitted" or whatever Visury metaphorically did to create them.

honestly, if the subspecies have their own names, I don't see why beastmen can't be their more general name.
>>
>>88206246
eh the problem there is chimera is already A) a generic term for combination animals (and usually the ANIMAL kind, not part human kind), and B) a specific term for lion-goat-snake/dragon greek chimerae

fair enough though, chimera just means 'yearling nannygoat', the kheima part on its own just means winter, so..
>>
>>88206078

Beastman is generic certainly, but that's probably what most outsiders would go for, not everyone is going to care enough to learn their specific name for themselves.

Given the gods name though, Visurians maybe as a whole? Or something fancier with that root. Perhaps add some adjective for the subspecies, like "Feline Visurian". Or give them a name related to some purpose they believe they serve or niche they fill, like Visurian of the Sea or something.

Most native tribes have names that basically mean "<something> people" or "people of the <whatever>" or are taken from a landmark or something. Humans really name themselves with how they relate to other humans, I think, so you can try and follow that same logic with these.
>>
>>88206248 >>88206293

Because Beastmen/beastman are used by other races like demons, human, goblin as an insult or slang.
Its like calling human "hairless ape" or "walking money"
I want a name that the races would usually use, like Vifen or Fevian. I still have to think of their planet tho, probably just a copied of earth with a really messed up ecosystem
>>
>>88206293
Or since they were apparently created as a gift for Gaia, there MIGHT be something in that, though most ideas I can think of are pretty corny.. you can't very well call them Offerings or The Given
>>
>>88206344
Ah okay, having an insult-name is good. Fleshes a setting out nicely.
Putting F and V in the same name close together is a little hard to say. Fevian is close to Ferian though, which works. good solid furry term. I'd still go with Theroids or Therians or Therianoids or something like that.
If they're from another planet then you have yet another great name to go with, the name of the planet.
>>
>>88206386
Alright man, Thenroids/Therians/Therianoids is probably would be used for those who reject their Flesh God who made them as a mere object for another and decided to strive out and form their own nation, creating a civil war.

The planet would be Fortnax ( its basically mean Forge) or Sothu ( A zoo)
>>
hey Legend of the Hare guy
I just caught up. good shit. I didn't know you were the same as the Saffron and Sage guy.. see now I really wanna read that, but as mentioned before, the shit doesn't load.. is that just me?
>>
File: 83479023874.png (136KB, 379x343px) Image search: [Google]
83479023874.png
136KB, 379x343px
What are the types of animators there are for a making a cartoon?

All I know is that theres a story board artist, then the animator, then the person that cleans it up. Please tell me the details.
>>
>>88207257
You should watch Animation Runner Kuromi, a 2-episode OVA. They explain it nicely and entertain in the process!
but to summarize: storyboard, keyframe, inbetween, colorist, plus a bunch of others involved in timing, editing, continuity, etc.

also not exactly the thread for it but we've had animation stuff in here before.
>>
File: 1479786840839.jpg (219KB, 1691x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1479786840839.jpg
219KB, 1691x2048px
>>88207414
thanks dude

+10 anime girls for you
>>
>>88207487
>girl
>>
>>88207506
no. Its a blessing that 10 girls who look like the one in the pic will one day meet you irl.
>>
>>88207531
No, I mean after countless time browsing /a/, I'm starting to doubt every single darkskin in maid outfit is actually a girl and not a trap.
>>
>>88207710
oh shit, well i hope i didn't end up summoning 10 dick girls to meet you then.
>>
>>88207801
No need, I already meet over 10 of them already, and it's not ThaiLand
>>
I'm considering buying a Wacom Intuos tablet. Of the non-pro ones, there seem to be 4 models: Draw, Art, Photo, and Comic.

As far as I can tell the only differences is that the Draw does not support multitouch (and is cheaper) and they all come with different software bundled. I've been looking through the specs listed on the site, and I can't seem to find any other differences.

Is the only difference between them the software that comes bundled?

Thanks in advance, and in exchange I'd be happy to answer any questions about web stuff if anyone needs any advice about that.
>>
>>88207952
Ask /ic/, They have more experiences, I think
>>
>>88207952
more buttons and pressure sensitivity = better
>>
>>88208077
The Art, Photo, and Comic seem to have identical button layouts and pressure sensitivity, as well as the same size, dpi, and read speed.

>>88208071
Yeah, maybe I'll head over there.
>>
File: page 35.png (854KB, 1125x1650px) Image search: [Google]
page 35.png
854KB, 1125x1650px
WIP of the next page!
>>
>>88208135
let us know what you find out. to me it looks like just a color difference
>>
Maybe if we ignore him long enough, he won't see us...
>>
>>88205740
Left one, none of your characters even look like the image on the right.
>>
File: page 1.png (440KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
page 1.png
440KB, 768x1024px
need some critiques on this be merciless
>>
>>88211444
In the first frame, even if a character has two sets of eyes don't put one of them on his cheeks, it just looks weird. Other then that it's okey, where do you post your stuff?
>>
>>88211444
Yuri Princess?
>>
File: meeeee.png (243KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
meeeee.png
243KB, 1000x1000px
>>88211506
noted. wont be using him again in any panels, just a oneshot character. im buying a domain soon to start posting on there. gonna be at projectundergroundcomic.com.
>>88211561
nope tumblr user slut-bot here.
>>
Beside photoshop what is the best program to color comics that I already inked traditionally?
I'm specifically interested on replicating the flat colors of vintage comics like pic related
>>
>>88211735
honestly i like paint tool sai. im not a photoshop cs kinda guy. just scan your inks, desaturate the ink layer, and color on a layer beneath it and yr done
>>
>>88211444
>panel 1
Horn guy has his hand all the way behind his ear as he's shouting. Nobody does that.
Four-eyes' ears don't line up, neither do his shoulders.
Cyclops' hand is way less detailed than horn guy's, although it's drawn much bigger.
Cyclops' ear looks like it's pointing forwards at a 45 degree angle
Inside of cyclops' mouth is way brighter than the outside.

>panel 2
Blue guy looks disgusted, not angry. Like he just smelled something unpleasant.

>panel 3
Why is there an arrow?
The ear is too far out from his head.

>guy on the right
The colored outline for the lilac is way too close to the shadow color. His hand looks like it's floating.
Having his irises touch the top and bottom of his eyes make them look like cylinders projecting out of his eye sockets, especially with the way they're going in front of one of his eyebrows.

General: It seems like you're deciding to use colored outlines or not solely on whether the outline goes up against a field of the same color or not. I suggest you start using black outlines on things that you want to separate, even if they're the same color (like the cyclops' hand in front of his face in panel 1) and use colored outlines on things that are together, even if it joins two different colors (like the neckhole of four-eyes' turtleneck)
>>
>>88211735
I don't know about "best", but I know both Krita and GIMP, which are free, should be able to easily do what you're interested in.
>>
>>88211880
>panel one
i made the mistake of not using anatomy references so i will be redrawing this page
>panel two
while he is somewhat disgusted i see your point he does look like somebody farted in his face lmao
>panel 3
he's looking down, the arrow was supposed to indicate that haha. and yeah i have really sticking out ears so i draw them that way ill try and work on lining up my ears and eyes in the future.
>guy on the right
yeah i didnt care for how his eyes turned out i knew that was an issue. as for the color, i can lower the intensity of the multiply layer
general: i think ill start being more choosey about which parts i make colored outlines. if the whole thing is a colored outline it looks weird, but if i dont use colore doutlines it doesnt look quite right either

thanks so much for the input, i appreciate it.
>>
>>88212058
>he's looking down, the arrow was supposed to indicate that
Don't worry about drawing attention to characters' eyes - it's the first thing everybody looks at.
> i can lower the intensity of the multiply layer
Try making the outline darker, first.
>>
How'd you folks feel about a quest comic? For example someone rolls for dubs and suggests the next plot point, something like that
>>
>>88212741
>>>/qst/
>>
>>88207952
It's just basically bundled software.

Intuos Comic comes with Clip Studio Paint, which is a damn fine art program and really the only one you're likely to need and use. I went with Art because I already had CSP, but I've never gotten around to using the Corel Painter it's bundled with.

Note: Wacom rebranded their products a couple of years ago. Intuos used to be a top end product right below Cintiq, but now it's basically their entry level model.

I personally prefer my older bamboo connect. I've had less problems with the driver fucking up.
>>
>>88199784
Absolutely necessary. It gives you breathing room, it gives you time to plan in advance (one piece does this) and just like you said, its a good just in case you couldn't work on it.
>>
File: eyes.png (132KB, 1209x252px) Image search: [Google]
eyes.png
132KB, 1209x252px
>>88211444
This comic is embodiment of tumblr
>>
File: Carrion Girls pg 2-25 wip 8h01.jpg (336KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Carrion Girls pg 2-25 wip 8h01.jpg
336KB, 1000x1500px
Bump.
>>
>>88199608
I'm here... I don't think there are intentional misspellings in this page. Please tell me, what did we mess up?
>>
File: My Name is Kara Zor El.jpg (548KB, 3160x2556px) Image search: [Google]
My Name is Kara Zor El.jpg
548KB, 3160x2556px
alright my first /hyw/ post. So I am working on a PowerGirl fan comic, it's just a hobby of mine. was thinking of going with this art style. I still need to do better with the hair but this is what I am kinda going for.

What to do Peej justice after they ruined her in Nu52.
>>
>>88211444
>Almost all face shots, at the same angle
>"First Panel" is the entire right side of the page, making reading awkward.
All of these lead to the page feeling extremely fucking cramped.

>Using a half-page figure for impact, but not having any overlap or any sort of eye-catching pose.
>Everyone is looking AWAY from the GIANT FIGURE ON THE PAGE
>Everyone is 3/4s perspective
>No backgrounds
These make this entire layout a waste: you would have been better off with a pinup page of the same thing with a little inset panel of the albino's reaction at the bottom. That way you'd have a full page to have an eye-catching shot of the albino, you'd get to have the monsters without a panel disconnect, and you'd have space to draw a background.
>>
>>88211735
Pretty much every major drawing program lets you color the way photoshop does.
>>
File: ZYXCITY-67.png (503KB, 1200x1400px) Image search: [Google]
ZYXCITY-67.png
503KB, 1200x1400px
In today's comic, time passes with no sign of Lord Remington...

http://zyxcity.tumblr.com/
>>
>>88215699
Neat looking characters
>>
>>88207506
>anime
could have sworn that one was from Rune Factory Oceans. but maybe that's not her, she had glasses
>>
>>88208250
hehe, bathrobe samurai.
you seem to be drawing her belt UNDER her front-seams though.
>>
>>88212741
Love 'em but this isn't the place to solely get suggestions.
You CAN however do one like Bug Quest where you ask for suggestions in here by posting us the updates so we're right alongside your other readers, and we'll just go to your site and do the suggesting there, where it goes.
>>
>>88214500
look at LEAST slide the looking-back eye minipanel upwards somewhat
it's really hard to think of two eyes side by side as being the same eye moving in two panels. it's just not how we're wired.
also evil kitty is cute.
>>
File: 1409722531111.jpg (93KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1409722531111.jpg
93KB, 633x758px
>tfw I'm gonna get paid $200 for a single comic page
I guess my time finally came nerds
>>
>>88216232
It's a fetish comic, isn't it.
Why am I even humoring you, the page doesn't exist.
>>
>>88214568
well perhaps intentional grammar. like "the police IS impotent" is intentional, right? since it should be "are" even in american english
in panel 11 Tadeu briefly slips into present tense "happen" instead of past tense "happened" before moving back into the past tense "Arrived".. but granted, a lot of people tell stories like that.
and then the big one, it's archaeologist, not archeologist. you wrote that one about seven times so be thorough
and I don't know what a uiara is but that looks weird to me.

also this page makes me laugh so fucking hard. their imaginary versions of each other are priceless
>>
>>88214888
That sure is some realism... at a distance. are you sure you can handle this kind of art? Might need more practice first.
Good hairstyle at least, though I've always been partial to the Galatea version
>>
>>88216220
I'm still deliberating over how I want to fix that. I got delayed so I'm kind of stressing out and focusing on finishing up the things I know I want to keep, first.
>>
>>88216296
>"the police IS impotent" is intentional, right? since it should be "are" even in american english
yes, unless you're talking about the band
>>
>>88216727
right. in which case only british english would say 'are'
in american english you'd say 'the police department is' because we have a higher level of synecdoche, but british english would still say 'the police department are'
I wonder if some of that is hypercorrection, because using 'is' when you should use 'are' is a stereotypical american gangster way of talking.
>>
How do you guys find a personal style
I studied manga then classical drawing for some time when I was young. I'm by no means a good artist so I'm in an awkward phase where I can only drawn following strict anatomic figures that end up being wrong when in fact I'd rather drawn in a more comic, more "caricatural" manner.
It's like an automatic process, I draw a face following all the rules I learned and it's really hard for me to deviate from that.
>>
File: pizzaman.jpg (159KB, 1597x500px) Image search: [Google]
pizzaman.jpg
159KB, 1597x500px
Kinda bummed today. Found out that the newspaper I've been working under the last 5 months won't start paying me until Spring. The good part is that they've still published all of my work every week, the bad is that I doubt I'm going to see a penny from any of the stuff I previously did
>>
>>88211444
Your lines are a bit iffy. While the actual weight is on spot, the artistic decision to change its color comes off confusing more than anything. Either go full in with it or don't. The style works for hair because not every curl is portruding in an extreme manner. But compare that to the left eyebrow on the figure covering the right side of the page and it looks like the eyebrow is apart of the hair. It's appropriate there to make the eyebrow stick out with a solid black outline as it, y'know, outlines the eyebrow. Also your noses look the same. Adding those small lines on noses contributes nothin. On top of all of that, really work on how your facial proportions. Just because a character has 4 eyes or 1 giant eye doesn't mean you can skip over the rules of anatomy. The 4 eyed guy, for instance, comes off weird since the second pair of eyes seem to est on his cheeks. If that was intentional, it was poorly communicated. If it was not intentional, then you really gotta work on how you distribute facial features on a character's head
>>88211735
I use photoshop. Just use threshold on the pic to make it black and white, add a new layer, change that new layer to multiply, and go crazy. The nice thing with multiply is that its automatically set to black so it only colors the white space of an image
>>
>>88217325
For me it's all about finding certain shapes pleasant and fun to draw. I think the eyes will guide you, what shape do you think makes a good eye? acorn shape? rounded pentagon? arch-topped rhombus? just straight up circles?
>>
>>88217325
>How do you guys find a personal style
"Your style" is simply the intersection of your skillset and your personality.
Try to get as many tools in your toolbox as possible (the breadth of techniques involved is why it's recommended that everyone study realism) so you'll be able to express your ideas, and don't worry about your style aside from that.
>>
File: Sqweek[1].png (240KB, 455x345px) Image search: [Google]
Sqweek[1].png
240KB, 455x345px
>>88217335
What does your contract say?
>>88217493
I feel like the problem with the extra eyes isn't that they're on the cheeks, as several people have said, but that they're tareme eyes. Mismatching eyes really messes with our understanding of expression, where everything is typically unified
Whereas those weird aliens in that Superman episode have their weirdly-placed eyes all united in their expression
>>
>>88217617
They kinda screwed it up. Turns out I needed to go to a second party to legitimize everything. So pretty much I only now officially signed up and I've been put on the spring payroll
>>
>>88217617
Counterpoint: The alien in that one episode of Superman tas does follow its own rules of anatomy. The extra face rests on the eyeball's top and forms a mouth around the bottom eyelid. Its placed in an area that does not contradict with other elements of the face.
>>
>>88217757
I don't think eyelid-eyes are any more contradicty than cheek-eyes. They just have to match.
If I did cheek-eyes, not only would I make sure they matched, I'd probably face them slightly outward, like the outer eyes on a jumping spider, so they didn't get in the way of the face as much. I might also elongate the face somewhat.
But there's a reason that most people put extra eyes on the forehead instead: foreheads just seem like better real estate. Nice solid piece of skull, plus then you have a normal forehead above those eyes, if abbreviated
>>
>>88216309
I love Galatea, Yeah the art thing I do need more practice for sure but this is a hobby so I am doing it at my own pace.
>>
File: Four_Arms_and_Stinkfly.jpg (89KB, 1241x932px) Image search: [Google]
Four_Arms_and_Stinkfly.jpg
89KB, 1241x932px
>>88217912
I guess my point is, the character in anon's webcomic is distinctly human aside from the obvious extra pair of eyes. And because of how inconsistent the features are, the eyes are placed on a part of the face that have a lot of complicated indents. It's not like the art style is gong for a super-cartoony look to it making it kinda jarring. Like you said, the forehead is a really good place to place eyes because of how empty it is. And for the alien creature, its placement works because its design doesn't have to follow the standards of human anatomy. I think that the 4 eyed character should be redesigned from the ground up with both these points in mind. Either they should commit to the human likeness and place the eyes in a manner that would benefit the face's look or go and make a new design that is built around the placement of the eyes. Pic related, 2 good examples of the former and latter
>>
>>88218105
yeah good point, it helps a lot if they aren't so human
>>
>>88214484
why bc it has brown ppl? or bc its shit art?
>>
File: sidebar.png (6KB, 203x220px) Image search: [Google]
sidebar.png
6KB, 203x220px
Alright so monster comic anon here! Thanks so much for the critiques. I get motivated by harsh criticism, so this makes me wanna get back to remaking the page. This time I'll think things a bit more through, and play with my coloring a bit.
>tumblr
kek
>>
>>88219341
>remaking old pages
Don't do that dude
If you remake new pages it would end up just as good as it used to be whenever you first made it in your eyes

Then after that you would be kept in a loop of continuing to remake old pages over and over
Leave it as it is. It will be easier on you, and it will help you watch yourself grow as an artist, as your art will grow as your story progresses
>>
>>88219219
Not that guy, but the way they're stylizing the characters' features are giving me a tumblrsphere vibe as well.
I wouldn't call it a good thing or a bad thing art-wise, but it is the impression I'm getting.
>>
>>88219577
>a tumblr-sphere vibe

Anybody who honestly says such a thing can be immediately dismissed.
>>
>>88217325
Keep studying the proper way to draw. Once you get the hang of that, drawing cartoon style is easy.
>>
>>88216793
I'm American and I'd say the police are. I'd only say police department if I wanted to specify one police department in particular.
>>
>>88219705
that's consistent with what I said
>>
>>88219631
>immediately dismissed
Considering that so far, 100% of comments on the strip's style have included "feels like tumblr" in their estimation, it seems to me like it might be more productive to wonder why they think that and what you can/want to do about it than to just dismiss them out of hand.
>>
>>88219843
I think it's just the facial features. it's not that it's tumblry, just that it's very modern. the way noses are shaped, with proninence on the nostrils. the inconsistency, the use of really soft faces except a perfect square for one. the offbeat eyebrow shapes. the visible upper teeth in every open mouth. the visible lip followed by a really low mouth, ears that stick out, y'know... it's a world without cheekbones
I dont think this style should get shat on at all. Just that it's pretty distinctive and modern.
>>
>>88219631
this desu

Everyone knows the proper terminology is tumblrverse
>>
>>88199588
for what it's worth, I think you did a good job on it, and it sucks you haven't gotten any feedback on this at all

keep doing what you're doing anon
>>
>>88199588
I think the light at the bottom in terms of brightness and color is fine as is, but I would want a softer contrast between the edges of the light in the center of those monitors and the background.

From the thumbnail it's not noticeable, but once I expand it the sharp contrast combined with the irregular shaping of the light makes the light look more like a blotch of paint that was accidentally spilled onto the artwork

Sorry I can't explain it any better
>>
>>88220625
It's okay, Dupe's given us a lot of WIPs and at this point we've seen this thing in pieces a bunch of times. I think we've all given all the feedback we have. I'm glad he's ready to put it all together.
>>
File: oNE p2.png (509KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
oNE p2.png
509KB, 850x1200px
Page 2 of Practice Comic...

> Your planet blew up and your being arrested...
>>
>>88221833
>your
shit writer
>>
>>88219843
100% of how many comments, anon?

A handful of retarded comments doesn't make it legit just because those are the only comments. Especially on a thread like this on a board like this on a site like this.
>>
>>88221921
Good Lord YOUR write! I is worse Paper Scribbler!
>>
>>88222009
full retard
>>
>>88221833
It took me more than one read to tell what panel four was meant to convey. Using speedlines to show the speed with which they moved is fine, but you might want to show the action from a different angle or position to make it more clear.
>>
>>88223023
Yup, I plan on showing an after image to show the before and after motion. I just didn't include it into the sketch sorry.
>>
these threads were a mistake. let this be the final one
>>
File: rogo.png (1MB, 900x1350px) Image search: [Google]
rogo.png
1MB, 900x1350px
>>88220924
I changed up the purple lighting slightly, added some similar lighting shapes on the monitors to make it look more recurring, and also put in the placeholders for other things that will be drawing the focus of the scene. I think it looks a little better now, thanks for helping me pinpoint what exactly the issue was, I think it looks better now.

>>88220625
Thanks! I appreciate it. Though as this anon stated >>88221099 I've already spammed this image in countless past threads and have gotten plenty of help with it so it's all good. I can say posting these frequent "milestones" publicly helped to motivate me immensely whether I got feedback or not. I'm just glad nobody got annoyed with the frequency by
this point.

On the subject, since this is nearing completion I won't be posting anymore progress pics after this one. Though when I completely finish all the foreground and additional items I'll post the final finished image and compare it to the very first sketch I came to these threads with just for fun.
>>
>>88216296
Thanks a lot, man. I will fix it soon
>>
File: oNE p3.png (487KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
oNE p3.png
487KB, 850x1200px
>>88221833
Another one, I feel pretty motivated so i'm just gonna show some more sketches...

Nothing good, but feel free to point out anything that seems off from the concepts. It's best I fix any quirks before i finalize these.
>>
>>88221833
>>88223791

I dig these simplistic characters. Your sense of proportion is something I envy. Though it took me quite a while to figure out what I was looking at in that final panel of the second page, even now I'm not super confident I know what I'm seeing. Are you planning on polishing these up or is the pencil style the finished look you're going for?
>>
>>88223929
See>>88223791
>"It's best I fix any quirks before I finalize these."

Yes sir i will be polishing these, what you see is merely simple drafts of whats to come.

My other comic will have to be developed a bit more (writing script and taking some notes, also reading some book to help improve my draftsmanship).
>>
>>88223791
your sense of timing/paneling could use some work. A minor example would be switching panels 1 and 2, this order of events allows for at least a little time for both the mc to react to what the robot said AND for the security to arrive. Tbh, this is personal opinion though, so take it with a grain of salt

a better example is the last panel. That's the kind of scene that STARTS off a next page, because it happens after a lapse in time. Readers tend to assume this lapse in time between turns of the page. The way it is now, it sort of goes from one scene to the next somewhat awkwardly.
>>
File: oNE 4.png (520KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
oNE 4.png
520KB, 850x1200px
>>88225397
Oh good thanks for pointing that out! I'll make sure to reevaluate the page to make sure each transition is understood a bit more clearly.

This'll be the last sketch page tonight because work is hard and i need sleep. I need a job that doesn't physically exhaust me...
>>
File: Page 1.jpg (877KB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
Page 1.jpg
877KB, 2550x3300px
I started redrawing the first few pages of my webcomic since they were pretty rough and I've gotten,I guess, quite a ways better. technical skill-wise.

Forgive me if the lighting and whatnot looks off. My desktop makes everything look brighter
>>
>>88227018
You know I like your shading nice and clean, you may need to work on conveying body languages and drawing people and objects from different angles. This'll help tremendously.

>also I never understood why whenever cities were attacked by monsters or such, the entire city is on fire. Did the monsters have Molotov Cocktails or did the humans all collectively leave candles up overnight.
>>
File: 08.png (701KB, 770x1091px) Image search: [Google]
08.png
701KB, 770x1091px
Saffron update!

Are there any good options for low-quantity printing? I'm thinking of trying to sell physical "issues" of Saffron at ultra-small indy cons. Some googling indicates that the best way to do this is to just buy a nice printer and good paper for it, but are there other options?
>>
>>88206812

Oh hey! Thanks!

Um, I haven't heard other complaints of the site not loading, though I only recently resized the images to be a bit more reasonable on the ol' bandwidth.

What device/browser are you using?
>>
>>88227399
I figured it was leaking gas lines.. or attacks by explosive shit like missiles, lasers, or death breath
>>
>>88227468
normal computer, firefox 34..
although when I initially made this complaint, it wouldnt load on my other computer that has a much newer version of firefox. it's now working on that computer, and if it had been doing that before I wouldn't have bothered mentioning it
I guess it's about time to update the fucker, but I worry because every new version of firefox seems to run worse, and this is a decade-old computer here.

actually I wonder, are you running some kinda javascript on the front page? it could be my java being out of date.. because when I try to update it it warns me compatibility isn't assured anymore.
>>
File: page 35.png (947KB, 1125x1650px) Image search: [Google]
page 35.png
947KB, 1125x1650px
Finished this page!
>>
>>88227445
i dig the burdhorse! first time i've seen one with proper bird feet that still looks like it could actually walk okay.. and letting the feathers go down that far is part of it.
the tiny lil wings still somehow look nice
that is one manly woman though, gotta say. seems to be a lot of those hero-ing around lately. I think I actually prefer scrawny female heroes who are still inexplicably mighty, possibly because my sister is one of those. but it's awwwwl good.
>>
>>88228065
>>88216157
>>
>>88228183
Ah thanks, I can fix that.
>>
>>88228433
I'm glad. I try to give those fixes before you get to the coloring stage, because sometimes it's harder to fix afterwards.
>>
>>88228647
Shut the fuck up coldfusion
>>
File: stuff.png (635KB, 1393x734px) Image search: [Google]
stuff.png
635KB, 1393x734px
>>
File: Liri_1.png (353KB, 500x685px) Image search: [Google]
Liri_1.png
353KB, 500x685px
>>88228164

>>i dig the burdhorse!

Thanks it's based of a bearded vulture. And, uh, a horse.

>>I think I actually prefer scrawny female heroes who are still inexplicably mighty, possibly because my sister is one of those. but it's awwwwl good.

Oh, you'll get some of them, too. I wanted Saffron and Liri, the two female leads of the comic, to be as different from each other as possible at the start. Saffron's big and kind of manly. Liri is smol and femme. Adventurers of all body types can co-exist in Saffron and Sage!
>>
Why the fuck can't I find a reference picture for those outdoor faucet things they use after gym class in anime. what the shit are they called?
>>
>>88228998
It never ocurred to me before that bearded vultures totally have horselike head shapes. Super 'propes.
hooray for contrasting leads! Those are the best.
>random picture of Colette
Wait, is that a cosplay? awww
>>
>>88228647
Well, I mean, I already colored it. But I did fix it.
>>
File: nina-1.jpg (122KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
nina-1.jpg
122KB, 1024x768px
>>88229243

The reference images I sent for Liri are Collette, Zelda, and Nina from Breath of Fire. Old-timey JRPG love interest type
>>
>>88229015
Water Faucets.

Try actually checking out some buildings in your area, most of them have one for gardening.
>>
>>88229624
hmm no that didn't help.
I finally found one on gelbooru, but google image search let me down with any combination of sink, basin, fountain, faucet, concrete, gym class, japan, anime, outdoor.. I even threw 'garden' in some combinations for you, no dice. Weird man.
>>
File: 20161208.jpg (846KB, 900x2605px) Image search: [Google]
20161208.jpg
846KB, 900x2605px
I'm actually starting to enjoy drawing Kaen
I hope this one amuses, I had to share the WIP. input (especially for backgrounds) is always welcome.
we have a bit of continuity, and a question answered that I'm sure everyone was curious about
>>
>>88231657
>guys with glasses
>not sexy af
>>
When you practice different fundamental art skills and make a mock-up AND you've got the same amount of experience all around (maybe with the exception of one skill or two, which would be projection of light and color theory for me), what do you work on first? What do you want to work on the hardest?

Anatomy? Perspective and foreshortening for characters and/or scenery?

Character designs that are simultaneously eye-catching and not generic attractive people? (You know what I mean. Same body shape, slap on different hair and colors.)
\
Something else?
>>
File: 1479797115036.gif (601KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1479797115036.gif
601KB, 480x270px
>My goal for this year was to fully release a little introduction prologue to my dumb webcomic plotline
>It's close to the end of the year, and I'm just about finished

Everything else in life is going downhill, but my major goal of this year is practically complete, and I couldn't be happier
>>
>>88227445

Copy shops like Kinkos can do that. You just give them a thumb drive of all the pages and they can make as many copies as you want. Now when it comes to them actually making books I'd say scout your area and ask around.

I've heard some people go to specific print shops. You might get lucky and find one that makes books too.

At worst you'll have to fold the pages and staple them yourself but the shops should have staplers for books.
>>
File: rei-rei.jpg (15KB, 360x262px) Image search: [Google]
rei-rei.jpg
15KB, 360x262px
>not having overlapping meme brows
>>
>>88232220
At that point it depends on your focus. What do you want to draw?

Even if your answer is "comics, duh", the type of comic is important; an action comic needs more perspective, rough anatomy and dynamic composition, a drama is more about acting with the face and body language, a cartoon comedy needs more silly faces, porn needs sex appeal, travelogues need to be good at conveying the character of an environment, comics with huge casts need to have more varied character designs, and so on and so forth.

Mind you, any of those skills would be useful for any comic.
(also, obviously, page composition, panel composition, just visual storytelling in general is its own skill that's super important for comics)
>>
>>88232520
Left looks more surprised
Right looks more determined

"Overlapping meme brows" can look good, but they could also look bad. Same with any other stylistic choice
>>
So i'm wondering you guys and I don't want to sound like a total shithead but if you guys can draw and I won't deny that some of you guys really can. Why not improve yourself to DC or Marvel tier artists? If you can draw your webcomics right now what makes you not draw at the same level as legitimate comic artists?
>>
>>88233870
You can count the number of people who can draw here on one hand. The rest will never make it, they don't have the attitude or mental aptitude necessary to get to that level.
>>
>>88233870
I don't understand the question.
There are already people in these threads that are as technically skilled as or better than some of the artists employed by Marvel or DC, and the ones that aren't at that level mostly all intend to reach it eventually.
>>
>>88233870
There's no such thing as "DC/Marvel tier": they have impeccable and shit artists alike. Getting in with them is a matter of timliness, social networking, and selling your reputation.
>>
File: actual published art.png (856KB, 1173x746px) Image search: [Google]
actual published art.png
856KB, 1173x746px
>>88233870
>Why not improve yourself to DC or Marvel tier artists?
That's not a very high bar.
>>
>>88199588
Invader Zim: The Ripoff

>>88199784
/aco/ the Comic

>>88201009
Autism the Comic

>>88201967
Invader Zim: Another Comic

>>88223791
Invader Zim: We're Pokemons now

>>88211444
Tumblr Teens - Is "monster" a gender?

>>88214500
Northern Wildlife: Abused Animals (starring Pearl from Steven Universe)

>>88215699
Almost Dewd

>>88217335
Super Original Superhero Parody that was never done before the Comic

>>88227018
Totally Unique Fantasy Setting with a never seen Plot the Comic

>>88227445
Fantastic Frog Fetishists and where to find Them
>>
>>88234559
>/aco/ the Comic
Anon that's super low tier bantz.
I expected better of you.
>>
>>88234559
Not bad, could improve. 6/10
>>
Bumpin'.
>>
>>88232285
It's probably a good idea to print off a single dummy/test copy of your comic at home, if you've never done it before. That will give you an idea of how it's put together, and let you see if artwork needs to be adjusted, etc. You'll also have something you can show to the people at places like Kinkos, so they know what it is you want them to make (otherwise you could end up with something spiral bound and all pages single sided).

Scout your local print shops, and get a quotation from each one for print runs of 10/50/100 copies (individual unit prices usually go down the more you print). If they already print saddlestitched 'zines/pamphlets then all the better.
Alternatively, look for printers that specialise in printing comics, even if they're further afield. (If you're UK based I can make some suggestions.)

Home printing is an option, but time consuming, and you most likely won't be able to have a full bleed page (you'll have to take into account a 3mm or so white border on every sheet) or neatly trimmed edges (the centre pages will stick out more than the outer pages). You'll probably need to invest in a longarm stapler and/or guillotine.
>>
File: 1406876122426.png (153KB, 421x500px) Image search: [Google]
1406876122426.png
153KB, 421x500px
Will it look bad if I commission other artists to draw porn of my characters?
>>
>>88237206
No, why would it? You're free to do with your money what you want.
Just don't be claiming it's fanart, people will find out
>>
>>88234559

>Invader Zim

Actually that's quite a nice compliment, I like the show for it's unique art direction. But I'm don't do super villains as main characters, not yet.

Hey since your here why not show us your stuff? Love to see what new people that come to these threads can do. If not any other critiques than Invader Zim? They're just sketches, but even sketches need evaluation.
>>
>>88237291
>No, why would it?
I dunno, there are certain things I always hear can have give people a negative perception of you, (like starting a Patreon without enough of a fanbase to warrant it, for example.)

Didn't know if commissioning porn was something that could drive potential fans away.
>>
>>88237442
>trying to bait a masturbaiter

Pleb
>>
>>88237484
Well why do you have to show it? Just keep your porn that you commissioned to yourself
>>
>>88237206
>>88237484
You're an artist yourself, right?
I could definitely see it costing you some artist cred unless you spin it right.

If it's presented as "I love this guy's work and I thought it would be interesting/educational to see how he'd approach my characters" then you can probably get away with it (though unless they're very busy and highly regarded artists it might highlight your weakness that you have to pay them money, rather than doing an art trade or something).

If people get the idea that you did it because your own porn is so amateurish that even you can't get off to it, or because you're an ideas guy who isn't willing to put in the time and effort to get good, then yeah, that might seem kind of pathetic.
>>
>>88237484
I never understood why people is so concerned about image.
I mean, I understand self awareness is a must have, but you're still a human being like the people that reads your work. You're allowed to pamper yourself a little if that's what you want, without thinking how or if that would have an impact on your work.
>>
>>88237862
>I never understood why people is so concerned about image.
Some people actually want to be successful and make a living off of their art. To do that online requires a fanbase and having a fanbase requires having a good image, among other things.
>>
>>88237484

How much of a fanbase does a person require for a patreon? Isn't that up to the artist to decide? How do you measure somebody else's fanbase?

You kinda sound like a douche.
>>
>>88233870
If you're so smart, why don't you go get yourself a Nobel prize?
>>
>>88238283
I don't agree with this. If that were the case, a lot of assholes would be literally whos by now, which is not the case.
Though it's easier to be an asshole after you became successful, I guess.

Anyway, I rather not sail the dogma ship if you ask me, because you'll never make everyone happy.
>>
>>88238296
I think you're reading more into his statements than he intended.
The advice he was given about not starting a patreon sounds similar to advice that I've been given, which was entirely practical in nature.
The way I had it explained, patron-less patreon accounts can scare potential donators away (nobody wants go first), so you want to wait until you're certain to have a few people bite before you open it up.
>>
File: rip off.png (385KB, 319x494px) Image search: [Google]
rip off.png
385KB, 319x494px
>>88234559
Come on, man. At least be accurate to what I'm actually ripping off.
>>
File: 1478247092955 (1).png (480KB, 600x525px) Image search: [Google]
1478247092955 (1).png
480KB, 600x525px
>>88232254
>I said I would finish to revise my script for the first chapter before the year ends
>mfw I'm not even close to finish.

It's kinda my fault. I avoid getting into writing because I get so into it I neglect my dayjob.
>>
>>88239432
Source? I love the shading
>>
>>88238296
>>88238516
I started mine knowing it will be dry for at least half a year. I know I won't get any readers dedicated enough to drop a few bucks when I have less than 400 followers on my sketchblog in the first place. But you have to start somewhere.
Also I got my first follower in like 2 days. So far he's the only follower, but I still make it a point to have regular patron exclusive stuff.
>>
>>88239480
http://mangafox.me/manga/bouken_erekitetou/
>>
>>88231909
tell me about it. I kinda miss mine
but maybe not square ones. and I have to admit sometimes, some angles, they can obscure ocular beauty instead of enhancing it
>>
File: page 36.png (684KB, 1125x1650px) Image search: [Google]
page 36.png
684KB, 1125x1650px
Finished this page!
>>
>>88241442
>inb4 coldfusion praise
>>
>>88241442
>characters that are supposed to dramatically be staring each other down are both facing left
You should put more thought into your pages than none at all.
>>
File: ZYXCITY-68.png (528KB, 1200x1400px) Image search: [Google]
ZYXCITY-68.png
528KB, 1200x1400px
In today's comic, Liz meets up with an old friend.

>>
>>88242477
Another shot of the buff naked guy and now Old!Felix.

What an odd comic.
>>
>>88242477
Nice comic.
>>
>>88219219
>brown ppl
There are brown people on that page!?
>>
>>88241442
you're*
exercise*
>>
File: LoreTease01.png (157KB, 893x507px) Image search: [Google]
LoreTease01.png
157KB, 893x507px
How do you feel about making background lore a Patreon reward?
>>
>>88243888
it's something I wish I could use patreon to determine, concentrate, and locate the desire for.. but would not probably charge much for. Just the base 1 or 2-dollar level
>>
>>88242772
>>
>>88199784
Holy shit I remember this from year ago, love that goblin bitch
>>
File: DSC_3351.jpg (529KB, 663x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3351.jpg
529KB, 663x1000px
Not exactly a webcomic
BUT I am doing a comic as part of my final grade in figure drawing, and wanted to ask something here.

I chose to do a 2 page comic that starts out with a guy running from a giant skeleton, the skeleton picks him up to eat him, but as the guy is about to be eaten he wakes up looking terrified, (SURPRISE IT WAS JUST A NIGHTMARE)
But then he looks over and sees a tiny skeleton on his night stand, and crushes it. As the skeleton gets crushed the skeleton wakes up in his bed looking terrified. SURPRISE IT WAS THE SKELETONS NIGHTMARE ALL ALONG)

Alternate ending
after the skeleton wakes up he sees a little guy in his room and starts chasing him, thus creating an infinite loop

My only question to you guys is, what should I title it? There's a big white space in the beginning I want to fill with a title.
I'd like it to be a skeleton pun. The best one I can think of is "Bone-Appetit"
But I feel like there's a much better one out there. Any suggestions?
>>
>>88246095
That's a pretty good one actually. You could also go with 'no stomach for it' or something.
>>
>>88246204
thank you
>>
File: comic sleepv2.png (496KB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
comic sleepv2.png
496KB, 1000x1414px
Just trying out some stuff.
Any critique is welcome.
>>
>>88246380
who's reccommending that weak-ass mess? I'm useless if I don't get my 10, 12 if I slept poorly the previous day
>>
>>88246380
is this comic about a gingerbread man? that'd be great
>>
File: AgrestPage007.png (3MB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
AgrestPage007.png
3MB, 2480x3508px
And here's Page 7 of Agrest the Thief.
>>
>>88246455
lovely backagrounds as usual
a page this size is a little hard to read but it displays properly on the site
>>
bewmp
i might actually finish this page early. exobably not though
>>
>>88246380
this could be turned into dobson edit
>>
>>88248874
isnt he that bear guy
>>
File: dobpat.jpg (2MB, 1250x5136px) Image search: [Google]
dobpat.jpg
2MB, 1250x5136px
>>88250255
>that bear guy
that's putting it nicely
>>
>>88246380
I like this, other than the character looking a little uncanny from being skin colored. Maybe make him pure white, or atleast give him hair

I also really love how the last two frames turn the bed sheets into the wallpaper. That was a really nice touch
>>
File: monsterlands.094.png (934KB, 792x1224px) Image search: [Google]
monsterlands.094.png
934KB, 792x1224px
http://www.monster-lands.com/

Kersha and the Necromancer face off against the Destructor and lose. Execution to follow.
>>
>>88253049
that first panel is some truly fantastic argument distilled into one exchange.
2nd panel's bent-forward neck is so damn perfectly over the top.
>>
File: p101.png (458KB, 660x1020px) Image search: [Google]
p101.png
458KB, 660x1020px
This took a turn
>>
File: image.png (988KB, 800x1035px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
988KB, 800x1035px
>>88246095
This is a great idea, anon. It would look really good if you kept it black & white ot monochromatic, I think,

>>88253049
Damn, this looks awesome! Snappy dialogue, strong figure silhouettes & line weight. Love it.

This page is kind of uneventful. But I'm glad to be free of the pink color scheme from the last scene. Is it considered rude to post links here? I never could tell.

I hope you're all doing well today. Have a good one /hyw/.

http://bicycleboy.webcomic.ws
>>
>>88254200
typical furries
>>
>>88254200
oh my.. just when I thought this guy couldn't get less sympathetic.
>>
>>88214484
>>88219219

you can tell from how you instinctively already know that the artist would be into edgy AU undertale skeleton dick porn without even checking their blog first
>>
File: 1480288417408.png (28KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1480288417408.png
28KB, 633x758px
>tfw your comic gets less views than your posts get replies
>>
Any chance of an invite to the discord chat? Please n' thanks.
>>
gruh
>>88255984
how do you invite to a discord anyway
>>
>>88258085

In the discord client, when you click on the name of the server around the upper left corner, it lets you invite people with a link you can post wherever. I believe it expires after 24 hours.
>>
>>88258174
what if I'm using it in a browser
>>
>>
>>88258321
>tfw too lazy to do funny shit like that
it's flowing better nowadays than ever in my life, but still not that well
>>
File: test1.png (17KB, 398x434px) Image search: [Google]
test1.png
17KB, 398x434px
>>88258231
It should still work exactly the same. At least, this is what it looks like when i tested it in-browser.
>>
>>88258742
Mine just has notification settings, privacy settings, leave server
>>
>>88258918

Someone has set up the permission settings so that only a few people can create invite links, then.
>>
just recorded myself naked for crotch area references. now i feel dirty.
>>
>>88259647
GIS is a thing, you know.
>>
>>88259647
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N?
>>
File: large.jpg (63KB, 394x526px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
63KB, 394x526px
Im falling for a girl my age whose fan of my comic blog. What do I do? I already exchange messages. How do I stop my perversion before its too late?
>>
>>88260265

Encourage yourself to develop a meaningful and mutually fulfilling relationship with this person

Also keep drawing comics.
>>
>>88259784
Never said I was a girl.
>>
File: 1479409364565.png (96KB, 382x491px) Image search: [Google]
1479409364565.png
96KB, 382x491px
>>88260265
>implying you have fans
>>
>>88260346
I'm sure you can find pictures of dicks on google if you try hard enough.
>>
>>88260386
Not even google, /hm/ will do.
>>
>>88260342
What if shes on the other opposite side of the world from me?
>>
>>88260442

Then just suffer, I guess.
>>
>>88260767
kill yourself you fucking loser
>>
Bump I guess.
The reading order of these panels is pretty clear, right?
>>
>>88262010
this is some wacky paneling
>>
>>88262096
Well the sequence isn't supposed to be particularly funny, but it is supposed to be chaotic.
>>
File: Bubsy.jpg (2MB, 2744x2766px) Image search: [Google]
Bubsy.jpg
2MB, 2744x2766px
>>88234559
Bro, you don't EVEN know.
>>
>>88262010
Too many panels with no room to breathe. Unless you're going to do something masterful with that, it looks more like you're copying strange panel designs instead of gauging what will lead your viewer's eye and convey things best.
>>
>>88263204
>Too many panels with no room to breathe.
Could you elaborate on what you mean? The narrow borders are there to make the transition from one panel to the next more abrupt. The things going on in the panels are gonna have plenty of breathing room.
>>
>>88263637
It's kind of hard to elaborate when I have no idea what you're planning to do. There are even two spots where I'm not even sure if you're making a gutter or a panel.

The tiny slivers of panels next to each other isn't terribly good looking, though. If you want to get attention, you're better off making them overlap more cleanly or push against each other.
>>
File: page 37.png (816KB, 1125x1650px) Image search: [Google]
page 37.png
816KB, 1125x1650px
Finished this page!
>>
>>88262257
uncomfortablyaroused.jpg
>>
>>88259647
dirty for owning a crotch? you can't have that removed, your legs will fall off
the only thing I'd worry about is now if anyone says your anatomy looks ugly/terrible/unrealistic you'll think you're a freak
>>
>>88260442
do both of you really like where you live? if not, no problem
>>88262010
all but the far right on the top row, which obviously wouldnt have much in it anyway.
>>88264919
that is one bendy spear. I feel like in the last panel he should be farting, like 'dammit and I was being so cool'
>>
File: ZYXCITY-69.png (686KB, 1200x1400px) Image search: [Google]
ZYXCITY-69.png
686KB, 1200x1400px
In today's comic, Liz and Mayor Oriolo briefly flashback to a few years prior.

>>
>>88262257
I wonder, where did this female Bubsy trend even start?

>>88267398
Tournaments, huh? I guess some sparring action would be good.
>>
>>88267398
Pretty buff for a kid-looking fella.
>>
File: Carrion Girls pg 2-26 wip 2h10.jpg (180KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Carrion Girls pg 2-26 wip 2h10.jpg
180KB, 1000x1500px
>>88264178
That's a good point. How is it with the art put in?
>>
File: IMG_2551.jpg (269KB, 963x1488px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2551.jpg
269KB, 963x1488px
>>88268410
Looks great with the art but why all the little wasted spaces? It looks distracting
>>
>>88269107
A, it adds more jagged lines, making the composition more chaotic-feeling
B, it helps avoid accidental tangents like the one between panel 1's tree and 4's kittycat
C, this way I can use border width to tell the reader which panel is next when it wouldn't be entirely clear otherwise (like with panels 7-9).
D, I've had gutters on every other page in the story so far, it would look weird if they suddenly vanished completely.
>>
File: pg7_prog.jpg (141KB, 1255x911px) Image search: [Google]
pg7_prog.jpg
141KB, 1255x911px
i'm playing around with some brushes and different looks

finally finished with school for the term, i'm gonna use the break to make a bunch of progress
>>
>>88269737
Brush looks pretty nice. Is this intended to get colored?
But try not to have your eyes directly touching the side of the head. It looks funny.

>moezy
Shouldn't that be "mosey"?
>>
File: page_006.png (3MB, 2508x4119px) Image search: [Google]
page_006.png
3MB, 2508x4119px
>>88269737
prev page
>>
>>88269820
nah its gonna be black and white
>mosey
fuck, i already merged the layers
>>
>>88269885
meh. select the e and z, switch their positions... that's close enough.
>>
File: pg7_prog.jpg (214KB, 1477x773px) Image search: [Google]
pg7_prog.jpg
214KB, 1477x773px
>>88269737
gettin there
>>
>>88251600
Thanks for the feedback, that actually helps!

>>88246446
Not a bad idea.

>>88246421
That explains me slowly dying.
>>
File: 1481218143726.png (756KB, 1125x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1481218143726.png
756KB, 1125x1650px
>>88264919
>>
File: Sensible Chucky.jpg (517KB, 787x591px) Image search: [Google]
Sensible Chucky.jpg
517KB, 787x591px
>>88271057
>>
>>88271057
Lol, u got me good mang.
>>
burp
>>
File: page08.jpg (247KB, 595x842px) Image search: [Google]
page08.jpg
247KB, 595x842px
I've recently finished my entry to the newest issue of Premier Comics (Which you should read, plug plug) and am taking some time off for the holidays before getting to work on another story in the new year. Been mostly focused on writing for the moment.
>>
>>88272361
hmm, is the jagged thing in panel 4 meant to be just action? because it kinda looks like the wall has broken open
>>
>>88272772

Just supposed to be an abstract burst to represent the force with which he shouldered her. I probably could have done better to render it but at the time I couldn't think of a better way to convey it.
>>
So... new thread when?
>>
>>88273170
Threads on /co/ go to like, 500 nowadays.
>>
>>88273170
About 250 more posts

thread limits were extended to 500 my dude.
>>
File: 20161209_000840.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161209_000840.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Once I finish outlining an arc, I draw the cover for it and paint it with watercolor

I really got no idea if this is really gonna take off, but I enjoy drawing and writing the story out
>>
>>88233870
>Why not improve yourself to DC or Marvel tier artists?

so complete shit tier?
>>
File: 1334091391369.png (275KB, 421x427px) Image search: [Google]
1334091391369.png
275KB, 421x427px
>>88273773
>hyw calling anyone shit tier
>>
>>88273928
Reminder usually at least 3 people do the art for one comic page in a mainstream comic/manga!
>>
>>88274301
>picking the low hanging fruit outlier
Even then there's maybe 3 regulars in HYW that can draw better than that.
>>
File: maxresdefault (4).jpg (80KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (4).jpg
80KB, 1920x1080px
>>88234559
wow I feel sad for not having a comic to be made fun of.

Thats fucking sad
>>
File: 201603_1131_bfdcb_sm.png (24KB, 300x255px) Image search: [Google]
201603_1131_bfdcb_sm.png
24KB, 300x255px
what happened to miss melee? how many regulars have dropped?
>>
>>88274379
I had to pick low one to make myself fell better!

But how many dicks had to be sucked for that artist to be hired!
>>
File: rococo 01_53_wip2016DEC08.jpg (339KB, 779x1100px) Image search: [Google]
rococo 01_53_wip2016DEC08.jpg
339KB, 779x1100px
>>88258434
I think I only understand half of what you posted. It feels like you were talking to someone else.

WIP of the final page of first chapter... I think this page have more useful information than the rest of the chapter combine...
>>
>>88274444
I believe in you, Sally. If you knuckle down and apply yourself, I know in my heart that one day, you can become the object of internet ridicule you always dreamed of being.
>>
>>88274301
only one of them is drawing it though. it would be weird otherwise. it's not that weird that someone else colors it and a third person does.. yknow, pickup.
>>
>>88274715
you did a funny thing. a little comic done just to make fun of yourself. my ability to just up-and-draw is flowing better than it ever has, but not well enough to do things like that. and I wish it was. because that's great and funny... and satisfying?
>>
>>88274379

I count seven just in this thread.

>>88274715
>>88268410
>>88254249
>>88253049
>>88227445
>>88223483
>>88201309

I can think of three other regulars off the top of my head that aren't in this thread (Spacepirate, Sandra&Woo guy, and Demon's Mirror guy)
>>
File: oNE Design #1 Form.png (365KB, 1500x1200px) Image search: [Google]
oNE Design #1 Form.png
365KB, 1500x1200px
>>88201967
>>88223791
>>88225827
So I've been ponder on which design I'd pick for oNE (The pokemon rip off in the comic). I really like them both but i lean toward number 1 more because Idk... just feels OKAY.

>In short which would you pick, mind you this comic is dynamic (action/adventure manga type) and really psychedelic with it's visuals (or that's the plan at least) in some parts so i want this character to be nice looking along with the 4 dimensional shifting and cosmic irregularities in the comic.
>>
File: 1467223851956.png (148KB, 645x772px) Image search: [Google]
1467223851956.png
148KB, 645x772px
>>88275121
>tfw didn't make the cut
>>
>>88275317
I like the pages you have already drawn, using the second model. it's funny because it's just a little fella. the other is more generic and far more human, so.. I dunno, what's the actual role? if he's gonna be fighting then yeah a longer limbed one is better.
>>
>>88275496
I only pointed out ones that were clearly and unarguably better.
Even most of the ones I didn't mention I still like better than Squirrel Girl's art, because my GOD Squirrel Girl has some hideous faces in it.
>>
>>88275738
In the Universe there is one main "Gained" Ability that all creatures can use. and every individual Race has used it in their own unique way to advance and evolve.

Their are Massive amounts of Universal Companies that visit planets and recruit them.

I focus on the left more>>88275317
because it fits the combat more, BUT i had a different fighting style for the little one.
>>
>>88275909
Don't pander. He's probably shit
>>
>>88275976
I'm lost, man. But have fun with it
>>
>>88276543
I really do suck at explaining something huh? well it'll make more sense once the pages are finalize, but i guess the left one will do for now.
>>
File: characterhead.jpg (256KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
characterhead.jpg
256KB, 1000x1500px
How are these panels looking? I've been trying to find a way to throw some "A E S T H E T I C S" into them and I think the purple/blue/yellow really help
>>
File: oNE Design #1.png (666KB, 1500x1200px) Image search: [Google]
oNE Design #1.png
666KB, 1500x1200px
My god the idea i have for a villain seems so great to me but it might have been done already.

Clue to his power is in the drawing... and he literally says it.

>also the MC design is this, unless I'm persuaded to little guy...
>>
>>88277073
i dont see any blue or yellow.. and i'm not sure what to say really except that these people are pretty neat and varying.. though top left and bottom right's bodies blend into the background a bit too well. that might be unavoidable since black backgrounds are cool and it's unrealistic NOT to have people wearing black
>>
>>88278106
did you draw all this just now?
>>
>>88278291
yeah why?

Did i do the bad?
>>
>>88278369
youre really damn impressive, pippi. you're my favorite just-got-here person.
>>
>>88278257
Ah, i'm not too worried about the black clothing since the character backgrounds are mostly for show and won't be in the actual comic too much, although it does make me consider the potential problem that would come with that, thank you!
>>
mergencybump
>>
>>88275121
LOL. No.

Jesus, learn to see.
>>
>>88271057
>This individual wants to make an "Art Police" video series
>>
>>88281294
>"Art Police" video series
wat
>>
>>88281467
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtmifKxjXgk
>>
>>88281512
Awful, how is his art still so bad?
>>
>>88281294
I love that you follow him so closely that you know about this thing
but now thanks to you I've checked it out
within the first few seconds, it has said its own title wrong and admitted to being basically a ripoff of something else. I am laughing my ass off, I love this.
>I'll give it a score out of 10.. or.. out of 5, or whatever
Dewd is a fucking master, dammit. If not giving a fuck, in style, was an art form, he'd be goddamn rembrandt brown from Sliders.
>>
>>88281870
One of you fucking name faggots happens to be a friend of mine (sorta) and he had to come to me with the news, so no, I don't follow him, but I'll take your gratitude for signal boosting it.
>>
>>88281512
>he sounds exactly how I could have imagined

So what's going to be on the list for review?

All the old HYW favorites, I hope.
>>
File: 20161208.jpg (892KB, 900x2605px) Image search: [Google]
20161208.jpg
892KB, 900x2605px
Just to clear it up after the last joke, there is no actual dressing room. If you're fancy enough to feel the need to hide, you probably don't shop here in this marketplace i've still neglected to name
yet another bit of adventure that Kaen hasn't caught up on yet, even after all these years.. man, they got a LOT in before they met him.
>>
>>88282763
this gives me adventure quest vibes
please learn about colors
>>
File: hd rocks.png (292KB, 973x559px) Image search: [Google]
hd rocks.png
292KB, 973x559px
i like the look of this panel, and its taking less time and less pain to make the rocks look this way

>>88278106
cool
>>88277073
cool but also edgy
>>
>>88282868
yeahh a lot of the choices I made, I made while my monitor was severely miscalibrated, and now I'm kinda stuck with them.. but I know they're a little BLARING in parts.
I'm still learning better color theory, but it's hard since I have the visual equivalent of relative pitch. i 'transpose' too easily to see the absolute value of colors when filters are being used. Also, when I first started learning the very basics of color filtering (for example, that it exists. i seriously never noticed it before) I was in the midst of developing severe cataracts, so that didn't help. I kinda lost my sense of subtle contrast for a while.
is there anything specific that's bothering you besides oversaturation? "learn about colors" is a tad vague. I'm going to apply everything I learn to the next iteration of the comic, and to other shit that I draw.
>>
>>88282950
sweet rocks bro. Loving those jagged shapes. positively toriyama-tier.
>>
File: list.png (11KB, 318x363px) Image search: [Google]
list.png
11KB, 318x363px
>>88281870
>>88281989
>>88282715
I love that you guys love me and care about my work so much!

Since you careabout my works so much, I'll give you a special to do list of what I plan to do.

Dumbing of age is in it's own little space because I've decided I'll tackle that when I've gotten better at video editing and reveiwing in gereal.
>>
>>88283348
yus! thats who i studied to figure out how to draw these anyway. dbz rocks are the topest of tiers
>>
>>88273233
Fuck I've been gone For too long.
>>
File: 1481212683807.jpg (776KB, 682x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1481212683807.jpg
776KB, 682x1024px
>>88283327
over saturation is the most obvious, but a really painful one is the lack of coordination. just on one character you have bright orange, deep green and blue, flesh tone, black and white. its just the overall chaos of color, there's no coordination, balance or unity in any panel. you've got a purple building with three different hues of green stands in front of it, a grey building with a deep blue door and then a dark green building.

check out pic related (I just pulled a random example out of the catalog)
the entire background uses shades of roughly the same color blue, and those colors even make their way onto the character's hat and shoes. This gives the entire piece a sense of balance. the only part that has a different color is the red on his shirt and pants, and notice how the pants aren't brown, just a darker shade of red. this provides a focal point and draws your eye to the subject.

I know its one thing to know these terms and think about what they mean, its a whole other ball game to actually implement them into your drawing, especially if you have hardware or physical disabilities. But just be conscious of these things and try to focus on it as much as you can while coloring and slowly it will become more intuitive.
>>
>>88283496
blank space the cartoon?
i didnt know you read beyond the canopy. i dig that comic though, much like paranatural, once I caught up on the archive binge and the stories started getting all epic, I lost complete track of what it was about.
unlike paranatural though I didn't quit it because it didnt start going in certain directions
>>
>>88283496
Start with yours first
>>
>>88284116
Ah, no, It's supposed to be Ctrl Alt Delete the cartoon.

And yeah, I did read beyond the canopy, and it was actually pretty good for the first 400 pages but then it turned to utter shit and fell into the same problems modern paranatural does now, gradient backgrounds and less detailed art.

Also now it's going in a very exposition heavy phase where it's trying to explain every kingdom in one chapter.
>>
>>88283590
such sweet rocks
>>88284105
>Orange
uhh, anon? that's CMYK red. Does it really look bad? Originally he always wore dark blue and purple, as I thought they looked nice with his hair and suited his personality and character (royal colors for a prince). then I gave him some shiny new armor but had it immediately dyed black so it would be easier to draw.. then he got a suit of nice green armor, which again I thought looked really good with red, dark blue, and purple.. and then I had this beta drawing for a pure black and white armor because that would be REALLY easy to color.. but I decided to change that up to add in some dark green and let him keep the blue pants. The idea was to look a little like the Inferno armor in Ronin Warriors, or even moreso Extradimensional Supplier Kabuto since it's beetle-themed armor.. and then when I put a tunic under parts of it I was like 'fuckit, Link wears one of those. make it green'

as for the buildings, I mean, buildings are so boring they're hard to pay attention to, but there's no reason they couldn't be all different colors, right? they just painted them that way. I try never to let 'thematic' stuff get in the way of depicting things as they would be in real life (at least according to the rules and logic of the setting) so if that's what you're getting at, I'm going to have to politely decline, because I did that intentionally. when I looked up a reference for this marketplace (agrabah, at least for the establishing shot) it was all this muddled mixture of light browns with orange and red... and I knew if I did that, it would blur together and become unpleasant and confusing. This way, you know for sure if there's a new color in the background, they have moved. and if there's not, they haven't. same location. and actually, the ref I ended up using WASN'T from the disney version, but instead this other thing.. where they're all different colors. way more distinct.
>>
File: spritesbigger.png (23KB, 1188x357px) Image search: [Google]
spritesbigger.png
23KB, 1188x357px
>>88284826
the one thing I regret is how light in skin tone everyone is. on my old monitor, they all looked very different, with Robin being conspicuously pale (being a redhead) and having a pinker tone, while Kimchi and Kaen have a more yellow tone.. and in the old comic I tried making one character more golden tanned than the others.
but are these color schemes really bad? I thought I balanced them pretty nicely. Mizu used to copy Trunks' outfit, but now she has nice shades of blue because it's her theme.. Kimchi has been wearing two shades of green forever, used to have a burnt-piss-yellow belt.. This picture's a bit out of date now, but I think it generally represents my color-coordinating ability. the only one I ever really thoroughly regretted is that period where Sasha was wearing a brown coconut shell bra paired with a light brown leather loincloth. those two shades of brown did NOT complement her skin, hair, and eyes... nor her character. Plus they didn't really stay on when she transformed. but I thought the following, the light mint and lavender silk scarves, was better..
>>
File: 20130825.jpg (430KB, 700x1173px) Image search: [Google]
20130825.jpg
430KB, 700x1173px
>>88284897
whereas the color scheme of the old cast (in a much newer comic, but eyedropped from the old art, though at the time the comic wasn't colored, but y'know I still colored them sometimes for other things) was on yet another monitor and.. yeah it kinda looked different at the time. It wasn't always totally consistent. but this comic has all the old cast in their old colors and I think they work pretty well too.. maybe my coordination aint any good, but I pretty much copy shit I like. and I DO have a sense of "that color scheme is bad" that I do employ.. is it possible this is a taste issue?
I know it always wiggled me slightly that goku's outfit can be blazing orange and jet black or deep red and bright royal blue, depending on the artist.. the latter looks better but the former is just more 'goku' somehow

I'll stop blathering now in case it's getting very annoys. gotta sleep anyhow.
>>
>>88285025
ah fuck except one more thing I wanted to note is how annoying it was coloring Lobster because lobsters are such a dark red brown, it makes it hard to see any of the nice little detail I put into him, which always showed up so nicely in the old pencil-drawn days. plus it makes him blend in too well with dark backgrounds. meh. also Ribbon had similar trouble being all pastel and outlineless, not showing up well against the sky..
anyway I found a coloring error on this very page (already fixed before posting), so if nothing else the discussion helped that
>>
>>88284826
>>88285025
its all subjective really. if you like vibrant, clashing colors and know what you're doing, then keep at it. but the utter chaos of the look will come off as amateurish to most. you're trying to make everything stand out visually but you're not paying enough attention to whether or not each element fits together. there's a way to accomplish both, and that makes the difference in appearance between the uninitiated.
>>
File: the gang 1.png (376KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
the gang 1.png
376KB, 1080x720px
An image for my new series.

At one point in the intro, the main characters are gonna look at a scrap book.
>>
File: The Cool Guys.png (1MB, 2000x2087px) Image search: [Google]
The Cool Guys.png
1MB, 2000x2087px
I haven't posted in these threads in a while, so might as well post some garbage again
How do these characters look? I want to know if you guys like this dumb artistic style I've developed over the past couple of years.

Also if anyone is wondering, these characters are just side characters in a series I'm almost done drawing together
>>
File: 20161122.jpg (882KB, 900x2478px) Image search: [Google]
20161122.jpg
882KB, 900x2478px
>>88285207
alright I'll try to pay more attention. It's hard with things like buildings, but if it's getting distracting then that's no good.
there have been a few times when I tried to make all the background buildings and features similar in value or much subtler hue-variations of a basic range, but only in special circumstances where I thought it was merited. I don't think it's a good idea to do it all the time.
I'm looking at the first establishing panel (6) I did for this very same marketplace and it does kinda look better.

As did the woods. But just like this, the woods changed to multiple haphazard trees of all different hues (including a palm tree so there could be coconut-throws) in the next comic. THAT time was intentional, because that's how I'd established the forest looking the last time they were there, and I'd only just decided that's where they were.. I think REAL webcomic artists plan better. Or maybe they just hold themselves less firmly to their prior not-well-thought-out decisions out of obsession for consistency.
>>
>>88285245
they're pretty cool alright.. though I prefer sunglasses with either a small nose notch or two very separate lenses connected with a small bridge. This square nose-notch is something I've not seen before, and it kinda just points out how four of them have no noses and the last one has a nose that it shouldn't logically fit on...
In any case, the indigo guy is kinda hard to tell what he even is or what I'm looking at. The others have more form to them, and are passable. as for the style, I mean, it reminds me of early newgrounds. Is that what you were going for?
>>
File: 1433094340113.gif (646KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1433094340113.gif
646KB, 320x240px
>>88285322
I would have fixed the glasses a long time ago, but I've drawn them like that long enough that I've come to accept it as some weirdly shaped uniform they all wear. I can see why you say it looks weird though.

The indigo guy is supposed to be a slime/pudding sortof creature. It would be a little easier to tell what he is if he wasn't in an oval
And for the style, everyone always tells me that my style looks like either early newgrounds or paper mario. I honestly take either as compliments.
>>
I keep procrastinating on work because I want to keep working on my comic projects. How do I stop?
>>
>>88285410
gotta play to your strengths, man. The important thing is you aren't drawing newgrounds and then expecting people to get a hellboy vibe or something.
>>88285419
stop? are you mad?
>>
>>88285419
Amateur hobby comics don't pay the bills. Unless you're questionable content, I guess.
>>
File: Cool Wizard Friend.png (1MB, 2300x2676px) Image search: [Google]
Cool Wizard Friend.png
1MB, 2300x2676px
>>88285436
Thanks for the encouragement dude.
I'm almost done with the first part of my awful webcomic. Once I finish (which I hope will be before the year ends), I'll gladly share it all with /hyw/ to see if they might possibly enjoy my stuff.
>>
File: Analogous.gif (6KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
Analogous.gif
6KB, 180x180px
>>88285299
yeah, no joke this page looks way better. in the woods you have the orange and brown tones bookending the grey trees. the characters then have a more cohesive environment to exist in and actually pop, rather than being amidst a whirlwind of colors and stand out as just another high-band of contrast.
the pink girl has the best scheme imo because its analagous colors. theres lots of ways to set up schemes, some good, some close-but-no-cigar and some just bad.
I would have this page open whenever you're coloring ever: http://www.tigercolor.com/color-lab/color-theory/color-theory-intro.htm
planning is important but if you just want to make something wacky it can be fun to just go in blind. when I make comics I typically have a vague idea and string bits and pieces together as I go, but as I draw I learn stuff and improve so the style is always changing. but i think most comic connoisseurs consider that bad form? idk, I really like to see the improvement from page 1 vs page 100.
>>
>>88273928
hyw does not dominate the entire western comic's market
>>
>>88286812
As far as you know, loser
>>
>>88287199
embarrassing
>>
File: 1cs.png (575KB, 714x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1cs.png
575KB, 714x1000px
I honestly wish I could create the comic I wanted, but web comic artists have the patience I lack to improve.
>>
>>88287837
For a skele she sure has a lot of flesh on her hips, hope she's a powerhouse.

Is this your's?
>>
File: AB0068.png (30KB, 975x530px) Image search: [Google]
AB0068.png
30KB, 975x530px
I asked around and people think I need some more expository, so I'm trying to build up and anticipate the arrival of the other main character.

Although I still want to leave somethings that could go either way.

Thoughts?
>>
>>88288490
Skele, you meaning skeleton? And yes it's mine. Something for a small tournament.
>>
File: oct 1.jpg (832KB, 1269x1795px) Image search: [Google]
oct 1.jpg
832KB, 1269x1795px
Alright, gonna post some of my first comic for some much needed criticism as well as bumping the thread
>>
File: oct 2.jpg (1MB, 1269x1795px) Image search: [Google]
oct 2.jpg
1MB, 1269x1795px
>>88288756
>>
>>88288756
The art is workable, but you really need to work on your composition.

>panel 1
I had to read the page four or five times trying to make sense of it before I noticed the tiny tiny black figure on the giant's hand.
How to fix: First off, don't place the important elements of a panel out near the edge like that. Somewhere closer to one-third into the panel or around the golden mean is way more attention-grabbing. Second, don't put a tiny black dot in front of a dark background if you want the audience to see the black dot, especially when it's surrounded by the noise of the outline of the hand. Make the figure bright or make the background bright.
Also, aside from the hard-to-notice figure, there's nothing to indicate the scale of the giant. For all the reader knows, the mountain peak the giant is leaning against could be just a man-sized rock.

>panel 2:
You flip the camera around nearly 180 degrees from one panel to the next. That's really disorienting. In addition, the fact that the mountains are in about the same spot are likely to make readers think the camera hasn't moved much. I thought for sure the horned guy was as big as the giant and was standing across from it.

>panel 3
I guess the ground is supposed to be shaking at the robed figure's feet? There's not much contrast between his robe and the rocks.
A sound effect like "rrrrumble" would not be out of place.

>panel 4
Again, you're flipping the camera 180 degrees horizontal from one panel to the next
The composition isn't too bad in and of itself, but the robed figure needs to stand out more. Not a flaw, but note how much easier it is to understand the scale of things when we've got things we know the size of to compare, like those trees in the background.
>>
>>88289278
1, I really thought that the mountain he leaning against is massive because how it contrast to the others. Guess I should have brighten up the hooded figure huh?.
2, Sorry, I was lazy at a time and don't want to do a zoom in to the figure so I just do a 180 degrees
3. What would be a good contrast between the robe and the rock? and where do I find a list of SFX?
4, Thanks, I will put more background stuffs
>>
>>88287837
Don't be hard on yourself i actually really like this, looks great
>>
File: oct 3'.jpg (1MB, 1269x1795px) Image search: [Google]
oct 3'.jpg
1MB, 1269x1795px
>>88289068
I think I just break his neck
>>
File: oct 04.jpg (1MB, 1269x1795px) Image search: [Google]
oct 04.jpg
1MB, 1269x1795px
>>88289556
>>
>>88288756
1) A Dead? Soldier leaning against a rock
2) His murderer/bad guy standing over his body looking down at him
3) an overhead view of a black River with large boulders? Did not get that this was the ground/his robe
4) I can just barely make out the robes guy, aerial view of the mountain cliff over a pool of red stuff? The angle hurts to look at
5,6) arms, legs
7) oh that red pool was these soldiers? Reminds me of laser cheese. Why is the soldier so big now? It's strange looking, does not seem like a giant towering structure of that's what it's supposed to be. I think it's his armor looks too plain, too smooth to be something of that size. Also "built" and you capitalize random words, why?
8++ pretty good, if not too anime. Many questionable word choices (gun with bullets?) And spelling mistakes (misreables). Wait is this read right to left?
>>
>>88290021
1, Its a Statue
Alright, I should draw mor arms and legs.
What is Laser cheese?
Probably a typo, I didn't mean to Capitalize random words
Yeah, its right to left. And why is it....too anime?
>>
>>88288692
>Although I still want to leave somethings that could go either way.
What do you mean?
>>
>>88289556
I don't think he has a neck, anon.
He looks like a penis monster.
>>
>>88290495
So, bigger shoulder and jaw?
>>
>>88289556
You spelt thief on last panel wrong easy fix.
>>88289916
Those bullets move at break neck speed, by that I mean main guys neck is either broken, on some panels or none existent on others. Great job with the environment though I love snowy settings, make sure to add blood to snow.
>>
File: oct 05.jpg (1MB, 1269x1795px) Image search: [Google]
oct 05.jpg
1MB, 1269x1795px
>>88290812
Ah well, the neck is the result of me drawing the fur collar for the first time, don't worry, more to come
>>
File: oct 06.jpg (1MB, 1269x1795px) Image search: [Google]
oct 06.jpg
1MB, 1269x1795px
>>88290853
>>
>>88290518
No, I mean he looks like a penis with a wig.

It looks wrong because you're trying to tackle the character and clothing at once. Try actually drawing the character and pose and THEN draw his coat over him. If you think "But I did that" then look up references for necks. They tend to not be wider than your hair or have giant veins bulging up from the collarbone.
>>
>>88291257
Thanks, bud, will try to draw the neck less like a penis. The veins from the collarbone is probably of all the bara shit I was watching when I draw that
>>
File: image.jpg (143KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143KB, 960x720px
Just working.
>>
>>88290853
>>88290973
A bit of advice on internal wounds, seeing as said thief got a kidney shot he shouldn't be coughing up blood. Usually long shots and and rare occasions stomach or intestinal shot cause blood to exit orally.
>>
File: ss+(2016-12-09+at+11.12.26).png (7KB, 216x219px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-12-09+at+11.12.26).png
7KB, 216x219px
http://luckyhazard.the-comic.org/

small 4koma update this week. the plot will resume next week!
>>
>>88291452
>stomach or intestinal shot cause blood to exit orally.
That would be more like puking blood than coughing it up, no?
>>
>>88291340
Oh my god. Look at his Butt.
>>
Been meaning to start my own webcomic, don't got much of a plot except that my main character is a genocidal irredeemable fuck and that I don't want him to die at the end, how do you save this?
>>
>>88292861
>genocidal irredeemable fuck
Sounds like it would be really edgy. And audience won't like a character that is completely unrelatable.
>>
>>88293406
It's not really that edgy, he is like an undead midget, I swear he is likable.
>>
>>88292861
>how do you save this
Either have him chill out by the end, make him alive but miserable, or give him a happy ending the acknowledges just how fucking unfair and unjust it is.
>>
>>88293541
Nice, this was what I needed
>>
>>88285516
yeah Riven (the pink girl) is the biggest outlier since her outfit has always been roughly the same colors, but changed slightly over time.. her current outfit was meant to be a lot darker and more saturated. That was right when I got my cataracts fixed and suddenly realized she's wearing this really blah shade of blue when it should look like dark navy with a dark wine colored tunic..
I like the idea of sticking with just a few colors to maintain a scheme, particularly since that makes them easier to color later. Right now Hel is kicking my ass because she has two-toned hair, fur, skin, two colors of clothing, a bell collar, foot wraps, and a vine anklet. it's kinda too much.
>>
File: page 38.png (922KB, 1125x1650px) Image search: [Google]
page 38.png
922KB, 1125x1650px
WIP of the next page!
>>
>>88294023
9th panel, one of the tireds you wrote 'tried'

also her belt seems to be just plumb gone at this point
>>
>>88294287
Shut up coldfusion
>>
>>88292861
Start by actually having a theme or idea you want to explore via this narrative.
>>
File: 1471658735388.jpg (12KB, 292x282px) Image search: [Google]
1471658735388.jpg
12KB, 292x282px
>>88295267
I do, I just didn't want to make too long of a comment, it's about lichdom and ethics, the character is one of the strongest lichs in the world, yada yada.
>>
>>88295324
That's not really what I meant by theme, but sure.
>>
>>88295446
You meant a theme as in: "The main character does anything he needs to in order to extend his life, even if that means killing the innocent and how that would fuck him up psychologically, etc." kind of theme?
>>
>>88295545
Not...exactly?
I mean like how most stories have a core focus or allegorical element that serves as the heart of what you're trying to say.

Like how Morrison's Animal Man is very much about family, identity and existentialism, The Maxx has a theme of "home", the subconscious and justification, or Robocop is about identity and the corporate machine. If you're going for drama over comedy you usually want to understand the underlying theme of your work so you can analyze what your thoughts are, what you want to express, how you want to express it, how it relates to your characters, etc.

So not so much your blurb as the idea that you wanna talk about mortality.
>>
Is TopWebComics any good for actually getting your work seen?
>>
File: x02 Ghutatan the moe girl.jpg (133KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
x02 Ghutatan the moe girl.jpg
133KB, 1280x720px
>>88295770

Alrighty, i'm sold, enlighten me on how do I go about arriving to a great theme
>>
File: 1248546877237.png (2KB, 299x276px) Image search: [Google]
1248546877237.png
2KB, 299x276px
>>88295770
I'm still waiting
>>
>>88296024
>>88296570
Not that guy, but if you haven't read "invisible ink" up in the OP, I heartily recommend it.
>>
File: oct 07.jpg (2MB, 1269x3590px) Image search: [Google]
oct 07.jpg
2MB, 1269x3590px
>>88290973
>>
>>88297178
>>
File: oct 08.jpg (741KB, 1269x1795px) Image search: [Google]
oct 08.jpg
741KB, 1269x1795px
>>88297178
last page
>>
File: 2cr.png (351KB, 722x917px) Image search: [Google]
2cr.png
351KB, 722x917px
>>88289531
I don't think I'm awful by any means. But my story telling is subpar at best if not absolutely absent. I feel like that is more important then artistic skill.
>>
>>88297359
Not in this generation. There was a time in early comics, especially in the east, that shitty artwork could be carried by great stories (FKMT). But nowadays there's so much free shit simply a click away that you're competing with countless other amateurs and masters alike.

If it looks like shit, most people will ignore it.
>>
File: 3cr.png (423KB, 552x1041px) Image search: [Google]
3cr.png
423KB, 552x1041px
>>88297448
well that just sounds like a polished turd and I want no part of it haha
>>
>>88295936
definitely, if your comic gets in the top 200 at least. My comic sits at around #110-#140, and TWC is my top referreral site by a landslide.
>>
>>88298267
Miss Melee?
>>
File: page 38.png (1MB, 1125x1650px) Image search: [Google]
page 38.png
1MB, 1125x1650px
Finished this page!

Decided to have this one be shaded.
>>
>Pun in the 'next time' on today's The Sisters
god damn you I was using those sides
>>
>>88299169
how come so many of our regulars stopped posting here? sisters, ms melee, etc
>>
>>88299258
We already have your attention elsewhere.
>>
>>88299395
feels bad though, like watching people leaving. is it because these threads are shit?
>>
>>88299724
Yes.
>>
I miss when we did activities and fanarts
>>
File: Fanart.png (555KB, 1269x1795px) Image search: [Google]
Fanart.png
555KB, 1269x1795px
>>88299957
Like this...>>88288756
I love practicing, so i took anon comic and tried to recreate it. also fan of snowy backgrounds...
>>
>>88300036
Sorry it's not color it was gonna be a surprise!...

SURPRISE!
>>
>>88199184
Hey guys can I post in here even if I dont make webcomics (yet)? Especially if yall are having fun doing light drawings and stuff
>>
>>88300075
Yeah, sure. Oc or Work on your art thread is no where to be found anyway
>>
>>88300036
Jesus Fucking Christ, Shit is fucking sick, yo.
Alright, I will made something for you too
>>
>>88300075
we'd love to help you plan one
>>
File: Prometheus Cover page_SMALL_2.jpg (380KB, 652x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus Cover page_SMALL_2.jpg
380KB, 652x1000px
Finished part 1 of a short story, will post the pages
>>
File: Prometheus page 1_SMALL.jpg (1MB, 940x1329px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus page 1_SMALL.jpg
1MB, 940x1329px
>>88300659
>>
File: Prometheus page 2_SMALL.jpg (829KB, 940x1329px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus page 2_SMALL.jpg
829KB, 940x1329px
>>88300770
the captcha keeps expiring by the time this thing is ready to post
>>
File: Prometheus page 3_SMALL.jpg (703KB, 940x1329px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus page 3_SMALL.jpg
703KB, 940x1329px
>>88301010
about time
>>
File: Prometheus page 4_SMALL.jpg (244KB, 940x1329px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus page 4_SMALL.jpg
244KB, 940x1329px
>>88301056
>>
File: Prometheus page 5_SMALL.jpg (458KB, 940x1329px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus page 5_SMALL.jpg
458KB, 940x1329px
>>88301112
>>
>>88300659
>>88300770
>>88301010
>>88301056
>>88301112
>>88301173
Are you Garresh? This is really good Anon.
>>
File: Prometheus page 6_SMALL.jpg (509KB, 940x1329px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus page 6_SMALL.jpg
509KB, 940x1329px
>>88301173
>>
File: Prometheus page 7_SMALL.jpg (548KB, 940x1329px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus page 7_SMALL.jpg
548KB, 940x1329px
>>88301259
>>88301248
Yeah i am, thanks
>>
File: Prometheus page 8_SMALL.jpg (104KB, 940x1329px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus page 8_SMALL.jpg
104KB, 940x1329px
>>88301304
And this is the end of part 1 BYE BYE
>>
>>88301010
yeah I don't do the captcha til i'm ready to post, for that reason. no point in being ahead. though you can shift-enter to cache them if you're using the same extension
>>
>>88301173
hehe, derp
>>88301259
gettin some solid jesse moynihan vibes
>>
File: ProfessionalsWearSweaters.jpg (721KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ProfessionalsWearSweaters.jpg
721KB, 1920x1080px
I wanted to make dumb fun action

>A genius nerd employed at a government corporation dedicated to developing cybernetic super soldiers has his life's work stolen by his best friend and subsequently gets fired. Driven by his rage, he spends fifteen years developing a machine capable of creating a synthetic replica of any living thing in history complete with their past and experiences. The goal is to assemble a crack team of the greatest thieves in history to break into his former place of work, and implant a virus capable of destroying every piece of technology on the network built with his stolen work.
>>
>>88303508
>dumb fun action
sad because a lot of the concepts in that would be intriguing if done really intelligently.. as it is, that's kind of a generic revenge story
>>
>>88303628

>a lot of the concepts in that would be intriguing if done really intelligently

There's a little more to it, but still not really intelligent, just things that would be a given. Like the thieves wanting to get back to their own time because they're under the impression that they've time traveled. They're each individually coping to the shift in times, and it would have to be that way, because the main character is under the impression that raw talent needs to come from experience.

Really though it's just an excuse for me to write a bunch of different characters, and a bunch of crazy sci-fi.
>>
>>88303814
oh okay that sounsd pretty fun then
>>
File: ZYXCITY-70.png (637KB, 1200x1400px) Image search: [Google]
ZYXCITY-70.png
637KB, 1200x1400px
In today's comic, Liz learns that the Zyx City Tournament is returning. Who will be participating in this city-wide event? Find out, next week!

>>
>>88304003
>Tournament Arc

Make sure these fights aren't long winded and boring, and maybe this'll be good.
>>
>>88304003
This is the second time you've drawn his eyes all pink like this. Is he constantly high or what?
>>
File: oppressive regime tyrant.jpg (5KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
oppressive regime tyrant.jpg
5KB, 272x185px
>>88304078
>maybe this'll be good.
who are you kidding?
>>
>>88304134
My Hero Acadamia's tourney arc was pretty good.
>>
File: ZYXCITY-18.png (372KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ZYXCITY-18.png
372KB, 1000x1200px
>>88304124
It's mostly a stylistic close-up type of thing.
>>
>>88304078
>>88304134
>>88304289
And mine is going well too!
>>
>>88304124
looks orange to me. i'd worry more about his liver
>>88304425
Oh I see, he normally has no sclerae, so when you want to add them for emphasis, you only put them at partial opacity, so to speak. i'm not sure if that works if you also detail the irides...
>>
>>88304289
My Hero Acadamia isn't written/drawn by a 9 year old
>>
>>88298267
Bicycle Boy.
Though I imagine Miss Melee is around the same place.
>>
>>88306137
Shit, meant to reply to
>>88298328
>>
File: 1455839384904.jpg (126KB, 841x797px) Image search: [Google]
1455839384904.jpg
126KB, 841x797px
>tfw someone shits on your comic
>>
>>88301304
If you're drawing the peen, you have to draw the vagoo too. Don't be sexist.
>>
>>88307144
technically he only drew it on the human, while both the male and female gods were indistinct in the junk region
>>
>>88304003
Nice detail on that expression. Hope to see more detail like that in the rest of the comic.
>>
ugh, right before bed is not a good time to be wrestling over complex designs for a mechanical character. I think I have it now though
>>
>>88309073
>>88277073
GOD I LOVE IT good job mate , really digging the style getting some small mignola vibes!
>>
File: 1471719425502.png (164KB, 337x251px) Image search: [Google]
1471719425502.png
164KB, 337x251px
>>88307339
>tfw you become god, but no peepee.
>>
>>88277073
Love these,
>>
File: 1456769694207.png (345KB, 481x481px) Image search: [Google]
1456769694207.png
345KB, 481x481px
Do contours come first before drawing, or landmarks?
>>
>>88312299
If you haven't put down your landmarks, how will you know where the contours should go?
>>
>>88312299
1. Gesture
2. Landmarks (to place forms correctly)
3. Form (based on anatomy)

Creating contour for you imaginative/ stylized drawings is always the last step. Once you understand the underlying forms you can give your linework a sense of perspective by usig "T" intersections and wrapping lines (if you're not cross hatching the wrapping lines won't be seen on the figures themselves, but on their clothing which wraps around the form of their body)

So yeah, I wouldn't think about contour too much, and instead of construction and line economy, which includes flow and line weight. I won't get too detailed into this topic, but generally lines facing the light source are thinner, while lines facing away from the light source are thicker. In comics you'll also see light objects using lighter lines, while heavy objects use bold ones and objects changing in line thickness regarding their placement, with objects far away from the camera being drawn in lighter lines and vise versa. But these are stylistic choices and pretty much up to you. I've seen a lot of visually appealing comics that don't vary in their contours.
>>
do you guys ever stop and reflect on how awful you really are?
>>
>>88313272
No, what about you?
>>
>>88313272
It's all I think about.
>>
>>88313272
Artists, so yes. Except the few among us that are special.
>>
File: 1453957562783.png (95KB, 610x707px) Image search: [Google]
1453957562783.png
95KB, 610x707px
>>88313318
>special
>>
File: bd8.png (194KB, 588x427px) Image search: [Google]
bd8.png
194KB, 588x427px
>>88313318
> artists
>>
>>88313331
I know you're trying to disparage people. It's cute. Artist doesn't apply a skill level so maybe go back to vaguely attacking individuals >>88234559
instead of being a pedant.
>>
So as it turns out, you can draw too much. I did several weeks where I was at the table pretty much every waking moment. A few nights ago, my arm just up and stoppoed working. Painfully.
Everything is fine now, but I am limiting myself to 10 hours a day.
>>
>>88313279
never gonna make it
>>
>>88313363
I just assume it is someone who tried and gave up. If he starts to bother me, I figure I've spent too much time in the thread and go draw.
>>
>>88313272
Every time I come to these threads I feel this way. I'm keeping company with literal retards like the tripfags, what am I doing with my life? Some of you are alright though.
>>
>>88313415
Not with that attitude, no.
>>
>>88313272
every day man
>>
>>88313272
>>88313415
When did /hyw/ turn into /ic/?
>>
>>88314187
git gud
>>
>>88309206
don wanna spoil
>>
>>88312078
GREEK gods though, those fuckers can be whatever they want.. a bull, a swan,.. they dont need a peepee if theyre not using it. might as well keep it out of the way lest someone chop it off and do some weird poetiphorical thing where they throw it into the earth and it becomes a nation or something
>>
File: rococo 002storyboard__001_007.jpg (1MB, 643x6370px) Image search: [Google]
rococo 002storyboard__001_007.jpg
1MB, 643x6370px
Storyboard wip for second chapter.

The first chapter is basically got all of its component in place, I just need to finish it and clean it up, now I am also working on second chapter now. helpfully its going to start making sense... I hope.

>>88274948
I don't do it all the time though, otherwise I might make money doing it. haha. I only sometimes came up with idea like it, and I don't know its really funny or not, I just thought it represents my guilty conscience not working on my own characters.
>>
>>88313272
I am well aware. But don't try to stop me.
Because I'm having a good time, HAVING A GOOD TIME
>>
File: page 39.png (892KB, 1125x1650px) Image search: [Google]
page 39.png
892KB, 1125x1650px
WIP of the next page!
>>88313272
I feel really good about myself actually.
>>
>>88316895
so his wrist summons the spears? I don't see some kind of watch or something.
nudity imminent? see bikini or wetsuit ninja don't have this problem.
>>
>>88316645
This is pretty neat. Nice to get to something a little more linear after that jumbled chapter 1.
I can't think of a lot of magical girl stories where the girls don't have a common source of power, but then I'm hardly an expert.
>>
>>88317295
It's something he's had ever since chapter 4, and it's kind of rarely used. Jack mainly uses it to summon weapons , the others don't really need to use theirs because they have powers.

As for nudity... stay tuned!
>>
File: wtaoh_04_11.png (961KB, 1090x1390px) Image search: [Google]
wtaoh_04_11.png
961KB, 1090x1390px
>>88317793
Forgot the pic I wanted to use, lol.
>>
Hello, /co/, I'm thinking of doing a webcomic that might last a while.

Now, I'm in the very early stages and still figuring out tone and themes. However, I want to start with a simple premise that has been used on many comics before: a group of adventurers on a quest to retrieve a macguffin.

Evidently, things are not as simple as they sound, and their world is much more complex than even the characters give it credit for.

My question for you guys is, what is the best way to start off? I see many webcomics that start on a lighthearted tone in the middle of the genre they're trying to spoof, while others have a clear beginning that starts before everything happens. I figured the first and generates interest, but it might be a little confusing to start from there, and it gives the problem of having to use too many flashbacks later to make up for whatever lost. Likewise, starting from the beginning might be slow and uneffective for establishing the tone.

I have the world pretty much well thought out, as well as many characters and events (I'm also trying to make it somewhat spontaneous), but figuring out how to start seems to be one of my first roadblocks. Also, are there any alternative ways to start it? I realize I just mentioned a couple, but maybe there's a better way to begin that I haven't thought about.
>>
>>88317825
>15 chapters later
>art has not improved

Did you ever do any drawing from life like people have consistently been telling you to for the past several years?
>>
>>88317868
I like starting with when-and-why they left their comfortable home situation. it's fun watching people meet up, as long as there's an interesting reason for it.
But if you don't wanna go that far back, I would say the best place to start is the first time they run into trouble, even if that trouble is merely not agreeing on how to go about things. That would be the tv show method. Like, beast wars starts with the run-in between the axalon and the darksyde, we never find out anything about their backstories or why the individuals joined their respective crews, they just.. did it, and that's good enough. It depends on which is the focus of your story really, the characters or the events
>>
>>88318101
Hey, thanks for the advice, Anon. A big part of my project is to be character driven enough that each character has a motivation and a background a la lost. I guess I'll try to something of something that starts cool -like TV seems to do all the time- and build from there. There's lots of things to figure out, but hopefully I'll have some test pages done in a few weeks.
>>
File: page 39.png (1001KB, 1125x1650px) Image search: [Google]
page 39.png
1001KB, 1125x1650px
Finished this page!
>>
Bump again.
>>
>>88277073
n e a t o
e
a
t
o
>>
>>88318052
He's a literal retard, considering how learning impaired he is his mother probably drank when she was pregnant.
>>
File: AvoidSmearing.jpg (31KB, 728x487px) Image search: [Google]
AvoidSmearing.jpg
31KB, 728x487px
>>88316645
Stop smearing your paper!
>>
>>88323673
>loose bits of dead skin
gnaw that shit right now. how can you live with that?
>>
>>88323703
by not being an autist, who gives a shit? focus on your art
>>
>>88322514
Yeah, your probably right.
>>
File: e65.gif (887KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
e65.gif
887KB, 500x280px
>>88323703
>taking care of your body
>>
Any thoughts on this comic format I'm considering using?

I was thinking something similar to Homestuck's format where you click through individual frames like a storyboard. However, I know how tedious it is to navigate through comics like that. To fix this, the comic would come in the form of some updatable (I think that's a word) software where you can select different chapters from a menu.
>>
>>88324484
Wouldn't you still have to click trough every frame?
>>
>>88324484
it only works if you're planning to update at least daily
>>
File: IMG_1347.jpg (78KB, 637x676px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1347.jpg
78KB, 637x676px
>>88282950
>>88311158
>>88312079
>>88322465
Oh jeez I didn't expect such a positive response, thanks fellas
>>
>>88324596
How does this sound? For an entire scene, the images automatically flip through ending with a prompt to continue to the next scene.

>>88324601
I was planning on updating by the chapter instead of a single page. I hate it when webcomics do that.
>>
>>88324484

>To fix this, the comic would come in the form of some updatable (I think that's a word) software where you can select different chapters from a menu.

Like....an archive? ComicPress does that by default.
>>
>>88324817
>I hate it when webcomics do that.
I always wait a while to let pages build up and end up forgetting the comic
>>
File: Zot!.png (50KB, 661x806px) Image search: [Google]
Zot!.png
50KB, 661x806px
>>88324817

>>How does this sound? For an entire scene, the images automatically flip through ending with a prompt to continue to the next scene.

Ugh, I hate that kind of thing, ruins the reading flow.

>>I was planning on updating by the chapter instead of a single page. I hate it when webcomics do that.

Then why not just have one page with all the panels on them, like Zot! did
>>
>>88324817
I'm not sure if automating page fliping is a good idea
>>
>>88324817
>I hate it when webcomics do that.
Yeah but other people don't. When you update page by page, the people who want to read it page by page can do so, while the people who want to wait for a chunk of pages can do that.
It's just more flexible that way.
>>
>>88324484
Look to Kid Radd for the best way to do this sort of thing.
>>
>>88324825
Not really. A bit difficult to describe what I'm going for, I have something like a dvd menu in mind. Pick a book and you are taken to the chapters within that book. Pretty much for organization.

>>88324878
>>88324892
>>88324917
>>88325024

The comic I'm working on is supposed to be like a cartoon, so I'm thinking of the story progression more in chapters/episodes than individual frames. The pages play out more like a storyboard animatic than comic panels and I highly doubt any one would want to wait for an update only to see a character change their expression.

As for the page flipping, I dunno. I could make a settings option so people can chose what they'd prefer.
>>
Maybe this is the place to ask.
A few years ago I remember reading a webcomic that starred two rudimentary figures, one was white an the other one was brown, it wa a gag-a-day style comic and it either started with an A or with an E and the name was plural.
The humor was pretty okay and somewhat situational, or relied on reactions.
It reminded me of Nedroid.
>>
File: I'm Bored.png (530KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
I'm Bored.png
530KB, 850x1200px
Drawing Muscle is hard...

I envy really accomplished draftsmen for doing this daily...
>>
>>88299258
Time mostly. Working full time, working on other projects, moving.

>>88299724
The dip in quality also doesn't help. Mainly why I lurk. But I do appreciate you guys who still read.
>>
>>88328109
you seem to have it down! maybe enlarge that right hand a bit
>>
>>88328175
They're getting a bit better lately
I hope someone's getting the next thread ready
>>
What's the number of readers a "successful" webcomic should have?
>>
>>88328815
Depends on your definition of "Successful"...

What do ya want: Money, Fame, Loyalty, Create a Franchise?

Readers should be a main concern, but ya
gotta realize readers come and go. One guy who reads on days will leave the next, if you want success just have a big number simple as that. Make sure you keep the number BIG with constant content OR content that reaches a wide audience and keeps their interest at a max peak.

If you want a example of how this process works go research a Manga called "Bleach" and see how this number matters to your success. Look into why it got canceled, why its number dropped and how high a number you should have and what it cost.
>>
>>88329008
bleach is finally over? shit, wasnt expecting that.
>>
Alright let's get thread #332 going. you can do it!
put in an activity if you want. worse case scenario nobody does it
>>
>>88330666
Why don't you do it satan?
>>
>>88330773
oh alright.
>>
>>88331105
new brud
Thread posts: 505
Thread images: 148

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.