[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should it have had longer seasons?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 1

File: LOKimages.jpg (107KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
LOKimages.jpg
107KB, 1024x768px
Thought it might make for a nice a nice change of pace from endless "Korra sucks" threads to actually try more constructive discussion.

Korra had noticeably shorter seasons than Airbender did. Did this hurt the show's quality? Would it have been better with 20+ episode seasons like the first series? Would this have allowed more time for plot and character development, or just bogged things down?
>>
>>88161905
It might have helped expand some of the villains like Unalaq, Zaheer or Kuvira by giving more time to build them up, but on the other it would have meant more episodes of awful shit like Mako/Korra relationship drama.
>>
>>88161905
It should have had the assurance that it would get more than one 12 episodes season since the moment the writers started dumping stuff into the whiteboard.

The fact they had to make the first season a self contained one pretty much doomed them. Season 2 should have been a direct continuation of the consequences of the previous season's ending. Instead it was a clean slate to the point it could have been the start of the series itself.
>>
It should rather have had shorter seasons. I believe 0 episodes would have been optimal.
>>
>>88161905
Yes.
>>
>>88163552
That is probably another thing that affected things. They didn't know how long the show was going to run so they kept changing plans. The first season was meant to be self contained. It seems the same might have been true for season 2.

At the end of season 2 Korra said she was "the last avatar". What happened to that? Season 3 seemed to retcon this, since a big part of the plot depended on this not being true (also, she probably shouldn't have been able to use the avatar state since that is supposed to be the avatar drawing on the strength of all past lives, which Korra no longer had access to. Right?)
>>
>>88161905
They had enough episodes and time, but weren't able to pace themselves properly. Longer Seasons would just lead to more "filler" content like Probending and relationship drama.
>>
Knowing that they had more episodes coming they instead kept the characters the same and added more bloat. Characters who have no purpose in future stories end up tagging along because they existed in the past season.

Adding more episodes would only have them stretch out Korra's shortcomings and failures and let them beat her up more, so the people who get off to seeing idiots get thrashed by people who shouldn't be able to fight said idiot to such a degree would be the only ones to get a jolly out of the extended seasons.

What it needed was actual writers with a vision and not just two schmucks who wanted to put into animation the exact opposite of Aang.
>>
>>88163808
>which Korra no longer had access to. Right?
And yet Wan used it despite being the first Avatar.
>>
>>88161905
Length of the seasons wasn't he problem. The writers dailed at nearly every step.
>>
I'm convinced that the best change they could have made was to have had Amon be Koh, like that one poster theorized incessantly. It was annoying back then, but now that we know how the story panned out, it would have made much, much more sense to have had Spirit Realm shenanigans involved from the outset. TLA was about the spirit world through its emissary stepping in to untuck up the ways of prideful people. LOK could have been about how the spirits aren't always right or benevolent, and that their meddling was getting in the way of humanity actually progressing in terms of its unity.

The problem that LOK had that TLA didn't was that the endgame wasn't apparent from the outset, so there was no direction.

I also didn't like what Wan's story did to the lore, but eh. I don't think the seasons had to be longer. They just had to be more focused. Once there was focus, they could have pared things down and made room for humanizing/world-building side story.
>>
>>88163824
Well, there's nothing wrong with wanting a character that's notably different from Aang. It just would have been nice if Korra could have won more often. Just give her a"mid-boss" villain to beat early on, but then have the big villain beat her after so she has to try even harder to win next time.

Of course, this is also the reason why "filler" is not always a bad thing. It allows the hero smaller stories that they can be victorious in, while still struggling with the greater threat.

>>88163809
Again, filler isn't always bad. Without filler Avatar wouldn't have had episodes like Tales of Ba Sing Se, the Beach, and The Ember Island Players. It all depends on how you use it.
>>
>>88163836
Good point. Is that just a big continuity error then? Because I'm pretty sure it was explained at some point that the avatar state uses past lives for its power.
>>
>>88163906
Korra did have mid-boss battles, and she lost those as well.
Nothing she did felt earned or like something she was even striving for other than because other people asked her to do it. Actions she takes contradict what she already knows and she never asks questions. What's even worse is that she is constantly portrayed as not understanding anything while the good guys around her apparently know the truth; or have the moral high ground and don't need to change their ways.
>>
>>88163998
I don't remember her having mid-boss fights. I remember her fighting the big villain in the middle of the season, losing, and then fighting that same villain at the end of the season and winning (barely).
>>
>>88163906
True that filler isn't always bad, but what i would consider filler in Korra was terrible, and having more of that would only hurt the show more imo. It's not like they didn't waste time on it allready so giving them more time i think would result in more of the same.
>>
>>88163808
>>88163836
The Avatar state was tapping into Ravaa's power. Ravaa was reformatted after Vaatu killed her and lost the past lives but Korra got the power back when she fused. Korra's the last of the old line of Avatars and the first of the new.
>>
>>88164179
Isn't that a retcon from what was established in the Last Airbender though? I don't remember Raava being mentioned in that show.
>>
>>88164201
It's more an expansion on the existing lore. She's the receptacle that holds the memories of the past lives and the additional three bending powers. They mention the "Avatar spirit" a few times in The Last Airbender. That's what Raava is
>>
>>88161905
+10 episodes would greatly benefit LoK.

The thing is, the end of S04 is basically the half part of S03 from ATLA; they lost and are now thinking of how to take everything back.

At that point in LoK there was no way to defeat Kuvira; she had a goddamn giant mecha. Realistically, they would lose, go to the fire nation and from that point plan on how to defeat Kuvira. But since they didn't have more episodes they made Kuvira retarded.
>>
>>88164490
The mech was never a credible threat though. By all means it should have been crushed in seconds by Korra and her Avatar state power. The only thing protecting it was plot.
>>
>>88164490
>At that point in LoK there was no way to defeat Kuvira;
The same way that Aang and friends took down the drill. And they did that without having the Avatar State to tap into, effortless more versatile than Fire Nation royalty lightning bending, hurr durr lava bending, and a mad scientist on their side.

The only thing protecting the mech and Kuvira was plot induced stupidity. Which is also the only thing driving the show forward.
>>
They had more than enough time to tell a decent story. Having 12-14 episodes to work with is not an impossible time constraint.
>>
>>88164312
It's just something that after a few centuries gets changed over various cultures. Probably even a number of Avatars before Aang the only source you'd be able to find anything about the origins of the Avatar would be the Great Library.
>>
>>88164642
Cept with even more bullshit constraints by executives like the mandatory clip episode.
>>
It wouldn't have fixed the problem, which is that the resolutions had nothing to do with who Korra was as a person.
>>
>>88164642
THIS. Especially when Over the Garden Wall aired at the same time and told a richer story in half the length of one of Korra's seasons.
>>
>>88164967
That still left them with 11 episodes. Every good movie ever has told a proper story in a fraction of that runtime.
>>
>>88164642
I thought the show was decent, despite its flaws. With a longer season it could have been more then decent though. Even the romance stuff could have been okay if it had been allowed to develop at a slower pace, instead of rushing people together and quickly breaking them up. Seriously, for as much as people talk about "korrasami", it pretty happened in literally the last two minutes of the show,.
>>
Legend of Korra turned out to be a huge pile of shit as a whole tbqh.
>>
>>88165065

There's already a thread for this sort of thing.
>>>88123486
>>
>>88165058
A longer season would only have them add more bloat and do more bad writing. We see this with them having more episodes later on. Each season does multiple stupid things to move events along.

>>88165026
Like this poster says it is doable even with a short length. But you need a plan and a strategy to execute that plan. Bryke didn't have that and constantly tried to add things that weren't needed. OtGW tells a compact story with large themes successfully.
>>
>>88164967
Yeah, I'll give them that one. It wasn't actually a mandatory clipshow episode though, it was something they had to do because their budget got slashed during the production. They were still under contract to make the same amount of episodes, but they had less money available than before. Figuring out some kind of workaround for it would've been challenging for anyone, and I don't blame them for doing that clipshow.

>>88165058
It had some really good parts and some really crappy parts, but in the end I found it worth watching too. I just feel a bit frustrated because LoK could've been so much better if they had put a little more effort into its writing and avoided some very simple mistakes.
>>
>>88165154
> Figuring out some kind of workaround for it would've been challenging for anyone, and I don't blame them for doing that clipshow.

If nothing else I thought the villain conference call was worthwhile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Y-MfZliTw

Kinda like something out of early adult swim shows like space ghost.

>I just feel a bit frustrated because LoK could've been so much better if they had put a little more effort into its writing and avoided some very simple mistakes.

If you could change just one thing about the show what would it be? What was the biggest problem?
>>
>>88161905
No it should have had just one overarching plot.

Season 1 had a perfect premise; modernised city with tensions between benders and non-benders. And it wastes the season's limited time with pro-bending and love triangles.

Season 2 was about the dumbest origin story in existence.

Season 3 was about a bunch of liberal anarchists.

Season 4 was about EK Hitler and her Iron Man suit with laser beams.

If it just stuck to one plot it would have been fine. Or less crap.
>>
>>88165123
Why are there 3 Korra threads up?
>>
>>88165516
The linked one is mostly just people saying the show (and more specifically Korra herself) sucked, as well as lewd stuff. I'm not aware of a third thread. This thread is intended to be more constructive.
>>
>>88165276
>If you could change just one thing about the show what would it be? What was the biggest problem?
The Super Mako Bros.
Remove them and you remove the love triangle, love plots, probending supposed to be taken seriously, and opens up more exploration of the city for season 1.
Removing them then frees up any future seasons.

Treat Korra as you would Jack from Samurai Jack except Korra would be learning as she goes along unlike Jack who has all the answers and can't be stopped. She meets new people and they help her learn about herself and the new world she finds herself in after being sheltered for so long. Then she also helps them with their issues.
>>
>>88165437
I don't have a problem with seasonal plots. A lot of shows do that. I thought a lot of the ideas were good, they just needed better execution.

Also, Kuvira was a good villain and the giant mech was cool. The resolution though...
>>
>>88165276
Yeah, I think they did a pretty good job with what they had.

There are too many problems in the show to name in one post, and I think they should've revised the entire script a couple more times before considering it finished. But if you want an example, one of the most obvious ones would be to cut the book 1 episode with the love triangle BS and any hints to it. You'll get screentime for one additional episode that could be used for fleshing out the equalist conflict, and you can get rid of a lot of the unnecessary tension between the main characters. Shippers can come up with their material on their own, you don't have to give them stuff like that episode.

Another example would be making better use of Asami's character. She needed a more fleshed-out personality, and she could've done more during the equalist conflict. One idea I once heard and liked was that after Lin breaks out Korra's pals from the prison, Asami could've gone undercover, joined the equalists as a mole, and revealed her true loyalties at a critical moment later. It could've given opportunities to show non-bender POV and give the conflict some shades of grey. Also, there's a screencap somewhere coming up with the idea of Asami being the first person Korra befriends in Republic City.

A third example would be to utilize the triad pasts of Mako and Bolin in the story a bit more.

Most of my issues have to do with book 1. When the later books aired, I just rolled with it. Their biggest problem was probably adding massive numbers of new characters all the time.
>>
>>88164490
Of course they had to make Kuvira retarded. The protagonist is retarded.
>>
>>88164525
>The mech was never a credible threat though
it could literally wipe the city with the gun
it didn't even need to go inside of it.
it could just shoot from kilometers of distance. Korra would not even have time to get there. The issue is Kuvira wanting to go full melee for no reason.

Also, i think you're overstimating the avatar state. It clearly cannot even take down an army; Wan died doing that, and Aang was one-shotted by Azula.

>>88164588
>The same way that Aang and friends took down the drill
does the drill have a canon that can shoot from kilometers of distance and wipe an entire city?
>>
>>88167478
>does the drill have a canon that can shoot from kilometers of distance and wipe an entire city?
It has a blind spot. It's always darkest at the base of the lighthouse.
Also why would Kuvira destroy the land that she intends to use?

>>88167478
>It clearly cannot even take down an army
Kyoshi broke off a chunk of continent and sailed away with no lasting aftershocks or tidal waves resulting from such action.
Aang separated the city of Yu Dao from the field of battle in the comics.
Aang made a rock golem in size to combat that spirit.
Aang picked up the sea and threw it on the fires that Ozai's airship fleet started.
The Avatar State should break through the glass and knock the mech off balance enough that the operators inside get tossed around enough to lose conscious from hitting themselves against the walls.
But it can't do that because Kuvira needed to be a credible threat physically.

>>88166915
>Of course they had to make Kuvira retarded. The protagonist is retarded.
But Korra's allies who, as the threads will tell you, are the ones who took down Kuvira and all of Korra's opponents. And her allies are super geniuses and super cops and always right airbender masters.
>>
>>88168205
I mean, the avatar state can be pretty powerful, it allows you to use all four elements in very powerful forms, but it has been shown again and again that it has weaknesses. For example you can deprive the avatar of most of the elements, it depends upon the health state of the Avatar before its activation, you're still human and can still be killed by a stray bullet, and it's also a defense mechanism that activates when the life of the avatar is threatened.

Kuvira's colossus brings the issue that it wasn't really susceptible to bending, they threw a building at it and it still shrugged it off, you couldn't bend it as the Avatar world is apparently filled with platinum, and the cannon was wrecking everything in its path
>>
>>88168205
>It has a blind spot
the canon? no actually. They were only able to get in because they found a way to penetrate it, and not because it has some sort of part that is weak.

>why would Kuvira destroy the land that she intends to use
she only needs to threat to, as it actually worked (Raiko actually surrendered). All she had to do was force them to get out of the city, instead she goes inside for No reason. Also, she had a goddamn ARMY ready that she could send inside.

>Kyoshi broke off a chunk of continent and sailed away with no lasting aftershocks or tidal waves resulting from such action
1- kyoshi had past lives
2- that's different from defeating an entire army; she only took down the general

>Aang separated the city of Yu Dao from the field of battle in the comics
he was also 1-shotted by Azula, and lost to the dai-li

>Aang picked up the sea and threw it on the fires that Ozai's airship fleet started
it is not really clear how much water he moved, pretty sure he didn't move an entire ocean.

>The Avatar State should break through the glass and knock the mech off balance
again:
1- the mecha shouldn't even be there
2- that glass was quite strong (it took a hit from earthbending, and even half a building being thrown at it)

I should also remind you once more that the avatar has lost against an army before. Hell, Roku died against a volcano. The avatar is much weaker than you think.
>>
>>88161905
Yes, that way it would be longer than the first series.
>>
>>88161905
Length test quality. It doesn't improve it.
If Korra were longer, it would have been just as terrible, if not worse.
>>
>>88170584
Well sure, if you hate the show then making it longer won't make it better for you. Why would you want to watch more of something you hate?

But if you actually liked the show but just think it needed some improvement a longer length could help.
>>
>>88171138
Not him and i liked the show, but i don't see how it could get better with the same creative team and more time. Replace the writers and you could have a chance of it being better.
>>
>>88171313
So, do people really think that Aaron Ehasz was mainly responsible for the first show being as good as it was? If he was Korra's head writer would that have greatly improved the show?
>>
>>88171461
I'm not sure about that, it possible i guess. I think that having the same writing team as in Atla and someone like Ehasz to keep Bryke in check might have improved the show.

The only thing i think is fairly certain is that giving Bryke complete control of the writing was a mistake, and fixing that would solve most of the issues with LoK.
>>
>>88171461
>do, do people really think that Aaron Ehasz was mainly responsible for the first show being as good as it was

He was co-producer and head episode writer through the whole show. He was responsible for drastically changing course in season two to include female Toph and cutting out a planned love triangle between Male Toph, Katara and Aang. He was responsible from the start for adding more Zuko content and keeping Zuko sympathetic, and was also responsible for Azula - Bryke's plan originally was for Azula to be Zuko's spoiled little brother.

He had a massive impact on Avatar's production that can't be understated.
>>
>>88165276

In some ways I feel like Korra suffered a lot not letting the show be about the core cast enough.

It's like, they decided "OK, this is the future in Avatar, but it's NOT about the old Team Avatar's kids." And then spent entirely too much time on old Team Avatar's kids, even though of Aang/Katara's kids the only one who is actually relevant to the story is Tenzin. Too much time is wasted on things like Tenzin, Bumi, and Kya learning things they really ought to have figured out as teenagers, which also goes for the Beifong sisters, whose family drama makes Su look like a spoiled jackass who thinks the world revolves around her and Lin look like a salty womanchild who'd rather bottle up her teenage angst for decades than try to do anything about it.

And then on top of them, we got fucking Jinora and Kai, along with Su's family, and Varrick, who despite being one of the better side characters must still be mentioned as part of this problem.

A lot more priority seemed to be given to developing those characters than developing Asami, Mako, and Bolin, who are ostensibly the main characters besides Korra. The group never really comes together or establishes a dynamic the way Team Avatar in ATLA did; after the obnoxious Mako-wank and love triangle of the first season they didn't really seem to have any ideas for what to do with Mako, Bolin got shunted into useless comic relief territory except for that one episode at the end of every season where he remembers he's not a retarded clown and kicks ass, and the writers clearly didn't know exactly what to do with Asami after they decided against making her a villain.

Korra establishing a strong dynamic with those three and Tenzin should have been a MUCH higher priority than the family drama subplots, Jinora being...Jinora, Kai being a shit, Su being a shit, and so on. If you axe most of that then Varrick's spotlight-stealing is much less troublesome, too.
>>
>>88171550
I'm not that familiar with the behind the scenes stuff, and who had what ideas. People keep saying Aaron had all the great ideas and the other showrunners were incompetent, but I haven't found anything specifying this. Where do people get this from?
>>
>>88171461
They needed someone to challenge them and curtail their ideas.

The whole thing of ATLA was lightning in a bottle though, as Ehasz didn't do anything special in his other ventures. You'd also need the likes of Volpe on the team.
>>
nah, if anything the show would have been more forgivable if it had been four movies. Less time for the cast to get irritating, and the plots wouldn't have been so underwhelming if they weren't dragged out across an entire season.
>>
>>88171672
I think it has to do with Ehazs being head writer on Atla and it ending up really good, while Bryke made LoK without him and is was pretty bad to mediocre.

To me LoK made it very clear that Bryke are nothing more than idea guys, and they need someone else to filter through the ideas and make it into something good and they didn't have that someone for LoK, while they obviously did for Atla.
>>
>>88171663
You know what character I could have done without? Prince Wu. He should have been gone after being usurped by Kuvira. Never thought Milo and the farts was funny either.

>and the writers clearly didn't know exactly what to do with Asami after they decided against making her a villain.

Asami as a villain. That actually could have been interesting. Not in an "evil all along" way though. If it was more of a slow burn, with her gradually getting corrupted. And maybe eventually she could end up working for Kuvira instead of Bolin, and ultimately realize that she became what she hated, and took after her father in that regard. Just a thought.
>>
>>88171878

I did find it refreshing that the girl who wears mostly black and red, has dark hair and wears makeup, and is more sophisticated than the heroine ended up actually being a pretty nice person, actually. Asami's visual design had the bevy of "bad girl" red flags cartoons use and it would've been both highly predictable and a little too convenient for her to be a villain, in my opinion.

That said, I feel like they really missed the opportunity for Asami to be a foil to Korra after the stupid love triangle was finally dispensed with. There was a lot of room to build a pretty strong dynamic between them; one's an urbane, reserved tech-head with no powers to call her own while the other is an often-uncouth, reckless nature girl who's rather out of her depth with social skills and modern technology but is an excellent fighter and has all the power, and the accompanying responsibility. There was a perfect setup for a yin/yang dynamic there that would have been SUPER-different from how Aang and Sokka related to each other, but it's like they didn't even vaguely consider it until partway through season 3.
>>
>>88172048
Well it's not surprising Asami looked like that considering she was originally designed to be an equalist.
>>
>>88172133
Waifu-faggotry reared its head and derailed half of season one's plot. Asami being an equalist honey trap is a lot better than what they ended up doing with her, but one half of Bryke got a boner for her design and changed the plan.
>>
>>88172495
Maybe they should have compromised and made Mako a male honey trap.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.